[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>be me trying to design irl helldivers autocannon in 20x102
>make it a long-recoil action without shitty toggle-bolt that was already there
>on a whim figure out how to reduce felt recoil with the extra gasses by slowing down the barrel when it reciprocates backwards
>side effect is that it vents near head
>tfw I might have made a minor advancement in recoil reduction at the cost of vaporizing infantry faces
/k/ I need to know if venting gasses to slow down a long-recoil barrel is retarded or not
>>
>>61493168
long recoil sounds retarded
>>
>>61493192
in fairness it made sense to me in the 2nd day without sleep
plus i might be able to justify a muzzle device to reduce recoil
iunno, it’s the only thing I can think of that makes sense without reducing the caliber
>>
>>61493168
>>on a whim figure out how to reduce felt recoil with the extra gasses by slowing down the barrel when it reciprocates backwards
so how does it work, like a reverse long stroke esque action?
>>
>>61493224
>it’s the only thing I can think of that makes sense without reducing the caliber
long recoil involves so much reciprocating mass why not a revolver cannon instead?
>>
>>61493247
basically a muzzle attachment would redirect excess gasses backwards in order to reduce the speed the barrel reciprocates backwards
I just realized that it would make more sense to have some sort of gas piston instead
>>
What if you attached a magnet to it so it would naturally slow down
>>
>>61493444
that’s actually not a bad idea to attach at the rear of the bolt
>>
Just buy a lynx and put it on a gimble bro. You're not him.
>>
File: gon.jpg (554 KB, 2560x1440)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
>>61493383
>basically a muzzle attachment would redirect excess gasses backwards in order to reduce the speed the barrel reciprocates backwards
thats a muzzle break, no?
anyway, I was bored so I quickly (and badly) drew up a mock up of how the piston might work
>>
>>61493168
ur gonna have so much fucking reciprocating mass that it's irrelevant. the over-the-shoulder works in a videogame where you aren't bound by physics, but it moves the reciprocating mass out of line with the shoulder, meaning it'll tend to climb even more. best bet is a fuck-you huge muzzle break that'll TBI everyone withing 20ft. maybe requiring a fully enclosed helmet would help with that.
>>
>>61493444
>>61493535
been tried, doesn't work. maybe you could do it with extremely powerful electromagnets, but not permanent magnets.
>>
>>61494209
>ur gonna have so much fucking reciprocating mass that it's irrelevant
I always wondered about going the other way, some kind of recoilless .22lr that you could hang on a gimble on a drone.
>>
>>61494209
that’s actually why I wanted to double-check if my recoil mitigation idea was feasible much less practical
>>
>>61493168
>>61493383
>>61494024
Congrats anon! You reinvented gas delayed blowback, but cludged onto long recoil!
Sarcasm aside, it is a cool idea. I wonder why gas delayed isn't used more generally? Compared to roller/lever delayed or conventional locked systems
>>
>>61493168
>on a whim figure out how to reduce felt recoil with the extra gasses by slowing down the barrel when it reciprocates backwards
So, a muzzle brake?
>side effect is that it vents near head
you fucking what
>>
File: 1484800469173.jpg (34 KB, 492x557)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
So if the shoulder mounted one is 20mm, does that mean the sentry one is 30?
>>
>>61495771
holy based
>>
>>61494438
recoilless rifles require you to spend equal energy in both directions, so you'd be left with a half-power .22lr
>>
>>61496424
My idea was to put the action in a carriage on a rail with a slow spring (or pneumatic piston or something) so that the recoil was buffered over a long enough interval for the props on a drone to be able to compensate it, possibly with a pusher prop just for firing stabilisation that pulses with each shot.

Failing that, an actually recoilless rifle style action so in that case, maybe size up to something with more kick but ideally the felt-recoil stays under what a drone can absorb, since recoilless rifles aren't usually 100% recoilless.
>>
>>61493444
what would this do that a spring couldn't
>>
>>61494024
Look, someone added a spring to the French 75.
>>
>>61496472
not him but I agree. Just some strong af springs
>>
File: vented piston.jpg (23 KB, 416x106)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>61495024
>gas delayed blowback, but cludged onto long recoil!
the fault lies with me for my shitty drawing, but its not actually
the piston is vented, in a similar manner to a hydraulic shock absorber
>>
>>61496807
>[ENHANCED]
>>
>>61496448
a drone can absorb 5.56 recoil just fine. there's a bunch of companies slapping AR-15 gimbals on octocopters. you're not going to be magdumping anyway
>>
>>61494438
A gyrojet would work better.
>>
>>61497523
>an actual use case for the gyrojet
Make it at least .50 cal HE and you're in business.
>>
>>61495771
if you look at the case dimensions it's closer to 50mm. they are BIG.
>>
>>61493168
>>tfw I might have made a minor advancement in recoil reduction at the cost of vaporizing infantry faces
Just vent it towards their crotch.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.