[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HeavyGearBlitz.jpg (80 KB, 720x982)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
It's been a while since we have had one of these threads.

picrel is Heavy Gear which recently got a 4th edition to their RPG rules to go along with the wargame rules.

Battletech is still going strong in the game stores I frequent. Post your favorites tabletop mecha games.
>>
>>22545524
Mekton Zero when
>>
What's the point of this shit when the robots all look like trash.
>>
>>22545524
I've had thoughts about trying to create a wargame based around gunpla/plamo, where you can actually play with your toys and face off against other people's toys. I'm not sure what I would game system it would even be based it on but I think it'd be cool to re-enact stuff from like the OYW or later stuff with gunpla. If it's all within 1/144 scale you could even act out how something like Mazinkaiser would fare against the Nu Gundam and Sazabi in a tag team.
If I felt like there was actual demand I would go through and try and do something but that would probably require me to rewatch a lot of Gundam which I'm not very interested in doing. I haven't found anyone stupid enough to help me with it either.
Sorry if this derails the thread into Gundam autism, OP, it's just an idea that I've had for years since I started collecting plamo. Heavy Gear designs are pretty cool, wish it was more popular than literal plagarist garbage like Battletech but what can you do?
>>
File: Sentinel_both.jpg (551 KB, 1600x1023)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
>>22545524
Well! Considering /tg/ does not have their regular /mechm/ ("Mecha Monday") thread up this week for some reason, may as well do it here!

>>22545623
Mekton Zero never, to the best of my knowledge. That project crashed and burned so hard it took my relationship with Mike Pondsmith with it.

>>22545641
There are other games with different styles of mecha artwork, but still, most western game makers have a hard time wrapping their heads around anime mecha.

>>22545684
There are a couple of games like that already. IIRC one is called MechaTop. Also, the funny thing is that Heavy Gear (seen in the OP) is 1/144 scale, it's just that the mecha are the size of VOTOMs' Armored Troopers. A 1/144 scale game using Gundams and Super Robots takes up a VERY large area.
>>
>>22545724
>There are a couple of games like that already. IIRC one is called MechaTop.
I'll look into it, sounds cool.
>Heavy Gear (seen in the OP) is 1/144 scale, it's just that the mecha are the size of VOTOMs' Armored Troopers
That's cool, didn't know that. To me they just read as like typical heroic scale even with the figure in front, I think I'm just a retard.
>A 1/144 scale game using Gundams and Super Robots takes up a VERY large area.
I guess you would definitely have to limit it to a skirmish thing, no-one in their right mind would have like thirty Zaku IIs and fifty GMs even if HGs are a lot cheaper.
>>
>>22545767
>1/144
Darn right. And if you add in units like Psycho Gundam or Getter Robo you're looking at models that are like a foot tall
>>
>>22545524
>Post your favorites tabletop mecha games.
getting into lancer, comp/con website is well done and helps a lot. we still have to get used to it but they enjoyed the first session
>>
>>22545524
I play BT(alpha strike since that's all the guys at the LGS play) of course, but wish HG was a tad more popular so I could play that with the fellas, Gamma Wolves too. I supported the RPG and got the badlands starter for this reason.
Looking forward to that jap RPG Wares Blade as well.
>>
>>22545684
You should look into MechaStellar. It has a similar concept of using Gunpla and general Plamo as units for a Wargame.
>>
I have this massive spite project that's in its horrible terrible early state but it technically exists, though it can't be posted here so it's on /tg/ instead
>>
>>22545920
Cool. I downloaded it, will take a peek later tonight
>>
>>22545684
Tbf Heavy Gear is just as plagiarist, it’s just not embarrassed by the concept of mecha like Battletech is
>>
File: HG03.jpg (206 KB, 1600x772)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>22546102
From what this source claims, DP9 wanted to make a Votoms RPG, but just didn't get the go ahead.(which I find odd as not much longer would we get the Votoms RPG from RTG) In an alternate universe Heavy Gear could have probably been an expanded Votoms universe.
https://timeldred.com/heavygear/
The plagarism makes more sense than in BTs case.
>>
>>22546169
That’s my point, it’s actively trying to imitate mecha anime instead of taking the designs and thinking it knows better about everything else
>>
File: 1364888490173.jpg (187 KB, 900x846)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>22546169
>>22546191
If DP9 had indeed gotten the license to do Votoms instead of R.Talsorian getting it, they wouldn't have been able to keep it up for a very long time because the licensing fees would have eaten too much into the profits. DP9 probably would have done several Votoms books, but eventually they would have been unable to continue that way, and probably would have stopped and created Heavy Gear instead anyway.
>>
File: Thunderboltart.jpg (1.02 MB, 1920x2365)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>22545524
I'm a BT painter/player/semi-obsessed. Not a big fan of CGL, and I had to quit the /tg/ BattleTech general because of how bad it is, so seeing this thread warms my heart.

>>22545724
MektonBro, nice to see you out of the cancerous shithole that is modern /tg/.
>>
>>22545724
What happened to Mekton Zero?
>>
File: 161.jpg (131 KB, 1000x750)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Sorry for crosspoasting but I need as much eyes on this as possible.

I need some opinions-
I've recently migrated the Heavy Gear wiki over from Fandom to .gg, after hearing multiple times about bad user experience in the former (intrusive ads and such). Now, gg seems to be better on that front, but it's also more of a hassle to get good looking layouts, edits aren't as easy to do, etc.

So basically, I'd appreciate if you took a short browse around the sites, click some articles and let me know if it's worth it to stick to gg despite said difficulties - which ones offer you a more pleasant browsing experience?

https://heavy-gear.fandom.com/wiki/Jager

https://heavygear.wiki.gg/wiki/Jager
>>
>>22546102
It didn't literally steal designs from Macross and Dougram though? It's just really heavily inspired by VOTOMS but is still unique. BT is way worse and unforgivable in my books for that bullshit.
>>
>>22545767
There's a skirmish tabletop using gunpla someone made a while ago. My local's gonna be running a trial session this weekend.
>>
>>22545724
the sentinel's art is so damn good
was there ever any art made of the zaku-like as well? i like izubuchi's GMs but have always been more of a zaku man
>>
>>22545684
There's been a few, but the scale for gunpla just kind of stinks as tabletop models. They're too big.
I dig the 1/400 minis though. They're basically battletech scale, about 6mm.

I'd like to give heavy gear another shot, but it's expensive and doesn't strictly do it for me, for some reason. It's probably the best/most popular outright mech wargame though. I consider battletech closer to skirmish. Too individually complex to bother running more than a couple minis.
>>
>>22546841
>I'd like to give heavy gear another shot, but it's expensive
Yeah this is an issue with Heavy Gear. The starter kits are a pretty good deal, they have some issues in that the designs aren't as good or accurate as there pewter counterparts and that only really applies to the northern & southern boxes. peace river, nucoal, and earth are decent, 70$ to get a whole army ready to go isn't bad. Where it get's ridiculous is the metals. It's like 10$ a pop for a small unit. Getting a starter of metal models would be likely some 150-250$ dollars. That's not even considering the price of Tanks, Chopers, Striders which float more around 40-60$. It's not even worth it for low TV models like the Asp unless you just really love it's design. At least it's not 40k but it's not exactly cheap like Battletech either. This isn't even considering getting materials for the tabletop on top of all of this nor shipping prices for non leaf/burger contries. Anyhow there's some alternatives to try as well. MechaStellar is good if you have the Gunpla collection to use it with, especially the more small gachapon types of models, there's also Eisenfront as the new kid on the block, being more Front Mission in style rather than Votoms. I haven't played it but the designs look solid. One saving grace about Heavy Gear is that the rulebook is absolutely free, if one really wanted to they could print 2D standees and play with that.
>>
>>22546841
>>22546955
The trick with Heavy Gear is that you don't actually need Heavy Gear models. Each unit has a standardized height for gameplay purposes, so anything of the right height on the right base would work.
>>
File: titan.jpg (167 KB, 756x1008)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>22546955
Yep, here to toot some more horns about the plastic starter sets for HG. They're good bang per buck and can set you up with an entire army without issue.
When it comes to vehicles, I liberally just use free STLs of similar designs. Pic related, it's my and my "Titan".
>>
File: Image076.jpg (370 KB, 1280x1525)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>22546955
FM1 style minis when
>>
File: mekton_scenes.jpg (262 KB, 800x789)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>22546296
>MektonBro, nice to see you out of the cancerous shithole that is modern /tg/.
Cheers, comrade! I'm actually much more of an /m/ regular, usually. /mechm/ is the only part of /tg/ I spend much time in. #2 would be the PDF share thread of course, but only for spoonfeeding most of the time. Which is why I guess I haven't noticed /tg/ getting shittier. Besides, this is 4chan, where everything is always shitty, right? (i keed, I keed. Sortof.)

>>22546438
>What happened to Mekton Zero?
I don't have the ultimate answer, as I was only around (and even then, marginally) for the first half of the Kickstarter campaign. I know Mike had tons of ideas (good world ideas and bad rules ideas, from what little I saw) but I suspect he hadn't put them into any coherent, centralized form. Meanwhile, stuff was happening in his business and life....

Cyberpunk 2077 was years late and I'm sure that was generating tons of tension and stress for him there. (There may have been legal complications adding to the issues there.) I also think Mike had/has some health issues (maybe psychological/emotional, maybe physical, maybe both) that interfere with his work. Mike has had a record of being ever-increasingly (like, amazingly) late on his projects: Castle Falkenstein was a year or so late. Cyberpunk v.3 was several years late (and was horrible trash). The Mekton Zero kickstarter started great, but then floundered for five years with fewer and fewer updates (with most of them flimsy excuses) until ultimately everyone was refunded. I know firsthand that legal action was threatened over the kickstarter.

(part 1 of 2)
>>
File: mekton_scale.jpg (1.1 MB, 5000x1375)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>22547402
(part 2 of 2)
Even after several years, what I saw of Mekton Zero looked really shabby, half baked, and just plain not good. While Mike had fully revamped all of the Algol setting and it sounded really cool, I don't know how much of it he actually wrote down. What little I saw of the rules changes and new layout and graphics were crappy in my opinion. Which is not to say Mekton Z was perfect, it wasn't! And at 20+ years of age, it definitely needed a revamp. But Mike intended to make absolutely no changes the Mekton Technical System (aka Zeta Plus), claiming that changing the mecha construction system would alienate the fanbase. Psssssh.

The artwork for Mekton Zero, by Gundam professional Mark Simmons, was awesome. (Pic related, here and in my previous post.) Best thing about the project, by far. The rest of it? Half-baked vaporware, I suspect. Maybe not though. People who played demo games of Mekton Zero at conventions say Mike had a whole binder full of all the new rules, but I don't know what to make of that. I remember him talking a lot about some kind of video game mechanic he really liked at the time and how he wanted to integrate it into Mekton. I wasn't impressed by what little I heard about that.

At the end of the day, I think the project is well and truly dead. Mike has really climbed to exceptional heights with Cyberpunk, and I don't really see him bothering much with Mekton anymore. I could be wrong though! I know some people have tried to buy the property from him and he's said no (wise decision) but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll ever do anything with it.

Anyway, I hope that offers some insight. As you can see, I don't have the whole picture myself.
>>
>>22546596
Welllll, FASA licensed the artwork of those anime mechs -- it's just that back then the rights to such things were a sloppy, jumbled mess. Way different from today. Still, I'm with you. I never liked how Battletech piggybacked on the power of art and design done for other projects.
>>
File: Mekton Z Cover the 1st.jpg (148 KB, 497x523)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>22546758
>the sentinel's art is so damn good
Glad you feel that way! Operation Rimfire's #1 agenda was to feel like a real anime.
>was there ever any art made of the zaku-like as well? i like izubuchi's GMs but have always been more of a zaku man
Ah yes, the "Gorgon Zolo"... There's sketch artwork of it somewhere. The Sentinel was designed/drawn by Benjamin Wright, and the Gorgon Zolo was sketched by Mark Schumann, based on mixing the Gorgon from Mekton Z with elements of the Zoloatt from Victory Gundam (which was airing at the time I think). I might have a copy of the sketch around. If I don't, they might. Let me look and see.... Nope, I don't have it. I'll ask them.
>>
>>22547402
>Cheers, comrade! I'm actually much more of an /m/ regular, usually. /mechm/ is the only part of /tg/ I spend much time in. #2 would be the PDF share thread of course, but only for spoonfeeding most of the time. Which is why I guess I haven't noticed /tg/ getting shittier. Besides, this is 4chan, where everything is always shitty, right? (i keed, I keed. Sortof.)
You raise a fair point, but /tg/ really went down the shitter with the new mods/jannies. /btg/ ended up looking/sounding like a /soc/ thread with some gay namefag posting his ass and stuff and not catching bans, despite blatantly breaking the rules every thread. Add Whiteagle and his stupidity, as well as CGL openly taking over every community space where BT is discussed and it was a nightmare of a general. The rest of /tg/ is no better either, considering the sheer amount of shilling, blatant favoritism in breaking rules and the overall feel. But that's enough ranting for me. It's not the topic at hand.
>>
>>22547402
>>22547417
Thanks for trying to QRD the situation anon. Just seems like the usual big idea project that didn't have the resources to come to furition.
>>
>>22547251
There are official Maschinen Krieger minis, plus knockoffs for HG whenever Home shows up
>>
>>22547433
The issue with Rimfire is that it feels like the GM is watching an anime and explaining it to you
>>
File: ZM-S06G_Zollidia(LM).png (32 KB, 566x934)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>22547433
the zoloatt/zollidia struck me as really excellent follow-ups to the zaku for the victory era. it's no wonder the zolo seems neat then
>>
While not specifically a mecha game, 40k has some of my favorite mech designs
>>
File: 007.jpg (1.22 MB, 1300x1300)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>22547560
You're not wrong.

>>22547491
Not an anon, I am MektonBro! (no cape needed) I namefag in the /tg/ /mechm/ ("Mecha Monday") threads because I worked at R. Talsorian during the 1990s and helped develop Mekton Z (as well as many Cyberpunk 2020 supplements). I'm namefagging here 'cuz this thread is sorta serving as this week's /mechm/ thread.

All that said, I confess dumbness. What is this 'QRD' of which you speak? Maybe it's for "Quizzically Responding Dumbass" -- aka me!!

>>22547712
I've contacted Mark Schumann to see if I can get a scan of his sketch.

>>22548200
They do have some good 'uns.
>>
>>22548200
The Defiler has practically been awful in every edition but it's still my favorite Chaos design.
>>
>>22548336
nta but typically QRD stands for quick rundown
>>
>>22545524
MechaStellar is a tabletop SRW style wargame. Here's a brief synopsis:
-d10 system with alternating activations
-Each turn a unit can move, shoot and melee in any order
-Fast combat resolution with shooting vs evade or melee vs melee dice pools.
-A Momentum system that ebbs and flows during battle and lets you protect your units or tear through the ranks
-We started off as a Gundam-only game so lethality towards grunts is very high, you can definitely cleave one in half with a single swing of your beam saber.
-Scale neutral, use whatever models or minis you want.

Units
-The system can be scaled for small style games (2vs2 or 5vs5) or larger games (20vs20 or 5vs20 for horde games)
-Mobile Suits have the best Move & Evade but the smallest HP growth
-Kaiju & Warships have the worst Move & Evade but the best HP growth
-Super Robots are in the middle.
-Over the years we've done a lot of QoL adjustments to make all the units play the same to cut down on book keeping and make it easier to mix and match for SRW style games.

Roster
-We do monthly roster and balance updates and polls for the community to choose the next series
-200+ Mecha Units Profiles for Mobile Suit Gundam, 70+ Unit profiles for other series
-Current roster includes the following series: Gundam, Mazinger, Getter, Combattler + Voltes, GaoGaiGar, Gurren Lagann, Big O, NGE & Escafowne.

Gametypes
-VS Mode
--Simple death match battle
--Secure the Objective being most similar to 40k 'Take and Hold' style gameplay
--Defend the City / Rampage is an alternate game mode that has one player incentivized to demolish the terrain you setup in addition to the enemy
-Small Versus games typically take 30-90min, larger games take 1 - 2 hours.
-A cooperative / solo mode if you want more of a Zeonic Front style game where you take your small squad through premade missions with a behavior table for enemies.

You can find the rules and mecha profiles on our website: https://mechastellar.com/game-downloads/
>>
File: Big Battle Odessa (13).jpg (2.69 MB, 4096x3072)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
>>22545684
>>22545767
There are a couple systems out there for using 1/144 scale Gunpla. If you want more in depth 1v1 Gunpla game you might want to check out Plamo vs Plamo.

Our system was designed for larger armies in mind so if you want to do 30 Zaku IIs you definitely can; picrel is Federation vs Zeon battle with 15 vs 21 units, since there was only 1-2 Ace units per side the game went fast and took <2 hours.

As others have mentioned though there are issues that come up with using larger figures. I wouldn't recommend playing on anything smaller than a 4'x4' table. Then you have to consider targeting and how model size affects gameplay.

We often play with 1/400 or ~1/200 scale figures which are 1.5"-3.5". It is trivially easy to have a small 1.5" figure hide behind standard sized 28mm terrain and block LOS. Meanwhile for 1/144 scale figures Gunpla (and similar sized Chogokins) you need to have some massive buildings or rocks to hide them effectively. Even with N-Scale sized model train buildings it's going to be difficult to get a figure fully obscured from the enemy.

>>22546720
If you're local is running MechaStellar let me know if I can answer any rules questions you have before your first game.

>>22546841
The Gundam 1/400 collection is great, I love these and own way too many at this point. It's nice they're a soft memory plastic because you can throw them into a toolbox and never worry about them getting damaged.
>>
File: 1711539936556101.png (1.71 MB, 1272x782)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB PNG
>>22548767
is she okay
>>
>>22548992
Eva-01 was doing great in the previous round, survived a hit from Wing's Buster Rifle then later Shining Finger which caused it to go Berserk.
The GX Divider's Beam Shield finished it off though lol.
>>
Does anyone actually like the old TRO designs or is it just people being contrarian towards the new stuff
>>
>>22548992
She needs some milk
>>22549344
it really depends on the unit imo
Ex: The nu-Wolverine is objectively a downgrade, but the nu-Black Knight is great
>>
>>22549344
I believe liking TRO designs involves shoving a pipe full of copium direct into one's rectum
>>
>>22549366
The Wolverine doesn’t count because it’s from Dougram, I’m talking about ones designed for Battletech specifically
>>
>>22549425
In that case it's usually an improvement on the really old TRO designs.
I will say I prefer Plog's work over Scroggins' but that's not really a controversial opinion.
>>
>>22549460
>I will say I prefer Plog's work over Scroggins' but that's not really a controversial opinion.
It's as controversial as not wanting to swallow broken glass.
>>
I know in the next few weeks the Robotech Among the starts TTRPG book is dropping, Goona probably get flak but I love how it plays and they are actually exploring the alien races unlike Palladium.

the guys actually seem to care about what they are writing and in giving a good looking product that functions.
>>
>>22549740 Among the stars* Minor spelling error, also I meant their kickstarter my brain's fucking shot today.
>>
Z-G is a game that existed
it was some manner of action-figures that you could theoretically customize if it hadn't flopped and they made expansions
I have no idea if it's any good. I bought a case of a dozen figs like twenty years ago on ebay because it was cheap af
also Mark Rein*Hagen (the vampire guy) was involved
>>
File: pic465331.jpg (2.19 MB, 2348x3284)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
>>22549795
>look it up on wikipedia
>"Many factors are cited for this failure, but the largest single reason was the loss of its main distributor following 9/11"
Yeah, that'll do it.
Looks neat thoughever, reminds me of custom robo.
>>
>>22549795
Oh! I remember this!
>>22549740
>>22549742
Is this the Savage Worlds Robotech, or some other one? I can't keep track of who's making the games. Annnnnnd also what's this about "exploring the alien races"? That sounds iffy.
>>
>>22549856
this is Strange machine games and by that Imean that they are going through and giving the aliens equipment, tools and weapons. something palladium never wanted to give them... also less perytonian sphere's of light.

SMG's making the Sentienls and actual faction with weapons that aren't all just 'Oh hey alpha fighters or what ever the humans are using' And actually allowing them to use human equipment instead of palladium not letting the races use anything.

SMG's also putting hte savage worlds Robotech in their next kickstarter to help out BPI who last year lost their president who was working on the savage worlds books, with updated mecha rules in line with the newest release of Savage worlds Sci-fi mecha rules.
>>
>>22549869
The Sentinels. Gyeeeeesh. Talk about the bottom of the Robotech barrel. It did have a handful of passable mecha designs (the Invid Inorganics and the mobile land base thing) but other than that, blech.
>>
>>22551314
yeah, it's why SMG went back to it to give everyone new mecha and equipment. and have actually good art compared to the comics. That and they did both macross saga and Masters/New gen already. Like the art they showed off for the stuff is pretty rad.

Here's a piece with some Black Death Invid.
>>
>>22551462
Huh! Well well well, that is definitely not terrible. Good on them!
>>
>>22551612
Mhmm That and the systems pretty fun with a small pool d6 that thrives around players working their approach to a problem with the skills as any skill can work for any type of encounter. Since the skills are ways to go about it.
>>
File: GorgonZolo_0001.jpg (355 KB, 1440x1440)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>22546758
>was there ever any art made of the zaku-like as well?
>>22547433
>Ah yes, the "Gorgon Zolo"... There's sketch artwork of it somewhere. The Sentinel was designed/drawn by Benjamin Wright, and the Gorgon Zolo was sketched by Mark Schumann, based on mixing the Gorgon from Mekton Z with elements of the Zoloatt from Victory Gundam (which was airing at the time I think). I might have a copy of the sketch around. If I don't, they might. Let me look and see.... Nope, I don't have it. I'll ask them.
Schumann came through! Here's the front
>>
File: GorgonZolo_0002.jpg (324 KB, 1166x1440)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>22552190
and here's the back
>>
File: bluesong02.jpg (1.22 MB, 1600x2320)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
How playable is the VOTOM RPG game from RTelsorian Im having a itch too fucking do some red shoulder shenanigans but the limited AT roster rubs me the wrong way a lil bit and im way to ADHD too convert the Ground Fatty too the system to satiate my own autism
>>
>>22552212
It’s okay but tangibly inferior to just reskinning Heavy Gear.
>>
>>22552212
Wish I could tell you, I'd like to try it someday but I've never have dealt with the Fuzion system. From what I understand it plays like a streamlined mix of Mekton and Cyberpunk 20XX.
>>
>>22552212
IIRC the license would only let us give rules to stuff that was in the original TV series.
>>
>>22552232
how is the Heavy gear rpg? I wanted to grab it but missed the kickstarter is it good? why type of dice does it run?
>>
>>22552278
It's, slightly controversal. 4e anyway. The system seems like it could be the most refined its ever been but issues with the book layout and rules being lost in it's paragraphs are a big issue, in short the book is ugly. the /tg/ monday thread was actually just talking about it. On top of that there's no adventure mods yet so none of us have had the chance to really play it, the lazy GMs anyway. All the dice are d6s, similar to how blitz plays in that you role a primary die as your base result then every additional die adds a modifier to your base die. I think it's a solid way of working as it hits that nice balance of skill and luck. 2e has better presentation but it's rules are more archaic. I can't confirm if 2e is better to try than the Votoms RTG game. They might be on equal footing.
>>
>>22552297
I only had found about heavy gear in the last year so I'm interested in trying it but is ther not even like a short adventure thing in the back of the book?
>>
>>22552320
No, you could convert the old modules like Operation: Jungle Drums or the Paxton Gambit for now but we're still waiting on the new / remade adventures for 4e. Right now 2e or Votoms are your best bet for out of the box adventures.
>>
>>22552325
bit annoying since I like to use adventures as a bench mark for how the designers think the game should be played. See the Renegade transformers stuff. on paper it's interesting enough and changes up the dice enough that it's not just 5e. but the adventures have 0 problems for the players losing or getting their ass beat.
>>
>>22552330
by this I mean there's no punishment. and 99% of the time the bad guys say a cheesy line and leave.
>>
>>22552330
I agree, right now backers are playing the waiting game for proper 4e adventures to play. I'm sure they'll show up at somepoint but for now 4e doesn't have a campaign to play, just modding tools. Along 4e modules I'm also waiting to try Metallic Guardian and Embryo Machine RPG at somepoint but I gotta wait for them to be translated.
>>
>>22552338
I know Wares blade is also getting translated and I've been told it's dunbine line. Could try Salvage union, it seems pretty neat.
>>
>>22552297
The good news about the rules being lost in paragraphs is that it’s all weird ancillary stuff like equipment effects or the way certain weapons work. You can miss them completely and still have a grasp on the core mechanics. The layout in general is a bit of a mess, though.

>>22552320
>>22552344
It was supposed to launch with a pair of introductory adventures but they’ve been delayed, and they wouldn’t quite meet >>22552330’s standards of designer intent either since they’re more of a conscious onboarding for the system rather than a “this is what we can do” like the next ones would be.

That said if you want to run it as VOTOMS you’d need to make up your own adventures anyway.
>>
I wanna like heavy gear I really do but the further the setting goes/strays from the North Vs South conflict the lest interested I am DESU. NvS is such Gilgames VS balarant as expys that everything else just feels weird
>>
>>22552394
I mostly like some of the colonies. Though I can also understand just wanting to keep things purely North vs South. I guess it's Heavy Gears 3025 problem that BT has, though not nearly as bad. Caprice has cool cyberpunk vibes, Utopia cold war and AI, New Jerusalem is basically a planet where the Brotherhood of Steel with GMs watches over a wasteland shithole, Atlantis with it's underwater cities. The only colony that I dislike so far is Eden but even then I could see others liking them. I think a problem is that they're just not as fleshed out as Terra Nova is. you can really sink your teeth into this one planet that the others just don't hold up, on top of that they don't have as many cool designs, Caprice so far is the runner up and they live in a cramp city on a primordial planet. I wish Utopia and Eden got more APE designs as so far it's still my favorite unit on both planets, as well as just factional elaboration as I hardly know much about say, Steelgate and Kogland.
>>
>>22545524
>Battletech is still going strong in the game stores I frequent. Post your favorites tabletop mecha games.

I still play Battletech to this day but I refuse to purchase or support any of CGL shit products, fuck those bastards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWn7Wki0XM
>>
File: yujiKaidaGearaDoga.jpg (931 KB, 1200x1730)
931 KB
931 KB JPG
>>22552190
>>22552192
i could see the zoloat but it honestly looks like there's a lot of geara doga in there too, awesome!
the bayonetted beam rifle looks cool as well
thank you for sharing all of this
>>
>>22552212
>How playable is the VOTOM RPG game from RTelsorian Im having a itch too fucking do some red shoulder shenanigans but the limited AT roster rubs me the wrong way a lil bit and im way to ADHD too convert the Ground Fatty too the system to satiate my own autism
Well, there are rules in the back to construct new ATs, so you could look up the specs of the various ones you want (like the ground Fatty) and build them. And if you wanted to get more in-depth, there's Mekton Z+ with its complete construction system. They're compatible.

>>22552879
Sure thing, man! The bayonetted beam rifle is, I think, pretty heavily inspired by the one for the R-Jarja and Zaku III. At least what with the bayonet and the overall stubbiness.
>>
just gonna post some more of the robotech ttrpg art they have been showing off on twitter.

but what's your guy's favorite dice style ot work with mecha games you prefer super crunchy or more 'anime' style where it's easier to get into?
>>
File: mektonzero_cover.jpg (150 KB, 800x520)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>22553260
OK, that's that dropship/mobile base thing. Cool, glad to see it again. I have zero love for Robotech, especially The Sentinels, but I like that crazy vehicle and that's pretty good art. Thumbzup!
>>22553260
>but what's your guy's favorite dice style to work with mecha games
I personally dislike dice pools. Let just roll a die or two and add some modifiers, come on.
>do you prefer super crunchy or more 'anime' style where it's easier to get into
Talk about loading your question! I don't think they're mututally exclusive. That said, I like crunch, but over the years I've migrated from high crunch to medium crunch. Narrative style ain't mine.
>>
>>22553348
apologies I didn't mean to load that question. I admit over the years crunch felt like a crutch and slowed down games to a crawl in combat.

Also yeah it's the GMU it's a land carrier more or less and can hold like 32 total mecha.

I'm a weirdo also who likes Macross *AND* Robotech. which some people seem to really not get...
>>
>>22553260
I prefer mine more streamlined. Not sure why it would be considered 'anime' style tho, hehe.
I think I locked into this preference when I compared classic battletech to HG and found that I'm having the same sort of 'fun' in a far shorter timeframe.
>>
File: harmony-gold_17556.jpg (110 KB, 1286x684)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>22553260
That looks nice but holy fuck, why is HG (the bad one) trying to make Robotech a thing still?
>>
File: Vanilla-Sky-money-1.jpg (59 KB, 844x473)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>22553399
>>
>>22553399
They never really stopped from what I understand, multiple comics and stuff techincally this is not from HG itself but they do oversee approvals. But Tommy Yune seem's to want to bring it back and work with Macross too.

though sadly macross is once again failing to sell in the Us once again with the failing of hte new macross insight shooter.
>>
>>22553570
>macross is once again failing to sell in the US
gee I wonder why, couldn't be because of Harmony Gold's outright copyright trolling for a night 40 fucking years stifling any attempt for the franchise to get a proper hold in the west, it was funny when they announced that Disney/Hulu had gotten the streaming rights to Macross in the west only to then say that the Original Series and DYRL were exempted in the US because low and behold Harmony Gold

>failing of the new Macross Insight shooter
>not failing because its a throwaway shmup title
yes the genre we've been clamoring for in regards to Macross
>>
File: gr2kzv70uel21.jpg (1.23 MB, 3264x2448)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
Did any of you guys ever play the one with the Clix bases/ it was pretty good, very affordable too.
>>
>>22553727
DYRL isn't HG, that's Studio Toho entirely. HG has nothing to do with DYRl we know since flashback 2012 is coming to disney in the US and that has DYRL stuff in it but was fully produced by big west.

for game we should have gotten the delta scramble or one of the PSP style games
>>
>>22552394
>>22552838
Agreed on North Vascularly South being the core of Heavy Gear, which is why the CEF invasion is getting wrapped up soon to go back to it. At the same time there’s a plan to expand the colonies more separately because as has been said there are good ideas that deserve to be expanded on there (except for Eden and even that one’s worthwhile as an exercise in how silly things can get).

>>22553570
The shooter failed to sell because it looks like crap, not because of a lack of interest in Macross (an interest that largely stems from Robotech ironically enough, though Macross Plus has a fair bit too.)
>>
>>22553873
How did Versus become Vascularly?
>>
>>22554073
lifting, bro
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A901jfXTgwY
I'm excited that this got announced that it's been licensed.
>>22546955
>but it's not exactly cheap like Battletech either
it's sad that Battletech minis from IWM have jumped in price so much, I prefer metals but I'm not dropping $20 for a single mini. they're also getting into FOMO, they released a Wasp and Valkyrie based on the new CGL sculpt for a two week window and then pulled it from sale.
>>
>>22554108
I think he means the plastic minis
In terms of pricing HG plastics and BT plastics go at about the same rate and HG metals are actually cheaper than BT metals. It’s just that BT plastics are fantastic while HG plastics range from “kinda okay” to “who thought this was a good idea”
>>
>>22554159
Hg metals aren’t cheaper if you count shipping
>>
>>22554159
BT metals used to be cheap, which is what I was lamenting. there's been several price increases across the whole IWM catalog, the most recent one in 2022 raised the price of all mechs by $3-7
>>
>>22553873
I was saying it was failing because of that. it's worse then the robotech one from the gameboy era where you can actively transform. and while that one's not great like... Why can't we get Good macross games they have them on pc and Ps4.

also one of my fave things. in order to get extra art pieces SMG sells art slots for the robotech books here's one I got of the Bioroid Destroyer

Though I think i'm gonna grab the HG (Heavy Gear) Books and check them over.
>>
>>22554243
same person but actually is the heavy gear editon 4 on their website to buy? I was struggling with my idiot brain to find which one was the right book
>>
>>22553399
Robotech is just an avenue for HG to facilitate mob money laundering
>>
>>22554274
I don't think so I was looking to buy it as well and didn't see it, but we could both be blind and stupid.
>>
File: 129.jpg (135 KB, 1000x750)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>22554274
>>22554337
Don't worry, you ain't blind nor stupid. DP9 just didn't start selling it 4e for some reason.

If you wanna have intro to the lore, check the revitalized version of 2e.
>>
>>22554383
>DP9 just didn't start selling it 4e for some reason
My guess is that they're waiting to get all the backers first before they start selling to the public. If anons are that curious I'm sure they could find a copy on the high seas, but since the adventure modules aren't out it's probably best to stick to 2e for now.
>>22554159
I kinda mean both, Battletech games on average field something like 1 lance per person. a Heavy Gear Blitz "lance" or combat group would be an introductory 50tv game. Blitz standard games are 150tv. You just field more units on Heavy Gear due to the nature of the game, but that means you also spend more to get everything setup, on top of also needing proper miniature terrain as Blitz is a WYSIWYG wargame like 40k, it's not as abstracted. CBT is simpler since its terrain is hex maps. Alpha Stike would be a different beast though and is more comparable to Heavy Gear in terms of style and pricing but on the whole Battletech is the cheaper experience.
>>
File: mambaplasticvsmetal.jpg (101 KB, 725x533)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>22554159
>to “who thought this was a good idea”
What they did to the Mamba is a literal and actual crime against aesthetics
>>
>>22554644
Eh I think the Mamba is reletively unscathed, they just look stiff. To me it's the Jaguars and Iguanas that are the problem
>>
>>22554672
Really? Jaguar's main issue was just that it looks virtually identical to the Hunter. But I thought that was an issue even for the metal models
>>
>>22554696
>Jaguar's main issue was just that it looks virtually identical to the Hunter.
That's always been a problem with the design itself but the issue I have with the plastics is that it's now even harder to tell them apart. The details were how you could distinguish the two units and now those details exist even less. The prime giveaway is that the head of the plastic Jaguar looks almost exactly like the plastic Hunter, where as before you could get glimpses of the difference in the sensor eyes or the Jaguars additional sensors in-cased around it's head. Now the only real tell from the head is the top sensor visor thing. As for the Iguana, it's proportions are just fucked. So far the best plastic mini from the North, South lineup is actually the Ferret imo. I can hardly even tell the difference, except the plastics stiff poses I guess but the metals for the Ferret aren't much different. I also think the plastic Grizzlies look fine.
>>
>>22554383
any adventures you recommend for the 2nd edition revised that are good to get into the game with?
>>
>>22554644
The plastics stink. If they were fully gonna commit to that level of quality, they should have upped the scale slightly and made the designs a little more exaggerated.
>>
>>22554903
same person but I am thinking off getting hte 2nd revitalized bundle, you guys think it's worth it? it's 50% off
>>
>>22554903
Depends on the vibe you want but Operation Jungle Drums Redux and Paxton Gambit aren't too bad for an adventure to play with as a starter. Jungle Drums would be good for something with the flavor of the Kummen Arc of Votoms.
>>22554945
It's slightly pricey but if it's 50% off it might be worth it. The Revitalized PDFs are very nice, having a crisp image and some vector graphics to make the whole thing pop. You could always check out the trove as well if you're low on cash and want to check out the other stuff.
>>
>>22554937
I think the best option to go with would simply be plastic recreations of the metal molds, instead of that weird faux-plamo thing they went for. Makes me wonder why they went for that.
>>22554945
Well, it would set you up for everything related to HG lore-wise, the hi-rez PDFs look great and I'm pretty sure with a little amount of rejiggering it would also give you a wealth of material for 4e. I still think it's pricey as fuck, tho.
And yeah, Jungle Drums is good.
>>
>>22554274
>>22554383
4e should be released to buy when the physical copies have all shipped to the backers

>>22554937
>>22555112
The original North and South plastics were made by people with no experience with plastic miniatures so they looked like total shit. The later plastics are better.

>>22554903
>>22554945
I absolutely recommend revitalized, it's all the stuff that got people to fall in love with Heavy Gear in the first place. Adventures-wise it's scarce but Jungle Drums is okay.
>>
>>22555153
>The later plastics are better.
I will second that. PR and Nucoal's are nice and can even get some 'dynamic' poses.
>>
>>22554383
>>22554553
>>22555153
Thanks for the recommendation ill check out 2e revitalized.
>>
>>22555153
>>22555112
>>22555082
decided to get them, figure I got my tax money. but question next is the art of heavy gear, those good?
>>
>>22555262
It's pretty decent, it was the only way to get a lot of the original art in color before 4e.
>>
>>22555267
nice well there's $221 of my tax money gone to a fun setting damn the canadians
>>
>>22555153
>>22555267
>>22555112
>>22555082
Last question on heavy gear for the next 2.5 nano seconds. the tabletop wargame. how is it? I have battletech stuff that I need to still learn to paint, but is the base game good? I was thinking of trying it on TTS at somepoint since the chads at Dreampod 9 have a free thing for it.
>>
File: 20240302_162753.jpg (101 KB, 812x552)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>22555283
Blitz is super fun and does combined arms really well. I have a a series of TTS batReps I made for it if you're interested.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7n9Lk9WUhM_8DW4SNNJqu9NmxwjMv1nn&si=DGhRYvMpegdTmCkj
>>
>>22555283
Blitz is good. You'll find a different flavor from it compared to Battletech. You're fielding more units that aren't kings of the battlefield. Tanks in a lot of areas are like boss battles to Gears, you have to use the terrain to your advantage as to not get sniped in an open battlefield. Overall Blitz can be described as more nimble and simplified compared to Battletech. Some drawbacks imo are that certain factions get a lot more love than others. It's recommended to maybe stick with one of the Terranovan factions at first, though Caprice and CEF aren't too bad picks either. It's recommended to start with a 50tv game of Hunters vs Jagers to get a feel for how the game operates.
>>
File: giphy.gif (929 KB, 480x250)
929 KB
929 KB GIF
>>22555302

>Elite Gear pilot when a helicopter shows up on radar
>>
>>22555324
lol, I actually have yet to encounter any chopers. I thought about maybe getting a Rock Beetle for my north army. I do have some Razorbacks for some anti-air stuff should my opponents ever field one. I'm curious to how they opperate against Gears, Tanks, even Infantry I guess.
>>
>>22555330
Helicopters can be absolutely terrifying if used right but expensive paperweights if used wrong
>>
File: Titan (1).jpg (107 KB, 837x618)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>22555330
They have a couple of elements that make them extremely threatening to just about anything. Crazy agility due to ability to go airborne at will, terrain and cover mostly cease to be a factor. Attacking from the air gives an innate bonus against ground targets. Multiple actions and both super precise AT missiles against armored targets and AoE rocket packs.
They're just an absolute threat if you use them correctly, especially with a Spotter.

The rock beetle is more of an airborne APC tho. I was referring to Titans/Scorpions.
>>
>>22555336
>>22555330
Funny enough, infantry are actually the only unit type I can think of that are actually pretty resistant to Heli's various advantages. That's the kind of shit I like about the game
>>
jesus christ, I just checked my backerkit for battletech and noticed the shipper is charging $200 for the $500's I ordered. what the actual fuck.
>>
>>22555485
Apparently thats an issue with the shippers and CGL is looking into it
>>
>>22555497
I fucking hope so like the cowboy bebop one, the robotech one,fragged empire, avatar, none of them had it this bad.

on a different note though going to start reading second edition heavy gear.
>>
File: IMG-20240401-WA0002.jpg (420 KB, 1600x1600)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>22555531
Sweet, enjoy
>>
>>22557950
haven't gotten far but it seems really cool. I'm also enjoying the art style, how it's like half anime half battletech it feels like.
>>
Out of curiousity, what would this thread recommend for an Armored Core kind of tabletop experience? Specifically AC6.
>>
>>22558011
Check out the Embryo Machine boardgame. It plays very fast with a movement system & customization that really bring AC to mind.

>>22558006
I'm an absolute sucker for that. It's like those 'how to draw manga' manuals, except filled to the brim with soul and really good mecha designs
>>
>>22552845
Yeah it's a shame what happened to Battletech, CGL really seized the chance to take over every social media group they could
>>
>>22558011
Apocalypse Frame
>>
>>22558011
Mekton Z
>>
>>22558100
Getting rid of Pardoe was worth any amount of pandering
>>
>>22559504
>adventure
so who is Pardoe and what did they do?
>>
>>22559867
Not >>22559504, but Pardoe was a core author of BattleTech technical readouts, short stories and novels for decades. He got the boot for his right wing political views after some a dude who pretended to be a lesbian nurse harassed CGL over him. Said dude among other things threatened to kill himself in front of Pardoe's daughter or Granddaughter to intentionally "ruin her life". Left wing zealots called it a great success and it has led to the era of CGL courting the DEI crowd. It's all fucking stupid.
>>
>>22559885
It's true that he shouldn't have been kicked out for his political views. However, he should have been kicked out for being a terrible author who churned out dogshit and kept ruining the setting. How he continued to get work after Hour of the Wolf I don't know.
>>
>>22559886
Hour of the Wolf was bad, but such is Clanshit. He put out some good short stories in Shrapnel and the Clan Invasion kickstarter collection. Dude got shafted, pure and simple. Left wing, Right wing - unless you're murdering people or fucking kids you should not have to worry about someone harassing your family and workplace with threats and whatnot.
>>
File: 1705895492491648.png (56 KB, 250x250)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
Has anyone tried LANCER? The mechbuilding rules seem pretty great and the art style and setting are neat
>>
>>22559979
Many have tried and played Lancer, but talking about it here tends to get ugly FAST.
>>
>>22560580
I don't recall /m/ dogging on Lancer as hard as /tg/ does, but then again I could be proven wrong, hell maybe /m/ hates it more since there's a general dislike towards western mecha here.
>>22559979
I played a session once. It was fun but the out of cockpit experience was kinda weak. They should have considered a Lancer wargame spin-off.
>>
>>22559979
I've played in a game of Lancer and DMed one. Lancer does the mechbuilding and combat pretty well but everything else poorly the out of cockpit rules are so barebones they might as well be nonexistent you are basically just playing make believe instead of a game during those sections. There is also the political shit flinging that happens every time Lancer is brought up at least on /tg/
Like >>22560595 they should have made a wargame spin-off or just have made Lancer a wargame in the first place IMO.
>>
>>22560704
>>22560595

I've looked it over and you ethier start out without any uniqueness between player mecha's or players have their full build by like liscence level 3 or something. it feels like they didn't balance progression at all.
>>
Ok same anon that bought all the 2e books, I love the rule set though sadly 2e suffers from a similar problem to palladium but to a lesser extent, god stats. But so far I like it.
>>
>>22562924
I'm glad you like it. 4e does specifically recitify the god stat issue, but 2e and it's related books are still honestly fantastic source books for everything related to the HG world, and are a joy to both read and look at.
>>
>>22563056
Heard that from the devs I'll need to see it myself but I like the book so far. With its weirdly how to draw anime art but good. And its setup it seems like a neat universe. One of the devs even recommended the new breed as another adventure module
>>
>>22563433
All the classic adventures are going to get official conversions but there’s been a slowdown in the production process for some reason
>>
>>22563551
could be anyhting, having seen how much work goes into these products.
>>
File: 1708279357686421.png (969 KB, 1000x691)
969 KB
969 KB PNG
I don't play the game, only build the models but titanicus is cool
>>
File: 20240405_004856.jpg (1.56 MB, 2202x2935)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
Rest in Peace, AT-43, you were too good for this world
>>
>>22563933
is that from that dust game?
>>
>>22563933
Wha happun
>>
Anyone play Maschinen Krieger in 15mm? How is it?
>>
>>22564352
I always thought it was just a model line. It has a rules set too?
>>
File: RH-Rackham-AT-43-3.jpg (143 KB, 1219x909)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>22564166
Nope it's from AT-43 (after trauma 43), a mix between Dust and 40k
>>
File: at43_1651541407062.jpg (466 KB, 2048x1437)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>>22564790
Responsible for one of the hardest pieces of art known to man
>>
>>22564886
looks neat, never heard of it though.
>>
File: 1688449944964501.jpg (942 KB, 2048x1536)
942 KB
942 KB JPG
>>22564717
>>22564352
The 15mm rules seem to still be in playtesting. If you go to canberra you can play a game lol. Otherwise it's the old hex and chit game.

Also I want to post this again because it's neat. It's apparently a fanmade game.
>>
so anon here who bought the Heavy gear bundle, out of newblood, paxton gambit and jungle drums, which would be best for new players/gm's and what actually is entailed in them? I've been going over the core book and art books bust just want something to look at to cover them while struggling to stay away and unable to read the books at this time.
>>
>>22566184
Jungle drums is specifically designed as an intro adventure
>>
>>22566219
alright what does it cover? like is it a mech focused game, infantry? survival horror. vietnam the ttrpg
>>
>>22565929
huh
did they figure out the lore for them? i've heard about a reisen panzer manga being out there. also, there's apparently UN-use models as well
>>
>>22566226
Mech-foot hybrid, track down and recon an enemy base
>>
>>22566231
Neat thanks
>>
Intro scenarios for HG4e should be out soon
>>
>>22569944
Oh fuck yeah!
>>
>>22569944
Wait really? Does this mean the core pdfs out now? Or soon?
>>
>>22570659
The core PDF is already out on the DP9 Mega. I assume that once the adventures are out, they'll also be available for sale.
>>
>>22570685
I know its on the mega but wanted to buy it cause dp9 seem cool
>>
File: V.jpg (1.08 MB, 1275x1653)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>22570690
That's mighty cool of ya
>>
>>22570695
Group of mine is looking to play a bit of it. If it works for us, I'm definitely thinking I'll toss some money on a proper copy.
>>
>>22570659
Soon once the physicals have shipped
>>
>>22570695
Look, I have standards.

I use the PDF shares to find games Iike and if I like em and run em, I buy em. Simple way to not be a shitter.
>>
>>22571049
Oh absolute same. Try before you buy is king
>>
>>22571062
I dunno if the dev's browse the boards, but if they do their stuff's good and I want to buy your PDF's give them to me already!
>>
File: f7g7nlw15g691.jpg (911 KB, 3024x3024)
911 KB
911 KB JPG
I wish that Bandai would have made a game using the Artifact kits. I have some Battletech plastic models but the details are soft and the mold lines are dire. The west is just so far behind Japanese model makers when it comes to plastic.
>>
>>22571202
that would be awesome but japan doesn't seem to want to check out tabletop games
>>
wish I could play Heavy Gear Tabletop, however there's like zero interest in Australia or Sydney.
I see battletech being played and all but I dont think it goes further than that, if I play BT I'd just field MadCats/TimberWolves and Mad Dogs

well all I can do is play Heavy Gear 2 on PC
>>
>>22571110
I’m here, I’m here! We just need to get the physicals out to the backers and then you can buy.

Honestly I’m fine with the PDF being shared around if it gets people to back the future KSes, though I’ll never say no to people paying for the book either.

>>22571268
There’s a TTS module for the minis game, and a roll20 one for the RPG in the works
>>
File: DougramGame.jpg (2.02 MB, 4032x3024)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>22571209
There is a growing interest, hell why wouldn't there be since wargames are a combination of plastic and gaming. 40k is obviously already pretty big in japan. In some cases Japan even beat the west in tabletop wargaming, at least for mecha wargames. There's one for Dougram as early as 1982, before Battletech existed.
>>22571202
Same, but even if not you could use homebrew rulesets like MechaStellar.
>>
>>22571277
Oh shit a real dev? nice, well Hello there. I like your books and plan to buy it as stated above.

thinking I'll do jungle drums as the first run with my players to test it.
>>
>>22571281
that's fair, desu I would think a gunpla based one could be pretty cool and really play into something people already have.
>>
>>22571378
Yeah I hang around the /tg/ threads a lot. Glad you like the game.
>>
>>22571410
I plan to try it and blitz both, since I bought the books might as well. also who ever the hell the artist is, I love the like... battletech western art, anime mix?
>>
>>22571428
Ghislaine Barbe? Yeah, he was great. Unfortunately he’s not around anymore.
>>
>>22571481
Ah RIP a good one.
>>
>>22571484
No he's still alive, he just works somewhere else now lol
>>
>>22571486
Oh... now I feel slightly stupider then I did 20 minutes ago
>>
>>22571277
>There’s a TTS module for the minis game
A dev suggesting players use TTS? An unpaid module from the look of the TTS DLC page at that. Bless you Dream Pod dev.
>>
>>22571268
If you're interested, the TTS module for Blitz is good times. See >>22555298 for deets
>>
>>22571428
His art was fucking great. it's a shame he didn't come back for 4e but the artists they got for it ain't half bad at least
>>
>>22571790
I might be shot for this but I actually like Cowgurs artwork more than Barbes. The tones are just nicer on the eyes, not as extreme gradients and softer colors. Plus the Gears themselves are textured very nicely. I still like Barbes artwork and he's still a leg up compared to some of the 4e artwork and definitely far better than my shitty drawing skills.
>>
>>22571845
I do recognize the points you've raised. I guess something that impressed me about Barbe's art was the sheer output volume he had. Guy inhaled air and exhaled robots.

But yeah the art/texture Cowgur does is really nice. It's cool that he's producing stuff for both BT and HG. If anything I wish there was even more of his stuff in HG material, without it getting cropped/resized
>>
>>22571281
The major issue is space. A lot of tiny Japanese apartments and not much in the way for gamestores. It's why GW actually has a strong presence since it decided to bring over GW shops into major metropolitan areas.
>>
File: mp2.jpg (284 KB, 1920x1080)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
Yo, for whoever's interested, we're running a HG2 dueling tournament in about a week and a half. There's a little custom gear maker as well, to try and supply some balance. (So you can't make a murder machine right from the get go- the more rounds you pass, the more funds you get).

HG2 MP is honestly a shit ton of fun, so I recommend you check it out. Join this server (and chat in the dueling league channel) if you're interested.
https://discord.gg/PSzhwMhacp
>>
>>22572477
I've never played hg2 only one how does it compare?
>>
>>22572703
HG2 introduces a lot of cool advances over 1. Zero-G combat, indirect weapons, stealth, melee combat. I'd say it's more of a Votoms sim than a MechWarrior clone like HG1 is. One possible downside is that there's no AC-like customization feature where you can swap out parts on a Gear, now this is more accurate to Heavy Gear's universe as well as featuring a lot more Gears in general but some anons would be disappointed and I can't say I don't see why. HG2 is also pretty brutal with it's difficulty and there's not adjustable difficulty. Best I can say is pick a heavier Gear like a Cobra or Kodiak if you're new to the game. That's another downside is that you can't swap Gears in the campaign of HG2, only make modifications.
>>
>>22571856
We’re doing an artbook for the 4e art that should have full size versions of all the art, though a side effect is that a lot of the new unit images will looks like complete crap since they were never intended to be scaled up this much
>>
>>22572747
that sucks, but I still plan to buy it since I got the other three.
>>
>>22572703
In general, much better combat but the story is less interesting. The gameplay now feels like more of 'it's own thing' instead of a MW2 mod.
>>
File: 20240410_092500.jpg (19 KB, 417x406)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>22572747
Why not comission someone to draw a hi rez version of one these, then
>>
ok decided to run jungle drums for my players (HG 2e as the system) I need to sit down and learn all these rules and how the system flows though, along with more lore so I can do the roleplay segements well though.

does anyone have any good video's or such that cover heavy gear lore? deep dive stuff or just surface level so I can double up my learning?
>>
>>22573540
Mac's Lore on jewutube made some nice HG related videos. The wiki is also somewhat handy.
>>
>>22573498
Because that would be money we could use for pictures of new units
>>
>>22546472
I prefer the .gg more. I think the overall look of the website is better, and how i don't need too scroll a bunch to read the whole artical a nice change too.
Sorry I can't give a better answer, I don't usually think about these things.
>>
>>22573540
Eh sorry to say >>22573543 is not wrong but both Macs and the Wiki are just getting started and are not refined at all. It's not on the level of Tex Talks or Sarna for Battletech. You're likely going to have to straight up read Life on Terra Nova to get a decent scoop of what's going on in Terra Nova.
>>
>>22546472
Heavy agree with >>22573967
.gg site is also much more sharing-friendly because it doesn't store images in webp
>>
>>22573967
>>22573988
Good to know, general opinion pointed at gg so I moved main operations there. Guess I should put the notice up on the mobile version of Fandom's version as well.
>>
>>22574015
the new person to heavy gear. the .GG looks and loads so much better.

>>22573987
I think my only annoyance in the books is they are all non color and it really hurts the maps like in jungle drums.
>>
>>22571209
They really like Call of Cthulhu over there and it got more popular in the past ten years. Mekton even got brought over there and localized as an official Gundam game in 2000 but that somehow fell through and there's never been and English translation of it
War gaming is just one extra step. Space was already a reason for why tabletop RPG's aren't as big in Japan, and they still a following. I got some books by a manga artist who really loves board games and stuff like that
>>
Anyone know anything about Wares Blade? It's getting an English translation next year.
>>
>>22574712
not but Lionwing does good translation stuff so I'm probably going to buy it.
>>
>>22574712
https://japanesetrpg.com/2021/08/22/wares-blade/
https://barkingalien.blogspot.com/2013/07/magic-and-machinery.html
>>
>>22560580
I'm surprised that didn't happen here. Any mention of it on /tg/ dooms a thread automatically into culture war shit. I still want to get into it, the lore and art is really cool to me
A wargame would've been cool and I bet they'll make a spin off one day, I know here's a fan video game being made right now.
>>
>>22574816
I was just reading those, the first site has a lot of cool shit on RPG's we'll never get, I recommend it.
>>22574992
The also just lie and paint the setting as more black and white than it is, it needs to fit their strawman. It's rare to get actual honest criticisms there, like the lack of actual ROLE playing
>>
anyone have a fillable sheet or such for Heavy gear 2e? trying to learn the system but all the links are sadly dead it seems.
>>
>>22574992
Lancer is a fun tactical combat game, it's just not a roleplaying game in any real capacity

Also the setting sucks but in practice you have to make your own setting anyway so that doesn't matter
>>
File: Nu vs Sazabi.jpg (215 KB, 1053x788)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>22571202
The artifact kits are 1/400 scale so you can use the "Gundam Collection 1/400 Tactical Battles" rules from Bandai. There's a facebook group that has the rules translated, they're simple and a lot of fun, my chief complaint would be it's very strict about movement and turning which doesn't fit Gundam all that well.

You can also try out MechaStellar for homebrew. For Gundam we have OYW through Zeta currently. If you want to use Hi-Nu we've got a draft for it available.
>>
>>22575139
Thanks anon, I'll take a look at those. I've got to find the rest of the Artifact kits I don't own at this point as they are very cute.
>>
File: Szalamandra3.jpg (336 KB, 1773x725)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
I still like Infinity's lil' landmate esque mechs the most of out these wargames. But on the table you can't focus on them too hard given the restrictions same armies have and their weaknesses that infantry is needed to cover. Battletech at least lets you play with all mechs with infantry and support vehicles being the optional component.
>>
>>22575159
or battletech let's you use hover craft and drifting to make every mechwarrior shit themselves.
>>
>>22575148
On ebay there's the "Hiro Gundam Store" which has a ton of 1/400 Gundam minis as well as a lot of artifact kits. In picrel my friend was using the artifact Nightingale which apparently was a huge pain to put together.

If you end up playing Bandai's 1/400 Tactical battles, I recommend doing some house ruling with whoever you play with just to make the game flow a little smoother. When we played we we let melee be a fixed distance (5cm) instead of base to base contact. We also allowed for pre-measuring.
>>
>>22574992
I pretty much lost any faith in it when I saw them rambling in interviews about how they don't care much about mechs and they don't actively watch any mech shows. They even said they deliberately took no reference from any existing mecha shows when building the setting. It's like that titanfall interview on steroids.
>>
>>22575392
So basically the same problem as most of battletech
>>
>>22575392
I thought they initially had no knowledge but watched a bunch of them during development
>>
File: zion100.jpg (93 KB, 640x480)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>22575148
>>22575139
>The artifact kits are 1/400 scale so you can use the "Gundam Collection 1/400 Tactical Battles" rules from Bandai.
Close... They're 1/320 scale. Pic is of Artifact's Zaku III next to Collection's Zaku III. Pic also shows how the Artifacts are off-model reinterpretations of the anime designs.
>>
>>22575179
>On ebay there's the "Hiro Gundam Store" which has a ton of 1/400 Gundam minis as well as a lot of artifact kits. In picrel my friend was using the artifact Nightingale which apparently was a huge pain to put together.

Took me a while to find, but here it is: "Gundam Collector Hiro's Shop"
https://www.ebay.com/str/hirogundamcollector/GUNDAM-COLLECTION-1-400-Scale/_i.html?store_cat=16029623018

Pic is the colored lineart of the Artifact Zaku III
>>
>>22575494
Battletech has the opposite problem. The people who made it were fond of mecha and took many plot points and designs straight from it but it's the players that try to divorce it
>>
File: DQOH31RUMAAAqJN.jpg (558 KB, 1536x2048)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
>>22574712
>>22574816
are there mecha designer credits for wares blade? the art strikes me as evocative of kazumi fujita's work on gundriver
>>
>>22576214
Nope, it's not Kazumi Fujita, though that is a good educated guess. It's Hitoshi Fukuchi, who's worked on a lot of stuff but almost never as the primary mecha designer.

I have to admit he's one of my least favorite mecha designers, but Wares Blade is (in my estimation) absolutely his best work and I really like it.
>>
>>22576242
oh, fukuchi makes sense. he likes the kinds of proportions used for this stuff
>>
>>22576242
>>22576263
I like him a lot, looking forward to this. He's definitely got some stretched x axis looking art though lol.
>>
File: IMG_8371.jpg (376 KB, 1369x1242)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>22575940
I mean the current people clearly aren’t (except for Stephen, he has his head on straight)
>>
>>22575876
Ah interesting, I don't think Artifact is officially a scale kit but a few of the Japanese blogs I read before buying one were comparing it to the 1/400 series. I have a few artifacts still in the box so I'm curious to see how proportionally they look next to the 1/300 SOG and the 1/350 G Sight.
My friend was using the Nightingale which is huge in general, so the size difference didn't seem that notable.
>>22576242
He did some great work on Fukuchi Station. The GM Spartan and Gouf Hunter being the standouts
https://www.mahq.net/fms/
>>
Heavy gear guys, I'm looking through the books but which ones have perks in them? Or is there an SRD or something that just lists them all?
>>
>>22577537
There's a list of perks/flaws in the 2E core book. You're talking about the ones for the vehicles, right?
>>
>>22577546
no for characters
>>
>>22577551
Oh. In that case, that's something I believe is only in the 4e rpg. It's on chapter 8 (Attributes).
>>
>>22577552
nah cause the 2e adventures have em in the premade characters. Here's Miranda's
>>
>>22577585
Ah shoot, you're right. Welp, I'm gonna bet it's gonna act mostly as a roleplaying thing, like a good part of the vehicle perks/flaws do.
>Many Perks are primarily intended for background and roleplaying purposes and do not have significant tactical effects on the vehicle’s overall combat performance.
In any case, there isn't an SRD I know that collects all of these.
>>
>>22577595
damn
>>
>>22577595
Heavy Gear has no SRD but it does have the SRID
>>
>>22549344
Checked.
The old designs that weren't lifted from somewhere else were legitimately godawful. Literally every IS mech in TRO3060 is horrific. Like I'm too embarrassed to post any because they suck so bad.

>>22554108
IWM is a passion project that probably loses money on mechs. They're able to stay in business because the owners have a metal injection molding company for industrial products. They did the limited run, not because they wanted to trigger impulse buys, but because they need those mold machines available for products that actually keep the lights on and food on the table.

>>22553729
Click tech was actually pretty fun, it just did the weird thing of not focusing on the mechs.
>>
File: Chasing HG.jpg (185 KB, 1080x687)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
I want to get into Heavy Gear, but I don't know where to start.
Where should I start, and could I get a basic explanation of all the playable factions?
>>
>>22582153
>Where should I start
Life on Terra Nova if you want a basic rundown on the lore. for games Blitz 3.1s rulebook should get you going in playing the wargame.
>could I get a basic explanation of all the playable factions
Keep in mind that most of the factions are actually made up of multiple states. They aren't as uniform in culture so this is extreme stereotyping on my end.
CNCS (North): Religious capitalist zealots
AST (South): Hedonistic expansionists
Peace River: """"neutral"""" weapons manufacturer and Terra Novas babysitter
NuCoal: Ex-Earth cartel and land of the duelist
Black Talons: Terra Nova's elite glowies
CEF(Earth): Vat grown fascists looking to take the resources of the colonies
Caprice: Cyberpunks living in a cramp city
Utopia: ChatGPT and cold war paranoia
Eden: Lord of the Rings extras and Pirates of the Caribbean extras.
>>
File: Grizzly.jpg (117 KB, 618x676)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>22582153
HGB is free on Drivethru RPG. 3.1 is the latest version. Nab it, it has some basic intro to the game's lore. If you wanna try playing it, you can do it via TTS.
I'll upload a 'faction summary' pdf later today that covers playstyles.

If you're interested more in the lore than in the game, than nab the 2e revitalized core off the Mega folder, it's a great and pretty comprehensive intro.

You can also take a look at this:
https://www.dp9.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Heavy_Gear_A_Visual_Tour.pdf
>>
>>22582153
>>22582156
>>22582174

I'd be down to learn HG blitz if you guys don't mind helping me along. (not he same guy as the one looking to start, I'm the guy who bought the bundle's of books)
>>
>>22582606
I'd love to. Take a look at my channel here >>22555298. Bunch of videos that show how the game plays. There's also a discord link in the descriptions, and if you wanna join in we can set up some matches to learn the ropes.
>>
>>22582153
Here is a good faction summary.
https://www.lumberingsprocket.com/2021/02/23/heavy-gear-faction-summary/
>>
>>22575888
it's not too bad. i dig the tow handlebar things they added
>>
>>22582156
>>22582174
>>22582979
Thanks alot for the answers and extras about the lore and stuff. From the little I've read, I think that the North, Peace river and NuCoal are the factions that appealing the most to me.

>>22582606
>>22582975
This sounds like fun, I would be down to learn it with you if you're willing. Just don't know if our time zones are compatible.
[Spoiler] I live in Europe [/Spoiler]
>>
File: F89hVrvXoAA3XP7.jpg (739 KB, 1317x1729)
739 KB
739 KB JPG
>>22584107
Oh no worries about that, we have fellas from all over the globe. We can figure something out.
>>
File: 1690982083107746.png (125 KB, 1100x1000)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>22584107
>No South
Well that's just plain discriminatory
>>
>>22584107
don't worry I just don't sleep
>>
>>22584230
>>22584424
That's reassuring to hear. So I just need to follow >>22555298 instructions and join the discord in the description?

>>22584234
Alright I'll bite into your South propaganda and try playing them and all other factions as well.
>>
File: GH8Q-NlWAAA2cta.jpg (819 KB, 2731x4096)
819 KB
819 KB JPG
>>22585921
That's right
>>
>>22585921
Souf exists to get munched by the glorious norf
>>
File: Heavy-Gear-Blitz-1.jpg (49 KB, 740x416)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
NUCOAL HERE, POLARS A SHIT
>>
>>22588658
Who the fuck let fallout and Nukacola in here.

(Who the fuck are nucoal)
>>
>>22588723
Desert weirdos and earth expats
>>
>>22588760
Ah so... losers
>>
>>22588765
Basically, but losers with hovertanks
>>
>>22588806
So losers with cool toys to steal. Got it.
>>
>>22558095
Ghislaine Barbe created a gorgeous style, and a couple subsequent artists have done an admirable job living up to it. Some have shit all over it, too. The crap DP9 was pushing out as art when they were jerking off NuCoal was atrocious. Thankfully Eldonius is now doing a very good job keeping the spirit of the original art alive.
>>
>>22572716
Dark Warrior for life.
>>
File: 20240421_110924.jpg (387 KB, 1586x1313)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
>>22588808
It also contains a city with the largest duelling arena on the planet, so it has a whole bunch of wouldbe aces who are trying to out-crazy each other.
>>
>>22591175
I don't think the art in that era was bad per say. It just did not fit Heavy Gear. Same with the semi-realistic Utopia art which I think was the same artist. I feel similar with another artist on 4e that has a strong 80s comic vibe to me. I'd love this art style for say a post-apocalyptic game but it's a bit weird for a mecha setting.
>>
>>22592266
Agree on that. That specific artist (Jacob Fleming) does some really awesome fantasy D&D art.
Apparently they picked him despite not really fitting HG's style (he doesn't even do Mecha). While his fantasy work is awesome, it was a pretty bad choice here.
>>
>>22592271
I think this guys style would be right at home with Tribe 8 if DP9 ever got back to that setting. It's good art, just not for Heavy Gear. Eldon knows how to capture the mecha energy a lot better imo. I hope DP9 can get him on again for future projects.
>>
>>22592175
Ah so a bunch of loser who dont like their toys and break them all the time.
>>
>>22592287
Tribe 8 is currently being worked on by a different guy, haven’t heard from him in a while
>>
>>22592783
Yeah what's the deal with that? It's running on Blades in the Dark now? Also not hearing back from the development is worrying, could be another Heavy Gear Universe on your hand. DP9 is way too nice in outsourcing. I'm not into Tribe 8 myself so I wouldn't be upset if it crashed and burned but I'd feel bad for the fans that are.
>>
>>22593009
Yeah it’s based on BITD, and we’ve been cutting back on the third party stuff since Universe, Assault, and Dreadnoughts all collapsed (though weirdly all for unrelated reasons). No idea what specifically is going on with Tribes in the Dark though, I’m just a Heavy Gear guy.
>>
>>22593079
BITD is pretty fun atleast
>>
>>22593539
It’s a good system, and it’s not like there’s a massive demand for Tribe 8 out there so it’s okay if it takes some time.
>>
alright made my first attempt at a gear list, NLC, 115 tv. how bad did I do
>>
>>22593842
Can one have two duelists? Is this an NLC perk or am I just misremembering? Brawl 3 on that Nemesis Jaguar looks terrifying. Overall it looks solid enough.
>>
>>22593882
Yeah, the NLC can take two. Zealots aplenty
>>
>>22592266
I'll agree with that. Mostly it was the DeviantArt sketch-quality stuff that was included in Perfect Storm that was way too bad to have been the art for the first "big" book in years. (Not that the art was the biggest problem with the NuCoal release by a long shot...)
>>
>>22593882
Yup, they both get brawl +1 too. and a MVB with reach 2
>>
>>22593842

Update, played my second heavy gear Blitz game with that list I posted above. I won against the south. suffering no losses and completing all obj's I didn't even get into melee range. Managed to take 40 TV out of 115 off the board by the end. including both commanders and over half the fire support squad.
>>
File: 1650680755349.jpg (245 KB, 1336x870)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>22594551
Way to go. The map you played on looks pretty cool as well
>>
>>22594561
Yeah the other player made it and he hadn't used it yet so I figure why not try it out. it's pretty fun, has plenty of cover for both sides to use and advance.
>>
>>22593976
Mariko wasn’t a bad artist, the issue was that they made her draw round pasty dev self-inserts instead of actual Heavy Gear characters
>>
File: nope.jpg (159 KB, 1128x716)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>22594614
She wasn't bad, but she didn't fit HG either. Just about anything she made was completely out of the style HG was known for
>>
>>22594652
that's not a bad style desu reminds me of like Shin megami tensei games. 100% actually think that looks good but it's not the 'learn to draw anime but with soul' style hg got.
>>
>>22593842
>>22594551

Updated list changed out hte tigers of Jaguar's agile is so good.
>>
File: image (1).png (466 KB, 446x819)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
>>22595057
It's absolutely worth it, at first I thought Agile is an edge case, but man you get 0 margins way more often than expected.
>>
>>22595357
Yeah agile has also saved my ass in cases. Fun to envision as well, watching a Jaguar sidejump from a weapon shot.
>>
>>22594652
left guy pilot looks straight out of a modern front mission game, which isn't too bad.
the right girl pilot looks uncanny though
>>
>>22595569
agree, I'd still comm them though they are competent but probably expensive.
>>
>>22596836
If they worked for DP9 they can’t be that expensive
>>
>>22594652
not huge on the florescent blue hair but besides that both of those designs are solid. I don't know much about HG tho.
>>
>>22572477
First round has ended, and the organizer has even made some little intros for each of the contestants:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7n9Lk9WUhM8sanqSIFOEcz_SQS7S5afw&si=P-vPl4Gi5etuSUxn
>>
>>22545684
>>22545524
Why hasn’t Bandai made a tabletop game?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (294 KB, 1200x1600)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>22603746
There's been board games, and a few hex games, and there's probably been something in a long lost hobby mag at some point. But yeah it's such a pity.
>>
File: s-l1600.png (2.15 MB, 1375x825)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB PNG
I wish I liked hex games more.
>>
File: OGRE-Tx17-09.jpg (530 KB, 1400x1050)
530 KB
530 KB JPG
>>22603765
I love 'em, but that might be my Ogre addiction speaking.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.