[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: YM-WITNESS.jpg (164 KB, 1280x960)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
WITNESS ME Edition

Previous: >>1962890

US Mariners: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1lxDKFTLO4x771l06T9y331XYhlc6TqYj-hfhl91iXXU/edit?pli=1
UK Mariners: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yjRTjwJRkW_wYqis7E-c9U0xTQZWLXbsP--2qgYKUdM/edit
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 165397875811.jpg (984 KB, 1280x1280)
984 KB
984 KB JPG
>>1985995
will he be promoteD?
>>
where did you guys get your physical and drug test for mmc application? the place near my house said they only do dot physical :(
>>
File: 1710713058844107.gif (2.33 MB, 640x612)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB GIF
>>1986006
Approximately the damage is about 40 million dollars so I guess yes!
>>
>>1986008
i called around and explained my situation and form requirements and eventually found a doctor that was familiar. pick up the phone, get to calling not much else you can do the resources arent there to just google an answer
>>
Anyone have any hourhi pooll closed kino?
>>
What should I do if I have an unrelated degree and looking to change to this career? I'm open to anything
SIU is a year and debt free and it seems like ABs will always be in demand. I'm partial to getting started sooner rather than going through years of school
I'm not sure how realistic hawespiping is maybe someone can speak to that
Becoming an officer would be 3 years and ~100k in debt but less grunt work and better pay. I've read where 3rd mates sometimes struggle getting their first gig. If I got a great lakes pilot license that seems like it would help in that aspect
Engine work seems enjoyable I like working on machines but I'd like to be outside I feel like that would be better for my soul
>>
>>1986268
msc up to 8 weeks of training and up to 4 weeks of waiting for any entry level and youre out to sea. they have an ab to mate program where they pay for and send you to a essentially a cram school for a 2 year commitment contract
>>
>>1986272
So I would be working as an OS after those 12 weeks then could become an AB after I get the sea time?
I've read nothing but bad things about msc. Have you worked with them? How easy is it to join a union after become a AB or is it better not to?
>>
>>1986322
get all the government docs you need, apply, wait, get a date for NEO and the next 8 weeks is training. wait around 4 weeks to get picked up by a ship and start your sea time, watch time, and getting sign offs to reach ab requirements. you can join the union while in training its like $20/month or something.

ill be in the pool for msc next week. its bottom of the barrel hoodrats that cant even read that comprise 90% of the people at training. theyll all get fired for uniform, attitude, or unwillingness to work within 12 months from what ive been told by multiple instructors. the 8 weeks feel like a complete waste of time, it can all be reduced to around 4 weeks honestly.

the instructors like me because im educated, prior military, play their game and rules, (seriously you cant imagine how many idiots get fired over a beanie and uniform protocol) and white so they let me know after a few weeks that training is essentially meant to filter out people that wont hack it on a ship. for the record ive never sailed anything but since i am prior army i understand what its like to be gone from friends and family for an extended amount of time with no internet access. this will be a major reason for a lot of people to quit.

my understanding to get ab from os you need to get watch time done as well as certain assignments written off by an authorized officer and then your sea time begins to take into account for what you need to reach ab. pass some silly test in training (if you arent a retard you will) and all your watch and sea time requirements are cut in half: 120 days watch and like 180 sea time. from my understanding watch time is the biggest hurdle and if your chief mate is okay with it on your off time you can do watch but wont get paid for it but will get the time/days for it. its worth it as ab is a flat $30k base salary increase from os with the exact same job responsibilities.

i choose msc for the federal pension since i already have time toward it.
>>
>>1985995
pretty cool, the ship moved the crane like it was nothing. what are the chances that the ship suffered structural damage, enough to put it out of comission, because it doesnt look like it took too much a hit to me.
>>
>>1986268
i dont know personally, but I've heard that engine work is gross, at least at first and at least if you're not educated. I know a guy that is, and they still make him do all kinds of dangerous stuff, put him in the various garbage tanks, he constantly inhales hidrocarbon fumes and shit. deck work might not get paid as well but at least you'll reach your 70 with more or less the same number of arms and legs you started out with
>>
>>1985995
goddammit my off brand wireless earbuds better not have been in that container
>>
>>1986008
Got mine done at an occupational health clinic but had to explain multiple times that no I am not joining the coast guard
>>
>>1986417
Third engineers deal with more literal shit than anyone, same with going into tanks, everyone inhales fumes. Deck work is stupid and gay and youll get sliced in half by a line and wreck your knees from needlegunning everyday.
>>
>>1986417
Maritime work in general is very bad for your health. The lack of sleep, long hours and general stress levels do a number on your body. If unlicensed both deck and engine work is pretty physical and entails climbing and crawling around in tight spaces compartments, hauling heavy shit and repetitive movements.
Large quantities of food are available every day and it’s usually not very healthy. You don’t normally have control over what is made available unless your company lets you or your crew do the food order or cook for yourself. There’s also usually unlimited candy, soda, chips and ice cream for snacks.
Unless you make a very concentrated effort to eat healthy at sea you will get fat.
Big ships may have a gym or fitness center and will at least be large enough to allow you to go on long walks around the ship for exercise but smaller vessels won’t have that capability.

Deck or engine you need to have a plan to get licensed ASAP so you can escape most of the grunt work. The higher your position onboard the better your watch schedule is as far as the time of day. Captains and chief engineers stand a day watch and get to sleep at night so they escape the circadian rhythm destroying night watch which over time will fuck with your hormones and flood you with cortisol.

I haven’t had to stand night watch in 4 years but I still can’t get to sleep before 0300.

Old men who are still working deck are the most fucked up people at sea, health wise.
>>
>>1986416
From OP's image I can tell it's just a scratch for the vessel. I don't think there's a single frame that needed to be fixed or changed.
>>
I've been thinking a lot about going on long contracts and working seasonally or just some odd jobs when I'm ashore, but for some reason I feel stuck in my country

should I just start selling stuff in my apartment to make the eventual transition easier?
>>
File: Francis Key Bridge.png (1.21 MB, 1539x859)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
Bad day at the office.
>>
File: 1711438386090215.webm (2.45 MB, 1280x720)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB WEBM
This raises the bar 0_0
>>
>>1987448
this is amazing. how does something like this even happen
>>
REPORTS OF A *SECOND* SHIP HEADING TOWARDS THE BRIDGE
>>
>>1987449
a boat hit it
>>
>>1987464
>>1987449
There's footage of the ship on approach from that same webcam, and 5 minutes before impact the ship blacks out twice. I bet you fucking anything they shut off the bow thruster and either forgot to tell the engine room or the the engineers didn't shut off the second generator in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a7h3kkgPg
>>
>>1987449
I went through the stream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a7h3kkgPg) and took timestamps
1:24:30 ship power off
1:25:30 ship power on
1:25:40 thick smoke coming from funnel
1:25:50 ship turning sharply to starboard?
1:26:37 ship power off again
1:27:10 ship power on
1:28:00 ship turning to port?
1:28:43 ship impacts pier
1:28:49 bridge collapses
1:28:50 ship power off
>>
File: Gsn2kl282127.jpg (217 KB, 1221x1833)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>1987449
Boat had right of way.
Bridge had bad seamanship, ignored nautical law, prudence, and common sense, maybe a malfunction somewhere in there, and paid the price.
>>
TOTAL PILOTNIGGER DEATH
>>
File: 1685855472258975.jpg (265 KB, 1164x827)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
Do you have a list of must-have books for marine engineers?
>>
>>1987446
god i wish that were me
>>
>>1987468
Didn't notice the balckout, but i did notice that black smoke. clearly is a sign of serious shit going on onboard
>>
>>1985994
>that fat fuck waddling for his life
real adrenaline powerhouse rush there huh
>>
>>1987450
What bridge lol
>>
Reading normgroids talk about this is topkek

>Uh like why didn't they just put down the anchor bro?????????
>>
File: IMG_2209.jpg (61 KB, 589x1278)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>tfw your funko pops you ordered from Amazon are gonna be late now
>>
File: 1710777016080819.png (5 KB, 214x236)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>1987448
>>1987446
Nothing good has ever happened or will happen in Baltimore.
>>
How many tow boats were attached to the ship when it crashed? Why didnt they steer the ship right?
>>
>>1987449
1. All Indian crew who didnt properly maintain the ship to black out
2. Maryland port commissioner is a DEI consultant

https://x.com/brockdiaries/status/1772527424841859118?s=46&t=1dj39gjTF3IwT2fqqQrBuQ
https://x.com/rusticales/status/1772616021842538982?s=46&t=1dj39gjTF3IwT2fqqQrBuQ
>>
>>1987608
**caused the ship to blackout
>>
>>1987608
>https://x.com/rusticales/status/1772616021842538982?s=46&t=1dj39gjTF3IwT2fqqQrBuQ
Kill yourself, redditor.
>>
>>1987612
evergrande was also caused by an all indian crew btw
>>
>>1987615
>evergrande
What?
>>
>>1987608
>>1987615
Hey little redditor, obviously you dont work in this industry. So you should fuck off back to wherever you came from.
>>
File: IMG_8541.jpg (195 KB, 1048x1292)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>1987617
I meant evergreen
whatever
the suez blockage
>>
>>1987620
I dont its true
but it doesnt take a genius to realise the the power going out and losing control of steering wasnt caused by the pilot
>>
>>1987490
>>1987603
heh
>>1987467
>I bet you fucking anything they shut off the bow thruster and either forgot to tell the engine room or the the engineers didn't shut off the second generator in time.
Can someone explain what on earth this guy was trying to say?
>>1987620
>pic
kek
>>1987621
Ever Given, buddy...
>>
>>1987621
>>1987625
How about just kill yourself. You're not contributing anything here. You're just making yourself look really stupid.
>>
>>1987630
I accept your concession
>>
File: IMG_8539.jpg (49 KB, 608x341)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1987630
Ramesh, please
maybe you should choose a line of work more suited to your proclivities
>>
Little redditor replied twice he's so mad.
>>
How fucked will the traffic in Baltimore be because of this? I’ve heard from news that trucks cannot use the Baltimore harbour tunnel, and are prohibited from using the inner city highways for chemical transport.
This seems to be a major deal on top of the port being blocked and the massive cleanup.
>>
>>1987663
I don't think the container ports being blocked is a huge issue since there's Norfolk and New Jersey as well, but I don't know. I don't know how important the car terminal is.
>>
>>1987490
I would have simply braced square the main yard and hoven to, perhaps deploying a drogue.

>>1987628
I think he means to say that she lost electrics on account of the donkeyman, probably tanked up.
>>
>>1987672
Makes sense. Thanks!
>>
>>1987666
New Jersey is already a traffic nightmare, adding this kind of volume to it would annihilate it. Every Mercedes runs through that car terminal and who knows how many other cars, it's very important. Going to take them quite a while to clean that shit up too while they buck pass over who pays.
>>
>>1987679
Biden announced today that they're going to pay for the cleanup and reconstruction of the bridge because they want to expedite this and minimize the economic impact. Baltimore handled $80 billion in cargo last year, they're not going to just wait on this.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-pledges-federal-dollars-entire-230957833.html
>>
>>1987628
>Can someone explain what on earth this guy was trying to say?
A guess on what happened to the power plant.
>>
>>1987706
>>1987628
And if you don't know what the fuck generator load sharing is, what the fuck are you doing in the MARITIME GENERAL? Go back ashore or get back to the galley, faggot.

>>1987608
>2. Maryland port commissioner is a DEI consultant
Good for her. How does that have any bearing whatsofuckingever on a ship blacking out under pilotage outbound from the port? Did she activate her Diversity Beam™ on the Singaporean ship crewed by Indians and make them have a spontaneous Privilege-Off or something? Are you going to try to claim that Maryland Pilots aren't like 95% White and a massive old boys club?

Go the fuck back to /pol/ already.
>>
File: IMG_8548.jpg (110 KB, 1051x660)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>1987707
>How does that have any bearing
actually it turns out to have had direct bearing because just a week ago the port of baltimore released a video for womens history month to promote getting women into piloting the bull dyke in that video happens to be the pilot who was piloting the ship when it crashed
heres the video https://youtu.be/gtO0Dtq0_LM?feature=shared

a sheboon with absolutely zero regard for keeping the port safe whos entire goal is to promote shuttling niggers and women into the industry regardless of merit is just one manifestation of a larger trend that manifests in planes falling out of the sky and going forward, ship collisions

maybe this instance was not directly caused by her and the pilot but if you dont see a direct link between increasing incidents of freak accidents like these and incompetent third worlders, niggers, and women occupying positions theyre not qualified for, then you are the deluded one here
>>
File: niggerologist.jpg (91 KB, 575x776)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1987711
>FUCKING SHEBOON WITH ZERO REGARD FOR PORT SAFETY MADE THE BRIDGE COLLAPSE BECAUSE SHE LET A WOMAN BECOME A PILOT!
>well maybe they're not at fault this time BUT FUCKING FEMOIDS NEED TO GET OUT OF THE FUCKING MEN'S WORLD

Please, oh Great /pol/ack of the Sea, tell me. What else was the pilot supposed to do? If that IS the pilot, which we don't know because they're keeping their IDs tightly guarded because the pilot who hit the Sunshine Skyway Bridge got death threats for years...they still did everything right you fucking retarded faggot. They had a blackout approaching a bridge with either wind or crosscurrent pushing it to starboard. They put the rudder hard over, they let go the port anchor to try and slow the ship down and adjust its course to port, and they immediately made a mayday call to stop traffic on the bridge. What more could the pilot have done, master mariner?

The "sheboon with absolutely zero regard for keeping the port safe" also doesn't have any fucking say on who the Maryland Pilots Association takes on as a pilot. Literally zero say, pilots associations are basically fucking guilds. If you can't hack it, they don't let you in, and they can find ways to make sure you don't get in.

You don't know jack fucking shit about which you speak, /pol/ack. Your infographs don't actually impart detailed knowledge about shit you don't know.
>>
>>1987711
That bulldyke made it to unlimited tonnage masters back in the fucking 90s before any of this poz shit happened. You have no idea how difficult that kind of rating is even now, let alone back then as a women. She has more sailing knowledge and ability in her little finger than you ever will, despite being a female, what does that say about you tourist?
>>
>>1987717
Nta but stop simping
>>
>>1987717
Not just that, she did it in under ten years. That's motivated even for now. Most of the diversity mates flame out without ever sailing as second mate, let alone doing enough time as Chief Mate to make captain.

>>1987719
It's called professional respect, anon. I'll happily sail with a cigar-chomping bulldyke who had to fight for all of her respect over the average screamer boomer captain any day of the fucking week.
>>
>>1987711
I gaurantee you this dude blames the El Faro capsizing on the female 3rd Mate despite her advocating against sailing into the storm in the days preceding the disaster.
>>
>>1987721
>It's called professional respect, anon.
You're going way past that
>>
File: pools closed.jpg (63 KB, 860x667)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1987707
>>1987714
>>1987717
Holy fucking Reddit
>HURRR actually the Patton-Oswalt-With-a-Vagina Pilot that kamikazied her 100,000 ton ship into a bridge is a better sailor than any man around
>Kind of like how pic related just happened to be the most competent candidate for mayor of Baltimore...
>So anyway uh y-yeah, ships demolishing entire highway bridges is normal, that's always happened...
>>
>>1987730
Go back
>>
>>1987730
>So anyway uh y-yeah, ships demolishing entire highway bridges is normal, that's always happened...

Yes it has you fucking moron. You gonna blame these on women, too? It's not normal, but it has happened. Ships are not trains,and sometimes when making an approach on a bridge shit goes wrong. You'd know this if you didn't get spoonfed your entire worldview by grifters.

I notice you never actually answered my question about what else could be done by the pilot, but I know why. Because you're a fucking board tourist come over from /pol/ and has never actually worked on ships in his pathetic life.
>>
>>1987707
>Mommyyy, what does PMS mean??
Please do expose your own retardation some more, retard. Have you been promoted to wiper yet?
>>
File: 1711303030746813.png (51 KB, 645x770)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
While it is fun to see yet another evangelical tourist poltard and his infographic stash get blown the fuck out you really should just report them not reply.
>>
>>1987730
>power goes out on a ship
>lose all rudder control
>Harbormaster quickly calls to port authority to shut down the FSK bridge
>power turns back on, then off again, then on again
>basically incapable of steering or power control
>Crashes into bridge, collapsing it
>This is somehow the fault of the Harbormaster, the Dem mayor, and any person my retarded Daily Wire podcast host doesn't like
If you lack critical thinking skills to realize the fault here is with Maersk and the captain for not addressing a known power issue, then there's no hope for you.
>>
>>1987736
It happens when someone screws up, for example, by not maintaining the ship such that it loses power, and none of the safety systems that are now in place that didn't use to be can do anything about it. Ships with GPS and digital computer assisted navigation crashing into bridges is not normal.
Im not him and i'm not blaming the pilot, but the crew or whoever was supposed to be maintaining or inspecting the ship definitely screwed up here.
>>
>>1987779
>If you lack critical thinking skills to realize the fault here is with Maersk
The ironing.
>>1987780
Could be purely operational as well. Personally glad I've never been on a ship with a third-world Captain or CE.
>>
>>1987779
To be fair, it is the fault of both the shipping company cheaping out on hiring useless cunts and their useless workers being unable to maintain vital equipment and (very likely) falsifying inspections and tests. Captain and bridge crew are blame free as they aren't expected to personally inspect ranjeets hydraulic work, they pretty much have to take reports on faith from their poojeet in charge of whatever equipment. If the captain knew in advance that poojeet engineering was causing issues then yeah, but I haven't seen that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a7h3kkgPg
oofta...
>>
>>1987785
LOL
The Captain knows damn well what the fuck is going on on his ship. If he doesn't it's his own fucking fault. If shit is bad, everyone on the ship is well aware. And everyone onboard was Indian btw.
>>
>>1987780
It honestly depends. Sometimes your engine just decides "Fuck you, you're getting combustion in a part of the block that isn't supposed to have any". It could be a Maersk-charter ship gundecking everything because they have a budget the size of a tomato, it could be human error fucking up something in the engine at the worst time, or it could be a total freak accident. We won't know for sure for months while the NTSB does their investigation and writes their report, and I guarantee they're already on-board that ship pouring over the engine since it'll be weeks before they're free.
>>
File: 1711555435670092.jpg (148 KB, 1024x683)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
I haven't noticed this before but the vessel trimmed ahead by the weight of the debris on the forecastle. Quite an interesting sight.
>>
File: IMG_20221226_181417.jpg (1.21 MB, 3264x2448)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>1987730
Get the fuck out kiddo this is a specialist thread, take your laughing stock ideas and never come back.
>>
>Hi Sal; As a former Navy officer (subs), I seem to remember that the stern of a single shaft vessel will walk to the left when you go astern on the shaft. That tells me that when they lost power, got it back and went full astern, the stern walked left adding to the turn toward the bridge. They could have gone hard left on the rudder, but the thrust astern would nullify the effect of the rudder. So, 20/20 hindsight tells me they should not have gone all astern and focused on steering back into the channel, but in the heat of the moment went panicked and went full stern. The same response on the Titanic caused a wider turn and the impact with the Iceberg.
Makes sense. Either this, or it was a Russian revenge for the mass shooting.
>>
>>1987845
Steel is heavy
>>
>Sal got a short segment on fox
neat
>>
That turn straight toward the pillar is odd to me. SOLAS requires a rudder to be powered by emergency generator in case of blackout, so they should have control.
>>
>>1987859
maybe if you read the thread you will have a better idea of what happened
otherwise I would recommend that you post things like this on random youtube videos
>>
>>1987862
People here told me that democrats and diversity hires are responsible for this accident.
>>
>>1987863
yes?
>>
>>1987865
So that's the better idea?
>>
>>1987867
yes?
>>
>>1987868
Ok, thanks
>>
File: apu.jpg (110 KB, 1242x847)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Guys guys guys, settle down. Russians, pol/posters, Ben Shapiro, blacks with dubious qualifications, 5ft tall Rosie O'Donnell lookalike pilots.... What if the real culprit was under our noses all along.... What if the real culprit... was Indian people
>>
>>1987872
If you luck out the "harbor master" they had on board will turn out to be some sort of female, gay, or ethnic minority or perhaps jewish, maybe even more than one of these
>>
>>1987875
You're scaring me, please stop
>>
File: 1706724542195077.jpg (44 KB, 611x676)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
These kind of things (black out) occur. Happened to me twice both because of blownout turbocharger. Once right after the exit lock at Antwerp the other is out bound river passenge from Bordeaux. First one we dropped anchors immediately and nothing serious happened at Bordeaux yet again swiftly dropped anchor but alas tidal stream carried us and smack the vessel right on the bank of the river we're luck local pilot direct the ship to sandy banks rather than rough bottom after high tide we grounded there for 6 hours discharged ballast and freed with the next tide. The thing with Dali is wrong place wrong time. Que sera sera.
>>
File: newfags guide.png (721 KB, 1510x1600)
721 KB
721 KB PNG
Just wanted to remind everyone that "Trolling outside of /b/" and "Flooding" are both reportable
>>
>>1987887
I saw a post on the gCaptain forums that speculates that they'll start requiring tugs when maneuvering around bridges, seems reasonable considering the potential damage.
>>
File: bridge (1).webm (2.43 MB, 576x576)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB WEBM
>>1987889
Definitely possible, if expensive. Course, bridges aren't cheap either. Upgrading fender/dolphin systems around bridge supports probably a good idea too.

>>1987888
Thank you for the reminder, anon. Have you considered joining r/maritime?
>>
>>1987903
>Upgrading fender/dolphin systems around bridge supports probably a good idea too.

I don't think there is any system on the planet that will stop a loaded 8k TEU moving at 8 knots. The inertia behind it is retarded.
>>
File: Skyway_Bridge_old_and_new.jpg (531 KB, 1920x1400)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
>>1987909
must be better than nothing
>>
>>1987845
according to Baltimore authorities the bow is touching the riverbed.
>>
Posted last thread, got a job on a day cruise boat and I figure for want of nothing better to do to eventually better my circumstances I might as well stick with it seeing as I accrue sea time whenever I work. Not that it's worth much but the company is putting me through my Coxswain's ticket.

Same firm runs a nature/adventure focussed small boat cruise line so that could be an option if I get some international tickets, but also have any of you worked on the yacht circuit? With both of these I imagine being an officer is beneficial for a bit of distance from the passengers, but any thoughts?
>>
>>1987909
another one on a big carrier style catapult that gets launched at the out of control ship in the event of an emergency
>>
>>1987909
>I don't think there is any system on the planet that will stop a loaded 8k TEU moving at 8 knots.
As an admitted idiot who has heard friends (IRL) make the point that the lack of installation of elephants was evidence of willful negligence due to ignoring their mitigating impact:
Can you provide me links to resources so I can actually calculate the benefits of the elephants, both for myself and my friends?

I know I'm arguing with people who want there to be a bogeyman, but I'm in a position where I cannot disprove them with my current understanding, and your word is only more convincing for its conventionality.
>>
>>1987988
Ship itself is over 100k tons empty, without counting cargo weight. That's a fuckload of momentum that such a system has to stop. Also, I will point out that there were dolphins in place to protect the bridge, they were just undersized and completely inadequate for the task. The ship didn't hit them at all. You can compare to the adjacent power line, with it's much larger dolphin system. I dont think that would have stopped the ship in time either, if hypothetically it had hit the power line tower instead of the bridge footing.
>>
>>1988011
Thanks for the thoughtful response
>>
>>1988011
The structures around the power lines look like breakwaters, the interior is just bay water. I don't know what their strength is in comparison to the dolphins protecting the bridge, but I can't imagine they would fare any better against a vessel of that mass.
>>
>>1987988
Photo for comparison. The little white circles a good distance from the bridge are the dolphins that protect the bridge pylons. Compare to photos of the current Tampa Skyway bridge. As for why the protective infrastructure is so inadequate in Baltimore (and for most other major bridges near ports in the US, not kidding, San Diego-Coronado bridge doesn't have them and neither does the Arthur Ravenel Bridge in Charleston), the vast majority of people and politicians in the country don't interact with merchant shipping in any way. DOTMARAD, the maritime equivalent of the FAA, has 800 employees compared to the FAA's 45k, despite maritime shipping have a much higher impact on our economy and much more impact if something goes wrong.

>>1988016
The two closest to the shipping channel do both. Notice how the ones farther from the channel have much less of a barrier between them and potential ships.
>>
File: 20240328_093324.jpg (52 KB, 960x640)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1988023
Woops, forgot photo
>>
File: bmore.png (1.06 MB, 1010x667)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>1988023
>The two closest to the shipping channel do both.
The most reliable way to stop a moving mass is with mass acting against it, which is why the dolphins for the Sunshine Skyway are so large and completely filled in with solid material. The interiors of those pylon structures are hollow and open to the harbor. That leads me to believe that their main function is to act as breakwaters to mitigate the wakes of passing ships on the pylon base itself, and as an added benefit they provide some impact protection from smaller vessels.
>>
>>1988040
Yeah that pylon is standing on narrow stilts, that's all just the nautical equivalent of the chain fencing around a substation.
>>
>>1988071
Anon, so are the dolphins protecting the bridge. That's all a dolphin is. A bunch of pilings driven into the river bed, maybe capped by reinforced concrete. Your pic is going to be more than adequate to stop anything other than a major commercial vessel. The wire tower is relatively cheap to replace compared to the expense of protecting it from a commercial vessel.

What you're thinking a dolphin is is the actual artificial islands that some bridge pylons stand on. Those are not dolphins.
>>
>>1988109
>That's all a dolphin is. A bunch of pilings driven into the river bed, maybe capped by reinforced concrete.
Not always, the large circular ones (like the ones the Skyway in Florida have) are made with steel sheet piling and filled with solid material their entire height above the bed.
>>
I'd just like to say I started the First Maritime General. And funny enough, I'm from Baltimore. Happy sailing.
>>
>>1988157
>And funny enough, I'm from Baltimore

My condolences
>>
>>1987973
Wtf is a cock swane. Are you the guy who lives in the bilge?
>>
>>1987973
I don't know what you do now, but if you're white and an officer I don't think it's too hard to get a yacht job. Didn't seem too attractive to me because too much time away and some tax stuff compared to a locally registered ship, so I didn't really look into it, but some people took that route. Probably don't want to be on a chartered one though.
>>
>>1988157
Is this (you)
>>
>>1988171
>>1988321
Kek. I'm almost heartbroken that the bridge isn't there anymore. And it sure was amazing to drive over it. RIP.
>>
>>1988203
just entry level deckie/hospo/tour guide stuff
haven't been in it long enough to get any formal marine training but I don't want to make the mistake of being stuck in a job treading water again, want to be looking forward to options later
Still young enough that doing yacht work seasonally might be decent

>>1988191
near coastal small boat ticket

>>1987973
work also runs a small ship cruise line rather, 120 pax, not sure I'm cut out for the level of customer service cruise lines demand but the customers on that line seem decent, it's got more of a nature/natural history focus, and I'd aim to get some international tickets and more experience prior so I could slot into a less intensely customer service oriented role
>>
File: 1633556264415.jpg (44 KB, 475x619)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
How common is it to use Fresh water as ballast?
>>
>>1987887
Why didnt your EDG kick on so you atleast had steering?
>>
>>1988542
Depends. Some companies only use fresh water to preserve their ballast tanks.
>>
MSC ship USNS Button towed into Mobile after "major" engine room fire
https://www.wkrg.com/mobile-county/cargo-ship-that-caught-fire-towed-into-port-of-mobile/
>>
I just realized - imagine how much old rotten forgotten shit in the port they'll be able to clean out.
>>
I'm looking to join the International Seafarer's Union but I need to write an essay and have two letters of recommendation but I'm hearing it's optional now. Is that true? It still lists them on their website and I imagine it probably helps in getting accepted, I have no issue writing an essay but I have no idea who to ask to recommend me that isn't family.
>>
Any leafs frequent these threads?
Trying to navigate the bureaucratic hell up here just to scrape paint off the side of a boat is mind numbing.
I'm trying to just get an entry level position on any floating vessel anywhere in the country and its been 2 months of hurry up and wait every step of the way.
So far I've got a valid passport, criminal record check, marine medical examination, and contacted the SIU to join but I'm still waiting to hear back to finalize things on account of my contact over there taking a week off from his email job.
I just need a discharge book from transport Canada and I think I'm good to go

Any info from fellow leaf anons would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1988815
You won't *really* need them. Fill them out anyways just to show admissions that you're capable of following basic written instructions because ever since they restructured the program they've been denying people left and right who caught whiff that the program is now way shorter than it was before and that you actually go straight out from phase 1 to phase 2 on a real union scale job instead of making like $5/day as an apprentice
>>
Are Tidewater really as bad as the folks on g-captain make them out to be? I heard they occasionally fund DP courses. I'm international if it makes any difference.
>>
FUCK THIS INDUSTRY ID RATHER BE POOR (now that ive made enough money to have it compound into a decent retirement over the next 20 years).
>>
File: 123122.jpg (4 KB, 198x118)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
this is at the top right corner of the mmc application from the nmc website. is it expired or can i use it?
>>
>>1989616
It's still valid
>>
>>1985990
How hard up is SIU for unlicensed Deck apprentices?
I have my port interview with them, what should i expect from it?
>>
Never knew i'd find something like this on here. I'm a maritime electrician, now working for Fugro (more legs on solid ground yay). Thankfully the illusive cargo ship that wrecked a certain bridge didn't have Fugro systems on board.

My counsin works for Maersk, can confirm they are cheap af
>>
Surely no US company tests for psychedelics right? Has anyone here passed a drug test after taking one?
>>
>>1989824
dont do drugs
>>
>>1989824
Anon, I literally don't eat poppy seed bagels anymore. I take zero chances of pissing hot, not when a single failed drug test is immediate grounds for the Coast Guard to pull your MMC.
>>
>>1989787
Im a maritime electrician too, what kind of work do you do and how is the pay?
>>
hi, I'm an autist with no social prospects or interest in pursuing college. Would maritime be good work for me? I was originally thinking about becoming an oil-field trucker but I just discovered the maritime community. Is there much room for growth and pay for someone without a degree? I was a mechanic in the Army and like working with my hands.
>>
>>1989968
welcome aboard, wiper
>>
>>1989968
yet another confirmation that this general it's just a not so much elaborate ruse by big ship to recruit medium iq autistic neets
>>
>>1989982
>big ship
the consensus I'm picking up from skimming is that the maritime industry is heavily unionized
>>
>>1989983
it is. and thats a good thing (for now).
>>
>>1989983
Makes getting a job easy to get, and keeps wages up. Compare/contrast union ships with non-union, and the union ships have better working arrangements and pay.
>but they both still suck
And they're still better than non-union. The best union ships blow them all out of the water. Keystone now has the best tanker contracts in the US flag by a large margin.
>>
>>1989946
I was employed as a marine electrical officer on vessels up until 2019, work consisted of general maintenance and installations on whatever vessel i was on at the time. Pay was dependant on my days on board, but i averaged around $140 000 a year or so.

Then i switched to working for Fugro who produces navigational equipment on larger vessels. Now i usually travel to do installations and/or comissioning in docks around the world, sometimes i also join for the seatrial. Pay is around the same. Base is $80 000 with added benefits for my travel days. I don't have turnus though, i have an office job for most days and enjoy about 80-100 travel days per year.
>>
>>1989968
You’ll be a good fit. There’s some similarities with the military in that you have zero control over anything and you can’t escape from the situation once you’ve left the dock. You’ll have a watch/duty schedule and you’ll do the same things at the same time every day and meals are provided.

Advancement opportunities are very good if you’re motivated and at least average intelligence and able to navigate the USCG bureaucracy. You can start as a wiper and a license that will earn you $100k in 4 years, though that’ll be limited tonnage (tugboats etc) a few more years and you can get 3rd assistant engineer unlimited, but the STCW stuff is a pain in the ass to hawsepipe.

You definitely want to be union.
>>
File: sylvester jitters.gif (413 KB, 400x328)
413 KB
413 KB GIF
Redpill me on smoking. Will it help cope with the stress of 6&6?
>>
>>1990674
I don't think so. Strangely enough eating lavishly help combat fatigue.

At the 36th hour of tank cleaning me and the boys stuffing our faces with food AHH feels so good.
>>
finally got my first assignment. time to start making money
>>
>>1990674
Quitting and finding a better job would help more
>>
i found out that im colorblind. will i be denied the medical certificate because of this? can a colorblind person work in maritime?
>>
>>1990981
It really really depends how colorblind you are. Check your licensing agency's website, they'll have the required medical tests you'll need to do for colorblindness. I can say as an American that colorblindness is about the only thing you cannot get a waiver for from the Coast Guard; it's a straight up medical pass/fail.
>>
>>1991029
yeah i only get like 2 numbers right out of all the color dot panels
>>
my ship assignment was cancelled because whoever i was going to replace decided to extend :)
>>
>>1991072
That might make it impossible to get a medical certificate.
>>
>>1985990
Anyone working as an engineer on Yachts?
Working offshore right now myself but if they dont extend my contract im looking to switch up
>>
Took a bus the other day take a bus through Baltimore. Was cool to see what's left in the distance. Gotta time your shots though, a lot of buildings cover the highway before the 95 tunnel.
>>
>>1985990
I have my port interview with Seafarers International later this month, what are some pointers i need to know before the interview?
>Not a felon
>And not a drug addict
I've heard that the test is the hardest part but is there anything else i might get blindsided by?
>>
>>1990981
Im afraid it will stop you from working on a ship.
In italy is like this at least. Check your country rules.
>>
>>1991439
I haven’t worked on them but I looked into it when I saw an interesting opening on a mega yacht. Pay is lower than offshore. Much of the time is just spent at the dock when the owners aren’t using the vessel but then you can be randomly called out when they want to go for a little cruise. Didn’t really seem worth it for me but if you don’t have major financial obligations then it would probably be an interesting experience for a while.
>>
ffuuuuuuuuukk I have to sail to Hawaii for work and be paid handsomely to do so.
pic unrelated
>>
>>1991446
>take a bus through Baltimore
Fuck the busses in Baltimore/Dundalk. Retarded female drivers that don't even fucking know where they're going. The drug addicts were actually more helpful.
>>
>>1991648
Ive basically saved up a years salary and have close to zero financial obligations so i dont care too much about the money.
Sounds cool to go to these super touristic places and if the owner/guests are cunts i can hide in the engine room. Also hoping on having a hot steward to bang on the owners bed when he isnt around lol.
My current company is basically perfect so i feel like i will not enjoy another in the same industry
>>
>>1991991
We are truly in a terrible work enviroment. Absolutely elder horror tier. If god only allowed me to sit in an office for 9 hours, stuck in traffic for 2 so i can have 2 days to do house work :)
>>1991996
Anons first mistake was being anywhere near baltimore
>>
>>1992099
You're an engineer, right? With a license? Get ready to get treated like a servant instead of an officer.
>>
>>1992127
Sure am licensed. You have some experience getting treated that way?
>>
>>1992159
I've worked with people who've done yachts before. Unless you're the captain, and you know the owner like a friend, you're going to be treated like servant because that's what those kinds of people are used to dealing with as employees. You're just another servant that caters to their whims, and they don't give a shit beyond your ability to do that.
>>
>>1992258
>you're going to be treated like servant
And how's that different from any other company?
>>
File: full.png (388 KB, 800x600)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
>>1990981
Most likely you're done for but that's good.
>>
>SIU STILL requires the clotshot
Would it just be more worthwhile to get the three year degree from a maritime academy since I already have a bachelor's? That's 85 grand (closest one is Great Lakes) but I just finished paying off my student loans and going through all that again would be a headache.
>>
Assigned to my first ship and been here four days. I've been told by 15+ people if I am serious about getting AB to put in a ship to ship request so I did yesterday. We'll be in port except for maybe a month until January. Hopefully it goes through quick!
>>
>>1992703
Fuck the SIU. Any reason you're not considering hawespiping? I was in your shoes (held bachelors) and there was no chance in hell I was going back to school for another four year degree. Bonus: you quickly learn if this line of work is even for you. I think a fair amount of people get the expensive academy degree, finally start working, and then quit. My two cents.
>>
>>1992720
I've considered it. I'm not a stranger to hard work; hell I hated working in finance and did some electrical work for a local utility completely green for a while and was at least recognized by managers to not be a retard and be given more intricate work. I'm 29 and just kind of aimless right now. How was your hawespiping experience?
>>
>>1992723
>How was your hawespiping experience?
Been ok, I sailed AB on tugs for like six years, but that's because I was being a dickhead and not taking advancement seriously. Sailing mate now. Most of the younger mates probably make in the 500s/day, some 600s. In the long run you can probably make more money as an academy grad, but I liked learning my trade from the bottom up. Definitely not for a lot of people but worked for me. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that option.
>>
>>1992732
Yeah I've heard of the option when browsing through these threads occasionally but haven't read too many experiences from other posters. I appreciate your insight anon, it's probably the best option since I'd rather not be fully obligated via loans/apprenticeships before giving the job a try.
>>
>>1992708
It’s not going through LOL enjoy your subtender or epf faggot
>>
I dont know shit about ships but I had a random thought
surely the shipping volume in the atlantic is larger than the pacific right?
theres more population and its a lot denser
>>
going for my first apprenticeship in the engine room this summer and I've had no former experience there, is my best bet to hope for patient engineers?
>>
>>1992860
Your best bet is being active, listening to others and showing that you're willing to learn.

Also, socialize with the crew after work. Don't stay in your cabin.
>>
>>1992860
Where are you from?
>>
>>1992849
what? no. Far East is where all the consumer crap industry is, so there's more traffic of shit coming from China and going to the Americas/Europe.
>>
>>1992772
OS aren't allowed on epf and I'm on a TAO.
>>
>>1992860
>engineers
>patient
Lol, lmao even
Heres how to survive ER as an apprentice:
>dont be a smartass
>take advice to heart
>show interest by asking questions (at the appropriate time)
>"hey Anon i saw you do X in the Y way, why like this"
>if they explain something write it down in a notebook
>grab tools and shit before they even ask
>DONT BE A SMARTASS
Good luck if you have the stressed out engineers who yell at you for everything and anything. Theyre assholes and dont mind them too much.
>>
>>1993044
>>1992860
Don't touch clipboards unless you're told to. ESPECIALLY don't move them unless you're told to.
>>
does SIU still require you to take a covid vaccine in order for you to begin training?
>>
>>1993514
this anon >>1992703 just told us that they do. you could also... call them on the telephone and confirm for us.
Plenty of private companies don't require it.
>>
Greenhorns afraid of a gelatin and aluminum shot but think they wanna go work on a benzene tanker going around thirdie terrorist ports. newfags in this industry are so gay and soft, this job is only for you as long as you’re willing to die for money/status, hope you realize that.
>>
>>1993566
rats, gotta wait till monday in order to reach out then. I'm on my last legs financially so I may finally get it if it comes down to it. Hoping I get MSC to respond fairly quickly

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.