[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1700572001206861.jpg (274 KB, 1407x715)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
Disasters never have one root cause and neither did the destruction of cycling. But I know some important milestones in the decline and fall:

1. COVID 19. Enough said.
2. Full suspension mountain bikes. Enough said.
3. Reddit. Enough said.
4. Twitter. Enough said.
5. British "people". Enough said.
6. The d-tch. Enough said.
7. The state of Utah. Enough said.
8. Zwift, Peloton, "Spin Class", and other cancer. Enough said.

What were some other key moments?
>>
>>1962645
>What were some other key moments?
this thread
>>
>>1962645
>more than a hundred years old hobby
>rich history with great influence across the globe
>not going anywhere as long as humans have legs and steel
yet somehow you fucking snowflake can announce it destroyed due to your imaginary reasons no one asked about
>>
>>1962645
Steel bikes being premium
Thru-axle
"Touring bikes"
>>
>>1962645
Strava didn't help with their interesting decisions in the past 2 years.
>>
>>1962680
I just use komoot, haven't even tried strava. Komoot is kind of shit but good enough, what about strava?
>>
File: 1699152871870189.jpg (80 KB, 1600x1200)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
What a garbage thread.
>>
>>1962679
>Steel bikes being premium
This isn't a conspiracy

Aluminium bikes are lighter for the money and so suit the entry level market better and so far many more of them are produced and so the price is cheaper, and for many other valid reasons.
>>
>>1962681
I dunno my interest in that stuff has fallen off hard I don't even track my rides or runs anymore because I've lost the competitive part of me due to depression.
>>
File: 818abac0ab87f1e0.jpg (10 KB, 225x225)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1962687
Nope aluminum bikes are the standard slop now because logistics are cheaper with lighter frames
>>
File: 1699431768348750.png (278 KB, 463x583)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>1962645
>What destroyed cycling
What question is that? I ride my MTB's on trails for the last 10 years. Nothing was destroyed. Bikes got better tho.
My roadbike is faster and lighter. Saddle is comfier, di2 is a dream.
Commuting and shopping didnt change a bit.

Overall, cycling improved massively in my opinion. Its much more fun. Bikes are more capable, better geo for bombing hills/trails, suspensions are crazy good now.
>>
>>1962645
>6. The d-tch. Enough said
rent. free.
>>
>>1962645
26" wheels
Shouldn't have gone away from 700c
>>
>>1962645
>cycling is ruined because there are NIMBYs on twitter and people who dare ty to get fit with home bikes
another extraordinarily flamboyant opening poster
>>
Shitty bait thread on a cycling board
>>
>>1962811
Delivery costs for stuff that size is done on volume not weight
>>
>>1962672
fpbp
>>
>>1962645
>destruction of cycling
you get on the bike and ride, who gives a fuck about 'bicycle culture'? do you also lament the destruction of hiking every time you go for a walk?
>>
>>1962687
And every other material is marginally better.
>>
>What destroyed cycling
Cyclists. Imagine letting riding a bike as a hobby become your whole personality to the point where call yourself a "cyclist". If you heard someone say "Yeah, I'm a driver." and driving cars wasn't their job, you'd think they were a lunatic.
>>
>>1962645
>China 1980
>>
File: 940x705.jpg (212 KB, 940x705)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>1963699
>China 2020
What went wrong?
Why did cycling fail?
>>
>>1963701
>>
>>1962687
Don't forget, it's easy to hydroform aluminium into more aerodynamic or more marketable shapes (you're not limited to cylindrical or oval tubes), and it's got a very low melting point compared to steel and therefore takes less energy to produce.

It's not a bad material all things considered.
>>
>>1963742
Yeah but what if I have to ride my gaspipe shitter on the surface of venus? Buyfag freds, the china menace, and dentist racers BTFO! I could totally be a pro I just don't apply myself because this isn't a race.
>>
>>1963773
Right, I forgot about tour du Soleil.
>>
>>1962645
Cringe sociopath image
>>
>>1962645
How is cycling "destroyed"?
Who's stopping you from going for a ride RIGHT NOW?
>>
File: file.png (51 KB, 326x294)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>1962645
Pretty good image but I think people who are shitty and elitist about bikes are stupid morons.

If you aren't a bike mechanic or an expert, don't fucking chime in on technical discussions. If you are an obsessive bike nerd, don't be an asshole to the people that aren't. Conflict solved.
>>
>>1963699
>when China was poor and still commie
>>1963701
>After China became rich and capitalist
Cycling is always a major fail, get a car or be forever a peasant.
>>
>>1965577
It's a shit picture, muh trading card games are a laughable """hobby""" and gatekeeping such faggotry is beyond pathetic.
And hobbies that are respectable enough like cycling benefit from not being tryhard sausage fests. Imagine complaining about having women in your hobbies, as if they were something that scared you.
>>
File: gwrrsm84tnib1.jpg (83 KB, 827x984)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1965620
Sex segregated hobbies are bad?
>>
>>1965625
Not all hobbies are sports. Segregate them when they become competitions, but don't gatekeep them when it's you and your shitty bingbingwahoos and other niggersoy fuckery.
Also your pic is of women fearing men, which is absolutely normal because women are weak and dumb.
>>
>>1965620
I am afraid of women and I do NOT want them shitting up my hobbies.
>>
>>1965620
I am scared of women and I know the power they have(the law+society).
>>
>>1965643
>>1965631
>i am a huge fucking faggot
yeah we can tell
>>
File: PXL_20231012_172653894.jpg (3.22 MB, 2268x4032)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>1962645
Cycling is destroyed? Huh I didn't notice
>>
>>1962645
>What destroyed cycling?
Autistics who made it a faggy gear-n-socialmedia subculture rather than just the simple act of "riding a bicycle" AKA you.
BAWWWWW go ride a bike retard.
>>
File: unknown-2.png (818 KB, 640x720)
818 KB
818 KB PNG
>>1962645
You got it kinda wrong, OP.

There are several reasons why the Bicycle Industry is seeing collapse. And it's not due to cycling becoming mainstream.

1. Pandemic:
Lockdowns & "Shelter-In-Place" orders made exceptions for "outdoor exercise", and a lot of people who typically only went to the gym for a workout thought about what they could do outdoors that's exercise. For anyone not already running, cycling became the big one.
Normies bought bicycles en masse creating massive profits for bike manufacturers.Except normies don't actually like cycling - they did 2-3 rides, didn't like how fit they needed to be to go up hills and didn't like the weather.
The result? A saturated used market for high-end bicycles.

2. Britain:
Look at the cycling brands collapsing and tell me where they're from. Islabikes, Wiggle CRC, GCN+, British Cycling, Evans Cycles - yes, they're all British.
Brexit has resulted in economic shrinkage, as various weirdos too scared of White Slavic Immigrants, now have political leaders who are all descended from former colonies. Immigration is now at record highs in the UK, and they're not Slavic people anymore.
Through a mix of Brexit fucking up the entire exporting of good, and also the Tories waging culture war on cycling, claiming that being a cyclist is "woke", and that being a cager is "freedom", it's had this impact.

3. Corporate Greed:
After the record profits from selling record numbers of high-end bicycles to middle managers with cabin fever, the bicycle industry was convinced that there's now a massive market out there for high-end bicycles.
Year after year, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Canyon, Pinarello, and Scott all made active decisions to shit on the entry level bikes, and make more and more $/€/£10k bicycles with extra special features that will save you 5 watts!
Of course, the used market is saturated with these high-end bikes going cheap, and no one buys a brand new bicycle every year.
>>
>>1962645
No offense but cyclists are some of the biggest elitist fags in any sporting community. It’s clear someone decides what is cool or not, and then the lemmings all fall in line. Examples:

- oh lol you have a dork disk
- lol aero bars ? You mean go fast bars?
- that’s a Cervelo? You must be a dentist
- Fred Fred Fred
- that’s not the right bike for this event. God forbid you own just 1 or 2 bikes

The grand irony is there is usually some sort of intimidation factor at play with gatekeeping. But anyone who takes cycling seriously looks like the just biked out of auschwitz. So as someone who lifts it bring a me great pleasure knowing I could snap all of these assholes like a twig at any given moment
>>
>>1966487
>brexit was caused by racists!
What? That makes no sense. It would only make sense to a pro-Commonwealth anti-Polish racist and they are pretty much non-existent.
>no it was caused by racists but they thought they were being racist and they really were being progressive!
>>
File: 1674007810591466.jpg (72 KB, 553x746)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
By what metric has cycling been "destroyed"? How is cycling worse now than it was in 2010, 2000, 1990, or 1980? I don't think OP put much thought into this thread. He's also probably a fag.
>>
>>1966487
>White
>Slavic
Pick one and only you fucking faggot.
>>
>>1966531
>It would only make sense
Making sense had nothing to do with it, except that people who wanted to avoid having to declare their money to central tax authorities were very very in favour of it. And those people own a lot of media outlets.
Makes you think.
>>
>>1966670
>every major financial institution and the sitting government of the day heavily anti-Brexit
>but the REAL powerbrokers didn’t want it
Fuck off, you’re literally the left wing version of Alex Jones listeners and you make us look bad. It’s not a “good vs evil” star wars plot.
>>
>>1966670
high iq post right here
>>
File: 1510018266473.gif (809 KB, 274x298)
809 KB
809 KB GIF
for whatever reason, cycling attracts narcissistic do-gooders that think they're "making a difference" by behaving like an asshole in public and not accounting for the massive difference between a dude on a bike going 10 mph and a one ton car that can rip to 120 mph at a moment's notice

they're not comparable forms of technology and should not mix. if you go full bike, you really need the separate space for them or you're fighting a losing battle (while have to watch you blow past stop signs and red lights in your mesh suit). i'm supposed to feel "bad" about cyclists when they get hit by cars or killed, but i remember that it's usually an idiot that was so poor they couldn't afford a cheap car and made that inferiority complex their personality.
>>
>>1970460
Thank you for not lying and pretending to support cycling. Usually this argument is wrapped in a disingenuous concern troll shitpost about how in amsterdam blah blah blah. This one speaks honestly. John Forester did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1962811
as a lazy entry-level cyclist I am pretty happy with a light frame also. It's almost the only component I haven't worn out and needed replaced in the last 10 years, not sure where steel would be an improvement.
>>
>>1970461
>in amsterdam blah blah blah
rent fucking free
>>
>>1970461
>John Forester
The guy you're replying to is arguing for the literall opposite.
Cope and seethe.
>>
>>1970639
Steel can give a different ride feel. Everyone groups aluminum as shit, but 2 decades ago it was the shit. If you care, ride more bikes and see if you can notice differences, then you will hone in on what you like.
Or just ride your current one.
>>
>>1962645
Bait image.
>1.
A point but things are mostly back to normal again
>2.
Don't ride one then
>3
Don't listen to anyone on there
>4
Don't listen to anyone on there
>5
Bait.
>6
Bait.
>7
Bait.
>8
Not real cyclists, ignore them.

Cycling isn't destroyed, it's fine.
>>
>>1962812
this guy destroyed cycling unironically
>>
>>1970460
I fucking hate old fucks using main road to cycle. Like what the fuck are they doing in +40mph lane with hills. I just take local roads to avoid these retards
>>
>>1970460
I bike because it feels good and because I'm better and more fit than you
I will take the lane when I feel like I need to.

Eat my ass.
>>
>>1962645
>COVID 19
plandemic was peak cycle boom, especially if you were lockdown rebel larping. We had like weekly cycle group rides on empty streets. Now that my city is pretty much back to prepandemic business as usual and everything has been open for like 1-2 years now, everyone is going back to their old ways and not cycling as much as they did during covid
>>
>>1963684
because driving is the standard, my friend who only uses a motorbike considers himself a biker. So do many who have a motorbike and only ride it in summer as a hobby. Besides that there are tons of people who identify with car brands, state what car they have on social media even if its completely unrelated and take selfies with cars. They dont call themselves drivers, they call themselves shit like mercedes owner or bmw drivers and sometimes even join local clubs.
>>
>>1971360
christian bale?
>>
>>1962645
Cycling became a lot more popular in my area when Covid happened, councils even started making new pop up bike lanes, some of which are still around.
I don't even know why you think it's 'destroyed', you come across as some Lycra larper who's annoyed that muh sanctity of cycling as an elitist hobby is being degraded by more people picking it up casually.
>>
File: 1707067952735480.webm (2.85 MB, 744x720)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB WEBM
>>1962645
Cyclists themselves destroyed it.
>>
>>1978392
Everyone wishes they could ride like this.
>>
>>1979825
i don't, this is retarded monkey caprioles
>>
>>1979825
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0itOCgJtNVU
>>
>>1965619
people are still peasants there will always be peasants even if everyone owns helicopters
>>
>>1962672
Enough said.
>>
>>1962645
Cycling when I started in 2008
>New bikes were cheap
>Used market was small. Word of mouth/car boot sale
>Seen as a hobby
>0 bike lanes
>30mph roads in every city
>Cars were smaller and less scary though
>Nowhere to lock up bike
Cycling now
>New bikes are astronomical
>Who cares because there are top-tier used bikes selling for pennies
>They're easy to find with the internet
>So many because casuals bought new and rode once during covid
>bike theft is basically an industry now, further reducing used prices
>"Car replacement" is in fashion now
>lots of cargo frames, baskets, rack types available
>No-one looks at your weird for biking to work any more
>Dedicated bike parking everywhere
>20 roads and more bike lanes
>Filled with idiots who have no clue how to cycle and SUVs
>>
>>1980239
urban problems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHNkUjR9nM
>>
>>1981635
>toob is part of the urbanism NJB YIMBY crowd
well that's a shame. oh well. guess I'll ignore all her videos from now on
>>
>>1981635
this crossover episode makes want to kill myself. PT is suicide fuel
>>
>>1966530
Why do you watch youtube?
>>
>>1970639
Steel is for homos needing "a certain feel" to get from A to B.
Modern aluminium frames are just as rigid/stiff unless you weigh 350 pounds
>>
File: aerobars.jpg (89 KB, 994x440)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>1966530
t. bought a cerevelo with aero bars and was told off by the cool group ride guys
>>
Real answer is CEN.
Steel bikes are pointless now because everything is built like an anvil and doesn't take advantage of the material's properties.
>>
>>1983725
Gotta follow the UCI rules. Don't you see the rules are there because of our safety?
>>
>>1962645
cycling hasn't been destroyed. you can go outside RIGHT NOW and ride a bicycle. anything beyond that is faff and nonsense.
>>
>>1981643
>>1981639
lol how is his voice is it watchable
>>
>>1981709
it's not for stiffness, it's for flex
>>
Just checked my local stores, new bikes are back to pre-pandemic prices. They're actually cheaper than they have ever been when you factor in our money dropped in value by 50%.
>>
>>1984666
yeah I picked up an sworks aethos campy ltd for $12.5k yesterday
>>
>>1979902
I do
>>
>>1984666
I checked mine and they have nothing but ebikes in stock. If you order you have to pay MSRP which is usually like 500 euros more than last year.
>>
>>1962645
Cars

Any other answer is just inhaling copium
>>
>>1986668
you don't actually have a bike do you
>>
>>1970460
Preach. It works both ways. Cyclists certainly don’t behave as though they are the most vulnerable road users.

It’s a shame. Bikes should be fun and cheap transport. Let’s all maintain order and follow the rules of the road so there are fewer accidents and everyone gets to go home safely whether they’re on two wheels or four.

Known tons of cool cyclists who ride responsibly. I like to ride in quiet areas for leisure on a nice day. Unfortunately a small group of entitled activists have utterly ruined the reputation of a genuinely great idea
>>
>>1962645
>muh safe space
>>
>>1990025
> cyclists who ride responsibly.
You mean who stay off roads unless there is a 0% chance any motorist will ever see them and be able to get upset. That is what you people mean by this.
>>
>>1979825
Kind of, shows amazing control and balance but at the same time that's really fucking obnoxious and I wouldn't ever endanger myself for something as stupid as random retards online thinking I'm cool.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.