[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1715084776006.jpg (35 KB, 658x652)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
I miss /mu/ elitism
>>
>>121769384
I miss being able to talk about music that was actually of value somewhere on the internet as opposed to trying to pretend like The Beatles or Beach Boys were some kind of high art. Zoomers really were a cursed generation.
>>
>>121769392
>beach boys
>beatles
>zoomers
?
>>
File: ihatezoomers.jpg (53 KB, 560x500)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>121769392
>>
>>121769392

Are the black posters taking shine away from your kpop general lil Timmy?
>>
>>121769392
This is why you lost. You're just more insufferable and a pretentious midwit
>>
I miss not having kpop tards around
>>
File: Polar Express Kid.jpg (57 KB, 843x473)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>>121769392

>Are the black posters taking shine away from your kpop general lil Timmy?
>>
>>121769384
This is the only board that got better after 2016.
>>
>>121770176
I'm glad you're taking a break from gooning to BBC sissy hypno but can you please go somewhere else?
>>
>>121770316
>taking a break from gooning to BBC sissy hypno
Nta but why even project your shit like this anon?
>>
>>121769615
>>121770149
I'm 27,I'm a zoomer myself technically.
>>121770184
Meme Words,you listen to tardslop because you're a retard. Simple as.
>>121770176
I don't listen to K-Pop.
>>
>>121770334
U serious? That guy started fantasizing about blacks randomly for no reason and then did the Timmy cuck meme.
>>
File: uhuh.jpg (25 KB, 375x465)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>I'm 27,I'm a zoomer myself technically.
>>
idk about elitism but I miss actual discussion of and a curiosity to discover stuff outside the current top 40 slop. theres a literal lifetime of popular music to listen to but if its not taylor swift or a tiny handful of rappers /mu/ seems absolutely clueless and disinterested these days. seems like The Algorithm decided thats all they needed to hear and theres no appetite to move past that.
>>
>>121770446
Zoomers aren't culturally like millenials. Millenials had a culture of elitism in which everybody was trying to read the classics and more obscure books, everyone was trying to know the obscure but talented band before they got famous, everybody was watching criterion collection movies and trying to be more cultured than the next person. Zoomers do not have this elitist culture at all, they just consume the slop.
>>
>>121769392
I wish [spoiler]my fellow[/spoiler] Zoomers liked The Beatles and the Beach Boys.
>>
why are we even here
>>
File: 1702529400071560.jpg (342 KB, 1080x1879)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>121769384
zoomers aren't elitist so it's gone
zoomers need artists they like to be popular they can't listen to weirdo music or their spotify wrapped will be horrible and lead to public online shaming
they also don't have the attention span for it
>>
I don’t even know what the fuck is going on. Two weeks ago there were practically no rap threads, outside of Kanye West most rappers were mocked including Kendrick himself, I can’t imagine such a large influx of posters in a short period of time.

I understand Drake and Kendrick were very popular outside of this forum previously but I’m not sure why a bunch of teenagers (I would hope) would flock here of all places to talk about them. Can’t you just text your friends or go on Instagram? Hell I don’t even like rap music and my cousin asked my opinion and gave me a full dissertation I didn’t ask for.

The board was pretty bad prior, this is really sad to see. There may be like a half dozen people still interested in discussing music outside of Billboard on /mu/, who would think that could ever occur?

And you know I listened to the Kendrick songs my cousin asked me to, just two of them, and they sound like shit. His voice is really squeaky like a little kid hopped on sugar talking about he’s a gangster, and then the beat isn’t even nice like a lot of rap music. I don’t even get how people can care about two very boring very VERY soft looking rappers that don’t even have anything interesting to say

I honestly hate these kids and their rap music, lmao and I’m a 30 year old black guy. But even when I started browsing /mu/ at 17 or so I came to find new music not just what was on the radio, I had no issue finding that or people to discuss it with. The forum today reads like a discussion in my high school in the ghetto, but it’s all white guys LARPing

There used to be shame about that sort of thing which is why you can’t type baka
>>
>>121771213
You’re right about the fact that we’re not elitist. But we don’t consume slop we enjoy classics as well we’re just normal about it.
>>
>>121771322
And /mu/ was also the most active it's ever been in years
You just got reminded what zoomers love
They don't care about the music you want to talk about on here they don't listen to it shit half of them don't even know how to find it
And old /mu/ is dead those guys are gone and they rightly don't give a fuck about this new shit music
You guys all just forgot
I don't know if it is a larp. Zoomer kids talk like ghetto kids now everywhere
>>
>>121771322
it's twitterfags who found out about this place via memethony shittano and denizens of the shit boards where they consume normalfag slop like /tv/, /pol/ and /sp/
a lot of them used to spam memerap and odd future whatever here ten years ago but now they only come back when major male rappers have drama, the kanye stuff and 6ix9ine being beat up thread had them come back too
>>
>>121771322
Yea, this crowd that's flooded in recently is abnormally retarded
>>
>>121771403
It's an entire generation of gay wiggers. Never thought gay and wigger would combine but here we are.
>>
File: 4ff.png (200 KB, 700x700)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>121771488
Checked
>>
>>121769392
Cry harder old hag
>>
does /mu/ still like the swans?
>>
>>121771532
I liked the Great Annihilator & White Light but that's about it
>>
>>121771230
I'm a zoomer that likes the beach boys. Hello :)
>>
Zoomer brain rot
>>
>>121771403
You know it doesn’t really bother me they don’t wanna listen to what I listen to, I mean they’re younger so I’d feel like I had some issues if kids were into my music. Not only that but I never liked in the aero plane over the sea or pitchfork, it’s just moreso for me I always thought of /mu/ being someplace to come to discuss and discover music you might not have come across elsewhere. If I was 17 again and I liked (I don’t even know) Katy Perry and I guess it was still Taylor Swift and Drake back then as it is now, I wouldn’t ever feel any need to go on a music forum to talk about it. I had friends in real life that liked that shit

As for the old ghetto talk I feel like it’s already bad enough when you see these little suburban black kids running around calling themselves sagging their pants talking like they’re gangsters knowing they’re coming from a good home. I don’t even understand what motivates a white kid to have to really even sit there and think about how he’s going to express himself in a way that resembles some ghetto scum you peel off the bottom of your sneaker. I’m from the projects and I don’t talk like that, not even with my friends that stayed in the projects. It’s just nothing to aspire to, it’s sad for adults not to be able to speak and be understood. And you want to sit there and pretend to be like that, I don’t get that but to each their own.

I think there’s a difference between having a taste (of your own) and no taste, and these kids they’re just into TMZ and gossip and drama, it’s a thread talking about Taylor Swift’s relationship and if she’ll get married. Coincidentally there’s a thread with Isaac Haye’s grandson given his—much needed I suppose—opinion on rap beef. I’ve been listening to Isaac Hayes since I was 4 years old and I didn’t know if he had kids, married and I never thought to look it up. Like why is any of shit relevant? I thought this was a music forum, idk.
>>
>>121771532
FUNDS
>>
>>121772649
SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
>>121772644
>As for the old ghetto talk I feel like it’s already bad enough when you see these little suburban black kids running around calling themselves sagging their pants talking like they’re gangsters knowing they’re coming from a good home. I don’t even understand what motivates a white kid to have to really even sit there and think about how he’s going to express himself in a way that resembles some ghetto scum you peel off the bottom of your sneaker. I’m from the projects and I don’t talk like that, not even with my friends that stayed in the projects. It’s just nothing to aspire to, it’s sad for adults not to be able to speak and be understood. And you want to sit there and pretend to be like that, I don’t get that but to each their own.
its because 4chan is full of upper-middle to genuine blue-blooded upper class people
if youve lived around poors you know they dont like that behaviour and they can be quite harsh in policing it, they tend to be very aspirational and worship erudition (even superficial erudition) and high culture
wiggers are 100% an upper class phenomenon. 4chan and twitter and social media are proof of it.
>>
>>121770176
this is some awesome badass r/asianmasculinity posting my dudes. dunkin on whitoids erry day. this one's going on the sticky my beautiful golden kings
>>
>>121770434
>That 30 year old zoomer.
Bros... I think CERN may have actually ended the world in 2012.
>>
>>121772644
People have talked about Kendrick on here since more than a decade ago. Yeah it honestly really sucks even the most classic /mu/ core is never mentioned these days, but you are the weird one for never listening to tpab.
>>
>>121772951
I think the difference between us, my brother, is I listen to what I’d like to regardless of whether or not it’s ‘weird’ and I’m not inclined to listen to something because it will make me less so. Seems like a waste of time. I don’t like hip hop music and if I did it wouldn’t be coming from that kind of voice, I liked Ice Cube and KRS One guys like that when I was a little kid.

This guy sounds like Blueface on the new diss tracks and I can’t get down with that even if it makes me the weirdest damn dude in the world.
>>
>>121770176
K-Pop degenerates belong on a cross.
>>
>>121771322
Kendrick vs. Drake is the only interesting thing that's happened in music since... probably the last time Drake got his ass handed to him in a beef, if we're being honest.
WTF else are we supposed to talk about? Taylor's album was so garbage, even her fans could barely defend it for a couple days before moving on. Indie music has been reduced to nothing but posh British trust-fund brats making tuneless post-punk. Justice released another album that wasn't as good as AVD and will go right back on hiatus for another decade. Vultures is impossible to discuss because people seethe whenever Kanye's name is mentioned. I liked the new Erra album but nobody listens to metalcore on here. Are you just mad that there isn't the same regurgitated Fantano, Christgau, Scaruffi and Albini threads up at all times?
>>
>>121772644
The landscape of music discussion and imo the music itself has changed due to stan culture. I wrote on that here before but simply put things are just different now.

Zoomers aren't so much into music like that but they are into personalities a shitload. You can't get a recommendation for a selection of albums or songs in a field from them because why would they even bother doing that? The algorithms will do that for them. They have never needed to curate or develop taste in that way. But you can pick an artist you like and deep dive hard into them and learn everything about them and go online and see 100,000 other people doing the same thing and find their subreddits, discord severs social media pages forums all dedicated not to a genre of music but to that particular person. A million different discussion topics with thousands of people all about on one person. That's why you get zoomers talking about an artist's "aura" over their music.

So in real life you might talk about an artist you like with your friend for 5-10 minutes but you can go online and talk their entire life with a bunch of other people for 5 hours. Their communities are based around selected people rather than chosen forms of music. So they're very knowledgeable about 1 artist and totally clueless about anything else. They'll fund a groupbuy to get an unreleased demo track but ask them about another genre or artist they won't know anything outside of Billboard or Spotify playlists. Those festivals are feeling it too it's hard to sell tickets to a genre show when they want to see 1 person and do not care about anyone else or if that festival has an artist there they hate, like when Kid Cudi replaced Kanye at that show and they only stayed to boo and throw things at him because Kanye was having personal issues with Kid Cudi, nothing even music related.
>>
>>121772644
I think some of the problem is that the zoomers who would've fit in culturally with old /mu/ in terms of finding obscure gems are mostly just on RYM now in part because of the chart functionality; though I bet there's probably more to it than just that. As one of those hipster zooms I can't fucking stand RYM personally because of how policed and censored it is but a lot of zoomers don't know any better and were raised on the censored corponet as opposed to older ones that remember how things used to be. Maybe that's playing a part, idk. I wish this place was doing better. It really is a shame to see the kotalog dominated by top 100 slop.
>>
>>121773007
Well no I don't mean weird like outside the general culture norm. I'm saying weird relative to the music forum culture you are preaching about. Acting like kendrick is some billboard artist that never had a place here is a dishonest framing. All the more power to you to not like the music man, I'm just saying just because you don't like it doesn't mean Kendrick's music has no historical place in this forum. Tpab has always been on charts, and had a good amount of threads here.
>>
>>121773096
could hardly make threads about anything else during fantano and rym's TPAB slurping peak
>>
>>121773055
>>121773041
To add to my post I think this probably plays a part too. The algorithmization (is that a word?) of everything has just completely changed how people interact with music. Mix that with young people who don't remember the days before this was the norm and have never actually done research into genres or topics that they liked and I think it somewhat explains the current state of the board. Though again there are probably countless factors at play outside of the ones mentioned in this thread.
>>
>>121773096
Man I’m telling you two or three weeks ago the only post about TPAB were saying it’s overrated because of the guy’s politics and his fans are guilty liberals. Assuredly there has been a major influx of people into that sort of ‘music,’ otherwise they’d have defended him as vehemently then as they pretend his squealing on the track like a God damn girl is the highest of art now.

That’s why it’s confusing to me, any rap topic before these last few weeks has been saged and disrespected by a primarily conservative and a little bit racist userbase. And I’m black mind you so I’m not imploring these things I’m just noticing them, where the fuck did all these teenagers come from who even care about Drake enough to want to see him ‘dethroned?’ There want one fucking Drake thread I swear to God in the last month preceding this

It’s garbage peddled by garbage men, and that’s my somewhat informed opinion having been asked to listen to two of the Kendrick tracks at least.
>>
File: 1714651127184794.jpg (522 KB, 965x3418)
522 KB
522 KB JPG
The old /mu/ is gone
>>
>>121773157
It's not like that man the critical reception on Kendrick has led to a ton of discussion about on here. Listen to How Much a Dollar Cost off of TPAB. I promise its a good listen.
>>
>>121773273
I think I’m just the problem, I’m old. Not old old but I’m old I’ve got kids getting ready to be in middle school, I got on 4chan for the first time at the beginning of high school. The music that’s popular now has passed me by, I just don’t want to hear about no ‘nigga nigga nigga’ or ‘booty booty booty’ no more; at the family reunion and Christmas party I’ll rap the old school verse and dance to them old songs but in a way I’m just not open minded towards rap anymore.

I think I heard that 21 Savage “call it KKK cause my choppa (my gun) hates niggas” song and I was done with rap music after that and my kids don’t listen to it and think they’re as white as the driven snow so I’m fortunate. I think the new generation will take over /mu/, they already have, and if they like the music I love it how about that. I concede
>>
>>121773157
> any rap topic before these last few weeks has been saged and disrespected by a primarily conservative and a little bit racist userbase.
yeah but that's recent. It was a little successful because so few zoomers were actually on the board but you can clearly see they're here no. Shit 4chan /mu/ banners have kanye and odd future in them and those things were made over 10 years ago.

What's different now is that the current /mu/ users who stay here all day are seeing that oh wait, it's not the zoomers didn't talk about rap, it's that the zoomers weren't here at all. So now some shit is going on they've flooded here and those Not Music posters are seething
>>
>>121773150
My favorite album was and will probably forever be tcotck which I found on /mu/ and subsequently listened to on mushrooms when I was around 14. I consistently listened to albums on charts and the wiki all the way through, and stuff from phil elverum, swans, godspeed became burned into my brain. The problem happened later in high school I got a lot more friends and got a Spotify family plan. I guess that thirst for interesting new music was really neutered by the algorithms as I had so much cheap discovery power with the recommender systems. I haven't had the feeling of being totally confused on first listen and reaching a sort of euphoria when the music clicked since then, almost 6 years ago, and I guess that curiosity never really has any reason to bubble up again. Algorithms let you pick whatever sounds the best in a matter of a split second, that is incredibly destructive to expanding your horizons.
>>
It's really unfortunate how every single website has deteriorated significantly. /mu/ used to be hipster central and now it's just a bunch of fags discussing pop music.
>>
>>121773425
It's kinda funny how people in real life have become far more atomized but the internet has really amalgamated and homogenous mass social networks have replaced comfy hobbyist corners of the internet.
>>
>>121773388
How do you feel about Doom man? That is something that I've been able to show my zoomer friends who have an appreciation for cool stuff and they love it.
>>
>>121773157
>There want one fucking Drake thread I swear to God in the last month preceding this
Drake's regular music for the past ten years has been pure filler released to boost his streaming numbers and make more money for Universal. It isn't discussed on /mu/ for the same reason there aren't threads about on-hold music. There's nothing to talk about, it just exists. The only time he's ever warranted discussion is when Pusha humiliated him and when Kendrick and Metro humiliated him.
>>
Honestly we should start banning people like Bryonposter who do nothing but disrupt discussion.
>>
>>121773033
>I liked the new Erra album but nobody listens to metalcore on here.
that's the issue, nobody here listens to anything but the rym top 100 and top 40 hypeslop anymore, nobody has any taste of their own, and the few that do get nowhere on here because if you make a thread that doesn't fit those categories it goes straight to the bottom of the catalog. I don't give a shit about metalcore but that would be a better conversation than 95% of current /mu/. a decade ago all the popshit would've been rightfully laughed off the board and these astroturf beef threads would've been limited to one at a time at most
>>
File: 1689534050711058.jpg (58 KB, 609x465)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>121769384
>>121773425
this shit was 14 years ago
it's been over
>>
>>121771322
you should be ashamed for being a fucking oreo wannabe white boi
>>
File: 237e2a0599e8d7.jpg (47 KB, 554x554)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
First time I check on /mu/ in a long time, this thread makes me so sad.
>>
/mu/ has always attracted underage normie zoomers due to its associations with fantano and death grips, and the memes from here leaking into other online music communities. when theres big events in rap or musicians are in the mainstream news these guys will come out of the woodwork
>>
>>121778453
Yeah but those retards would at least pretend to be into "underground hip hop" and try to find random nobody's mixtapes on datpiff and soundcloud, so even they were willing to dig a little deeper. We don't even have that anymore
>>
>>121773867
This nigga knows what he's talking about. I miss alternative /mu/ elitism, that being, trying to defend your weirdo tastes while fighting inside this community, kinda like trying to convince other people that Soulja Boi was actually based, avant-garde and innovative when nobody gave a fuck about him from an artistic perspective.
>>
/mu/ got overtaken by left wing midwits from Reddit so naturally it's a den of mediocrity now
if you want nuance and sophistication go to /lit/
>>
no I'M niggerfish420
>>
It’s simple really. Obvious underage posters before 2016 or so were shunned, reported and banned. Now they dominate this board and no one cares.
>>
>>121780129
newfags were never "banned", they were just called out more often, but then calling them out became a tired meme so we just stopped
>>
>>121780065
honestly even when /mu/core was consolidated as a concept and big here, people's taste still wasn't as homogenized at it is now and stuff like what you said still happened. I stopped using this board around 2018, came back for a bit in 2020, and now am back again and it's baffling how fucking abysmal it's gotten. even in 2020 there was still some variety and new shit was happening in music to drive discussion, now there's nothing and the board is 1/3 as active as it was at its peak. my only explanation is some combination of /mu/core getting exported around the internet as the new average basic bitch canon, poptimism winning out so completely it's just taken as a given, election tourists destroying the board culture, and all the zoomers being spoonfed by algorithms like spotify (or rym to a lesser extent, which is also where most of the actually interesting people left this board for.) they don't even have to look for shit anymore, the same limited set of music is just dumped on all of them and they never feel the need to go beyond that. it's not like they'll find anything new here either after all the years of /pol/shit and poptimist coombaiters dominating the catalog, newfags don't know any remnants of the old board.
>>121780078
this is the opposite of what happened and you know it
>>
File: 1518642027128.png (107 KB, 672x1817)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
Admit it, you miss them.
>>
>>121769392
you can still listen to some good ol dadrock while also enjoying your pretentious music you know
>>
>>121773033
>WTF else are we supposed to talk about? Taylor's album was so blah blah blah etc.
Apparently you need to listen to me since I'm one of the five people apparently on here interested in new music that's not popsludge.
I've thought before that we need a new /mu/ where we can get a primarily younger audience who have passion and not be held back by oldfags, but places like those exist and they're not /mu/. They're discord servers, they're YouTube channels, and I guess they're RYM.
>>
>>121769392
/mu/ is all Drake & Kendrick posting today though you out of touch fuck.
>>
>>121773482
and it used to be the other way around
>>
>>121771322
Pretty sure it's unironic mass industry shilling, it doesn't feel a single bit organic
>>
>>121769384
Avant- teens were pretentious, but (at least speaking from my own experience), they did really listen to the weird music they posted. I loved Ligeti and Penderecki and The Residents as a teenager, I didn’t spam them on /mu/ for no reason. Nowadays it seems it’s less about music so much as it’s about perceived fame of the artists. Who is winning some record label manufactured “beef,” who “fell off,” shit like that. I just don’t care about chart toppers and never have, but at least now I’m old enough that it’s not weird anymore
>>
>>121769384
Its still elitist as fuck, just about pop40 shit music now instead of obscure musics.
>>
>>121780386
Not Montie.
>>
>>121780425
I know,90% of the shit I listen to is old acid rock. One of my favorite bands is Quicksilver Messenger Service.
>>
>>121778453
>always
>fantano and death grips
>
>>
>>121782337
Montie wasn't from the golden era, although he's pretty much the latest tripfag anyone even remembers.
>>
>>121782687
who came later, him or Aaron? those were the last two of any relevance
>>
remember that very well known guy who slammed anything that wasn't like synthpop?
can't think of the name
>>
File: TB-303 Player.jpg (45 KB, 600x800)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
i miss hipster runoff and phiz

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.