[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1682530122196491.jpg (115 KB, 666x1000)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
So the novel is pro-fascism, but the movie is anti-fascism?
>>
>>23314999
Waste of digits pointing out the obvious
>>
>>23314999
>So the novel is pro-fascism,
Not really.
>>
>>23315003
I mean, I didn't get any indication that it was against fascism. The only thing i can think of is the part where the recruit gets flogged for punching the superior officer at camp currie, and the other officers try their best to bend the rules to get him out of his (deserved) punishment. You could interpret this as the "fascist" rules in the military being anti-human, contrary to the moral inclinations of the officers
But other than that, i cant think of any indication of the chuddy ideals being criticized or harmful in the story
>>
File: 20230525_143612.jpg (141 KB, 1237x1433)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>23314999
The novel depicts a Liberal's paradise. The movie which is not a satire, nor a parody, nor an adaptation has poisoned the well. The movie itself is entertaining but in no way reflects on the book, despite what the director and crew say, they simply stuck the name SST on their movie and created a bullshit backstory that the movie was a commentary on the supposed Fascism they thought was present in the book. This was done despite none of the crew ever reading the book.

The book is also shit.
>>
Starship Troopers' world isn't fascistic, they're just a country that acknowledges the realities of war. Liberals love war but they always use a moral facade to conceal the fact that wars are ultimately fought over resources.
>>
>>23315015
It's not pro nor anti fascism. It's not about fascism.
>>
>>23314999
The novel is a YA genre fiction roman-a-clef about the Korean War ("bugs" = "gooks") intended to arrest the emerging the emerging 60s counter-culture and get young men to support and enlist in anti-Communist interventions in Asia.

The movie is an erotic masterpiece glamourising the full human flourishing and self-realisation in war, and incidentally the state that such superhumans would form.
>>
>>23315166
Bugs = commies
>>
>>23315173
The ones in the Korean war doing human wave attacks, yes.
>>
>>23314999
>So the novel is pro-fascism
Not really, no. It is though obviously written by a young man in the service desperately trying to prove to himself that what he participates in does not consist entirely out of him being violently raped in the ass by hordes of stinky unwashed male penises.

And when a young men tries to use many words to say
>"No, the government service is NOT filling my colon with literally gallons of cum on a daily basis, we're doing good and nice and necessary and wholesome and important thing here and NOT just getting my bum sore till it bleeds!"
it does come out sounding kinda sorta exactly like fascism apologia, unironically. He got better tho.

>but the movie is anti-fascism
Yea.
>>
>>23315003
If you want to be nitpicky about ideologies you can say it's an overzealous meritocracy
>>
>>23314999

Why did they change Rico's nationality from Philipines to Argentinian? Always thought that was s little strange choice
>>
>>23314999
Critics say the movie is a 'satire' on facism but to me it seemed to be pretty sincere. I certainly didn't get the impression the movie was overtly satirical.
>>
no, the novel is anti-fascism. the movie is pro-fascism
>>
>>23314999
>but the movie is anti-fascism
Apparently, but it's very bad at portraying fascism as bad.
>>
Its like some weird mixture of fascism and globalism, there is no racism, the main character is a Filipino. Basically you only have the right to vote if you are in the military. Im sure if they remade it as a movie it would be more serious and less like that one jack ass directors satirical vison
>>
>>23316308
No one could imagine a little flip boy fighting giant bugs
>>
The movie is a satire of Top Gun, Navy Seals and general 'merica tomfoolery. Like Idiocracy or Team America
If only they'd done it with puppets
>>
>>23316392
>Its like some weird mixture of fascism and globalism, there is no racism, the main character is a Filipino.
The constant, screaming theme of morality being fundamentally centered on submission to the common authority does come out impressively close to the Mussolini thing.

>>23316336
Verhoeven's entire international career is built on making media that very specifically insults Americans while flying over their heads and making them simp for him and ask for more.

You cannot convince me that insulting Americans only to hear them praise him is not his sexual fetish and the driving force behind his creative talent.
>>
>>23315166
>The movie is an erotic masterpiece
What's erotic?
>>
File: 1693841438497976.gif (1.11 MB, 498x276)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB GIF
>>23316336
Yeah the only overtly satirical part to me was where the kids were squashing cockroaches "everyone does his part"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QmvEbphF8c
>>23316596
Prime Denis Richards
>>
>>23316336
>to me it seemed to be pretty sincere
you might be retarded. you think verhoeven sincerely thinks it's good that nph is mind-controlling people by the end of the film in direct imitation of the brain bugs? they went out to fight bugs and in the process got turned into bug people. i understand that it's subtler than the average american movie but only by a little
>>
>>23316685
>you think verhoeven sincerely thinks it's good that nph is mind-controlling people by the end of the film in direct imitation of the brain bugs?
They actually think it's a sincere movie. They're retarded.
>>
>>23316308
Probably the worst change and why the book is better.
>>
>>23316336
>>23316613
>The most cornfed American-Aryan jock lookin mf in the world, Johnny Rico, is from Buenos Aires
>The war with the bugs is, in part, started by Mormon homesteaders attempting to colonize their territory.
>Most of the troops, there to be meat to choke the grinder, are there to earn the right to bear children or vote.
These, to us, dystopic reasons for doing their part are contrasted with one trooper who's there to pay for college. Something pretty much only normalized in America during current year.
>Almost everyone is portrayed as an idiot.
>Niel Patrick Harris wears an SS uniform
>Directed by the same guy who made Robocop

It is your contention that this is all a "Springtime for Hitler" situation?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.