[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: latest-1125994819.jpg (106 KB, 697x1000)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Have you ever recorded an audiobook? I am looking into getting into the industry and would like the advise of anyone who has experience. I at the very least would like to make some audiobooks for books that don't have one yet.
>>
>>23329610
Also, is there any money to be made by someone independent?
>>
Look into voice acting tips, same shit really.
>>
>>23329610
Amazon has a special website for voice actors who make audio books. Authors put their shit up and voice actors can pick the ones they want to audition for. I forget the name of the website, probably something like AmazonKDP or something.

Things to consider:
>you need a good microphone
>putting a blanket over your head and microphone makes a great sound booth
>you need an audio mixer to fix your voice
>you will probably fuck up a lot while reading and every single mistake is something you need to go back and edit later. Which makes recording an audiobook two or three times longer than you would think.
>>
>>23330193
I don't want to work for Amazon.Knowledge should be free.
>>
>>23330193
Why would I need to edit it? Can't I just not make mistakes?
>>
>>23331534
>multiple hours of reading
>no mistakes
Try it right now. Record yourself reading just a few pages and then play it back; beyond stumbling over words, listen for things like mouth noises. Consider that it's not just getting the words out, but making it pleasing to listen to (for multiple hours) for someone not used to your voice or the words on the page, meaning they'll be especially able to pick up on oddities. You can definitely get good at it, but you're still going to make mistakes, and the time it takes not just to fix them but to find them is also significant. And when fixing, you'll likely have to re-record parts, which either requires careful splicing to make the recording consistent or larger chunks to be re-read.

It's like asking why you'd have to edit a book.
>just write it right the first time!
>>
>>23331548
I did what you said. The most distracting thing about it was the sound of me turning the pages. Can I record using paper books or do I need to use a pdf of ebook?
>>
>>23331803
You can play with the mic's settings and position until it only pick your voice up.
If you're planning to do it for free then people will appreciate it even if it's not perfectly professional and has mistakes. I listened to "the story of central banking" audiobook on YouTube and the reader kept making mistakes and saying "i read it wrong" and no one in the comment section had a problem with it.
>>
>>23331852
Thanks. I used the mic on my $10 headphones. I'll look into getting a higher quality directional mic.
>>
>>23332161
Lmao
>>
>>23332889
What is funny about that?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.