[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1687110674471672.jpg (426 KB, 828x659)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
How do I cope as a man with a burning passion to write all the time, but knowing I'll never escape my wagecage?
I have written two novels (unpublished), a dozen short stories and a handful of poems, so I have managed thus far. But due to the mounting financial strain I am having to consider letting my dream die in order to just stay afloat.
Feels bad, man.
>>
>>23306824
Just write and have a job at the same time? are you stupid?
>>
there are 24 hours in a day, you have time
>>
>>23306824
I used to know a homeless guy that shoplifted apples and oranges from Walmart. He said he used to be a former bank robber too. Alternatively, one could hack into companies and sell the stolen data on the deepweb. Or stalk and break into high class homes for expensive jewelry, sell counterfeit identities, peddle drugs into unsuspecting neighborhoods, run a scamming operation, etc. Then you can write about your experience for other struggling writers that also need guidance and money.
>>
>>23306824
I did an MFA in writing and one of the most emphasized points the faculty imparted was that your writing practice has to be adaptable. They told us that since it was unlikely that we’d finish with a book deal/teaching position, our biggest struggle would be reframing our process to fit our lives and most alumni face that issue.

My personal recommendation to you is to prioritize your finances right now. With the little time you might have, instead of writing new things 1) revise what you have until it is near perfect, 2) send your work to lit mags, agents, and publishers, and 3) look for a low stakes community to join. Number 2 is essential because it requires little time and will keep the dream alive and justify continuation — in addition to boosting your chances for success.

Being a writer requires more than just writing, this change in your life might be a good reason to focus on those other parts.
>>
>>23306824
Unironically just go find an adderall dealer in your city/town and get the 10mg ones and open the capsule and take half of it as soon as you get home. You can try drinking a little coffee with it as well. They don’t cost much, in America adderall usually goes for a dollar a mg so you’d be spending like $5-7 every day to give yourself the energy to sit down and write once you get home. If you want to not build a tolerance to it then just take it every other day. You don’t need a whole lot for your purposes, just enough to kickstart yourself for the after work brainfog.
>>
>>23306824
I have a PhD in theoretical physics and am currently doing a postdoc in a foreign country. However I get paid less than a McDonald's salary in my home country, and my long distance gf is a medical doctor earning enough for both of us. I have never written anything lengthy but have wanted to since the past ten years maybe I will quit my carrer and do it
>>
sorry anon but 80 iq is terminal
everyone even 90 iq has figured this money shit out already
>become welder/electrician
>takes about a month, apprenticeship, and THEY pay YOU due to hyper demand
>doesnt require uni degree
>pays more than humanities professors
>you are now making more money than 70% of the population of your city
>proceed to invest this in sp500 or similar broad index fund, which has been profitable since 1920s for fucks sake
>do it for a year or two
>>>congratulations, you can now proceed to work 4 hours a day, self employed and semi retired
>>
>>23306824
Haha that picture is so funny. I get a chuckle pver that quirky picture. HAha that picture is so funny
I get a chuckel
>>
>>23307234
this is such a fucking meme, there is nothing wrong with being a tradie but it is in no way easy mode like the anons on here claim it is. and lmao good luck taking an apprenticeship past 20 with literally any company.
>>
>>23306824
Read Bukowski
>>
>>23307249
>this is such a fucking meme
economy is such a fucking meme, so is the uni scam in the current year
listen
if this is a village of 20 people that only produces apples
19 of the retards want to go into apple marketing, apple journalism, apple fashion, apple poetry.... and the 1 guy actually growing the fucking apples gets like 99% of the money that this village makes

mechanics and electricians and welders are the one guy picking apples in world economy, the rest are sheltered rich kids who want to be a princess when they grow up, thinking economy is all just hobbies and preferences and feelings and happy thoughts
>>
>>23307234
The wagie mirage: trade jobs
Tradesman are basically shyster ponzi schemers with this make belief shit.
>>
>>23306824
just write potboilers under a penname. Write some romance slop for lonely MILFs, it's a goldmine
>>
>>23307336
average lelectrician makes what humanities phd weekly income every day on his way to work as a side job that was just along the way because he happened to be carrying his insulated wire pliers already

look up how much money it is to install an elevator or even an infrared motion sensor/camera
>>
>>23307380
Yeh, there's money in it. I'm not disputing that. But it's not as easy to get into as you like to say. Well, not nowadays at least. Although you are right, tradie lifestyle is the best way to go
>>
>>23306824
If you're considering quitting because of mere financial concerns, this isn't for you. I get that this is a pity-post, but unless you're in your thirties, I'd say you still have ample time to make things work. I have three different jobs and still write every single day, no matter what. You should be more concerned with the quality of your writing than anything else.
>>
>>23307410
mate i signed up for janitor at the food factory
they needed help installing induction sensor, they told me 'here mate just hold this for me'
next day i had to help with wiring 24v dc infrared motion sensor because they were short on people
next week, i was wiring up linear motor encoder because they all thought i was a triple digit iq type
before you know it, i was reading a frequency drive wiring booklet and manually typing motor controls
a month later, i am installing automatic motor controls into a plc
3 months later, im reading schematics, swapping damaged relays and fuses, wiring overcurrent protections, thermal protections, measuring reactive power, juggling capacitors resistors and inductors, slapping pilz sensors and safety circuits on things, fine tuning servo motors on more precise machines, checking piezoelectric scales....

meanwhile you have rich kids with university degrees who dont know which side of a screwdriver to hold
no shit im outearning 90% of the workforce my age, what use is your degree when the machine stops and you dont understand why 3phase asynchronous motor is overheating
>>
>>23306824
Not difficult to escape wage life, you just need to make the sacrifices required to do it. You don't actually want to escape or you would.
>>
>>23306824
write for the feels, not for the steals.
>>
All you need is charisma dipshit
Each person has a unique path towards charisma that is individuated to them specifically
>>
>>23307249
It’s really not that hard man. Especially if you can find a union job or something because those guys already make like $30/hr and only work 4 days anyway. Yeah, it’s gonna be pretty taxing if you’re a roofer or framer but as long as you have an IQ above watching family guy every night then you can do the big money jobs like pipefitter, welder, boilermaker, electrician, etc. Those guys can unironically show up 2 hours late, leave 2 hours early, do half their job, and still get paid in full. There’s a pretty good sweet spot in trades where you can do the jobs that are too heady for the idiots that do manual labor and not heady enough for the eggheads that go on to get PHDs in gender science.
>>
Economy = STEM
>but anon, only 3% of the population can get a stem degree!
Yes. Kinda reminds you of when only 3% of the people had degrees and degrees were useful.
If you arent smart enough for a STEM, just go into trades, which is STEM for retards.

Outside of this hierarchy, there exists only minwage. Permanent minwage. Office. Service sector. Cashiers. Made up adult daycare 'jobs', invented by politicians and women, for women. Filtered out of real economy. Tax subsidized, non market, no private sector, no real jobs.
Holy shit if you find yourself here, suicide is the only escape from this gulag.
>>
>>23307495
The fakeconomy has many rings and many different magnitiudes, applied charisma has one of the highest outputs

Charisma can be filtered into:
dependability - most common, most widely appreciated, lowest compensation
dominance - medium frequency, medium appreciation, medium compensation
visionary - lowest frequency, lowest appreciation, highest potential compensation
>>
If you are consistently dependable you can manage a grocery store or run a gas station (or just do trades obviously, then you don't even have to be dependable) and enter the low middle class
If you are consistently dominant you can make it in sports, sales, etc
If you are consistently visionary... then you have to figure it out for yourself
>>
>>23307506
Personally I only appreciate stuff like heavy industry, construction jobs, military jobs, and various mathematics based fields like engineering.
The rest of the economy is too.. fake. Its just fake. Its pseudo economy to me. Not empirical, not measurable, not touchable. Its a cargo cult. Its real to the buttnaked primitives with sticks who cant integrate differential equations and analytic geometry.
They go around in circles, scamming each other, and getting angry at being poor.

Mathless academia has been a debt pyramid scheme degree mill that isnt even trying to pretend they are intellectuals. Math based stuff is inventing trillion dollar industries (semiconductor, nuclear, aerospace, etc). Mathless is inventing trillion new genders.
>>
>>23306824
Post your best short story, I will read it.
>>
>>23306824
Just write for writings sake and publish for free just for people to read. (You can post it completely online like all tomorrows)
There’s also the fact a lot of western classics were written by people with full time jobs. Some being appreciated after they died and some before.
>>
>>23307542
>Mathless academia has been a debt pyramid scheme degree mill that isnt even trying to pretend they are intellectuals. Math based stuff is inventing trillion dollar industries (semiconductor, nuclear, aerospace, etc). Mathless is inventing trillion new genders.
I can agree to an extent but the extent of your hyperbole reduces your persuasiveness
>>
>want to escape the wage cage
>what you just need a new cage
All the tradies itt are not doing much to dispel the view that tradies are morons.
>>
>>23307578
>get more money
>go on bigger better vacations
>fuck tighter hotter hoes of all different shades
I see nothing wrong with this
>>
>>23306824
You're learning that writing is a career for the rich and privileged only. Which is why so much modern writing is trash.
>>
>>23307578
Electricity is mentally stimulating, fun, makes cool noises AND is paid 15 times more than anything in the service sector.
Also its not a cage if you can go self employed AND retire after 5 years of eating noodles and investing responsibly in stocks with strong quarterly fundamentals.

Writing is a hobby and hobbies have to be earned through jobs. Real jobs, like being an electrician.
>>
>>23307590
A consistent visionary could supercede this
>>
>>23307596
But he still couldn't get published, because he's got the wrong identity profile and lacks connections in the publishing industry.
>>
>>23307600
then suck a little dick goddamn
>>
>>23307600
>A consistent visionary could supercede this
>>
>>23307594
>Also its not a cage if you can go self employed AND retire after 5 years of eating noodles and investing responsibly in stocks with strong quarterly fundamentals.
Yes it is. You think you will be able to break out that cage in 5 years but life generally does not follow a plan. You sound like you are in high school.

My father was an electrician so I grew up doing it, it was fun when I was 10 but helping out dad was always fun when I was 10. It is a highly variable field that goes from boom to bust regularly which is why most opt for being an employee and having a regular paycheck. Also, if you don't put in a decade or two making connections before going self employed you will not make much money, you won't get the good jobs like wiring that new housing development, you will just be replacing outlets and basic bitch shit.
>>
>>23306824
>I have written two novels (unpublished)

If you've written two novels that are unpublished, I'd say you have to move on. You are probably setting yourself up for disappointment if this is "the dream" and you don't have something better to live for.
>>
>>23306824
this is less torturous than wanting to make tv and movies i guess
it just depends on who you spend time with
>>
>>23306824
What exactly do you plan to accomplish with your writing? Can anyone here answer this question with something truly meaningful?
>>
>>23309080
Not OP but for me it is that literature is the most direct way to communicate with people, everything else relies too heavily on emotion and/or societal norms.
>>
If you only care about getting your work published then why haven’t you just self published on Amazon?

I did this with my book, it didn’t set the world on fire or anything but I’ve sold a few hundred copies and made money for something I would have written regardless because I wanted to.
>>
>>23306824
At least you have a job.
I've been NEET for four years now.
I wrote four novels, and probably more poetry than you, and probably learned more languages. In one way I am much freer, but on the other I have no money and live with my parents at nearly 30 years of age.
Being a wageslave is not that bad, I would imagine.
I recommend getting a government job. It's what I'm trying to do now. I don't know how it is in your country but these tend to be harder to get fired from, and also everyone is lazier, so you work less. My sister has an "enviable", well-paying corporate job and she truly is a slave, poor thing.
>>
>>23306824
It's called being a "tortured artist", essentially, you're (you are) suffering is essential for the greatness of your work to even exist!

idk... like other anons say here... do both? (insert the old meme where the girl says "why not both?"). I really hope the world is not in such a state that someone who has the drive and ability to write several books can't do so due to the side-quests of life. If that's your reality, then know it's probably not your fault and that the world has failed you!
>>
>>23306824
it's over
>>
>>23307230
I too have a phd in theoretical physics but I've quit to work in finance. Fuck moving countries every 2 years. Academia can blow it out my ass.
>>
>>23309431
Yeah I think best bet is the gov jobs. Looking at trying my hand in it myself. Issue is I need more training for IT jobs, and Intel would need certs. Cybersecurity seems cool but eh. I am ok maybe doing reserves for Zog, since its a relatively easy paycheck with some good benefits. Idk in an ideal world I could just neet with a ton of money.
>>
There’s a huge demand for escaping the wagecage life with fiction. If you can offer that, the market will pay for it and you can literally escape.
>>
>>23309431
People are living with their parents in their 30s commonly now. It’s not even an issue or shamed. Yeah, it’s not attractive to girls, but it’s also not shameful anymore.
>>
Consider turning to YouTube and other content creation platforms.
>>
>>23312994
Yeh, this is the way forward. The amount of threads on here asking for a neet/wagie novel just shows there's an interest in this kind of literature. Also, the fact that someone like Bukowski is so popular. Be the Bukowski of the modern wagie generation
>>
>>23313319
To be clear, I was referring less to the demand for a NEET/wagie novel and more to the demand for a total escape, for a novel that does the same thing anime and video games does. The enormous popularity of anime and video games speaks to it. Most people are looking for escapism pretty much 24/7. As an author, you’re justified in giving it to them. Even Tolkien talked about this.
>>
>>23307446
Yeah I'm just gonna get a job as a janitor and hope they'll make me an electrician. Maybe if you're unemployed, but that's not a way to switch careers
>>
>>23309080
>Can anyone here answer this question with something truly meaningful?
Yes, but I'm not telling you.
>>
>>23306868
Agreed op what the heck is wrong with you .
>>
>>23310758
eh, not really
op don't listen to these fags

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.