[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bedd.jpg (47 KB, 750x350)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
why during bootcamp training is it always such a heavy focus on having beds done like pic rel? isn't it impractical to have to redo the bed every time you want to lie under your duvet since the duvet is folded underneath the flat sheet (which will come undone every time...?)
pic unrel, don't have a pic of the phenomena
>>
to further add to my question, is this another part of seemingly "asinine" routines you have to uphold like polishing boots to absurd degrees? to uphold discipline?
>>
>>61499778
It's to condition you to do shit you think is stupid because someone above you told you it needed to be done.

The kind of person who asks "Why?" when told to do something instead of just doing it generally doesn't do great in the military.
>>
>>61499775
Its too learn how to do things consistently with discipline and attention to detail, showing the trainers that you are indeed a teachable recruit. Anybody who cannot do this is considered a liability and not an asset
>>61499854
retard
>>
>>61499870
>retard
You said the same fucking thing I did except you did it in the bullshit PR parlance they teach faggots in OCS, faggot.

Perhaps it is you who is the retard.
>>
>>61499775
It's to filter people like you. In the heat of a trench assault pausing and saying why isn't a positive.
>>
>>61499775
>why during bootcamp training is it always such a heavy focus on having beds done like pic rel?
>pic unrel, don't have a pic of the phenomena

please kill yourself immediately
>>
File: roman.jpg (134 KB, 736x1286)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>61499854
This person actually has it right.
I did my masters thesis on historical military training procedures (military manuals on early 1900's).

And they place heavy emphasis on "just do as you are told, and conform to the doctrine". Back in those days (and generally throughout the history) the idea was that a soldier should do what he is told to do, rather than question "Why should I fulfill this order, which purpose I do not understand?".

You don't want your soldiers to second-guess why the officer gave an order to do X. So you condition your men to always follow given orders, no matter how counter-intuitive they might sound for those soldiers.
A lot of military training was designed to overcome this instinct. All the soldier had to understand was "as long as I do as I am told, it will increase the chances that me and everyone else comes out of this alive."

That's why they have you brush your shoes until you can see your own reflection from them. That's why they will make you autistically make your bed until there is not a single crease on them. That's why you make them jump up and down on random commands. To just ...make them do whatever you command, as instructed.

You don't have the time to explaind WHY you gave that command, all that matters is that they JUST FUCKING DO IT! Impractical and ridiculous drills were there to instill this mentality to even the most thick-headed grunt.
>>
File: dolphin.jpg (15 KB, 474x355)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>61500272
disclamer: Those manuals from the early 1900's were products of their times, and more modern social psychology (especially ones emphasizing small group dynamics) have shown that a lot of those training methods were ...not as effective as the people at the time thought they were. And that some of those training methods were downright counter-productive, if the purpose was to create a feeling of solidarity and "espirit-de-corps" within soldiers.

There has been a lot of academic (both military and civillian) research into group dynamics since then, and yes, some of it does suggest that idiotic "just do as you are told" trainings methods are indeed counter-productive. But you can kinda see the rationale why those training methods were implemented back in the day... The officer does not have the time to explain his orders to the unwashed grunts, he just wants them to do that X right now, because he genuinely believes that is the best way to achieve victory.
>>
>>61499854
This and also stupid autistic shit gives the instructors something yell about when they need to burn up a few minutes before transitioning to the next activity.
>>
>>61500310
t. libtard
>>
>>61500272
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
>>
>>61499854
Dirty nigga, clean your room bucko
>>
>>61499775
>like pic rel
>pic unrel
I see you're bravely charting new and exciting levels of faggotry.
>>
File: 1713681245087726.jpg (77 KB, 344x344)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>61499775
Not even a milfag, but you can't expect people who can't bother to take the 20 seconds to make their bed when they get up in the morning to have the qualities needed to keep the rest of their home clean and orderly. If you can't handle the small stuff, how can you be trusted with the proper execution of bigger responsibilities, you lazy fuck?
I realize that this doesn't necessarily apply to a lot of needless and stupid shit that the military still practices in training, but making your bed when you wake up ain't one of them.
>>
>>61500272
>>61500310
Can i read your masters thesis
>>
>>61499775
The pic is of the position people sleep in dude. You're saying it's "having beds done like."
Like are you asking why people lay in their bed, or why the bed is made a certain way?
>>
>>61499893
but mine sounded purtier
>>
File: Thats_the_neat_part.png (656 KB, 1177x629)
656 KB
656 KB PNG
>>61500451
no, because of
a) language of the thesis is not english and
b) doxxing. It has my real name on it.
>>
>>61500423
You don't understand goy. Making your bed is fascist 1900s brainwashing. It doesn't work.
>>
>>61500498
>the jews don’t want you to make your bed
The fuck are you people even doing anymore?
>>
File: IMG_4953.jpg (1.02 MB, 2966x1773)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>61499775
I shall supply you with a pic of my bunk
there’s a few reasons for making your bed this way

>discipline
>unity through same appearance
>hygiene

also you sleep between the white sheets, it’s actually very nice
long hard day, hot steamy shower, cozy clean bed

remember that the military has to teach a bunch of teens how to live together without succumbing to dirt and illness
>>
>>61499775
only the real GIs know how to short sheet a bed , either for appearance or to prank someone.
>>
>>61500377
>I'm ignorant, stupid, uneducated, and proud of it
>>
>>61500559
I can still see some creases, bro.
Better straighten those out.
>>
>>61500588
it’s okay, noone checks on them anymore since we aren’t recruits anymore, we weren’t allowed phones during boot
>>
>>61500496
surely you have references that are close, send those instead?
>>
>>61499775
I never made my bunk the correct way during BCT and nothing happened. The Drills were gonna toss it either way so I just stopped trying. It bit me in the ass at Guard OCS because they expect the same thing, just with even more attention to detail. Luckily I had good battle buddies who would make my bed and I just slept on the floor for 18 months during drill weekends.
>>
>>61499775
>why during bootcamp training is it always such a heavy focus on having beds done like pic rel?
>pic unrel, don't have a pic of the phenomena

groundbreaking post, in genuine awe
>>
>>61499775
Bootcamp is basically what 1950s fudds thought was effective habits and training, and with how dogmatic the mil is it hasn't changed in any meaningful way.
>>
>postural horoscope
>>
>>61499775
Is this an AI bot?
>pic rel
>pic unrel
>>
File: gppgjv36k2vy.jpg (38 KB, 832x399)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>61499775
>>
>>61500899
Worse. It's a bio-robot.
>>
>>61500272
>as long as I do as I am told, it will increase the chances that me and everyone else comes out of this alive."
Ahahaha. Nice one
Point is military service is counter intelligence and against persons interests. Its against most powerful instinct: instinct of self preservation. Following order means runing into machine gun fire and dying. This is why military training is so concentrated on turning people into brainless automata following orders without question. Its to break human nature to make people going against their own interests.
>>
I went through basic at Ft. Benning. The first few weeks while Joes were adjusting, everyone slept under their bed covers. We were trying to find comfort. Wrong decision. The drill instructors would come in all through the nights, have everyone stand at parade rest while he screamed about whatever. You had to snap-to pretty much immediately. On nights that Joes would fall asleep during their staff duty and get caught, we’d either get pulled outside to the commons to get smoked for 15 minutes or just get smoked right next to our beds.

Point being, sleep became a top priority quickly. You learned to sleep on your bed pre-made in your PT clothing and just pulled your shit tight before running down to formation at o-dark:30.

The “best” was coming back to barracks after breakfast to find the drill seargents sacked the entire room and inspection was due in 30 minutes. Beds turned over, a massive pile of sheets, sand poured all over the floor, bathroom thrashed...

By necessity of sleep deprivation you just learned to sleep on top of the bed in your clothes with your PT shoes on. Just ready to go.
>>
>>61500473
That's why everyone respects their E5 and thinks their O1 is a fucking asshole, anon.
>>
File: 1706831066402313.jpg (367 KB, 1269x1080)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>61500310
Give the past some credit, war has changed as well.
At the turn of the 20th century they were still thinking terms in going into battle in formation, charging the enemy in a line.
They were also thinking in terms of conscripting massive numbers of men with very limited training and rushing them into battle faster than the enemy could mobilize.
It's a lot different than modern warfare where you want your soldiers to show some more brains and initiative and also stop falling asleep during the powerpoints.
Back then you mainly needed them to go forwards instead of backwards when you ordered them to.
>>
>>61499775
Anyone else not been able to sleep on their back since boot camp? Day 1 for whatever reason I haven't been able to, whereas before I could only sleep on my back. I think it has something to do with the stress and it's a commonly reported, yet under researched issue. It's not good to sleep on your side and it's causing me major circulation issues as well as face wrinkles, but nothing I've tried works to sleep on my back again. What do bros? I unfortunately can't go back and undo the trauma to ZOG put me through.
>>
>>61500913
>>
>>61501005
>Following order means runing into machine gun fire and dying
Because if you "run into the machine gun" you're actually leaving the kill zone, giving you the opportunity to kill the machine gunner yourself or fight the other riflemen while the machine gunner has to focus back on the kill zone because he can't turn the machine gun towards his own lines and risk lighting up friendlies.
Your instinct of self-preservation will also have you lean away from a punch and put your weight on the back foot while retreating. That's exactly how you leave your chin in the air for the next punch to knock you out cold. You have to be conditioned to duck into your opponent to slip under his arm and counter. Yes, you can duck into a punch. It'll happen, especially if your opponent has read your move. But the natural instinct will often leave you frozen or doing things that could have made sense in nature but not against trained fighters.
>>
>>61499778
Time management
Attention to detail
Productivity
Getting ready for inspection and, later in one's career, performing them. Inspections in general are a very useful and transferable skill in pretty much everything
>>
>>61500559
Canuck spotted
>>
>>61501005
Everything in this post is wrong and built off of misconceptions fed to you by mass media. Before you start calling people "brainless automatons" I'd recommend you pull that log from your eye first.
>>
>taking care of things
>taking care of hygiene
>taking care of your appearance
>being used to fixing things

>will turn you into an automaton
bunch of fat fingers that never served and are still seething posting ITT
>>
>>61501233
>It's not good to sleep on your side
The fuck? Why wouldn't it be? A supermajority of people sleep on their side.
>>
>>61501176
Oh man I don't miss tornados at all. Different branch same shit. Even after I left the service, I still can't take my time eating, I always still show up to shit earlier than needed, but I can fall asleep instantly and wake up instantly no matter how little sleep I've gotten should I need to.
>>
>>61501492
I have big lats and it causes circulation issues. Generally it can cause issues with your back and posture, and wrinkles on the face.
>>
>>61500899
Only a talented shitposter can comecup with such a masterpiece, I had to reread the OP thrice as I couldn't believe my eyes.
>>
>>61499854
I always wanted to join the military but id freaking punch that drill sarge in the face if he fucked with me dude
>>
>>61502300
Based
>>
>>61499775
A lot of it is to condition you to follow orders and protocol out of habit. Sometimes there's just no time to explain and some times the reason is classified so instead of having an argument, soldiers get conditioned to deal with random bullshit in stride.

Sometimes it's an obscure maintenance or security issue. Sometimes you're concussed or sleep deprived. Doesn't matter, you need to follow orders first and figure out the context later.
>>
>>61500310
Anon was an intersting guy today.

I imagine the massive difference in education/wealth disparity/upbringing between then and now also plays a part.
>>
>>61502300
No, you wouldn't.
One of two things would happen if the theoretical you joined a military branch:
A) You suck it up, be fucking terrified of what would happen, realize teh drills today are not going to actually hurt you, just make your life hell until you learned to do things their way, and learn to move out with a purpose.

B) You WOULD throw a punch sometime in the first week or two of basic training as the stress got too much, just like 90% of the people that do that, the drills would be WAITING for the signs of that, and would put you on your ass so fast your head would swim, probably because 3-4 of them would converge on you at once.

That is how it usually goes.
>>
>>61502300
Well anon I wrote that post and I was in the Army for 6 years and it fucking sucked lol.
>>
>>61500749
Based shit bag
>>
>>61500821
More like what 1700s Prussians thought was effective habits and training. To be fair, it does the job.
>>
>>61500423
And yet none of that matters when you're sleeping in a trench and eating MREs for 2 weeks straight.
>>
>>61501318
You cannot inspect quality into a any product or service, it has in inherent capacity. What you are doing is sorting good from bad and it is an expensive but fool proof way to exceed the quality of a poor process by clipping the non-conforming out. Cheaper is to make things so they do not requite high quality or depend on it. That is the soviet doctrine.
>>
File: IsraeliOccupationForce.jpg (252 KB, 724x483)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>61501463
Never served - you dumb fuck, I was not born to "serve". Serve whom? For what? This country has never been for me my whole life. Go salute a flag and buy into all the crap they are selling you about honor and discipline. I don't need another man's approval. Only a trade or profession. My feet and hand and back are not going to get fucked up for a gay hike to nowhere..
>>
>>61503307
>And yet none of that matters when you're sleeping in a trench and eating MREs for 2 weeks straight.
No, but you know what does matter?
Digging a fucking latrine, throwing all your trash in a pit away from your food prep area, doing your best to dry your socks, hanging up your blanket, and all the other inane little hygiene shit you have to do in a trench if you don't want trench foot, rampaging diarrhea or cholera, and lice.
>>
>>61500559
How long is that bed, could a man 6’3 and over fit in without curling up?
>>
>>61501463
Learning life skills doesn't have to come with breaking down your independence as a person.
>>
>>61499775
>pic rel
>pic unrel
holy based

>>61500913
I alternate through all of these except log throughout the night. My sleep quality is terrible.

>>61501268
lmao
>>
>>61499775
In many militaries there is not and they just have duvets
>>
>>61499778
>to further add to my question, is this another part of seemingly "asinine" routines you have to uphold like polishing boots to absurd degrees? to uphold discipline?
In some military regimes people need to be retaught to do everything, how to brush their teeth, care for their feed. Wash. Tie their shoelaces, shave. This is because many people do not know these things and must be instructed.
>>
>>61499775
>>61499778
It trains attention to detail. The army started going downhill when they switched to machine washable uniforms that you don’t press and suede boots. I hate zoomers so much it is unreal. I can’t wait to fucking retire.
>>
>>61503307
>And yet none of that matters when you're sleeping in a trench and eating MREs for 2 weeks straight.
Its actually very useful to know how to e.g sew a button back on, keep your socks dry etc. Discipline in relation to shine and noise, as well as full spectrum. Do as you are instructed and do not question it is vital sometimes.
>>
>>61500272
>>61499854
Idk about other services but the CFETP for BCT states clearly that the purpose of such tasks is to teach attention to detail and responsible for maintaining a standard for assigned equipment.

Additionally but not in writing is that it gives them something to occupy their time.
>>
>>61500559
>creases on top sheet
>creases on the bed sheet
>no hospital corner

I’d toss that bullshit bed into the bay. Then I’d toss your retard battle buddy’s and element leader’s for not checking up on you and maybe a few more at random so everybody in the platoon knows exactly who fucked them.
>>
>>61500749
Based dirtbag. What state? I did guard OCS in NY and my shit was good but never perfect, and the cadre didn’t really fuck with because I was a prior E6.
>>
>>61503912
you don't have to go on this weird little incel cope rant anon, just say you don't wanna
>>
>>61499775
i lost so hard
i don't even care whether it was intentional or not
>>
>>61500559
Yeah that's a no and desu with stat style bed its very easy. I went through basic with the metal frame ones.
>>
>>61501377
I recommend you pull that log out your ass first and take the hint
>>
>>61504753
>kids these days
daring today aren't we
>>
>>61499775
Literal humiliation ritual
>>
>>61500423
Making the bed does nothing
>>
>>61504396
Get a weighted blanket.
>>
>>61502300
(You)
>>
File: bronn laughter.gif (1.79 MB, 355x343)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB GIF
>>61499775
>why during bootcamp training is it always such a heavy focus
Who fucking talks like this LOL?
>>
>>61499775
Literally just indoctrination.
>>
>>61505176
Making the bed it'self is nothing but the practice of making the bed gets you in the habit of following inane procedures even when you're exhausted. It's an easy pivot from making your bed to cleaning your rifle or locking the back gate.
>>
>>61499775
>when you alternate between freefaller and foetus and both of those summaries apply to you
>>
>>61505345
im german! sorry!
>>
File: prone sleepin.jpg (12 KB, 342x198)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>61499775
I trained myself to sleep face down, took me a while.

It is the best position, and, unlike the others. It is useful. It makes your enemies (soldiers, or demons) to think that you are dead.

You just have to be a bit smart about it, for instance if you are in a battlefield in Ukraine, and you need to nap.

1) You need some red on the back part of your camo (you can use strawberry jam in case)
2) You must train yourself to look unatural, you need to have a good arm game
3) the thrick that is gonna seal the deal: you must sleep with only one boot, and an evident sock.

In this way if a drone operator sees you, he is gonna think that you are definetly dead, or dying, if you twitch and convulse while you sleep (if you don't GO AWAY FROM HERE, YOU NEVER LIVED) and so he is probably gonna save the grenade.

I tried this position again and again. My mother got scared couple of months ago because she saw asleep like this after my died had died a month prior.

Also the demons can't get you very well if you do like this, the other day I fucked up...i didn't sleep prone and they took away my cellphone.

I am planning to ambush them by playing the Psalm on my computer on a loop with brief pauses of minutes of silence.
>>
>>61499778
The entire goal is to waste your time doing dumb shit that serves no purpose because your entire job will be doing dumb shit that serves no purpose.
>>
>>61508606
non of this shit will work if the russian drone has thermal imaging
>>
>>61508606
>Also the demons can't get you very well if you do like this, the other day I fucked up...i didn't sleep prone and they took away my cellphone.
what
>>
>>61504803
Maryland lol
>>
File: 1632562991491.jpg (63 KB, 680x763)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>61500749
This you?
>>
>>61499775
I sleep on my back with my hands folded on my chest like a corpse in coffin.
>THE UNDERTAKER
Also had bad sleep paralysis from my early teens to my mid twenties. Shit freaked me out.
>>
File: AMISH.jpg (94 KB, 1200x800)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>61509319

Yeah, crazy shit. So I got all the sleeping problems you can imagine, many of them diagnosed, (i mean i am writing this thing at 330 am).

I think everyone knows about sleep paralysis at this point, I got diagnosed with that among the many other things. Mine was kinda worse than usual.

My dreams where very lucid, when i lose teeths in the dreams, i feel it, i feel the pain somehow i even feel the sensation of getting raped by the entities (sometimes).

I never gave much of fuck about it.

Then my life got worse, people close to me died, I got closed to Christianity and they get worse.

The thing that made me reconsider the entire thing was a peculiar episode.

I was asleep and I had one of the worst trip I ever had in my life, the nightmare (i mostly don't recall it) was one of the most dreadful experience i ever had.

It was so bad, that I tried to wake up, being experienced in dreams i am usually a pro in understanding when i am sleeping and what is real and what is not. (you can't read, clocks don't work correctly...).

For instance when I woke up the first time I immediately noticed that my feet felt the cold of the floor, I guessed it was a good sign, that i made it out, but it wasn't. I kept getting hunted by what felt hours, I kept dreaming of waking up for at least 4 times.

But the real deal of the dream was the cellphone. It happened when the dream started. I felt asleep with the cellphone in my hand over my chest, the cable of the charger connected, passing around my wrist.

Right when i was falling in the dream I felt something grabbing the phone and pulling, I felt the tension in the cable, it wasn't strong, but subtle, sneaky and malignant, i remember when the cable finally snapped.

Then the real shit happened the next morning cellphone was at my feet.

I am pretty sure that i am not possesed but I may be hunted by things that bullets can't kill
>>
>>61502300
>freaking punch that drill sarge
watch out we got a though guy here
>too pussy to write "fucking"
>too retarded and low-class to not swear
fags like you should stay on r*ddit
>>
File: 1683864526185655.jpg (20 KB, 687x622)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>61508606
>>61509513
what the fuck am I reading
>>
>>61510041
Sleep-drunk anon
>>
>>61499775
Eventually, sometime during your training, they're going to hand you a rifle and live ammunition and then hope you do not kill yourself or others through malice or retardation. So before they let you handle a firearm, they make sure you can dress yourself, shine your boots, make your bed, and shave your face properly, day after day, to ensure you are not completely braindead.
>>
>>61504746
>In some military regimes people need to be retaught to do everything
>Tie their shoelaces
>>
>>61500559
unsat, you should be ashamed of yourself.
>>
>>61509794
Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly, fag
>>
>>61513046
Hes pretending to be retarded right??
>>
>>61500559
>no dust cover for ez bed making
>no hospital corners
>top sheet going a whole ass foot over the top of the blanket
Get you shit flipped idiot
also
>implying the sheets were ever long enough not to have you half your legs and feet touching that gross ass plastic mattress.
>>
>>61514904
I hope so. He could just tie a series of regular knots and it would be better than that clusterfuck.
>>
>>61513046
NATO wunderwaffen technology will not deter russian man
>>
Are vets really loathsome subhumans? It's one of those things where I didn't think they were until I started interacting with them, like Koreans. It boggles my mind every time I see someone start throwing around "never served" and then bragging about how much they enjoyed their dangerous pointless indenturement, the Internet cowardice and treachery they see in anyone who wouldn't readily sacrifice their lives for the federal government, and I sorta hope they're just all false flag shitposts but they're so common that I worry you guys are really like that

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.