[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: free hugs.png (294 KB, 812x1000)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
So /m/machines, how is your backlog going? Next season looks kinda dead for mecha content outside of that 4 part Code Geass ONA and whatever Kaiju 8 is supposed to be.
>>
>>22530746
Watched Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka back on Saturday, fantastic stuff! Reminds me a lot of Ishinomori 's style of character design to boot. I kinda want to take on Gunparade March but I'm uncertain, any anons here watch it and if yes what's it like?
>>
>>22530752
>I kinda want to take on Gunparade March but I'm uncertain, any anons here watch it
Yes.
> and if yes what's it like?
Oddly upbeat. Wouldn't call it the greatest thing in the world by any means, but I enjoyed my time with it.
>>
>>22530746
rn I'm finishing Blue Dragon. Idk whether I'll hit a fukuda or Votoms or Macross next.
>>
>backlog
imagine treating your hobby as a chore
>>
>>22530746
Im watching GSD now, I may watch a non /m/ show or a comedy /m/ one.
>>
File: Ashura Gorgon rescue 12.png (1.4 MB, 1920x1080)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
Been reading some Jeeg, it's alright. Good enough for me to have a dream about, apparently.
Seed's starting to get crazy (finished ep37), we've gone past the divergence point between it and UC, with a fake-out and "I knew you knew" sacrificial operation, and more and more people on both sides just getting absolutely sick of war. Not sure what NotChar is planning to do with Flay, but Athrun and the Guns Gundam pilot are just with Orb now. Doesn't seem that it's feasible to get other neutral countries to join, but Orb's a contending player now.
>the mid-episode clip with Lacus switched out Athrun with Kira
I chuckled.
Meanwhile for Mazinger (done ep80, we're so close!), Gorgon's been a complete bro to Ashura, both during their last stand and after their death. Zero reason to help them or want to avenge them, let alone hold them dying in his arms and telling them that they've won. Turns out the Ashura kikaiju was something made in Ashura's honour, rather than something to pilot, so that's actually really neat. Not much progress on Cutie Honey though. She's pretty enough, but my bros Boss and Mu La Flarga come first. I know I've said this a lot, but I REALLY didn't expect to care this much about Baron Ashura. Shin Mazinger's Ashura is even more likable, but you can't overlook Toei's either.
>>
Few eps into GoShogun. It’s alright so far, interesting to see how it’s going to somehow lead into Time Étranger
>>
>>22530746
New Shinkalion premieres in april
>>
>>22530801
Only good post.
>>
13 eps into Machineman, I thought Professor K was a guy in need of therapy, but after this past episode he's just a self absorbed grouch. Most villains in /m/ content make sense, this guy doesn't. Rest of the series is pretty okay.
>>
The Jeeg manga was okay, thought it was doing some weirdo cosmic ending again, but instead it's a cliffhanger for the second half's villain. Again. Gotta love Go Nagai...
>>
>>22530746
Going through spielban after finishing the first four metal heroes shows and gonna get to episode 33, it’s pretty good and planning on watching later Gorenger this year and possibly showa rider(I’ve already seen a bunch of stuff from the 70s and 80s but I’ve been saving these ones and spydah man up later, I think it’s time I’d get to the legends now way am I going through all of sentai after I’m done with the metal heroes shows
>>22533340
Never knew the second half villain was even in the manga, thought he was a toei original
>>
>>22532231
There’s a few untranslated novels in-between those.
>>
>>22533388
Was trying to find info on Ryuma, whether he was manga-only, since Kotetsushin Jeeg only mentioned (and obviously showed) queen Himika iirc, and found the worst fucking wiki entry I've seen in my entire life
https://gonagai.fandom.com/wiki/Kotetsu_Jeeg
Kotetsu Jeez Why Even Bother Writing This
>>
I'm 27 episodes into L-Gaim. Wasn't too sure about the show for the first 10 eps or so but it's gotten really good.
>>
>>22533391
Well this reminds me of very early ultra wiki’s articles where it was much less professional
>>
>>22534702
At least it was sometimes still informative or whatever, so you had to still take it with some begrudging gratitude, but this
what the fuck man
>>
A friend showed me Godzilla vs. Megalon, after I missed it way back
>Godzilla is a cute friend to humanity
>robot
>sentient robot
>the antag kaiju aren't even that evil, but they're also adorable
>human-centric stuff is relatively minimal
>fights are actually pretty decent
>fucking Jet Jaguar
What a masterpiece, can't hate Jet Jaguar.
>>
>>22535167
Have you seen other Godzilla stuff?
I've never really been much into kaiju (unless stuff like Digimon or Yo-kai Watch counts), but I'm currently watching Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle (basically Pokemon but with actual ten story tall kaiju) as part of my foray into Ultraman and I'm getting into it more than I thought I would
Might be interested in seeing other kaiju stuff later
>>
>>22532839
OP has generational trauma about trains
>>
>>22535219
Pretty sure I don't.
>>22534958
>>22534702
>>22533391
Why don't you guys go there and just make edits to fix it up? Anyone with a Fandom account can do that shit anonymously you know.
>>
File: Voltes V.png (512 KB, 720x528)
512 KB
512 KB PNG
About halfway through Voltes V.
I definitely prefer it over the ~12 episodes I caught of Combattler, especially in terms of animation and choreography.
There's still a certain formula to the fights, but the storyboarders manage to make the most of it, especially when the fighting continues into the "Finishing Attack"-phase (other shows tend to give up and just run the stock animation as-is)
I also like how melodramatic it can get, though I'm kind of miffed about the shift in focus from the pilots and villains to various other characters (the scientists, the military, escaped slaves, etc.) starting around episodes 10.

Would director Tadao Nagahama have hopped onto the "mecha as mass produced combat vehicle"-bandwagon that Gundam and Macross started, or would he have stuck to portraying mecha as bespoke superweapons and hyper-specific doomsday monsters?
>>
>>22535180
I can't recall any other titles shown to me, so let's go with "no".
Maybe give the one I watched a try, Jet Jaguar was likable enough, might be vaguely similar to Ultra. Same friend also showed me a bit of Ultraman Z I think. It was alright, got to see a bit of the predecessor teacher.
>>22535400
A bit difficult to do for the Jeeg show considering I never watched it. But I was very tempted to edit the errors and omissions in the Mazinger wiki about the Zero plotline, and maybe write a summary for each Mazinger Z episode... but then that would just make each episode a 2-hour long project and the show would feel poorly paced. Maybe I'll do it for Grendizer U if we're waiting for a week between each episode, and I'm rewatching clips to gush over anyway. I suppose I could rewatch bits of Z once I'm done, in order to jog my memory to write summaries? But I don't know if anyone actually still reads these sorts of things.
>>
>Seed picking up but also tricking me about the sibling reveal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQDvsf5lAp0
Jokes aside, RIP Mr Athha, you were a real one.
No idea where the Flay plotline is going, but Kira seems to have a better sense of what to do now, same with Athrun.
>>
>>22535603
>new opening
Why another new opening, this isn't really grea-
>Flay's textured nipples
Never mind
>a mysterious coffee drinker listening to Zaft broadcasts
>Lacus moving around being an inspiring radio station
Didn't expect this and this is super cool. I swear there was some /m/-related anime with something similar, of some branded-terrorist with radio stations, and the protag was trying to find them. Or maybe it was Psycho Pass season 1, it's been a while. You definitely feel a lot of character growth for the cast, as well as a meaningful and emotional sense of "war really fucking sucks and it warps us as people", and not just "killing and deaths are really sad" (not to say that this isn't a bad point or message for a show).
Azrael's really great and fun, you can hardly hear Hiyama-san's regular voice. The three fucking gremlins he's got piloting the Gundams are frustrating though. But we get cap'n Lacus next episode! With the pink ship! This might be really really fun.
>>
>>22535482
Yes, Jet Jaguar is one of the many Ultraman ripoffs spawned by Toho, and evidently the only one to have survived the 70s. No one really remembers or cares about Godman, Greenman, Zone Fighter, etc (and no, it isn't a sad thing; I tried watching an episode of Godman and literally couldn't even make it past the 5 minute mark. The unimaginably incompetent fight scene is funny at first and then you realize that's the whole show). I'm sure Tsuburaya's staff didn't consider these things ripoffs since most of them worked for or with Toho at various points anyway (Eiji Tsuburaya himself was the director of special effects of most of Toho's kaiju movies in the 50s and 60s, including the first few Godzilla films)

Anyway, I haven't gotten to Ultraman Z yet; I've heard good things about it from the Ultra general though. At this point I have... (checks notes)... 19 Ultra shows under my belt. I still think Tiga is the best one (albeit it's tied with its sequel Dyna; I think Tiga's episodes are a little more consistently good and it has better music, but I like Dyna's cast more and Dyna has a bit more fun with itself when it comes to fight scenes). If you're ever curious about redeeming Tiga from your childhood, try episode 39, "Dear Mr. Ultraman." If I had to pick one episode as the best, it's what I'd go with, and the show is (mostly) episodic, so you don't have to worry about continuity. The episode feels a lot like how I wish Gridman would have played out, very similar themes.
>>
>>22535658
Ripoffs... but he was so endearing
I've never heard of the other ones, unsurprisingly, but still, poor guys.
Nineteen... I don't know why Z was picked, apart from the very sad and dopey looking robot that's extremely adorable. Ok that was probably 90% of the reason.
>If you're ever curious about redeeming Tiga from your childhood
I am, because the dub sucked ass! We did have to watch the Godzilla movie dubbed though, since that was the only version we could find on short notice. A bit campy sometimes, sometimes felt like the child was not speaking English, but it was acceptable. So maybe a bit of campy is bearable for me as an adult
>try episode 39, "Dear Mr. Ultraman."
This sounds like a very emotional episode... I'll keep this in mind, thank you. (I think watching a singular episode of a thing isn't cheating, right?)
>how I wish Gridman would have played out, very similar themes.
I liked Grid/Dyna but there's a lot more I wish they did. Let me know how the original show is when you get around to it!
>>
>>22530746
Why is Zeruel human sized and who is the loli trying to snuggle him?
>>
File: 1710748376554302.gif (383 KB, 773x859)
383 KB
383 KB GIF
>>22536690
It's Neema from Fluffy Paradise, have a couple of gifs from the same artist over on /a/.
>>
File: 1710748468501805.gif (636 KB, 1215x787)
636 KB
636 KB GIF
>>22536700
Other one.
>>
>>22536700
>>22536704
Reminds me of my six year old niece, cute.
>>
>>22536548
>We did have to watch the Godzilla movie dubbed though
shout-tv.com is where I've been watching most /m/ live action stuff, and it looks like it has most Godzilla movies subbed. I know, I know, it's a streaming site, but it's legal, free, doesn't require signup and has no ads. No idea how they make money but I won't question it

>This sounds like a very emotional episode
It isn't by Tiga standards, but Tiga's a very emotional show in general. Like no one dies in the episode, so that already makes it a little more low key than a good chunk of Tiga episodes. But still, it makes an impact and more importantly, it examines a part of the premise in a way other shows don't bother with, which I was extremely grateful for. I'd watched so much Ultra and asked myself a certain question over and over across each show. This episode finally gave me a decent answer on top of having a really satisfying story and the great set design and cinematography that makes Tiga so good in general.

>Let me know how the original show is
I saw it several years ago, well, around 2/3 of it anyway. And, uh, if you have an aversion to cheesy, campy things, I definitely wouldn't watch it. I don't really plan on finishing it. Pretty much everything from the acting to the subtitles are of subpar quality. It's an early 90s kids show, like imagine Saved By the Bell, but they play a video game against a psycho nerdy kid every episode and that's more or less the Gridman toku. I still thought it was more fun than SSSS, but Tsuburaya aired Tiga right after Gridman, and Gridman doesn't hold a candle to Tiga
>>
>>22537244
Why did you spam >>22535435 again?
>>
>>22537333
>dodging the question
>>
>>22537338
Not dodging if I'm not droolio bandedias.
>>
File: Waltfeld waifu rip.png (783 KB, 1920x1080)
783 KB
783 KB PNG
Things are picking up for Seed, wonderful for the opening to keep Waltfeld's inclusion and role a surprise. Maybe I've even seen him in SRW V without noticing, I have not been deploying her ship and it's been ages since I played V. RIP his hot shoulders wife though...
And despite initially coming across as some vague and nice girl, Lacus is indeed quite the calm and principled leader figure
>inb4 it's the peak of everyone fighting a more desperate and pointless battle and Lacus just starts singing her one really sad song and people just start breaking down crying, her own plea asking them to stop all of this
It's a really good and sentimental melody
>>22537227
I'll recommend that for next time, thank you!
>a very recurring question for the theme/genre that this episode finally actually addresses
I don't know what that question is (don't tell me) but I'm looking forward to it!
That bad, huh... from the sound of it, it seemed like it was a candid and emotional show, due to the fact that all the callbacks described by anons were described in an emotional and meaningful way. Maybe they just really loved the show. I'd be slightly charitable to a show with bad subs though, horrible subs (not necessarily the group HorribleSubs) can really reduce a lot of emotional content or impact for anything.
>>
>>22537917
SRW Lacus is like C.C. in X. Best supporter in the game. And yeah, Waltfield is always her subpilot.

The Gridman toku has a few things going for it. The suit (for what it's worth I think Gridman's a better Ultra design than most actual Ultras), the songs, the computer world set (and they were so damn proud of that one set the entire OP is just showing off that set), and a few cool ideas that Ultra doesn't really do often/at all (friends know Gridman's identity from the start, Gridman combines with support vehicles, interplay between real and virtual worlds, semi-frequent upgrades, villain is a bitter and insanely petty guy who has hilariously disproportionate reactions to people mildly inconveniencing him)

But yeah, the actors are clearly phoning it in, the show only has like three sets (Junk basement, Takeshi's room and the computer world) and everything else seems filmed in a public location, Thunder/King Gridman suits are bulky and can barely move (just like old Sentai robots), the subs suck, and the three main characters are all really boring (and by extension, so are any episodes that focus on them instead of Takeshi)
>>
>>22538010
C.C.'s spirits are a bit expensive... I've been deploying her partly for "all friends have to be deployed together" autism, and I do want to see what she says about being aced... I was going to say that it'll be safe and fun to use the Eternal, but I think it's partway or the end of Seed Destiny, considering I have Shinn and Lunamarie or whoever the red-hair is, so maybe not for a while. I'm glad Waltfeld still gets to do cool things despite his injuries and that he'll never die at all (in magma)
Ah geez, is it just the computer world every time? Combining with support vehicles sounds really really great, but not so much when it's one of the only three settings... I know public stuff was important in like, the movie near the end? Because they're cleaning garbage? The three characters were ok for SSSS, but it sucks to hear that they were a bit boring in OG. I still think that the bad subs are partly to blame, but I didn't see how wooden the dialogue or writing was either.
>>
File: COME ON AND DREAM.jpg (148 KB, 736x1059)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>22539173
I mean, that is the one cool thing about Gridman as opposed to Ultraman. Having all the fights take place on an elaborate cyber space set really changes the character of the series
Ultra usually has more varied sets, but it doesn't translate to fight scenes. Just like monster movies, there's a ton of stomping around miniature buildings
That's part of why SSSS felt disappointing in comparison. It didn't try to recreate the computer world of the original and just had fights take place in a generic city (albeit one simulated by a computer, but you can't tell the difference for most of the show)
It also had the benefit of the distinction between the real world and the computer world, so the monsters Takeshi creates screwing up the computer world of course causes something to go haywire in the real world. That aspect reminded me a lot of Mega Man Battle Network, so I found it pretty enjoyable. I like when plots have layers like that
Also, even if I found the characters bland, they still felt better than the characters in SSSS. Rikka and especially Utsumi don't really do anything and have no real reason to exist. Their equivalents in the original show, on the other hand, designed and programmed the support vehicles and control them during fights, so they at least have that going for them
>>
>>22539586
Miniature buildings... Oh. I knew one femanon who liked to stack books and cardboard boxes in her room and make a pretend city, so she could stomp around pretending to be Godzilla, and was annoyed whenever her mother cleaned it up. I wonder how she's doing...
You see the computer world at the end of Gridman and Dynazenon, but yeah, it's a Subverted Reimagining or whatever, instead of the cool thing you got. But at least the support vehicles have personalities now, right? They were pretty endearing.
>the monsters Takeshi creates screwing up the computer world of course causes something to go haywire in the real world
Ah, I didn't know that happened! And that reminds me I should get back into Mega Man at some point. The Archie comics for regular, the games and anime for .exe... I remember show and gamewise I got as far as the dark chip stuff, but not as far as Bass.
And I agree about Utsumi, but Rikka's there as some sort of support, kinda? It felt like the intent was that they were having big arcs where they moved forward at the end, but it didn't really come across. And hey, at least Rikka still helps with some computer stuff, so she's helping out a bit, more than the tokufag at least. Well, he pinpointed a weakpoint at least one time. I like Rikka's thighs too, but the characterization and arcs were done slightly better in Dynazenon (but not by that much..)
>>
Poor Flay, I want her back on the Archangel, the real one, instead of the scary one with Azrael. I don't want her to die... ;_;
What a show, to have this much excitement yet this much suffering
>>
>>22530789
Sorry I'm late, thank you for the rec anon.
>>
Finished rewatching Dendoh, and it did not disappoint. I liked how one of the earlier space fights in the spiral castle had a spaceship reminiscent of 0079/Crusher Joe ships. Dendoh had great space fights in general. I also found this manga called Sorcer Striker (based on the video game) and it has a ton of cool, beautifully-drawn /m/ stuff.
>>
>>22541249
>Ashura trying to pilot the Pilder/Mazinger in Shin actually came from this ep of Brocken trying to pilot
>just calling out attacks while desperately pressing random buttons
Cute, also they really should just give Boss a flight upgrade... also, not that I thematically mind, but why does Gorgon just have Ashura's Iron Masks under him now?
>over 80 episodes in, and the back of the head is still sometimes blue
It doesn't even look that out of place, I wouldn't mind it as an alternate colouration at all. Next episode is Pygman! Please don't suck ass, Pygman!
>>
Just got out of a showing for Ghost Busters: Frozen Empire, it was excellent. Best of the five movies easily even if everyone somehow isn't bothered by frost bite. Between this, Aquaman 2, and Shiny from the upcoming Godzilla and Kong movie Hollywood really likes having a freezing theme going on.
>>
>>22541498
Wrong board, idiot.
>>
Just watched Saturn 3, an old sci-fi movie about a deranged robot on one of Saturn's moons. Pretty excellent stuff even if the first half could have been better and the music didn't fit the tone of scenes at times.
>>
File: 1708398884287545.png (13 KB, 530x553)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>22543958
>Waaaaaah duel
Sure thing schizo.
>>
>>22543953
WRONG BOARD, IDIOT.
>>
>>22545001
>Shinkalion ain't /m/
Knew it.
>>
If Mazinger Z was an arms race of both sides being a smart 70s children's cartoon of figuring out how to counter each others' supers, Gundam Seed is an arms race with people being further embroiled in hate... I realized that it's pretty much the Titans vs Zeon at this point, with the feds even having a.. some sort of satellite nuke? Only three episodes left, I'm still worried about when Flay will die, meanwhile Lacus is very stern and dependable now. I wish we got a foreshadow of that side of her earlier since it's a bit sudden, but I admire it too much to be seriously critical about this. Seems even Yzak's coming around to being a buddy, so that's good at least. Still hate the edgy tri-stars though.
>>
>>22545188
Posting the tiniest bit of mecha isn't some sort of magic license to make this thread about moeshit. Be a man for fuck's sake.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.55 MB, 1920x1080)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
Man...
>>
File: Spoiler Image (781 KB, 865x580)
781 KB
781 KB PNG
>>22548169
>>
>>22548218
Wait so is he confirmed dead... I still have one episode to go.
Poor Murrue, poor Natarle, poor Mu...
>>
>>22532229
>switched out Athrun with Kira
>>
>Aniwave lost a ton of its mirrors today so now I can't watch anime for a while.
>>
>>22548316
He seems fine with it, having Cagali and all, so I guess it works out.
>>
File: Athrun and Cagalli.png (717 KB, 869x605)
717 KB
717 KB PNG
>>22548487
>>
>>22548492
And he finally gave her a lil kiss, on the cheek! Hopefully the thing about him being cucked from Cagali is an overreaction, and they're happy together by the end.
>>
>>22530746
Been watching a ton of Rider and Sentai the last few months, but I'm getting burned out on them so I thought I'd try some 90s American sci fi series. Just started on Babylon 5 and Stargate SG-1.
>>22530801
I just use it to mean things I'm interested in but haven't gotten around to yet, it's not like I'm checking these things off on a list.
>>
Kinda been slow really, I'm a wagie so i havent really been using my spare time to watch anything as of recent. However I have been watching Code Geass and it's pretty fun so far. I do wish to find more Mecha where the mechs are depicted as characters rather than something the pilots control. Any suggestions?
>>
>>22549022
Iron Leaguer
>>
>>22549022
Boku no Marie
>>
File: file.png (1.82 MB, 1920x1080)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB PNG
Finished Seed...
Poor Flay. I was hoping she would survive at least Seed or get to meet Kira and the others again. And poor captain Murrue... although I think La Flarga comes back? I remember a scarred version, and noted that I never saw the shot with his helmet, which they might have removed in the remaster if they brought him back in Destiny.. but I'm sure it'll still be an emotional moment to greet his return.
I feel Seed benefits from getting to work with decades' worth of Gundam material, not that that's a bad thing at all. The "war bad" thing was shown well with almost CCA proportions near the end, was half-expecting everyone to team up and veer Genesis off-course. A bit worried what the new nightmare will be, considering this is an open but rather good ending with some degree of closure for both factions.
>get to hear Lacus say ara ara again at the end
She's pretty and unironically maternal, I hope that at the very least we see more of "reliable leader Lacus" in Seed Destiny, regardless of how that show turns out to be. Also fuck Le Creuset.
>>
I need to get back to Dragonar but I remember anon was working on subs for the better looking release though lost track if that ever happened.
>>
Bout half way through GoShogun. It’s definitely picked up the pace. The first couple of episodes were fun but felt a bit repetitive and the constant focus on Kenta as opposed to the rest of the Good Thunder team was a little disheartening, even if the kid started to become more likeable. Finally getting to learn about the rest of the team now though which is good to see. Just finished the Remy flashback episode which had a bit of a strange turn of events. Her ex turning out to be this overly egotistical nutter came a bit out of nowhere and felt a bit forced but it was still a good watch. Got me feeling nostalgic over visiting Paris again, even though it’s a shithole
>>
File: Freedom End of Seed.png (536 KB, 866x612)
536 KB
536 KB PNG
>>22549750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZegBSfZ8SQ
>>
Just finished watching Land Shark which is probably one of the best non-Japanese kaiju (toku?) movies ever made. Yeah, got a perfect score from me, it was very action packed throughout. Sea King was a cool shark even if he was half worm although in terms of shark movies about sharks out of water I think Sand Sharks was better.
>>
>>22550135
Forgot to mention it was amusing the male lead looked exactly like Owen Grady from the Jurassic World movies.
>>
File: Captain desk.png (1.47 MB, 1920x1080)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>22549881
Thank you!
Everyone's yelling at me for having watched and enjoyed Seed, and implied that Seed Destiny will be a bad experience...
I gotta to stay strong, for captain Ramius.
>>
>>22550325
I enjoyed Seed for what it is. Haven't begun my own proper watch of Destiny in this day and age yet. However, I'll try and have an open mind to it to see how much my 2000s nostalgia holds up on it.
>>
>>22550329
>my own proper watch of Destiny
Which you'll tarry on, thus forcing your hand to read Shin Mazinger Zero
>>
>>22550135
>>22550138
Kill yourself drool.
>>
>>22550325
I actually kinda prefer Destiny to SEED. It’s objectively worse but it puts forward a lot of interesting topics, has some genuinely well written characters and some great suit designs. I mean it’s obvious the show is being held together with duct tape and is rapidly falling apart in the final push but up to that point it’s actually a very enjoyable ride. Just make sure you watch the Remaster though, there’s literally no reason to watch the original SD cut unless you’re extremely autistic about those sort of things or you just love Wings of Words
>>
Has anyone ever made a comprehensive list of every older show that’s been subbed, be it officially or by a fan? It’s getting more and more disheartening to get interested in a show only to find that it’s not subbed at all, stuck in crabstick hell or only the first 5 episodes were done. 80s/90s stuff is more accessible but when you’re into 60s and 70s robot anime it’s extremely slim pickings at times.
>>
>>22551345
>the show is being held together with duct tape and is rapidly falling apart in the final push
What happened
What happened that it's apparently gotten a subsequent movie or series this month
>>there’s literally no reason to watch the original SD cut unless you’re extremely autistic about those sort of things
I'm not sure what Wings of Words is, was the non-remaster was that bad? Hopefully the remastered torrent is, well, seeded.
Heh.
>>
>>22551995
Destiny's fourth Opening Song in the original version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQFvrIOlwok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRS0rk1yXlw
>>
>>22551980
Bot.
>>
>>22530746
Currently about 6 episodes into Zegapain, enjoying that a lot.
Also might go back and watch the rest of Bravern since that seems to be wrapping up. I watched the first 2 episodes weekly, and found it pretty fun.
>>
>>22535603
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdIwFeZd0w
>>
Finally finished Twelve Kingdoms after marathoning the last five eps today. Welp, this sucked, animation sometimes did corner cutting, the pacing could not decide to be fast or slow, the characters sucked, stock music, and the morals are pretty horrid (too many innocent people suffer for no reason and instead of solving issues they just accept bad systems). The last five eps should have been a spin off, they really should have ended at ep 39 with parts of ep 40. Bad but not horrible, just glad it's over.
>>
File: 1681274865926800.jpg (275 KB, 1536x2048)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>22552043
>Destiny has (at least) four openings
Well, I do love new openings and OP changes (they surprised me with Waltfeld!), but for Seed, I preferred some of the older OPs and EDs..
But I'm also the same dummy who said Shin Mazinger's OPs didn't look like they fit Mazinger, and I was dead wrong about that. Like, I've been consistently shown that my first i/m/pressions are absolute dogshit
>Lacus
She's pretty and wholesome-
>that bare Lacus
Okay. I've seen a lot of pics of her implying indecency in SRW threads, is that baseless off-character ecchi, or is there actually some ground for it? Because there's a LOT of those pics (from the same artist?)
>>22554304
Seriously, how bad is it to go around saying "I think Seed was better-made and better-written than 0079 and I liked Seed more, it benefited from getting to reference prior works and evoke more emotions about how war is bad", I vaguely got the impression that the majority of Gundam fans, at least pre-2013 were "UC good and anything non-UC sucks in comparison except for G Gundam". I liked Seed but I don't want to get /m/urdered
>>
Read the fourth chapter of Sworgrader. Sworgrader vs Dark Great Baan Gaan is looking good so far.
>>
>>22538010
>>22539173
The episode where Naoto got his brother freezing to near death was morbidly funny.
>>
>>22557227
>Seriously, how bad is it to go around saying "I think Seed was better-made and better-written than 0079 and I liked Seed more, it benefited from getting to reference prior works and evoke more emotions about how war is bad"
It's bad mostly because you fell for memes
I don't think either show has a "war is bad" message, if anything SEED tries to justify Kira fighting as much as possible by making his enemies one dimensional cartoonish maniacs, albeit a few of the Zabis fit that description as well
Further, 0079 was never trying to be melodramatic in the way SEED is. It has its heated moments, but most of the tension in the show comes from whether or not the White Base through can get through this or that war scenario, and where Char is going with his plans. 0079 is an actual war story, while SEED uses its war as a backdrop for soap opera character drama
So it's not really fair to judge them the same way
>>
>>22557509
>It's bad mostly because you fell for memes
Wait what
>I don't think either show has a "war is bad" message
What about the recurring "kill someone for killing, get killed for killing someone, is this how things are supposed to be, forever" bit
>one dimensional cartoonish maniacs
That was only Azrael and his crew though, compared to Athrun's squad that all have some form of non-crazy characterization (Yzak regained sanity later).
>few of the Zabis
Wasn't it just Gihren? Even Degwin's tired, Garma and Dozle were alright people born into the wrong family, Kycillia is like, halfway between "a person" and "i think she knows who Hitler is"
>SEED uses its war as a backdrop for soap opera character drama
>So it's not really fair to judge them the same way
Ok, fair enough. It would be like saying that Godannar explored the theme of marriage between robot pilots more than Mazinger Z did. But I think I still enjoyed Seed more, although I'm not sure whether I got through it slowly because it wasn't that exciting, or if I wasn't that excited since I kept taking breaks. Although I think I consistently watched it after Ramba Ral's arc, which I remember well and view fondly, having seen it a few times. Maybe it was the salt and Doan eps that left a strong impression on me.
>>
Watched the Rayearth OVA. Felt a bit trippy at times.
>>
Watched Ender's Game last night, very slow pacing in an otherwise great movie.
>>
>>22557861
Not /m/.
>>
>>22557866
>Sci-fi movie about spaceship battles not being /m/
Trolling outside of /b/ is against the rules. And yes, spaceships are /m/echa.
>>
Watching Gundam 00 on episode 40 rn. It's definetily good fun but nothing mindblowing. Next im diving into some Ryosuke Takahashi, namely Garasaki and FLAG. Then i'm not sure... maybe a non-gundam Tomino show from the 80s? How's Xabungle? I love the opening and the designs but i don't know if i can sit through nothing but Tomino "comedy" for 50 episodes. Does it ever get serious arcs like ZZ?
>>
>>22557903
I'm not even duel, what is wrong with you?
>>
>>22557911
Having seen all of Tomino's non-Gundam works (except Vifam) and none of his Gundam works, I think Xabungle is the second best thing he worked on after Zambot. It has a few serious moments, there is a death or two, but yeah, it's pretty consistently silly throughout. I'm a guy who appreciates consistency. I'll grant you that Tomino isn't generally good at comedy. Daitarn and King Gainer were whatever and while I did enjoy the first half of L-Gaim more than the second, the show was never all that good. But Xabugle clicked for me, and I think it came down to Jiron being the best protagonist a Tomino show has ever produced. He's extremely emotional and kinda selfish, but he still has a big heart and doesn't take things personally. Kinda like a cross between Kamille and Banjo. The show isn't afraid to throw him into the same slapstick scenarios as the rest of the cast (unlike how the rest of Tomino's comedies were with their respective protagonists), and he's such a fucking hothead that his overreactions usually make things funnier

Anyway, give it a few episodes, see if it works for you
>>
File: file.png (2.03 MB, 1920x1080)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB PNG
>Honey is skipping church
>utterly confused, because I've seen this before and finished that episode
>turns out she is merely doing this a second time
I love my scandalous Christian wife
>>
File: file.png (1.7 MB, 1920x1080)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PNG
Thank you Jesus for bestowing upon me this gift during this holy season
>>
File: Boss thanked.jpg (2.67 MB, 1920x3240)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>22559198
I think he was thanked a few times prior, but I think this is the most heartfelt and sincere occasion, without any sort of backhand or bullying, just genuine surprise, understanding, and gratitude for a friend frightened and ill-equipped yet doing his best to save you.
>>
>>22535644
>The three fucking gremlins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2MIEK72pQU
>>
>>22559265
>think the three Ashtray girls are going to be reverse Tri-Stars and be cute and memorable friends
>think they end up dying but not even completely sure whether it's them or other Pretty Much Shrike Team girls
>hope for literally anything vaguely pleasant from Titans Tri-Stars
>they grem around, consistently seething and then die like bitches
At least sending Azrael off was enjoyable, but these guys were a bit of a pain, although maybe that was the point.
Also is Murrue just going to never find out that Natarle did alright by the end? Is it just a sad secret between her and the viewer?
>>
>>22557227
>Seed, I preferred some of the older OPs and EDs..
Me too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-cWsnAw3U&t=914s
>>
File: Lacus settei.jpg (89 KB, 1200x676)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>22537917
>>
Pygman is... interesting. But it's a bit disheartening that he legitimately does not feel like an actual character though, some episodes he just has no dialogue, let alone interactions with his coworkers.

>>22559750
This one's nice, which one was this?
>>22561327
Lacus-sama...
Apparently the movie will be playing in my city next month! But I have to finish Cutie Honey (finished ep4) and Sailor Moon (ep17) to watch Seed Destiny. I don't know how I'd feel about watching it with the knowledge of how Seed Destiny ended. Did everyone like the movie, at least?
>>
>>22561449
The people who watched Freedom considered Freedom as a fun movie at the very least.
>>
>>22561543
No one who liked Seed (and Destiny?) being angry is a good sign, at least! I think...
>>
>>22561449
The remixed versions of Invoke and River?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIN3nvlDVKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPQPUxiOKHQ
>>
>>22562186
These are actually pretty good, thank you!
>>
>>22530746
After having it downloaded for, like, five years, I finally finished Xabungle. What a goddamn blast, I haven't had fun like this with a show in a while.
>>
>>22562763
Found another Ishii song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHlVby3jqdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofRPXVgTY0
>>
Started a pair of mecha titles this morning.

>Gunparade March
As suggested from the anon above, watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. It's nice to have the action and setting be the focus rather than the MC for a change. Plus neat monsters. Didn't see any guides for the HWTs or Phantom Beasts, looks like I'm making an article on the /m/ Wikia.
>Glass Fleet
Oh wow, a joint project between legendary studios Gonzo and Satelight? And it's a spa e battleship series? The action was nice... And the protagonists are a bunch of terrorists that violently attack a bunch of innocent people at a wedding before being rightfully shelled Stephen Paddock style into oblivion. Also humans can breathe in space somehow. Top that off with low quality art and music and you can tell this smells like Felcher Gundam levels of failure in the making. Maybe I can make an article out of this too.
>>
File: Ashura prayer 6.png (1.09 MB, 1920x1080)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>22562862
This is comfy, like watching anime as a kid during summer break, or running around in the fields at spring
but now we're sad old /m/en...
>>
>>22563599
Shut the fuck up retard, nobody buys your false sentimentalism. If you are depressed book a therapist.
>>
>no nostalgia allowed, can't think about the childhood excitement of watching bits of a new anime with next to no knowledge of the genre or common plotpoints, and just enjoying a show at face value regardless of whether or not it's shit
ok
>>
>>22564698
Get outta here, /pol/. And no, you're not the real Pitzfag.
>>
God, I'm two episodes into Ginyio no Olynsis, and what an awful, awful show. It centres around a Kira clone's cringeworthy romance with some screaming Lacus clone. The music and pacing are terrible; in one big fight scene they had electric guitars, and in all the non-fight scenes it's typical happy/relaxing anime music. The story had some potential with fighting the people on the moon, and it has some cool buildings and wheeled vehicles, but my God, talk about being delivered in the most cringeworthy way possible. The only thing worse is Aldnoah.Zero, which I'm pretty sure may have just added elements of Code Gayss to Olynsis, which is itself an idiotic SEED clone that somehow made Kira even less interesting.
>>
>>22562835
>out of print blu-rays
>300Gig DL
>>
File: 1687243771910341.png (1.72 MB, 1440x1080)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>backlog
I just started watching this and found out it's a mecha anime. Wasn't really expecting that desu
>>
>>22567941
Have fun with Big O
>>
>>22567941
You are in for quite a treat. Some described it as a spiritual successor to the Giant Robo OVA, so consider watching that after if you haven't already!
>>
>>22550325
>Everyone's yelling at me for having watched and enjoyed Seed
I mean I'm glad you enjoyed it anon. Personally I thought it was one of the worst anime I've ever watched and hated every second of it, but I find it interesting that you thought otherwise.
>>
File: 0001559324.jpg (189 KB, 997x700)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Currently going through Dragonar, rewatched Iczer 3 inbetween and will start OG Yatterman afterwards.

Christ, I forgot just HOW bad Iczer 3's VA was and it's no wonder that it was Cutie Suzuki's sole role as one.
>>
Still watching Voltes V, 7 episodes away from the end.
There's been a lot of fun banter these past few episodes, it's really nice to see the pilot team back in the spotlight after 20 episodes more-or-less dedicated to the scientists and villains.

Also started watching Tenchi Muyo GXP. The humor's a bit loud for my tastes, but some of the jokes actually land and I might get used to it once the introductions and Galaxy Police training are over with.

>>22568977
When I first watched Iczer-3 I thought she was voiced by the creator's niece or something, not some pro wrestler the studio brought in.
I personally prefer her over Iczer-1, something about a small, naive child with the strength of 10 bulldozers is inherently really funny.
>>
Transformers G1 to celebrate the franchise's 40th anniversary.
>>
>>22530746
I only just got properly into mecha anime, so poorly. I've made it past 20 episodes of the original Gundam and I'm kicking myself for not watching it sooner it's so good.
>>
>>22550325
SEED is fine. Rewatching it right now myself. First time doing so since the remaster. It's kinda dumb and flashy at points, but it's got a pretty endearing cast. It's definitely carried by the music and the stellar voice cast though.

I actually think it gets pretty entertaining once it starts doing its own thing more. When they're just sorta retreading First Gundam's plot, it definitely has the effect of making me just wanna rewatch that instead. But, I'm still having a good time with SEED. Just got to where Kira fucks Yzak's face up.
>>
On Saturday I watched Air: The Motion Picture aka the worst and possibly most lazy anime movie not made by Trigger/is a Fate series compilation movie. Was going to give it a 1/10, but the pacing was decent. Also finished Yuuki Yuuna: Washi Sumio Chapter which was actually really good, better than the first two series even. As for /m/ stuff:

>Gunparade March, 5 eps
And here I thought things would still be good, needs more action and everything is pretty average so far.
>Glass Fleet, 5 eps
Everyone is either annoying or a colossal dick, not much beyond that.
>Shinkalion Z, 6 eps
Such a giant improvement over the first series, even the comedy is a step in the right direction. Not by much, but enough.
>>
>>22570869
Most of that post was /m/ related.
>>
>>22570921
he's replying to himself, newfag
>>
File: 1443716897739.png (199 KB, 491x368)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>22570921
This is not, in fact, a cool trick that allows off-topic posting. The newfag led with a moeshit movie.
>>
Watched a bunch of kaiju and toku stuff with my friend, need 2,000 characters while not waiting for the next episode of OG Ultraman to write out my thoughts, but I had fun.
>Godzilla vs Megalon a while back
>Godzilla vs Hedorah
>Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
>Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
>a few eps of Ultraman
A piloted sentient super-robot was great, but I've absolutely adored the Showa era Godzilla and his friends, definitely want to finish Showa this year

>>22568946
Th-thanks
I wouldn't call it the best anime in the world but I wouldn't call it the worst either.
>>22570482
I appreciated the 0079 parallels/similarities but yeah, it picked up when it started diverging. I liked it more than 0079 but I'm always nervous to say this.
>it's got a pretty endearing cast. It's definitely carried by the music and the stellar voice cast though.
This definitely helped a lot as well, even the frequently-mocked sobbing is just heartbreaking when you actually get to it
>>
File: Athrun's tear.webm (81 KB, 1280x720)
81 KB
81 KB WEBM
>>22571556
>>22570482
Akira Ishida is genuinely an a/m/azing voice actor.
https://files.catbox.moe/akzjj0.mp4
>>
>>22571576
Just heart-wrenching... the entire dialogue captures the emotions in this scene to a T, the whole bit from him being calmly miserable to outright losing it. Hoping to still get this sort of quality in Seed Destiny
>>
File: Seed 28 Athrun.webm (2.3 MB, 1280x720)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB WEBM
>>22571600
https://files.catbox.moe/p11o97.mp4
>>
>>22571682
Yeah, here too, I wasn't that torn up about Nicol but moreso felt bad because of how badly Athrun took it..
>>
>>22571556
The OG Ultraman? I thought you'd been watching Z. Put off by all the continuity with prior stuff?
I just made it to Z myself, meaning I'm almost entirely caught up. Just gotta finish Z and then watch Trigger and Decker and I'll have seen every main Ultraman show. But yeah, Z does seem like the most daunting show for a newcomer I've seen even just 5 episodes in
I like the OG show and it's definitely an interesting historical work but it actually doesn't even crack my top 10. It almost does but not quite

I told you about that one Tiga episode, did you end up watching it? Also I thought you'd said in the ZERO thread from a few days ago that you'd be reading Demonbane. How's that going?
>>
>>22571894
No uh, my best friend is a cruel tyrant who picks things for us to watch when we're relaxing or when I'm feeling down, and quite a few Godzilla movies were picked, and then Ultraman. Still watching, hence lack of detailed thoughts yet. No I'm not fully sure why the OG was picked other than an endearing love for Baltans, but I said I'd give at least one OG episode a chance, due to how good the Showa era Godzilla movies were.
Actually impressed with the show so far, quite a number of sympathetic kaiju as well. Poor Pigmon, Jihras, Gango, Dodongo, Gavadon, a bunch of relatively or completely innocent monsters just living their lives...
>it actually doesn't even crack my top 10
There's definitely a lot of room to develop the plotpoints and franchise. If there was a primary antagonist or overarching plot, I feel you'd lose a lot of these sympathetic and endearing monsters along the way. I'd imagine most will have main plots after, but I wouldn't mind some eps with natural phenomena, pre-existing creatures, etc showing up.
>I told you about that one Tiga episode, did you end up watching it?
Not yet, I can actually mention it to watch together, it was episode 39 right?
>Demonbane
I have yet to start, the reason I'm getting toku streamed at me is partly due to me mentally worsening, didn't have the energy to open Demonbane but it's certainly easier being seated or lying down while someone streams at you a thing you were thinking of one day getting into.
>>
>>22571894
>>22571898
I was in fact asked to send your specific post about Tiga once I mentioned it, so uh, good luck, everything you told me is what we're going with, before my friend decides if/when we give it a watch. One comment I had for OG though was:
>goofy idiot character actually has really good deduction skills, as well as perception and intuition, since he was the first to notice the oddity of Hayata disappearing/returning after Ultraman
I don't mind the human crew, Ide is particularly endearing, and pretty helpful as well. Hayata's like, okay. Ultraman's fine, aside from ep1 the only bit of characterization we got was him consoling the children about Gavadon. That and genociding almost the entire Baltan population. But he consoled children too!
>>
>>22571898
>Poor Pigmon, Jihras, Gango, Dodongo
Oh wow, so you're not even going in order and are just jumping all over the place. The Pigmon episode is near the end of the show. I guess your friend has his favorite episodes picked out, and those definitely were some notable ones. The Jirahs episode was probably the best one due to the direction/camerawork and you getting to see another side of the characters not seen in other episodes. I'm also partial to the Bullton episode because fifth dimensional plots are fun to me and the Dada one because I really like Dadas

>I'd imagine most will have main plots after,
Actually no. The only Ultra show I've seen to have a really strong core plot where every episode flows into the next is Nexus. But there's a bunch of different types of episodic and Ultra has done all of them
>Straight episodic where there's no continuity apart from the occasional two parter, Ultraseven had this
>Same as above but there's an upgrade or nods to prior shows; most showa Ultras and Max were this type
>Slow buildup of recurring elements throughout the show despite general episodic format; you see this in the OG, Tiga, Dyna, Cosmos
>There is a plot but it's broken up between a lot of episodic interludes, Gaia and Mebius have this
>Show is episodic but has a main plot running as the B story for each episode, most new gen shows are like this

And yeah it was episode 39
>>
>>22571931
N-no anon, Pigmon was in the Red King episode as a friend. It was helping the survivor in the island inhabited by Red King and other horrible things, and was pelted with rocks by Red King because it was trying to distract it from hurting its human buddies... We just finished the second Baltan episode and apparently Bullton is next in the order. Friend heeded the recommendation and we're in the middle of ep39 for Tiga though! And it's neat to hear that most of the Ultra shows were episodic or have a main plot in the background. Thank you Z for warming me up to episodic shows.
My friend (who will just read and recognize my posts now...) also commented that Tiga looks similar to OG in quality, moreso as a praise for the 1966 show. It's again very impressive, I'm more impressed by OG Ultraman than OG Kamen Rider, even though I liked the main cast more.
>helper buddy in KR was also the captain for Ultra
>feels like his stipulation was that he should be able to have a pipe whenever he wants
He's the reliable supporting buddy...
>>
>>22571941
>that Tiga looks similar to OG in quality, moreso as a praise for the 1966 show.
Mm, I think it's better. As good as the OG is, even in just the episode you're watching, those moody shots of the psychic guy's apartment or those shots of him being kicked around by his bullies being juxtaposed with shots of Ultraman being beaten up by the monster is just masterful stuff. You don't see anything like it in the OG show
>>
>>22571951
Think my friend meant purely in terms of toku quality, not the camerawork cinema stuff. I did note that the physical action is more dynamic rather than lumbering on both sides. We finished and enjoyed the episode, but we're both confused about what the long-standing question that this episode answered was supposed to be. We were expecting more of a "ah ha" moment
Rena is cute though.
>>
>>22571960
>Think my friend meant purely in terms of toku quality
Yeah, the special effects are pretty normal for the time. What sets Tiga apart are the set design, the emotional writing and yeah, the camerawork. I didn't just say those things because they looked dazzling, it's because those shots of the apartment are meant to tell you about Makio's character even though you only know him (and see the shot) for a short time, and when he's watching Ultraman fight the monster, he could have just thought "wow, this is just like that time I was beaten up as a kid," but instead they showed it to you in the most gut wrenching way possible

>but we're both confused about what the long-standing question that this episode answered was supposed to be
Why Daigo kept his identity as Ultraman a secret, the answer being "so humans don't become overly reliant on Ultraman"
Most Ultra shows have the Ultra keep his identity as Ultraman a secret until the last episode or two, and Tiga's the same. So I appreciated the episode a lot for taking a deeper look at why that's the case, because most just don't address it at all and you're just supposed to accept it's a thing they do for no apparent reason.
>>
>>22571975
Yeah, I did notice moreso the emotional camera work. The 60s one used the camera to convincingly show a zero-gravity environment, but there hasn't been much stuff for emotional framing yet.
>they showed it to you in the most gut wrenching way possible
Yeah...
>Why Daigo kept his identity as Ultraman a secret, the answer being "so humans don't become overly reliant on Ultraman"
Uhhhhh maybe it's because we started with '66, but I didn't really get that impression at all... for superhero stuff, it's generally "my loved ones will be at risk" or "I'll be judged as weird", but as my friend put it:
>we both saw how they were ready to kill
>Innocent Drawing
>for it
>snoring too loudly
>I think deciding not to tell anyone who's train of thought is like that that you are an alien is a good idea
And wouldn't they rely on Ultraman irrespective of knowing who he is? He certainly shows up regardless of whether people know what's going on..
>Most Ultra shows have the Ultra keep his identity as Ultraman a secret until the last episode or two
I do get the emotional need of confiding in people, but it ill-advisedly seems like a terrible idea for the main character, even if it'll provide good character moments to watch.
>most just don't address it at all and you're just supposed to accept it's a thing they do for no apparent reason.
That's fair though, leaving it unaddressed or unconfirmed is also a bit weird, never telling your friends even something like "I have to go call Ultraman" vs telling them you have a bladder problem. I think it'd be best if they just had one episode of protag being conflicted about telling them, but it's implied that at least one of them has some good idea about his secret but just letting him be. Regardless of being Ultraman, the protagonist is a hard-working friend defending humanity...
>>
>>22571975
>>22571987
Oh, we also got like, five entire seconds of Ultraman visibly hesitating to attack poor Dodongo, think it switched to Ultraman's perspective for a second. So '66 has done some emotional stuff as well, just a bit more subtle and less artsy.
>>
>>22571987
Well, granted, the original show is a little more unrefined about how decides to approach sensitive situations. Pretty much every show after the original has the cast be less bloodthirsty and more willing to preserve innocent monsters
Hell, that's even the entire concept of Cosmos, it's a show about a (mostly) pacifist Ultra who tries his best to avoid killing any monster at all and instead transports them to a special kaiju preserve island where they can live in peace without bothering humans. Blazar does its own remake of the sleepy Gavadon episode and it doesn't even transform into an evil form in that one, and they don't end up killing it there.

In practical terms, I've often thought it would actually make more sense and be more interesting if the MC did reveal his identity sooner, because then they could plan missions together with the idea that Ultraman will appear (and it also helps for certain scenarios where I've seen where the Ultra will prioritize keeping his identity secret over the safety of human lives even though the show never establishes a good reason for keeping his identity secret)
>>
>>22572001
>Pretty much every show after the original has the cast be less bloodthirsty and more willing to preserve innocent monsters
Well, that's cheering to hear!
>transports them to a special kaiju preserve island
That's what I asked for like, eight episodes in, with the Red King and kaiju island
>it doesn't even transform into an evil form in that one
What, it never did, even when looking beefed up, it still just wanted to sleep...
>they could plan missions together with the idea that Ultraman will appear
I mean, they haven't been planning while accounting Ultraman's eventual appearance, but yeah I guess they don't have enough information about him to know how often he can show up
>certain scenarios where I've seen where the Ultra will prioritize keeping his identity secret over the safety of human lives even though the show never establishes a good reason for keeping his identity secret
C-come on, if it's some child's life at stake, you have to forego it and just have him promise to keep it a secret (which the child will do, and never show up again)
But like, you might get interrogated, tortured, or experimented on or whatever, depending on how your governments and agencies are like in-universe. I mean, you've seen Bravern, right?
>>
>>22572014
>That's what I asked for like, eight episodes in, with the Red King and kaiju island
Well if the idea sounds cool to you, Cosmos ended up being my fourth favorite even though it's the longest show in the franchise. It would have been number 1, actually, and the only reason it isn't is because it never killed off a human character. It still has its tragic moments (times where Cosmos is forced to kill kaiju because of the situation, times where the military steps in and ends up ruining things), but my top 3 (Tiga, Dyna, Blazar) were all willing to kill humans and therefore were able to have a wider range of scenarios that arguably got more emotional

>But like, you might get interrogated, tortured, or experimented
Yeah, well, most Ultra shows establish the main team as good people, so it still comes off as odd
But this actually does happen in Nexus, which is a more adult oriented show. The cast are more morally grey and the Ultra's identity is revealed to the main team at the very beginning (and the Ultra himself is actually not part of the team or the main character). Ultra eventually gets captured and experimented on, but he allows it to earn trust and because he thinks it'll ultimately help save the day. Through the experiments, they learn how to reproduce Ultraman's beam and end up mounting an Ultraman beam cannon on the mecha
>>
Why do you keep stuttering you fucking faggot, you are not cute you are a faggot.
>>
>>22550325
Seed's one of these series I kinda enjoy more after a rewatch rather than the first viewing. Same with Destiny, though I still dislike the latter half of it compared to the first.

When do you think you'll watch Destiny Anon?
>>
>finally we get an unquestionably evil enemy other than Red King that threw rocks at a monster child
>this horrendously evil being inspired the Z'Gok apparently
>Ultraman decided on his own to try genociding the Baltans instead of the Zarabians
>>22572043
>the only reason it isn't is because it never killed off a human character
Like, any human casualties, or an actual character of the week?
>were all willing to kill humans and therefore were able to have a wider range of scenarios that arguably got more emotional
Fair... I think I'd still have a soft spot for a show that spared its people, but I get that it's a bit jarring that it never ever happened.
>establish the main team as good people
Trust nobody
>Ultra eventually gets captured and experimented on, but he allows it to earn trust and because he thinks it'll ultimately help save the day.
This sounds mega depressing... although very noble for our hero.
>>22572044
This is the friend I mentioned the last time this came up, who I picked up a lot of weird mannerisms from. A lot of flabbergasting stuff happened for the stuff we've watched today, that would make us go "wh-why the fuck is it doing that" or "s-stop throwing rocks at that poor child monster" in a natural statement, and I forgot to filter this. I spend most of my social life with this person and I knew her from 4chan from years ago so cut me some slack...
>>22572067
I have to finish Sailor Moon and Cutie Honey before I challenge my anon to a Seed Destiny watch. If I finish first, he'll finally read Shin Mazinger Zero!
>>
>>22572081
>I think I'd still have a soft spot for a show that spared its people, but I get that it's a bit jarring that it never ever happened.
Well it's not that it was jarring, Cosmos was a generally pretty upbeat show. I'm just saying it was a limit on the type of stories the show could tell. But the show was fantastic even with that limit; there were other Ultra shows that did kill people that I liked less than Cosmos. It came down to Cosmos having a really, really good antagonist, a semi-sentient space virus called Chaos Header which would infect the kaiju and transform them into violent berserk Chaos forms, which was obviously big trouble for an Ultra that wanted to save kaiju. I loved how the show managed to be episodic and have a new monster every episode and yet it still managed to make Chaos Header feel like a constant threat they had to deal with, and of course everything else about the show was on point as well. It even has my favorite song in the franchise
https://youtu.be/fbyiYWUkCgE
(the footage is from the movies, not the show, the very heartfelt English lyrics are in the description)
>>
>finished ep20 of Ultraman
>like, episodes 3-20 in mostly one sitting
Halfway through, it's a good series, not necessarily game-changing but endearing enough to give live-action a try. This would be the first toku series I'll end up finishing at this rate, only got through most of Shinkengers as a kid.
>Godzilla
Uhhh I don't know how you could hate Mechagodzilla (Showa or Millennium) but I liked Hedorah a lot (apparently he's unpopular?), Megalon felt like a side-character sharing the spotlight with Gigan. Can't wait to see Showa Mothra and King Ghidora at some point. Friendly Godzilla has definitely been THE consistent highlight for Showa though.
>>22572106
>upbeat
I think I was told Kamen Rider Fourze was very cheery, intentional so as to cheer people up from a deadly earthquake? I was politely asked not to make fun of it, because it was doing its best to be uplifting. Was just reminded of that for some reason.
>I'm just saying it was a limit on the type of stories the show could tell. But the show was fantastic even with that limit
I forgot about Fourze and assumed all Ultras would have a similar gravity, maybe jarring wasn't necessarily the right word, I agree about the limitations though.
>semi-sentient space virus
>transform them into violent berserk Chaos forms, which was obviously big trouble for an Ultra that wanted to save kaiju.
>managed to make Chaos Header feel like a constant threat
This sounds intriguing.. there's a certain emotional revulsion you'd only feel towards a thing that forced you to kill a once-innocent being
>my favorite song in the franchise
>very heartfelt English lyrics
>Something You Can Do
This sounds really endearing and personal, but I should ultra sleep and take my time to properly register and appreciate this song (without crying). Sorry Digi anon, I'll listen to and respond about this song later today or early tomorrow, hope you have an ultra day!
>>
File: ;_;.webm (3.67 MB, 482x360)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB WEBM
>>22572207
What do the human cast of the Godzilla movies end up doing anyway? Having not watched many kaiju movies, they seem like they'd be lame whenever the monsters aren't onscreen, but that's just the impression I get

>assumed all Ultras would have a similar gravity,
There are darker shows and lighter shows. Or rather there used to be. None of the recent stuff feels like it gets as dark as Leo, Tiga, Dyna, Gaia or Nexus could be. There is stuff that feels more mature though, like I wouldn't call Blazar "dark" per se but it does have the kind of awkward workplace comedy that's best appreciated as an adult (along with the MC actually being the team captain and a married father having to juggle responsibility to his team, his family, and to his duty as Ultraman Blazar)

>there's a certain emotional revulsion you'd only feel towards a thing that forced you to kill a once-innocent being
The cast goes through that phase but Cosmos is the kind of show that is so idealistic that they even end up trying to save Chaos Header by the end. They usually do find a way to purify kaiju that have been infected too. Usually. The virus does evolve and adapt to their methods, so there's some escalation.

Sleep well anon; I hope you get your schedule in order if you live in the western hemisphere, sheesh
>>
File: he's so cool.png (1.85 MB, 1441x1080)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB PNG
Finished Tekkaman Blade and it was awesome! The only issue I had was with the animation quality in the first half, but the ending more than made up for it. Cute scenes with the original cast too.
Blade easily became my favorite mecha design! I just wish they went a bit harder on the biomecha visuals...
I don't know what they gave for the VAs, but they were all insane! Toshiyuki Morikawa breaking the studio's mic with his Voltekka was such a hyped moment, but for me, Takehito Koyasu stole the show, Evil is probably one of his best roles by far.
Also, is it worth it to watch season 2? I never saw anyone talk about it.
>>
>>22572742
Yeah it was a good show. I feel like it was never really well animated and just had extremely sporadic sakuga. But yeah, the writing's too good for me to care
As far as Blade II goes, I didn't watch it but I did play SRW W, where it seemed like the goofy, light-hearted sequel to a really tragic work, the Kamen Rider Black RX if you will. Didn't really seem like my thing and I really don't like the idea of Blade surviving, but the protagonist was cute
>>
File: k-kakkoii.png (1.57 MB, 1440x1080)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>22572841
>goofy, light-hearted sequel to a really tragic work
Yeah, that's what it seems like to me, it's just 6 episodes so I'll check it later. I still have to watch the small ovas.
I'm fine with Blade surviving but being stuck in a wheelchair without memories, reminds me of Saint Seiya and I like Heaven Chapter.
>>
Megalon, 73
>humans are likable and somewhat competent, reminded me of Kamen Rider
>Megalon's rather cute and helpless, Gigan is there because you must get two movies' worth for its suit
>spotlight seems to fall on Jet Jaguar who grows sentient
>he and Godzilla are friends
Hedorah, 71
>humans are moreso there for exposition at first
>Hedorah is actually pretty powerful and gives Godzilla some trouble
>Godzilla tries to come to a peaceful understanding at first with his gestures
>depressing pro-environmentalism, some trippy or animated bits that were fine
>humans set up a science thing to weaken Hedorah
>it does not actually work in time, but Godzilla makes it work with his atomic breath
>later on he lures Hedorah back to the science thing so the humans can use it again
>a fuse blows out and Godzilla just looks ANNOYED before making the thing work himself
Mechagodzilla, 74
>bigger human cast, expedition woo
>Friend Godzilla's wrecking shit for some reason
>its good friend Anguirus starts fighting it, strangely enough
>it was fucking Mechagodzilla, fren Anguirus tried fighting his friend's impostor
>subsequently revealed that Anguirus called the real Godzilla about this
>Godzilla may have tried a peaceful resolution with MG also
>monkey aliens vs expedition people, except cool-ass Interpol comes out of nowhere, thank you human cast
>King Caesar looks a bit dopey, the old priest kept going between wanting it awakened, wanting it to destroy the Japanese oppressors, wanting to be left alone, etc
>sadly Mechagodzilla wasn't really sentient
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, 2002
>Godzilla's the bad one and Mechagodzilla's the good sentient piloted mech
>likable cast but it's obviously more human-centric with them building Mechagodzilla
>it was more fun than Showa but the Showa movies are easier to be fond of
>>22572340
>What do the human cast of the Godzilla movies end up doing anyway?
Figuring out what the monster is, giving us some exposition, maybe some fight scenes
>>
File: Godzilla love.jpg (199 KB, 1181x879)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>22572340
The song was heartfelt and great, thank you! A good message for hopeful children, and still hopefully applicable today...
The human cast is actually likable if you give them a chance, provided the movie still remains Godzilla-centric instead of pulling a Michael Bay on you.
>the MC actually being the team captain and a married father having to juggle responsibility to his team, his family, and to his duty as Ultraman Blazar
Yeah, this sounds like it's for people who already grew up with Ultraman...
>the kind of show that is so idealistic that they even end up trying to save Chaos Header by the end.
;_;
This actually sounds amazing... fucking love me friendship power and enemies turning into friends. Is Kinnikuman /m/? I'll keep an eye out for any threads once the Revival starts.
>sleep schedule
Yeah uh, I'm in the west..

>>22572742
I was recommended Tekkaman Blade but I never got around to it... if you like biomecha stuff, I heard Genocyber might be good to watch after, it looks a bit too scary for me though.
>>22572940
>that ending
A bit depressing...
>>
File: file.png (1.19 MB, 1441x1080)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>22573164
I think you're going to like it. The story is sad and deals with a lot of self-sacrifice but our D-Boy makes it in the end!
Genocyber is the next thing I'm going to watch! And yeah, I heard it's one of the most violent anime there is. (Not sure if it's true)
>>
File: Black Getter HQ.webm (3.84 MB, 640x480)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB WEBM
>>22573174
>>22573174
>I think you're going to like it.
I think I'm going to like (You)
>The story is sad and deals with a lot of self-sacrifice but our D-Boy makes it in the end!
I'm just strongly discouraged whenever I see the protag get shat on, even if I know things are going to be okay
>Genocyber is the next thing I'm going to watch!
Ahhh we've talked before, you're the one who recommended it!
>And yeah, I heard it's one of the most violent anime there is. (Not sure if it's true)
I think MD Geist was sometimes called that, but maybe it was Genocyber..? I mean, I love Getter but I don't really keep tabs of what stuff is going to be ultra-violent
>me asking my friend for more stuff to watch with Getter-levels of psychopathic slaughter
You might like Getter Robo Armageddon if you haven't seen it, although I'm partial to New Getter Robo myself. I love supers...
>>
File: depressed-boy.png (860 KB, 1441x1080)
860 KB
860 KB PNG
>>22573183
Chu!
Everyone loves D-Boy, but he doesn't realize...
From the few scenes I saw of Genocyber, I think only Shoujo Tsubaki can go toe to toe with it. Unless there's more gorey old anime out there I don't know about.
Armageddon is the only Getter anime I watched, yet! The Black Getter was really cool.
>>
File: Spagetter.jpg (518 KB, 2048x1536)
518 KB
518 KB JPG
Forgot to link a cute MV my friend found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppzr4hFQrxs
The song is Sinking Town by Kurahashi Yoeko
>>22573195
Chu!
>Everyone loves D-Boy, but he doesn't realize...
That's so sad... at least he has a caring /m/ommy by his side, from the looks of it.
>D stands for D-pressed
And I haven't heard of Shoujo Tsubaki, I still don't know that much about Showa, other than "wow there's stuff from there that's still really good and holds up well". Anything super gory I try to remember, I realize that no, it was actually 3D. I'm getting to the point of caring about what year or era things came out, but not yet at the point where I know the year for everything and all of its influences. But I now get that if you love something enough, you might end up looking into the historical and technical aspects of things as well.
>The Black Getter was really cool.
Ack, you mentioned that, sorry for forgetting... I just woke up.. New Getter's only 13 episodes, and Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo's only 4, might be neat to watch at some point!
>>
>>22573207
Nobody cares about your friend.
>>
>>22573210
I care about my friend
>>
>>22573164
>Yeah, this sounds like it's for people who already grew up with Ultraman
Blazar is in kind of a weird spot when it comes to that, because while it has that adult oriented take on things, it's also the first show in like two decades to not be stuffed full of crossovers and throwbacks and messy continuity. That's why I and others keep bringing it up despite there being a show airing every year for the past 12 years. Literally all of those shows (Ginga, Ginga S, X, Orb, Geed, R/B, Taiga, Z, Trigger, Decker) had prior Ultras appearing, had form changes based on prior Ultras, starred a son of a prior Ultra, billed itself as a new generation version of a prior show, brought back the same kaijus we've seen a gorillion times, etc

Blazar doesn't do any of this. The show doesn't even imply Ultras besides Blazar exist. So it's kind of for older fans and at the same time kind of not
>>
>>22573207
Shoujo Tsubaki or Midori is that one anime that was animated by one person and then got banned for being too gory.
I'll try to watch everything Getter related after finishing the manga. But after Genocyber and Patlabor, I'll take a break from mecha.
>>
>>22573218
>stuffed full of crossovers and throwbacks and messy continuity
A simple show for dads and kids to watch without getting confused (mom can watch too)
>starred a son of a prior Ultra, billed itself as a new generation version of a prior show, brought back the same kaijus we've seen a gorillion times, etc
Geez... if we don't watch them chronologically, maybe Blazar can be next? Also, buddy looked into Shin Ultraman and it seems horrendous
>no Baltans or top fan favourites
>Ultramen are the true bad

>>22573221
Solely one person? What a powerhouse...
>I'll try to watch everything Getter related after finishing the manga.
That is QUITE the project, I'm curious how you'll find them!
>But after Genocyber and Patlabor, I'll take a break from mecha.
Wait, why a break from mecha... much like the fight of justice against evil, mecha is unending...
>>
>>22573150
Yeah the Mechagodzilla movies do sound more fun. It's kinda weird hearing about kaiju alliances, like they have their own super team or something. At that point I think you've humanized them a bit too much maybe
>>
>>22573232
Because of that Midori is considered a cult classic nowadays. It's very much a passion project!
Hehe~ Only if you use legal methods.
I like to take breaks from genres so I don't get bored halfway through. I'll probably check out Ace wo Nerae after I'm done with Genocyber.
>>
>>22573232
>if we don't watch them chronologically, maybe Blazar can be next?
Chronologically isn't really the best idea for Ultra anyway. The next show after the original show is Ultraseven, which is a bonafide classic and better than the original show (it focuses almost entirely on alien invasion plots, which tend to be more interesting than just the "kaiju randomly attacks, team has to stop it" type episodes you see in the original show). But after Ultraseven the next actual good show is Tiga, which aired three decades later. None of the shows in between come anywhere close
>>
>>22573233
The modern ones are definitely going to have an advantage for faster action and bigger pyrotechnics or special effects, but when all's said and done I'd still take Godzilla cat-pawing the air to try befriending a kaiju over any fancy stuff any day.
>It's kinda weird hearing about kaiju alliances, like they have their own super team or something. At that point I think you've humanized them a bit too much maybe
They're certainly still forces of nature, and I haven't seen any actual human beings be buddy-buddy with Godzilla up front. But like
>guy's clearing out snakes in a pond in the orangutan area
>a worried orangutan comes along and reaches its hand out for the guy in the scary snake area
Ofc you can humanize animals/monsters/fictional characters a bit TOO much, but I think it's fine to have some kaiju be a bit cooperative or concerned. I think some brain scan implied that elephants view humans as cute? I don't know.
Godzilla is friend!
>>
File: 1683830701106289.png (1.94 MB, 1863x3307)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
>>22573251
>Because of that Midori is considered a cult classic nowadays. It's very much a passion project!
Anything that someone pours their heart into is worth watching, right..?
>Hehe~ Only if you use legal methods.
No I meant it's a lot of shows, silly!
>I like to take breaks from genres so I don't get bored halfway through. I'll probably check out Ace wo Nerae after I'm done with Genocyber.
That's fair.. how long do your breaks last? I want to hear about you watching more stuff...
I've been watching mecha near-exclusively for like, the past 5 years or so, I'll never be bored of robots ever ever.
>Ace wo Nerae
I can't remember if you've seen Gunbuster, think it references/homages Ace but I'm not that familiar with Ace.
>>22573252
>Ultraseven
I've heard worrying things about what the science team sometimes does. Nothing specific, because spoilers, but that they've done extremely concerning things such that it makes you wonder why Ultraman bothers protecting them as a species.
>the next actual good show is Tiga, which aired three decades later. None of the shows in between come anywhere close
Not even the "Ultraman, but his mom and dad are there too for some reason" show? It looked cute...
>>
>>22573266
That's the main thing that made me not drop it, even if it's not something you like, you have to respect how much love it was poured into.
Hmm... No idea. I don't know what I'm going to watch after Ace. I still have to finish the Vampire Hunter D manga too...
Never watched Gunbuster but I know it's a mecha classic. Re Cutie Honey left a bad Gainax after-taste that hasn't been washed since...
>>
>>22573266
>but that they've done extremely concerning things such that it makes you wonder why Ultraman bothers protecting them as a species.
Yeah. In an episode or two. That's part of being an interesting show, it has to sometimes go places like that.

>"Ultraman, but his mom and dad are there too for some reason"
You mean Taro? Taro was alright, I did think it was the best show that aired between Seven and Tiga. My problem with it is just that it tried to be this wacky insane show where ridiculous nonsense like kaijus conducting an orchestra happens, but it couldn't maintain the insanity throughout a lot of its runtime and had one too many out of place darker episodes
>>
File: file.png (2.02 MB, 1920x1080)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB PNG
>there's a kikaiju that looks and has the strength/armaments of a super robot
>it's for fucking Viscount Pygman's rebellion
I really don't like hating characters but I'm beginning to wonder if this is one I can allow myself to hate, or at least "appreciate in that I have someone I can root against without constraint". Or maybe he's just the Oskar von Reuenthal of Mazinger villains.
>>22573277
>That's the main thing that made me not drop it, even if it's not something you like, you have to respect how much love it was poured into.
Yeah, whenever creator's are loving or passionate, it's rather infectious, even if you weren't really into it
>Hmm... No idea. I don't know what I'm going to watch after Ace. I still have to finish the Vampire Hunter D manga too...
I'm supposed to finish Sailor Moon, maybe Cutie Honey if you wanted something that's only technically mecha, and feels closer to magical girls?
>Never watched Gunbuster but I know it's a mecha classic. Re Cutie Honey left a bad Gainax after-taste that hasn't been washed since...
Was Re that bad... I'll put it this way: despite whatever non-positive feelings I had about Anno about Evangelion, he salvaged himself solidly into "he can still be a good director" territory with Gunbuster. The ending is still considered one of THE most emotional endings in anime, worth a watch... Diebuster's alright, some didn't like it, I thought it was fine, just a completely different mood from Gunbuster though. Like, Gunbuster starts and ends with this song iirc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bReOxVkHVLc
Right in the feels...
>>22573285
>it has to sometimes go places like that.
Does it..
Maybe it was Taro, I know that's another big(?) name, Kinnikuman Nisei's named after him I think.
>kaijus conducting an orchestra
Oh, it's that kind of show-
>one too many out of place darker episodes
Make up your mind, Taro!
>>
File: CuteyRobot.png (618 KB, 728x1065)
618 KB
618 KB PNG
>>22573295
I already watched and read every available Cutie Honey animanga... The only ones missing are Mazinger Angels and Tennyo Densetsu, the latter never being fully translated...
Re is by far the most popular series but for me, it's not Cutie Honey! It's more like beta Kill la Kill than anything.
>>
File: 1659037270219083.jpg (634 KB, 1271x1821)
634 KB
634 KB JPG
>>22573316
You are too powerful... I only read the OG and Mazinger Angels.
>for me, it's not Cutie Honey!
What's peak Cutie Honey, then? The manga was a bit short and underwhelming compared to the praise the franchise gets, the og show is ok so far? I don't think I've captured its essence yet.
>beta Kill la Kill
That's fair, I did like Kill La Kill but I get how that'd leave an odd taste. I should try focusing on Cutie Honey after finishing Mazinger Z, I can't get enough of that blonde hair. Even in black and white form she's too pretty. Picrel is from Mazinger Zero, definitely worth the read, albeit I didn't know a lot of Nagai characters or franchises at the time, think her appearances here and in Mazinger Angels went over my head..
>>
>>22573331
Every adaptation feels different: 73 tones down the violence and nudity, Shin focuses more on the fighting and pretty animation, Flash is a shoujo, and Universe tries to be as close as possible to the manga, even with the dumb changes to the story.
But the thing that bothers me is, that every adaptation still FEELS like Cutie Honey; she transforms into a different outfit every episode, and most of the characters still have the same personality. But Re changes everything, Honey barely transforms and every character is basically an OC. I'll never forgive them for what they did to Sister Jill!!
>>
File: file.png (1.61 MB, 1086x950)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
>>22573368
I was literally going to post the pic you just posted... there's not that much fanart I like, I just want regular Kisaragi Honey..
73 doesn't feel lacking in any department, so I guess I'm in for more treats with the other versions I watch, Shin sounds particularly promising! Uhhh what were the dumb changes, I don't remember much about the manga other than the poor supporting characters all getting killed. I didn't even particularly like any of the teachers, but I still felt bad. Or do you mean Universe made dumb changes?
>every adaptation still FEELS like Cutie Honey; she transforms into a different outfit every episode
Right, you always get "sometimes a brave firefighter, sometimes a reclusive lumberjack, but her true identity is..!" that fun little speech.
>barely transforms
>all the helpful supporting characters are gone
The teachers and the child sure whatever, but she still had her best friend in the manga, the reporter was pretty consistently brave and helpful, and his dad was somewhat likewise as well. But to throw all of that out... My general rule is "it's all forgivable as long as the writing is good", but
>I'll never forgive them for what they did to Sister Jill!!
I'm a bit worried what happened here...
>>
File: official art.jpg (589 KB, 1280x720)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
>>22573381
All the school side characters are still there and so is the school attack. Some changes are interesting, like Tarantula Panther and Dragon Panther getting mini-arcs. Sister Jill being more obsessed (and gay) with Honey like in the sequel mangas. Still, there are some completely nonsensical changes, like a whole multiverse plot that is probably just an excuse so the animators don't need to draw backgrounds and a scene where everyone becomes Cutie Honey?????
For Re, Seiji is a secret agent disguised as a shady reporter for some reason, and Natsuko is literally an OC, zero similarities besides the name.
Nothing happened... The main villain and second heart of the franchise basically have 2 or so minutes of dialogue...
>>
>>22573266
>Not even the "Ultraman, but his mom and dad are there too for some reason" show?
It occured to me that you were probably actually thinking of Mebius because we talked about it awhile back. Mebius aired in 2006, ten years after Tiga. It's a sequel to showa Ultra, but it's not a part of it. A brief timeline of the showa era, for reference
>1965 Ultra Q airs, Tsuburya brings kaijus to home television where they'd been mostly movies before
>1966 Ultraman airs as a followup to Q, Tsuburya adding a hero character for more marketability
>1967 Ultraseven airs, originally intended as the last Ultra show
>1970 Eiji Tsuburya dies, his son takes over
>1971 Return of Ultraman airs. Retcons Ultraman and Ultraseven into being part of the same timeline. Title does not refer to the original Ultraman character (though it was intended to), show stars an Ultra who looks nearly identical to the original and was simply called "Ultraman." His name would later be retconned into being "Ultraman Jack"
>1972 Ultraman Ace airs. It had an episode taking a potshot at Kamen Rider, which began airing the same year
>1973 Ultraman Taro airs. The first post-Mazinger Ultra, and also the first Ultra to call attacks and there's also a mecha which looks like the hover pilder and the team helmets look kinda like Kouji's helmet. Hiroya Ishimaru even voices Taro in all his appearance after the show
>1974 Ultraman Leo airs. Bombs hard and puts the franchise on ice for a few years
>1979 The Ultraman airs. An anime series. Due to having garbage subs, I didn't watch it. It's not referenced much later on anyway
>1980 Ultraman 80 airs but did poorly due to having a teacher protagonist during a juvenile delinquency crisis and toku in general not being popular. Shows obvious Star Wars influence in its SFX
>1984 Ultraman Story is released, retcons Taro's backstory for all of his later appearance. There also a compilation film released that is the first instance of the "Ultraman Jack" name being used
>>
>>22573401
>official art
Wew..
>those lil weirdo guys getting mini-arcs
Yeah, it felt a bit difficult to get attached to them if they were dying immediately. Think I was in the middle of Tarantula Panther's ep.
I didn't know Sister Jill leaned that way, I thought she leaned solely towards being evil.
>multiverse because reasons
>everyone becomes Cutie Honey?????
I don't understand... I don't want to understand...
>Seiji is a secret agent disguised as a shady reporter for some reason, and Natsuko is literally an OC, zero similarities besides the name.
Seiji sounds potentially cool, although I don't know why his cover is so conspicuous, but poor Natsuko.
>The main villain and second heart of the franchise basically have 2 or so minutes of dialogue...
Oh.....

>>22573463
Uhhh it might have been Mebius? I'll forward this information though, this is good to know, thank you!
>>
File: 1700376146277565.png (1.59 MB, 1440x1080)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
>>22567949
>>22568006
This show is kinda weird but it was awesome. They don't make them like this anymore.
>>
>>22573467
Taro and Mebius are the only two shows to feature the Mother of Ultra in any meaningful way, so it's one of them, and I never talked to you about Taro before now. You might want to check what I wrote about Taro on that timeline though. I think you'll find it relevant
>>
>>22573479
I'm really glad you enjoyed it (both seasons?), it's a special gem.
>>22573481
Yeah, calling out its attacks sounds something right up my alley. Didn't really register beforehand that Kamen Rider and Mazinger would be moreso rivals competing against the Ultraman franchise, rather than, you know, them all being friends or something. I suppose they're all friends now though, hopefully.
>Koji voices Taro
Woah..!! That's actually pretty cool...
>>
File: Gigan shock.png (216 KB, 600x600)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
Godzilla vs Gigan, 72
>Gigan has a cool design and could be really fun, but loses the spotlight to literally the most popular Godzilla villain of the time, and then later a statue of the most popular Godzilla of the time
>human protag is somewhat likable but every subsequent character is less and less interesting, with no children despite the premise being about a children's amusement park
>even Hedorah had 2-3 fights with Godzilla dispersed throughout the movie, but aside from the military bullying Anguirus, there's only one long fight at the end where it's moreso centered on King Ghidorah, and most of the movie was just about the humans
>King Ghidorah gets a longer beatdown, he's quite good friends with Gigan even after being freed for some reason, and they leave together
Even while wanting to look more at Gigan, I kept admiring the quality of King Ghidorah compared to the other suits (Gigan includd). The only substantial merit was Godzilla and Anguirus being friends: you get cute speech bubbles of them talking and planning things out (which is later dropped in the movie, even when you see them planning and coordinating some attack) and even them leaving together. It's not a bad or unenjoyable movie, but compared to movies both before and after, my disappointment is immeasurable. Did Gigan ever feature as the main, well, anything in any film? Or was he always just a side attraction, because man.
>apparently there's people out there who will shit on the Hedorah and Megalon movies over this one
>>
>>22573483
It was a pretty surreal experience for me watching these shows in order, seeing the original show and thinking "a-ha, Mazinger stole these ideas," and then also Ultraseven for "wow, they had combining robots even in the 1960s, also is this where Pokemon came from?" and then as soon as Mazinger airs, the shoe is already on the other foot with Ultraman stealing from Mazinger before Mazinger is even finished. I guess that's what happens when you become shameless enough to bring back a franchise that's supposed to be finished
>>
>>22573640
>stealing from each other as you both improve
This is how camaraderie or the worst bitter rivals are formed
>I guess that's what happens when you become shameless enough to bring back a franchise that's supposed to be finished
Wait I thought you liked Ultraman... I don't mind revivals of dying/dead franchises, unless it had a good run and ending and should have remained dead.
>>22573401
Also I finished building the Gundam! Messed up the antenna a bit, since I thought I could do that "it's easy but the newer kits baby people too much" antenna sharpening bit, but a little bit is shaved off of one end. I'd like to come up with some sort of backstory so I don't get inconsolable, but it's a very dynamic kit. Neither the franchise or the mech were my favourite, but it's too dynamic and expressive not to like. Fun to fiddle around with and pose around, more dynamic and stress-free than Mazinger (who's like 4 times his price). The Gundam is fun! Hope you'll build something fun too!
>>
File: Gigan progression.jpg (352 KB, 2000x1020)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
>there's some JP novel-only Gigan story of how it was doing its best protecting humanity against Godzilla again and again and again
>somewhere else is developing Mechagodzilla or whatever, but this Gigan they found is their main or sole defense so far
>soldiers are willingly risking their lives to give it covering fire because of how beloved it's become
>has its limbs replaced over time, scythe arms, eyes with visor... but eventually replaced more and more and practically a robot at that point, protag is just praying to God and Godzilla to let Gigan die and be able to rest, which it eventually does
Apparently there's some neat novel-only stories, was told about it because of how cool and endearing Gigan is despite being fucking robbed of the spotlight in his OWN FUCKING MOVIE.
>>22573640
>got to the Jamila ep in Ultraman, former spaceman left for dead by his country, has come back as a monster (understandably) hating humanity
>reminded of poor cosmonaut Komarov
>it already has a gross design, but thinking it was once human makes me physically uncomfortable
>the plotline is expectedly depressing and it's difficult to cheer anyone on
>Ide, the silly and jolly airhead scientist is the one most appalled and affected by this, and outright morally objects
>end of ep, Jamila at least gets a grave and memorial
>the funny haha silly gag character remains unmoving at Jamila's memorial plaque
>despite repeated calls from various friends, Ide remains completely unmoving
;_;
>>
>>22573901
yep, the Jamila episode is the best one in the show, mixed up with Jirahs yesterday. Fucking Akio Jissoji man. Those shots where everyone's framed by darkness with only a single spotlight to illuminate the scene are incredibly haunting, like something out of a torture interrogation scene from a spy movie
Ide should have been the protagonist, like I get why you might want an Everyman blank skate type guy, but Ide is the one carrying the show

Part of why everything between Ultraseven and Tiga is lame is because none of the shows have a good cast, all the characters are total bland cardboard. Hell this is actually true of Ultraseven as well; it just has enough cool stuff going on to make up for it. But yeah, it took Ultra 30 years to produce more characters as good as Ide
>>
>>22573738
Nice! I never built any plastic model, I don't think I have the time for any more hobbies...
>>
>>22573945
It was rather haunting, I don't want to think too much about it...
But yeah, you're absolutely right about Ide. I said it was very telling about the show when your favourite EDF isn't the protag, chief, action hero guy, token girl, or literally any endearing archetype, but is instead the literal joke character. If he figures out Hayata is Ultraman, I wouldn't even be mad or surprised. Comparatively Hayata is rather boring...
.it took Ultra 30 years to produce more characters as good as Ide
The cast was that bad..? Oh man, way to go Ide, you broke the mold, I'm proud of you bud!

>>22574323
Never ever? There's cheap and easy Entry Grade stuff for the RX, Strike, and Nu Gundams. Why are you so busy... or maybe you're happily spending a lot of time on the hobbies you have already!
Also uh, did you have a favourite Pokemon trainer-san you post about elsewhere? You remind me of someone else super sweet.
>>
>>22574977
My backlog of anime, manga, and games is too big for me to get into another hobby, I don't have anywhere to put it anyway.
No, I never played pokemon.
>>
>>22575132
Must be quite the backlog.. but at least that's still plenty of things for you to enjoy! As well as new goodies that will be coming out, think you said you'd watch Grendizer U? Or was I mistaken...
Oh... well, you're still very sweet regardless! The false reminder is just a testament of how consistently endearing you are!
>>
>>22575173
I know nothing about Grendizer but it looks cool! I'm pretty hyped for it.
>>
File: Grendizer 2024 hap.jpg (233 KB, 1200x1197)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>22575227
Almost done Mazinger Z, but I don't know if I can finish Great and Grendizer in time for it... it's probably going to revisit some plotpoints and change them up a bit, so I'm a bit bummed out I won't get the maximum experience of knowing what's supposed to happen, and having the proper anticipation or surprise intended... but on the other hand, we can be surprised by this show from start to finish together!
>>
>>22571931
>the Dada one because I really like Dadas
The Dadas were... interesting. I can appreciate a squad of a species on a mission (hitherto unexplained, felt like they were gathering species for a zoo) as an antag, but I'd sooner own a Baltan figure in my home than a Dada. Scary and ugly looking zebramen... Also didn't register that it was one guy with three faces, that's interesting. Fun and appreciable as an antag, but man.. I guess Kinnikuman Zebra's the only zebra-coloured antag I'll tolerate.
>>
File: juggler.png (1.64 MB, 1114x1920)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
>>22574977
>Oh man, way to go Ide, you broke the mold
Ide didn't break the mold; in fact, he kind of created it. A lot of casts from Tiga onwards had characters pretty similar to Ide; Horii in Tiga, Nakajima in Dyna, the protagonist Gamu in Gaia was the R&D scientist guy (though the show was too self-serious for him to be funny), Doigaki in Cosmos, Sean in Max (and Ide's actor himself returns in Max to again play a recurring wisecracking scientist guy who's old friends with the team's commissioner and on-base scientist, who are played by Hayata and Fuji's actors), sorta kinda Teppei in Mebius and the protagonist Daichi in X... Ide had quite the legacy

>>22575282
Yeah, they're weird and unnerving looking, but they're also kinda silly with those big lips and all those breathing holes punched into the mask. I always appreciate a villain I can work either way
The latest appearance of Baltans (which actually occurred a long time ago back in 2005's Max and the Cosmos movie in 2001) tried to make them more sympathetic, but their design kinda just screams "evil alien" so it didn't work as well as it should. The most recent Dada appearance had one trying to throw a Halloween party with a bunch of other aliens but getting scared and lashing out when two Ultramen showed up, and I'm like "you know what, that's fair"
But yeah, if I wanted a figure of an Ultra villain, it'd be Jugglus Juggler from Ultraman Orb. Really cool design, and he was just a highly entertaining character from a great show. Tsuburya knew that too and brought him back to again be a main cast member in Ultraman Z.
>>
>>22575635
>he was that good enough, to have spiritual successors
He is friend...
>Hayata and Fuji return in a sense
That's always cute, a bonus if it's vaguely hinted they might be the same characters from before.
>all those breathing holes punched into the mask
They're always a bit hard not to notice... but I just take them as weird alien/ancient gills, so they're fine.
>tried to make them more sympathetic, but their design kinda just screams "evil alien"
But they're cute... it escorting someone in its debut episode even looked like it was giving someone a careful hug..
>trying to throw a Halloween party with a bunch of other aliens but getting scared and lashing out when two Ultramen showed up, and I'm like "you know what, that's fair"
That's really cute... I hope it ended with the Ultramen acknowledging their mistake and just letting the Dada go, or even helping out with the party. I vaguely know there's some later series with a friendly Dada, on like, speaking terms with Ultraman? Or at least patting him on the shoulder.
>Jugglus Juggler from Ultraman Orb. Really cool design, and he was just a highly entertaining character from a great show. Tsuburya
He reminds me of the serious mystery samurai villain from Shinkengers. Looks a serious character though, maybe noble enough, considering he became a cast member.
>bad guy from prior thing becomes a supporter in next thing
This is always really great!
>>
File: kurenai no ryuseiki.png (982 KB, 946x531)
982 KB
982 KB PNG
>>22575677
>a bonus if it's vaguely hinted they might be the same characters from before.
Sorta...Max feels like the kinda show you'd get if you did a modern day remake of the original show. Just a bunch of *wink wink nudge nudge* references. Predictably, it's at its best when it's doing its own thing. It's weird that they did it like this because Hayata's actor came back to play Hayata himself several times, as early as Taro. He came back as Hayata in the show right after Max even. I definitely prefer that to them beating around the bush like they did in Max

>Looks a serious character though, maybe noble enough, considering he became a cast member.
I mean he already was a cast member, he was the main antagonist in Orb. But, he was only really a main antagonist because he was bitter about the MC gaining the power of Ultraman while he wasn't chosen. After Orb beat him up enough, he was able to let it go and fight for justice... when he thought it would be more fun to do that, he's still kind of a whimsical scumbag
Orb was so much fun. Not only had a great villain, but the absolute best protagonist in the franchise too, he's literally like an Ultra version of Van from Gun X Sword. Vagrant guy that wears a cowboy hat and duster, goes around playing the harmonica, tragic past about a girl he couldn't save. And his name is Gai Kurenai. I don't know what it is about characters named Gai but it always works out
>>
>>22575714
>Max feels like the kinda show you'd get if you did a modern day remake of the original show. Just a bunch of *wink wink nudge nudge* references.
That's cute, can't wait to get to it. And if Hayata came back that often, maybe they were trying to do something different this time? I appreciate the variety.
>Hayata and others still reappear even if they're super old
Cute...
>he was bitter about the MC gaining the power of Ultraman while he wasn't chosen. After Orb beat him up enough, he was able to let it go and fight for justice... when he thought it would be more fun to do that, he's still kind of a whimsical scumbag
Oh, he's one of those people. At worst feels mandatory, or at best is one of the best characters, that kinda guy!
>an Ultra version of Van from Gun X Sword
Yeah, that sounds about right. I don't know why it's fun to have Japanese cowboys. Just another good old Rawhide Kobayashi.
>I don't know what it is about characters named Gai but it always works out
It really does!
>>
The fates of Ramba Ral, Lady Hamon and Ryu makes me feel a certain kinda way.
>>
File: glad max wasnt longer.png (813 KB, 717x533)
813 KB
813 KB PNG
>>22575755
>can't wait to get to it
Well, true to the original, it has about the same proportion of really interesting episodes to kinda bland ones where they just stop a monster and that's about it
I've been making a list of standout episodes as I go through these shows for little bro who has more trouble with episodic shows than I do. For Max, my favorite was 15, and 22 and 37 are also fantastic. There's like 15 shows between the original and Max, so if you want to give Max a quick sample, you could go with those. I also liked 31, and it's probably the one that shows off the actors from the original show the most. 33-34 is a two parter with the last big appearance of the Baltans in the franchise, and they got a better sendoff than the original show gave them.

But yeah the show after Max, Mebius, felt like the better throwback. Since it was a direct sequel it ended up building on the stuff from the old shows where Max just kind of regurgitated
>>
>built 1/144 Gundam but slightly surprised when 1/144 Mazinger Z towers over it, because same scale must mean same size
I'm dumb..
>>22575767
Watch these when you're feeling less bummed out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4
https://files.catbox.moe/84vosn.mp4
>>22575782
>list of standout episodes
I know X-Files had a list for "plot-relevant, non-plotrelevant but really good" etc episodes that I used when 11 seasons felt like a lot. I'd be hard-pressed to make that kind of list for Mazinger, since nothing ever screamed "shit or unnecessary mundane episode", not even the Pygman ones. I'll forward the Max eps, particularly the beloved Baltans!
Mebius is still a silly name... Mebi they could have come up with a better name, haha.
>>
>>22575796
Yeah Mazinger's really good
I think Ultraman's generally a little less consistent since most shows don't have a main antagonist or a plot to tie everything together, so you could have one episode be about some dumb kid finding a fish that grows into a kaiju, and then the next episode could be about a monster in a dream world that's keeping everyone from sleeping and causing weird illusions throughout the city. I know which of the two I find more interesting, and this is a big franchise, so it felt warranted

I'm also keeping track of a few other things like how good each protagonist is and how effective each defense team is. Surprisingly there's not much correlation between how useful the team is and how much I like the show
>>
>>22575796
>built 1/144 Gundam but slightly surprised when 1/144 Mazinger Z towers over it

TV Mazinger "should" be the same size as something like the RX-78 but IIRC they later increased it from 18 to 24-25m for stuff like Shin and Infinity.
>>
File: GM mirror.png (1.69 MB, 1440x1080)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>22575808
So are you!
I actually like the variety, didn't mind the sound of "Twilight Zone/X-Files before either of them" Ultra Q either. Some premises are going to be dogshit but there's going to be so specifically weird that it's uniquely endearing.
>Surprisingly there's not much correlation between how useful the team is and how much I like the show
Yeah, that feels like it would be a major factor for me, but there's so much more crucial stuff that determines the enjoyability of a show (like its actual writing). I love helpful Borot and Aphrodite but they certainly weren't "useful" enough to score kills in what's still a great show.
From talking about Ultra variety, remembered the depressing-ass Woo episode though.
>child likely dies of hypothermia while being wrongly blamed and pursued
>Woo implied to be parental/connected disappears
>like a 20 second shot of the unmoving child
>but then everyone cheerily assumes that the child and monster are okay and the episode ends
>>22575810
RX's head only gets up to Infinitism Z's waist, I got them to do a very awkward handshake once, but it's otherwise awkward to have them do anything together. Aside from Gyan there's no Gundam-mate for him to play with, and he's probably the shortest non-SD kit I have. Almost tempted to pick up a Revive Guncannon (I was considering getting him as an Ideon stand-in if I finished Ideon) just so he's less lonely...
>>
>>22575824
Yeah, I was just telling you about how much I liked Orb and Orb doesn't even really have a "team." Like it does have a group with an acronym (SSP, the 'Something Search People'), but they're a few tornado chasing dorks that run a cryptozoology blog, not the usual paramilitary force that most shows have. It makes sense with the kind of character Gai is.

Anyway, sounds like you're getting closer to the end. Have you noticed Ide building more powerful guns? I liked that the original show had that bit of continuity towards the end
>>
Finished Metallic Rouge last night, awesome stuff! I find it unique that the main villain's motives for everything was just entertainment value, it's been too long since we had a main antagonist that self centered. Probably needed another episode to have Rouge fight all those Bulbheads at the end, but oh well, still fantastic and best anime of the season. Bones has earned its redemption arc. This morning I finished Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc, all of the issues season 1 had ramped up, everyone is still annoying, too many "that should have killed him" ass pulls, and snail pacing. So horrible. Ufotable reminds us all why they're a bigger cancer on the medium than Trigger.
>>
File: Its smug aura mocks me.png (364 KB, 505x380)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
I was not expecting to like Yatterman as much as I am, but I'm not complaining.
It's like the Pokemon anime that focuses on Team Rocket which I always wanted. Yatterman 1 and 2 also have a pretty funny crackhead energy to them.
>>
Finished Gunparade March earlier, was very disappointed in the second half. The pacing went to a screeching haunt, the characters never got better, barely any action, and thr world building stopped. Very meh overall. I'll check out Gunparade Orchestra at some point, but not for a while.
>>
>>22577918
>halt
Autocorrect is messed up.
>>22575824
Classic picture.
>>
File: GM Powered.jpg (1.08 MB, 2894x4093)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Watched some Redman, what a fucking psychopath.
>>22575838
Finished Ultraman, did notice the ramping up with the guns from poor Ide, who gets a heartwarming encouragement episode. Poor Seabozu though, glad a show this early actually acknowledges the relative innocence of some of these kaiju just literally living their lives that only happen to threaten humanity. If Ultraman died at the end of the show, I would have been upset, although it's a bit odd that people didn't notice anything about Hayata waking up in the middle of nowhere, and depressing that he remembers nothing even though he was conscious as himself throughout the show(?)

Are those weird Ultraman Pokemon movie(s) good? Friend is curious about them separately, although we're probably watching Ultraseven, just unsure about anything short and fun inbetween without still staying in the like, the 60s. Also Shin Ultraman sounds fucking terrible
>endearing Mefilas gets a neat arc but is completely redesigned to look generic instead of a fatass
>no Baltans
>Ultramen are evil
uhh Anno?
>>22577919
It's one of my favourites
>>
File: what do we even do here.png (1.46 MB, 1198x899)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
I read a manga I never heard of called Electroid Zaborger. Only got scanlated like 2 months ago. It wasn't super interesting, very typical 70s work, not a hidden gem by any means. It was weird though, the character designs were crap, but the panelling was pretty good; the action always made sense
Also finished Ultraman Z, it was alright. I just thought there'd be more to it. >>22576200

>>22578513
It was very nice to have the team actually react to how ineffective they are and do something about it. A bunch of later shows don't do this
>Are those weird Ultraman Pokemon movie(s) good?
I don't really know what you're talking about. I did skip a lot of movies. The only ones I did watch and thought were really good were the first two Zero movies (Ultra Galaxy Legends, Zero vs Belial Empire). These two movies are kind of required for a ton of shows that aired after them. Ultraman Zero cameos in later shows all the fucking time. It's annoying even if he is a fun character
Anyway, I think you should watch Blazar next. You saw how Ultra started, and now you should see where it is today and decide if you're still cool with it
>>
>>22578691
>It was very nice to have the team actually react to how ineffective they are and do something about it. A bunch of later shows don't do this
I liked the children's drawing one, Seabozu, and Mefilas episodes a lot, but the second Pigmon one with Ide's struggle might be my #1 favourite. I wouldn't say anyone in the show had character development per se, but it was nice to see Ide struggle with what you described, as well as overcome it. Sweet of Hayata to remember and cite the number of times that the team helped Ultraman out a lot. The only other time I can remember a character expressing such helplessness was in The Big O. And I guess SSSS Gridman, but the Big O did it better.
>I don't really know what you're talking about.
Apparently there's something that's like
>kaiju-sized Baltan might send out a human-sized Pigmon
>kaiju-sized Woo sends out a human-sized Baltan
and it's just battles in that manner?
>Ultraman Zero cameos in later shows all the fucking time. It's annoying even if he is a fun character
I get what you mean but it's endearing that you put it this way.
>Blazar
>see how it's gotten
With the robot dino! I'll relay the suggestion, 25 episodes is shorter than OG Ultraman.
>>
File: Windom.jpg (56 KB, 500x500)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>22578726
>>kaiju-sized Baltan might send out a human-sized Pigmon
Well I know the Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster battle show was the opposite of this, with human sized characters sending out kaiju to fight for them. But yeah, it's a TV show, and it was kind of a boring one at that. It was extremely low budget, kinda like Redman where they just fought out in some rocky wilderness the entire show and the only other set was the team spaceship. I only watched it because the first Zero movie was supposed to be the movie tie-in to that show, but Zero himself doesn't appear at all in the show, and the characters from the show end up being almost irrelevant in the movie. That movie actually does bring back the Monster Graveyard from the Seabozu episode; first time we'd seen it since that episode IIRC

>25 episodes is shorter than OG Ultraman
It's also half the length of Ultraseven. Ultraseven actually does have its own robot dino, but you only see it like 2-3 episodes. It's supposed to be under Dan's control, but they kinda forget he has it. You see it a lot more in Mebius (they adapted Seven's capsule monsters for their own use) and Z (in this show it was a robot built and piloted by the team) than you do in Ultraseven
>>
Depressing-ass episode, but only two left for Mazinger Z
>>22578742
Apparently I misunderstood a bit about the Pokemon thing, and it might be what you described
>not much of a tie-in
Low budget... but was the show at least endearing
>That movie actually does bring back the Monster Graveyard from the Seabozu episode; first time we'd seen it since that episode IIRC
Ohh! Well, that's good at least.
>only a few eps of robot dino and the show forgets about it
Hopefully it at least shines the few times it does show up. Can't get me enough robot dinos
>it's just Windam from Rayearth
>>
>>22580291
There's honestly not much reason to watch UGMMB unless you want to see Gomora act like a pro wrestler and beat up a bunch of other kaiju. I guess the team in it is also really strong; they blew up an entire pack of kaiju with one attack. Twice. But this is very much what I was referring to when I said there wasn't much correlation between how strong the team is and how good the show is. There's just not much else to it
Just watch the UGMMB movie. Not right away though, unless you want to get swamped under a bunch of Ultras you don't know. You should probably at least watch Mebius before you watch that movie. Honestly the movie has more to do with Mebius than UGMMB despite supposedly being a tie-in for the latter
>>
>>22580356
Oh, well alright. The concept seemed cute at least.
>swamped under a bunch of Ultras you don't know
Please no, I'll die
And alright, I'll relay the suggestion for Mebius, looks a friendly enough guy
>>
>>22580390
Well don't forget Mebius is a sequel to all of these shows >>22573463 (except Ultra Q and the anime)
You don't really need to have watched any of them to understand Mebius, but I think you lose something if you don't see at least a few of them. The most relevant one to the plot is Taro since that's basically the only one of those shows that drops any kind of lore on the Ultras. Leo and 80 are the ones that get really heartfelt tribute episodes, though for both of them they're tributes to the interesting parts of those shows, interesting parts which both shows abandoned about 1/3 of the way through their runtime
I do think Mebius would probably end up being your favorite show, it's easily the most sappy and sentimental Ultra. I get why it's like that (40th anniversary series, the last thing Tsuburya was able to do before declaring bankruptcy and getting bought out by Bandai), but it got a bit much for me
My suggestion remains to watch Blazar, which I liked more and is shorter and requires way less context
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (42 KB, 640x480)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Watched the first episode of Genocyber, and yeah, the title of "most violent anime ever" is very much earned. But I think the most unnerving part was not the violence, but the scenes where the art syle changes drastically, from 2D to 3D, to a more realistic style, and even real-life footage using props.
As much as I liked the biomecha scenes, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they were really into gore...
>>
>>22580921
I gotta relay this, the tributes sound a bit bittersweet with what you've described. I'll give a heartier recommendation for Mebius-
>the last thing Tsuburya was able to do before declaring bankruptcy and getting bought out by Bandai
Oh.
>I do think Mebius would probably end up being your favorite show
>My suggestion remains to watch Blazar
I have to sleep and re-think about this
>>22581995
How was specifically the body horror that I was warned about by (You) and Google...?
I can only watch this with company, it still seems too scary unironically! ;_;
But I believe in you, you can finish this!
>>
Watched the first two MCU Spider-Man movies, going to be honest Tom Holland Spider-Man is the most annoying of the three and these are among the weakest MCU movies. These weren't worth shafting Garfield's third Amazing movie.
>>
>>22582266
Very creepy, and by that I mean very good! A lot of cyborgs ripping their bodies apart and turning into giant mechas.
It is scary, which is why I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...
I certainly will!
>>
>>22582266
Well if I were to compare the two, I liked Blazar more because its characters were quite realistic. Even as early as episode 2 I was watching their interactions and thinking "okay, yeah, I've been there"
With Mebius the cast all kinda feel like anime stereotypes. You might still like them (I did) but it definitely made the show feel a lot more juvenile than a 40 year anniversary throwback series perhaps should have been
>>
>>22582866
That DOES sound pretty cool!
>wouldn't recommend it
But you already did! Best of luck... I'm so close to finished Mazinger Z, I can almost smell it
>>22582940
>realistic and relatable characters
Oh boy, I can't wait for the protagonist to think he can't do anything
>anime stereotypes
This isn't necessarily bad if they're fun, one of those Brave or Trigger archetypes that are predictable but enjoyable as their archtype. Although I guess it's different from an entire show homaging previous shows vs just... having standard archetypes in the 70s.
>>
>>22583729
>>22583729
Hey, I never recommended, I just said I was going to watch it!
Watched the second episode now and this one was far less scary. No jumpscares or creepy faces and no real life props (which was a bummer). The gore also feels less... free, and more focused on making you emotional, too.
>>
>>22583746
Oh... I guess that's fair enough, I'll spare you this time.
>No jumpscares or creepy faces
Reminds me of when I started Betterman, there was a jumpscare like 20 seconds in and I cried and went to bed. (it's a good show, it's a spin-off of GaoGaiGar and becomes relevant later)
>no real life props (which was a bummer)
That sounds a bit trippy to have real stuff mixed in
>more focused on making you emotional, too.
Oh.. is it a sad show? Sometimes I'm in the mood for depressing shows
>pic
What is that! It looks a bit sad
>>
File: Getter Seed Destiny.png (3.78 MB, 3544x2367)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB PNG
Finished Devilman Vs Hades, way less Mazinger content than I would have liked, but it wasn't called Great Mazinger vs Devilman. It was enjoyable, albeit a bit style over substance.
Rewatching New Getter Robo with a friend, and they are not enjoying it compared to Armageddon. Is there anything inspired/homaging Getter, hot-bloodedly screaming and combining against overwhelming odds? I need my angry psychotics destroying evil
>>
>>22583729
>I can't wait for the protagonist to think he can't do anything
Not in that way, I think that's unrelatable, actually. I meant realistic in the sense that while they have distinct personalities, they don't have exaggerated behavior. They're a bunch of friendly but awkward co-workers. See this scene for example (https://https://youtu.be/lV__Nie3VmEj&t=530 you can set JP audio and subs if you prefer) You can tell that while they consider their job important, each of them has something that matters more to them than work or their co-workers as we all do.
This makes the show especially funny given the contrast between the responsible down to earth dad protagonist and his alter ego as Ultraman Blazar, who is a literal unga bunga caveman. See those markings on Blazar's body? They're patterned after tribal tattoos. His finishing move is throwing an energy spear. He's a spear chucker. Just in the first episode you can see him climbing buildings like a monkey and roaring to intimidate the kaiju. Blazar's a pretty comedic show. Mature and adult oriented =/= grim and serious

>>22583990
Pretty much everything that was influenced by Getter took after the Toei anime. It's legitimately difficult to think of anything with an edgy protagonist outside of Dynamic Pro. I hear Gundam Thunderbolt's Io Fleming might fit the bill but I don't know much about Thunderbolt other than it being another OYW thing
>>
File: Genocyber26.jpg (134 KB, 800x600)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>22583754
>Betterman
Those designs...
Yeah, it was really cool! I hope they show up more times.
It's far more sad than I thought it would be. But I'm fine with it!
That's the Genocyber, and pic related is also her.
>>
File: 1695621066460293.jpg (374 KB, 1280x1818)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>22584082
>realistic in the sense that while they have distinct personalities, they don't have exaggerated behavior. They're a bunch of friendly but awkward co-workers.
That's actually a really cute scene, and you can definitely feel the gravity that they treat their jobs with, and then just typical office paperwork bumbling, that's cute
>the responsible down to earth dad protagonist and his alter ego as Ultraman Blazar, who is a literal unga bunga caveman
That is actually amazing, ungabunga's my go-to playstyle
>tribal tattoos
>literal spear chucker
Ungabunga... my friend loves cavemen, I'm sure I'll get a few comments about this post.
>they went for Toei instead
Toei Getter's not horrible from what I saw and remember, but I want the edgy >:D face psychos, Shin Mazinger Zero was good (perhaps a third read is in order, maybe even skip to part 2 with Tetsuya?) but it's insufficient!
>Thunderbolt
Is this the alt UC thing with the stranger designs

>>22584385
What's wrong with the designs? They're pretty (and) fun...
>Yeah, it was really cool! I hope they show up more times.
I hope you do too!
>It's far more sad than I thought it would be. But I'm fine with it!
Reminds me I have to pick up Brigadoon, I heard that gets absolutely miserable.
>pic related is also her.
I get why you went for this after Tekkaman Blade.
>blonde, long hair
She makes it look like it'd be worth braving a few scares and gore and misery.
>>
File: shiro.png (457 KB, 739x559)
457 KB
457 KB PNG
Just finished 08th ms team. Shiro naming the black kid after himself is very funny
>>
File: 5688-1648772356.jpg (49 KB, 720x480)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>22584402
The toothpaste hair just looks silly to me.
I will. /here/ and on that other place too!
>Brigadoon
Oh! I saw that character so many times, but I never knew where he came from.
If you want a sad one, I recommend Witchblade, for huh... reasons.
Elaine is cute, I hope she has a happy ending...
>>
File: Guy and Brigadoon.jpg (121 KB, 550x550)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
HAVE ONE EPISODE OF MAZINGER Z LEFT, LET'S GOOO
>>22584485
Toothpaste??? That's honestly the rudest thing!
>Oh! I saw that character so many times, but I never knew where he came from.
I'll post about it when I start it, which I'll do... eventually...
>I recommend Witchblade, for huh... reasons.
Huh...? Would I like it? It's based on a western comic apparently, but it's not like I hate those
>Elaine is cute
So are you!
>I hope she has a happy ending...
I hope you both do!
>>
Miharu had the biggest death flag I've ever seen and still it got me.
>>
>>22584501
The good old eventually that may or may not ever come... I know that far too well...
It's not mecha, but trust me, I think you're going to like it!
>>
>>22585237
>The good old eventually that may or may not ever come... I know that far too well...
Watching fun shows definitely isn't a chore, but there's so much to watch and prioritize, it's like showing up at a buffet with a million different dishes.
>It's not mecha, but trust me, I think you're going to like it!
Ah, I definitely trust you! I've gotten a lot of good and trusty recommendations from anons so far, apparently it's fairly easy to gauge what sort of things I'd like. Either that, or I'm easily pleased by any sort of robots.
>>
File: file.png (1.68 MB, 1920x1080)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
>put off getting breakfast for two hours, because I didn't want Mazinger Z to be over
>the only torrent for Great has the episode previews in a separate folder, might be just DVD and not BD quality
What an interesting set of decisions...
>actually seems rather dire
>especially combined with the song, it feels like it's Z for once that's going out to fight a losing battle, rather than Diana or Boss
>almost immediately Shiro and Tetsuya both butt heads but also get along, establishing their comfy relationship to come
>no Jun yet for some reason
>Kenzo actually does talk with Yumi a bit
I'm going to assume Great actually does deal with/address "where the fuck were you when I was nearly dying against Dr Hell" when it eventually comes up, but what a show, what a finale.
>>
File: THE GOAT.jpg (155 KB, 1440x1080)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Finished Genocyber and it was very disappointing...
Episode 1 is great, 2 and 3 are okay, 4 and 5 are a mess.
I also tried watching the Patlabor movie, but I don't know, it wasn't for me. I might give it another try some other time.
>>
>>22573266
>I can't remember if you've seen Gunbuster, think it references/homages Ace but I'm not that familiar with Ace.
>99% of gunbuster fans
>>
>>22573295
>despite whatever non-positive feelings I had about Anno about Evangelion, he salvaged himself solidly into "he can still be a good director" territory with Gunbuster. The ending is still considered one of THE most emotional endings in anime, worth a watch
This but with eva. Gunbuster is terrible re telling of ace minis some differences. Anno doesn't know how to make something that's paying homage to a better work without spitting in its face somewhat.
>>
>>22586947
Genocyber's last episodes are what make it more than just gory schlock. Without them, it would just be another MD Geist. Granted I don't know what it was trying to say with all the cult stuff, but at least I felt like it was trying to engage my brain a bit
>>
>>22586947
I'm sorry it was disappointing... you should watch something more fun! Maybe Mazinkaiser if you haven't?
>>22586985
Heh.
>>22586988
Well, we're halfway, despite neither of us knowing anything about Ace.
>>
>my friend did NOT cry at the ending of Gunbuster
Unbelievable.
>>
>>22587479
I didn't cry either, not hard to do when Noriko was an annoying shit head.
>>
>>22587494
Noriko's fine...
>>
I hope your friend dies a gruesome early death. Early as in next week.
>>
Maybe they'll cry at Diebuster and redeem themselves within the week
>>
>>22587751
Why would you cry to Diebuster? It's not that kind of work
>>
>>22587758
Apparently some people teared up at the ending and realizing what was happening. I didn't, but apparently it sometimes happens
>>
>>22587768
It's the exact same ending as Gunbuster, just from Nono's perspective. You're supposed to understand that she's about to finally meet her heroes when the show ends
>>
>>22587804
I kept being vague about Diebuster being a sequel, so hopefully it's a surprise, although I don't think it ever gets as emotional as Gunbuster. It's mostly a lot more fun action typical of Gainax/Trigger
... how can you not tear up at the ending of Gunbuster...
>>
>>22587816
Gunbuster's ending doesn't work without the context of Gunbuster
Diebuster doesn't dwell too much on the actual events of Gunbuster but it even having that same scene at all just feels cheap and unimaginative, not to mention that it has almost no buildup in the story. It felt almost like an admission that Diebuster's own story was not interesting or emotional enough to conclude the OVA. While this is true, I'd respect Diebuster more if it stuck to its guns
>>
Gotchard episode 18. I sure hope Daybreak returns soon after this episode.
>>
>>22587840
I agree, it wasn't good but I did enjoy it? It felt like something a different studio or team did to homage something they loved, and in the end surprised you with it being related to the original thing, rather than being a good homage or sequel. And I can appreciate something like the former, but it IS made by the same studio, albeit twenty years later, which doesn't really give them the "fans did a cute homage" excuse.
It's a cute and exciting follow-up, although I don't know why you'd cry unless you were waiting 20 years to see a sequel, or were really invested in Nono's character.
>>
>>22587266
They had a feeling of "old ova trying to quickly summarize a story arc that is only complete in the manga", but since the manga got canceled we'll never know what the bigger picture the director had planned was...
>>22587318
>7 episodes
Nice! I'll check it out after finishing Ace Wo Nerae. For now, I'll take a break from mecha and only watch Yatterman daily before I decide to read the rest of the Getter Robo manga.
>>
File: Getter Robo Go.jpg (45 KB, 767x767)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>22588215
Seven episodes and a movie that may or may not be in the same canon as it. It's an alright summary of Mazinger, although the 92-episode show is worth watching more than Mazinger. Someone recommended it to me along the lines of "oh no, it's more content of a thing you like", which was convincing although it was worded better. You definitely have more stakes build up as well as an arms race between the good guys and Dr Hell's crew.
I'm also super excited to hear you're going to read Getter. The initial manga and maybe G is standard, but it gets crazy pretty quick after that. Armageddon is a good thing on its own referencing Getter, New Getter Robo is closer to the manga in terms of some plotpoints and mysteries, Shin vs Neo is a short and fun thing, and uh... Getter Robo Arc, the anime for the last and incomplete part of the manga is... Well. The positives is that you get to see it animated, and get some anime-only bonuses and fanservice/references. The downside is, well, there's a lot.
Anyway, heard nothing but good things about Yatterman and Getter's super fun, curious how Ace is as well, since I've only seen Gunbuster/Diebuster, hope you enjoy these!
>>
>>22587758
Duel prefers Diebuster for some reason.
>>
File: BLWHuETViv.png (449 KB, 682x514)
449 KB
449 KB PNG
>>22587494
>>22587318
>>22587479
I didn't cry ether & i'm a bleeding heart for emotional moments in anime. Noriko is annoying. None of her emotional moments feel sympathetic but just selfish & obnoxious. She gives up fighting over a guy she knew for 5 mins in one scene & the story expects the viewer to care for some reason? When all her friends could die do to her negligence. Ace did a similar but better scenario with hiromi with giving up tennis due to coach munakata's untimely death that all friend's & family hid from her to keep her mind on playing professional sports. The drama is far more developed, thought out, human, impactful & poignant than anything in gunbuster. Not to shit too much on gunbuster but i don't think anything by anno is particularly all that great at least in comparison to the things his works are paying tribute to. Even anno admits in a interview he couldn't make gunbuster feel as "mature" with its emotional moments as ace 2. In comparison to oka, noriko felt very petty & childish. Kinda like with shinji nether of which had pleas that felt understandable or sympathetic. Just my two cents. I don't hate gunbuster but i think the shorter run time had less build up & pay off for its emotional moments than other shows with similar scenes.
>>
>>22588491
>Duel having emotions when watching anything
>>
File: 60fVReTejF.png (862 KB, 769x456)
862 KB
862 KB PNG
>>22587266
Genocyber is awesome & has a lot of hidden layered substance to it. Sucks most folks write it off as just gory schlock. Also the last 2 episodes is what gave away that genecyber actually has something meaningful to say. Especially with that young couple such as the blind girl & her caring boyfriend surviving & basically giving off "Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth" vibes with its ending.
>>
>>22588699
Yeah maybe you might want to consider that Gunbuster has more going on than just being a tennis parody
Also it sounds like you only watched episode 3. Nothing about what she goes through in the first two episodes or the last one is petty or childish
Your projecting those traits onto her because you're mad Gunbuster isn't a carbon copy of tennis show that you would never talk about or pretend to like if it wasn't a way to shitpost about a more popular show on /m/.
>>
>>22588703
Yeah that's why he said >>22587768 immediately afterwards.
>>
>>22588719
>Gunbuster isn't a carbon copy of tennis show
It kinda is tho. Plus ace is more than just some "tennis anime" influential & more important to anime as a whole than gunbuster. But you sound mad as hell that not every thinks the ova is all that great as much as redditers do.

>you would never talk about or pretend to like if it wasn't a way to shitpost about a more popular show on /m/.
This is ironic & straight up gaslighting. Why would anyone "pretend" to dislike or like an anime on this board. What kind of terrible argument is that? Are you that butthurt over gunbuster? Ace is not that unpopular or niche as you like to claim. Especially in japan as its considered a very beloved & influential shoujo work. If you are this new & ignorant about old anime history don't participate in this discussion.
>>
>>22588719
>tennis parody
Also, Its not really just that. Gunbuster is literally stealing character development moments from ace as well with noriko. Its so much cheaper with it too. The emotional moments in gunbuster simply don't work as well.
>>
>>22588489
Getter robo go had some really weird or bad character writing. Outside that its pretty hype.
>>
>>22588736
>>22588731
Hit the nail on the head didn't I? You've probably never watched either show and just want to start arguments. Without fail I see this garbage being brought up every time someone mentions Gunbuster because you know this board loves it and you hate that people like things
>>
>>22588792
Not making a real argument, mate. You're just upset i found gunbuster's emotional scenes to be sloppy.
>Without fail I see this garbage being brought up every time someone mentions
I don't know man, i have made this point before. But imagine defending any "garbage" made by anno this hard? Couldn't be me.
>>
>You're just a contrarian for not blindly loving gunbuster
You can say that about anything, anon. Do better.
>>
>>22588812
It was just as much of an argument as you whining about me not appreciating your gay tennis shoujo instead of actually addressing the parts of Gunbuster which have nothing to do with said gay tennis shoujo which I did mention. This is how I know you're dishonest and deserve nothing more than what I've given you
>>
>>22588837
Well i did make an actual argument as to why in that post. You just didn't like it & claimed i didn't see gunbuster. Your replied posts have been disingenuous & are just petty shit flinging. So there's nothing really to add.
>>
>>22588837
>It was just as much of an argument as you whining about me not appreciating your gay tennis shoujo instead of actually addressing the parts of Gunbuster which have nothing to do with said gay tennis shoujo which I did mention.
Not true in the slightest
>your gay tennis show!
You're too upset.
>>
Still super excited for Great Mazinger! Tetsuya's just too cool.
>>22588699
That's fair enough, it's a bit short and her growths/arcs aren't super great or convincing. The ending for me was sad for the sheer reason of any two people of a species potentially being the last ones, only to discover that, even after over ten thousand years, humanity was still waiting fondly for them and kept their promise. I agree that the drama wasn't the strongest bit, and that Anno generally throws whatever he likes into a cauldron to make a new thing that falls short from the inspired works in a lot of ways. Still love the ending and Gunbuster's pretty cool, it's not a flawless masterpiece, I just really like the ending despite the characters.
>the shorter run time had less build up & pay off for its emotional moments than other shows with similar scenes.
Are there shows that managed to emotionally deliver with such a short episode count? I think it'd be possible, just less difficult
>>22588703
>>22588722
I'm not duel, I'm a separate retard, but one who prefers Gunbuster over Diebuster and actually torrents his shows. I wept like a baby for Gunbuster's ending the first time, but it's not flawless as I've said. I absolutely believe that Ace did its emotional character writing better without having seen it.
I just woke up and don't actually know what's going on with the rest of this discussion though.
>>22588740
The characters were never that strong in Getter imo, unless you're suggesting the anime, haven't watched that yet. Weird/weak is passable, but straight-up bad character writing is a bit concerning.
>a whopping 50 episodes
It might be the last animated Getter content I've yet to watch, other than actual Toei. Is it worth it..?
>>
>>22589366
Oh oh, also got to Metron's episode for Ultraseven (I guess we're just going to go through literally all the Ultras in order, hopefully can get the Giant Robo OVA in at some point). Very very polite and endearing, especially from hearing about later Metron appearances.
https://youtu.be/ynjonNG3iJg?t=1192
The long-term plan is to eventually pick one (just one, I don't want to have to buy 50 Ultramen) Ultraman as a favourite and get a neat figure of him. Dan is not as convincing or likable as Hayata and we see few moments of him interacting like a human being with others except for maybe Anne. On the bright side, Ultraseven comes across as a straight-up psychopath.
>first ayylmao is just there, laughing menacingly but hasn't said anything yet
>Ultraseven immediately just cuts him in half, no warning or denouncement or anything heroic
>later beheads Eleking, avec blood
Hope Alien Pegassa is doing okay, he hasn't been murdered so hopefully he comes back as a friend who's willing to coexist on Earth.
>>
>Finished Baldios
I was really disappointed that the movie didn't keep the TV show's ending. At least the movie had nicer animation. I also really liked a lot of the more episodic stories in the TV show, similar to why I didn't think Ideon's "filler" wasn't that bad.
>Strain
4 episodes in and I simultaneously hate and love this show. A lot of the space travels and mecha combat are surprisingly cool, the fanservice is less than I thought it would be, and there's a great emotional underpinning with the girl's brother, but the characters are insufferable aside from the blue-haired boy.
>Gasaraki
2 episodes in and I can see why people call this the CSPAN anime. It's actually easier to understand than I thought it would be, so I guess that's good.
>King Gainer
2 episodes in and it's pretty good. The MC reminds me of Amuro and I really liked the dome fight and the blocky railway mecha. It seems like it's going to be a reverse Xabungle (especially since the dome had a museum of vehicles like the first dome we visit in Xabungle). I've heard that this show is like G-Reco, and if that's the case, let me just say how glad I am that the characters are actually likeable and decent like the White Base crew rather than acting like a bunch of arrogant, terminally online, bubble tea-sipping zoomers. I also liked how they had a bunch of simple cutesy creatures reminiscent of old OVAs like Birth or Cool Cool Bye.
Anyone have any recommendations for any post-/m/illeniu/m/ seasonals? I'm going to watch Geneshaft, Xenosaga, Shingu, Armitage III Dual-Matrix, Argento Soma, Rouran, and Viper's Creed, and I've already seen Stellvia, the Leijiverse/Go Nagai shows, and Zegapain. I'm also considering Arjuna for the Kawamori hippy lulz and Soultaker for JAM Project. Do the Yukikaze OVAs differ from the novels significantly?
>>
>>22589371
Yeah the Ultraseven cast are really boring but it does feel like a straight upgrade in every other way. The writing's more consistent, the uniforms are more stylish, the combining jets are way cooler than those quaint planes from the first show, the action in general has more variety between the capsule monsters, Ultraseven sometimes being human sized, it's just top tier stuff
Though again I would really avoid going in order because after Ultraseven it's all downhill until you get to Tiga

>(just one, I don't want to have to buy 50 Ultramen
Kek, even if you pick one, all the new ones have like 5 forms these days. Every show from Tiga onwards has Ultras with multiple forms (with the odd exception of Max). It's really annoying when you have a favorite form but they barely made any merch for it, like my favorite form of Orb is Lightning Attacker, which was only used in a miniseries and briefly in the Geed movie, so it has nothing. Speaking of Geed, most of his forms are super ugly, but Geed Magnificent looks amazing. Is it used often? No. P-bandai? yes
>>
>>22589406
The quaint planes were fine, the opening told you it was his favourite... but a combining jet looks pretty fun.
>capsule monsters
>genocidal maniac pulls out a box with four slaves he can summon on command
>Ultraman told you like eight times about the blinking timer but you're never told whether these are friends or slaves
>Ultraseven sometimes being human sized
>straight-up talks to the other squad guys and they spend zero milliseconds being surprised
A bit jarring..
>Though again I would really avoid going in order because after Ultraseven it's all downhill until you get to Tiga
We're looking forward to Return of Ultraman though! Apparently it was highly beloved, and like- there's an absolutely depressing episode of an innocent ayy killed by a lynch mob, apparently based on the Kanto massacre of Koreans after the great earthquake. I'd like to give Return a chance at least, anyone that thoughtful would probably have given similar care to the rest of his writing.
>all the new ones have like 5 forms these days
Those Ultramen will be penalized from being my favourite.
>you have a favorite form but they barely made any merch for it
Oh boy time to learn how to paint and mold things with putty (I've never done either of this)
>Geed
Yeah he looks.. oddly elongated, but Magnificent looks appropriate for his name. Speaking of elongated, the western animation looks dog ass, and the design frightening. The 3D anime looks alright though, the one that guest-starred in SRW30. The EDF guys knowing about Hayata being Ultraman sounds cute.
>P-bandai
Alternatively, I can find out which one's the most posable, accessible, and affordable, and just pray that he'll be endearing in his show..
>>
>>22589423
Returnman and pretty much every other showa Ultra after Ultraseven all have two problems in common:
1. They introduce something that might be interesting, don't do much with it (if anything at all) and then get rid of it midway through the show, usually through an abrupt and unceremonious cast change
2. Usually after the above, but sometimes before most episodes will devolve into random oneoff children getting into shenanigans that summon a giant monster somehow and half the time the main cast only shows up to fight the monster and are otherwise uninvolved
Return has both of these problems and on top of that, its first half is extremely formulaic, with the formula in question being irritating to sit through because it usually boils down to
>Something weird happens
>MC thinks a kaiju is involved but none of the team believe him
>MC investigates further
>yep, it's a Kaiju
>fight scene
>MC runs to the team yelling OIIII literally every time
>conclusion, team doesn't apologize
They STILL didn't trust him a few more times in the second half, it's like how many fucking times does he need to be right before you trust him?
>>
File: Tiger projector hmf.png (1.39 MB, 1920x1080)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>everyone treats Boss like fucking shit, and the only result of him showing up is being a joke (he got a kill/assist once though)
>the fucking crow is back but no one remembers him, he's either dumber or back to being malevolent
>the only interesting thing is the Mycenae's internal politics
It's the /m/ycenae, because they have shared goals and desires, but a lot of them bicker with each other. Decided to root for Gorgon due to him being treated like shit, until he dies and then I'm on team Ankoku. A bit disappointed so far, but surely Boss or even the fucking crow getting some time to shine or getting acknowledged will make up for it. Tetsuya's a likable rough jerk and Jun's likable, and Kenzo's interesting enough.
>the tiger head is a fucking projector

>>22589462
>so many letdowns for delivery
Geez.. it's just not my day today.
>same format despite the show having continuity
Even X-Files eventually had Scully be less of a skeptic (well, she had to at that point) and her doubting became moreso "ok yes it could be ayys, but here's other mundane or possible and concerning explanations". Even fucking Team Rocket started to become self-aware and predict or point out how the format usually goes. Is the MC literally just Boss?
>>
>>22589631
huh, I haven't seen Great Mazinger yet because I want to buy the BDs, but it's never been a high priority purchase even if Great Mazinger is one of my favorite mecha. It's like, even if the show isn't as bad as everyone says, Mazinger Z is such a tough act to follow that I don't see how Great could improve on it as a show. Nice to see that Gorgon gets some spotlight though, always thought he was cool.

Returnman definitely does have a better MC than Dan or Hayata, but unfortunately that comes with the caveat of problem 1. They introduce recurring characters outside the team that he's close with, a trio of siblings that have quite the extreme unexplained age gap: older bro looks to be late thirties, sister is in her twenties, little bro is like ten years old. MC's dream is to be a grand prix racer and throughout the show he builds a car with older bro and has a light romance with the sister. Both of them are unceremoniously killed off by an alien towards the end of the show. And as for his drama with the team, it's even worse because it's not just that they don't believe him, they take his disagreement as an insult, a sign that he doesn't trust their judgment. Return has some good episodes like the one you mentioned and the Pris-Ma episode but on the whole it's frustrating for things like this
>>
>>22589681
The sole existing/seeded torrent might not be BD-quality...
>it's never been a high priority purchase even if Great Mazinger is one of my favorite mecha
Booo! Why not!
>Mazinger Z is such a tough act to follow that I don't see how Great could improve on it as a show.
As long as it's of similar quality with a different cast, I'd be fine.
>watched the last episode of Great, and a few others of Great when I was starting Z
>abrupt conclusion and have only seen Infinity in SRW 30 deal with Tetsuya feeling guilty over having gotten Koji's dad killed
There's a prequel manga but it sure isn't translated into English!!
>Nice to see that Gorgon gets some spotlight though, always thought he was cool.
Thought he was an ass, but turns out he's just an honourfag, and treats Ashura with respect and sympathy once they risked and lost their life to try redeeming themselves. Turns out Gorgon's part of the intelligence division under Minister Argos. Intelligence guys are always cool, since Intel just means spy networks and murder.
>recurring characters outside the team that he's close with, a trio of siblings
>that spoiler
What the hell? I was told the abrupt/unceremonious cast change you mentioned was bc they were poorfags that couldn't initially afford exclusivity for some actors. Maybe them getting written off was them dealing with that? I'm sure they had something they were forced to work around.
>they take his disagreement as an insult
Well, I'm glad they at least have a relatable protag...
>on the whole it's frustrating for things like this
Well, it was still apparently highly and intensely beloved by Japan. So there's surely SOME sort of merit it has.
I did not think I'd get into toku this year, and before Harlock and Mazinger I did not think I'd care about any anime predating the 80s.
>>
>>22589934
Well even though I haven't watched, I've already seen signs of Great not being able to maintain what Z started. The smaller arsenal in SRW games for example. The dedicated obvious finishing move (as much as I like Thunder Break, I still want monsters to be defeated in different ways). Venus A never getting an upgrade (except maybe a scrander I think?) Great already starting with the Scramble Dash so there's no way for the Myceneans to screw him over with terrain like Dr. Hell did to Mazinger Z. I mean I guess there's the Great Booster, but apart from that, there's what, the Knee Impulse Kick? Not really an attack I'm too excited to see the origin of. It's hard to see where Mazinger Z's R&D focus could come in

>Maybe them getting written off was them dealing with that?
Maybe, I don't know. The show does have another cast change, the captain gets replaced by a different captain about halfway through, for no apparent reason. At least the first captain didn't die, he was just transferred.

>Well, it was still apparently highly and intensely beloved by Japan.
The show doesn't get referenced too often in later stuff (though it gets more attention than Leo or 80 at least), so I'm not sure why you think this. Like I said it has some good episodes. The aforementioned two. The Seamons/Seagorath two parter was good. IIRC it had the first Bemstar appearance, which was also good. My favorite was the Oxter episode, where they accidentally disturbed the bones of a dead monster during a hike and summoned its ghostly form from the bottom of a swamp, had some really creepy shots. The ending was pretty good too. But yeah, I figured you should know what you're getting into by going in order. It's gonna be a LOT of inconsistency and wasted potential until you get to Tiga. Maybe it'll be more gratifying once you get to Tiga and are rewarded with a nonstop stream of banger episodes though. But I did watch in order and kinda wished I'd skipped a few
>>
Watched Gundam Neo Experience: Green Divers yesterday, great stuff. Better than over hyped nonsense like CCA, Turn A, or 0080.
>>
>>22592598
Get a blog drool.
>>
>>22592748
>Hur dur drool
Typical Droolfag pointing fingers again. Just admit not everyone masturbates to Tomino Gundam.
>>
>>22592748
And this is drool how? Because I don't see it.
>>
>>22592979
>>22592987
>>22592997
You'd think your massive meltdown the other day would have sated you for a while, but I guess not.
>>
>>22593005
What meltdown?
>>
Apparently the Netflix Ultraman show is a bit slow to start, but I've discovered that there are very fun dance EDs...
>>22590010
Well, I think Z probably has a few more attacks in its arsenal, but Great is just shafted in SRW because the boomerang and kicks haven't gotten moves for some reason.. I know an early ep upgrades the atomic punch for drills, and the kicks are a later upgrade, but I get what you mean..
>new captain
Should be fine..
>The show doesn't get referenced too often in later stuff, so I'm not sure why you think this.
And the toku industry was apparently dying around the end of Seven's run and TsuPro was going bankrupt, Return and Kamen Rider airing seems like they brought back interest in toku, and I don't think it was solely "looks worse than 1966 Ultraman" Kamen Rider that carried this
Bemstar looks endearing, Seagorath looks MEGA cute, and the ghost thing sounds like a promising episode.. Also Jack looks pretty identical to OG Ultraman, maybe that might be why he doesn't keep showing up?
>I figured you should know what you're getting into by going in order. It's gonna be a LOT of inconsistency and wasted potential until you get to Tiga.
Yeah, I get that, thank you. There's definitely some weak points, I probably wouldn't watch in order alone, at least with weak episodes or shows I can poke fun at them when something silly or bad is happening. I'm looking forward to Tiga though, I trust you that it'll be a peak!
>>
>>22593572
>And the toku industry was apparently dying around the end of Seven's run
Uh, it barely even existed
Ultra Q aired only a year or two prior to Ultraseven and it was the first show to bring kaiju to TV, there really wasn't much toku on television at all aside from what Tsuburya themselves were putting out. There was a few years between Ultraseven and Return of Ultra because Eiji Tsuburya wanted Ultraseven to be the last Ultra show. He helped with a few shows after Ultraseven, such as Mighty Jack and Operation: Mystery and then he died in the year 1970. His son took over, noticed that reruns of the Ultra shows were doing well, and revived Ultraman as a franchise, giving us Return of Ultraman. The reruns are supposedly also why they did some (two) episodes where they brought back the previous two Ultras

>Also Jack looks pretty identical to OG Ultraman, maybe that might be why he doesn't keep showing up?
Jack was originally intended to be the original, evidently it was a dispute with the merchandisers that changed things. OG Ultraman actually doesn't appear too often either. It's usually Ultraseven or Taro if they bring back just one of the old ones
>>
File: file.jpg (153 KB, 850x638)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>22593622
>it barely even existed
Godzillabros, we got too cocky...
But ohh, I thought Ultras were dying, didn't know Seven was intended to be the last one. Still, if Return revived the Ultra franchise, it must have been pretty popular..
>evidently it was a dispute with the merchandisers that changed things
Yeah, they wanted to sell new toys, which I get, but uh
>OG and Zoffy and then Jack just looking near-identical to one another
Taro and even Seven look a bit distinctive, but man. It's not like I want each protag to be wildly unique and coloured differently each time like later Kamen Riders but please. Like, I can see the differences but it's not going to be easy if they're moving around
>>
File: file.png (1.63 MB, 1920x1080)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PNG
My silly wife!
>>
I didn't see Venus A's theme subtitled but the show does it for you, the theme was already nice but the lyrics are great as well
I'm so tired
>>
8 episodes into Bravern and holy shit, Smith. He was pretty cool.
>>
>>22593629
To be fair to Zoffy, he was just a last episode character obvious reusing an Ultraman suit. I think the big oddity is that he became such a big recurring character. Imagine if they had tried to make "Seven's Superior" from Seven's finale an actual recuring character too even though he looked identical to UltraSeven.
>>
>>22594744
Yeah, it's odd to hear that he's come back like, at all. It's like if the taxi driver that came to pick up Mefilas showed up again.
>>
>>22595255
>>22594744
Nah, it makes sense. He didn't get his own show so the viewer probably wants to know more about him (not that you ever actually learn more about him but it's the thought that counts). He doesn't have a human alter ego (until Mebius), so it's easy to stick him anywhere, no specific actor required (this is probably also the same reason Taro makes a lot of appearances; Taro's human form got reconned out of existence). He's the oldest and most powerful of the "Ultra brothers" group formed by all the showa Ultras, so when Zoffy shows up, you know the writers are trying to make things seem dire

And you know, he is an Ultra. They bring back oneoff monsters all the time, why wouldn't they do the same for the actual stars of the franchise?
Xenonbros...
>>
King Joe's pretty cool, knew vaguely about him but his appearance caught me off guard.
>been watching thirds of an episode of Great
>it's not even a bad episode
I'll finish it today..
>>22595513
I feel bad saying this but I wasn't that curious about him, although maybe if he was a robot from the 80s I would have. Like, it was clear he was just some superior/guy from the same planet who looked similar, so I wasn't speculating everything about his life and career as I might have for a robot. Unless of course someone asked me "hey isn't Zoffy a bit interesting and mysterious", I guess that would have set me down that path.
>he gets a human alter ego
Aww!
>Taro's human form got reconned out of existence
That sounds absolutely terrifying, especially for him when he's retconned back somehow.
>He's the oldest and most powerful of the "Ultra brothers" group formed by all the showa Ultras
Oh, I didn't know that! I feel bad for designated "I'm strong but I'll job to this way-strong thing" characters, but they're fun when they still get opportunities to fare well! Like, Great did alright in Kaiser and the movie.
>They bring back oneoff monsters all the time
I've been enthralled with my friend about some of the Ultra/Ultra-related cafes and restaurants, one of the kaiju-based ones has been going for like 10 years with pretty good-quality stuff at fair prices. There's a ultra kaiju-girl themed one but it feels like they tacked on whatever name/monster to random food items. If I had to pay $30 for a meal, and choose between a photograph and a hug from a pretty girl or a robot/kaiju, I'd go with the extra-special /m/emory, hands down.
>Xenon
Huh? I guess he didn't make it...
>>
>>22596058
King Joe definitely caught me off guard too, absolutely wasn't expecting a 60s combining robot. It's like every time you think an anime's the first to do something (in this case Getter), a toku actually did it earlier
I like King Joe, it really does give off that pulp sci-fi vibe, like something right off an old comic book cover about the menace of the terrifying robots. Though conversely that always makes it a bit weird when King Joe gets modern appearances since it really just looks like a product of its time. Galactron's an example of a modern Ultra robot villain and the differences are stark.
Ultraman Z made King Joe a robot piloted by the team and even it redesigned it into this custom version so it doesn't look so obviously 1960s (and they also gave it a tank mode too)

>when he's retconned back somehow.
He never was. The actor for Taro's human form never came back after Taro.

Ultraman Xenon was from Ultraman Max. As a throwback show that was so dedicated to emulating the original show that it's the only other show in the franchise to have 39 episodes, Max came up with Xenon, its own version of Zoffy. Xenon showed up in one episode to give Max a new weapon and then fucked off until the finale where he joined Max as Max was flying away from Earth. Neither Max nor Xenon have gotten any real attention at all since Max. Max was in one episode of Ultraman X and they cameo'd in some movies and that's about it.
>>
>>22596058
>That sounds absolutely terrifying, especially for him when he's retconned back somehow.

He was retconned out of universe, not in-story, so, yeah, no return. The Ultraman Story movie from 1984 was a semi-recap that completely changed Taro's story from being a human transformed into a Ultra to just being an Ultra sent to train on Earth for a while. And this take is the one all future appearances use, completely ignoring the original tv series as far as Taro's identity goes.

Part of it is that due to how the tv show actually Taro shouldn't even appear again, since Kotaro decides to just fight as a human. It's why you don't see Taro making guest appearances in Leo afterwards unlike all other previous Ultras. At the time, he shouldn't exist anymore.
>>
Watching the 90s Silver Surfer series and it's so damn cool. Wish I watched this as a kid. So much Kirby Crackle.
>>
>>22596108
I know right? Been spotting some vague things that influenced Go Nagai and co. The Big O's opening was based on/homaging Ultraseven apparently!
King Joe (unnamed in the show...) definitely does have that old-school vibe. The new King Joe's cool in its own way, but the old one's endearing as well.
>He never was.
Gone confirmably f-forever??
>Neither Max nor Xenon have gotten any real attention at all since Max.
Surely a homage to Mansan wouldn't have been horrible right, like- why wouldn't it ever show up again, is it because it didn't do anything original, because I'd assume it still did..
>>22596150
Thank you for doing extra work just to give me an extra bit of helpful detail!
>>22596156
>the series was just written out
>retroactively it's never him now
Oh...
>Kotaro decides to just fight as a human. It's why you don't see Taro making guest appearances in Leo afterwards unlike all other previous Ultras. At the time, he shouldn't exist anymore.
Uhhhh... I'm a bit confused, but as long as he's happy, on the path that he's decided, alright. I feel that if it's like a western sort of comic or show (those aren't /m/ related by the way!) you'd bring him back from time travel/altverses, from between episodes where he was going around as Ultraman in the show. But if they're sticking with the movie, they're just leaving him to rest. Was a bit looking forward to Taro, something Kinnikuman Suguru (and Yudetamago) named his son after would surely be an okay series unironically, right?
>>
>>22596238
It's a show that goes all out on the goofy side of Ultraman. The humor didn't work very well with me though. I prefer something like Ace's goofier episodes where people actually react with surprise to oddities, while in Taro almost everyone goes along with whatever bizarre scenario or mythological reference the writers pull.
>>
Just wrapped up Ultraman Trigger (>>22596275) and now I just have to watch Decker and I'll have seen every main show and can officially say I know one (1) toku franchise.

>>22596238
Taro's not something you should take seriously, not only because it's a goofy ass show but also because it retcons its own first episode halfway through. More recent attempts at Ultraman continuity have been even more headache inducing. You think this make no sense, just wait until you get to Geed and Taiga. Basically just don't worry about it.
Supposedly the actor for the human form wanted to come back for Mebius but wasn't able to because of prior obligations or something

Anyway, thoughts on the upcoming Ultraman Arc, btw?
https://youtu.be/uuRlaOC1vNY
>>
>Octo Panther almost straight-up got everyone killed but Honey and co just got very very very very lucky
It'd be interesting to see a Nagai robot, or any robot in general that's not Getter-3 or a hydro specialist, actually fare well in the water. Seems like the oceans are just a death trap for robots.
>have to read Shin Mazinger Zero again to get a handle on whether I want to get Infinitism Zero or if I should get Kaiser instead
Every time I finish it I like Zero, but after a few months I feel no joy from my hobbies anymore

>>22596268
>almost everyone goes along with whatever bizarre scenario or mythological reference the writers pull.
I liked Gilbert and Sullivan's stuff (Victorian comedy operas, tangential) and the rule of comedy of "the funniest thing of an absurd situation is if all the characters take it with 100% seriousness and try to get to the rational conclusion", or however that analysis I read went.
>>22596279
>retcons its own first episode halfway through
No!!!!!!
>Basically just don't worry about it.
Alright..
>Supposedly the actor for the human form wanted to come back for Mebius but wasn't able to because of prior obligations or something
Ack, well, maybe he'll get another chance..
>upcoming
I'm glad it's probably not about children's street games or dance battles, but instead has a puzzle box which is perfect for autists like me.
Ultraman's design looks cool and pretty normal, so that's good.
>>
File: doronjo cow.jpg (168 KB, 1440x1080)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
This whole episode felt like something Go Nagai would write.
>>
File: 1662323340700.webm (2.94 MB, 1340x720)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
Finished the Vampire Hunter D manga and it was pretty good! Not as good as the 2000 movie, but the last two volumes made me wish there was a third VHD movie...
And seeing more art of Yoshitaka Amano makes me hate Square Enix for having the money and resources to make a game that looks as good as his art but they insist on making nothing but generic semi-realistic games.
>>
>>22596864
Not /m/ you fucking nigger.
>>
>>22596477
Yeah Arc is the first time we've had a basic red and silver Ultra since, like, Mebius, which was 20 years ago. He almost looks like he could have stepped right out of the 70s
On the other hand we already know Arc has sun and moon based forms >>22596989 >>22596990. They look kinda dumb but maybe they're just there because the show is trying to be a throwback to Cosmos, who also had sun and moon forms. I really like Cosmos, and much like Max, Cosmos has also had very few major appearances after his show; he played a big role in the Ginga movie and that's about it. Also they're throwing around the word "imagination" a lot, and damn I hope so. Most of the recent shows have felt pretty unimaginative, like they're trying to be MCU capeshit. What really makes Ultra for me is the mystery stories with strange creatures and inexplicable sci-fi phenomena. Geed's a good example. It's a show about the son of an evil Ultra that originated in a movie that came out like 8 years before Geed aired, portraying the conflict between legacy and free will. And the best episode had nothing to do with any of that and was a oneoff episode about a bird kaiju that mysteriously resurrected at exactly 10 A.M every day no matter how many times they beat it. Based 10 A.M bird making Ultraman seethe. It actually felt like a classic Ultra episode, unlike the rest of the show.

Anyway, I got halfway through Decker and more or less finished writing the guide to help my little bro get into Ultra. I'll finish Decker tomorrow, which is also his birthday, and give it to him as a present. It didn't cost me money, but it did cost me about 5 months. You can have it too if you want. See if you agree with my taste in what you've watched so far.
https://wormhole.app/RoaPK#ey3HzLuBet16ReVQIWWVEg
>>
File: file.png (1.69 MB, 1920x1080)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>Great's ep is about some stupid cunt in Shiro's class who surprisingly but rightly got kicked the shit out of by a surprisingly capable Shiro
>literally That Kid, the one that straight-up lies about nonsense and fucking doubles down on it, to the benefit of no one
>the scribble he drew just so happens to vaguely resemble a Battle Beast and we'll have another "Shiro's classmate is held hostage" episode and the cunt hopefully learns his lesson or whatever
Why are some kids like this? I know for a fact that these kids were around when I was growing up. He's fucking panicking about his dogshit lie now. Is it because of lack of attention? Abuse? His parents seem to be together, at least, considering he's asked them to buy a fucking giant robot.
I hope Tetsuya throws him into the sun.

>>22597219
Those silly forms look rather top-heavy, but I'm glad he's returning to form otherwise.
>Ultra trying to be capeshit and not doing its own thing
Oh...
>What really makes Ultra for me is the mystery stories with strange creatures and inexplicable sci-fi phenomena.
Yeah, I personally wouldn't mind more episodes where there's not necessarily a wandering kaiju or ayy and just some mystery (without a child dying from hypothermia)
>a bird kaiju that mysteriously resurrected at exactly 10 A.M every day no matter how many times they beat it. Based 10 A.M bird making Ultraman seethe.
That actually sounds hilarious, and reminds me of that harmless-looking kaiju that the children kept drawing/upgrading.
Happy early birthday to your brother! You worked hard getting this far!
>>22596864
Not /m/ but glad you finally finished and enjoyed it!
>>
File: file.png (1.59 MB, 1920x1080)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
>immediately at first glance the battle beast nabs the shitty child, because God is good
>immediately at first glance Tetsuya knows that robot is a battle beast, because not even a rich child would have that
>the ruse was utterly pointless and so was the premise of the episode, other than teaching children not to be like this shitty child
>Koji gets crucified like 10 times in the show but they couldn't show just one child getting crucified
I hate this child and I hate the crow, I'm so close to having episode 7 as "literally the first Mazinger episode I actually dislike"
>we say kikaijus but we also say Battle Beasts
Going to try remembering to call them sentoujus. Think this and the last episode started to make it more clear that they're sentient, considering the last one's been studying magic for centuries. At least we got picrel, Boss being at the institute for the first time, and Kenzo continuing to be a rather warm human being.

>>22597219
>it's by episode number
I'll have to sit down and compare it to episode pages in a bit, but this is a lot, thank you!
>>
>>22597330
Unfortunate to hear you're not having a great time with Great Mazinger, obviously if anyone would like it, it'd be (You). I'm not as big of a Mazinger fan as you even though I consider Shin Mazinger my favorite mecha show, so I probably wouldn't care for Great. I was holding out hope for it since I like Great's design, but I suppose every franchise has its stinkers
>>
>no energy to resume SRWs
>not sure what I can play that makes me feel like a robot and/or pilot without my toaster exploding
Maybe I'll give Demonsbane a try next month
>>22597446
I'm almost tempted to go back and keep translating Ota's Mazinger mangas from Euro languages, if I could pick a font for it already I'd get at least one chapter done.
I don't hate the show, but it does feel like a slight downgrade so far. Kenzo's been a strong point since I didn't think we'd have him be a decent human being from the get-go. Next ep is the first upgrade (drill pressure punch) so hopefully that's pretty great, the upgrade eps in Z were usually pretty solid.
>I'm not as big of a Mazinger fan as you even though I consider Shin Mazinger my favorite mecha show
Shin is definitely up there (I haven't watched God Mazinger, but so far no Mazinger show has been bad) but Toei might be king. "I enjoyed ninety two episodes and the weakest thing was the weirdo magic antag, but I wouldn't say there were any bad episodes" is a pretty big achievement for any cartoon that long.
>so I probably wouldn't care for Great.
You didn't like Tetsuya in the flashbacks and near the end? Even in the Kaiser OVA and (not-as-great imo) movie, they tried to do him a solid by showing him to be still pretty strong, and not something useless without Kaiser.
>I was holding out hope for it since I like Great's design
Honestly I'm too mesmerized by whether the wings move or not, and trying to look into how wing shapes affect aviation. Like, will it be inaccurate to display SD Great with the wings going down? Should I be pretty pleased that Infinitism Z can move its wings while Great can't?
>but I suppose every franchise has its stinkers
It's only been 7 episodes, I'm sure there's going to be good moments.. but knowing that there's no closure/resolution for the ending nor the antag at large, I'm a bit worried that Great might be the least best out of the three Toei shows, regardless of quality.
>>
>>22597446
>>22597501
>Boss gets the Drill Pressure Punch before Great does
>Boss saves Jun, again, and actually gets the kill for the sentoju
>we get more bickering between the generals and them having different opinions as well as "my beast my rules" levels of arguments
Granted they still laughed at Boss at the end, but still.
>it's another sad cyborg spy episode after
One downside is seeing similar stories from Z, but I guess the upside is that you see a different take on it with a different cast. Think it took like a dozen episodes for me to consciously realize that Z was a good show, so I'll see if things improve by ep 12-15.
>>
>>22597564
Ah, I didn't know Borot Pressure Punch was an actual thing from the show, thought it was just a gimmick attack AP Included. And he even landed the kill with it. Nice. I thought I saw some other anon say Boss was treated worse in Great but apparently not
>>
>>22597583
>Borot Pressure Punch was an actual thing from the show
Yep!
>And he even landed the kill with it. Nice.
N-not quite! It got knocked back by the sentoju once, and the second round it sort of broke into pieces. Boss did land the kill on another sentoju after stopping it from swording Venus A by throwing a trusty boulder, then using its sword to stab it. I've seen Boss Borot with quite an arsenal of guns, I hope deciding to equip the strong but fragile Borot with separate usable weapons is a development from the show.
>Boss was treated worse in Great but apparently not
So far he has been, but I remember an anon long ago saying that Koji was still the only one who verbally acknowledged him as valuable and as a friend. You'd have to ask someone who finished the show though. But he lives in some half-broken shipyard outside the institute and he doesn't really get any thanks for anything he's done, although Kenzo asks Jun and Boss to do things, or asks Tetsuya to rescue Jun and Boss. Unironically waiting for the Age of Boss for Great.
>>
>>22596864
Wrong neighborhood, my guy
>>
File: This but unironically.png (1.29 MB, 1920x1080)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
Kami-sama I'm begging you
>>
File: Overwhelming despair!.jpg (394 KB, 1280x720)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
>>22598932
Boss will continue the feeling of overwhelming despair.
>>
>>22599025
When is crow hell going to end
>>
>>22599025
I mean Great Mazinger gives Boss his own theme song. It can't be that bad to Boss
>>
File: Redman experience.png (108 KB, 1185x517)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>can't find the Redman comic from free comic websites or nyaa
But I want to Red Fight
>>
>>22599209
You're probably better off asking in the Ultra general, don't you think?
>>
>>22599271
I didn't know/register there was an ultra general, thank you!
>>
Finished watching Bravern. It was a decent and fun short series.
>>
>>22599601
I'm glad you enjoyed it. /m/ guessed some of the twists very very early on (eps 1-2?) so it was fun and unfun watching with them as it was airing. Not Obari's strongest thing imo but still enjoyable in its own right. Second cour when... although I don't know what they could really do.
At least the opening is a bang(brav)er
>>
>>22599621
Also finished the Rayearth OVA, which I had an overall good time with it. Eagle as a villain felt "surreal". Gonna watch Cyber Formula to see Mitsuo Fukuda's earlier roots as a director.
>>
>>22599630
Wait did- sorry, I thought you were an anon who finished it earlier. I didn't expect much of it from the artstyle/designs, but it was a decent enough Rayearth story in its own right, even though I liked cute regular Eagle more. Think I still hated him for his first half though, maybe it was his confidence.
Aside from a little bit of Initial D (which was fun), I honestly haven't touched anything racing, hopefully Cyber Formula is good. His Gear Fighter Dendoh sounds like a familiar name for some reason. Hope Trider G7 gets decent subtitles some day, the premise was cute.
>>
>>22599665
I did finish the Rayearth OVA earlier. I just wanted to reaffirm it. Been watching some more G1 Transformers episodes (currently at episode 9).
>>
File: file.png (1.86 MB, 1920x1080)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>remembering the non-Histler teacher in the manga was unceremoniously killed along with Histler and probably most of the school, and she even went out with some cute fourth-wall-breaking "oop well that's the end for my character, hee ;P"
>Histler's sadistic and vengeful against... kids who skip classes and sneak out of school
>whereas bigchin teacher likes Honey and actually covers for her, actually a pretty nice and normal person, somewhat silly but well-meaning
>her sole crime was being ugly and I hated her for it
Man... as long as they're treated a bit better than the manga, that's all I can hope for.

>>22599679
Oh. Well, alright, fair enough.
Ah I think Skyfire's ep was 8? Season 2 nets you more spotlight episodes which are fun. Think somewhere in season 1 has a 2 or 3 parter that's the same plot as I think the third live-action movie. S1's fine, S2 picks up and has more fun/creative stuff, new characters popping in out of nowhere... S3 I didn't like as a kid but appreciated more as an adult.
https://www.youtube.com/@Freddery/playlists
Here's a funny channel that did parody summaries for a few episodes and shorts, and separate shorts. Think he was/is working on a version of the movie.
>>
File: tomino quote.png (1.03 MB, 1062x1332)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>
No new thread?
>>
>>22601333
Here you go:
>>22601349
>>
>>22601333
I tried making a new thread but the system thought my post was spam. It seems like we can't link other threads now.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.