[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is the most pleasurable airport to be a passenger in?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>1979930
Changi
>>
File: kgso.jpg (133 KB, 960x720)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>1979930
I flew in to KGSO for work at the peak of covid. The whole airport was completely devoid of people and in some areas a temporarily abandoned construction site. The terminal I arrived and departed from looked like it hadn't been remodeled in ages. The entirety of what I saw looked smelled and felt straight out of the 80s, reminded me a lot of bringing my dad to and from Logan as a kid.

Great experience 10/10
>>
File: TXL_Terminal_A.jpg (2.72 MB, 2376x1701)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
TXL
It will be missed
>>
>>1979930
Never been a passenger and only been to one airport so my answer is Hamburg HAM
>>
>>1979930
DTW isn't too bad, it's a longboi so you get to ride the train
I like BWI and the different "hallways"

CLT is straight ass
>>
>>1979930
I flew in to LCY a few years ago on a flight from Dublin and I went from my seat to the DLR platform in only a few minutes which was pretty nice
The satellite terminal at KUL was pretty good
>>
>>1979974
i unironically came to post flughafen tegel. best airport in the world
>>
SFO is fucking goated.
>>
>>1979930
i like Oslo.
>>
>>1979930
You can gamble in Vegas and they have a good BBQ place.
>>
>>1979930
Lesser passenger airports. Manassas Regional back when Colgan were still going, but now my favorite is either KMLB or KVRB, both tropical airports which are pretty quiet.
>>
Hong Kong. It's a good airport and it being on it's own little island is cool. The approach via plane is also has a nice view imo.

>>1979974
Hast du lack gesoffen?
>>
As long as it's not:
>a hub
>any NYC airport
>LAX
>O'Hare
Then it's usually fine or mediocre at worst.
>>
currently splitting my time between AUS and PWM, both pleasant small airports easy to get in and out of. very nice. although AUS is a lot more crowded than it used to be and significantly over capacity. still, pretty convenient and nice. maybe there'll even be a train out there within two or three decades.
>>
Zurich is the nicest I've been to. 10/10 would fly back into.
>>
>>1979930
ATL was fine even if busy ass hell previously, but with current nonsense post covid its absolutely abhorrent. Over an hour to check your bag, security all fucked even with 9000 TSA retards.
>>
>>1980791
I like Gardermoen too. Last flight I had there was a very beautiful slightly foggy morning, taking off over the trees with some things from the 7/11, sat next to 10/10 Bavarians who had gone on one of those really long treks, made friends with them too.
>>
>>1980912
the new LGA isn't that bad. I can think of many that are worse. CDG, MNL, NRT, MCI, AUH, RNO
>>
>>1981237
oh how could I forget ORY. somehow even bleaker than CDG, just smaller
>>
>>1980912
Please add Orlando MCO to your list.
>>
>>1980713

Security wait times of a small city airport with all of the destinations you'd expect from a major international one.
>>
palm beach international
>>
>>1979930
Vienna International Airport, Terminal 3. Fast security, clear gate numeration and a can of Ottakringer beer at Heyneman for 2.99 € (yeah it's piss but they serve that same piss at gate F09 for 6.50 €).
>>
File: L_height.jpg (68 KB, 500x375)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1982243
Terminal 3 sucks compared to terminal 1. Better stores/restaurants and no ridiculous long walks along a single line. It's a pity that Austrian uses T3 now.
>>
>>1980713
Especially flying overseas, you basically waltz into the international terminal right off the freeway and walk past checkin and security to your gate in 15 minutes tops. I don't even have tsa pre or anything like that. Flying back from CDG is intense.
>>
>>1979930
AMS is okay, if you're flying domestic or discount.

>>1980014
LCY is fun but shit on departure.
>>
>>1982249
I used T1 when airberlin/Niki was still around. Yes, it was better. But I haven't been there since AB went out of business (which will be 7 years in 2024, Boy I am old ffs)
>>
CGK in Jakarta is super underrated. beautiful airport with a lot of investment poured into it by the corrupt Indonesian government
>>
>>1980007
Agreed on dtw. Unremarkable but big and quiet, with plenty of actual tables
>>
>>1981239
ORY looks like ass, is full of nafris and has a pretty shitty layout with a lot of choke points but it's comfy as fuck due to the "open" roof deck on the last floor of terminal 4 (formerly South).
Not sure if it's still a thing but 10 years ago I flew on the early Air Berlin TXL-ORY flights (which were dirt cheap) quite frequently and when arriving at Orly around 7 having barely slept, there was nothing comfier that making my way up there and having a coffee and a smoke while watching planes before going to baggage claim, which would typically start a few minutes later.
Also has a few completely desert corridors and balconies and a soulful little people mover.
>>
>>1980713
> SFO is fucking goated.

SFO is good to fly out from - I don't know how they manage it, but the security lines have usually been very fast, and puts you directly into the concourse without having to walk for miles. However, international arrival into SFO is extremely depressing - long walks through soulless beige hallways with harsh fluorescent lighting. I don't know why they don't make it at least a tiny bit more cheerful.

And I concur with fpbp -- Changi is one of the most engaging airports to arrive in or to transit through. Bright, cheerful, decorated with orchids and lots of free amenities, as well as airport staff that actually can answer questions. They also don't charge you $5-$10 for a fucking luggage cart like the American airports do. Carts are free, well maintained and can actually fit large suitcases.
>>
I’m flying through Kansas City’s new international airport on March 29th. Will take some pictures.
>>
>>1981112
Maximum comfy. Story: when Air Berlin still existed, they were late into Zurich and drove me through the terminal in a golf cart to make my next flight. No idea what I did to deserve such service.
>>
>>1985265
Lot of natural light there. Not bad.
>>
File: 133176.jpg (126 KB, 1000x500)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1979930
Vilnius, because it felt like a train station. Very cute and comfie.
>>
File: kmart games.png (687 KB, 642x481)
687 KB
687 KB PNG
I think I have a directory of Pittsburgh International Airport because it was actually designed to work as a retail concourse without price-gouging people (of course after 9/11 you couldn't access it anymore without a ticket).

Pic unrelated. (Sorry, no airport Kmarts).
>>
>>1979930
Never had a problem with DTW
>>
File: 2560px-Tampa_Intl_Oct2022.jpg (1.54 MB, 2560x1920)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>1979930
TPA is easily the best airport down here in Florida.
>MIA
Shit parking and shitty outdated gates if you're not flying American, plus godawful gate and TSA staff
>FLL
Too small and cramped
>MCO
Shit parking that's always full and too full because of all the tourists coming and going to Disney, TSA is the worst out of all of these
>JAX
Route selection sucks compared to the others listed
>>
does the airport count as pleasurable if the pleasure comes from watching other passengers who have never flown out of john wayne airport before shit their pants?

>5700 foot runway
>freeways on both ends prevent expansion
>757s can just squeeze in
>surprise! noise abatement departure pattern you have to follow too
>get onto runway and throttle up before rolling
>25 degree pitch on takeoff
>followed by immediate pullback of engines at 500 feet
>and immediate 30 degree left turn to stay in the corridor

good times knowing you're about to go on a rocket launch
>>
File: ltn.jpg (165 KB, 598x598)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1981237
Even old LGA was a lot better than some Europe low-cost only airports
>>
>>1986074
Based TPA appreciator
best airport in America
DTW is best hub but I don't mind ATL either. Just need to make sure you have at least 90 min layover when planning flights
>>
File: FZpK8xRDupY2xzZuyTUJ.jpg (184 KB, 800x550)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>ctrl+f "DCA"
>0 results

DCA is a very pleasant airport to deal with. The only shame is having to contend with Dulles when I want to go international. But, rich transit access, good facilities, and minutes from DC proper. Great airport.
>>
Any small one where you can safely arrive less than an hour before departure.

>>1985809
based, wasn't the only one to think it has train station vibes
>>
>>1979930
i really don't mind seatac
detroit is big gay tho
>>
>>1981239
>>1983720
Really? The times I went to ORY, it was crazy small for the traffic. I prefer CDG despite some crazy architecture and signage that may confuse first-timers. Still better than some "big hubs" in other parts of the world, both of them.
>>1986262
This. Those are like those medium-sized to small city airports that will make you walk through the tarmac. But somehow with all the soul stripped from them.
>>
File: KCI_Great_Hall_1.jpg (3.66 MB, 4032x3024)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
Sorry for the delay in uploading my KCI pics. Apparently where I was staying in England was rangebanned.
Went through the KCI departure process on March 22, a Friday at 4pm. No traffic getting to the drop-off curb.
Said curb is just outside the left side of picrel. Picrel is the main hall of the airport. Security and bag checking are to the right. As you can see, its only about 40 yards from the curb to security. I got through security in under five minutes, which was nice and gave me tons of time on the other side to take more pictures.
>>
File: KCI_Great_Hall_2.jpg (3.84 MB, 4032x3024)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB JPG
Picrel is from the same spot as >>1988717 but in the opposite direction.
>>
File: KCI_Atrium_A.jpg (3.64 MB, 4032x3024)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>1988718
On just the other side of security is the atrium for concourse A. I had three beers here for $24. Otherwise a nice experience.
>>
File: KCI_LEGO_Store.jpg (3.56 MB, 3024x4032)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>1988719
There's a LEGO store in Atrium A, which I thought was kinda funny. Just thinking about fathers and uncles coming through the airport and getting last minute birthday presents for kids.
>>
File: KCI_Bridge_1.jpg (2.54 MB, 4032x3024)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>1988720
Here's a look at Concourse B from A, with a view down the exterior of the "bridge".
>>
File: KCI_Concourse_Exterior.jpg (3.53 MB, 4032x3024)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>1988722
Same spot, different angle. The concourses aren't that long, since the airport isn't that big, so it's never a long walk to get anywhere.
>>
File: KCI_Bridge_2.jpg (2.88 MB, 4032x3024)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>1988723
Here's look down the "bridge". Halfway down the bridge is an observation point where you can sit and watch plane movements, as well as read some displays on local history. Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas have some extremely bloody and contentious Civil War history, so I was surprised to see that they included it. You can see where the observation point is on >>1988722
>>
File: KCI_Atrium_B.jpg (3.64 MB, 4032x3024)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>1988725
Atrium B was pretty much the same as Atrium A, with the fountain replaced by hanging planes made from Jazz instruments, reflecting KC's history of jazz music. Forgot to mention the fountain sculpture in Atrium A. KC likes to constantly brag that it has the 2nd most fountains of any city in the world, behind only Rome. Our new flag is even a fountain.
>>
File: KCI_Ceiling.jpg (3.61 MB, 4032x3024)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB JPG
>>1988727
Like a previous Anon mentioned, KCI has tons of great natural light, with all of the ceilings being this calming and comforting wood paneling.
>>
File: KCI_Mosaic.jpg (3.73 MB, 4032x3024)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
>>1988731
The floor design is mostly a repeat of the old KCI, which was nice. They even saved some of the floor mosaics and brought them over to the new airport.
>>
File: KCI_Overhead.jpg (265 KB, 1600x1066)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>1988733
I didn't take this picture, but it gives a great overview of the airport, and you can see the old terminals in the background.
My final thoughts are that I loved the airport. It's not bigger than it needs to be, only really needing to serve people flying into and out of Kansas City.
Much better than the design of the old KCI, which was a disaster for reasons I can't get into.
>>
>>1988720
Legos are already expensive, I wonder how much more they are in an airport

>>1988733
I the plan to move everyone into the new terminal and tear down the old ones?
>>
File: IMG_5032.jpg (397 KB, 828x482)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>1980791
>>1981229

>check departure board
>planes leaves from gate B10

Osl bros I dont feel so good
>>
File: IMG_4950.jpg (3.67 MB, 4032x3024)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
>>1988737
>Is the plan to move everything into the new terminal and tear down the old ones?
Yes. Everything has already been moved to the new terminal and the old ones have been permanently shut. This has actually resulted in a reduction in the overall number of gates.
>>
>>1988717
>>1988735
>>1988751
>KCI
It's MCI, how can you be shilling the airport this hard and not even know its abbreviation!?
Also RIP the old terminals, I thought they were comfy...
>>
>>1988768
I'm a native, and EVERYONE calls it KCI. I know the actual code is MCI, but fuck it. Call it what it is.
>>
I'd say my hometown of vancouver if air canada wasn't the carrier you have to interact with. otherwise it's got perfect transit, good layout, good design.
>>
>>1981229
Gardermoen is fine, but as Nordic airports go it's not as nice as CPH or HEL in my opinion.
I guess this is only a problem if you're flying to smaller Norwegian airports, but transferring in OSL to domestic means you have to pick up your luggage, check it back in and go though airport security again. That's the main reason why I try to avoid it whenever possible.
>>
>>1988741
Better than D6
>>
>>1979930
I was surprised how nice LaGuardia was. Obviously connections to the city are ass but the airport itself is 10/10 compared to the alternatives.
>>
>>1990696
I love how after you go through security at the new terminal, you get shunted through a NYC gift shop. It just so perfectly encapsulates the spirit of NYC. The last thing as you leave the city is one last attempt to take money from you while jerking off about how TOTALLY GREAT OMG BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG CITY 8M STORIES.
>>
>>1990698
Just about any international airport in a place that has heavy tourism forces you to walk through the mini mall thing on the way to the gates. It only seems extreme at LGA because the curved path through the mall rubs it in your face that you're taking an indirect route, whereas at other airports you can tell yourself "oh those shops just happen to be here, in this long straight section where coincidentally there are no gates just shops for 1/4 mile that everyone has to pass through"
>>
>>1990720
You're right about the curved path being grating, but it's also that the whole thing is just another one of those "I <3 N Y" shops that there are a million of in Manhattan. Most of those airport mini-malls aren't exclusively [this place] T-shirts and snow globes
>>
i recently tallied and I have been to over 200 airports on each continent (yes, including antarctica, though those stretch the definition of "airport")...here are the ones that really stand out..

>Tegel
Iconic in every way. I understand why she had to go, but that doesn't mean I'm not still pissed she's gone.
>JFK
It is always kind of momentous arriving here, especially from overseas. No other port of entry has the same weight.
>ORD
Scale beyond belief. It feels like the crossroads of the world. It's not convenient, but nowhere comes close to matching the spectacle.
>WLG
Extremely beautiful setting and always a memorable descent. Bonus points to all NZ airports for having no security on their Dash-8 or ATR flights.
>Kangerlussuaq
Cold War vibes that are off the charts. The whole town exists for the airport, and the airport exists to support all Greenland. It will really be sad when Nuuk opens up to big jets later this year, Kanger is really an event.
>Rothera
Arguably the most beautiful place in the world. Seriously. Bonus points for always coming in on a Dash-7 too.
>>
>Chek Lap Kok
Trash airport. Takes forever to taxi. Host airline has completely gone the tubes from one of the world's best to basically lame as fuck. Nothing remotely special about the airport itself, the fact that this soulless vapid dump replaced Kai Tak of all things is tragic. 2/10
>Changi
maybe its just me, but I don't get the hype. some parts of it are kinda pretty? I guess it looks better in photos. its a pretty average airport desu. nothing special. and im overall a pretty big fan of singapore itself and particularly singapore airlines
>SFO
pretty good, never feels too busy which is nice
>MCI
I loved the old one for its quirky vibe, I'm sure the new one is soulless
>>
>>1979930
Seoul-Incheon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.