[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1711612666866720.png (799 KB, 2000x2000)
799 KB
799 KB PNG
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/baltimore-dei-mayor-criticism-brandon-scott_n_6604e6ebe4b03f25dbfd765f

Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott (D) responded to some of the bizarre criticisms coming from conservatives following the cargo ship-induced collapse of the city’s Francis Scott Key Bridge early Tuesday morning by saying the term DEI—when applied derogatorily to him—means “duly elected incumbent.”

On MSNBC’s The Reid Out, host Joy Reid prefaced her interview with Scott, who is Black, by calling attention to a tweet describing Scott as “Baltimore’s DEI mayor.” That post, which references the acronym that stands for diversity, equity and inclusion, has generated more than 25 million views, along with a clarifying community note on Twitter.

“I cannot believe I have to say this,” Reid began. “Brandon Scott was elected with 70 percent of the vote in 2020 in a city that is 61 percent Black. So by right-wing logic, a ‘diversity hire’ would have been a white man.”

Reid then asked Scott if he wanted to address the “tomfoolery” of those attacking him “for having the nerve to be Black and also a mayor.” He obliged.

“I know, and we all know, and you know very well that Black men and young Black men in particular have been the bogeyman for those who are racist and think that only straight, wealthy white men should have a say in anything,” Scott said. “We’ve been the bogeyman for them since the first day they brought us to this country. And what they mean by DEI, in my opinion, is Duly Elected Incumbent.”

Scott easily won Baltimore’s mayoral race four years ago, with the next closest candidate, an independent, acquiring just 20 percent of the vote. In the Democratic primary earlier that year, Scott had edged out the city’s scandal-plagued former mayor, Sheila Dixon. Scott is running for re-election in November, while Dixon is again mounting a bid.

Scott added that for his critics, ‘DEI’ is a euphemism.
>>
“We know what they want to say, but they don’t have the courage to say the n-word,” he told Reid.

“And the fact that I don’t believe in their untruthful and wrong ideology, and I am very proud of my heritage and who I am and where I come from, scares them,” he added. “Because me being at my position means that their way of thinking, their way of life—being comfortable… while everyone else suffers—is going to be at risk, and they should be afraid because that’s my purpose in life.”

While some conservatives are complaining about DEI and how “anti-white business practices” may have caused the accident, others—like Fox Business Network host and MAGA supporter Maria Bartiromo—have actually tried to inexplicably link the deadly bridge collapse to things as varied as “the wide-open border” and COVID lockdowns.

DEI has become a frequent target for right-wing attacks in recent years including in Florida, which has banned the use of state and federal funds for DEI programs at public colleges, and Texas.

Others such as Florida congressional candidate Anthony Sabatini declared “DEI did this” in response to the collapse while Utah Rep. Phil Lyman, a GOP gubernatorial candidate in the state, took aim at Maryland port commissioner Karenthia A. Barber, the first Black woman to hold the title.

“This is what happens when you have Governors who prioritize diversity over the wellbeing and security of citizens,” wrote Lyman, who later posted that “DEI=DIE.”

Lyman told The Salt Lake Tribune that the post was “not our best moment” and described it as a “knee-jerk reaction to some of the things others were putting out there,” adding that someone on his team made the comments without his approval.

Lyman’s posts are still online as of early Thursday morning.
>>
DEI= Didn't Earn It
>>
Republicans once again reminding the world of how dumb they can be
>>
>>1282513
So winning with 70% means Mayor Scott didn't earn his position?
Man, Republicans are racist and petty.
>>
>>1282513
But didn't it mean 'duly elected incumbent'? Right wing can't meme
>>
>>1282527
They're still seething over Obama
>>
>>1282513
Im sure DEI stands for Dale Earnhardt Inc??
>>
DEI is just this years CRT
Meaningless, easy to remember jargon used to fire up the retarded Republican base without making them think too hard
At this point three letters is about the peak amount of information the average Republican voter can retain
>>
>>1282550
You're retarded.
>>
>>1282552
He's right.
>>
>>1282496
The left cannot meme
>>
>>1282527
>>1282533
You realize with the extension we can see you samefagging, right?
>>
>>1282550
>Noooo it's not real
Then why are you crying about how you'll all lose your jobs without getting a leg up for being brown and gay?
>>
>>1282603
What are you talking about?
>>
>>1282616
The NPCs short-circuit when they have to give the buzzword from their latest update more than two seconds worth of thought.
This typically leads to hysterical non-sequesters like the one to which you responded.
>>
Are communists going to convince Democrats they're intelligent if they ask for the definition of things again?
I can see the upcoming squall of "Define DEI" posts littering the Internet like feces on a street in India.
>>
>>1282601
Either your extension is broken or you're too dumb to use it: https://files.catbox.moe/l86sbu.png
>>
>>1282496
leftists are so shit at writing jokes and comebacks i fell asleep.
>>
>>1282626
>Asking me to explain the buzzword I'm mindlessly squawking like a parrot is a communist plot
Lol
>>
>>1282616
>>1282620
Bro at least try to be less obvious samefagging while you gaslight.
>>
>>1282659
>I have no argument because I can't comprehend or articulate concepts more complex than whatever talking point the RNC gave me, so I'll just accuse you of samefagging
Truly pathetic
>>
>>1282631
>Inspect Element
Oof
>>
>>1282667
And now projection too? Come on and do something original.
>>
>>1282674
>And now projection too?
Aw look. It's gotten so angry and desperate it's using multi syllable words it doesn't understand.
You'd almost feel bad for it if you didn't know what a disgusting creature it was.
>>
>>1282644
Get back to us when you can decide what DEI is and how you can be racist about it.
>>
>>1282673
That's a screenshot from kuroba...
>>
>>1282496
The only reason people are making fun of him is because he let that bridge get destroyed
Seeing him act tough after such idiocy is embarrassing
>>
>>1282705
>The only reason people are making fun of him is because he let that bridge get destroyed
You're right. He should've gone out there and challenged that cargo ship to a fist fight.
>>
>>1282706
He shouldn't have acted like a street thug after US infrastructure was attacked.
>>
>>1282550
The greatest three letters coined by the Democants is KKK. Eat shit racist.
>>
>>1282709
can you say black lives matter?
>>
>>1282708
>boat accidentally hits bridge
>"THE US HAS BEEN ATTACKED!!!"
You're a strange critter
>>
>>1282710
No but i can sure say that i love fucking your mother.
>>
>>1282706
Fuck yeah he should have. We need more people that are willing to throw down the gauntlet, attempt to go the distance and bare knuckle box a mother fucking boat. My respect for anyone willing to throw down to boat-town will increase astronomically. You'd all be lying through your god damn teeth if you say that wouldn't be fascinating to watch.
>>
>>1282710
All lives matter, except yours.
>>
>>1282721
thanks for being the racist we all knew you were
>>
>>1282715
His mother is a great fuck.
>>
>>1282724
Dont forget about her blowjobs. Absolutely memorizing. She can suck start a harley or take the chrome finish off a trailer hitch i tell ya.
>>
>>1282724
>>1282730
black people have way better your mama jokes too
>>
>>1282731
But I am black.
>>
>>1282736
dravidian doesn't count
>>
>>1282738
I go shit in street now. Do not redeem.
>>
>>1282705
>because he let that bridge get destroyed
>It's the Mayor's fault the a ship lost control and crashed into a bridge.
So this is the delusion Republicans have come up with.

Also a reminder it's Republicans blocking getting the bridge repaired, why are Republicans committing treason, yet again?
>>
>>1282747
Was the shipping company not insured?
>>
>>1282762
You want to bankrupt a company and put all those hard working Americans out of work?
Terrorist talk.
>>
>>1282496
Lol, now it's racist to use their own bullshit against them. What a laugh.
>>
>>1282780
Are you shocked? Republicans are the party of racists.
>>
>>1282816
>Checks history
>Appears Democrats were the KKK
Holy shit! Did everyone else know this?
Why isn't this taught in school?
>>
>>1282818
How do you feel about Derek chauvin
>>
>>1282820
>A Chinaman, a Mexican and a white guy kneel on a black guy.
>Black guy dies of a drug overdose.
>The white guy goes to prison
I've heard funnier jokes with better punchlines.
>>
>>1282821
It's even better when you realize the people who called the police on the black were arabs or Indians or something.
Multiracial paradise appears. Blacks are still inflicting "socioeconomic factors" on their neighborhoods.
>>
>>1282818
Is that why Republicans are the racist snow? Funny.
>>
>>1282821
You forgot the bit where Saint Floyd was dancing around a shop with a banana in his hand prior to swallowing his fentanyl.

I hate living in a timeline where racism is borderline prophetic.
>>
>>1282829
It's still Democrats. They've just changed their target.
>>
>>1282831
Nope, it's republicans who are the racists. You need to stop coping.
>>
>>1282821
>/pol/ STILL coping over a white cop murdering a black guy and actually being held accountable over it.
>>
>>1282821
lying faggot racist exposes himself again, nobody is surprised
>>
>>1282833
Really? Wasn't it democrats who said black people were too stupid to find the DMV to get an ID to vote?
>>
>>1282936
you said that because you're a dumb racist, no one else did
>>
>>1282937
Nah, Democrats literally claimed that black people don't know how to obtain, and cannot afford IDs and this amounted to voter suppression.
Everyone remembers it. You can't just "no u" it away like an idiot.
>>
>>1282936
You mean Republicans racist voter suppression laws and closing down almost all the DMVs in black districts in a clearly racist move?
>>
>>1282981
Nah. It was complaints about ID.
Just because you didn't realize what you were saying doesn't mean you didn't say it.
One day when you have a 'Who'll clean the toilets if we don't let illegals into the country' moment, you may understand.
>>
>>1282982
insufferable faggot
>>
>>1282979
>Nah, Democrats literally claimed that black people don't know how to obtain, and cannot afford IDs and this amounted to voter suppression.

Well, no. What the federal appeals court said when they struck down North Carolina's proposed voter ID laws is that "Although the new provisions target African Americans with almost surgical precision, they constitute inapt remedies for the problems assertedly justifying them and, in fact, impose cures for problems that did not exist" and that “We can only conclude that the North Carolina General Assembly enacted the challenged provisions of the law with discriminatory intent.”

They specifically looked up which kinds of IDs and voting methods that black people used and then attempted to specifically get rid of those kinds of IDs and voting methods. To repeat, the federal appeals court stated that the North Carolina general assembly target black voters with "surgical precision". Their words, not mine. Nice gaslighting attempt though.
>>
>>1282992
The 2018 law accepted as valid student and tribal identification cards that the 2013 law excluded, made free IDs available at driver’s license and election offices and permitted voters who still lacked a photo identification to cast a provisional ballot.
The only way this could be considered "surgical precision targeting of black people" is if you believed that black people lacked the mental capacity to get an ID.
>>
>>1282998
why don't you join the kkk about it
>>
>>1282998
>The only way this could be considered "surgical precision targeting of black people" is if you believed that black people lacked the mental capacity to get an ID.
So, the thing is I'm going to take the word of the federal appeals court who actually adjudicated and poured over the evidence for this trial and not you, a random uneducated jackass on 4chan with zero training or education in the law.

A further retort to your argument is that a person's ability to procure a specific ID or to vote at a certain time has nothing to do with whether or not the limitations you put on their ability to vote are discriminatory. If I make it a requirement that any Chinese person has to do 1 jumping jack in order to vote the ease of doing a jumping jack is irrelevant - the only thing legally relevant is what the justification is for putting that extra burden on them. In the case of North Carolina, they found no justification. They also found that the changes were made specifically to the methods that African Americans voted and the types of IDs they used for the sole purpose of making it more difficult for them to vote. "Discrimination with surgical precision". Their words. Cope, CHUD. Learn how to shill your talking points better because you're really bad at this.
>>
>>1283001
>I'm going to take the word of the federal appeals court who actually adjudicated and poured over the evidence for this trial and not you
Bold of you to assume that the courts are infallible and incorruptible after Roe v Wade, but go off.
>If I make it a requirement that any Chinese person has to do 1 jumping jack in order to vote the ease of doing a jumping jack is irrelevant - the only thing legally relevant is what the justification is for putting that extra burden on them.
If we take your retarded argument to its logical conclusion, then anything that requires a state ID would qualify as racist, because obtaining an ID in and of itself has already been determined to be burdensome by the courts. Which applies to other civil rights gun ownership and driving a car.
>>
>>1283007
>Bold of you to assume that the courts are infallible and incorruptible after Roe v Wade, but go off.
My assumption is that judges who have spent their lives learning and adjudicating legal cases know more than you, a random chud with zero training or education on the law. Aside all of that, even if you knew anything about the law, which you don't, you haven't provided a legal argument for why all of these federal judges are wrong and you're right. You just got BTFO'd on your dogshit talking point and your response to the federal appeals court decision was "nuh uh!".

>If we take your retarded argument to its logical conclusion, then anything that requires a state ID would qualify as racist
If you take my argument to its logical conclusion then anything that requires one race of people to do that you don't require other races to do without any sort of legal justification then it is racist. Surgically targeting one race of people and using legislation to make it harder only for them to vote with absolutely zero legal justification is called discrimination - which is what the federal appeals court found. Cope. Seethe. Repeat.
>>
>>1283000
I'm not a Democrat.
>>
>>1283013
>My assumption is that judges who have spent their lives learning and adjudicating legal cases know more than you
Yet Democrat shill judges are overruled in higher courts constantly.
Interesting that you have faith in such people.
>>
>>1283016
>Yet Democrat shill judges are overruled in higher courts constantly.
So post an overruling. Post any legal analysis by any judge or legal expert explaining or arguing why these federal appeals judges were wrong. Go ahead. I'll wait.

>Interesting that you have faith in such people.
Infinitely more faith in them than you, a random dipshit with zero education in the law and uses "oh muh democrats conspiracy reeee" as an excuse every time one of your talking points gets BTFO'd.
>>
>>1283016
Can't even get a motherfucker to praise Jesus, but they have no problem with faith in a jewish judge.
>>
>>1283019
The supreme court refused to hear the case the federal appeals court made concerning the North Carolina ruling, leaving the ruling intact. Is the supreme court all jewish too?
>>
>>1283025
Remember: you hate the supreme court and advocate for packing it with jews who will ignore the Constitution.
>>
>>1283027
>Massive pivot
>Pathetic strawman
>No argument
I accept your concession. Thanks for the conversation.
>>
>>1283030
There's no pivot here shill-kun.
There's no strawman schizo-senpai
Your trash deserves ridicule, not an argument. If you believe you're actually clever, you're wrong.
>>
>>1282982
>IDs
Which you can only get at DMVs which Republicans shut down in the predominantly black areas. Very racist of them
>>
>>1282496
Leave it to Merican's to turn a boat crash into a political & race motivated event. Dear America, the world is laughing at you.
>>
>>1283066
That's just the conservatives, they'll politicize anything to claw themselves into power.
>>
>>1283066
>Bunch of poopoos destroy a bridge
>It's not relevant the poopoos fail at everything and Indian education is a scam leaving inbred pootpooters wildly unprepared for the skilled roles they're routinely imported for
Interesting.
>>
>>1283079
>https://www.wionews.com/world/indians-among-top-earners-in-us-surpass-other-asian-groups-report-553585
>In the latest census done in August 2022, the average household earning of Indians in the US stands at $123,700, which is far higher than other immigrants, PTI news agency reported.
>The survey also stated that Indians constitute 79 per cent of college graduates, surpassing the overall American population in terms of wealth and college education.

Womp womp
>>
>>1283104
Amazing what access to indoor plumbing does
>>
>>1283104
>Womp womp
What's there to "womp womp" here?
>>
>>1282496
You'd think these homosexuals would be focused on the bridge right now instead of their obsession with screeching about Christian White Nationalists
>>
>>1283158
Well those christofascists are in control of part of the government. In fact one of them is blocking the bridge from being rebuilt now.
>>
>>1283180
So what are Democrats trying to put in the bill this time to delay it passing?
>>
>>1283186
It's just MAGA being MAGA, and their usual working against American interests.
https://www.rawstory.com/ultimate-absurdity/
>>
>>1283188
>rawstory
I asked a serious question and you provide bullshit?
Democrats routinely put unreasonable shit in bills, then have their urinalist buddies complain.
>>
>>1282497
>We know what they want to say, but they don’t have the courage to say the n-word
Sounds like he doesn't have the courage to say it.
>>
>>1283192
>Can't refute the facts
>Attack the source
Typical.
>>
>>1282552
Look who's fucking talking. If Trump put up a side $10 to lick my ass you'd go for it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.