[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: guncotton.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Guncotton cartridges, which were tested by Austria in 1860. They could be dropped into a muzzle-loader without a ramrod and fired at 6-7 rounds per minute. Guncotton itself was discovered by accident and found more use in explosives, and needed to be weaved in a certain way to make for suitable presures in a gun barrel.
>>
>>61488717
isn't guncotton kinda unstable?
>>
>>61488725
There's a reason nobody serious was using it. Hell, there was a good long period before the kinks were worked out of smokeless. It rarely pays to be an early adopter.
>>
File: 1709159861646957.jpg (127 KB, 909x478)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Starship my beloved. you were too based for this world
>>
>>61488800
gun/launcher was a dumb concept
>>
>>61488810
>guided missiles for tanks
>wide-bore HE at other times
doesn't sound too dumb to me
>>
>>61488821
the missiles were bad and the gun was bad too. just stick a tow launcher on if you want missiles
>>
>>61488856
>the missiles were bad and the gun was bad too
absolutely. but that's not a conceptual problem - or, you're focused on the wrong concept. It wasn't gun/launcher that was the issue, it was the push for undeveloped caseless ammo and the gunbreech automation system which led to reliability and practicality issues.
>>
>>61488717
Is this a reasonable alt-history tech that could've been found in the 16th-18th centuries?
>>
>>61488866
that was the big issue yes, but the lackluster guidance system for the missiles was another substantial problem
>>
>>61488869
Theoretically. It wouldn't take many explosions before it would mark you out as a dangerous idiot though.
>>
>>61488717
Probably the only tech that could've saved them from Bismarck.
>>
>>61488982
being a real nation instead of the resentful populations of the various hapsburgs estates was the only thing that could have helped them.
>>
>>61488810
every gun is a launcher now though?
the only problem was that munitions still weren't advanced enough to be as cost effective as they are now
>>
>>61489002
From what I've seen, apart from the usual 1848 stuff that all the Europoors had, there weren't any real ethnic tensions until around 1917.
>>
>>61488717
>not linking the video
why are you gay? https://youtu.be/eB517d1QMDc?
>>61488725
it could have been stable but if you fuck up in the refining process at all it'll become incredibly unstable, which is what happened. I think something similar happened on a ship with cordite but that could have been also rough handling and lack of cleaning that lead to a fine powder of explosives being spread everywhere on the turret

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.