[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (654 KB, 894x932)
654 KB
654 KB PNG
What's the best track on Bee Thousand? I'm thinking it's Smothered in Hugs
Also general Guided By Voices thread
>>
>>121531408
goldheart mountaintop queen directory because it makes me cry
>>
>>121531433
IT VERY G00D
>>
>>121531408
so many
even the filler is killer
ill pick her philosophy today
>>
for me, its Ester's Day
>>
>>121532131
EDIT: actually for me, its Awful Bliss
>>
>MINCER RAY DON'T WORRRY, IF THE ROAD A LITTLE WORN
>AND A LIGHT SHINEESSS DOWN
kino. perfect hazy summer album too.
>>
File: FyRcW7OaUAAIFBT (3).jpg (23 KB, 680x304)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>IF I WAITED FOR YOU
>TO SIGNIFY THE MOVES THAT I SHOULD MAKE
>I'LL BE ON THE TAKE
>GOLD STAR FOR ROBOT BOY
>WELL THEN THAT'S OK
>>
aaaaaaaa
>>
>>121531408
The outtakes from this album (king shit & the golden boys) are also amazing, and so are the eps that came in the making of this album (static airplane jive, fast japanese spin cycle)

I think the best song is Hardcore UFO's
>>
>>121531408
Tractor Rape Chain
>>
>>121533648
for a better overall view of the majority of the eps from that are I recommend to check out the Scalping the Guru compilation that lasts just like 30min and it works like an album
>>
>>121531408
smothered in hugs for me
but there are so many good songs on this album i can understand a whole number of fair choices.

better question is what doesnt qualify. not a big fan of kicker of elves
>>
TOOOWERRR TO THE SKY
AN ACAAADEMY OF LIES
>>
>>121531408
Comfy record
>>121531433
beat me to it
>>
>>121533687
also check out the suitcase releases
>>
>>121531408
definitely smothered in hugs, you picked correctly op
>>
>>121531408
There is no best track on Bee Thousand, the whole point of that album is that every track ends too early, but before you can feel the disappointment another absolute banger starts, and this keeps happening without any let up for 36 minutes. Any song by itself is just a 95 second banger, the magic comes from being repeatedly saved from blue balls by lining them up one after another.

Unfortunately, their discography is not like this.
>>
you're not an airplane is a amazingly bittersweet closer
>>
>>121535136
I agree but that's for advanced gbv level
>>
>>121537341
I used to hate it, I preferred some banger to end the album but now I realized it's perfect, one of my favorite closers of all music
>>
>>121536087
Their albums since 91 to 95 (and the eps) are like this
Then Pollard started to make "full songs" on more "coherent" or regular albums, and they did it pretty well, but I can agree that then lost some magic from the fragmented and collage-like aesthetic
>>
>>121537689
since 1990*
>>
>>121537689
Pollard can make all the filler tracks he wants, he can release 17 LPs a year for the rest of his life, he's a rock and roll legend and the rules do not apply to him. But Bee Thousand is like drinking sugar from a firehose, whereas most of GBVs infinite discography requires some listener curation.
>>
>>121537891
Hmmm I think bee thousand is a kind of album that also needs to click, for what I've read people generally ends up loving it after several listens

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.