[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So is the Gundam Mark II superior to the 0083 Gundams?
>>
What 0083 Gundams?

There's nothing in these very official Federation records about any Gundams.
>>
>>22606781
In some ways yes, in others not.
>>
>>22606781
One of them has a GM based on it and the other is a giant money sink.
>>
>>22606781
Suits in 0083 have some pretty bloated stats. If you ignore the raw numbers GP01 has more experimental techs but MK II is more agile and intuitive for human pilots to control because of its movable frame
>>
File: Titans-emblem.jpg (96 KB, 349x333)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>22606784
>There's nothing in these very official Federation records about any Gundams.
i know right, OP is crazy, i think he's a zeon support....GET HIM!!!!!
>>
>>22606889
I have a very difficult time believing the MK.II could outmaneuver the Full-Vernian.
>>
>>22606781
>>22607027
The FV uses old technology, lots of thruster nozzles, and raw thrust to achieve its maneuverability. It spits in the face of AMBAC and uses a ton of fuel. It's a gas guzzler. A technological dead end.

Mark 2 uses moveable frame technology and newer technology to achieve somewhat similar results on a lower budget. This new moveable frame technology can also be applied to other suits.

Sure the FV might be more agile...maybe...but the Mark 2 is the winner in every other category that matters. And it's newer tech is scalable and modular. FV is a technological dead end.
>>
>>22606784
>>22607013
They released these redacted information many years later. At least larp correctly.
>>
>>22606781
The Mark II uses steel for armor since it was never intended to see combat. No.
>>
>>22606781
Yes since it's part of Tomino canon
>>
>>22606781
Maybe with the GP02 & Rick Dias connection
>>
>>22606781
Yes. The GP line is equivalent to a lot of real world interwar aircraft designs. A lot of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, trying to hang new ideas off old designs, that kind of thing. The MKII is a clean sheet new design, building the lessons learned into a much better and more thoroughly modern overall package. Less brute force to achieve certain characteristics, more an overall evolved design.
Notice for instance, how the GP-01 is a deathtrap in space until it's purpose-fitted with additional hardware, which would likely in turn be an encumbrance under gravity. Both the original Gundam and the MKII are, out of the box, equally capable as land and space use mobile suits.
The GP line got the EFSF certain things right now, but were going to be quickly superceded by true second generation mobile suits even if they weren't ditched.
I'm not an expert on AoZ but I think they use a similar explanation there for sliding their designs into the timeline. More equipment to make an old suit do new tricks, but not as good as a suit ground-up designed for the tricks.
>>
>>22607317
You say that but the Salamis class ship outlasted every other design that came later, and survived for an additional 80 years of service. Newer is not always better.
>>
>>22607335
They've survived for the same reason that a lot of things have. It's less to do with being the peak of design and more to do with having reached a point of 'good enough'. For an air power comparison, the B-52. The Stratofortress isn't still in service because it's impossible to make a better bomber, but because there's no particular reason to. Both the B-1 and B-2 are significantly more capable and advanced aircraft, but that's not why the B-52 remains in service and may well outlive them. The XB-70 wasn't canned because it was 'worse' either. Simply put, the B-52 is good enough, already exists and cheaper to maintain.
The Salamis is in a similar position. With the advent of mobile suit combat, suddenly the warships themselves matter a hell of a lot less. As long as it's an airtight hull that can house the required equipment and a mobile suit complement, the specifics of the ship don't matter so much.
For a naval comparison, the current oldest serving aircraft carrier in the world is the USS Nimtiz. It's over 50. The Enterprise did similar. That doesn't mean we can't build better now, but that you don't retire something currently working perfectly fine, particularly when in its current doctrinal use it shouldn't really be in much direct danger.
Newer doesn't mean better, but neither does being in active service.
Also worth keeping in mind that in transitional periods for emerging technologies, lifespans are much shorter. Plenty of perfectly aircraft from WW2 into the late 60's had service lives under 10 years. Once they mature, like jets into 3rd and 4th gen fighters, they tend to last longer, even accounting for shifting geopolitics.
>>
>>22607351
>Plenty of perfectly aircraft
Perfectly good ones too.
>>
>>22607335

The Salamis shifted from the frontline gun cruiser of the EFSF to an economical light MS carrier. It could satisfy the requirements for the new role (be a box with engines to move MS around, have some armaments for point defence) while being cheaper than building brand new dedicated carrier hulls.
>>
>>22606781
The GP01Fb is like a MiG-25. Massive fucking engines that let it fly faster than damn near a lot of things out there, even later models. The Mark II is like the F-15 and F-18. They come after the MiG-25, does not have as much raw thrust and are technically slower, but are better balanced designs and that ended up having way more longevity because as it turns out, max speed doesn't win fights.
>>
File: 1700536239439.jpg (2.91 MB, 5376x3584)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>22607351
>because it's impossible to make a better bomber, but because there's no particular reason to.
Someone hasn't heard of the new B-21 Raider.
>>
>>22607399
That's not meant to be a replacement for the B-52.
>>
>>22607399
I have, and I hope it goes well. The B-1 and B-2 were both initially planned to replace the B-52 or otherwise significantly eat into its territory but didn't in the end because the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, is the thing. They're better planes by performance metrics, which is my point. That's just not the only factor that goes into service life.
>>
>>22607400
>That's not meant to be a replacement for the B-52.

The Love Shack is a little old place
where we can get together
>>
>>22607358
Reminds me of one of the Star Wars EU justifications for why the TIE Fighter ended up everywhere despite superior designs existing and having existed for a long time. Obviously they're affordable and simple, but they could also be fitted onto easy deployment racks, even on the exteriors of ships too small to house a conventional fighter bay. As a result you get a doctrinal shift away from dedicated carrier craft and even substantial vessels like the ISDs have pretty small hangers for their size.
Another case where it ends up being about a 'good enough' solution to get the most mileage out of what you already have.
>>
>>22607407
I thought the Empire designed the ISD first and then said, "Make a fighter that fits in this hangar and make it cheap".
>>
>>22607409
I think it's probably been both of these and a secret third thing depending on the source and the time. From a little looking around it seems the current canon is that the true TIE distinctly came after the initial ISDs, though with design work stretching back to the late Republic. Though apparently the new canon includes Tarkin even outlining that the sound had to be iconic so I'm not convinced it's the best written. The external TIE racks thing on tiny ships is absolutely at least in new canon though.
As for the other fluff I may just be getting other stuff confused and trying to look up anything about Star Wars lore these days makes my brain start melting out my ears.
Either way though, having something that could make an ISD fit an okay garrison of okay fighters was all that they needed to consign dedicated carriers and 'proper' fighters to the history books.
>>
File: 1702184350517.jpg (123 KB, 1280x720)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>22607317
Except the Dendrobium absolutely destroys everything in Zeta Gundam. EVERYTHING. The I-field and all those weapons crush all. Not even Psycho Gundam could stand toe to toe against Dendrobium.
>>
>>22606781
Only if you play the Zeta PlayStation game.
>>
>>22607471
True, but it's also big and dumb and shut up.
Think it'd have a harder time under gravity than a Psycho Gundam though.
>>
Stardust Memory at least had one cool thing, I wasn't expecting the formation of the Titans and Bask to be the finale.
>>
>>22606781
You can't really compare Anaheim and Titans MS.
>>
People are making up a lot of Bullshit, the simple answer is yes. The Gp01Fb is better then the Mk.II except in the area of cockpit design and an improved Beam Rifle.
>>
>>22607471
it's also gigantic, expensive and has absolutely zero mass production prospects
it's fine as a testbed for the idea of how modern mobile armors should function but it's not practical
>>
File: 1459870176885.png (977 KB, 980x1300)
977 KB
977 KB PNG
>>22606781
some nerd did the math on it once, and apparently all of the 0083 gundams have way better stats than the zeta era suits, but it doesnt fucking matter because why would it. here, have another pedantic chart
>>
>>22607528
An element I really like about the design is how it looks like they strapped a bunch of disparate systems together and did the bare minimum to make them work as one unit. Like the Gundam itself looks like an afterthought, and the arms having to retrieve weapons from elsewhere is jank as fuck. Hell isn't the MS itself even holding controls instead of being tied into it properly?
>>
>>22607525
I don't agree. MkII is extremely stable, has powerful armor, and performs at a high level in all environments. GP01 can't even operate in space until it gets a redesign. FB just has the gimmick boosters that make it go fast
>>
>>22607557
>MKII has powerful armor
Its armor is literally worse than the original Gundam's because it uses a titanium alloy instead of Gundarium.
>>
>>22607557
You're allowed to be completely wrong, it's the internet. The Mk.II has shit armor, much worse then the Gp01, this is legit not up for debate and is said in every description of the Mobile Suit ever.

The 01 was designed to modify it's equipment for different environments, and with the proper data installed it'd probably still be better in space then the Mk.II in it's base form. With the introduction of the equipment in the Rebellion manga the 01 adds amphibious equipment allowing it to once again one-up the Mk.II.

>GP01 can't even operate in space until it gets a redesign.
Completely false, the overhaul happened because of Kou taking the 01 into space when it wasn't ready. It was always going to have space equipment.
>>
>>22606781
Yes. It's like the F22 raptor vs F35. Newer is not better. The Mk-II makes general improvements in a lot of areas and is higher tech overall, but the final performance boils down to a few things where the GP series has a big advantage
>>
>>22607575

The MKII exists in a world where anything worth mentioning will be slinging beam weaponry. In such a context, if titanium alloy does the job of protecting you from vulcans/shrapnel from nearby explosions etc you can save on the cost of more advanced armour. If that alloy saves weight, it then also serves to make the suit better at evading incoming fire by being faster.
>>
>>22607575
>Gundarium
I always laugh that this is an actual term used. It might as well be called "Plot Armorium".
>>
File: gp01fb.png (2.42 MB, 2036x1582)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB PNG
>>22607557
>MkII is extremely stable, has powerful armor, and performs at a high level in all environments. GP01 can't even operate in space until it gets a redesign. FB just has the gimmick boosters that make it go fast
If Kou had been piloting the MK-II against Kelly in the Val Waro, Kou would have been fucked because the MK-II does not have a core booster to separate the way the GP01Fb did to defeat the Val Waro,
>>
>>22607609
It's named after the Gundam, not the other way around. It's originally called Luna Titanium because it's titanium forged in 0G at Luna II, which gave it special properties. It comes from real world belief/theoretical science that metals forged in 0G would allow the crystalline lattices to form perfectly
>>
>>22607039
Pretty much this. The 83 suits are probably better spec wise. But from a technological standpoint the MK.II started a paradigm shift in MS design.
>>
File: 1694619041445543.png (391 KB, 680x907)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
I want to get more into gundam, but I hate how most of the mechs look. I don't like how they look like generic powerrangers with some blocky armor
>>
File: 1688354590285.png (371 KB, 1185x510)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>22607471
I honestly never understand why I-fields were never implemented on a larger scale on ships. You would think top end Pegasus class ships would get them. Or super giant capital ships like the Dogos Giar or General Revil class. All that money spent and no I-field defenses.
>>
>>22607895
Try VOTOMS
>>
>>22608071
Maybe I-Field generators become absurdly inefficient the larger the volume you have to protect. Technically every MS with a beam melee weapon, shield or rotor is capable of generating an I-Field since that's how they form the supercharged particle blades, but the only MS with a personal I-Field is the Unicorn with its shield. Anything with a body-encompassing one is mobile armor sized. Perhaps mobile armors are just in the "sweet spot" where they have a powerful enough reactor to form such a large I-Field but small enough body for it to protect (most of) themselves.

Of course, the real reason is that they would make ship combat boring and unfun to watch, plus they get peppered with solid slug projectiles and missiles anyhow.
>>
>>22607557
Is this to say that the Mark II was designed to perform in both gravity and outer space without any adjustments?
>>
>>22608099
There are a handful of other suits with personal I-Fields, like Ex-S mounts a small one to protect the cockpit.
>>
>>22608120
Correct. You see in the show that Mark 2 fights in space and easily enters gravity environments with no problem.
>>
>>22607895
Nothing wrong with that, mecha is a pig tent. While I do adore some mobile suits I still wouldn't call the design philosophy my favourite thing ever.
Personally I'm more a Macross and Patlabor man on that front. Still a lot to like in Gundam though, particularly the original Tomino UC storyline.
>>
>>22608312
Sure it's a pig tent why the fuck not.
>>
>>22607529
Wasn’t there 3 RX 78-2’s delivered to side 7?
>>
>>22607895
That's great, you'll never get into it.
>>
>>22608344
No, just the one. Technically the RX-78-3 is virtually identical and it was shipped to Side 7, but for whatever reason, despite the unit being mostly fine, it lost all the data on the core fighter, and it couldn't be used until it was dropped off at Jaburo, after which it was upgraded with magnetic coating and improved electronics and supposedly present at Solomon and A Baoa Qu.

There were 2 RX-78-1s shipped to Side 7 though. Technically 3 since the RX-78-2 is a retrofitted RX-78-1 that had its specs updated to power the beam rifle reliably. Supposedly there were 8 total Gundam prototypes made, but we only know of the 3, so maybe the other RX-78-# Gundams are also retrofitted RX-78-1 units. The other 2 RX-78-1s were also modified to similar specs based on the RX-78-2 before being shipped to Side 7. So a total of 4 gundams were at Side 7. The 1s were probably destroyed or heavily damaged, and the 3's data was wiped, leaving just the RX-78-2 usable.
>>
>>22608344
Yes, unit 1 was destroyed during the attack and unit 3 was I believe in pieces or otherwise inoperable, taken onto White Base and offloaded at Luna II where it would be eventually upgraded to test magnetic coating.
>>
>>22608793
>>22609046
I swear to fucking god someone's going to need to decide on specific machine serial numbers sooner or later.
>>
>>22607895
That's great man. Good for you.
>>
>>22607529
There's no way only 20 ground Gundams were made. Those things turned the tide in Asia against Zeon ground forces which probably had a a few hundred Zakus and Doms. Plus support craft and heavily fortified bases.
>>
>>22609047
why? it's no different from any other MS's model number, by and large you don't give individual units separate numbers unless there is some kind of difference in specs and features to justify it
>>
>>22609062
Because even in this conversation people seem to struggle to determine if the -1, -2 and -3 refer to specific prototypes of specifications of prototype.
>>
>>22609066
*OR specifications of prototype
And to further my point, what was said above is directly contradicted by >>22607529 among other things.
>>
>>22609066
it's really not that complicated:

you have the first spec version, RX-78-1, with at least 3 units built in that config.
later they are updated to the RX-78-2 spec of which the second unit becomes active on White Base
the other surviving unit is upgraded into RX-78-3 spec and strictly speaking so is unit 2, though by all accounts it was never reclassified
the remaining 5 known RX-78-X units may have started life as RX-78-1s though all we know is they were used as test frames during GM development before being reused as actual functional units. Each of these had its own specifications which earner them their own model number that matched their numer in the RX-78 line
>>
>>22606781
>Private company VS Public organization
>Space X VS NASA

If GP project was allowed to continue it probably would have created some amazing the designs.
Anaheim is profit driven company and would have pushed the limits of design to sell their products. And they would have done it cheaper than the Titans because Anaheim wants profit.

The Titans were a bloated public organization with near unlimited funding and their own factories. Despite all that funding...they are a Typical government organization that made a barebones suit that barely does its job for its era. They don't have to worry about funds and so there is little incentive to worry or push the limits of design.

So The Mark II is barely on par with the Rick Dias. Hell the designer himself. of Mark II thought the Rick Dias was better in many ways after getting a closer look

I think it's amazing that the GP01-FB outperforms the Mark II despite being 4 years older and using older tech.
>>
>>22609101
this isn't really accurate. Mk-II is the first full movable frame MS, introducing the biggest milestone in ms design since compact beam weapons. It's absolutely an impressive design and a huge technological achievement, it's just that most of that value is in what will come after Mk-II rather than the suit itself.
Meanwhile, Rick Dias was comparable to it while being relatively cheaper, but the tech pioneered by it like block build frame did not lead to much anything.
>>
>>22609102
The Titans tried to steal the Rick Dias. So they must disagree with your assessment. They clearly wanted the tech in the Rick Dias.
>>
Fuck off with these non-Tomino Gundams
RX-78-2 then MK-II is the natural progression
Simple as
>>
>>22609102
>>22609123

The Rick Dias introduced new materials and concepts like the back binder thrusters. The MK II brought in the moveable frame concept. Both were advanced in their own ways, and the synthesis of the technologies opened the door for proper transforming suits such as the Zeta.
>>
>>22609123
wanting the tech because it's still an impressive design doesn't mean it's the new best thing since sliced break like Mk-II was
>>22609171
Rick Dias proved gundarium gamma and backpack binders were very effective in combat, but of these were tested in one way or another before, whether by Axis or Anaheim's GP project
>>
>>22609174
You are misunderstanding something. The ONLY good thing about Gundam Mark 2 was the moveable frame. It's combat performance was average. Marasai could bully and match the Mark 2.
>>
>>22609223
average when stacked up against the other highest performance machine around at that moment. Sure, it dropped off quickly afterwards but its focus on agility meant it was still pulling its own weight up till the very end of Haman's war
>>
>>22609250
People like to overlook that it kept pace with later machines just fine with Emma and later Elle behind the controls. It wasn't the apex machine for long but it never truly fell behind.
Hell one with a roided up arm and beam magnum is apparently still viable post-Unicorn.
>>
>>22609047
They're model numbers. I did get a few things wrong upon reviewing some stuff. All three RX-78-1s were updated to the RX-78-2 specs and one of them was the G-3, meaning there were indeed 3 Gundams shipped to Side 7, not 4. The RX-78-2 we all know and love is the RX-78-1 unit 2 that was updated. The black RX-78-1 unit 1 still looks a little different after the update for some reason, like the arms. The RX-78-3 designation actually wasn't applied until after the G-3 got upgraded with the magnetic coating and improved avionics (comes from the tamashii nations special article for the G3 Robot Damashii figure). G-3 is just a callsign assigned to the unit 3 from before the upgrade that happens to overlap with the specification.

So yeah, they're different specifications. There were technically 3 RX-78-2s at side 7, they just looked a little different. Based on the tamashii special article it seems like the RX-78-2 G-3 (unit 3) was actually the first RX-78-1 to be updated to the RX-78-2 spec and was shipped to Side 7 late. Units 1 and 2 were upgraded based on the unit 3's new specs (RX-78-2), seemingly at Side 7.
>>
>>22609252
>People like to overlook that it kept pace with later machines just fine with Emma and later Elle behind the controls.
It didn't keep pace. It was super-passed very quickly and they needed the Super Gundam upgrade just to make it a threat again.
>>
>>22606781
>So is the Gundam Mark II superior to the 0083 Gundams?
Well the Mark II doesn't have the core block system, or even any sort of escape pod. So if anything happens, the pilots are doomed. Like what happened to Emma. It's been years since I watched Zeta because vaguely recall her getting hit by shrapnel when trying to escape her damaged gundam
>>
>>22609946
Zeta-era is when you start seeing the use of durable, compact cockpit pods as escape capsules. It's not usually shown as being able to 'eject' as such but that's the idea. It's what Char ends up sealed inside at the end of CCA.
As for Emma, the MKII is damaged but she's not bailing. She's having a final conversation with Reccoa as her MS explodes, and for some reason grabs hold of the idiot ball and gets out of her cockpit to do it. It's the shockwave that really kills her, she's close enough that there's enough medium for it to fuck her up inside her suit.
The whole 'core fighter as an escape system' thing only really works if your damage is somehow so catastrophic that it requires ejection but has also left not only your core fighter completely intact and functional, which I might add is a massive chunk in the exact centre of mass where everyone is aiming, but also the additional systems required to detach the core fighter from the rest of the mobile suit. So bad that you're bailing, but also no major damage to the main target where all the key components are.
It's part of the reason that escape systems in real life on combat aircraft don't really do pods anymore. You either try and throw the pilot alone clear of the stricken craft with minimal requirements with an ejector seat or you try and make the pilot's position inside the aircraft as survivable as possible, like with helo 'crash seats'.
Mobile suits settle on the latter, since the former also creates problems in both space and land use cases.
>>
>>22608071
I-Fields do jack shit against solid projectiles like a mobile suit opting to get close and personal before sinking the ship. Ships that size an I-field is only protecting them from long range beam fire which is already invalidated by the spreading of Minovsky Particles. Early I-field use is on crafts with both a big enough reactor to support using them AND enough mobility to hopefully avoid someone getting close enough to be inside the barrier. Its why the craft you see I-fields installed on gets smaller as the UC timeline goes on as the amount of mobility needed for an I-field to not be invalidated gets higher. Like the GP03's lack of mobility was such a problem even in 0083 that it got beat up by beam weapons in Stardust Memory, many Zeta era suits would be able to beat it by simply getting too close to it for it to fight back and dismantling it like a battleship, due to its massive blind spots.
>>
>>22610501
>Like the GP03's lack of mobility was such a problem even in 0083 that it got beat up by beam weapons in Stardust Memory
GP03 was very fast. Faster than MS. It was like a massive missile

>Zeta era suits would be able to beat it by simply getting too close to it for it to fight back and dismantling it like a battleship,
I doubt it. If GP03 is piloted by a competent pilot, then no suit from Zeta is getting close. Not without Newtype hacks.
>>
>>22610505
Sorry but the GP03's still vulnerable to getting closed in on had Kou failed to impale Cima in their fight the GP03 was dead to rights, now image taking that thing out onto a battlefield field with units with mobility on par with the Gerbera Tetra or better than the Gerbera Tetra. Sure if you put the GP03 against a single Zeta suit it will probably win but the problem is that it isn't worth a single Zeta suit you'd probably be able to construct and outfit an entire carrier for less than it cost to make the GP03 at which point any advantage it had is rendered null by the fact its severely outnumbered and has relatively poor mobility despite its raw straight line speed advantage.
>>
>>22610900
I question what the point of the GP03 is besides being the control unit of the massive mobile armor. It doesn't feel like it does anything the GP01-Full Vernian couldn't already do.
>>
>>22610928
It can grab things off very high shelves.
>>
>>22610928
So that it can continue fighting after the MA part is destroyed obviously
>>
>>22610900
Zeta Gundam is much, much, much slower than Gebera Tetra.
>>
So I think the general thing here is the GP series was OYW tech taken to its then pinnacle but the Mk-II and azeta Era suits where the start of a new tree so to speak
>>
>>22613004
There's still some minor overlap like the GP series inventing thruster binders that become a big part of Zeta era MS. But yeah, for the most part the only thing the GP series has to brag about is raw thrust. In other areas like weapons, they are very much NOT more advanced than what Zeta era brings to the table.
>>
>>22606781
People don't seem to understand something

Gp01-FB is like a 1983 Ferrari Twin Turbo Charged GTS.

Gundam Mark 2 is like a 1987 Toyota Pickup Truck with some new suspension system for the tires.

Gp01-FB was the absolute best Anaheim Electronics could do for its era. The absolute cutting edge and loaded with luxury. Even the seats had extra nice cushioning with leather imported from Italy.

Gundam Mark 2 was absolutely NOT the best the Titans could make. It was simply a "no frills" suit they made to test some new technology. It was serviceable, and did its job well for testing purposes. But Nothing more. The seats were a little stiff and cushioning was basic cheap stuff the military always uses.
7 episodes later and the Titans already have suits that can match it in performance (Marasai).
>>
>>22613004
>>22613021

Exactly.

The GP suits could contest the Mk-II, but the GP suits also had no growth potential in their design.

A more apt comparison would be the last piston engine fighters versus early jet fighters. They weren't *that* much better, but those piston fighters were the absolute best of the best, refined by war, and the jets were just the beginning of what they were capable of.
>>
>>22613028
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think anon just means that one suit is a top end luxury model and the other was a mid-range model. A Ferrari from the 80s can still outperform a modern budget Toyota Corolla in speed and performance
>>
>>22613037
Yeah, I got the comparison, though the Mk-II was less of a budget platform and more of an unspecialized next-gen machine.
>>
>>22613021
>7 episodes later and the Titans already have suits that can match it in performance (Marasai).
That's not really the case in the show. It's just an improved Hi-Zack, that's literally what the Sunrise show profile says. But over the years databooks kept adding stuff to its lore until it got to look better than it actually is in the show. Like having movable frame is a fairly modern addition. I think it originates from Zeta Gundam Historica which started in 2005
>>
>>22606781
The Gpo1 was the superior suit, but it was the equivalent of an expensive hand-crafted custom precision made sports car.

The Mark 2 was a much newer suit. Made on an assembly line. Less powerful than Gp01, but it was more economical. We saw in the anime the Titans made 3 units, but we find out in manga that more than 3 were made. More like a dozen. And Anaheim even makes some more too.
>>
>>22607529
>all of these gundams and every OYW game forces me to use the garbage GM for the first half of them
>>
>>22613204
>That's not really the case in the show
The Marasai fights Mark 2 evenly during the Battle of Jaburo
>>
>>22614561
>but we find out in manga that more than 3 were made.
What?
>More like a dozen.
What???
>And Anaheim even makes some more too.
The fuck?????
Anaheim made one that we know. We have 4 units made at Gryps. That's it. If you stretch the definition Proto Psycho Gundam could count too as it's based off Mk-II but it's unclear whether it literally refuses an entire unnumbered unit.
>>
>>22614778
Because 30 or whatever machines on the scale of the entire Earthsphere is literally a rounding error compared to GMs that were built in (depending on source) hundreds or thousands.
>>
>>22614783
>what is pilot skill
Is Barzam nearly on par with Zeta because that one random nook held his own against Kamille for a bit minute?
>>
>>22614789
>invoking pilot skill argument
That would mean Jerid is a better pilot than Kamille.
>>
>>22614792
A trained soldier can hold his against a conscripted teenager. Woah.
>>
>>22614794
Kamille is a super newtype. So no.
>>
>>22614794
Jerid wasn't that great a pilot.

Yeah he had training but he was a fucking moron who needed backup to survive and literally ruined everything for the Titans multiple times.
>>
>>22614783
No it doesn't. It loses an arm right away and then when they beam clash and both suits get knocked back the Marasai is disabled for good from the knockback and even blows up as Jerid runs away, while the Mk-II, despite having inferior armor according to databooks, was able to get up and keep moving after crashing through a giant stalagmite and crashing down into a chasm. There's literally no better example of the Mk-II's superiority and craftsmanship than that fight
>>
>>22614794
Jerid is a sub par pilot who was selected as a Titan because of his arrogant attitude and willingness to embrace Titan ideology.

Jerid is worse than Kamille at piloting MS.
>>
>>22615432
>No it doesn't. It loses an arm right away and then when they beam clash
I don't like liars like you. The Marasai lost an arm because Jerid was facing an entire squad of enemy mobile suits who were shooting at him while he was boosting in the air. They shot off an arm.

>keep moving after crashing through a giant stalagmite and crashing down into a chasm.
The fall actually gave Mark 2 more time and space to boost recover, and slow its fall to land safely. Marasai didn't have that and slammed immediately into the hard ground.
>>
>>22615456
>The Marasai lost an arm because Jerid was facing an entire squad of enemy mobile suits who were shooting at him while he was boosting in the air
The nemos next to Kamille ran off before Kamille shoots the Marasai's arm off. Jerid even comments
>he's empty
right after his arm gets shot off while looking at Kamille

>The fall actually gave Mark 2 more time and space to boost recover
No, it didn't. It crashes hard through the stagalmite and into the chasm below. In fact it crashes into the rocks and then slams onto the ground just like the marasai, then it falls into an abyss.
>>
>>22615456
>>
>>22607039
>>22607396
>>22607578
>>22607891
>>22613004
>>22613010
>>22613021
>>22613028

These guys get it.

It's like the fact that we've had modified cars that could go 200mph easily since the 1970's (but not the first car ever to do it). Do all sports cards go over 200mph today? No. Because it's not needed.

The GP01FB is that old modified car that got a 1000hp, 200+mph upgrade on a jacked up old classic engine.

Things like the Rick Dias are the cars that added new technology, but still basically used the old stuff, just improving things (things like turbos, computer controlled functions etc...).

While the MkII is like the original Tesla Model S. New technology, Lighter, better acceleration, but not nearly as fast... But created a new wave of technology that has now pushed other companies to invest a bit more into electric motors, now that someone showed off the potential... And when companies start mixing the old tech and new tech, we get some amazing stuff.
>>
>>22615478
>The nemos next to Kamille ran off before Kamille shoots the Marasai's arm off. Jerid even comments
STOP LYING. Marasai's arm get shot off in the cross fire while boosting in the air.
>>
I think the Marasai and Mk2 are close enough in performance that you could argue either way. Jerid at that point was a worse pilot than Kamille but not by much, and there were a lot of circumstances surrounding the battle leading up to that fight that could have influenced the outcome too. I think the Marasai is very underrated regardless, at least on par with the Rick Dias. Though I don't think any of the Zeta grunts compare to the Unit 1 or 2, it's only once you get to the slightly more advanced units that I feel like Zeta overtakes 0083
>>
>>22616045
I am not any of those two anons arguing.

This is fair take.

I also agree the Marasai and Mark II are very close in performance that it could go either way.

Depends entirely on the pilots and the type of Battle.
>>
It's hard to compare the two series because none of the UC OVAs emulate Tomino's approach to fight choreography. By the time we're in Zeta, everything is riding sub flight units, constantly boost dashing or jumping, or stuff like the Hyaku Shiki and Mk-II forming a makeshift two stage rocket to stop the Asshimar from catching a space shuttle. There's a couple of big jumps in 0083 but overall the mobile suits feel less mobile than in some parts of First Gundam.
>>
>>22615402
>>22615432
>>22615448
>>22616045
Jerid is an emotional pilot. Which results in situations like a Galbaldy Beta trashing the MK II in a 1v1. The 2 Marasai vs 1 MK II fumble and 1v1 loss in a suit more powerful than the Beta.
>>
>>22616771
Jerid was always a weird case because of this in how sometimes he ess a dangerous threat we need to fear and others he was an absolute goober I think he was at his best I the Gablthy and the Byarlant respectivly

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.