[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1.jpg (144 KB, 1280x1024)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Did Unicorn fall out of fashion?
Why?
>>
>>22599205
Define fall out of fashion.
>>
>>22599232
preteens look at it and go "ew big yikes"
>>
>>22599205
If the unicorn didn't transform or have any armaments other the beam rifle and shield it would be much better. Unicorn mode is very cool
>>
>>22599239
YES
WE KNOW
YOU ONLY SAY IT EVERY TIME SOMEONE BRINGS UP UNICORN
IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU SPECIAL THAT YOU LIKE HIPSTER GM MODE EITHER
>>
>>22599275
>you can't possibly have aesthetic tastes I don't agree with
grow up
>>
>>22599237
That's just how generations work. Tastes change.
>>
>>22599384
No duh, >>22599232 wanted to know and that's the answer.
>>
>>22599239
Yeah, they could've kept the alt mode as just a split horn v-fin and it wouldn't have been nearly as garish. Granted, I guess people like garish.
>>
File: IMG_9656.jpg (919 KB, 1290x803)
919 KB
919 KB JPG
>>22599205
I never liked the unicorn. Mobile suits, especially in the U.C., were supposed to be military weapons. Big clunky robots used in conjunction with ships and tanks. Unicorn Gundam looks off. Its design doesn’t fit in the universe it was made for.
>>
>>22599403
>Mobile suits, especially in the U.C., were supposed to be military weapons.
>posts a zeek suit
UC is when mobile suits look and function the least like anything you’d actually find out of a military. You’ve mistaken 0083 and 08th MS team designs for the norm. 00 is more in line with what you’re talking about.
>>
>>22599403
>Mobile suits, especially in the U.C., were supposed to be military weapons.
UC is where the shiny white machine fights the bright red machine.
>>
>>22599205
During the early to mid 2010's, it was the only Gundam show that was easily accessible to the new generation of anime fans (when anime exploded into the mainstream with FMAB, Fate/Zero, SAO, and Attack on Titan). But now you have the 0079 movie trilogy + CCA on Netflix, Gundam IBO, Gundam Wing, and 00 available on streaming services too, so new Gundam fans aren't all being funneled through Unicorn now.
>>
File: IMG_9665.png (455 KB, 640x480)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
>>22599474
You’re not getting what I mean. What I’m saying here is the design of many of the Zeon Mobile suits are reminiscent of hulking World War II tanks. The Federation suits are more like gray sleek warships and fighter jets. Of course there’s exceptions to this and the Unicorn isn’t even the most out of place suit in the U.C. I’m also not talking about realism. These are impractical giant robots that wouldn’t work in reality due to weight alone. It’s a simple aesthetic critique. The unicorn would have been fine if it was its own stand alone series but it just looks completely off to me. It’s even worse that it’s a mainline gundam.
>>
It didn't fall out fashion. G-Witch is nothing but Unicorn sensibilities. The next AU will probably be even more Unicorn looking shit with rainbows and time stops.
If anything we're finally entering the age where the total Unicorn saturation is truly beginning.
>>
>>22599205
>kits are still selling decently
>widely considered to have the best RG ever made
I know gunpla and gundam fans are two different groups, but Unicorn is still popular where it counts
>>
File: Spoiler Image (2.53 MB, 1920x1080)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB PNG
Narrative killed the hype.
>>
File: Unicorn Magnum.gif (1.17 MB, 498x278)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB GIF
>>22599205
The MS or the series? The suit is an evergreen design and will always keep selling plastic. As for the anime it's been 10 years since the OVA ended so of course it would fall to the wayside somewhat, it still almost single-handedly revived the UC timeline and is now being ripped of by the newest AU so its influence can still be felt today.
>>
File: Tielvar.jpg (1.12 MB, 1434x1600)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>22599992
>is now being ripped of
>now
you have no idea
>>
>>22599205
Unicorn is from 2010, anon. There have been nine Gundam shows since then and about a dozen other OVAs. It is no longer the new thing and it hasn't been the new thing for a long time now.
>>
>>22599403
The Unicorn looks like what it is. A fancy high spec art piece made by crazy aristocratic elites. I think the fact that it does juxtapose so many of the more utilitarian or tacticool new machines like the Jesta or ReZel's, or the faux regal but almost monstrous new Sleeves designs like Shinanju or Kshatrya, is the entire point of it looking like it does. It doesn't distinctly look like a Freddie or Zeon design. It IS a jarring 3rd party intruder.
>>
>>22600078
That'll change when Unicorn II eventually arrives.
>>
>>22600136
>Implying it won't be called Pegasus or Alicorn
>>
>>22600109
That's all a cool theme approach but I just wish the NT-D mode didn't look like garbage

NTA
>>
Was Unicorn ever fashionable? It's only thing of note was that it was the first animated piece of major UC content since the 90s.
>>
>>22599847
Good, everything UC since Unicorn has somehow been more pants on head retarded than the end of Zeta or CCA, and not the fun pants on head retarded that used to worked for the aforementioned.
>>
>>22599205
>can transform
>glows red
>also glows green if red is not your thing
>absolutely covered in weapons if you want to
>newtypiest newtype magic ever
Timeless masterpiece.
>>
Unicorn wasn't good. The plot was generic anime bullshit. The characters weren't likeable. There were a total of 4 reasonably nice mobile suit designs for toys (unicorn/banshee, sinanju, kshatriya, and jesta). Personally i really disliked how it was so backward looking, felt like low quality fanfic, simply retracing the plotpoints of UC but with gratuitous zeek wankbait and bad characters.

Personally I wouldn't cry at all if it was completely forgotten. It has none of the charm a Tomino production has.
>>
>>22600280
I don't think it looks as bad as people make it out to be. I mean, sure, there is a lot of green/red shining but, like, other than that it's just a pure white Gundam.
Maybe I just don't mind it as much, since I always liked Orbital Frames, who do have shiny lines running along their fuselage, though not as much as the Unicorn's psychoframe.
>>
>>22599205
it was popular so the chinese started emulating it
>>
>>22600546
As in the toy design or the show?
>>
>>22600546
>>22601466
both

Also one of the new Narrative Ver. Ka's selling point is it contains Unicorn's Gray psycho frame parts

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.