[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_04561.png (941 KB, 679x901)
941 KB
941 KB PNG
When do y'all finally decide to clean your guns, I usually wait until I get stoppages (I had two failures to extract across three range trips) I think this was around 2,500 rounds?
>>
>>61483064
cleanest cop glock
>>
>>61483064
Every time I shoot
>>
>>61483115
you're gonna wear down the metal over time, don't do this
>>
>>61483125
don't be fucking ridiculous do you even know what a bore snake is?
>>
>>61483064
never, because i don't own guns
>>
File: IMG_20240329_090335344.jpg (411 KB, 1664x1253)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
>>61483064
idk man every 1500-2000 rounds or so? I give my guns a spritz with the gun oil after i go shooting to keep things soggy in there but I've come to understand that chronic cleaning of firearms is a waste of time.
>>
>>61483125
are you taking a grinder to your gun to clean it? wtf?
>>
>>61483064
A couple hundred rounds or every 20 rounds if I feel like it
>>61483177
If he cleans them OG military style muzzle to breech, it will eventually happen
>>
>>61483177
why would I clean a gun with a sandwich??
>>
>>61483064
I usually clean them after every range but cleaning involves wiping it down with a CLP soaked wipe and bore snake.
The only ones I really take apart for a detailed clean is my carry gun andy mosin because lol corrosive
>>
File: _abb0db85.jpg (70 KB, 1200x1600)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>61483125
I use a bore snake and CLP like >>61483155 said.
I don't shoot my rifles as often and they always get the brass brush.
>>
>>61483215
because he's from philadelphia man idk
>>
>>61483215
If this was England he would be called Captain Grinder
>>
>>61483064
I've been Stockholm'd by the army so I clean my guns every single time I fire them. It's become almost soothing, especially since I managed to find some of the circa-2010 GWOT-era CLP formulation I used to use back in the day. My guns are always spotless, but I'm otherwise incredibly slovenly.
>>
when I think "I really should clean this filthy gun", which is well before function is affected.
>>
>>61483064
Wipe down the carry gun after every shoot but don't totally break it down. Fully disassemble it after like 1k rounds.
My .22 I deep clean after every squirrel season.
My deer-Mosin gets cleaned with tender love& care after every season.
My shotgun i haven cleaned in probably 6 years; probably put about 4k shells through it in that time. I occasionally wipe some oil on the exterior when it gets rust spots.
>>
File: 1713561331440232m(1).jpg (115 KB, 907x1024)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
im testing soap for cleaning, dont judge without testing. Godfather Paul H. does the same
>>
>>61483064
Almost never.
I just reapply lubricant when they get dry.
>>
I only own 1911s, for the most part, so I clean them religiously. Built up carbon just acts as a kind of lapping compound if you only lubricate without removing it. I want my guns to last as long as possible.
>>
File: Cleaning.jpg (2.94 MB, 4927x2870)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>61483064
Depends on the gun. Most of them I clean every time as I just like cleaning and disassembling them, the ones I shoot often I usually wait a bit like 1k-2k rounds. in any case I don't allow a gun to sit dirty for more than 2 weeks because of my fear of rust.
With 22lr (90% of what I can shoot lately) when it starts to malfunction.
>>61483548
hot soapy water in a ultrasonic cleaner is very effective, I just never do it to anything that isn't completely disassembled or with a simple shape like bolts etc in fear of not being able to dry it properly and then getting rust. I don't even know why I'm so fearful of rust when I haven't had a single speck of it beside when I forgot my 22/45 mags in the rain overnight.
>>
>>61483064
Every now and then when I'm bored. The exception to this is anything that fires corrosive ammo. That gets cleaned ASAP.
>>
File: IMG_20240424_170556538~2.jpg (2.08 MB, 5382x2523)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>61483741
>never do it to anything that isn't completely disassembled or with a simple shape like bolts etc in fear of not being able to dry it properly and then getting rust.
100% agree here, water can fuck up tiny places very fast, dont be surpriced when im telling you most cleaners contain 70% water but dont tell you to avoid fear of rust :) I got a few water soluble rust inhibitors that get used for water cooling systhems or metall cleaners, did some tests by forcing the cleaner on steel with some cotton to see if its causing rust. 30h no rust no problem so its also able to be used as a direct spray on cleaner. Is your autistic RenWax ass in my testing group? This year we do another run with Prototypes, somewhere between summer and autumn. Also got classic solvent, bore cleaner and emulsion rust inhibitor for corrosiv ammo/black powder on tge testing list
>>
>>61483882
Don't you have a store?
>>
File: IMG_0718.jpg (945 KB, 1348x1156)
945 KB
945 KB JPG
>>61483177
Carbon particulate literally behaves like high grind sand paper and will wear down components faster then. Lubricated metal to metal contact that’s just basic engineering dude
>>
>>61483894
Im in germany and do development and production, but we sell within the USA and kind of expand there pretty good in normal LGS. (nano-arms.com)
We did like 50direct non-sale deliveries to Anons by using the LLC in Arizona, that way we keep all the nice Anons out of Fed lists which wouldnt be possible if I send from germany drectly to Anons. I try to bring out a cleaner this year because we wanna enter export with ship transpont (less cost), so a heavy, big and cheap to produce item is needed to reach 2000lbs palet size. So yeah, water based cleaner against oil,grease, carbon and heavy metalls is the solution here. Worked very well, degreasing power is pretty similar to mineral spirit and cleaning power itself is way above CLP so mild bore cleaning and plastic care also works with it (so you remove heavy metall dust before touching it at home). Pic related was done within minutes since the cleaner liquefyed the dirt pretty fast >>61483548
>>61483906
dry steel on steel is like 400-700% faster wear than oiled, I wonder if carbon will reduce that rate a bit or increase it. Its also possible that carbon dust might reduce grove formation on the steel
>>
I always end up dropping my shotgun in water every duck season so that's the deep cleaning it gets, everything else only needs a scrub once a year
>>
>>61484014
my uncle has an old italian semi he uses for ducks. goes ducking every year, has never cleaned it once, not a single malfunction.
>>
>>61483882
>Is your autistic RenWax ass in my testing group?
nah, I'm honestly set with my trinity of ballistol, clenzoil and renwax. Tho I'll be interested to buy some stuff in the future if you make a non toxic carbon remover/cleaner.
>>
>>61483972
>I wonder if carbon will reduce that rate a bit or increase it. Its also possible that carbon dust might reduce grove formation on the steel
Increase. It will absolutely increase wear, as has been widely understood for centuries now.
>>
>>61484381
Thats what I do right now, everything causing cancer or harm to animals/humans inside a house is banned from ALL of the products. Im also testing chemicals to deharm heavy metalls during cleaning, desu the water based cleaner can be abused to work like the D-LEAD wipes but for the firearm to remove dust so its not constantly getting on your hands. We always add the free products to the Prototypes, so you can compare Gold Guard to RenWax for fun
>>
>>61483115
>Every time I shoot
>>
>>61483972
>I wonder if carbon will reduce that rate a bit or increase it.
Carbon is fucking magical. As graphite it's extremely lubricious, as diamond it's extremely abrasive. Amorphous carbon is fucking magically both, it's very lubricious and very abrasive. It is used in lubricants, so I have to assume the slick outweighs the grind.
>>
File: REM.jpg (44 KB, 691x244)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>61484496
Most of the dust is partially degraded nitrocellolosis, its kind of everything but not carbon structures. IDK how hard those random structurs are but they´re kind of similar to molten plastic beads but made from primer material and organic shit. Tests with pure mineral spirits or high mineral spirit formulation showed that they dont like to dissolve there, rather is formulation containing alcohols, waters and a nitrosolvent (what I gonna sell as classic solvent).
>>
>>61483972
Under heat and pressure in contact with steel, carbon will form iron carbides that are extremely abrasive.
>>
>>61484658
Dont scare me, damn! Any source for that claim?
The only reactant I see would be the pure carbon coating of the NC powder that might had a chance to such a thing, not the NC itself and maybe carbon deposit inside groves desu
>>
>>61484415
>testing chemicals to deharm heavy metalls during cleaning
oh that's easy. add some thioles.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0167732220373530
>>
>>61483115
Same here. I clean after every trip to the range. Because I do that, I don't have to scrub with abrasives, steel brushes, etc. I usually just use standard CLP or Lucas, wipe everything down with a rag and use a toothbrush and q-tips for tight spots. I use a bore snake for the barrel and sometimes use those cleaning pellets on the end of a jag w/JB bore compound if I need to de-lead or deep clean stuff like semi auto .22's. Been doing it this way for 25+ years without any issues. One other reason I like to do this is because I can inspect everything after shooting and have found stuff like cracks in frames that I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise. But I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys cleaning them so take that for what it's worth.
>>
>>61485167
That might work but I dont think all of us gonna like that
>Mercaptans or thiols are characterized by their ability to give characteristic garlic or rotten ages like smell.
I got a few kinds of chelators like GLDA or EDTA which should help to convert the salts into indigestible complexes, but that topic needs a visit to a expert for heavy metall poisoning. I dont like EDTA because of waste water problems but if its needed to get the strongest mercury or lead bonding I will use it, GLDA is a bit weaker but is much more eco friendly. Thiols corrosion protection can also be ignored, I got non toxic and smell free amines and phosphates, even a microscopic passivation film from polyphosphates would be useful but i dont think its important since we got oils for protection anyways. GLDA and EDTA will also remove rust trastes and dissolve rust a bit which is a big pro since those invisible rust spots are growing bigger otherwise
>>
>>61485349
organosulfates also work.

you don't need "the strongest" bonding to scavenge some free lead. it will very happily bond with many sulfur compounds and not shake them off any time soon.
>>
>>61485686
thanks ti you I found a useful Chart that shows reaction between free Lead2+ and EDTA4Na. After mixing its containing 0% Lead2+ and the higher the pH the better. Those are somw good news, 2-4% EDTA4Na and something to convert metallic lead dust into Pb2+. Even pure EDTA should work, or a small amount of ammonia to allow air oxidation, that way all lead getting converted. Need to buy lead now and find a way to test for mercury. There are some ways to remive copper and lead without corrosion probelems, cant wait to test that IRL
>>
>>61483064
If you brush your teeth after you eat, then clean your guns after you shoot. Even if they can go a while without cleaning its not recommended.
>>
>>61483690
Carbon is not hard at all compared to steel. What will wear faster, steel rubbing on steel or steel rubbing on something much softer than steel?
>>
>>61483064
Im a turboautist when it comes to cleaning my guns. I put on a war movie and just clean...clean...clean...clean....
>>
>>61483064
Your guns hate you.
>>
>>61483125
>t. nogunz
>>
>>61483064
Pistols after every time I shoot.
Rifles every 3-5 sessions.
>>
>>61483064
Every now and then. I don't really have set rules and I don't shoot that often, when I do it's usually a couple hundred rounds per trip, per gun. Eventually I just think "yeah it's been awhile I guess it's time"
>>
>>61483064
I own blackpowder as well, so whenever I get home with one from the range or innawoods and start the deepclean on my BP guns I also tidy up anything smokeless I took out with me. It's not like it's too much extra work. I've also bought and "repaired" several guns that had stopped feeding reliably because the owners refused to clean them. One of them was a .22 Marlin that had over an eighth of an inch of compacted carbon shoving the bolt out of the track on top of the receiver and another severe encrustation blocking the firing pin.

My carry piece is steel-framed. So that gets stripped, inspected, and oiled at least once a week. I've had too many problems with salt encrustations and pinprick rust to let it go longer. I pop open the mags about once every six months to check for spring rust or fatigue and lube things up.
>>
>>61487770
Lapping compounds don't need to be harder than steel. Have you ever heard of a strop before? You know, a little piece of leather to finish the sharpening on a knife or razor? Have you ever wondered why you have to sharpen a knife even if you only use it for opening cardboard boxes?
>>
>>61489968
a firearm will either have plenty of lubricant, which won't turn into a lapping compount any time soon just because some fouling is added. or when there is no lubricant at all, sliding over fouling will still cause less wear than bare steel.
>>
>>61483064
Depends on the gun. I know I need to clean my glock when I start getting light-strikes. AR I give it a quick field strip after every trip, literally just bore snek and some bore cleaner.

Honestly, the only stoppage I have ever gotten has been limp-wristing from my glock.
>>
>>61491412
I just got my first ar, do I need to clean the tube in the stock where there is that sping with the dildo looking thing?
>>
>>61491491
Oil it like once a year. You'll know it needs oil when it feels like a freight elevator going up and down.
>>
>>61491491
Buffer Tube, Buffer, and Buffer Spring. Yes you need to clean it when it's dirty. It should take a very, very long time for that to happen, it's absolutely not something you need to be pulling off and scrubbing out with every trip to the range.
>>
>>61491491
I typically clean my ARs every thousand rounds because they’re simultaneously extremely dirty and very resistant to fouling-related malfunctions. For a modest cleaning I’ll mainly focus on the contact points like the BCG rails, bolt lugs, and camming pin while giving everything else a light touch up and a halfhearted swab of the star chamber. For deep cleans I’ll do it military style and have to set aside a block of time for it because it takes an hour+ to properly deep clean one AR, much less several.
>tldr buy a chromed BCG or geisseles nano meme BCG and save yourself 15 minutes every cleaning session
>>
>>61489968
i wish i had the budget to buy microscopes, maybe next year than we test that public with some shitty Glocks
>>
>>61483064
Basically never until it becomes a problem.
My 22lr guns I toss in the dishwasher then lube when they're done. Fight me.
>>
>>61489968
Stropping and honing doesnt remove material, its just realigning the edge.
>>
>>61483125
>>61483212
>>61483906
knew a boomer who'd clean his guns after every range trip, and he'd been shooting every week & more, with multiple guns, for decades
most of the guns he had looked almost new, and the others were just standard looking guns
the only time you'll actually wear something away within your lifetime is if you're using the wrong materials & lubricants, a simple wipedown with cotton & gunoil won't harm jack shit
>>
>>61489968
That's not how bare leather strops work, anon.
Strops with green chromium oxide compound, which is harder than steel, do very finely abrade the steel.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.