[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Inb4 the Bible
I'd rather accept the inevitable nothingness than delude myself with religion or other illusions.
>>
The Bible.
>>
I'd recommend Plato's myth of Er, if you haven't read the republic yet. It's only few pages long, so there's nothing to lose
>>
>>23297843
Dante's Inferno to help you prepare for what's coming for you :)
>>
>>23297855
>>23297881
If only. Sadly there is no afterlife.
>>
>>23297881
Came here to post this lel
>>23297914
Pay special attention to the punishment for the heretics
>>
>>23297914
>"If only hell existed so I could end up there."
Uh... okay?
>>
>>23297843
The Egg by Andy Weir. It's a short story, but a pretty fun one.
>>
>>23297919
Yes, at the least life would mean something, without the need for copes. Justice, love, suffering, and redemption would have value. Even if the God is a schizo retard as these people >>23297917 seem to think of him as.
>>
>>23297914
>Sadly there is no afterlife.
That's quite the assertion. Hope that works out for you somehow.
>>
>>23297843
Leaves of Grass
>>
>>23297855
fpbp
dubs confirm
>>
Bhagavad Gita
>>
File: IMG_4008.jpg (139 KB, 800x869)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>23297843
On the Beach by Nevil Schute. Good luck facing the unknown.
>>
>>23297843
If you'd rather accept "inevitable nothingness" you wouldn't be asking for book recs.
>>
File: Oppenheimer.jpg (210 KB, 3840x1738)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
Who is the Philosopher of death? Epicurus? Cioran?
>>
>>23298024
Its always nice to read about others' thoughts on death.
>>
Brothers Karamazov
McDuff translation is my personal favorite
>>
>>23297843
>I'd rather accept the inevitable nothingness
It's foolish to imply you have a choice in the matter.
>>
what, you don't want to worship jews?
what is it about genital mutilating yids you don't want to read about?
do schizophrenic child mutilators not strike your fancy?
gawd chose those blood ritual performing desert rats so I think it'd be best for your to read about jews.
>>
>eternal nothingness is bad
I don't see why everyone is afraid of this.
My life is mostly work and stress with only a little relief now and then.
>>
>>23298060
Everyday millions die believing that they are going to heaven or at least meet god...
>>
>>23298070
kek.
>>
>>23298084
What does this have to do at all with my post? Death is death. Musing and writing poetry about it is just as much of a cope as believing in allah and his 99 virgins.
>>
>>23298106
Not the same. Ask any religious person.
>>
>>23298122
>Ask any religious person.
Why?
>>
File: 24-clarke-faust_900.jpg (240 KB, 900x593)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>23297914
>Sadly there is no afterlife.
He said, failing to utilize the scientific method to justify his positive claim to negative presence.

Can you prove life exists? Define life. Define existence. By what metric are you measuring existence? Is that metric reliable? Are you sure it's not founded on some sort of assumption? Please prove the validity of the scientific method using the scientific method.
Failing that, logic.
Failing that, maybe a smug infographic you found on reddit.
Failing that, send me all your money because you're up there without a paddle.

I stand firmly rooted in delusion, losing nothing and never.
>>
>>23297843
You might read Buddhist literature.
>>
>>23298148
The null hypothesis is that there is not an afterlife. Among other things, we know based on the existence of psychoactive substances, brain damage etc that the mind is instantiated in the brain; we have no evidence of a mechanism by which the pattern of information in the brain would be preserved after death. Asserting that there is an afterlife is kind of like asserting there's a teapot orbiting somewhere out past Mars, too small for our best telescopes to detect; it can't in principle be proven there isn't, but there's no good reason to think there is.
>>
>>23298156
Any book in specific?
>>
>>23297914
How are you certain?
>>
>>23298187
The Tibetan Book of the Dead, perhaps. Or the Heart Sutra with a good commentary.
>>
>>23298164
And so I take issue with reason itself.

For reason itself to hold water, it must be reasonable to be reasonable. Unfortunately, reason, begins from a position devoid of reason. It begins with, like everything else within it, an axiom, an assumption. That assumption being that reason is a truthful means of determining the truthfulness of other information.

Logic itself is void of logic in fundament.

I'd argue it might be defensible to then say "well it works because it's worked historically" but that wouldn't be reasonable, would it? Past performance is no indication of future success. Logic, reason, science, etc are a hot hand fallacy.
>>
>>23298139
NTA but why do you think?
>>
>>23297881
Pride is supposed to be worthy of death in the Bible but Christians are so smug about other people supposedly going to hell
>>
>he took the vaccine
>>
>>23298232
It's probably supposed to reveal some kind of self-evident truth that makes it so that anon doesn't need to actually explain the difference between religious and non religious coping with death.
>>
>>23298187
I'd recommend the Long Discourses of the Buddha. It's a really good exposition on the basic Buddhist canon. After that, check out the Avatamsaka Sutra, but be warned that one's like 2.5k pages.
>>
>>23297843
What's killing you, anon?
>>
>>23298521
Melanoma that metastasized.
>>
>>23297843
Alan Moore's Voice of the Fire and Jerusalem.
>>
>>23298256
Everyone has the capability to bypass hell. Jesus Christ is here for you. There's nothing smug about that.
>>
>>23297843
If you believe in nothingness then you don’t deserve to read a book about the wisdom of death you retard
>>
>>23300034
I'll bite. What's beyond death?
>>
>>23297843
>>
File: skelehell.gif (370 KB, 206x176)
370 KB
370 KB GIF
>>23297914
>>23298148
Buddhists push the kooky scale with their practices but they know more about what happens after death than any other mortals
>>
File: 1502829838753.jpg (81 KB, 500x748)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Here's the big ramble on dying whether you deserve it or not. Again Buddhists know how it works but other religions grasp some of it.
>souls exist
>souls are not born for a short time to only be sorted into heaven or hell forever because that is both unfair, insane and probably not justified Biblically. Many church founders believe in reincarnation
>endless souls being forged from nothing and then tossed aside is also supremely wasteful whatever divine powers seem to be smarter than that judging by creation
>odds are you will be reborn
>but not right away
>in life you accrue good or bad karma
>unlike western imbecile perspectives this karma will last into the afterlife or the next life
>your karma can either be cashed in during the afterlife for paradise (or torture)
>or your karma will carry over into the next life
>this depends on yourself but also some divine plan

When little children get murdered, the atheist says "that sucks." The Christian asks "why God why?" The Buddhists knows they murdered someone else in their past life, and they must learn their lesson, the punishment.
>>
>>23300510
If you don't remember anything from your last life then in what meaningful sense do you count as the same person?
>>
File: 1542656413396.jpg (477 KB, 1000x750)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>23300517
You have more than memories. You have your inclination, your character, your flaws. If your memories were wiped you would still have your innate preferences and inclinations not only to interests but whatever method of moral reasoning. Changing these is a slow process if it happens at all.
>>
>>23300510
>distant ancestor pisses on Buddha's statue
>his great-great-great-great-great-grandson gets beheaded while playing with legos
>Buddhists: cosmic wheel of karma achieved, he deserved the punishment
>>
>>23300539
That is not what he described at all what the fuck?
>>
File: 1616089822727.jpg (64 KB, 500x507)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>23300539
I've only read the basic bitch book intro book to Buddhist lore
>>whereas rebirht is choiceless, the idea of reincarnation involves choice. It denotes the power of virtuous people to determine their future rebirth...
>when death is near, it is essential to turn your thoughts to spiritual practice, since the mind at the time to dying is proximate cause of the continuation into the next lifetime...
>even after you have taken rebirth in a lower realm as a result of killing, if you then succeed in gaining a human rebirth it is short-lived. The effect of stealing means that one will not enjoy material comforts, and the effect of sexual misconduct entails a faithless partner. If you have offended people you will be subject of insult, and if you have stirred up ill-feeling within a family or community or the effect is that your friends will fall out with you; and so on
- "Daldi Lambo's little book of inner peace: the essintial life and teachings," by his holdiness bvaldi malo
Actually I would recommend this book to OP
>>
File: 1646329270269.jpg (24 KB, 549x471)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Building on the previous post:
I have this fucked up theory where Christianity drove the success of the West by preaching virtue and insisting that there's an eternal afterlife of paradise. So people live out decent lives, build a decent character, and then expend most all of their good karma in the afterlife since that's what they expect. So you have a bunch of rather virtuous people being reborn in mandatory good circumstances that are compelled to make life even better somehow.
>lmao got em
Something apparently went fucky with it though.
>>
Siddhartha...? Steppenwolf?
>>
File: king skele.png (798 KB, 1583x1012)
798 KB
798 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdE8FD-5XqQ
>>
>>23297843
The Bible.
"1There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is common among men: 2A man to whom God hath given riches, wealth, and honour, so that he wanteth nothing for his soul of all that he desireth, yet God giveth him not power to eat thereof, but a stranger eateth it: this is vanity, and it is an evil disease. 3If a man beget an hundred children, and live many years, so that the days of his years be many, and his soul be not filled with good, and also that he have no burial; I say, that an untimely birth is better than he. 4For he cometh in with vanity, and departeth in darkness, and his name shall be covered with darkness. 5Moreover he hath not seen the sun, nor known any thing: this hath more rest than the other. 6Yea, though he live a thousand years twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?

7All the labour of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled. 8For what hath the wise more than the fool? what hath the poor, that knoweth to walk before the living? 9Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the desire: this is also vanity and vexation of spirit.

10That which hath been is named already, and it is known that it is man: neither may he contend with him that is mightier than he. 11Seeing there be many things that increase vanity, what is man the better? 12For who knoweth what is good for man in this life, all the days of his vain life which he spendeth as a shadow? for who can tell a man what shall be after him under the sun?"
-Ecclesiastes 6
>>
>>23300510
>The Christian asks "why God why?"
No. A Christian would not, only those that believe in a fairy tale idea of God instead of reality
>"As it is written: “There is none righteous, no, not one; There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one.” - Romans 3:10-12
>" Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. " -Psalm 51:5
> The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies. - Psalm 58:3
>"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23
>>
>>23299443
Sorry fren, that sucks
>>
>>23300594
A bildungsroman is like the worst possible suggestion here.
>>
>>23299443
Man that's terrible I'm so sorry. How old are you?
>>
File: 1589876467683.gif (77 KB, 324x333)
77 KB
77 KB GIF
>>23300936
>There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God
Maybe this was true at the time. Jesus at least was forbidden from lying. I would trust his words but as to the Epistles, you should take them for what they are. Instructions from disciples who interacted with Jesus but were not up to par. All his disciples failed, which is why he told them to buy swords. There was (and is) a call to be like Jesus. Your book has a call to overcome or conquer. To those who do and so on receive
>the morning star (an angel)
>hidden mana
>a new name
>a glowing stone
>the right to rule
Not to mention Revelation 20:4
These are all largely mysteries but Pastor Moron will insist that sacred privileges are promised to people after they die. But God himself insists in the clearest possible way, repeatedly, that anyone who lies will face a second death. That doesn't seem to bother them.
>>
>>23297843
Leaves of grass
>>
>>23297843
>>23299443
Check out Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther. It's a father's memoir of his son's losing battle with a brain tumor from the 1940's.
>>
>>23300510
>for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
There is no karma or justice in this world.
>>
>>23297843
Maybe some Cioran and Ligotti would suit your present situation. I know this may come off as callous, it's not my intent, but maybe some pessimistic philosophy / fiction could help ease the the pain of an imminent exit from life. I'm sorry you're going through this anon
>>
>>23300580
Except if you have good karma you dont get reborn as a human
>>
>>23297843
>>23299443
>I'd rather accept the inevitable nothingness than delude myself with religion or other illusions.

Sounds like you made an opinion on something for yourself before you bothered to try or even get to know what it is you're talking about.

Your deathbed is the last place on which you should be on a high horse. I can assure you there is little reason to doubt the resurrection of Jesus.

https://youtu.be/lctv_pyT62o

Read the New Testament. If you don't think you'll have enough time, at least read Luke or John.

Christ loves you. Please don't consign yourself to despair. There's no comfort your way of thinking.
>>
>>23297914
You're more certain of that than I've been of most things in my life. I'm curious how you're so sure
>>
>>23299443
Please try prayer. Not in an attempt to get better but to help your internal state. God can grace you with peace if you pour your heart out to him.
>>
>>23298256
Can't speak for other denominations but Catholics hate the souls in hell. Deus vult

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.