[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Now that the dust has truly settled, what did we really think of it? Also, seeing them live soon for the first time. What can I expect?
>>
I heard about how great this band is for years but everything I've heard from them sounds really cheesy. And their cover of No Quarter is absolutely horrible.
>>
It was okay but it definitely sounded like what people who don’t like Tool think they sound like. Overly long, wanky, kinda boring. The songs aren’t bad but idk, it lacks a lot of the charm the older albums had
>>
It's their worst album, but its still not awful. Agree they need to fuck off trying to make everything an epic song. Nothing wrong with blasting out a 3:30 absolute fucking banger.
>>
a step up from Power to Believe, i didn't think robert still had it in him
>>
>>121586964
Forgettable aside from 7empest
>>
>>121586964
They're awful. I say this as a huge "Prog nerd":mainstream audiances are right and Tool 100% deserves the hate. Incredibly pointless music. Never feels like they have a concrete musical goal or anything.
>>
>>121586964
It's a beautiful album, I like that they didn't really try to repeat themselves and did more meditative type stuff
>>
They won't ever reach their previous heights until Maynard strips down to his undies and autistically gyrates in front centre stage.
Fear Inoculum was okay. But they've clearly lost the sauce that they had in the late 90's early 2000's. Their sound isn't novel or unique anymore like it used to be. They seem to want to remain on brand and just make "tool music". Just like how dream theatre has made the same album over and over for the past decade.
>>
>>121586964
Was not a fan at first, but upon a few listens, Fear Inoculum is a good album
Not on the level of their first four, but good like 10k days
Also foreshadows the "covid" event, I guess Maynard has mason friends who fed him info
>>
I saw them when the album was new, hadn't listened to it, still haven't. They got the new tracks out of the way first and the rest was classics, although Maynard can't really do his madcunt voice now. I don't remember much from Undertow but they did a really heavy Part of Me which was cool
Expect security to not give a shit about weed and the burning skunk smell to permeate the venue when a track from Lateralus comes on
>>
Their other records had a sense of humor that this one doesn’t. Even on their more serious albums like 10,000 Days or Lateralus you’d get something ridiculous like Rosetta Stoned or bizarre like Faaip De Oiad. Fear Inoculum doesn’t have any of that. It’s totally straight faced, dead serious prog metal and it lacks a lot of that sneaky charm their other albums have.
>>
>>121587435
>weed and the burning skunk smell
gross
tool fans are the worst
>>
>>121587450
They had a bunch of pointless instrumentals like Chocolate Chip Trip and the bonus tracks
>>
>>121587435
Amsterdam is the city, so the smell is not a problem. Part of Me would be fucking great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTFRHF9X88
>>
>>121587632
Would like to see tool
The only problem is all the tool fans
>>
>>121587509
nta but that is just it, pointless. at least with the harry manback bits you could have a small pointless chuckle. Or like >>121587450 mentioned Rosetta Stoned, just a good tune that isnt serious wank.
>>
>>121587509
Danny has earned the right to diddle a little.
>>
File: huh.png (464 KB, 800x450)
464 KB
464 KB PNG
>>121587835
>>
I personally love the album. It’s right behind Lateralus as their second best, for me. NPCs and musical normies like to unjustifiably dunk on Tool for various reasons, but at the end of the day, Tool are one of the GOATs.
>>
File: IMG_4765.jpg (305 KB, 1284x2778)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>121586995
>cover of No Quarter is absolutely horrible

Yep, it’s time for you to not have access to the Internet anymore.
>>
>>121586964
>buckbreaks Taylor
Remember any time you see people hating on Tool on here, it's all Swiftiefags
>>
>>121586964
it’s shit but at least it’s TOOL’s shit
>>
Aenema > Lateralus > Undertow > Opiate >>>> the rest are fucking terrible legacy tainters
>>
>>121588230
10000 Days belongs after Lateralus and I won’t pretend it doesn’t
>>
>>121587259
>i say this as a hug retard, and mega faggot.
Kek
>>
>>121586964
I liked it but wished it had more edge, it's obvious that they became boring old men in the gap between albums
>>
File: IMG_4449.jpg (7 KB, 225x224)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>121588230
Not true in the slightest, but alright.
>>
>>121588257
That’s obvious. Lateralus is untouchable. Everyone knows that.
>>
>>121588391
immediately after Lateralus, rather. not in the “legacy tainter” category that’s for sure
>>
>>121587736
I get that, but don’t let the “fans” prohibit you from seeing the band live. It’s truly a unique experience.
>>
>>121588230
Ænima's great but a bit too inconsistent for me and I'd put Lateralus and Undertow above it. Also 10,000 Days is largely fine with a couple of stand out tracks.
>>
File: 1709860129567351.jpg (43 KB, 225x274)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>121586964
It fucking sucks, THE stain on an otherwise extremely solid catalog.
>>
>>121588080
It really is bad. It sounds so cheesy and dated compared to the original. The only good thing about it is that it makes the original sound so raw and real in comparison. If Tool fans really think that it's that good then they're probably not worth getting into.
>>
>>121586964
incredible record and literally predicted the pandemic
>>
>>121587352
All their gigs are fucking seating only for the last decade, they have no interest in energetic live shows anymore. Danny Carey carries it all alone.
>>
>>121589601
it seems Maynard was hip to what was planned for the lyrics and when read separately from the music they absolutely give you a psychic map to guide your soul through the evil mass hysteria spell that was to come.
>>
>>121586964
I like it but don’t quite love it. Some of the songs are a bit long-winded but there are some great moments still. I like Pneuma and Descending the most. Tool is a great live band - enjoy the show, OP!

Just for fun, my Tool album ranking from best to worst (they’re all good):
>Lateralus
>10,000 Days
>Ænima
>Fear Inoculum
>Undertow
>>
not one song with real aggression or even heavy emotion at all, basically the singing sucks and they could use a few more direct faster songs, makes 10,000 days look better retrospectively
>>
>>121590565
>undertow at the bottom
clear marker of the kind of lame irritating tool fan, that album had peak aggression
>>
>>121586964
Proof that not all pretentious wankery is fast.
>>
>>121590714
Well I don’t think I’m irritating lol. I like Undertow. It just doesn’t have as many memorable tracks for me. But I do find it hard to rank their albums and I know I like 10,000 Days more than more Tool listeners.
>>
Their best album is the Salival CD
>>
>>121590767
the last several tracks on undertow are godly, title track, and flood. Then prison sex is probably my favorite straightforward rocker
>>
>>121587364
>foreshadows the "covid" event
how?
>>
>>121587509
The purpose if the improvised instrumental tracks were each member "inoculating" themselves from the "fear" of releasing music they consider imperfect which led to them scrapping an almost finished album in 2011, and taking a further 8 years to do this one.
>>
>>121591052
Studio version of Pushit fucking mogs the Salival version. The riffs in the first half are badass and it's a better contrast with the middle section. The gay tabla stuff on salival is cool but overrated
>>
>>121586964
Good album but their worst by default
Didnt give me the satisfaction that 10k did and nothing else probably will
>>
>>121586964
AOTY in 2008
>>
>>121587352
it's hard to justify the old tool sound after a dozen post-hardcore bands refined it in the 00's
>>
>>121591693
they didn't release any music because of litigation against an insurance company that dragged on forever
>>
>>121592590
Originality is the only thing that matters
>>
>>121592613
Nonsense.
>>
>>121586964
It's a little overworked, but not bad. The earlier stuff is better obviously.
>>
>>121589581
Stay gay, faggot. Enjoy that.
>>
>>121586964
gay
>Verification not required.
>>
File: voote.jpg (55 KB, 600x450)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
No amount of wind could to begin to cover up your petulant stench and demeanor
Calm as cookies and cream, so it seems
We're not buying your dubious state of serenity
Acting all surprised when you're caught in the lie
We know better
It's not unlike you
It's not unlike you
We know your nature

Drumpf BTFO
>>
>>121591665
>the Tool logo folded over at the top is a syringe
>fear inoculum
>fear the breath, fear the others for eternity
>calculating steps away from you
>forfeit all control
Anyway, there will be a mason faggot along shortly to deny it
>>
>>121595601
>describes things that already existed prior to 2019
>no it must be about thing that hadn't happened yet that it doesn't even describe well.
Call me Mason because that sounds retarded.
>>
10k was their worst. This album did tap into the covid thing as someone mentioned. Does have some filler on it but it also has very strange build ups (descending) which I havent heard on any of the old albums. Maynard is off the opiates and sodomizing fans so the music is a lot lighter in comparison.
>>
It's without a doubt their weakest. Only a single memorable song on the whole thing. It's not bad, just incredibly underwhelming and bland.

Aenima > Undertow > Lateralus > 10,000 Days > Opiate > Fear Inoculum
>>
>>121592626
nah writing good songs is what matters
>>
>>121595733
this is probably my ranking except for i'd put Opiate above 10k days, 10k days has moments but Opiate has the title track which always hypes me up

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.