[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6271.jpg (350 KB, 975x1456)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
what to read before reading proust?
>>
nothing, proust stands on his own
>>
>>23367599
Ruskin. He dedicated his 20s to reading and translating him.
>>
>>23367599
Ruskin, Flaubert, Tolstoy, Walter Pater, and a little Emerson (he liked him)
>>
>>23367599
You have to read/listen to Parsifal to understand what he's trying to do. All literary modernists were trying to create Wagner in literature.

>I shall present the discovery of Time regained in the sensations induced by the spoon, the tea, etc., as an illumination à la Parsifal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPPk5Guqo2g
>>
>>23367599
Mein Kampf
Luther's treatise on Jews
Culture of Critique

Then just don't read Proust
>>
Read Proust first. You don't need any prerequisites.

Afterwards:
Mémoires d'outre-tombe by Chateaubriand
Bergson's writings on memory
>>
I suppose it couldn't hurt to read up on some French history beforehand (specifically the Dreyfus Affair), but Proust is really his own thing. Unlike philosophy or certain literary traditions you don't need to "start with the Greeks" or anything like that, just start reading Proust and pick up the threads from there
>>
>>23367599
If you want to read Proust, just read Proust. Literature isn't like a video game where you need to grind low-level authors first.
>>
>>23367599
Racine's plays and Arabian Nights would be good, he refers to them constantly throughout
>>
>>23367973
I would add a few Anatol France novels into the mix, as well as Stendhal's Charterhouse of Parna
>>
>>23367973
Also Hardy
>>
>>23367599
The Talmud.
>>
He's the only gay jew I respect.
>>
>>23367599
This >>23367973 seems like a good list, Proust also admired George Eliot.
>>
>>23369190
The other “female George” (George Sands) also plays a major role in the overture to Swann’s way.
>>
>>23368377
>>23367973
Impressive. Actually helpful and honest answers here.
>>23368047
This guy truly gets it though.
>>23368250
Sort of correct, but you miss out on a lot by just diving right in. That said, giving the Recherche a blind read, going back to read some of the above, and then re-reading the Recherche is probably the best strategy.
>>
>>23369227
Kek. The character Bergotte is based on Anatol France, anon. Also, CSK Moncrieff, Proust's best English translator, translated Charterhouse as a kind of warm-up for ROTP, as being the one novel prior (he felt) with characters as full as Proust's. Just defending my supposed want of honesty here.
>>
>>23367599
A French language textbook
>>23368206
>Bergson's writings on memory
I do think reading Bergson first would enhance the experience quite a lot
>>
>>23367599
Goncourt journals
>>
If you listen to anons advising you to read x author before Proust because he references it, you'd end up reading the whole French canon. You'll miss on some subtleties if you haven't read Racine, Balzac or Sévigné sure, but as some anons said, Proust stands on its own. His book is self-referential and self-explanatory. If you really wanted to dig on Proust's greatest literary inspirations, Saint-Simon would be a requisite, and his main work isn't even fully translated in English. Don't bother and strat Swann's Way, you'll know in under fifty pages if you catch the drift or if you're getting filtered.
>>
>>23367949
this, he wrote in a letter to his friend how he wanted to use sections of a cathedral as chapter titles but came to believe that he would be laughed at by the literary community for being too try hard. he was inspired by ruskin's descriptions of cathedrals in the stones of venice and decided to structure his novel in the form of a cathedral. he nevertheless decided to leave that covered.
>>
>>23367599
Gérard de Nerval's Sylvie should be the first or last thing you read before Proust.
>For Marcel Proust, Nerval was one of the greatest writers of the nineteenth century. Proust especially admired Sylvie's exploration of time lost and regained, which would become one of Proust's deepest interests and the dominant theme of his magnum opus In Search of Lost Time. Later, André Breton named Nerval a precursor of Surrealist art, which drew on Nerval's forays into the significance of dreams. For his part, Antonin Artaud compared Nerval's visionary poetry to the work of Hölderlin, Nietzsche and Van Gogh.
>>
On Reading by Proust
>>
>>23367949
>>23367599

If you're interested in what he liked, I would definitely add Racine, Anatole France and Madame de Sévigné
>>
>>23369196
Not a major role at all. He just mentions his grandma made him read some of her books when she was young.
>>
bump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.