[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Michel_Foucault.jpg (52 KB, 581x400)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Why does /lit/ hate foucault?
>>
>>23317353
>gay
>pedophile
>French
>leftist
Take your pick
>>
>>23317353
Just because of his personal life. They agree with him on biopolitics and on elites manipulating language to terrorize normal people.
The real reason one should hate Foucault is because of his careerism and I suspect that he would have recanted today (just like all Foucauldians except Agamben). Read Paglia's Academe in the Hour of the Wolf.
>>
I read discipline and punishment and now I just sound like more of a schizo when I explain to my parents why I refuse to go to therapy because it's just a technic of power to categorize me and make me a more productive docile robot
>>
>>23317459
i will never read paglia
>>
imagine being a gay french philosopher who died of aids, the jokes write themselves
>>
>>23317689
you also have to remember that he maintained aids was a fiction til his last breath. a malicious ironist and a true nietzschean
>>
>>23317700
It is though
>>
He literally fucked kids with an AIDS infected dick.
>>
>>23317714
THEY WERE 20 YEARS OLD and 364 days old YOU SICK FUCK
They were legally minors in their country but majority was at 21 in Morocco. Calling him a pedo for sleeping with young men for money is a stretch.
>>
>>23317728
Nah one was 15 in tunisia. He just got away with it because it was technically legal over there.
>>
>>23317353
>>23317459
>They agree with him on biopolitics and on elites manipulating language to terrorize normal people
sure. the problem is not necessarily foucault, its foucauldians.
foucauldians read "language is being manipulated in pursuit of power" and say "oh my gosh... we should totally do that!"
also his whole thing about homosexuality itself being a modern invention just because the literal term "homosexual" is modern is beyond retarded
>>
>>23318717
>his whole thing about homosexuality itself being a modern invention just because the literal term "homosexual" is modern is beyond retarded
You're a dimwit who failed to understand his point lol
>>
He's bald.
>>
>>23317458
/lit/ loves half of those things though
>>
>>23318736
i explained poorly
i did not mean to say that foucault thinks literally no one had homosexual sex/romance before the invention of the word homosexual.
i meant that he treats the modern persecution of homosexuals to have begun with the invention of the term -- and that, before this, society was actually generally uninterested in homosexuals and/or totally fine with it.
this is verbatim how i was taught foucault's history of sexuality in university, so if thats incorrect, then i blame my retarded adjunct professor
>>
>>23318753
>he treats the modern persecution of homosexuals to have begun with the invention of the term
What he means is that the persecution of homosexuals in the 19th centuries became a systemic endeavor by the state and stately institutions to regulate our behavior on a grand scale. He didn't mean the term itself carried the power of discrimination. It's the discourse in which the term was invented and how the institutions leveraged their power to that end is what's significant here. He also didn't mean there was no persecution of people with non normative sexual behavior. He just didn't consider the premodern discrimination as pervasive and systemic.
I think his point about the invention of homosexuality is that while physiological drives of humans don't change across human history the way they are interpreted and regulated and directed depends on the discourse and the networks of power driving that discourse. In vol 3 of the History of sexuality he began thinking in terms of subjectivity as in how are individuals made to "recognize themselves as subjects of a “sexuality,” which was accessible to very diverse fields of knowledge and linked to a system of rules and constraints. What I planned, therefore, was a history of the experience of sexuality, where experience is understood as the correlation between fields of knowledge, types of normativity, and forms of subjectivity in a particular culture." This subjectivity has a profound effect on how individuals self regulate themselves and each other. So it's not only a matter of institutions forcing their power on you but you yourself become complicit in propagating the normative behavior.
>>
>>23317714
>why yes, I have infected underage boys with AIDS, how could you tell?
>>
>>23317700
>>23317710
AIDS is real, but it is not caused by a "virus." Rather, it is a syndrome resulting from the gay lifestyle (use of poppers, sodomy/fisting, hundreds of anonymous sexual partners, etc.). Poppers (amyl nitrate), which are extremely popular among gay men, are known to cause Kaposi's sarcoma, one of the primary AIDS symptoms.
>>
>>23318869
Source: My ass
>>
>WHY DOES /lit/ HATE THIS SEXUAL DEGENERATE HOMOSEXUAL SOPHIST THAT HAS BEEN SHILLED BY ESTABLISHED ACADEMIA FOR OVER HALF A CENTURY!?
>>
>>23317459
>read paglia

no.
>>
File: 1696798155291085.jpg (119 KB, 1080x763)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>23318869
no its cause some guy fucked a monkey you retard
>>
>>23318817
thanks for the explanation anon. this is all coming back to me now -- its been years since i learned this shit in school.
>persecution of homosexuals in the 19th centuries became a systemic endeavor by the state
>didn't consider the premodern discrimination as pervasive and systemic
this is what i was trying to get at by saying
>society was actually generally uninterested in homosexuals and/or totally fine with it
but of course I failed to articulate the full depth of foucault's argument.
>>
>>23318920
good goy, Anthony Fauci would never lie to you about the existence of a deadly supervirus would he?
>>
>>23317635
It attempts to do that but from my experience therapy just does nothing.
>>
>>23319101
Viruses make sense to me because I saw micro organisms through a microscope with my own eyes, it's not a big stretch to think that even smaller organisms exist. The politics of covid are a different issue.
>>
>>23317673
>>23318930
Dilate. She drags all those postmodern academics you hate.
>>
>>23317353
He is a midwit and a charlatan.
>>
File: 1711794676968776.jpg (50 KB, 801x597)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>23317353
Paedophilic pseudo-intellectual, he, to my understanding, began, or was one of the core-intellectuals of the diasterous intellectual tradition where one denounces clearly definable, empirically derivied constructs as instructments of power, or some shit; literal retards, renouncing these constructs while simultaneously omitting their actuality by simply debating, showing that they're clearly definable, as if not, one couldn't postulate them.

New razor just dropped, post-modern niggas' on suicide watch. ALL OF THESE FUCKING CUNTS WILL FUCKING HANG, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
>>
File: d08.jpg (32 KB, 550x502)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>23318745
>>
>>23319187
>Dilate.
when paglia gets the phalloplasty she so obviously desires, i will happily dilate
>>
>>23319463
>to my understanding
Yeah, you should really work on that. Have you tried reading?
>>
>>23319187
Yas, drag ha, queen!
>>
>>23318869
AIDS is real and is caused by HIV. HIV cannibalizes the body’s immune system and makes a victim likely to die from infections that would not be problems for normal people. People can get HIV and AIDS from blood transfusions and die just as much as people getting fisted even when they don’t do any of that stuff. You can fucking look at the HIV virus under a microscope and physically see it going about its work of destroying the immune cells of a person. You have no idea what you’re talking about.
>>
>>23319912
>You can fucking look at the HIV virus under a microscope
Microscopes are a Jewish invention meant to bullshit you into seeing invisible things.

>- Look here goy.
>- I don't see anything here, Shlomo.
>- No, look through my magical scientific lens tube!
>- Oh my, there's a thingie there that I couldn't previously see!
>- Yesss... And the thingie is telling you to pay me or it will kill you.
>- Oh my science, I better get to it thank you Dr. Scholomo!
>- Good goy.
>>
>>23317353
It's easier to diss him on his character or strawmen arguments than to engage and actually read him, same shit for Rousseau.
Actual rightoids should read both of them extensively
>>
I had thought hiv denialism died in 90s with all its promoters why is it appearing again
>>
>>23320569
Prep made fags think they are invincible. Livers and kidneys destroyed by prep is going to be the next AIDS but at least not contagious.
>>
>>23320479
This. You don't have to agree with his ideas, but to deny that Foucault was a genius is just disingenuous.
>>
>>23317353
Foucault understands Nietzsche better than anyone here.
>>
File: 1711629532526686.jpg (107 KB, 776x851)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>23320769
While it is true that Foucault’s understanding of Nietzsche surpasses the average /lit/ poster, that understanding is still extremely flawed and laughable.
It would be better to say that Foucault misunderstands Nietzsche less than the average /lit/ poster.
He is almost entirely shilled on this board by leftfag anons in their junior year of college who were given excerpts of one or two of his major works to read by their butch lesbian / effete nu-male professors in their critical theory class
>>
>>23318745
Ok, you convinced me. Hairlets should get the rope
>>
>>23317353
>Why does /lit/ hate foucault?
I don't like faggots.
>>
File: 1711985892851871.jpg (158 KB, 1440x1438)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>23317353
Because he deserves it.
>>
>>23320217
Bait. Your reply is immensely dishonest.
>>
>>23317714
Gotta separate the art from the artist, anon.
>>
he's an elusive, slippery shit who raped chidlren
>>
>>23317458
>Foucault
>leftist
>>
>>23321938
He was a member of the French Communist Party for a number of years.
>>
>>23317353
He was an neomarxist who wanted to destroy based western civ with postmodernism and feminism or something idk I don't really read books I just watch jp on yt and read /pol/ threads
>>
>>23322045
He as a commie when it was The thing to do in French academia but split ways with it early on. If Foucault was alive today he would be the foremost anti-vaxer and a major critic of the EU and its institutions. You can tell that nobody here has read Foucault because they just regurgitate twitter memes about him.
>>
>>23318920
Yes anon, your ass is a source of AIDS
>>
He was a degenerate leftist who sabotaged the west, most likely a KGB agitator
>>
>>23319912
>You have no idea what you’re talking about.
Says the literal retard who thinks you can see HIV "going about its work" in a fucking electron micrograph from a prepared sample. How do you know those blobs are viral particles exactly?
>>
>>23317635
I never went and never will simply because of the underlying conflict of interest: if you're cured, the guy stops making money.
>>
>>23320217
Microscopes were invented by the Dutch you pseud
>>
He’s mainstream and that’s not cool
>>
>>23321931
You can’t say that and read the Greeks.
>>
>>23317353
I dont hate Foucault, he wrote some interesting stuff. But ultimately I think post-modernism is just nihilism and leads nowhere. It's a purely negative philosophical tradition. Foucault had no ideas on how things should be, just on how to destroy what is.
>>
>>23322382
Nah, he was just French.
>>
>>23323073
Guess who grinded the lenses
>>
>>23319887
I was drunk
>>
A lot of joke answers ITT so I'll try to provide a serious answer, OP. My field is Anthropology/Archaeology so I'll be leaning more towards the Sociology side of things. It's because he was bald and also French
>>
>>23317353
Power relations

If they hate him it takes the power away

Look at me defending his arguments and you can't stop me
>>
>>23317353
because he was a gay pedophile with dehumanizing and perverted ideas
>>
>>23317353
because /lit/ is full of chuds
>>
>>23320953
>It would be better to say that Foucault misunderstands Nietzsche less than the average /lit/ poster.

Then the average /lit/ poster ought to be all over him!
>>
File: Kekz.jpg (118 KB, 1080x742)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>23317353
>>
French philosophy is just a game of telephone played with bad misreadings of Hegel, Marx, Freud, Heidegger and Nietzsche with rhetorical and stylistic flair where originality and substance should be.
>>
>>23317353
Elites read The Order of Things and used it as a blueprint to subjugate humanity.
>>
>leftist "anti-colonialist" degenerate
>goes to poor countries to fuck boys in the ass and give them AIDS
Many such cases. I'm starting to think these Orientalists had spurious motives.
>>
HIV is a real virus. Homosexuality on the other hand, is likely caused by a parasitic disease.
>>
>>23324032
no it's caused by childhood gender-based trauma
>>
Foucault is just one more brilliant mind lost to atheism. That's all there is to it. His analyses, though brilliant and damning of the liberal order, are purely horizontal. He had no idea what a human was.
>>
>>23320217
Based and correct. (((Germs))) aren't real.
>>
>>23323120
>>23323906
>>23324056
All based answers, hopefully these posts will save some young naive college sophomore from buying-in to Foucauldianism
>>
>>23324056
He repented to Catholicism on his deathbed
>>
>>23317353
He was the last of the nineteenth century philosophers, in a sense, and so he naturally is a polarizing figure.
>>
File: images (47).jpg (8 KB, 204x247)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>hey if we say that words don't have inherent meaning then we can get the goys to believe anything!
He's rotting in hell. Foucault is why elites LARP as peasants now. If only "victims" get to define what words mean then the powerful will cynically call anyone who challenges them racist, sexist, homophobic, trannyphobic.
>>
>>23320217
I diagnose you with Terminal Contrarian Disorder
dilate
>>
>>23322045
So was Alain Soral, another lolcow who after gay sex decided to larp as right wing.
It's a french thing, joining the PCF is more or less a rite of passage

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.