[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 00.png (282 KB, 1000x563)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
I'm curious. Bandai has tasked you with creating a Gundam entry for global appeal. Where do you go, and what do you do with it?

The goal is to make it easily accessible and to get people into the IP. Do you start a new AU? Existing continuations would be a challenge. What does /m/ say?
>>
What a fascinating question! To create a Gundam entry for global appeal, I'd take a fresh approach while honoring the spirit of the franchise. Here's a potential direction:

Title: Gundam: Horizon

Setting: A new, standalone alternate universe (AU) that blends elements from various Gundam timelines, with a unique narrative and setting.

Story: Gundam: Horizon takes place in a future where humanity has colonized the moon and Mars, and Earth is a neutral, protected zone. The story follows a diverse cast of characters from different factions vying for power and peace in a world where advanced technology and mobile suits have become the norm.

Accessibility:

1. Streamlined narrative: A more linear storyline with clear character arcs and motivations, making it easier for new fans to follow.
2. Relatable characters: A diverse cast with global representation, each with their own struggles and goals, allowing audiences to connect and identify with them.
3. Action-packed animation: High-quality animation blending traditional and digital techniques, showcasing dynamic mobile suit battles and emotional character moments.
4. Global influences: Incorporating cultural and historical references from around the world, making the series more relatable and engaging for international audiences.

To get people into the IP, I'd:

1. Develop a engaging social media campaign, sharing character profiles, story teasers, and behind-the-scenes content.
2. Collaborate with global influencers and content creators to promote the series and create fan art, cosplay, and fiction.
3. Release a series of animated shorts or webisodes exploring side stories and characters, building a larger universe and encouraging fan engagement.
4. Develop interactive experiences, such as video games, VR simulations, or AR filters, allowing fans to immerse themselves in the Gundam: Horizon world.
>>
As for /m/, the mecha enthusiast community, I'd engage with them through:

1. Regular updates and Q&A sessions on Reddit and other platforms.
2. Collaborations with mecha designers and industry experts to create authentic and innovative mobile suit designs.
3. Fan art and cosplay contests, encouraging creativity and community involvement.
4. Live events and panels at anime and mecha conventions, showcasing the series and gathering feedback from fans.

By taking a fresh approach while honoring the Gundam spirit, Gundam: Horizon would appeal to both new and existing fans, making the IP more accessible and engaging for a global audience.
>>
>>22601042
Setting where Gundams are essentially patriotic symbols of government propaganda used as a tool to stamp out terrorists in a post-war world to cover up dark truths from the blind populace. Also the five Gundam prototypes all have a corresponding AI with a codename referencing a gundam song title.
>>
>>22601046
>>22601048

If I wanted something from Gemini, I would've asked it, you fucking useless muppet.
>>
>>22601042
Just do SEED but actually competent and without all the aggravatingly horrible characters and writing. And don't give fucking everybody a Gundam this time.
>>
>>22601080
So just re-do 0079 then?
>>
>>22601083
They're already releasing origin and it hasn't really been a huge hit.
>>
>>22601042
>I'm curious. Bandai has tasked you with creating a Gundam entry for global appeal. Where do you go, and what do you do with it?
You just gotta have sunrise collaborate with a big name studio that normalfags know like MAPPA, or you get a mangaka to start a Gundam series in Shounen Jump and then adapt that into an anime.
>>
>>22601090
Like Sunrise Studio isn't famous.

Honestly, I just wish we got a Gundam show with the fucking level of animation that Yamato is getting. There's zero reason what IP should look as perfect as it does.

MAPPA would just take the money and run and we'd get a shit delay for a decade and a half.
>>
I'm continuously baffled by attempts to increase global appeal that do nothing but strip the Japanese autism out of a series and replace it with chinky Michael Bay shit. We like this series because of what it is, and removing its foundation as a Japanese story only serves to ruin it.
Like Hank Hill said, can't you tell you're not making Gundam better? You're just making anime worse.
>>
>>22601083
Origin had almost zero MS on MS combat. And anytime someone unfamiliar with Gundam hears anything related to UC they tune out because they're scared they have to watch a bajillion episodes of 70s and 80s animated shit.

SEED, on paper, did the "reboot" idea right, it was just handled like shit. Kids want to see giant colorful robots shooting rainbows of lasers and metric assloads of missiles at each other. If you take away the blatant Nippon Strong flavor out of it and don't mismanage the whole fucking thing, you have the potential for a low-depth but serviceable show that'll rake in ratings and sell a lot of plastic toys. Hell, AGE tried the same thing but it was also mismanaged from the get-go.
>>
>>22601042
>Where do you go, and what do you do with it?
I'd refuse the job.
>>
>>22601100
SEED was handled like shit but it was the single biggest entry in the entire fucking franchise. Really? Couldn't have been THAT bungled. I mean christ, look at the film. It's absolute ass and IDK how it made as much money as it did, but I guess stupid shit sells.
>>
>>22601114
it's bungled in a way that only pissed off the old-timers and autistic hardcore fans. New audience like the kids and tweens that the show was made for either don't give a shit or don't know the context about what it fucked up. They're not grading the show based on how deep it is, they're not comparing it to old Gundam stories they've never heard of, or how much a lore dump enhances the story and characters. They are solely just looking for entertainment.
>>
>>22601123
The only thing that seemed bungled to me was the blatant stock footage. If you take out knowing any of the supposed drama that happened in it, then the show is fine. Beam spam did its job.
>>
>>22601062
Gundam Deus Ex sounds like it could be fun actually. And also like something Bandai wouldn't touch.
>>
>>22601123
>>22601134
I think you're talking past each other. SEED was a big success in Japan, but it failed to make in-roads in the West.

It was popular in the fansubbing scene, but the actual tv run was a failure and never became an actual mainstream anime in the west.
>>
>>22601230
Because the dub was so god damn awful. Canadians only ate it up because it was there people while the US went wtf is this shit.
>>
>>22601114
It was big in Japan (in part because of the terrible production decisions made by Fukuda), but didn't do that well outside of SEA. The focus on songs and idols and Nippon Strong were popular with mainstream entertainment in Japan but those were also detractions for western audiences and was further compounded by the flaws that resulted from said production decisions (it had two full review episodes plus half each of two more for effectively three review episodes, and still ran into production problems despite that).

What I'm saying is, follow the same general concept of retelling 0079 for a modern audience, but don't fuck it up this time. You don't need to have mainstream bands and singers do songs, invite pop stars to do voice roles, and you don't need character and drama CDs, all of which drain the fuck out of your budget and leave you having to reuse stock footage time and time again. Just do the primary product right the first time, and everything follows. It doesn't need to be a high-brow magnum opus like LoGH, but it also doesn't need to be bottom-of-the-barrel slop like MCU and Disney Star Wars.
>>
>>22601042

Personally, we need to go back to 2 cours/seasons of 25 episodes before we devise new Gundam AUs. Plenty of space to resolve all story arcs that can be devised.
>>
>>22601241
If you have to rely on a fucking remake then you're already fucked. Christ, Hollywood and their remake shitfest really have cocked up peoples mentality.

Also, radio dramas do not drain the budget. They're from something else entirely.
>>
>>22601094
>Like Sunrise Studio isn't famous.
Read again, normalfags are the audience OP is talking about.
Sunrise is really only big among otaku who are into retro anime or the mecha niche, the average international anime viewer has no idea who they are. When it comes to anime production they only know the names Miyazaki, Kishimoto, Shinkai, Mappa, Bones, Ghibli, and maybe Anno.
Sunrise has nowhere near that clout in the western space which is a part of the global appeal OP is referring to.
>>
If your starting point is "aiming for global appeal" then the project is already fucked and it should be scrapped. Time and time again across all forms of media it has been demonstrated that going out of your way to make something "enjoyable for everyone" results in something few actually like.
>>
File: 1705630433232490.jpg (10 KB, 320x240)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>22601046
>horizon
gay
>A new, standalone alternate universe (AU) that blends elements from various Gundam timelines
another case of taking fun, interesting tidbits from somewhere else, while having no true identity of its own
> Streamlined narrative
gay
>Relatable characters: A diverse cast with global representation
macaco tier gay
>Action-packed animation: High-quality animation blending traditional and digital techniques
gaaay, I fucking hate modern anime production (Hathaways Fart) and fuck you for suggesting otherwise
>Global influences: Incorporating cultural and historical references from around the world
Blackrock tier gay, rope yourself
>enthusiast community
pluck your eyes out, for all of our sakes
>Regular updates and Q&A sessions on Reddit
kill your mother 1st and then you 2nd
>Fan art and cosplay contests, encouraging creativity and community involvement.
mega gay
>Live events and panels at anime and mecha conventions
super gay
>By taking a fresh approach while honoring the Gundam spirit
are you trying to be the JJ Abrams of gundam? theres already a spot for that

Gundam at this point is by and large, is star wars - nothing but a puppeted corpse, the best has come to past, and (you) were all just gnawing at the bones, what makes me smile at this point for gundam and gunpla at this point is seeing a new cutscene for UC Engage, and kit reprints, everybody else is a poser, a zoomer, a tryhard, or worse, a tranny.
Fuck you, fuck your mother, fuck your nonexistant father, fuck your dog, fuck the dilator that your rode in on, fuck you again btw you NIGGERFAGGUT
>>
>>22601042
>Gundam entry for global appeal.
No such thing. You would have to make it so bland that it loses what makes it Gundam.

You can either make a Gundam that appeals to the USA like Gundam Wing

Make Gundam that appeals to LGBT like Gundam Mercury

Or Make Gundam that appeals to Japan like UC Gundam, Seed, Or Unicorn
>>
Who the hell do you think you are!? You’re any kind of anime producer!? Anybody know who you are!? Maybe evrybody else wants to enjoy the peace and quiet. This is one of the most important franchise in all of anime and who are you? Who are you!?! You miserable presumptuous no talent.

You’re no artist. An artist respects the silence, it serves as the foundation of creativity. You obviously don’t have the talent. You don’t have enough respect for yourself or other people, or know what it means to respect yourself! In anime or any form of creativity!

And I've watched mecha anime for 38 years. Sucker!

You suck!

You’re a no talent!

If you really have talent, go produce an original series. And shut the fuck up, instead of ruining the end of the day for everybody in this board! You're a disgrace! You are everything that’s gone wrong in this franchise!

You’re a self consumed, no-talent, mediocre piece of shit! And I’ve earned my right to say it! Okay?

I had the first real grade RX78-2 boxart signed by Tomino-san himself, in 2010.

I 44th enthusiast to walk up on Gundam Side-F. Who the fuck are you!?

I was the 93th enthusiast to bought an item on Gundam Side-F from 2022. Who the fuck are you!?

You’re nothing! You're nothing! You are nothing! And you will never be anything! Never! How dare you! How dare you.

You miserable, mediocre nothing! Shame on you!

You crack a stupid little smile, you little pimp!

Go learn to paint. Go learn to top coat.

You’re a snapshitter!

You can’t even panel line your fucking kits! I don’t care about your little glass file, it doesn’t mean you know how to build!

You’re a snapshitter!

I’m trained in building plamo, I’m trained in model ship building, and you suck!
>>
>>22601765
I don't think Wing was even aiming for international appeal, it was just in the right place at the right time.
>>
>>22601042
Gundamned
Bad guys try to drop asteroid onto earth, successfully deflected. The Gundam who stopped it and about 5000 people on the station get flung out of the solar system, 500 years later Ryu is out on a routine comet capture mission for the living asteriod Apophis when he's attacked by a black gundam. His grappler is destroyed bit by bit until a restriction system is broken and he also turns into a gundam. He manages to fight it off and return. Turns out they've run into a Zeon colony that broke of and left to a solar system 8 lightyears away. They aren't the first to stumble into there, and the humans there are basically reavers. Turns out the black gundam is just a jerryrigged GM, and they need an actual one to jumpstart the warpgate back to the sol-ar system. They have to fight through a mishmash of different generations of mobile suits to get to the gate.
They succed, he goes through the portal first. The solar system is pristine, 12+ celestial bodies are inhabited, radio silence. In fact theres almost no electrical signals at all. He turns around to see Apophis being swarmed as it travels through the warpbridge. He fires a megabeamcannon down the path, at the last second pointing it upwards at the gate to destroy it. He's instantly superheated and atomized with a smile on his face. A superheated Gundam crash lands on Titan
>>
>>22601046
>>22601048
>>22601763
NTA but that was clearly AI-generated, of course it was gonna say those things. look at the corporate-speak and the timing between the posts
>>
>>22601062
>Setting where Gundams are essentially patriotic symbols of government propaganda used as a tool to stamp out terrorists in a post-war world to cover up dark truths from the blind populace.
that's basically the Titans and the MKII gundam
>>
>>22601062
>Gundams are essentially patriotic symbols of government propaganda
You just described G Gundam there, son.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.