[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do trans people (mtf / ftm) like or hate drag? I mean drag shows, drag kings, drag queens, etc. If yes or no, then why? I've been on this board for a quite a while and never really heard any answers/explanations on the subject. Even apathy would be interesting! Thank you~
>>
mtf here
I end up at drag shows sometimes and have friends that do it.
I'm neutral on it. Simply not really my thing. There are some really fun performances sometimes tho.
>>
>>35508964
MtF Femboy, absolutely hate drag. It's mostly fetishists and pedo gays which make us look bad to the public by pretending that they have anything in common with us.
>>
>>35508964
I'm abivalent, I think all the people who tirade against it are usually losers who don't go outside and don't actually know what the drag community is like, and I think a lotta the people who are really into it are kinda annoying, but that's normally the case when people are really into something
>>
>>35508964
tranny mtf, do not like drag. do not like going to gay bars where the focus is drag, do not like going on a tuesday night to get a drink and flirt with the cute twink bartender and then have to see hairy man ass doing trivia while im buzzed.

it’s really not my thing and i would prefer it if they didn’t associate trannies with drag queens
>>
>>35508964
Ftm here, I find it annoying but don't really care
>>
>>35508964
I hate it with a burning passion
drag queen story hour made me really hate it since they presented it as IF YOU HATE THIS THEN THE EVIL REPUBLICAN MAN WILL EAT TRANS KIDS
no, drag queens aren't usually trans women, it's made it a lot worse for us
>>
>>35508964
I’m mtf and I don’t like drag because it’s got huge misogyny vibes all over it. The drag defending libs are gonna come out of the woodwork against me saying that, but it’s true
>>
>>35508964
I think some drag queens are super cool, nice, entertaining or funny. id be friends with them or go see their shows. Others are just wannabe women (and end up transitioning anyway) but dont offer anything from a clown or theatrical or fashion or performance kind of drag. there's also the fetish culture that gets mangled in drag culture which leads to some performers just being gross or people conflating all drag = weird fetish stuff.

>t. mtf/nb
>>
>>35508964
Mtf and i have no problem with drag. I think the only trannies that do have an issue with it are internally upset that drag queens can perform exaggerated femininity and feel happy while they themselves are too insecure to do that comfortably
>>35509089
>Femboy calling another group pedo gays
Can't make this up
>>
>>35509133
this is the only correct opinion. drag is otherwise either meh or fun, having an opinion beyond that (unless it’s like your career ig) is a bit of a red flag

as a side note i do think of it in the realms of freedom of expression/speech and the conservative grind against that doesn’t make sense to me beyond the religious gendered culture war bullshit
>>
>>35508964
I dont mind drag performers, but i hate rocky horror picture show with a burning fucking passion
>>
>>35508964
I think drag is fun, and I think burlesque is fun, it's really not more complex than that
>>
>>35509196
Oh ftm btw
>>
>>35509160
sounds like some radfem shit. drag just makes fun of the exaggerated and asinine femininity that our cultures have embraced a la consumerism. drag that doesn’t do that is typically very respectful and artful and an homage to culture
>>
>>35509220
This is kinda just delusion cuz drag has been around way longer than that conceptualization of drag has. It’s literally always been about “hey how can I dress up as a funny clown today? I know! I’ll dress up as a disgusting woman!”
>>
>Do trans people (mtf / ftm) like or hate drag?
We're not a monolith. I personally used to dislike it but now I just dgaf about it at all. It's mildly distasteful but I use 4chan so whatever.
>If yes or no, then why?
I don't like that gay men do drag in public places and then people act like I'm somehow responsible for some random gay cis men acting weird hundreds of miles from me, but I don't think that's really their fault as much as it is dumbass phobes' faults. Some cisgender drag performers throw around terms like "shemale" a little too freely for my taste and it used to be more common for them to inaccurately use the terms "transgender" and "transsexual" for the shock value. A lot of their acts rely on "oooo freaky man in a dress" as a physical gag or exoticism thing, which is a bit problematic in itself (why shouldn't a man be able to wear a dress and be femme if he wants, after all?) and can also be frustrating from the perspective of the people who actually have to live as "the freaky man in the dress" every day. Drag queens wear "tranny" as a joke but take it off when they're done being the weirdo center of attention, while people unfortunate enough to look like drag queens no matter what they do are left to be the weirdo center of attention whether they like it or not. That can be frustrating to a lot of people. It's like the terf argument that mtfs are wearing "womanface," except actually real. Trans women either don't get treated like women at all or they are treated as women 100% of the time, unlike the blackface performers in the comparison. Some drag performers, however, temporarily present themselves as stereotypical icky trannies and are lowkey actually doing trannyface. It's complicated, because drag performers are not a monolith, either. Not all drag acts rely on transphobic or gender-essentialist tropes anymore, especially recent ones, so it's situational and complicated. Drag artists are disproportionately trans, after all!
>>
>>35508964
Giga-repper cope scheme
>>
OP here. 17 posts in and I already have a plethora of (very eloquent) perspectives on it. Thank you all.

>>35509277
>Drag queens wear "tranny" as a joke but take it off when they're done being the weirdo center of attention, while people unfortunate enough to look like drag queens no matter what they do are left to be the weirdo center of attention whether they like it or not. That can be frustrating to a lot of people.
With this and some of your other points, I think you put your finger on a lot fo my own feelings. I think drag often just adds more baggage to being trans, and unnecessarily muddles the outward distinction of what a trans person's intentions really are, when, in reality, they're just trying to be their authentic selves--Drag is all about artifice, but transness is all about truth. The ideal would be everyone gets to be happy--people do drag shows and other people transition unencumbered by brain-dead associations--but until the base population catches up that drag =! transgender, there'll be problems for the latter, not to say that drag people don't get a bad rap, but dragness is a far less integral part of life than one's own identity.

>>35508986
>There are some really fun performances sometimes tho.
Yeah, much better than a lame band. I mainly just enjoy the crowd energy.

>>35509089
>absolutey hate drag
Your strong take is much appreciated.

>>35509133
>I think a lotta the people who are really into it are kinda annoying, but that's normally the case when people are really into something
I have yet to find a subject not susceptible to enthusiastic annoyingness

>>35509135
Thank you for your take. That sounds like a nightmare lol

>>35509143
Scratch another for apathy

>>35509154
>drag queen story hour
I love election years

>>35509160
I have heard this 'woman blackface' take before and don't really agree with it; no woman really acts like these performers do.

>>35509179
Interesting!

Others I didn't reply to: Thanks again!
>>
MtNB and it still makes me uncomfortable because it's overly flamboyant and feels like performance. I don't want to act, I want to BE. The biggest issue is that many drag performers are "cis" and perform for fun. By comparison I fucking hate myself and do not want to be observed by others.

I still hold a lot of internal shame though. I try to condition against it. I'm a little more comfortable after accepting feminine presentation, meeting a drag performer, talking and hanging out until the flamer voice no longer registers, going to some shows. Hanging out with mtf, crossdressers, flamers and everyone else has been the good for my reducing my shame
>>
>>35509521
> I have heard this 'woman blackface' take before and don't really agree with it; no woman really acts like these performers do.
And black people don’t act like they were portrayed in minstrel shows.
>>
>>35509569
>And black people don’t act like they were portrayed in minstrel shows.
I'm talking about appropriation (how I don't agree with it) while you're talking about stereotyping. It's impossible to appropriate gender because, one way or the other, if you grew up in this society, no matter who you are, you were raised within it. It's impossible to steal or to misrepresent or to plunder another gender in this way; it's all just a distortion of a culture we all share equally. Comparing drag shows to minstrel shows is assinine. Gender is the least sacred thing there is; you should be free to do what you wish with it.
>>
>>35509774
Yeah turns out if you mince enough words and invent your own definitions enough you really do just get to be right about everything since nobody knows what the seemingly barely relevant yapping you’re doing is about
>>
>>35508964
I hate rupauls drag race and but there’s lots cool drag queenz

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.