[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712064294947426.gif (192 KB, 250x250)
192 KB
192 KB GIF
Books on east asia's combination of social collectivism and hypercapitalism? I recently awakened to the horrors of South Korea and want to blackpill myself some more
>>
up I'm interested aswell. I heard that Byung-Chul Han is good but i have not read him
>>
>>23284426
I didn't know about him, thanks for mentioning him, anon.
>>
>>23283235
a lot of it likely relates back to confucianism. and i assume you're aware of their propensity for pseudoscience (MBTI) and cults
>>
>>23285003
yes, and blood types and all that
>>
I'm interested. bump
>>
>>23283235
Mater 2-10 by Hwang Sok-yong is a book on the current International Booker list that charts several generations of a Korean family up to the present day, looks quite interesting and probably touches on these themes
>>
>>23286387
>Centred on three generations of a family of rail workers and a laid-off factory worker staging a high-altitude sit-in, Mater 2-10 vividly depicts the lives of ordinary working Koreans, starting from the Japanese colonial era, continuing through Liberation, and right up to the twenty-first century.
>>
>>23283235
Bumping because I wanna know more about this too. Interesting question, hope you get some good recs.
>>
>>23283235
oh my god, is that windows XP? fuuuuuck that is so COOL! is anyone else into retrocomputing?
>>
>>23283235
>I recently awakened to the horrors of South Korea
Oh that 100-minute video. That's very shallow.
>>
>>23284426
Ive read Psychopolitics, its pretty good I would say, and its written in an incredibly simple, straight forward and retard-accessible manner, which i appreciate. Ive heard Burnout Society is good too, he touches on some of its themes on Psychopolitics. But he doesnt really focus exclusively on East-Asian countries and systems, in fact he talks more about the shift in western work culture towards entrepreneurship, job fluidity, the change from biopolitics and physical labour to psychopolitics and more mental labour, the obsession with data and output metrics, etc. i cant really recall if he even talks about South Korea or any EA nations and their economic/cultural systems
>>
>>23287551
no no, I was just reading articles on the internet and reading news articles
>>
bump
>>
bumpp
>>
The New Asian City by Watson

Goes into the political, socio-cultural, and geographic reasons for this development, and for good fun, analyses movies and literature about/from the era to prove it.
>>
Check out Sayaka Murata's work
>>
>>23287551
Can I get the video

>>23287792
and the articles?
>>
>>23289724
nice catch
>>
blimp
>>
File: IMG_5528.jpg (220 KB, 1200x900)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>23283235
bump
& does anyone have any interesting documentaries on this topic too?
>>
>>23292504
bump
>>
bumping
>>
pump
>>
>>23283235
You should look into the hyperfeminism shit that’s rampant in their society as well
>>
>>23283235
MITI and the Japanese Miracle - Chalmers Johnson
An economic history rather than true /lit/, less of a blackpill book, but a great look at the original developmentalist model in East Asia.
>>
>>23296516
such as kpop?
>>
>>23296989
kpop is feminist? It's very "trad-looking" lately
>>
>>23283235
China and Japan are terrible in their own ways as well. Like you said it's extreme conformism (being an NPC is strictly enforced) and red queen-style competition. You are constantly trying to gain an edge against others from middle school to high school, getting into a good college (you can take a break here for a couple years). Then trying to get into one of the few employers that still offer lifetime employment and working 80 hours a week there until you're 60, OR you drop down into shittier black companies where you work just as much but for shit pay. Oh, and you won't be fucking, whether it's bad gender ratio in China, incel-feminist wars in Korea, or general lack of interest/courage in Japan.
>>
>>23298591
Or you can open a noodle shop, you don't need to work for those companies.
>>
>>23283235
purupururin
purin
purupururin
>>
>>23283235
what is "hypercapitalism"? private property but more?
>>
Chinese grandpas grew up in the sino-japanese war, then civil war and then Mao's Communist rule
Japanese grandpas grew up in the fire bombing and nukes
Korean grandpas grew up in the Korean war
Young "people" are fucking pussies and wouldn't last a single year in any of the generation prior
>>
I wonder if there’s any books that cuts through all the horseshit and deals with the topic in real terms: low-IQ peasants being exploited as slave labor, the corrupt elite / government system and the various social control mechanisms to keep the peasants in line and not falling into the hands of competing elites attempting to seize power.
>>
>>23298565
They had a whole shopping mall collapse and kill hundreds because of one of their aristocrat capitalists negligence. They used to crash planes all the time because of the elder respect bullshit. Truly an insane country.
>>
bump
>>
>>23283235
They dedicate their lives to building up their society, and their society is a monster that eats people.

Theres some weird nuance; by being more selfish westerners ensure the next generation have better lives? This society culls your line if you suffered too much?
>>
bump
>>
>>23299994
To be fair many of the men in those wars didn't survive either
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
>>23283235
bump
>>
>>23299972
My guess is they're referring to the extreme competitiveness >>23298591 refers too, but I'm no expert.
>>
>>23299842
From what I heard the only reason those kinda pretty laid back noodle shops exist is because they’re just owned by rich old people from an earlier time. Either they’re retired or got lucky with when they were born.

I mean to my knowledge I’ve only seen older people own those shops in vids and there’s probably a reason why.
I’m referring to japan though. Idk bout china
>>
>>23283235
Dazai's No Longer Human
>>
>>23283235
Coin Locker Babies
>>
Bump
>>
bump
>>
>>23307640
Why do old rich people want to make noodles for people
>>
>>23309376
Same reason people play games like Truck Simulator.
>>
>>23309384
I am enlightened
>>
File: Disgusted Alex Jones.jpg (24 KB, 462x427)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>23298591
>incel-feminist wars in Korea
Got any more on this?
>>
>>23283235
>I recently awakened to the horrors of South Korea and want to blackpill myself some more
Good. Now research into China's cat torture issue
>>
>>23283235
jfc it's bleaker than japan wtf...
if i were south korean, i would be wishing i was south african instead...
>Books on east asia's combination of social collectivism and hypercapitalism?
The Logic of Collective Action by Mancur Olson. It's not directly related to east asia, though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.