[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: reader.png (736 KB, 980x926)
736 KB
736 KB PNG
> buy a book
> get excited
> read 2 chapters
> come on lit
> learn of another book
> buy new book
> repeat

I have an entire bookshelf of books on the back burner.

So what is the last book that was so captivating that you finished?
>>
File: literallywhy.jpg (27 KB, 600x600)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>23308200
I stopped reading entire books when I started needing to use them.
>>
>>23308200
I finished Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars a couple days ago, before that it wss a collection of a few plays from Racine and Freud's Outline of Psycho-Analysis a bit earlier in the month
>>
File: 210825.jpg (20 KB, 254x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Finished pics related yesterday. This is the second Faulkner I have read and I am about done trying to like him. As a Southerner from the same area Faulkner basically wrote everything about I feel like I really should like him, but he is annoying to me.
I can imagine The Reivers as a cheesy made for TV movie played back on a VHS tape with a single warbly clarinet playing as background music. Ned is a funny character but other than that I am taking a long break from Faulkner.
>>
>>23308200
Last book I read was Spring Snow and that was 2 months ago. I was on a good streak but lately it's been feeling like a chore to read anything.
>>
>>23308387
Why would would this be your 2nd Faulkner? Try the big 4 fist.
>>
convenience store woman
>>
>>23308200
That Matthew Perry autobiography
>>
>>23308200
The last three books I finished:
The Myth of Sisyphus - Camus
Nausea - Sartre
Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut
>>
>>23308404
I first read The Sound and Fury first, but the modernist flair is lost on me. So, I read The Reivers because Faulkner drops all of the modernist illusions. Also I know that McCarthy regarded Faulkner as the greatest author and the premise of this book sound like it could have been a McCarthy novel and therefore a big influence.
>>
>>23308200
Long post to just say you're a quitter
>>
>>23308200
Tarry Flynn. Book about being an Irish farmer and wanting to bang lots of Irish girls but resenting the girls for being willing to fuck anyone else, while finding beauty in nature and the sweat of your brow.
Highly recommend, very short and easy to get through, and the protagonist is literally me.
>>
>>23308200
What kind of books do you [get convinced] to read?
>>
>>23308200
Hamlet
>>
>>23308200
I read Yevgeny Zamyatin's We recently
It was okay
>>
Jon Fosse's "A shining"
>>
File: IMG_0573.gif (3.83 MB, 498x498)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB GIF
Finished: Clifford Geertz - Local Knowledge

On Currently: Victor Turner - Dramas, Fields and Metaphors
>>
>>23308200
I last finished The way of a pilgrim by unknown.
>>
>>23308200
The Aeneid. Twas kino. Turnus is like an even more unhinged Hector
>>
>>23308200
The Tao Te Ching. It's short and sweet.
>>
>>23308200
I've finished six volumes of multivolume books since I last finished an actual entire book.

>>23313665
Heh I just looked at this again for the first time in months... I really do kinda like it, I will finish it someday I swear.
>>
I, uh, never finished IJ.
Just wasn't interested.
>>
>>23308325
That’s so nuts I also just finished lives of the Caesars
>>
>started From Hell in January (haven't finished yet)
>in that time I've read the first two Dune books
yup
>>
>>23308325
>>23315191
what did you guys think of the book?
>>
>>23313216
Based Geertz anon. You read the essay about the Balinese cockfighting ring yet?
>>
File: IMG_1640.png (64 KB, 300x314)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>23308200
The Lady in the Lake
It was alright. Not my favorite by Chandler. Good characters but the mystery got a bit convoluted
>>
The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Confession by Tolstoy. 2 really good books
>>
>>23317254
It was very entertaining for the most part, however the way Suetonius orders his biographies is not the best for someone who's looking for a straightforward history. The biographies mostly go in this order: family history/early life, good shit/accomplishments, bad shit/vices, death, and their descriptions. The information in the biographies themselves are not ordered chronologically for the most part, instead sticking to categories of information. Otherwise, very readable. Some highlights were Vespasian's jokes, Claudius' incompetence, and the depravity of Tiberius, Caligula, Nero, and Domitian.
>>
File: 1700497548380506.jpg (19 KB, 359x431)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>23308200
most books are so boring and tediously written, and the discover of one or two that instantly grab me and where i read it from cover to cover just reinforces my assumptions that most published work is terrible, and i'd rather just watch youtube and play videogames than force myself to read through the imaginary world of someone spiritually bereft enough to survive the world of publishing.
>>
>>23317415
Based
>>
File: gilgamesh-fate.gif (1.68 MB, 498x280)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
>>23308200
I don't start a new book until I finish what I'm currently reading and I'll finish it even if I don't particularly like it so I can have an informed opinion on it. Last book I finished was Gilgamesh and it was incredibly based. Loved the part where he goes on a three page rant basically calling Ishtar a dangerous whore.
>>
>>23319976
>Gilgamesh
Very based.
>>
Back in January or so I finished a book on Stuart England by Angus Stroud. Basically a crash course since I've always been curious about the period. Since then I've just been hopping from books I've rented from my university's library on different topics.
As for an actual work of literature, probably The Master and Margarita. One of my favorites
>>
>>23308200
the catcher in the rye
>>
File: images (2).jpg (48 KB, 445x690)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>23308200
Pick related, though it's a collection of opinion piece articles rather than a book. Thanks to the guy in that thread about Brazil as a new world culture for recommending it.
>>
Notes from Underground
Finished it a week ago
I'm reading Crime and Punishment now

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.