[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: image (1).jpg (83 KB, 476x493)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Now that the dust has settled, what kind of category does your normative ethics fall under? Deontology, consequentialist, virtue ethics, contractarianism?
>>
>>23327471
egoism
>>
>>23327571
Individualist consequentialism it is
>>
>>23327576
wrong, the consequences of my actions are a spook. I, as a momentary being, do not care about my future self, who is not me.
>>
>>23327580
So you don't take into account whether the future guy who has your body will die from a heroine addiction if you do it right now?
>>
>>23327588
correct. only retards who cling to self think it's impossible to live this way,
>>
>>23327471
My ethics is virtue ethics (growing in Christ) based on deontology (Divine Law) which is ultimately grounded on and governed by the consequentialist principle of the Kingdom of God which only came to me and with which I can only interact through the contract of the Divine Covenant
>>
>>23327471
The three are often (though not always) just different ways of saying the same thing.
My personal view is that virtue is worth pursuing/developing because it leads to flourishing, i.e., leads to good consequences. And one cannot reasonably always keep in mind the whole conceptual picture of virtue and flourishing and how they are interconnected, so it makes sense to formulate some practical rules instead. Also, I sometimes feel like the value of human flourishing loses its axiomatic obviousness, so, in these cases, intstead of relying on the natural attraction of this end goal, I have to take the principle that I must pursue maximum happiness and flourishing more like a rule.
>>
I don’t know what any of these words mean.
>>
My favorite thing in ethics is when people take a theory, evaluate it against an ethical belief they already have, then approve or disapprove of the theory based on whether is agrees with that belief.
>>
>>23327639
>>23327639
Is the google machine not working?
>>
File: david-foster-wallace.jpg (165 KB, 400x400)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
I'm a Kantian
An Aryan Kantian
>>
False tetratomy (or whatever you'd call it) but nevertheless virtue > deontology > contractarianism > consequentialist
>>
Consequentialist > Deontology > Contractarianism > Virtue

For me.

The output is important.
>>
A Nietzschean/Jungian approach to Natural Law ethics.
>>
>>23327598
>not just being a coordinate

2D and above fags are insufferable
>>
>>23327471
Why are those two Anglo midwits put in the same picture as the profound genius of the Greek and German nations?
>>
>>23327576
Virtue ethics is generally egoistic. It's about maximum self-improvement. Aristotle says again and again that when you choose the good, you're choosing what is best for yourself.
>>
>>23327580
nice
>>
>>23327601
Damm does this actually make sense. Kind of fascinating.
>>
>>23327471
There's scarcely anything more midwit than a preoccupation with labels and labeling.
>>
>>23327471
Theistic ethical naturalism
>>
>>23330037
Not a midwit thing, I actually wager people who think in terms of vague vibes are more midwit than someone who categorically masters the universe of names from top to bottom. Because the former tend to be exclusively female and are you saying females are smart? Because I got bad news for you. Rene Girard, famous anthropologist talked of a theory which he believed ended with Christ. Since the world is becoming more secular we need a new martyr.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.