[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1590810634713.jpg (1.01 MB, 1920x1080)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Talking about language and not the general edition

>τὸ πρότερον νῆμα·
>>23513389

>Μέγα τὸ Ἑλληνιστί/Ῥωμαϊστί·
https://mega dot nz/folder/FHdXFZ4A#mWgaKv4SeG-2Rx7iMZ6EKw

>Mέγα τὸ ANE
https://mega dot nz/folder/YfsmFRxA#pz58Q6aTDkwn9Ot6G68NRg

>Work in progress FAQ
https://rentry dot co/n8nrko

This general is for anyone studying any classical language, including but not limited to Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Chinese, Norse

IF YOU SEE ANYONE TALKING OFF-TOPIC, REPORT AND IGNORE THEM. DO NOT RESPOND, EVEN IF YOU HAVE A RESPONSE YOU THINK IS CLEVER. REPORT AND IGNORE OFF-TOPIC RESPONSES AS WELL.
>>
>Dicis formonsam, dicis te, Bassa, puellam:
>istud quae non est dicere, Bassa, solet.
Why is Martial using "te" instead of "se" in the first line, shouldn't that be a reflexive pronoun? It would scan just the same as well.
>>
>>23536673
This is not a duplicate thread. This is a thread for discussion of all classical languages, the other thread is trolls bickering only about greek and latin.
>>
>>23536735
Jesus, stop trying to derail /clg/
>>
>>23536609
Because he is addressing Bassa directly. Dicis is a second person singular, te is a second person pronoun in the accusative. It agrees with formosam and puellam.
>You call (yourself) beautiful; you call yourself, Bassa, a maiden:
>She who isn't (beautiful), Bassa, tends to say this.
>>
>>23536600
There's something these large Buddhist statues evoke in my heart that no painting can. I still remember going to visit the giant Kannon in Tokyo
>>
>>23536738
You shouldn't use his name lightly my hispanic friend
>>
It's so bloody difficult. I just found a translation of the thing I'm trying to translate. The translator did it as a casual side project when he was 25. This was in the 1980s. I can't even get past the first page.
>>
>>23536746
Buddhist sculpture has to be the best in the world, to me at least. Have a statue of Prajñāpāramitā of Java, one of the most famous works from Indonesia.
>>
>>23536757
Few things more frustrating than comparing your translation to somebody else's only to realize that they weren't really going for accuracy. What are you translating?
>>
>>23536742
Oh, duh. Thank you anon, not sure why that tripped me up.
>>
>>23536746
How do you feel about the Bamyan Buddhas?
I recently finished René Grousset's Empire des Steppes, and their destruction now fills me with despair. What testaments remain of the westerly spread of Buddhism, that same route which eventually found Central Asia and China?
>>23536772
Np, brainfarts like these are all too common.
>>
>>23536763
Some 17th century neo-scholastic philosophy that should be easy. I just don't understand what my own teachers did that I can't do. It was certainly never offered to me in class, not by those teachers themselves. What did they do in the 60s and 70s that made them gods of Latin and Greek, which they can't fucking pass on to us while teaching us?
>>
>>23536782
>How do you feel about the Bamyan Buddhas?
Adore them, I can't imagine how it would feel to be an ancient trader seeing them in their full splendour on the way through Bactria. They are undoubtedly one of the crowning achievements of the Gandharan Art, melding the wonderful techniques of Classical Greek sculptural with the clarity/prajñāpāramitā of Buddhism. While I admire Greek sculpture, I can't help but feel that it can never really reach the same level as Buddhist/Indian sculpture because of its fixation on dogma taking the name of rationality. By that, I mean to say that its propensity for realism can often turn into a meaningless self-acclamation, souring the work as a whole. Meanwhile Buddhism has always been a religion intended for the liberation of the willing, regardless of class, which is why those giant Buddhas always fill my mind with a kind of all-encompassing, almost terrifying aura of benevolence when I see them. The symbolic mastery of mudras and serene expression is the deciding part for me, which puts it ahead of any other kind of sculpture for me.
Sorry for the rambling, I just really like the Bamiyan Buddhas and Buddhist art in general.
>their destruction now fills me with despair
I understand what you mean, but for some reason I can't bring myself to get angry at the Muslims for destroying them. I feel despair yes, but also a kind of acceptance. Hard to describe.
>What testaments remain of the westerly spread of Buddhism, that same route which eventually found Central Asia and China?
More than you'd expect but less than you'd like. I know Tajikistan has the Buddhist Panjikent murals of ancient Sogdia, and Xinjiang is filled with astounding rock-cut cave temples which I'd really like to see one day. Besides that there's sadly little records, despite a few extremely old palm-leaf manuscripts having been found on the route. The Turks were fairly respectful to the ancient art, or at least left it alone when they became Muslim
>>
>>23536826
Have you ever read Coomaraswamy on Buddhist art?
>>
>>23536830
Yes, actually. My opinions existed before reading him, but it astounds me how close they ended up being with his semi-traditionalist ideas
>>
>>23536834
Adding on to this, I think some Indian writers and painters like Sri Aurobindo and Abanindranath Tagore also helped me fully understand the value of Buddhism (and on the way Hinduism as well) through clarifying the aspect of total compassion underlying it
>>
What is a great, inexpensive book to learn Ancient Greek. I have C.A.E's An Introduction to Ancient Greek: A Literary Approach, but looking at it over a couple of days, it's needlessly confusing and hard to comprehend. Thanks bros.
>>
>>23536856
Pirating
>>
>>23536856
Are you looking for an approachable textbook? I guess From Alpha to Omega fits the bill, especially compared to Mastronarde, but I don't know how expensive it is.
>>
>tfw finally on the last chapter of Familia Romana
feels good man
>tfw still gotta read two smaller books before approaching Roma Aeterna
feels bad man
>>
>>23536858
I like to have the physical text, I'm a bit of a collector, but thanks for the help.
>>23536865
Those are expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. I'll keep looking! Thanks very much.
>>
Without looking it up, how would you translate this from the Vulgate?
>Produxitque Dominus Deus de humo omne lignum pulchrum visu, et ad vescendum suave lignum etiam vitae in medio paradisi, lignumque scientiae boni et mali.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how the two trees (of life / of good & evil) are separated meaningfully from those which are ad vescendum suave? Is that etiam doing all the work? Shouldn't the separation between mundane trees and the no-no trees be more abrupt?
>>
File: 1708131718052836.gif (449 KB, 316x128)
449 KB
449 KB GIF
Abydos and the other major southern Egyptian urban sites are roughly the same distance from the Nile delta and the major northern urban sites as Rome is from Milan, 500-700 miles by foot along the Nile. It must have been interesting when Egypt began to organize in the Predynastic period and you could realistically march an army north or south within a week or so.
>>
>>23536856
You will never be good. Give up
>>
>>23537001
Off topic
>>
>>23536981
Let me try.
>And from the soil did the Lord God bring forth every tree, fair to behold; and also a sweet tree of life to feed of, in the midst of paradise; and a tree of knowledge of good and evil.
Not actually sure if suave is an adverb modifying vescendum or an adjective modifying lignum, but I went with the latter because it makes more sense to me. Otherwise, I guess it would be "to feed of pleasantly".

>Is that etiam doing all the work? Shouldn't the separation between mundane trees and the no-no trees be more abrupt?
Ignore my translation above, I guess a better way to look at it would be:
>and in order to feed, a sweet tree of life also, in the midst of paradise;
>>
>>23536819
>blaming the teachers
Protip: they didn't spend hours on 4chan every day
Instead of replying read more
>>
>>23536909
Mastronarde is $14 on abebooks
If you are cheap/poor either pirate or buy used
>>
>>23536757
Why are you impressed by that?
>>
File: 1679591272436851.gif (1.64 MB, 221x244)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB GIF
>tfw finishing Athenaze today
Almost ready for the big-boy books
>>
>>23537328
What are your plans?
>>
>>23537330
I browsed a bunch of public access Loebs and Xenophon, Marcus Aurelius, and Josephus seem like good reads for my reading level. It's all stuff I'd read or have read already, so it's great I get to practice my Greek with them
>>
>>23536600
>non-troll thread
>Budda image
Nice try, troll. Get lost. Don't you have anything better to do than ruin our discussion of Greek and Latin?
>>
>>23537328
I want to learn Greek, but I feel like I should start with Homeric because I really don't want to read Xenophon after completing a course.
>>
I'm looking up info about reader New Testaments and damn
Having all words that appear less than 30 times glossed must be a blessing
Is there a reason why this isn't more common for Latin/Greek texts?
>>
bruh why the FUCK are those loeb nigga's lil' green and red books so GOD DAMN expensive like SHIEEEET put 'em on a paperback or sumfin'
>inb4 you're supposed only get the red ones dumb nigga
>>
Newfag here, are most of you guys self taught or some of you are taking classics in university?
Do you guys have recommend beginners books for self teaching as a copypasta image or some list?
>inb4 latin for dummies
what would you do for pronunciation without a living person teaching you?
same goes for listening actually
>>
you got the previous thread link wrong
>>
File: 1707313363113263.png (106 KB, 688x470)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>23537532
This is the image you want
Download the Lingua Latina per se illustrata files from the MEGA
If you know a language with cases then you could just start reading Familia Romana, Colloquia Personarum and Fabellae Latinae but if you don't know what a case is, you could read A Companion to Familia Romana which will explain everything to you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Hm6HpnN5k&list=PLRno2vqB4Zu_eoAzAqDMpiGbq7zXxF82C
This is a recording of the books which you can listen to
There used to be an older version with only the man's voice but I don't know where it went
Basically the key is to read as much as possible and really focus on trying to read each sentence from left to right rather than darting about
You can use the exercitia to check your understanding
>>
I'm going to single handedly bring back lunate sigma
>>
>>23537385
yeah do it. Pharr is really good.
>>
>>23537894
I'm confused about how to use Pharr's Homeric Greek. What order do I read it in?
>>
>>23537339
Check out Steadman's heavily glossed Anabasis of Xenophon. The first book or first few books he has up online for free as pdfs.
>>
File: 1714756847725712.png (213 KB, 396x395)
213 KB
213 KB PNG
>>23537328
Holy fuck that final chapter was rough, I'm not reading Aristophanes again for a long time

>>23538002
Looks good, thanks
>>
>>23537532
only reason you'd need a prof is if you are too retarded to learn the exact same thing from the textbook
>>
>>23537001
That's probably one of the reasons the Old Kingdom lasted so incredibly long, it really isn't hard to create a strong imperial administration after the initial part is done. Now I'm wondering if we ever had any Ancient Egyptian learners here
>>
>>23538160
Hopefully not, we don't need to get more off topic
>>
>>23537532
I'm in college. I took every possible Latin class and Hebrew class that my school offered, and am now meeting with the two different professors outside of classes to continue studying. Greek is offered only every couple of years, but I should be able to get it by the time that I'm done. I could maybe learn a fair amount through books, but there's something to be said for being able to go to a professor and ask a question about linguistics or a translation issue that I'm having, plus it helps to keep me dedicated when I have a scheduled meeting with someone else and have to have my translations done. And when I had actual classes, it helped keep me honest knowing that I'd be tested on my translations and wouldn't be able to look them up.
>>
>>23538160
I'd like to check it out at some point, but it's probably #3 on my list behind Attic Greek, Babylonian Cuneiform, and then Hieroglyphics
>>
>>23538160
We had a few a little while ago, I remember. I also remember an Akkadian learner.
>>
>>23536600

what exercises/resources are there to learn latin syntax? i can recognize the participles, subjunctives, and vocabulary but oratio obliqua is filtering me whenever i try reading. are there any authors/works that use more direct speech meanwhile? going to uni soon and hoping to place into latin 3 but id actually like to know how to read when i get there
>>
>>23538160
I don't see the point of studying Ancient Egyptian
You're never going to read it fluently so why bother?
>>
Should I read the New Testament or one of Xenophon's works as my first step outside of the text books?
>>
>>23539302
Not that anon, but for me it's to get as close to the mentality and actual thought of these people as possible. Every line I read of translated Egyptian from the Middle Kingdom feels like an adventure to me.
>>
>>23539402
Is your focus Biblical or Attic?
If neither, Xenophon
>>
>>23539180
idk if there's a recipe other than reading more, simpler authors for sure if oratio obliqua is giving you trouble, but even your easy Nepos or Caesar is going to have it
>>
>>23539402
Read John (easiest Gospel and also the best) than Education of Cyrus
>>
>>23536760
>>
Iam timor ille Phrygum, decus et tutela Pelasgi
nominis, Aeacides, caput insuperabile bello,
arserat: armarat deus idem idemque cremarat;
iam cinis est, et de tam magno restat Achille
nescio quid parvum, quod non bene conpleat urnam,
at vivit totum quae gloria conpleat orbem.
haec illi mensura viro respondet, et hac est
par sibi Pelides nec inania Tartara sentit.
>>
>>23537223
Thanks bro, will pick that up.
>>23537046
Eat cock, lmfao.
>>
>>23539302
if you're learning a classical language from a mostly historical perspective there is little need to read fluently. Being able to translate is enough

Only if you want to seriously read literature, philosophy, etc do you need to be a fluent reader
>>
>>23540861
Yeah you're right, I was being unfairly dismissive for no good reason
>>23539445
What are the most interesting things you've read so far?
Are there any texts which you use as milestones to track your progress?
Great Hymn to the Aten?
>>
>love learning Latin
>have fallen out of love with Roman history a bit
anyone have any good Latin texts to get me back into the topic?
>>
>>23541431
I hate Roman history because everyone has the same five or six names.
>>
>>23541431
What aren't you liking? I can get getting sick of Livy or other chronicles and Annals so maybe try more specific treatments like Sallust or Appian. There's also plenty outside of historical works like letters, poems, speeches and the like. You could even go into Medieval Latin if you care, but honestly I always prefer Classical and Late Antique Latin to it.
>>
Remember that before 1960 or so you weren’t even allowed to study languages like Sanskrit, Old Norse, Arabic etc. before you had a firm grounding (4+ yrs) in Latin and Greek.
>>
File: Vulgata.jpg (110 KB, 1000x719)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
How is your study going /clg/?
>>
>>23541431
Ammianus Marcellinus, Sallust
>>
>>23542086
Do interlinear translations actually help with learning Latin? I've wanted to read the bible for sometime, and I'm at the point where I would only struggle with the vocabulary.
>>
>>23541929
Who cares nigga
Let people learn what they want
>>
>>23542240
dis nigga be spittin fax tho
>>
>>23542245
De facto, de facto. Deo.
>>
File: aSLFW8f[1].jpg (225 KB, 1080x579)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Is the only way to get from intermediate level to reading fluently for pleasure to have a 'practice author'?

Who is yours?
>>
>>23538160
I study Coptic. It's ancient Egyptian, but I assume you are referring to Middle Egyptian, as there is no language called Ancient Egyptian. I would know hieroglyphs if it weren't for my friend derailing me, but that's a long story.
>>
>>23541929
That's just how the education system was organised back then
There is no reason to study Latin or Ancient Greek if you want to learn Old Norse
I'd say that if you want to know both Latin and Old Norse it's probably better to start with Latin because the resources for Old Norse are pretty lousy but I don't think there's anything special about Latin which makes you better at learning other languages
>>
>>23540228
The only thing that's eating cock is your fat ass.
>>
>>23542212
For me personally, it's faster and better than consulting a dictionary. Still, I only use the translation when I really need it to(if I can't guess the meaning from the context).
>>
>>23537514
what do you mean
>inb4 you're supposed only get the red ones dumb nigga

i just stole them from my university library because they hadnt been checked out in like 20 years. but i just read through all the ones i have. i need a solution to this as well. i wonder if its worth putting it on an E-reader. the delphi classics bilinguals work pretty good on an E-reader, i know that
>>
>>23538002
>>23537330
what did you guys read after xenophon's anabasis? i read athenaze and the anabasis, and just finished xenophon's symposium and apology because they were in the same loeb volume. whats something good at my level? is thucydides too difficult to jump into right now, and if so, whats another good historical thing to read? ive already read herodotus' histories in english and dont really wanna read it again. maybe something shorter and within my reading level, and it doesn't strictly need to be a history
>>
>>23542850
Bro you're probably in the top 1% of people browsing this general, how about you give me some fuckin advice
>>
>>23542086
Is that a female finger? Will you marry me?
>>
>>23542694
Don't take out your shitty life on me. Work to improve yourself instead of taking out your life's failures on random people.

Go kick boulder's barefoot faggot.
>>
>>23537532
self taught latin and early-intermediate greek (just finished anabasis). Having studied other modern languages before jumping in and understanding linguistic terminology was a huge boon for self-study. pronunciation is relatively easy for both greek and latin. For latin, i recommend just reading the latin phonology and orthography page, clicking hyperlinks for things you don't understand, until it makes sense and you have the pronunciation and spelling figured out, then just jump into LLPSI, basic grammar and vocab acquisition. wikipedia and wiktionary are your best friends for condensed, basic, complete info about practically any language.
>>
I have a question about Caesar 6.29.5:
>monet, ut ignes in castris fieri prohibeat, ne qua eius adventus procul significatio fiat: sese confestim subsequi dicit.
What purpose does "qua" serve here?
It can't agree with significatio, since qua is either the ablative of quae, or a frozen adverb which doesn't make sense to me here.
I consulted the notes on Perseus and they just say "qua: why not quae?" which isn't helpful.
>>
>>23542860
Stop replying to the mexcrement, he's the local clown and there's an unspoken agreement to just ignore his posts.
>>
>>23539180
oratio obliqua was one of the last things i really understood, and it took me through roma aeterna and half of de bello gallico to consistently comprehend it without working it out in my head.
>>23542852
lol i highly doubt it. the threads have just been shit lately due to one guy. I've heard people say they have jumped straight into the iliad or the new testament after xenophon, but I think it would be better to strengthen my attic before i move on to other dialects
>>
>>23542850
I did read some Thucydides(not all, two books) as well as began my process of reading Homer after Anabasis. I thought I'd just go straight for the king of high brow Attic prose(I guess) as a way to cement my knowledge. It wasn't too fun, but at least as far as range of lexicon it wasn't too bad, I maybe have more trouble in that regard with Plutarch.
>>
>>23542876
probably best interpreted as "in some way", indicating the imprecise or unsure way by which eius adventus procul significatio fiat, since it's not 100% guaranteed the ignes will signal his coming but it's a good chance
>>
>>23542905
Saw this on Wiktionary, what do you think? First time I hear about this.
>When used as an indefinite word (pronoun or adjective), the feminine nominative singular and neuter nominative/accusative plural is usually qua (with short ă) instead of quae. Indefinite quă is generally only found directly after sī, nisi, num, or nē and may be considered to be either enclitic to the preceding word or (in Priscian's view) forming a compound with it; accordingly, sīqua, numqua, and nēqua are sometimes written together (as also are the masculines sīquis, numquis, and nēquis).
>>
>>23542876
im no expert but it seems to me that qua is more like "by which", as in the fires.

As in, he cautioned that there may not be fires in the forts, lest by which there be a sign of their arrival from afar. and he said he would compy immediately.

Not sure how accurate that translation is
>>
>>23542923
>Not sure how accurate that translation is
Assuming >>23542916 is correct, it would be something like
>He advises him to forbid fires in the encampment, lest any indication of their approach be made from afar: he says that he will follow immediately after.
>>
>>23542916
yeah something like that, in the sense of expressing indefiniteness, in this case, of the means by which the following action will take place, reminds me of indefinite Greek πῃ
I'm thinking about the same quā in "sī quā Fāta sinant, iam tum tenditque fovetque"(Virgil)
>>
>>23542947
I see. Learned something new today.
>>
>>23542879
Thanks brother, what a retard
>>
>>23542086
Why does the vulgate uses lignum instead of arbor?
>>
I feel like Old Norse compresses a lot of meanings into the same word especially through prepositions, for example phrasal verbs
Also you have cases where words which were distinct words in say, Gothic, have over time come together because of phonetic changes
Do you ever feel this way about Latin or Ancient Greek?
>>
>>23542850
Xenophon Education of Cyrus is so underrated. I’ve been shilling it for like a year now in this general. Highly recommended, and it’ll be really easy if you’ve read the Anabasis.
Callirhoe is also great, just as easy as Xenophon. It’s probably my fav ancient Greek book. First romance novel ever written.
NT isn’t really a different dialect btw. There are like half a dozen changes from Attic. Occasionally the syntax is kind of GSL but you’ll get used to it.
In truth you can just read whatever you want at this point. Go onto Plato if you want, or Demosthenes, or Euripides, or Saint Basil. Up to you.
I also wouldn’t worry about Homer being non Attic since all Attic poetry is very Homer influenced. You won’t really be hurting your Attic.
>>
>>23537514
>>23542835
How poor are you? Most Loebs are around $10 used. You can get them for less in bulk.
>b-but $10 for 1 book
You aren't reading an entire Loeb anytime soon.
>>
>>23542876
>after si, nisi, num and ne
>all the alis go away
Remember this stupid mnemonic and you will never have trouble with that again
>>
>>23542987
pars prō totō
>>
>>23543249
but why
does Hebrew do the same here?
>>
>>23543258
>lignum generally means wood and it can also poetically mean tree as found in Vergil and Horace
apparently "עֵ֥ץ" can also mean either wood or tree
>>
>>23536760
proportions are all off, certainly not the best in the world
>>
>>23543299
the same is true of cc 木
>>
File: 1703544256645414.jpg (622 KB, 914x917)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>tfw entering final year of classics degree
>unsure if I want to evenly split lit, phil, and hist, or ditch history and max out phil

I like history, but it just seems to be getting more and more woke every year. You never get set any interesting questions, it's all questions which direct you towards criticising Rome as an imperial power, or lamenting women's station in society.
>>
>>23542987
>Why does the vulgate uses lignum instead of arbor?
We do it in English too whenever we refer to a forest as "the woods".
>>
γρεεκχάδς i kneel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0
>>
>>23544210
Καλει ημας Ελληνοθεους
>Captcha ALETHEIA
>>
>>23542569
Interesting, thanks for clarifying. From what I understand Coptic is the language descended from Egyptian (or Middle Egyptian, since it seems that is the right term) spoken around the time of the Arab invasion yes? Out of curiosity, in what ways is it different from Middle Egyptian
>>
>ἐνταῦθα λέγεται Ἀπόλλων ἐκδεῖραι Μαρσύαν νικήσας ἐρίζοντά οἱ περὶ σοφίας, καὶ τὸ δέρμα κρεμάσαι ἐν τῷ ἄντρῳ ὅθεν αἱ πηγαί
>beat a guy in a contest so you flay him alive
Why is Apollo such a dick
>>
>>23545900
I actually saw some statues of that scene once, Apollo really is a spiteful god
>>
>>23545900
Apollo is punishing the mortal Marsyas' hubris. Xenophon never wastes words, so some classicists suggest that this is a parallel for Persian hubris
>>
>>23544122
Fuck off chino
>>
I'm confused by this use of "cum" in Ars Grammatica
>Nomen quid est?
>Pars orationis cum casu corpus aut rem proprie communiterue significans.
How is that "cum casu" in the response functioning? I don't think it's a cum clause, so it seems to be something like
>"(The nominative is) the part of speech with case signifying body or thing, personal or communal."
But that doesn't seem right, I've never seen "cum" indicating an ablative of means before.
>>
>>23546280
I believe cum casu just means "with case" as a way to define nouns by distinguishing them from other partes orationis that don't inflect for case (verbs, adverbs, prepositions, etc). I recall that Donatus didn't really distinguish between nouns and adjectives; correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>23546280
it's just the preposition that takes its object in the ablative
>>
>>23543334
It looks fine to me, and this is also a ridiculous line of reasoning. So the David of Michelangelo is rubbish because it has intentionally imperfect proportions? Buddhist sculpture tries to portray an ideal, not reality, which is what I was trying to explain
>>
>>23540146
Nice pic, I've seen a bit of Mongolian statuary before but this is great. Feels particularly close to the Indian style with the perfect hourglass body
>>
>finally finished Familia Romana
I thought it would never end, but I have to say; I'm proud. I can feel myself getting better, reading is a lot of fun at this point.
>>
>>23547184
What's the plan now?
>>
>>23547323
Either Sermones Romani, Amphitryo, or De Bello Gallico. Then on to Roma Aeterna. I have to have an understanding of "intermediate latin" by the winter otherwise I won't graduate college in time, so I'm not able to be too leisurely with my readings.
>>
Anyone looked into Old Irish?
>>
File: IMG_4567.jpg (85 KB, 804x802)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
Guys, I somehow havent memorised very many words that dont have a similar word in english
>>
outside of Athenaze, are there any Greek books that just give you a ton of easy as fuck reading practice?

I need something that I can read a little bit every day to keep my Greek ticking over when I'm not reading mentally tiring real texts
>>
>>23547975
The Bible is probably the easiest text out there
>>
>>23547975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vwb1wVzPec
I don't study Ancient Greek but Luke has a video on this
>>
>>23548009
>dude just use readers forever lmao
Really not a fan of this sort of advice, you should be going on to original texts as soon as possible. It's likely the entire reason you're learning Greek/Latin anyway
>>
>>23548019
well, as per my original question >>23547975 I do read real Ancient Greek texts, but they are very labourious and slow for me because my Greek isn't at a good enough level to read them for pleasure, hence why I'm looking for easy reading practice so I can build up to reading real texts at a comfortable speed.
>>
>>23548019
I'm doing it with my language but only because I have no alternative
I'd be very happy if there were 1000 pages of reader text available for my language and I'd read it all
>>
>>23548019
>dude just use readers forever lmao
This is /clg/ canon
Reading original texts is anathema to 90% of posters here
>>
>>23547975
NT, Septuagint, Apollodorus' Bibliothiki
I only read two readers: First Greek Reader and Greek War of Independence. And that was after I'd been reading the NT and Xenophon for a while. Ignore people who tell you to use readers forever.
>>
>>23548237
Finish text book - > Never advance past year 1 readers since to do so you might have to read something you comprehend less than 99% of - > Debate about textbooks and learning methods forever - > Respond to bait
Such is the clg way.
>>
Good morning everyone! Time for another terrible day of being shit at Latin and Greek!
>>
>>23548600
People are way too obsessed with minmaxing language learning nowadays. It doesn't help that youtubers like that idiot Luke Ranieri upload a video every other week talking about some new best method for learning languages and if you learn any other way you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>23547975
Pick brief texts like Plato's Ion dialogue. It's like a 30 minute read even in translation. Start small and build confidence. As ancient Rhetor once said, idiots try to learn the craft of pottery by building an entire vase at once instead of starting on the handle.
>>
>reading Philostratus
>Arabs are talking to birds in the first five minutes

lmao this is a trip I love Greek schizo ramblings
>>
If you charge money for Latin/Greek audiobooks you're scum btw.
>b-b-but xyz
No, fuck off. Plenty of poor people upload audio for free, myself included, purely out of love for the languages.
>>
>>23546343
I see, thanks.
>>
>>23547975
try Morice's stories in Attic on the side, I found their difficulty sort of inbetween late Athenaze and Xenophon, with increasing difficulty the more you progress; they are also varied so you should get exposure to a good variety of new words from different contexts
>>
>>23549426
I think having access to audiobooks, especially when it's pronounced well, is very valuable and I'd be willingly to pay for it
>>
I don't know what an audiobook entails because I've NEVER used one
I pronounce Greek and Latin based on my arbitrary idea of what they might have sounded like
>>
>>23549426
>myself included
Show them
>>
>>23543033
cool thanks. ill go for callirhoe for now
>>
天父上主皇上帝六日造成天地山海人物第七日
完工上古之時普天下皆知感謝
https://ctext.org/wiki.pl?if=en&res=997810
>>
>>23550620
Fuck off chino
>>
>>23550661
No fuck you I want him here
>>
>>23550620
This again?
>>
>>23550521
based
>>
Went to the Accademia Vivarium Novum, AMA.
>>
File: 1719996055977.jpg (36 KB, 655x527)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Today I learned that verbs like λανθάνω or τυγχάνω are called double nasal presents, with the nasal infix denoting the present tense and the nasal suffix the durative aspect.
The latter is particularly common in Anatolian languages, as well as Armenian:
>Hittite ḫattanna "to cut through, to pierce, to cut into pieces"
>Luwian uppanna "to bring"
>Armenian lk‘anem "to leave behind" (Greek λιμπάνω)
And the nasal infix needs no introduction. But apparently, finding both nasal affixes in single verbs is a purely Greek phenomenon. Most, but not all verba durativa have the nasal infix (e.g. αὐξάνω, ἰσχάνω). All of them have the nasal suffix, however.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.