[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's your take on it? Is he really the best of all time? Or amongst the best? Surely there are many players who are technically better, it's been 50 years
>>
>>121539578
Hmm, I wonder if this thread was made by a racist.
>>
>>121539578
He's underrated
>>
>>121539584
YOU WILL WORSHIP BLACK PEOPLE
YOU WILL EAT THE BUGS
YOU WILL OWN NOTHING AND BE HAPPY
>>
ITT: RACISTS
>>
>>121539624
The /pol/ poster comes out.
>>
Hello rredditors
>>
>>121539578
It's true, mealy mouthed libs may ask why Jimi Hendrix was chosen to be the best black guitarist instead of any other unimpressive black guitarist and why only the best guitarist crown was given to a black person and not best drummer, bassist, tambourine player, etc, etc? Well mealy mouthed libs, the answer is because Jimi Hendrix was the only black person on Earth at the time. And that's ... Checkmate! smugbenshapiro.jpeg
>>
>>121539578
>I always wondered if he was overrated because of his skin color
You stupid fuck.
>>
if Jimi Hendrix were white, would he have played guitar better, worse, or no difference?
>>
>>121539775
He'd be the same
>>
>>121539578
he had the combination of good enough playing and good enough stage presence
thats all there is to it
>>
Mitch Mitchell made him look good
>>
>>121539578
He was great. I think making lists of the best ever is stupid but if you make one he should probably be on it. Is the black guitar jesus meme a little overblown? Yeah probably. Do we need to overcorrect by pretending he wasn't amazing? No, don't be a retard.
>>
>>121539578
Nobody used a guitar like that before he did. Every rock guitarist up until him sounds so stiff and tame by comparison. Even the guys now who can do caucophenous stuff still can't get much further than just copying him.
>>
>>121539578
He was never the best technically. But he was the most innovative and most influential. That's why he's considered the best.

>>121539584
You're a faggot.
>>
>>121539578
>>121539624
Fuck you, he was cool and actually talented. Go say that about Beyonce and everyone who pretends she's revolutionizing country simply because she's black.
>>
>>121539637
>>121539642
>>121539584
Racist here, love hendrix
>>
he made clapton throw a melty because he was that good and not because of his skin color
and it's fucking clapton
so yeah, he was THAT good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usel2OAtQ_s
>>
>>121539775
Unironically worse
>wigger british blues and no r&b chops
Basically eric clapton, and even assuming he still had the same creative mind he at best would be like robert fripp but without enough time cause to grow cause he was poor as fuck growing up

Assuming he still had the rock&roll swagger, he'd be like jimmy page without the stealing shit lmao
>>
>>121542459
Oh, and btw, without these R&B chops you can say goodbye to Little Wing, Bold as Love, Hey Joe etc
These pieces without the piano-like playing are basically just acoustic etudes played through a electric guitar
>>
>>121539578
Not sure there was any guitarist better than this guy from 60s until 90s
https://youtu.be/PMglEXFCClg?si=jV7W3L2tSdxwgJD2
>>
>>121542459
the be fair, im sure theres some british blues with the rnb chops out there.

good observation pretty spot on
>>
>>121539578
my take is that he is overrated in basically everything he did. Does that mean he isn't amongst the greats? Of course not, he is up there with the greats and his influence is massive, but just way overstated and talked about like no ever played the guitar before. His music is great but I don't think any album of his would be in my top 100 or maybe 250.
>>
>>121543906
you cant stick your dick in the cake and not eat it bro
>>
>>121539578
Look how people played before and after him. He was a nigga, you are a nigger.
>>
>>121539578
>Is he really the best of all time?
Of course not. He was very influential though.
>>121541690
>and most influential
Nah. Eddie Van Halen had much more influence. Every single 80s guitar player looked at him.
>>
>>121539578
black radio stations wouldn't play him, so probably not.
he was over-rated 20 years ago, he's a little under-rated right now, maybe.

>>121541228
you need to listen more widely

>>121541923
>Fuck you, he was cool
I thought so when I was young - then I saw clips of him on American talk shows, and his stupid and intentionally done for attention light-my-guitar on fire schtick, and I thought - OK< he was great but he was a careerist and a schemer. he was not some kind of pure artist in it only for the pure expression.

he wanted the fame and the money and made moves to get it.
Keith Moon was another legend who was a complete attention-seeking careerist.
>>
>>121542459
>he'd be like jimmy page without the stealing shit lmao
imagine thinking hendrix didn't "steal

' like page lol
imagine thinking skin colour means you do or don't have r 'n' b chops

wtf do you even play?
>>
>>121539578
he was original and good, you retard
>>
>>121544423
>you need to listen more widely
Maybe. The super technical guys usually dispense with the laxity that lends itself to the instrument imo. I've heard a couple guys who might be better, but it has so much to do with taste if you aren't just listing off randos who can shred flight of the bumblebees .10 seconds faster than the last guy. Who do you recommend?
>>
>>121539578
He sounds like a monkey rolling a turd around on the frets then picking it up with his tongue to continue rolling around on the frets.
>>
He's overrated because every guitarist of his time was fucking terrible. All the """""greats""""" of that time were 3/10s in a sea of 0/10s
>>
>>121539578
>Surely there are many players who are technically better
Yes, hendrix himself agreed, but nobody cares. Nobody actually likes the sound of sweep picking and zoomer tapping. Jimi had SOVL and creativity. Even white supremacists love him.
>>
>>121545844
A simple, memorable tune will always outlive a complex one
>>
>>121545844
It comes down to creativity and having the smallest possible barrier between your mind and what comes out of the instrument. You could train a million Chinese from childhood to play perfectly and memorize thousands of technically complex riffs and not one of them would be shit compared to Hendrix.
>>
>>121539578
Were there better guitarists before him? Absolutely. But he was one of the first guys to pioneer the distortion/effects driven electric sound to its full effect. That's literally it. I don't even like rock music but it's a fact.
>>
>>121539578
I always wondered if you underated him because of his skin color.
>>
>'SCUSE ME... WHILE I MASTURBATE!
>*music abruptly stops*
>*pulls pants down and makes eye contact with the male drummer*
>*masturbates as hippie boomers applaud*
>*dies without writing a good song*
>>
>>121539578
Very rough by all-time guitar skillsets standards, very elite compared to guitarists at the time. He's still better than a lot of musicians today at the very least, most of them don't even play an instrument.
>>
>>121549499
Get new material, you one trick pony.
>>
>>121539584
You're as revolting as negroes. Perhaps even moreso because you were born with the advantage and you squandered it.
>>
>>121551100
Cope, racist
>>
>>121551127
I dont think I will cope. Gas yourself you ugly abomination. I bet you are white.
>>
>>121551168
>Seething because someone has the audacity to treat another human with respect
You won’t say this irl
>>
>>121539578
nah Electric Ladyland is fucking fantastic
>>
>>121551070
no

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.