[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1698886352207189.jpg (98 KB, 645x773)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Why are women universally bad writers?
>>
>>23312044
They're good academics though. Benedict, Mead, Paglia, the list goes on.
>>
>>23312044
universally?
>>
>>23312059
Name a good woman writer.
>>
>>23312063
mary shelley, bud.
>>
>>23312044
They aren't. You're an idiot who doesn't read enough.

>>23312063
No. Go read, you lazy shit.
>>
>>23312044
same reason they are worse chess players, philosophers, aircraft pilots, engineers,
physicists, mathematicions, IT managers, surgeons, civil engineers, architects, software developers, ship captains...

they have smaller brains
>>
>>23312083
I think its more likely her husband wrote Frankenstein and let her pass it off as her own, especially given that he was a more experienced writer.
>>
>>23312335
>I think its more likely her husband wrote Frankenstein and let her pass it off as her ow
Debunked. We know Percy's contributions.
>>
>>23312063
Come on man, even Nabokov, who multiple times said he didn’t think there were good female writers, begrudgingly admitted Austen was a genius.
>>
*Stares at you in Flannery O'Connor*
>>
>>23312044
>>23312063
>Itt retards who don't read shit up the board with off topic dogwhistle r9k/pol threads
What writers have you read that you think are good, and what makes them good, OP?
>>
>>23312388
Additionally OP, what works from women have you read and what makes those works bad?
>>
>>23312388
is the r9k/pol anons in the room right now?
>>
>>23312317
This. Can we all just admit this and be done with it already. They are measurably worse at basically everything.
>>
>>23312338
>Debunked
>"Why"
>errrrrrmmmmm because I say so chud
>>
>>23312044
Oh great, another thinly veiled racist thread.
>>
>>23312399
i think you meant to say sexist thread but your virtue signaler machine broke
>>
>>23312392
>>23312392
You dodged the question with what I presume to be some meme reference to contemporary politics. If being an active subscriber to a contemporary ideology isn't bad enough, you also pretend to read and have nothing insightful to say.
Tell us which books you've enjoyed and what makes them good, as well as what works from female writers you disliked and why you've disliked them. Otherwise you're no better than dyed hair misandrist freaks who strive to discredit white males yet don't have the attention span to finish a book from the gender they hate.
>>
File: 1713775982783.jpg (60 KB, 698x900)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>23312044
because you haven't read cather.
>>
>>23312044
Womem are hard-wired for socialization, sex and childcare. Anything abstract that demands immersion beyond social signaling is useless to a woman. The few female exceptions who contributed something artistically worthwhile (less than 1% of overall worthwhile output) were either autistic (male-brained) or severely mentally ill. Patricia Highsmith for example was a very witty and skillful writer, nearly on par with the leading men in crime or short story fiction. She was also autistic, alcoholic, BPD recluse and hated women.
>>
File: 1697055802897743.gif (2.9 MB, 200x170)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB GIF
The better question is if a woman may qualify as a brilliant writer, is writing truly anything worth praising?
>>
>>23312044
They cannot into objectivism.
>>
>>23312044
Writting is for introspective weirdos persons who can't make connections with the world around them. It's a coping for their shit life. Women usually don't need be like this.
>>
Offtopic: why are critics and essayists such bad writers?
>>
>>23312044
They're not
>>23312063
Kate Chopin
>>
>>23313711
Any 'professional' critic, be it literature or music or whatever, is simply too retarded to do the thing they write critiques about, hence also to retarded to write about it properly. Simple as.
>>
>>23312044

BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER WAS ON AN INTERMITTENT FASTING REGIME DURING THE NINE MONTHS THAT YOU WERE IN HER WOMB.
>>
>>23312044
>tripfag spic shitting up another thread with schizo ramblings again
>>
>>23312399
Why is a redditor like you here? I never thought I would see unironic use of mah "racist" on this website cause its plenty called far-right
>>
>>23312460
My god someone here reads Cather? I thought I was the only one in this world. Btw I think she was racist as fuck
>>
Marilynne Robinson
Doris Lessing
Olga Tokarczuk

thats about it
>>
>>23312397
There are studies and books, chuddie. Look them up.
>>
>>23314444
She presented negroes with dignity.
>>
>>23314435
The vast majority of post2015 newfaggots started out on reddit. We gots INFESTED with reddit refugees, /pol/cels, and election tourists.
They never did go away.
Ya'll "reddit". You just aren't ready to admit it to yo'selfs.
That's about it.
>>
File: 51YSKZWSmEL.jpg (41 KB, 323x500)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>23314468
>As I sat there reading while proctoring exams, I tried unsuccessfully to stifle my chortles and guffaws of admiring laughter — which were definitely distracting the students in the first rows. Lauritsen's book is important not only for its audacious theme but for the devastating portrait it draws of the insularity and turgidity of the current academy. As an independent scholar, Lauritsen is beholden to no one. As a consequence, he can fight openly with myopic professors and, without fear of retribution, condemn them for their inability to read and reason.

>This book, which is a hybrid of mystery story, polemic and paean to poetic beauty, shows just how boring literary criticism has become over the past 40 years. I haven't been this exhilarated by a book about literature since I devoured Leslie Fiedler's iconoclastic essays in college back in the 1960s. All that crappy poststructuralism that poured out of universities for so long pretended to challenge power but was itself just the time-serving piety of a status-conscious new establishment. Lauritsen's book shows what true sedition and transgression are all about.

>Lauritsen assembles an overwhelming case that Mary Shelley, as a badly educated teenager, could not possibly have written the soaring prose of “Frankenstein” (which has her husband's intensity of tone and headlong cadences all over it) and that the so-called manuscript in her hand is simply one example of the clerical work she did for many writers as a copyist. I was stunned to learn about the destruction of records undertaken by Mary for years after Percy's death in 1822 in a boating accident in Italy. Crucial pages covering the weeks when “Frankenstein” was composed were ripped out of a journal. And Percy Shelley's identity as the author seems to have been known in British literary circles, as illustrated by a Knights Quarterly review published in 1824 that Lauritsen reprints in the appendix.

>The stupidity and invested self-interest of prominent literary scholars are lavishly on display here in exchanges reproduced from a Romanticism listserv or in dueling letters to the editor, which Lauritsen forcefully contradicts in acerbic footnotes. This is a funny, wonderful, revelatory book that I hope will inspire ambitious graduate students and young faculty to strike blows for truth in our mired profession, paralyzed by convention and fear.

>By Camille Paglia
>>
>>23312063
Jane Austen
>>
File: 357886445688 (1).jpg (537 KB, 1080x1780)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
>>23314435
>unironic use of mah "racist"
The mods do it. Why not expect it from anons?
this place is reddit to the core.

Disgusting
>>
>>23314482
>>This book, which is a hybrid of mystery story
Yes, it's indeed fiction.
>And Percy Shelley's identity as the author seems to have been known in British literary circles, as illustrated by a Knights Quarterly review published in 1824 that Lauritsen reprints in the appendix.
Ah, more schizophrenia. Do you happen to be an oxfordian as well?
>>By Camille Paglia
She hates women and wishes she was a man.
>>
>>23314498
Rules are rules, fag. Don't like it? Go to another website or board.
>>
File: 543534354353.png (291 KB, 1201x822)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
>>23314500
C'est incroyable, anon. You may be right.
>>
>>23312063
Agatha Christie
>>
>>23314435
>its plenty called far-right
Child confirmed. If you think this is actually a political website, you clearly haven't browsed here prior to 2014.
>>23314498
>tv
One of the most reddit boards. Go back there.
This place became reddit when people like you come here in troves after r/the_donald getting banned.
I wish 4chan had no concept of "containment boards" and that other websites did. These containment boards have done nothing good for 4chan, only attracting rejected redditors and other leftover sloppy seconds scum from other websites as 4chan is the only place that will 'contain' them.
>>
>>23312044
What are your good writer op let's see your taste
>>
>>23314444
she believes in a lot of sterotypes but they're all positive. she says things like "he was clever with water, as all mexicans are" and "jews recognize talent when they see it".
>>
>>23314483
I wish I could marry her.
>>
>>23312063
Virginia Woolf

Her writing is on par with Joyce, in my opinion.
>>
>>23315298
Wasn't she an autistic femcel that died childless and alone?
>>
>>23315324
I wonder what her breasts would be like. Just the sheer imagination of Austen ma'am indulging in steamy foreplay & having vigorous cowgirl riding sex with me makes me weep tears of unparalleled joy.
>>
>>23315321
You've never read Finnegans Wake
>>
>>23314074
Susan Sontag was the first Bandaid, I ripped through her awful novels like they were stale Wheaties swimmin on powdered milk. Davenport was another. Goddawful, boring schlock. His essays are grand, but his stories are just tired, over-worked verbose garbage that would be better-served by an anekdote or aphorism like Kleist or Kafka, just some short, pithy scribble about a satyr and an nymph in a grove, in an ancient mode. But NOooo, they have to tire everything out with endless language (there is beauty in economy), the tiresome iteration of a dickensian mood that strikes any writer paid by the prolific page.
>>
>>23312063
Sigrid Undset
>>
>>23312063
Flannery O'Connor
>>
>>23312063
I heard Wuthering Heights was good? By Emily Brontë so its a women.
Bros im going to be honest. I don't think I've read a book by a women lmao. I can't think of one. Maybe Frankenstein but I never finished it and listened to it via audiobook.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.