[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Villains.jpg (29 KB, 265x190)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
I want to make an irredeemable monster, but I want him to be comically arrogant and likable, how do I strike the smug snake villain that doesn't turn him into an annoying character people hate watching?
>>
Make him right. That way, no matter what he does, he has the high ground, and even when people are in opposition to him, they will like him.
>>
>>23327102
Establish the arrogant and likable aspects before turning him into a villain and probably turn him into a villain by having him seriously and unapologetically fuck over the characters you have put in the time to get the reader to genuinely care about. Simplest way is to have him friends with those characters you are getting the reader to care about, use the group dynamic to build it and show it. Then he fucks them over and you force the reader to pick a side and you make it as hard as possible for them to pick a side.
>>
>>23327102
Im not a writer, but maybe you can find 5 villain characters in fiction that has that effect. Analyse and compare each of them and see similarities, differences and what makes them work or not
>>
idk, I liked him quite a lot tho
>>
big penis and huge booba
>>
>>23327102
Make them eloquent, with manners and competent. I mean competent as they could achieve things but avoid collateral damage or too high costs to let the hero win.
Than make their motivation a good reason, just that their conclusion is extreme or over the top.
>>
>>23327102
You try
then you see if what feels right and what feels wrong
then you try again
and repeat and repeat

You wont find a sum of sentences that will teach you how to write what you want, first comes trying.
>>
>>23327102
well ask yourself why do you like a villain? Why do you like Gaston? because he's charismatic and confident. Theyve got a massive ego and never doubts themselves in their efforts you cant help but admire them, and it makes the conflict with the protag more evocative
>>
Step 1: DO NOT make the archetypal high-school bully. Just fucking dont.

Step 2: Make it so the villain's views are correct, just not "comfortable" or ethical. Think judge Holden.

That's it. The rest is up to your own writing experience and skills.
>>
>>23327102
At the end of the day good writing and good characters boils down to the writer's cleverness and his access to real world experiences as a muse to write from, If you don't have the former try to look into common villains that people often like and isolate the traits/actions/style that make them engaging ask like you ask here but irl with normies and oddballs alike who their favorite villain is and why. If you lack the latter and happen to be a clever person but lack real world experience go out and live a little and try to write down or memorize what you experience, if you take this advice and meaningfully apply it theres a good chance you will probably make a villain thats slightly better than mediocre kek

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.