[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: west_german_ration.jpg (43 KB, 640x360)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Were the west Germans onto something with the food bar meta?
>>
Nah. Most survival rations have bars, its not anything new. If a regular ration was made of a bar of processed meat and some candy, it would be miserable. Survival rations get a pass because they need to be calorie dense and compact, but if your everyday food never looked like food then it would wear you down. Theres a reason so much has been invested in the last 20 years in making shelf stable pizzas palatable and presentable.
>>
>>61488980
>meta
kys
>>
>>61489041
>but if your everyday food never looked like food then it would wear you down.
huh, that explains a lot for me
>>
>>61489041
>but if your everyday food never looked like food then it would wear you down
No it wouldn't, you are full of shit.
>shelf stable pizzas
Great example of something that doesn't look like "food".
>>
>>61488980
There's a big difference in requirements and expectations of survival and operational rations.
MREs might try to kind of cover everything but they end up sucking at everything but idiotproofing.
>>
>>61488980
Low moral high calorie meta?
>>
>>61489136
Great example of a dumb faggot right here
>>
>>61488980
>Ja, Hans, eat your food calorie bar
>now with flavor
>>
>>61488980
I mean it's an emergency ration, not an MRE. It's actually serving it's purpose quite well, something that can fit into your pockets for 24h-48h survival while navigating through wilderness.
>>
>>61489136
>No it wouldn't, you are full of shit.
i dont know about you but freshly cooked food helps me out a lot in the field. Cold rations are alright but if you gave us all disgusting cubes the trenches are gonna have to dig themselves. Life as a conscript is bad enough with palatable rations
>>
RETVRN TO HARDTACK
>>
File: D_ration_chocolate_bar.jpg (158 KB, 686x385)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>61489223
Not to mention, most emergency rations are designed to be deliberately unappetizing so joe, or sailors or whoever won't be tempted to snack on them.
See the D-rat bar, chocolate designed to be calorie dense, as nutritious as practical and to "taste a little better than a plain boiled potato"
>>
>>61488980
>NOT Karamelle
I am not suspicious
>>
The quality of an army is seen in the quality of their food.
>>
>>61489654
I did not know that, that's fairly brilliant
>>
Everyone knows that by concentrating food you unleash its awesome power.
>>
>>61489595
Having to cook your my food is less fun than opening a tasty bar and chowing down. I am a civilian and prefer my breakfasts to be milkshakes, my lunches to be canned fish and my dinner to be whatever I can microwave. Just shovel it in and choke it down.
>>
File: 1534641247652.png (119 KB, 294x376)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>61489136
Yes it would you massive fucking retard. MREs and other rations are a huge tool to ensuring morale is higher in even shitty situations. Everyone has to eat. Everyone has to eat SOMETHING. There's a reason why there are 24 different MRE menu items and it's so when you're passing them around for a mission, person A gets to have something they didn't have yesterday and person B gets to have something they prefer over others.
>Great example of something that doesn't look like "food".
The MRE pizza is easily the worst rendition of a pizza I've ever eaten but it's literally "MRE pizza" and it achieves the stated goal of, "holy shit I got a pizza MRE" for Joe Sixpack who doesn't have access to the Conex burger king at the moment because he's currently at war.
>>
>>61490001
In my opinion, quick food is enjoyable in its own way. When you have work to do, it's nice to just inhale a breakfast bar and get on with it.
>>
>>61489654
Christ. That thing looks like it was hammer forged in the same factory they made their vehicle parts.
>>
>>61490044
your opinion is why the US has such a huge variety of their ration packs. and I'm not talking about the menu variety either. different ration packs for different scenarios. you got the ubiquitous brown bag MRE, the white bag MCW and then those first strike rations. not sure if the MOREs are still around. having quick and dirty energy has its benefits but having a hot meal in your trench you've been digging all day helps prevent war crimes.
>>
>>61490101
>literal warcrime fuel
>helps prevent war crimes.
>>
>>61490101
>having a hot meal
you can heat them up anon if the environment is still semi-permissible. you can't store fresh food well and freeze dried food generally can't be eaten straight from the packaging.
>>
>>61489658
"Not" means distress/emergency in german.
>>
>>61490128
maybe I misread your post because you're agreeing with what I just said. the only one I listed off that both doesn't need to be heated nor comes with a heater is the first strike but even those can be heated if you have the know how. the MCW is freeze dried which you could eat dry but you really should boil up some water for it if you're rucking through snow.
>>
>>61489609
Never left.
>>
>>61489609
Was hardtack actually hard?
>>
>>61490383
German words are so big and complex. It seems like a hindrance when compared to the elegance of English.
>>
>>61490069
From what I hear, it was so dense that you couldn't bite into it. You had to shave off flakes with a knife.
>>
>>61490385
yes retard its basically a compressed brick of flour
>>
>>61490392
>German
>>
>>61490127
Don't you have a half dozen shill threads you can go cry on, achmed?
>>
>>61490385
There are stores of soldiers breaking their teeth on hardtack. You typically smashed them up and boiled them into a stew along with anything else you had on hand.
>>
>>61490426
>Type Stores rather than Stories.
>When the soldiers broke their teeth you packed them into storages like sardines and later ground them up for stew meat.
Christ, I missed one letter and changed the entire character of the post.
>>
File: 1539176598039.gif (22 KB, 541x733)
22 KB
22 KB GIF
>>61490385
find out for yourself
>>
>>61489136
>says the retard fuller with shit than anyone else
>>
>>61489609
Problem with that is that wheat in the past was much more nutrient dense than wheat today. The bread we eat now is basically empty calories
>>
>>61490967
No.
>>
>>61490473
this, if yall havent you should make some hardtack just for the hell of it. it's pretty easy, and you can keep a jar of it around just in case or take in innawoods.
also look up "hell fire stew" if you want a recipe to make it more palatable.
>>
File: IMG_20181121_210049.jpg (752 KB, 2592x1944)
752 KB
752 KB JPG
>>61491147
dunno about keeping them on hand for an emergency but I made a batch a couple years ago for a larp trip with some friends. the idea was we'd bring something and not tell anyone else what it was till it was time to eat. turns out I was the only one who didn't bring beans. our dinner was my hardtacks and 3 cans of pork and beans.
still was more fun than it should have been and I now realize why beans have become a meme.
>>
>>61489136
Not everyone is as autistic as you anon...
>>
>>61490967
That...depends on what you call "The Past". If you mean 100 years ago then modern wheet is actually better since there was this big move to fortify foods with more nutrients. See Enriched Flour. 1000 years ago we had unbleached flour which was pretty nutritious but was more prone to going bad. Arguably the Weavils added protein.

History is actually complicated and I Love it.
>>
>>61491769
The "High yield" wheat species we developed have lower protein and more carbs than unmodified wheat

Which is why it had to be "enriched"
>>
>>61491816
True, although I'd argue that bleaching flour was a bigger blow to nutrition. Wheat was never a good source of protein to begin with and High Yield cultivars merely diluted the protein rather than removing it altogether.
>>
>>61491360
it shouldnt be your only 'just in case' ration, but it functionally last forever, so why not?
that larp sounds fun, been meaning to do one with my buddies
>>
Unrelated but when my wife was pregnant she would binge watch Steve's videos, and more than once she'd cry over how wholesome and happy he was
>>
>>61489136
Try a diet of Nutraloaf for two weeks and report back
>>
>>61492658
nice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.