[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Sunny_Official.jpg (38 KB, 420x603)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
For the discussion of Japanese, Chinese, English, and Korean webnovels/lightnovels.

All forms of litrpg, xianxia and other genres such as Isekai, and media such as visual novels are welcome. Formerly web and now published works are also allowed.

You are free to post your own works(as long as it is WN format) and ask for feedback.

For published novels and tradSci-fi/Fantasy please head on over to >>/sffg/

Due to the constant complaints from /sffg/ I have decided to create a general that will primarily focus on the Eastern web/light novel and English litrpg scene.

>A glossary for those of you who don't know what Xianxia is:
https://www.wuxiaworld.com/page/general-glossary-of-terms/
>Website for Litrpg:
https://www.royalroad.com/home
>A website that hosts the metadata of many Eastern web/light novels and translation links:
https://www.novelupdates.com/

Picrel is Sunny from Shadow Slave

If you have any questions or ways I could improve, please say.
>>
>>23332974
First time reading a light novel pic related.
I wanted to know what the anime is missing.
I was surprised how short these chapters are, they are like 4 pages.
I guess the idea is that Japs can read these on short commutes without needing a bookmark?
>>
File: FY.jpg (183 KB, 594x868)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>
>>23333033
Whoa, I remember reading the manga of this a few years back. I ran out of chapters before completely forgetting about it until now. Is the light novel any good? Also, yes, light novel chapters are significantly shorter sometimes. I have no idea how it works, but there seems to be no consistency from what I can tell. Some light novels have tens of pages per chapter, while others have only 2 or 3, some both.
>>
>>23332974
I didn't know there were physical prints of Female General and Eldest Princess in English so I will be buying a copy and rereading it.
>>
File: _..png (98 KB, 746x508)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>23333150
>yuri
Not liking shouldn't immediately label you as a faggot. I hate all fag shit. In fact, liking yuri should automatically as a fag.
>>
>>23333089
It has a lot of exposition, but I like exposition so I don't mind. It's a good translation, very easy to read, but translators couldn't resist including rare words.
I guess I'm most bothered by how estrogenic is
>>
>>23333169
label you*
>>
>>23333169
I'm a yurifag, you're a fagfag, who cares.
>>
>>23333171
Cool, will check it out, haven't read many LNs these days.
>>
File: 59661342.jpg (473 KB, 1707x2560)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
Finished reading Mother of Learning a few days back and does anyone else feel that it was a huge disappointment? All that build up for just 2 chapters in the real world. I have no drive to read the sequel(if there is one) after that. Also, why does everyone, specifically Zach(and Zorian to some extent) behave like little kids? Does the time loop regress their mind too?
>>
File: 1691852202150416.gif (2.24 MB, 320x276)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB GIF
>>23332974
Pointless general. Go back to /sffg/ and just ignore the one retard who spams racist shit when you post.
>>
>>23333477
More centralization, if this post fails, I won't bother.
>>
>>23333362
I enjoyed it. The characters are kids, at least from my old mans view point. Zach and Zorian experience years, but their bodies do not age, so they will still have the emotional responses of teens.
AFAIK there is no sequel, but I would read it if ever published.
>>
Reading Monogatari and I wish they'd included TL notes.
>>
Reading LoTGH right now. Writing is ok. Similar to western space stuff.
>>
Not literature.
>>
>>23334000
hmm, what was the ending scene about the spider for then?
>>
>>23332974
Good luck with your new general, when I tired to make a smut/harem general on /lit/ I got banned for 15 days.
>Picrel is Sunny from Shadow Slave
That's absolutely NOT how I envisioned him, especially since he gets described multiple times as a small doll-like individual, almost a like a children.
>>
>>23334471
philosophy actually isn't literature and yet we still have to put up with first year undergrad posting about it
>>
If you make it, they will come, was a lie.
>>
Reverend insanity
>>
I think I'll bite the bullet and start reading my first xianxia. Not sure which one to choose to read first, as I'm not the type of person who likes to start with with everyone's top 1 series, and rather read something that is "great but not the best you'll find in this genre". Any recommendations?
>>
>>23336400
Martial World
>>
>>23336410
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
>>
I read Black Bullet recently and I really enjoyed the prose, I feel like it was written in a way that could be very easily turned into a show (it was but still).
>>
Anyone reading Wildbow's current web serial Claw? He described it as a crime procedural but the synopsis makes it sound more like a spy thriller. I'm not sure what to expect.
>>
Have a couple bookmarked on my royal road that I plan on reading this week sometime.
>>
>>23336686
Do you know any Royal Road works that aren't complete slop?
>>
Been reading bookworm and I'm quite enjoying it. Almost done with part 4 then onto part 5
>>
File: myne_sky.jpg (68 KB, 1024x576)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>23337581
Enjoy it while it lasts
>>
I keep reading modern fantasy LNs even though they all annoy me by making the protagonists too strong/capable for there to ever be a threat to them.

I need to stop lol
>>
>>23337581
I tried reading this a while back and got cringed into stopping. Why does the protag behave like an actual retard? I get that acting your age is important, but knowing that it was a full-grown ((woman)) bawling her eyes out every time something slightly bad happened annoyed me to no end. Not to mention the constant clamoring about wanting books, any books. Made it seem like she was someone who valued aesthetics over the actual content.
>>
>>23338844
I could never get into it, because that's just exactly what it seems like based on the premise. Why would I want to watch/read about some kid obsessing about books? Where is the hook? But it's still somehow massively popular.
>>
File: 20240416_220152.jpg (216 KB, 1352x1812)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
shamless self plug.
>https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/77558/project-17-sen-no-fukai
>>
>>23336703
I've checked out dozens, maybe hundreds, but it's not easy to hit gold. The top lists are full of shit. A few less known works had potential, but then fucked up one way or another.

Necromancer Unmanned was fairly interesting. It presents itself as a shameless power fantasy, but is a bit more than that. For being so mighty and infamous, the protagonist struggles a lot with, well, everything. The story had a rather realistic, intimate approach to a very ridiculous subject, with unusual attention to detail. Too bad, it seems the author went and fucking died, as it's gone silent for half a year now.

Miner Lord started out interesting. I was looking for dwarf stories and this hit the spot dead on. At first. The author clearly knows a thing or two about mining, geology, and bushcraft and the early chapters were a pleasure. Unfortunately, it turned out the author didn't really want to write a dwarf base builder story, as advertised, but a cheap romance with a very hamfisted message about traditional family values. And, as with most base builder stories, the constantly expanding cast soon gets out of hand and the support cast is left without development. It's completed, apparently, but I never finished.

Still reading Accidental War Mage. Steampunk armor troops aren't my thing, exactly, but the author has a personal, amusing style and a clear view of his world. The story incorporates that peculiar slav mentality of being able to find humor even in most wretched and unfair situations, present in old Russian classics. I haven't gotten far yet, though, so can't say how well it holds up.
>>
>>23338921
I've been reading this one called Cultivation Nerd. Basically typical isekai xianxia, but the protagonist wises up immediately and sets out to completely avoid any contact with what he sees to be designated "main characters" and spends most of his time hiding in a library with his pet Turtle while NO WAY FAGgin any attractive woman who comes near him because he thinks it'll drag him into a love triangle plot. This, ironically enough, gets him tied up with one of the "bad guys" instead when a borderline psychotic sect heiress conscripts him into her team for an exercise, and he desperately tries to plot a course that doesn't end up with him dead.

It's fun in the way only something playing into its own cliches can be fun, and I like the way the author paces it and writes dialogue.
>>
>>23332974
I just caught up on Min-Maxing my TRPG Build in Another World.

I’m really enjoying it but it has a lack of a visible plot arch and I feel like a lot of LNs just consist of the author rambling with no plan and then getting enough pages together to turn into something marketable.

Is there a plot arch? Is the end figured out? Does the author have a plan? Were on the 9th novel and I’m still not entirely sure. Does that make it a bad series? I’m also not entirely sure. I hope TRPG gets 30+ volumes because it has a few great qualities like colorful character design and interesting plots.

It’s marketed as a harem but we don’t even have one of those yet.
>>
>>23338844
People fawn over this series and I couldn’t get into it either. The world is nice but some of the characters are insufferable.
>>
>>23338921
>Necromancer Unmanned
>struggling protag
>somewhat realistic
>attention to detail
>potentially deceased author
Sounds great, thanks.
>>
>>23339519
Most, if not all of the characters were fine, I just couldn't stand the MC.
>>
Reading this slop(picrel) and it's amazing how morality works in China. The protag has killed millions upon millions of innocent people but is still hailed as a good person. And this isn't like the protag is deceiving everyone, like "Hur durr I do le evil behind the scenes". No, he openly invades and steals crops from other countries and leaves the common people starving. Millions have perished from this alone, not even mentioning him using his cheat to throw tornadoes into other countries just to disgust the rulers. What he hurts are not the rulers, they would just be mad for a while, no, the peasants are the ones who obviously suffer the most. One other thing, which may or may not be justified is his opening sinkholes to slaughter entire armies of millions. That is one of the only ones I can slightly justify. What infuriates me the most is how the protag sees himself as a messiah who brings prosperity and wealth to the common people. Sure, the people in his country are doing fine(historically speaking), but everyone else is in endless suffering. Also, no nationalism because only East-Asian-esque countries exist in this world, kind of like a xianxia world.
>>
>>23338887
>戦の腐界(エデン)
ダっっサ
>>
>>23338844
>but knowing that it was a full-grown ((woman)) bawling her eyes out every time something slightly bad happened annoyed me to no end
nobody tell him
>>
rokujoumabros report in
>>
>>23339731
Well? What bullshit did the author come up with to explain her retardation? Good answers only.
>>
Question forn anons who read non-web novels as well:

I really like Pale Lights , probably the best thing I've read so far. But I can't help but think that the author has influences from fantasy books I haven't read yet and that might be even better. (I'm talking more about the writing style and less about the plot)
>>
Good thing you fuckers finally made your own containment thread
>>
>>23340262
I think he's alluding to the fact that fully grown women do actually bawl their eyes out every time something slightly bad happens
>>
>>23332974
>Trannime picturebook thread on /lit/
You know those meme images showing which boards have the highest IQ? As long as you let this anchor of degeneracy and retardation exist on this board, we'll always look like morons. All trannime shit belongs on /a/ or /LGBT/, same goes for their picture books
>>
>>23340394
>>23340363
>>
File: o.jpg (32 KB, 339x341)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>23340383
Ahhhh, now I feel retarded.
>>
>>23340394
dont worry, you look like morons regardless
>>
>>23336703
Here's some I liked:
Practical Guide to Sorcery
Tread Lightly
The Flower that Bloomed Nowhere
Godclads
Dark Skies
Hope
The Hallow of Blood
REND
Iron Teeth
What We Do to Survive
>>
>>23333033
Actually I'd say most LN chapters in ones I've tried are very long. I haven't quite red 10 of them, but most have like 4-5 or so very long chapters for a 200+ page novel. There are certainly some with either a few more chapters than that or many more. It really depends.
>>
>>23337581
I've been sticking with physical edition since I caught up. Yeah I'd really like to binge it but it's also kind of nice to have a new novel to look forward to every 2~ months until it wraps up. Part 5 Volume 5 drops at the end of May I believe.

I kind of skipped on a lot of LNs for a while, but I've been trying more of them lately because my well of interesting TBRs has been dry for a while.
>>
You guys are such faggots holy shit. You have access to thousands of years of good stories written by good and noble men and you choose modern trannime bugmen shit to trifle with? Disgusting. Every one of you deserves to remain a virgin forever
>>
File: FKDD6U4akAABjRE.jpg (629 KB, 2752x3348)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
>>23341037
>good stories
Name some that are on par if not better than Reverend Insanity.
>>
>>23333169
I’m straight and I love yuri. I hate the straight female protagonist stuck in an otome game tropes except for “I’m in love with the villainess” that was legit.
>>
>>23341037
I got bored of western novels.
LNs just hit different. Asian authors aren’t afraid to overuse tropes and make cliche stories with video game worlds.
>>
>>23341085
>hits dif'r'nt

thats called having shit taste
>>
>>23341433
K
>>
File: 3.jpg (49 KB, 496x305)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>23333212
>>23341064
Yuri is just a plot device writers use to appease the cucks. MC is out adventuring and saving the world while his harem has a 20 day long orgy.
>>
File: wojak-crying.png (103 KB, 618x711)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>23341037
>Every one of you deserves to remain a virgin forever
too far, APOLOGIZE
>>
>>23341037
I've probably read less than 1500 books and I feel like I've all but run out of good stuff. Where the fuck are these 1000 years of good stories written by noble men? That should be a drop in the bucket or rather an ocean and yet that ocean seems to have vanished on everyone.
>>
>>23342297
>I-i-iiii can't just read endlessly without running out of shit to read so I HAVE to read transexual propaganda from Japan!
Nigga get a second hobby you fucking homo. If I like watching TV and have watched everything I want to watch I'm not gonna start watching Japanese cartoons, I'll rewatch shit I like or find something else to do. How autistic are you that I have to explain this
>>
>>23340757
>Practical Guide to Sorcery
The author wastes a lot of time in pointless little actions and details and can't get to the point. Dropped after chapter 1.
>Tread Lightly
Not a fan of western aesthetics.
>The Flower that Bloomed Nowhere
Another case of a writer loving his voice too much and beating endlessly around the bush without actually saying anything. Dropped after two chapters.
>Godclads
Litrpg, sci-fi, and stubbed too. Fuck off.
>Dark Skies
Just plain crap.

Not gonna bother with the rest.
>>
>>23342760
Most patient /lit/tard.
Also,
>Not a fan of western aesthetics
>>
>>23342440
dumb tourist
>>
>>23342817
I'm right and you're a bitch. Did I come here in 2016 because I like Trump and typing the nigger word? Yeah. But I've stayed to post about books and fitness, and you can't do shit to stop me faggot virgin
>>
>>23342811
Cowboys and indians are the gayest shit to have happened in the history of man, right after the actual Indians
>>
>>23342950
post teeth, or nose
>>
>>23337961
medieval fantasies are basically the same thing, try to think of the last time a medieval protagonist ever lost to a "supposed" threat
>>
>>23342760
>Litrpg, sci-fi, and stubbed too
Damn it really was stubbed, why do these authors do this? You would think their new readership ratings plummet after stubbing the first volume. I could kind of understand if they do it for the subsequent volumes since there's at least something for people to read and hook them into the story
>>
Why isn't the Storm King by warden more popular? It hits a lot of the tropes that are popular and it has a lot of chapters, but the readership seems to have shrunk. Why?
>>
>>23342440
Go on back to /b/ you shitty little troll.
Containment board, begone!
*poof*
Now fuckin git
>>
>>23341037
They will solve senescence so I will be biologically immortal and advance brain-machine interfaces so it doesn't matter what I spend time on, I'll read it all eventually.
>>
Are there any more stories like Arcane Emperor?
>>
>>23342440
Unlike you, I have a functioning memory so I don't just forget everything I watch. Rewatching or rereading things is only worthwhile because I like something, but the plot points never fade from my mind.
>>
>>23344577
>Unlike you, I have a functioning-
Lmao shutup fag
>>23344375
I'm right. You transexuals are scum.
>>
>>23344159
Isn't it a requirement of Kindle Unlimited/Amazon, where they need to make the story exclusive to Amazon's platform for some duration?
>>
>>23344159
Ego, they get a sizable following online and think people will actually buy their slop.
>>
>>23345334
Too many retards encourage dishonest practices like this by immediately whipping out their wallet when they see omg this guy has a zillion billion followers so that must mean the slop is great
>>
>>23344159
Because you have to in order to make any money on Amazon. The numbers don't lie, the vast majority of amazon book money is from Kindle Unlimited.
>>
>>23345530
And how many of them succeed? Seems like false hope to me. Statistical fallacy.
>>
>>23345561
It wouldn't be common practice if it didn't work, as it nearly universally draws negative attention (reasonably so).
>>
>>23333150
>>23333169
Yo anybody ITT read "lesbian princess and cursed elf"? It was pretty hot, I'm looking for anything similar to it
>>
>>23346725
New Life As A Lewd Futanari Succubus
>>
File: kunon.png (247 KB, 238x361)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
Anyone else read this? It's pretty low stakes and a little goofy but I enjoyed the character banter.
>>
File: 1694019417634829.jpg (54 KB, 930x307)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>23340394
Ahem
>>
Super Cub!
>>
File: Beefs_and_Beards.png (1.88 MB, 1080x1612)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
Any of you bros know something like picrel?
>>
>>23332974
What kind of things make you avoid or drop a light novel?
>t. struggling RR writer
>>
>>23348652
>too much romance in an original power fantasy
>bullshit powerups, both the MC and side characters (I despise the latter)
>dungeon arc (ok if it's not too long)
>tournament arc (fine if it's well done)
>academy arc (fine the first time)
>harem
>self-righteous MC (putting himself in mortal danger for people he has no connection to)
>pushover MC
>arrogant MC
>bootlicking MC
>bratty love-interest
>lots of hostage situations
>NTR
>shallow magic system
>amnesia/crippled arc
>info-dumps
>bloat (typically with litrpg stats)
That's all I can think of right now. Of course, I won't immediately drop if one of these appears, it's usually an accumulation.
>>
>>23348652
I only care about the writing quality. Literally anything goes if a work is clearly, creatively, and correctly written. A good writer can make most generic trope slop seem fresh and interesting, and gets you to love everything >>23348685 listed. But writing is usually the last thing amateurs care about. I've lost count how many times I've come across a web novel with a fascinating premise, but wanted to throw my monitor out of the window after the first paragraph.
>>
>>23348685
Isekai
Flashback sequences
Bland self insert protag, also amnesiac protag
>>
>>23348763
>Bland self insert protag
I'm fine with this. As long as it aligns with my interests.
>>
>>23348722
Good writing can't salvage cuckoldry. Not in a web novel at least.
>>
>>23348933
>Good writing can't salvage cuckoldry.
Yes, Wuthering Heights is a masterpiece
>>
>>23349345
Imagine reading women authors
>>
I'm looking for a genuinely funny novel. Not that meme stuff, genuine comedy. With a protagonist that is neither a Gary Stu nor disgusting.

Failing that, I'd be fine with one about a tomboy falling in love with a man.
>>
>>23349555
The Legend of Sun Knight
>>
>Finally try Reverend Insanity
>Main enemy turned side kick becomes a woman at the end of Book 1
Every single time
>>
>>23349633
>Finally try Reverend Insanity
but why?
>>
>>23349665
why not
>>23349633
"She" never fucks him btw. One of my biggest gripes with the story.
>>
File: 20240429_094903.jpg (40 KB, 640x421)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>23339702
わからないよね~
>>
>>23348722
>A good writer can make most generic trope slop seem fresh and interesting
This is what most people don't understand. You don't have to be "original" or "innovative" if you can write half-competently. See: The Belgariad.
>>
>>23349788
Innovative works are more memorable though. And are more likely to garner a following.
>>
>>23349796
When two works with trash writing compete, of course the one that seems different wins. But that doesn't mean you can't do better purely by skill.
>>
>>23350017
Being original and innovative is a part of writing anon. Part of good writing is a good imagination.
>>
>>23350220
Water is wet, nice things are nice, faggotry is gay.
>>
>>23350302
water isn't wet
>>
>>23350392
Due to strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding, it is.
>>
>>23350392
if water isn't wet then how is a cloth I dip in it wet and not water?
>>
>Discord doesn't host images anymore
終わりだ...
>>
>>23348722
Based formalist
>>
>>23350534
Isn't the main audience of discord pedophiles? How will they earn anything anymore?
>>
>Under the shade of willow trees were two boys sobbing, it looked like the two Wu brothers. Guo Fu shouted out, “Hey, what are you doing there?”

>Wu Xiuwen replied, “We are crying, can’t you see?”

I don't know why, but this is the funniest shit I've ever read
>>
>>23351294
You can still upload photos but they're not permanent. The link changes.
>>
>>23344342
I found it pretty average until the school arc ~70 chapters in when it seemed to devolve into the usual young master and harem tropes, so I dropped it
>>
Bump
>>
has anything come close to DCC in quality yet?
>>
Necroepilogos is pretty good
I don't really care much for yuri but it was described as post-apocalypse body horror with obvious inspiration from Blame! and Evangelion, which was too much for me to pass up
>>
>>23335506
What?
>>
>>23354523
I like Pale Lights better these days.
>>
>>23348652
evil or edgelord protagonists
unoriginal premice (kept me from starting DCC until it got a lot of good reviews to ignore)
>>
>>23348652
I hate it when the MC gets some disembodied spirit that acts like a wikipedia, exposition dumping and spoiling all the fun of the MC discovering shit for themselves
>>
File: 1640033015299.jpg (139 KB, 1149x891)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>23332974
Anyone have any recent xianxia recs? I've read everything that that's older than 3 years or at least tried it and hated it.
Some examples of recent ones I've enjoyed are Cultivating In Secret Beside A Demoness and My Longevity Simulation.
Chinese only. I don't touch western garbage because they don't get it and can't write it well.
>>
>>23356558
Have you read Tales of Herding Gods? Would highly recommend if you haven't, the author also has a newer book called Walking by the Abyss on Thin Ice which I heard is sort of a sequel but not even a single chapter has been translated so I haven't been able to read it
>>
>>23356558
Simulation Towards Immortality In A Group Chat
>>
>>23356558
Li Fan is rapidly becoming the peak of bugman mindset characters in Xianxia.
>>
>>23356261
>evil or edgelord protagonists
this is good, wdym
>>
>>23356761
I stopped around 600, but he seems pretty good to me? Relative to his age.
>>
>>23356586
Hopefully it gets translated. Tales of Herding Gods and Rise of Humanity were both fun.

>>23356664
Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. I like simulation type stories.

>>23356761
That's part of the fun. You'll never see characters like this in western novels.
>>
>>23357781
I'm not 12 any more and I'm not into romance books
>>
File: 1711056473925248.png (3.14 MB, 1920x1080)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB PNG
Are there any well written Cultivation novels?Doesn't matter if it's Wuxia/Xianxia or Eastern/Western, just want something well done that isn't just either talking heads screaming at each other or poorly translated rambling.
>>
File: 1694459581771224.jpg (66 KB, 400x567)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>ohhh and i'm thinking a trillion times faster than normal!!!
>ohhh it burns a gorillion times hotter than the sun!!!!
>ohhhh i'm in (difficult situation) WOAH RAPHAEL JUST HAPPENED TO FINISH A HECKIN NEW POWERUP!!! ZOINKS!!!@
I got really spoiled by Ascendance of a Bookworm, I won't deny it. But I've also read a few other VNs (Mushoku Tensei, Overlord) and they werent this fucking egregious. Feels like I'm reading a 12yo cramming whatever retarded shit he thinks is cool at the moment.
I don't think I can finish volume 10.
>>
>>23359207
Read Sovereign of the Three Realms. It's translated but the translation is not bad.
>>
>>23359339
Actual dogshit mate.
>>
>>23359410
Why?
>>
>>23359243
I hung on while the true dragons were still considered the strongest. As stupidly broken as the MC got, there were still characters in the game who could easily kick his ass, which kept things a little interesting. Then he pulled yet another powerup out of his ass without even directly confronting the dragons, which gave him control over time, space, gravity and all, and put him on par with the strongest dude around, and that's where I finally gave up. What a waste of time
>>
>>23359414
cliche and repetitive as shit
>>
>>23359207
Anything written by Mao Ni, Way of Choices is the most popular one
best western one I've found is Nameless Sovereign
>>
>>23359428
No fucking way.
Yep, I'm not finishing this volume, no way. On top of that I just found out that Fuse is actually 50yo, what a retarded fucking chuuni holy shit.
>>
>>23359207
>>23359410
Have you read Otherwordly Evil Monarch?
>>
>>23359749
I have read Chaotic Sword God, so close enough.
>>
File: 1648835034320.jpg (174 KB, 1125x1406)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>23356664
Well, I read like 200 chapters.
It's decent. The simulations take so much time and don't leave any focus for side characters, and the world building isn't anywhere as interesting as My Longevity Simulation. At least the later chapters are better than the earlier ones.
Especially the group missions which are pretty good.
>>
>>23346725
This was a serious request btw
>>
>>23360421
It has barely been a day............
>>
>>23359207
Lord of the Mysteries could count as a Xuanhuan.
IET novels are always fun, though not very well written.
Ergen has a new novel, "Beyond the Timescape" which is pretty good.
Martial World and Its sequel True Martial World, though the latter is not very good.
As the other anon mentioned, "My Longevity Simulation" is one of the better new xianxias, I recommend giving it a try.
Of course, if you still haven't read it, Reverend Insanity is always recommended.
Other than that "Eternal Sacred King" is pretty fun if you want an old, cliche-filled but well written xianxia.
>>
>check out Moth of Brightlyre on royalroad
>pretty interesting premise
>couple of chapters in there's suddenly litrpg status screens
what the fuck is this shit, how is it not tagged litrpg?
>>
>>23361088
One of my favorite things of Chinese webnovels is how fast I can speed-read them. I actually read all 248 chapters that were out at the time.
And the translation is godawful too, so the worse the translation, the faster I go. It was even worse than when I read My Longevity Simulation with MTL. The "translator" didn't even try to edit it.
>>
File: ok.jpg (638 KB, 2696x1046)
638 KB
638 KB JPG
>>23361520
Mate, I skimmed and it still took me 9 hours to read 109 chapters. Either I'm really really slow, or you spent 20 hours straight reading. Not to mention that the chapters of this novel are longer than the average webnovel and get progressively longer, 120 to 140 is a total of 400 pages.
I am impressed, really.
>>
>>23361610
Looking at browser history it took about 8 hours with a break in-between. I'm a glutton.
>>
>>23361613
I stopped after the succubus lady because she kept getting on my nerves. Does it get better?
>>
>>23361613
Note that the chapter number I'm using are cut up by the translator. Like the 248 actually means 119 in the raws. I don't know if you're using the same translations.

>>23361622
If you mean the god arc, it doesn't last that long, and her raping the pope to death at the end is pretty funny.
I mean, all the side characters basically end up worshiping the protagonist anyway.
>>
>>23361640
>Note that the chapter number I'm using are cut up by the translator. Like the 248 actually means 119 in the raws.
Oh no, that makes much more sense. I was reading the mtl raws. Also,
>If you mean the god arc, it doesn't last that long
I guess I will try reading it again, maybe I was just having a bad day.
>>
>>23346725
>>23360489
Did you already read >>23346903 ? It was a very serious rec, a literary masterpiece I would say.
>>
>>23357932
He ends up seeing everyone as ants, is actively described as sneering at people because they value morality and loyalty, yet when he has a mental breakdown and a completely innocent cultivator witnesses it, he brutally murders him while he begs for mercy and decides to kill him in every future simulation from then on and replace him with a philosophical zombie.
>>
>>23362100
Seems pretty good to me. Unless you want a morally good and perfect protagonist, which was never what The Longevity Simulation was supposed to be. Keep in mind that he was a commoner who became an emperor in an ancient Chinese-esque empire, there is no way in hell that he didn't genocide a number of his opposition before that.
>>
>>23359207
Read The End of Magic Era
>>
>>23361471
RR isn't all litrpg? Color me suprised.
>>
Best LitRPG coming through
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/55418/rock-falls-everyone-dies
>>
>>23332974
how can I make money writing? If I do light novel slop, can I make enough to have a modest life?

is erotica the only other good option?

am I gay?
>>
>>23349555
It outstays it's welcome (inevitable for a webnovel) but I Don't Want To Defy The Heavens is really funny, both as a genre parody and just as a farce.
Just drop it the moment the stakes get upped
>>
>>23332974
Wait there's a webnovel/lightnovel general now? Thank fuck that means sffg will be free of those. Can you also take the litrpgfags with you?
>>
>>23363730
no these are just splitters, I'm not leaving you alone to make 300 posts about how you've only read bakker
>>
>>23363619
This guy is making bang so I guess it is. I read his first few chapters and I still don't really understand the appeal but perhaps that my jealousy blinding me.
Most of what I see on RRs top page is Isekai LITRPG Smut. If you wanna make money then write that shit or get lucky like this guy did and write what you want.
>>
>>23363796
Sleyca's a woman and they're as good as your gonna get for a webnovel. Fantastic character writer, and as much editorial standards as you're gonna get from a two chapters a week schedule.
>>
>>23363796
>>23363879
>Isekai LITRPG Smut

so...just like current manga but with words, huh?
>>
>>23363730
t. jelly "hard" scifi enjoyer

lol
>>
>>23363796
>that pic

how the fuck do you do that? I mean, a gamedev or drawing artist to get to that level of profitable is too fucking difficult.

Is she a 1% survivor?
>>
>>23363974
luck is absolutely a huge factor, but looking it up she's dropping roughly 10k words every week. gotta respect the hustle
>>
File: lllllllllllllllll.png (655 KB, 1080x1085)
655 KB
655 KB PNG
>>23363796
>>23363974
>>23363999
>>
>>23364004
>>23363796
where does this come from? I thought people didn't read anymore thanks to games, tiktok and netflix.

Holy shit.
>>
>>23348685
I think I strike a fine balance of the two.
I feel that I justify all of the power ups that the MC gets as coming from something he researched and connecting the dots between spells and magical phenomenon.
I've done neither.
Guilty as charged. But I break it up with some other stuff since the MC can come and go as he pleases, and for two months of the year he is back home. I think mine lasts from about chapter 70 to 210, but as I mentioned, I break it up with my MC leaving.
>harem
Nope.
>self-righteous MC (putting himself in mortal danger for people he has no connection to)
He has his reasons. It's not just that he's some kind of shining beacon of virtue, it's guilt for all of the lives he has already directly or otherwise been involved in taking.
He hates to see people abused and solves it with violence when he can.
>pushover MC
MC is constantly pushing the bounds of what he's allowed to get away with, and those bounds keep getting further and further as he gets stronger and more well connected.
>arrogant MC
I wouldn't call him arrogant, at least, not moreso than anyone who got too much power too quickly. People set him straight when he gets out of line and he mellows out a little as he grows up.
>bootlicking MC
Refer to my section on being a pushover.
>bratty love-interest
No. His love-interest, the first one, is slavishly devoted to him, which he dislikes. But, she grows into her own independent person overtime.
I can think of just one instance, and it gets resolved fairly quickly.
>NTR
Technically, but there are factors at play.
It also depends on what you consider NTR.
The situation involves a clone behind left behind that has all of his memories (other than knowledge that he is a clone) and the MC lacks the ability to return for a year in the story.
He moved past her already, because he didn't expect to go back anyway, but it's a sore spot for a little bit.
>shallow magic system
I think my system is deep without turning into pages of explanations on how every single thing works. I spread that stuff out so I don't bog down the story with exposition.
>amnesia/crippled arc
Actually going through that right now, but he's rapidly regaining his memories and will be mostly back to himself in another couple chapters. Otherwise all crippling events last a chapter or two at most.
>info-dumps
Funny enough, I've gotten a few negative comments and even a review because I don't info-dump.
Not a litRPG.
https://www.royalroad.com/author-dashboard/dashboard/56518
There, now I've shilled myself.
I didn't want to just post my story in the thread then run away without contributing to anything.
If you'd like clarification on anything here, just ask.
>>
>>23364019
>people didn't read anymore thanks to games, tiktok and netflix
That's the thing, mate. web novels ARE made more gamers and people who don't like reading actual books. There's a huge market for it.
>>
>>23364019
people love escapist slop, and they're so zoom zoom brained paying 10 bucks a month to be 10 chapters ahead gets their dopamine receptors going like crazy because now they're ahead of the curve and they can dab on all those poor shitters who can't (don't bother to) do so. the illusion of exclusivity is a powerful motivator
>>
>>23364040
>>23364041
Interesting, that's great advice. I will have to check it out but I guess I will be a late trend adopter anyway.
>>
>>23358455
I've never read something good with an edgelord protagonist.
It can start with one, but if they never change then it seems like trash only meant for other edgelords.
Last one I read was Mortal Blade. Hundreds of chapters where the MC is just a prick who would kill people, sometimes just because he can.
It has some neat concepts, but I got bored of it.
Funny enough, that's the thing that got me to start writing on my own, I figured I could do better.
>>
File: kkkkkkkkkkkkk.png (88 KB, 961x519)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>23364035
>>
>>23364069
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/56518/changling-the-child-from-the-woods
In my haste, I sent my author dashboard instead of my fiction page.
I do things like this when I'm going between writing and shitposting.
>>
File: 1715021056875323.png (1.03 MB, 1247x1174)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>23338887
>No serious replies
It's over
>>
>>23348685
my story has neither present
the setting is pretty grounded. no character really gets a power up
its not a fantasy or long running serial so you wont see these
>harem
in all but name
the MC is pretty anti righteous
>pushover MC
>arrogant MC
>bootlicking MC
the MC is a bit arrogant of these three but i think thats what makes him entertaining
>bratty love-interest
mesugakis are great but no such character is in this story
theres a few
>NTR
none of that
>shallow magic system
depends on what you consider shallow
>amnesia/crippled arc
this is a thing?
>info-dumps
I try to restrain my dialogue from being too long
not a litrpg
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/77729/progressive-detective-all-over-again
I'm not good with web serials which is why there hasn't been an update in awhile. I drafted to the end and I'm currently editing my way there so It'll be a while before there's any changes posted.
>>23364035
>>23338887
I'm not a big fan of long running stories but I'll take a look at these, maybe leave a comment or two
>>
>>23363974
1% is a lot when there are thousands of these web novel authors. Most of them are garbage, so the ones that actually do hit, hit hard.
>>
>>23364195
I did try it a few days back, but the premise just wasn't interesting to me. I think I read around 5 chapters before stopping. The weeb dialogue and eight grade syndrome like vibe were off-putting, not to say that the former is a dealbreaker, idk just seemed out of place to me. I honestly don't have a lot to say, which was why I didn't bother responding in the first place.
>>
>>23363796
It probably helps that sleyca consistently cranks out well written and edited 8k-word chapters twice a week. And they're actually good too, unlike some long webnovels where the author is clearly just stretching scenes to pad out a word count
>>
>>23364440
Hmmm, I looked over what I wrote again and feel that it's too discouraging. I wasn't offering constructive criticism after all. Keep your head up, guy; maybe I am just not the target audience.
>>
File: 1702862317437204.gif (480 KB, 498x298)
480 KB
480 KB GIF
>>23364440
>premise just wasn't interesting to me
Did you find the excitement lacking or just the premise and exposition boring?
>The weeb dialogue and eight grade syndrome
Well at least I know the intended effect happend lol. I get if you find the main character off putting and weird that was sorta my intention with him. An average loser put into an unfair and massive world.
>idk just seemed out of place to me
As in the tone of the characters clashed with the plot or did the vibe feel off? Could you explain a bit more please?
>which was why I didn't bother responding in the first place
I appreciate any kind of feedback. Even your short comments mean alot to me. At least I know it's just not your cup of tea instead of being unreadable babble.
>>
>>23364446
>And they're actually good too
lmao
>>
>>23364465
The premise didn't enthrall me or make me want to read more; a word to describe it would be 'mediocre,' I guess. I didn't really read enough to get to the meat of the story, but I didn't want to read more since I didn't want to find out what happens next, a feeling, y'know? Also, some scenes, mostly the emotional ones, felt rushed and robotic.
In addition to that, you couldn't have made it less obvious that the MC was supposed to be edgy lol. iirc he wore dark clothes, had long bangs and behaved like a horny middle schooler? Hated him the second he started speaking.
That's why I said it wasn't for me, the protag is the heart of the story, if I can't like him, going through the text would just be a slog, not to mention that the plot or writing didn't capture me either.
That's the best I can do with what limited things I remember from a few days back, good luck.
>>
>>23363619
Hardcore litrpg smut. Check out Profane Prince of Domination, or Fulfilling My Lustful Fantasies. Both were very good.
>>
>>23364502
Have you read it?
>>
>>23364574
I understand what you mean. I for sure struggled to write the start and rushed it a bit. I wanna go back and rewrite at some point.
Thank you man I really do appreciate it.
>>
first impressions on opening random chapters
>>23363796
looks decent, maybe readable even
>>23364004
>Jake wondered if the Order had boosted some people to the floor yet, but then realized he didn’t actually care as they soon enough made their way to the central square, where they finally laid their eyes on the two Leaderboards there.
holy fuck, people read this? at least with sea nigger TL grifts of trashy WNs you have the heart of the author seep through every once in a while.
>but then realized he didn’t actually care
no kidding, author
>>
>>23364718
I tried once, it was shit, anon, exactly as shit as you'd expect from a cape fanfic litrpg
>>
>>23363727
>I Don't Want To Defy The Heavens
Lin Fan, ugh
>>
Thread Duration 10 Days Achieved!
You learn Anti-Spam I
You learn Thread Quality I
You learn /wlng/ Creation Chance I
You learn Greentext I
You learn Appreciation I
>>
>>23332974
The author of reverend insanity has released a third novel.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/mysteries-of-immortal-puppet-master/
>>
>>23365304
I don't know how to feel about this... Didn't really like his last novel much. Feels like he lost all his creativity after getting banned by the ccp.
>>
Read up to the latest chapter of Reforged from Ruin. I think I would recommend it as it's a fun read.
There's some things I dislike however, for example at one point basically every other chapter had a PoV change. It also feels like things are moving extremely fucking slowly for like 50 chapters before this current arc, which is a lot better and more interesting.
Yuri romance is also present, though I don't think it can be called romance when there's just mentions of them fucking and apparently more explicit stuff on patreon, more like an excuse to just write some smut

The insane female MC and her antics are probably the best part (my favourite part of the story would be the start when she's crippled and invents a new way to cultivate, too bad it didn't last longer), as well as the interesting spin on the usual xianxia genre. I just feel like it goes too far too fast without exploring the greater picture of the world and the powers in it. the MC also feels absolutely unkillable at this point, she can grow new limbs and regenerate organs in seconds. I don't think this will happen but I kind of hope the author kills the MC so there can be a fresh start
Overall it feels like something written in a haste by someone with a solid premise but no real plan or pacing, which I guess is the failing of most webnovels
>>
>>23365587
>female MC
TRASH
>Yuri
Hmm? Interesting
>apparently more explicit stuff on patreon, more like an excuse to just write some smut
Solid(and respectable) grift lmao, exploiting horny retards is a gift to humanity.
>>
None of this has anything at all to do with literature. What the fuck are mods doing?
>>
>>23354523
>DCC
Dick Consuming Coomer?
>>
>>23365853
Dungeon Crawler Carl i'm guessing
>>
I just think it’s interesting how the “Many Children Many Blessings” subgenre of xianxia novels tend to have the most human and moral MCs in all of xianxia if you don’t count rape/stockholm syndrome inducement and polygamy as a moral deficit.
>>
>>23365851
What the fuck do you think philosophy has to do with literature. Go complain in those offtopic threads first
>>
File: 1660803957810663.jpg (27 KB, 579x440)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
I read Life Simulation - Add Tags Starting with Wellness Technique. Sadly it's pretty disappointing. In the beginning it had some parts that were inspired by(and then straight up ripped off) Way of the Devil which is one of my favorites, but it becomes irrelevant later. So I don't even know what was the point. At this point it's a basic cookie cutter xianxia with nothing going for it except that it's not terrible.

I think it's time to read some worm fanfics after this.
>>
I'm currently reading Mother of Learning and just finished chapter one. Does it get any better or am I just wasting my time? I heard that it was really good but it doesn't really feel like it.
>>
>>23366499
It's good. I've read it twice.
>>
>>23365851
You should have your head checked if you really think written works have nothing to do with literature.
>>
>>23363796
I love this one so much. I put off reading it for like 6 months after it was recommended to me because the overall quality of webfiction is trash but I've rarely read better traditionally published fiction. I might be willing to say it's the best fiction I've read but I think that's just the fact that Sleyca is telling a story that has all of the stuff I like and it's pretty hard for me to find stories that have all the stuff I like in them handled in the way I like.
>>
I'm gonna do it, bros. I'm gonna start writing an isekai, litrpg, progression, harem, monstergirl, smut webnovel with good plot and good prose
tell me everything you want to see in it (nothing against RRs TOS of course)
>>
>>23366626
How is it as a superhero story? My only experience with superhero novels is the parahumans seties
>>
>>23366871
You honestly have to figure out which audience you want to pander to first and then go to the source, not here
Powerfantasy fags need all those hierarchical relationships and "world building" to justify shonenshit
Harem fags will be all girls with zero personality while 20 metrosexual men pine over them
Isekai JRPG autists are also powerfantasy fags but they world altering power to make the world more orderly to fit their autistic needs
Or you go full niche and fine things that are lacking but probably have some weirdos wanting them (steampunk, egyptian, etc).
>>
File: 1704300680185310.png (1.11 MB, 733x1000)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>23367033
Now the real truth isn't going to be some pithy about 'you are what you eat', no it's far simpler that that: If you're not earnest in your writing, people will know
You can eventually loathe the story, loathe your characters, even regret you did it. But if the only spark is monetary acquisition then that's exactly how your story will read, nothing more, nothing less. If you can seek something more than that, well, picrel is a good example of a series of shitposts and writing exercises that turned into success not by mere accident
>>
>>23349555
It's been a few years since I've read it but The Strongest System was a pretty funny novel, just general absurdity for 1,100 chapters. Ending is kind of beautiful.
>>
>>23366909
tl;dr: "It's Good"
I haven't read Worm yet so I can't compare them. It breaks free from a lot of superhero tropes but not entirely, it doesn't seem to be meant as a critique of the superhero genre like most that try to break free from the common superhero genre tropes but it definitely has some moments that are reminiscent of those. It's mostly slice of life but there's still plenty of tension. As of chapter 153 Alden still doesn't have any "saved the city/world" moments although he has done heroic things. He also doesn't seem to be overly self sacrificing and definitely isn't so overpowered that he doesn't really need to sacrifice himself. For the moments that he is self sacrificing, it doesn't come off as "I'm a hero and that's what heroes do" moment but rather "I got in some shit that I didn't mean to and I can't just leave this person to die now that I'm in it" Overall I would say that if you love the classic superhero story then you might not enjoy this one, and if you like action then you might be disappointed. If you are okay with a chapter about making dinner and the follow up chapter about them eating dinner somehow being filled to the brim with tension for all 12,000 words of them then you'll probably like this one. It's very much a character driven story and all of the characters feel alive and like their lives don't revolve around Alden, the main character. The progression can feel slow at times mostly due to Alden being constantly surrounded by people that are more powerful or more experienced or both, but this is mostly an illusion that I don't want to get more into for spoiler reasons. There is quite a lot of horror, both psychological and regular so if that's not your cup of tea then you might avoid it. I thought the horror elements were appropriate and fit well with the more realistic take on the genre.

>>23367179
It has not. I'm having some difficulty keeping my interest up so I haven't gotten much further yet. I'm definitely trying to push to that point because I've heard the same from others.
>>
>>23366499
It's great. Has the time loop started yet? That's when it starts to get really good.
>>
>>23367193
See here: >>23367189
Feel free to ignore the Super Supportive review.
>>
>>23366626
>I might be willing to say it's the best fiction I've read
I've seen so many RR users say completely absurd bullshit like this, but never specify what exactly are all these mysterious "things I like". Is it bots? Paid promotion?
>>
>>23366499
>time looping
How could it possibly be any good?
>>
>>23367318
Maybe it's poor reading comprehension or brain damage or time travel. Who knows? Probably a combination of at least two of those since you failed to comprehend the rest of that sentence where I directly stated that I probably just think that because it scratches all of the storytelling itches I have for a superhero story and then failed to see >>23367189 where I briefly mentioned some of those mysterious "things I like" before you had the opportunity to complain about me not doing that.
>>
>>23367323
How could it not? Time looping, if done very well(which Mother of Learning does) is one of the most fun experiences you can have. Such as how one scenario would have differed from another, or how characters behave in different loops, etc. Too bad that there are a limited number of them, and most that do, don't do it very well.
>>
>>23366871
less milfs, I don't like milfs
>>
>>23367189
The time loop starts relatively quickly, I recommend pushing forward until then.
>>
>>23367106
The ending was the worst of any media I have ever seen, Legitimately made me hate the author so much. The entire novel was ruined.
>>
>>23367362
Time looping is always a dogshit plot device, giving cheap, lazy solutions to dumb problems. Groundhog day played what few interesting points there are in the concept, what exactly does this amateur slop add to that?
>>
>>23367339
You really suck at expressing yourself. All those fucking words and you still somehow dodged answering the question.
>>
File: 1695734151759.png (1.43 MB, 1146x1072)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
>writer refuses to give a description of the protagonist at all
Who actually likes this?
What's with all these aphantasiac authors?
Just write dialogue if you don't see the appeal of descriptive writing.
>>
>>23368743
I was reading something recently which was describing a battle scene against some monsters, and it took the author seven fucking paragraphs before I got any description of the monsters besides the fact that they were monsters that were moving forwards.
Shit infuriates me. Set the scene first and then go into more detail.
>>
>>23368760
>large monster
>fast monster
>fat monster
>lava monster
>ice monster
>rat monster
>slime monster
>monster
>spiky monster
>big-head monster
>ugly monster
I honestly don't need more than this.
>>
File: 1691882993164093.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>23364195
Not gonna read your shitty story, but nice pic.
>>
>>23368743
It's because the majority of them are writing in first person and don't know how to describe their narrator without having them look at their own reflection
>>
>>23349748
Because "she" isn't a she and wants to turn back into a man asap.
>>
>>23369294
>It's because the majority of them are writing in first person
No they don't, are you talking about RR writers or ln writers?
>>
>>23369166
>SylphieBITCH
I wouldn't have wanted you anyways.
>>
>>23368733
Mysteries are solved cleverly without cheesing; you can feel why the characters do the things they do in different time loops, power growth is well explained, and knowledge is more important than raw power. Read it, you obviously haven't. And it's certainly not amateurish slop.
>>
>>23370663
Can you give even one example of how the story does these things? I'm not convinced by you repeating how it really-really is really good. I'm more inclined to think you just have shit taste
>>
Recently started Super Supportive. It's not bad, but, it's glaringly obvious that it's written by a woman. She has absolutely no clue how teenage boys behave/communicate.
>>
Any good vrmmorpg novels like Overgeared?
>>
is learning japanese worth it to read light novels and manga?

I don't care about anime and I am tired of retarded translator circles.
>>
>>23371740
Use google translate, you will get used to it eventually.
>>
>>23371802
kek, really? Shouldn't it be easier using Copilot or ChatGPT?
>>
>>23371740
It might be worth it depending on who you are. If you waste a lot of time doing nothing, then learning a language could be well worth it. You start being more efficient with your time, and spending less time on 4chan and the like - instead of all these internet time sinks, you at least gain something. You can start by doing JP for like a couple of hours for a year or so, and later, sacrifice a year or two and increase the amount of time you spend with JP, whenever you feel ready to advance (to something like 5-6h per day, whenever possible). Also don't get neurotic about it, and take it easy, if you start learning. No need to get burnt out or become depressed.
>>
>>23371832
If you can find some way to translate an entire epub using chatgpt, sure.
>>
>>23372205
How can you do that with only Google?
>>
>>23371846
I guess the only problem will be that Japanese is extremely niche and very few uses compared to English or Spanish (my native language).

I guess it's worth a try or I will do what the other anon said about using Google Translate.
>>
>>23332974
why not wuxia???????
>>
Sell me on your favorite webnovel.
>>
>>23372338
>download an epub
>convert to docx using Calibre or online conversion websites
>translate.google.com
>documents
>choose docx file and translate
>transfer back to epub after translation
voila
>>
>>23372205
isn't that just a for loop
>>
>>23338887
weebshit. Get your story off royalroad, change names to fantasy and remove the japanese shit then get it on royalroad again. ask friends to give you positive reviews. repost one chapter a day
>>
>>23332974
Here is my pitch for isekai
>MC gets reincarnated as a dildo
>in their dildo statem they are unable to move or talk
>when they are "used" they posses their user's body 24 hours
>after which their soul return to the dildo
>and they fall into a coma until dildo is used again

So, in order move up in the world, MC has to convince higher-ups to use the dildo.
First, it's a peasant girl, then a knight's wife, then noblewoman, and finally an empress.
>>
>>23372860
I like it. write it now. make the whole story 5 chapters long (10 000 words).
>>
File: 1694680075862367.jpg (81 KB, 400x600)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Just caught up with this and it's pretty good. Read the chapters I found one kemono as well, got a lot more interesting in the last couple chapters.
Second arc is kind of lacking focus and the tone changes from the first chapter. The author seems to struggle with writing the kind of character they want the MC to come across so she just basically turns into a copy of Arianne, the MC of his previous novel A Journey of Black and Red
>>
>>23372866
it's womanshit. the only good woman writer on royalroad is the author of super supportive and she's most likely an autistic tranner
>>
>>23372870
I'm pretty sure the writer is a man
>>
File: mayreco.png (415 KB, 931x627)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
here are my most liked recent reads
>>
>>23372885
eerrrrr pretty sure it's a woman. she said she was on patreon
my guess is that she is a tranner though. I don't believe a woman could get that autistic about a fictional world
>>
File: 1709670794161852.jpg (77 KB, 683x1024)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>23372911
I'm talking about the Changeling's author. I hope you are too
>I don't believe a woman could get that autistic about a fictional world
Man, read Practical Guide to Sorcery. It's written by the woman in pic and it's pretty autistic, I haven't read Super Supportive though (because it's litrpg) so I have no real comparison
>>
>>23372929
>I'm talking about the Changeling's author. I hope you are too
ah I wasn't, sorry. well, props to him if he's a man. I didn't know. to be honest I stopped reading a journey of black and red when the vampire MC fused her mind with the dwarf guy and ended up fucking the dwarf's wife on a metaphysical level. it was such a weird chapter it made me drop the story.

sorry brother, I also don't usually read female protag stories because they always end up being lesbians. I'm pretty sure a practical guide to sorcery is lgbtq+ friendly too. read Super Supportive if you can, it's fire.
>>
>>23372865
You meme, but it might not be a terrible writing exercise.
It's really a bizarre concept, but not too crazy, right? If you were put in such a position, would you not try to survive?

I guess only issue is I don't know what themes could be explored with it.
>>
>>23372944
I stopped reading a journey of black and red when the vampire MC fused her mind with the dwarf guy and ended up fucking the dwarf's wife on a metaphysical level
I don't remember that but it did get kind of silly the further it went on, especially after they left Earth
Changeling is still pretty grounded however. There's the usual cyberpunk related social commentary but it's pretty minor
>I'm pretty sure a practical guide to sorcery is lgbtq+ friendly too
I don't recall it being so. In fact I don't think there's even a mention of any kind of romance anywhere to be found in almost 200 chapters that are out, and it's a book about young adults
>>
>>23372953
I'm not memeing though. if you really wrote 5 chapters of this, beginning to end I would read it.

>If you were put in such a position, would you not try to survive?
I'd try my utmost to survive.

>I guess only issue is I don't know what themes could be explored with it.
think about it. or maybe don't and just write it and see where it goes. what kind of theme would you want to see explored if you were a reader? you could pretty much start with a reverse xianxia. the dildo guy in this case would be the old man in the ring, except he happens to be in a dildo. is the dildo guy the only magical artifact in this universe? is the MC unusually charismatic? you could create a ton of misunderstandings with him possessing people and interacting with other characters.

paths untreaded are funny. think about it. write one chapter, see if you like it, then write 4 other chapters with the fifth one being the end of your story.
>>
>>23372963
yup we are of the same mind.
>Changeling is still pretty grounded however. There's the usual cyberpunk related social commentary but it's pretty minor
yeah, I don't know. I'll try it then because you keep insisting but female protags are really not my cup of tea
>I don't recall it being so. In fact I don't think there's even a mention of any kind of romance anywhere to be found in almost 200 chapters that are out, and it's a book about young adults
pretty sure there are. I saw it in reviews and recommended lgbtq+ stories on plebbit
>>
>>23372978
there could be multiple dildoes or guys in anal plugs and shit trying to find their way to the top of the world. maybe they're all weirdoes. maybe the antagonist is an anal plug guy. go wild
>>
Is this a new thread? I remember there being some discussion on splitting things apart on sffg earlier. Is this what it lead to?
>>
>>23372654
shit, I didn't know about that, thanks man. It will be a shitty translation but at least I will be free from fan translators' bullshit.
>>
File: 1697297742262495.jpg (39 KB, 354x500)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>23371802
>>23372345
>/lit/fags are actually okay with reading machine translated garbage now
Am I sharing this board with people who truly believe, completely unironically, that prose isn't important?
>>
>>23373689
web novels don't have great prose, and the translation is usually shit. Obviously I won't use machine translation for actual books.
>>
>>23373435
This is a tumor that mods refuse to operate
>>
>>23372860
Does this dildo work with men too? Sounds kinda gross.
>>
>>23372860
There was a manga where the MC was reincarnated as a dildo, and the demon lord was reincarnated as an onahole, forgot the name it was pretty stupid
>>
>>23348652
>FL assumes her place at the top of the totem pole, no romance, no recognized feelings, no real reason to have feelings for the MC, or something shallow and stupid like Lv2 Cheat
>Harems like Farming Life in Another World where the MC is just a fucktoy for his 30 women and lives his life like a gigolo
>Author can't categorize the new concepts he adds to the story and just adds/drops them willy nilly leaving a bunch of plot devices abandoned like Death March
>Hey I'm just writing I don't have an ending planned it'll get done when I get tired of writing it 38 volumes later
>MC spends half of the first 3 volumes looking for ways to cultivate rice and onions sauce and 100% of his free time dodging pussy like a ninja.
>In fact, just get rid of thirsty women altogether. Organic sex is good, harems of nymphos are very boring. Parallel Paradise and 'What happens in the dungeon' get a pass because they are well written
>Excessive third person
>Excessive first person
>Excessive narration
>Cheat codes
>>
>>23373689
Japanese writing is trash, chinese is just about how great they are and how everyone wants them, sometimes even literal children Ive read as young as 9 acting like full adults trying to get into the MCs pants, Korea is about how everyone is surprised how MC is so amazing because of some system. 95% of prose is already trash I read it for the ideas anyway. God and devil world is lucky the base idea was so great or there is no way I would have read that far its literally the most racist misogynistic and pedophilic book Ive ever read. You know if you exclude the one where an 11 year old is trying to figure out how to get the mc to sleep with their 2 year old sister which is when I dropped that one. Asian books you basically have to skip romance or pretend theyre all adults or youre not going to get through them. But yea a mass zombie apocalypse system collapse is the only one of its kind Ive ever read so I just skipped the parts where women are talking about how amazing the mc is or how he rescues x woman who hated him before but now shes suddenly totally devoted to him, the romance side is so dumb and basically everyone not chinese is there to rape and kill chinese people for no reason other than theyre yellow monkies, but vietnamese are trash people so its ok when they go over there and the vietnamese women thank them for saving them from the people who use humans as bait to catch fish because vietnam is so backwards blah blah blah. Honestly I forget most of it its been like a decade and I was a kid back then. Not sure if theyre forced to write that way because https://www.novelupdates.com/series/tales-of-the-reincarnated-lord/ got shut down for not being nationalistic enough and its got writing thats actually worth reading. Every good book coming out of china is eventually shut down so I think theyre required to have a nationalistic hate all foreign things tint to it. Rant over.
>>
>>23372985
>pretty sure there are. I saw it in reviews and recommended lgbtq+ stories on plebbit
I don't recall any gay stuff in it. The female MC has an artifact that lets them assume a male form, some people could take that as some trans metaphor? idk, it's never treated that way in the book though so I think it's just people reading it through their own fantasies
>>
>>23374514
no, it only works with vaginas

>>23374522
I guess that's hardly surpriging, thought there isn't that much orginal hentai isekai.
I can only name four I have come across in nhentai.
>Slave Warrior Maya
>Other Zone
>one about wizard who can turn himself into monsters
>one about fat otaku
>one where MC can read others minds
>>
>>23374591
>Tales of the Reincarnated Lord
Isn't this the one where the first 100 or so chapters are the MC having a flashback of getting cucked and taken advantage of?
>>
>>23374743
No? Hes sent to a martial academy in another country for accidentally killing his little brother, makes a decent life in the other country, his father brothers uncles die and hes now heir has to go through a shattered empire during a civil war to take over his families land. He cant use the traditional system of power thoguh so the girl we was going out with refuses to marry him though. The guy she eventually marries literally offers to let him fuck her later in a round about way though which is pretty funny. It got shut down for not being chinese enough during one of their nationalistic phases
>>
>>23374749
>>23374743
wait no he reincarnates into the guy who accidentally kills his brother, he might have been cucked and taken advantage of in his other world but thats like 30% of chinese isekais, oh woe is me I was a loser in the other world guess Im going to be amazing in this one. I havent read it in years so I dont really remember and I usually skip the first part when I reread it, it definitely was 100 chapters probably a blurb in the first few chapters if it was a thing.
>>
>>23374749
>>23374755
Wasn't hard to find since I basically stopped there on moon reader
>What Lorist didn’t expect was ever since that night, Lorist wasn’t able to meet Wenna in person anymore; even the collection of the designs for the dresses was handled by Suzy most of the time. Whenever he went to the head office of the trading company, he was given the cold shoulder by Wenna who often cited her occupation with her work as an excuse. Initially, Lorist thought that Wenna was only throwing a childish tantrum, until he saw her together with a middle-aged nobleman in the garden of the trading company, happily chatting and flirting away.
>“Yes, he is,” said the girl, nodding. “I feel like I’m being lovingly caressed by him in his warm embrace the whole time. He settles everything perfectly for me, unlike you, who always want me to figure out every little thing by myself. Seriously speaking, Locke, being with you is really tiring. I’m always doing so much work while you look like you have so much time on your hands. You always solve any problem that’s thrown to you like it’s no big deal. I was so envious of you for that.”
>>
>>23374763
Yea thats the girl friend wouldnt marry him, and if you read the guy literally hands her over on a ship later. It was kind of needed since he wouldnt be sticking around anyway. Its not cucking they broke up and its not a flashback its happening as the story goes on. Have you never broken up with someone before? She needed to marry someone with power to prevent her brother from getting assassinated and her land stolen he couldnt become gold rank even if he was as strong as a gold rank so it didnt matter since other people would think he was weak and it wouldnt be a deterrent. Shes saying that stuff to get him to leave
>>
>>23374790
Don't ask me, man. This was 2 years ago, and all I remember is him getting cucked.
>>
>>23373689
I learned English because I like (and work) doing programming. Reading scifi/fantasy novels was a nice plus.

Why should I learn Japanese? To read manga and play videogames?

No thanks, man.
>>
>>23374591
I honestly haven't seen any Chinese web novels with pedophilia, and the only one I know that was banned is RI. Jap writing is fine, sort of mundane sometimes, but very cozy. Korean novels are repetitive as shit, all of them are dungeon and academy novels, but still somehow very consumable.
>>
>>23374547
>Excessive third person
>Excessive first person
I prefer it if the author sticks to one perspective, which is usually the third.
>>
>>23375713
>>23374547
I think we can all agree 2nd person is the worse but 1st person with occasional 3rd person of other people or entirely 3rd person are pretty much the best way to handle things, anything else like the MC occasionally being thrown into 3rd person or normal 3rd person being thrown into 1st is just odd. Especially if they use 1st person with different people and the only way you can tell is from the start of the chapter or by someone saying their name its disorientating coming back to it and having to backtrack or guess
>>
>>23374679
I get mad yaoi vibes from practical guide to sorcery. It's not explicitly gay, but the hot brooding teacher, the rich well meaning classmate, who finds the main character just so interesting they just cant stay away. I mean nothing happens, but it feels like something should be happening, I just feel like there is sexual tension or something. practical guide to sorcery is pretty good though, and there is no romance, its all undertones.
>>
>>23374679
>some people could take that as some trans metaphor? idk, it's never treated that way in the book though
she's not trans but her experiencing dysphoria after switching is a pretty common beat in the story
>>
File: kino.png (63 KB, 702x518)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
Just finished reading volume 5 of RI. Is it worth continuing? Knowing it gets cancelled halfway through the next one makes this seem like a really appropriate place to stop.
>>
>>23375986
Huh, I don't recall getting that kind of a vibe from it
>>23375990
I think she's freaking out for a good reason since she doesn't know how the thing works, or if it's influencing her mind and therefore her decisions or if the thing could even be trying to take over her body
>>
https://archiveofourown.org/works/55838134/chapters/141774466?view_adult=true
Took a crack at writing a web-novel.
>>
File: 1707291668751883.png (12 KB, 326x383)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>23376115
>>
>>23375713
So narration with first person interaction? Sorry I have the 'tism, and I like writing but I'm not entirely sure which mode I should be sticking to.

I did a story entirely in first person with first person narration perspective and it was awful. It didn't flow at all.
>>
>>23376284
If you have to ask then stick to third person. You'll fuck it up if you try anything else.
>>
>>23375713
>>23376284
what's wrong with 100% first person
>>
>>23376755
It gets repetitive if you arent experienced enough to make it flow, its so much easier to just name and describe things from an outside perspective. First person also falls into the trap of 5 paragraphs of thoughs to excuse a single action and long rants of exposition instead of actions and conversation third person has. Basically third person naturally leans towards show dont tell and first leans towards tell dont show since you can do thoughts easier in first person so third has a crutch which is good. I just read some the first Ciaphas Cain book and it was awful falling into every pitfall of first person its like 90% thoughts explaining what theyre doing. I hope the author gets better because I keep hearing its a great book but if you want to see why 1st person sucks for bad writers just download the pdf of that and read it. It reads like a 5th graders first book.
Second some third person is like sitting down after standing for an hour, its a nice break from a different perspective about similar things that you know have already happened but from the people around. Its pretty nice.
>>
>>23376821
Exactly. I mostly write for myself. I can sit here for hours and tell myself a story just by writing and it feels better than reading someone else's story that they had written. I'm used to reading trashy isekai web novels so I'll draw some inspiration from those and tell the story that I want to hear instead. I have the most trouble with perspective. I don't like the idea of an all-knowing narrator but I also feel like dredging the commons to scavenge for information is slow and inefficient, and that if anyone were to actually read my stories they would hate it.
>>
>>23366871
At least one loli in the harem, and an MC that doesn't pussy out of romancing her because she's a loli. I guess it's fine if she has to be a 1000 year old vampire for the TOS's sake, but give her retrograde amnesia or something so she doesn't act like a lolibaba.
>>
>>23376050
It's fine, the ending is kind of poetic in a way, like Fate/Heaven's will won
>>
>>23376115
kek, top tier shitpost
>>
File: 1703266733062005.jpg (374 KB, 1600x898)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>
>>
>>23376284
Just third person, nothing else.
>>
>Renegade Immortal
>Martial World
*Mocks everyone else*
There is nothing better than these two masterpieces
>>
>>23378414
Reverend Insanity
>>
I cannot stand the wheel of time prose, It's so extra for no reason.
I much prefer the "simple" yet effective prose that light novels have.
>>
>>23379366
Like Min-Maxing TRPG?
>>
>>23379621
No, like Mushoku Tensei. I hate that Video game shit people write.
With stat screens.
>>
>>23376115
top kek. that's actually good
>>
File: 1710537689011615.png (2.93 MB, 2000x1000)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB PNG
Maybe a retarded q, but is iyashikei even a thing in the LN side of things? You lose a lot without visuals and it probably makes the whole "SoL" vs Iyashikei debate even more perplexing, but low stake plots isn't unheard of.
>>
>>23379846
He doesn't have a stat screen though, he just has a character development debug mode the author forgot about where he can turn experience points into stats and traits.
The series is full of prose and mythology and has exceptional character design.
>>
>>23380081
Slime 300 has 24 LN volumes, don't ask how they managed to get that much content out of the premise.
>>
>>23379846
Mushoku Tensei is dogshit, litrpgs are infinitely better.
>>
>>23380554
I'm very conflicted on which side to take.
The pedophile incest harem fantasy story.
Or the genre for people who care too much about seeing number go up.
>>
>>23379366
This, I read to unwind after a hard day's work. Pulp or webnovels are perfect for me. Though you could say that pulp is a little extra too.
>>
New thread
>>23380957
>>23380957
>>23380957
>>23380957

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.