[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1706744865752059.jpg (121 KB, 900x900)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
What's the point of philosophy? Aren't you just reading the opinions of other people?
>>
Life can be lived either intuitively, through instinct and feeling, or by reason. In so far as philosophy serves a purpose, it’s to live life by way of reason. I think there’s an addition trait of modern Western philosophy which goes beyond “how to live” and attempts to provide a surrogate for the worldview Christianity used to give. So the point is on one hand “how to live” and on the other hand “what is”.
>>
I like reading the opinions of other people if they’re worthwhile, that’s why I read the Economist. Philosophy is a diverse discipline though and covers many methodologies and levels of rigor depending on the inquiry and the inquirer
>>
>>23326894
You’re supposed to create your own, but I think you lack the insight to do so. Good luck, though.
>>
>>23326904
>I like reading the opinions of other people if they’re worthwhile, that’s why I read the Economist.
One day we'll convince them.
>>
>>23326894
>anti-white cat

I don't want to hear your opinion on philosophy anymore.
>>
>>23326894
it eventually evolves into something useful. it is hyperstition. it brings itself into existence
>>
>>23326894
Yeah. But a lot of other people have interesting opinions that you would have never conceived on your own and can change your entire worldview and daily behaviors.
>>
>>23326894
I hate this cat so much it's unreal.
>>
>>23326894
Define opinion.

If we consider "opinion" as a set of asumptions a individual believes in, then we can infer that any given opinion has some implications.

When you read some philosopher, you learn (maybe) more about the implications of some of the views you already holds. Maybe some of those implications help you to see flows. Otherwise, it's interesting.

For instance, the opus of Thomas of Aquites show you some of the logical inferences of the christian faith (in a certain interpretation). While Nietzsche will bring you to a point where atheism is accapeted as a truth but the consequences of the atheism aren't fully clear for then.
Camus show you a world in which you already know that there is no deeper meaning but you still wants one and starts a rebellion againts the void of meaning.
Hegel is your man as long as you think we don't have "true" knowleade yet but history will show by "progress".

Do you got the idea?
>>
>>23326988
It’s probably a pajeet who should not legally be allowed to have internet access.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (26 KB, 308x230)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>23326894
>What's the point of philosophy?
What's the point of asking this question?
>>
>>23326894
let me guess you believe in the scientific method as the only way to truth! fuck off.
>>
File: 1714080211812374.jpg (82 KB, 1024x575)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
All I know is that I know nothing
>>
File: 1702480233559005.png (309 KB, 572x421)
309 KB
309 KB PNG
>>23326894
the point of philo is to impress educated ladies and to get in that ass, anon.

>>23327192
answers op's question succintly and with sass. you're alright, anon.
>>
>>23326894
The point of philosophy is explaining why my opinion is the best opinion.
>>
>>23326937
>insufficiently familiar
huh?
>>
>>23327195
This literally

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.