[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Clipboard_04-23-2024_01.jpg (857 KB, 2992x1498)
857 KB
857 KB JPG
Is it just me, or does this feel like Taylor Swift's "Be Here Now" moment?
>>
I don't understand the reference and I won't respond to it.
>>
>>121516450
I'll simplify it for you
Be Here Now was a shit album
>>
>>121516458
That broke sales records and critics fell over themselves praise, until suddenly one day everybody realised it was shit.
>>
>>121516441
What are the strongest songs on the Swift album? Don't feel like mucking through 31 songs
>>
>>121516450
I've never even heard that Oasis album but I assumed OP meant a super popular artist has a "jump the shark" moment that begins their decline/fade into obscurity. (well not true obscurity, but far less popular than they once were)
>>
>>121516477
coming off the back of What's The Story would do that, wouldn't it? it was just a massive hype train and once it died people realised just how mid Oasis actually was
>>
>>121516508
Yes, but in addition:

>both are bloated and overindulgent
>both broke sales records on release (Be Here Now still has the 2nd highest first week sales in UK ever)
>both met with initial critical praise from hack journalists who wanted in on the hype train before everyone realized that it's actually hot ass
>>
>>121516441
It's not, because unlike in 1997 the music press today are genuinely too scared to critique power artists like Swift because of the backlash they'd face from their fans. Be Here Now was seen as a flop because the music was bad. Nobody cares about the music on Swift's album. They care about the celebrity storyline it's a part of.
>>
>>121516450
Be Here Now was a bloated mess of an album, made by a band so high on their own arrogance (and coke) that they thought everything they were shitting out in the studio was pure gold. There were flashes of decent music but the majority of songs were overblown mediocrity, with shit tracks that droned on seemingly forever. It was reviewed favourably by some outlets that were still drinking the kool aid, whilst others were brave enough to call it out for the turd it was. It sold incredibly well based on they hype but now everyone can see it for what it is.

https://youtu.be/Yw646zIEBD4

I haven't heard the new TS album so I'm not sure how anything I've just wrote compares to it.
>>
Be Here Now was literally their most biblical album
>>
>>121520255
This.
>swaps out Magic Pie for Stay Young
Literally better than Morning Glory.
>>
>>121520255
YOU SEE ME, I'VE GOT MY MAGIC PIE
>>
>>121520301
D YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN
>>
>>121520255
i listen to it every sunday when i'm doing cocaine
>>
>>121519636
>because unlike in 1997 the music press today are genuinely too scared to critique power artists like Swift because of the backlash they'd face from their fans.
I could have sworn Pitchfork gave Be Here Now a positive score when it first released, and changed it to something lower shortly after public opinion turned against it.
>>
>>121516450
I understood this reference
>>121519636
This. When you have professional critics leaving their name off of their work, it’s because Tayler controls her fan/cult so aggressively that it’s like speaking out against the nazis in 1939 Germany
>>121520439
lol
>>121520884
Was pitchfork even around or at least relevant in 1997? I don’t think so
>>
>>121516450
Overhyped bloated pieces of crap being released by 2 mega superstar artists at the height of their popularity
>>
>>121520884
I don't think they did. The American music press was always wary of Oasis. It was the British and (to a slightly lesser extent) the European reviewers who fawned over Be Here Now. In any case, 7.9 is a pretty good score, adjusted or not. I'm surprised P4K would offer the Wonderwall band such lavish praise during the website's most intense hipster phase.
>>
>>121516441
>>121520211
Swifts album isn't overbloated or over-produced, nor was she under pressure to get it finished.
>>
A think a big bowl of cocaine would've done this album some good
>>
be here now came out 2 years after morning glory and oasis faded into relative obscurity as occasional vh1 where are they now tags. taylor swift has been releasing this shit for 20 years.
>>
>>121520978
>>121521137
no they did

Other day, I was dragging my sand-filled shoes through the desert wasteland known as commercial alternative rock, the sun beating on me like a sadist with a whip, my brow the only moist thing in sight. I spotted in the distance some really pompous British guys with guitars who wouldn't give me the time of day, let alone water from their canteens. Some fucking oasis.

These were the rudest folks I'd met in my entire life, and somehow when they turned up the amplifiers, I couldn't resist their instantly memorable rock music. Realising I'd heard this stuff somewhere before (whether it be from their last two albums or old Beatles records), I started to feel guilty. Then I decided. Fuck it.

Oasis' third record, Be Here Now is, predictably, a lot like Definitely Maybe and even more like What's The Story, Morning Glory, but with a lot more pomp. What were formally unforgettable three- to- four minute pop slices are now six- to- ten minute long epics. It's like "Champagne Supernova" altered the course of their journey toward Edgar Winters' part of the universe.

Regardless of whether or not it's "cool" to like them (they're certainly not as safe- to- like as some of my other pleasures, Yo La Tengo or Nick Drake), "D'You Know What I Mean," Be Here Now's first single, is the catchiest song of the year. So take your holier- than- thou, elitist musical tastes and sod off -- Oasis are cool in my book.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000302031242/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/o/oasis/be-here-now.shtml
>>
>>121521412
No need to lie, she isn’t going to fuck you or give you any money
>>
>>121521448
>schizo babble
kill yourself retard
>>
>>121521597
one of these days acting like this is going to stop being cool and you're gonna have to actually confront reality and have an honest opinion about something instead of being an evasive ironic faggot as a defense mechanism just saying
>>
>>121521664
what am i evading that i need to confront, schizo? are you talking to yourself through me? am i your iconic mirror? i reject this role and dispel you from this thread. begone, misbegotten spirit!
>>
>>121521698
>m’lady
holy fragile bitchflake I can hear your fedora through your schizocoping
>>
>>121516441
No, she didn't just release her best album.
>>
>>121516441
No. Not only Taylor is too big to fail but TTPD is her freaking 11th album. It's already a success. And even if it was a failure, Taylor has plenty of means and time to recover.
>>
>>121521955
the stages of grief illustrated:
>>121521448
denial
>>121521664
delusion
>>121521955
anger

hmm, umm, lemme guess...next is guilt, because you know you're being a schizo retard?
>>
>>121516458
>>121516477
Be Here Now isn't shit, it's a solid 7/10.
Would be a 9/10 if Noel wasn't permanently coked up when making it.
>>
>>121522332
>t. schizo retard
>>
maybe the real schizo retards were the friends we made along the way
>>
>>121522425
you, to the mirror
>>
It's a bad album but Taylor Swift fans don't care about musical quality. It has enough references to her personal life and "the lore" to keep them happy.

Oasis were in a different position when BHN came out. They were still sort of an up and coming band in a way, or it looked like they hadn't hit their peak yet, as DM and Morning Glory were only a couple years before. Taylor's been around for 15+ years now and is well established. BHN ended the Oasis hype in America when it was really getting started. Taylor has already reached her peak and doesn't have much farther to go.
>>
>>121522648
Also Taylor has never put out a good album in her life whilst Oasis did.
>>
>>121521231
>Swifts album isn't overbloated
It has 31 songs on it to pad her streaming numbers. It's the definition of bloated.
>>
>>121522648
>BHN ended the Oasis hype in America when it was really getting started.
Oasis' hype was never going to last here no matter what BHN sounded like. They were just too different from the type of rock music that sold in America at the time. There's a reason why Blur's only hit here was Song 2, and why grebo and Madchester never caught on even though MTV was pushing those genres as the next big thing before grunge took off. Looking back, it's actually incredible that Oasis had any hits in America at all.
If Oasis had started a decade later, they would have been just as huge here as they were everywhere else.
>>
>>121516441
I will defend BHN to the very end
I don't know about the Taylor Comparison because I got like 50 albums to listen to before I can get to hers
>>
>>121522794
Oasis U.S. hits weren't really "rock" in the edgy '90s alt sense, though. Morning Glory, which was issued as the WTSMG lead single in America, stiffed completely. Wonderwall is Wonderwall, and while it's incredible that Champagne Supernova did as well as it did it's a lot nearer to something like Semisonic's Closing Time than I want to admit. Oasis was a crossover phenomenon in their native country, the last of their kind, but in America they were strictly a middle-class, Spin magazine thing.

American MTV had the BHN videos on heavy rotation, even as late as All Around the World (probably to coincide with the U.S. tour), but none of the songs really caught on with the general public. They must have looked and sounded pretty weak compared to whatever spaz-out crap American teens were listening to at the time (The Offspring?).
>>
>>121523115
right, thats a good point. oasis biggest songs in the US were their more ballady type tracks like wonderwall, dont go away, dont look back in anger. it was never their harder rockers like supersonic and rock n roll star and stuff
>>
>>121523183
Stop Crying Your Heart Out did pretty well too.
>>
>>121522723
It's a double album and the songs are pretty minimal in terms of production. BHN had 7 minute songs and 50 layers of garbage per song.
>>
>>121520255
Fuckin MAD fer these numbers lad ya know LG x

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.