[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I always hear people raving about how good the Greeks are, and some Nietzsche types even think the Greeks were THE only good thing. But I don't really get it.
Yeah the Iliad is cool...but it's only really considered THE best because it was the first. And I bet most people are just larping about LOVING the Iliad. The mores depicted are so ancient even the classical Greeks and Romans could barely even understand it lol. Do you REALLY get chariot warfare and cow sacrifice? get the fuck out of here.
>but muh timeless humanity
Then why don't you read Shakespeare or something where you actually understand most of the language? You really understand what "horse breaking Diomedes" signifies? Are you an archaic Greek aristocrat?
Plato is basically a schizo, as are all other Greek philosophers. He would be on a street corner ranting about aliens or some shit if he were alive today.
The "father of history"? Yeah I love gold ants too. Lol.
Like really what's so great about the Greeks? Why should I start with them instead of the ancient 'jeets or the medievals? Whenever I ask this question ppl just reply with mystic bullshit about the "measured Greek spirit".
>>
Greeks were right about women, slavery and eugenics
Fuck off to plebbit woketard
>>
>>23313056
I'm not woke.
Literally everyone else in the ancient world had the same views about women, slavery and eugenics. Ironically, Greek philosophy and Christianity (Hellenized Judaism) were the only forces in the ancient world which challenged these views about women, slavery and eugenics. So maybe the Greeks weren't actually all that based
>>
>>23313012
They have soul and essence.
>>
>>23313012
>You really know what horse breaking means
Yes
>>
>>23313012
>Then why don't you read Shakespeare or something where you actually understand most of the language?
A bunch of Shakespeare's plays are dependent on Plutarch, jackass
>>
UNIRONICALLY if you read and enjoy classical literature, it's because if your blood memories of being a slave-owning Greek aristocrat. If you don't, it's because you are from the lesser races (yes even the white ones) and are one of the base-born.
>>
>>23313012
the yogurt is just terrific
>>
File: 1698291572640772.jpg (70 KB, 956x538)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
If things were considered the "best" just because they're old, you would see Bronze Age literature being read more, such as Canaanite epic poetry, or Egyptian texts; both which are older then the Greeks.

You like what you like. Don't like the Greeks? Then stop reading them. I also didn't enjoy much Homer and Hesiod, but Herodotus and Thucydides I love.
>>
>>23313012
I've long wondered the same. Maybe if I had been exposed to nothing but muh greeks from an early age, I'd have a similar love for their literature and culture. But coming to them as an adult having read plenty of other literature, they don't seem that special.

>But they influenced all other western culture!
Being steeped in their influence makes it that much harder to understand why they are special.
>>
>>23313012
SWtG
>>
>>23314019
What if I enjoy it and my brother doesn't? What happens to your theory then?
>>
>>23313012
>And I bet most people are just larping about LOVING the Iliad
Yep. The entire western tradition has been larping for +2,500 years
>>
>>23313012
You had to be there.
>>
>>23313012
Thales alone was special, everyone else weren't.
>>
>>23313012
>Do you REALLY get
No, it's not perfectly immediate. Nor is Shakespeare for that matter. Nor is something written by someone who lives in the next town over from you, because their social and physical surroundings are ever so slightly different from yours. This all exists on a continuous spectrum and everyone has their own range within which they can "feel" things. If the Greeks are outside that range for you, fine, you don't have to like them. But you must understand and *appreciate* them if you care about not coming across as a repulsive ingrate.

>>23314063
>Being steeped in their influence makes it that much harder to understand why they are special.
Are you mentally incapable of imagining a different course of history? Grim.
>>
>>23313012
Wait...are you telling me you DON'T understand what Horse-Breaking Diomedes signifies!? Anyway, fuck off dude. Everyday we get 10,000 threads by retards like you either asking why they should read some famous writer or shitting on some famous writer. Read them or don't. I don't care. Get it or don't. I don't care.

>>23313056
You're so fucking disgusting. You manage to take the Greeks and lower them to the level of the average /pol/tard reactionary. IMAGINE, being nothing more than the antithesis of women, trannies, and BLM. That's your existence. Lmao.
>>
>>23314019
Bro...that's just crazy.
>>
>>23314088
>SEX WITH tall GIRLS
I agree, anon!
>>
>>23314090
mayhaps 'tis an symple effhlueence ofh þe sovvle bourne downe þrouugh þe prhocess ofh metempsuchkosys, anoune

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.