[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (2.12 MB, 1200x1600)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB PNG
>there's this guy and... get this
>BUREAUCRACY

amazing
>>
File: 1714038074118.jpg (72 KB, 2000x1331)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
yeah and i love that shit. it's tense and cruel and funny.
>>
>>23323170
books are not meant to be loved or enjoyed
if you're having a good time reading a book you're doing it wrong
>>
>>23323041
Read The Great Wall Of China. Maybe I’ll post it again.
>>
>>23323182
I agree, you don't even have to read the book to form an opinion about it and can just go by the words of someone who has in fact read it
>>
>>23323182
I read to learn. I enjoy learning.
simple as.
>>
>>23323041
>zoomer doesn't know about East Germany
>>
>>23324547
>B-but don't forget about the historical context!
Telltale sign of a psued. There's more red tape barring people and constraining them onto paths of particular paths of life more than ever before. Could you even talk about why Kafka is great without focusing entirely on period in which he lived in?
>>
It's not about bureaucracy, you retards, it's about being a schizoid in a world of normies and feeling powerless in the face of your gay society. Of course, being normalfaggots, you wouldn't understand.
>>
>>23323041
No one with even the most basic understanding of Kafka thinks bureaucracy is the point of his work. Many of his important works (e.g. The Verdict or Metamorphosis) don't even have that theme at all.
>>
>>23323391
I repeat opinions of people who haven't read the book
>>
File: 1710370068296095.png (29 KB, 500x500)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>23324997
>SIR
>SIR YOU CANT TURN INTO A BUG SIR IM DEFENDING DEMOCRACY
>>
>>23324997
>don't show up to work as exact time
>random person send by an abstraction (business) shows up
>miss the train that is timed by the minute
>have to pay off some loans (not real)
not bureaucratic?
>>
>>23326413
Yes, society exists in the background, but if that makes bureaucracy the main theme, then it's the main theme in just about every story.
>>
>>23323041
>>23324997
My reading of the world of bureocracy in Kafka's fiction is that it's about his daddy issues. Most of his portrayals of unreasonable, bureocratic institutions are reflections of the power of an authoritarian father who tells you what to do without giving you any justification since he thinks that the only justification needed is his command, the kind of father you can't reason with.
>>
>>23328160
have you read his letter to his father?
>>
>>23326330
How can you tell if they haven't read the book and you haven't read the book as well?
>>
>>23323041
the real bureaucracy is just Kafkas intense daddy issues
>>
>>23326332
kek
>>
>>23329231
Trust me. Us opinion-havers can recognize each other very easily.
>>
>>23329215
No, but I think I've read about it somewhere. I should read it sometime. My evaluation of Kafka's daddy issues is based solely on his stories where a father character is present like Metamorphosis and The Judgement
>>
>>23323041
I've never liked Kafka, and I've never liked Lovecraft, and I associate the two. I like the concept of cosmic horror generally, but not the way these two do it, I think it's too off putting, something about the vibe is off. I admit I haven't read much but I thought The Fly was dumb, I felt like I had to shower after I read it.
Am I a fucking retard?
>>
>>23330148
>daddy issues
Wow what a biting and totally not arbitrary reduction of Complex Thing into Simple Thing!
>>
>>23330148
I think psychoanalysis is itself based on some need to scale others down into bite sized consumables so as to keep one's feeling of security, and ego superiority intact.
It could be true that father issues informed his work, but i see this shit thrown about lazily all the time. "Oh, he's got behavioral issues; must be his dad. Oh, he's moody; daddy wasn't there!"
I'm less interested in the apparent truth behind any of that and more about the need that some people have, to identify the "hidden" motives of others. That shit seems like it comes from something very small, and very bad inside of a person.
Yes I'm aware that that is itself psychoanalysis. But still. It seems more like a form of attack or security blanket shit than good faith.
>>
>>23330152
Isn't horror supposed to be off-putting? Or what do you mean?
>>
>>23330159
Idk it's hard for me to articulate. I guess I just mean there's something about it I didn't like and I find aesthetically displeasing enough to never want to read any of it again.
Lovecraft especially makes me want to puke. Guy was a freak of nature.
When I read Kafka it feels like I'm reading something written by an alien. I'm not trying to be vague it's just a vague feeling.
>>
>>23330162
Sounds like you hit kino and can't handle it, f a m
>>
>>23330153
>>23330158
I know what you mean. People use the term daddy issues in a reductive manner, as a way to imply that a person is crazy or pathetic. People also use psychoanalysis in a very similar manner, looking for hidden motives as a way to discredit people, as if the person attempting to do that didn't have their own psychological complexes. Those people always lack even the most basic understanding of psychoanalysis and have likely accrued distorted versions of those ideas through cultural osmosis.

I didn't mean to do that nor am I really looking for something hidden. (Well, in the context of bureaucracy I sort of am) The figure of the authoritarian father is very clearly present in many of his stories, most notably Metamorphosis and The Judgement. And it's pretty clear that at least those stories are to some extent a reflection of his own feelings towards his father. I meant to say that his experiences with his father informed his conception of authority of institutions that often come off as controlling, nightmarish and unreasonable. It's not that his depictions of society are reflective of his issues with his father, it's that they're reflective of a society that birthed the figure of the authoritarian father.
>>
>>23330197
Yeah I wasn't necessarily meaning to attack you, although, if I'm honest with myself that was probably some underlying part of it. But I mean no offense or harm toward you.
When you said it, I did think to myself that modern institutions are inherently patriarchal in a toxic sense, like an overly domineering father; but simultaneously like an overbearing mother. The institutions and the bureaucracy beat you, demand too much from you and shame you into submission, but then they also offer empty canards of hope, healing and soothing from the pain they also inflict. Truly the worst of both worlds and I can see that reflected in the little bit of Kafka I've read. You're probably not wrong.
>>
>>23323041
This has to be some of the most insidious Asiatic physiognomy I have ever seen. Anyone who has ever wasted more than a few seconds thinking about this guy is dumber than an 80 IQ illiterate.
>>
File: 1713410318087868.gif (339 KB, 538x572)
339 KB
339 KB GIF
>>23330243
>Buck broken by Kafka.

Filtered gracefully.
>>
>>23330243
>>23330492
Nah, this retard wasn't filtered, I bet he's never read Kafka. Doesn't seem like the type of person who reads in the first place.
>>
>>23328160
>it's about his daddy issues
In part, sure, but as an adult he worked in law and insurance. Two of the most labyrinthian, bureaucratic industries there are. Law, authority, and fatherhood were intertwined concepts to him.
>>
>>23330509
True, I elaborated on that here:
>>23330207

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.