[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

One of the mods in a discord server I joined uses we/us pronouns instead of he/him she/her or they/them. I think it’s fucking bullshit. I don’t respect it. Can someone direct me to something that might help me understand this better or is this person just a fucking loser with an internet connection? I feel like queer has become a catch all for people mental illness and it’s no longer a source of pride for me.
>>
>>35508353
this person likely has DID and believes they are at least two different people
>>
>>35508353
Maybe this person thinks they're the wrong kind of queen and the royal plural applies to them. Very fitting for a mod.
>>
>>35508386
well right my first thought was obviously the royal we
>>
>>35508386
There's a difference between them using it to describe themselves, and asking someone else to say, "We are AFK" instead of "anon is AFK."

>>35508353
Honestly OP, it sounds pretty bullshit to me—and I'm normally a huge fan of xenogenders and neopronouns. But deliberately overlapping something with a completely different grammatical interpretation, in particular one that implies a first-person participation, is at best retarded, and at worst manipulative (like trying to subconsciously win over sympathy by forcing others to implicate themselves in this person's life).
Like, you can assrape the concept of sex/gender all you want, but assraping language and grammar itself is equivalent to pedo-shit in my eyes.
>>
File: demoniccreature.jpg (20 KB, 330x361)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>35508353
I mean, if you're already being called they/them wouldn't it also make sense to refer to yourself as we/us?
>>
>>35508462
Wait, I guess I misread that -- you're supposed to address them as "we" while *you're* talking? That's just bananas. I literally would be unable to contort my thoughts that way. I'd have to mention them by name every time, because I can't divest "we" from its "you and me" meaning.
>>
>>35508501
No, kause they is referring to someone(s) who isn't(/aren't) you, whereas us and we is referring to you and others
>>
Honestly I think I'd go confrontational about it and be deliberately obtuse. Just make them demonstrate the idiocy of their own setup. I'd just use they/them to start with and make them explain exactly how we/us is supposed to make sense if they don't let that slide, with examples that confuse everyone.

If they threaten to ban me (or just do it outright) and the community doesn't object then I'd say nothing of value is lost. There's only so much bullshit I can accommodate before I take my lumps and go elsewhere.
>>
>>35508353
>doesn't refer to themself as "we"
>>
>>35508353
Total bullshit. Just treat it like someone with an imaginary friend.
>>
>>35508353
yeah this is straight up DID
>>
>>35508779
I can't because the ones who I know who do this do it at the lgbt club where everyone will be pissed at me if I start drama and where pluralism is officially endorsed
>>
>>35508353
i was in a discord server with someone like this before they schizo'd out. very mentally unstable person. but anyways, they had literally 5 pages of names and identities, along with each one's various pronouns. it has to be attention seeking
>>
>>35509915
I can't speak for you obviously but I'd have to *really* want to be part of the community to put up with that nonsense. And even then I'd almost certainly have to avoid addressing the mod to the point where people would notice and drama would flare up anyway.

If "pluralism" means you have to be inclusive of everyone's hangups and delusions, no matter what they are, I think that's just not tenable. And yeah, I feel 100% justified in saying this is a hangup and not "queer culture" or whatever. Forcing people to say "we" and somehow pretending you're not forcing them to enter in some weird implied relationship every time they talk to you has nothing to do with being queer. I'd be open to an explanation of *why* I should be considering this normal and having my mind changed, but I *really* doubt I'd get a good one.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.