[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Autobahn.jpg (708 KB, 2400x1600)
708 KB
708 KB JPG
To all non-germans: how do you cope with the fact that you can't legally drive your car at its top speed on highways?
What is the fun in owning a high hp car and only being able to enjoy its acceleration for a few seconds before having to be paranoid that you are stopped for speeding or reckless driving?
>>
I simply break the law.
>>
>>27583775
Do you use equipment to detect police?
What will happen when you get stopped going 30 over?
>>
By having turns and laughing at the idea of TUV
>>
>>27583765
>cope with the fact that you can't legally
Well since I am not german, I don't have the autism that forces you to literally follow orders to the letter.
>>
>>27583765
>having to be paranoid that you are stopped for speeding or reckless driving?
Can easily happen in G*rmany too
>>
>>27583782
I've been driving 20 years. I drive 15mph over normally, hit 100 nearly every day, and do top-speed runs every few months in the 130s. My last car I'd take to 175mph on streets in the daytime. I once kept a Smart ForTwo at 1mph under fuel cut (~97mph) for a full half hour just because.
There just aren't that many cops where I live, and zero speed cameras. I haven't gotten a ticket in 10 years. I just keep my eyes far ahead.
>>
With this one simple trick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU
>>
>>27583802
>Can easily happen in G*rmany too
You can't be stopped for speeding in areas without a speed limit as long as you pay attention to all other traffic regulations.
Theres a guy that drove his bugatti at top speed (250mph) and it was completely legal
>>
>>27583765
>how do you cope with the fact that you can't legally drive your car at its top speed on highways?
No inspections and the freedom to drive whatever dilapidated shitbox I want.

What the fuck is the point of no speed limits when you are forced to drive 70hp shitboxes (if you're lucky enough to even own a vehicle)?
>>
>>27583765
Same way I cope with not being able to pirate media legally.
>>
>>27583794
>TUV
Explain what is bad about ensuring that José can't drive his rusted shitbox truck with failing brakes on the same street as you
>>
>>27583837
>when you are forced to drive 70hp shitboxes
Didn't ask you then
>>
>>27583826
Are you trying to imply that the entire country does not have any speed limits? Last I checked it was roughly 50% of the top-level highway network.
Everywhere else they will get your ass for anything. The Germans are probably the lousiest drivers abroad because almost everywhere in Yurop the police is less anal than in their home country.
>>
>>27583846
>t.wrenchlet bootlicker
>>
>>27583856
>in areas without a speed limit
Reading comprehension of a 5 year old.
>>
File: c9a3c22d2b13124.jpg (64 KB, 571x540)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>27583765
On the PA turnpike near the capitol I do go damn near top speed. It's kinda boring, so I cruise at 72~82 most of the time.
>>
>>27583862
Then do something about it. Go attend some courses or get better medication. I mean,
>In G*rnany
is not equal to
>on roughly 50% of the Autobahn network
>>
>>27583765
You know the average North American highway is moving faster than the unrestricted bits of the Autobahn right?
>>
>>27583765
If you live in the UK the M40 is the place to be. You can easily do 100-120 with little fear of repercussions. Just watch out for potential speed camera vans on overhead bridges and cruising police vehicles.
>>
>>27583869
Its much higher than 50%.
70% of it has no speed limit which goes down to 56% in case you count areas that have a temporary one because of construction.
It still stands that there is no general speed limit but you can cope all you want.
>>
>>27583874
I go 120mph on my daily commute down Autobahn 31.
At that speed I'd be dead or in jail within 15 minutes in the US.
>>
>>27583846
Because opposite happens too and your project is trapped in autistic bureaucracy like not having TUV stampings on your parts because they weren't meant to be sold in the EU market (it could be Penske coilovers or parts from a American company) OR engine swaps needing a engineering certification OR old cars still being forced to pass emissions

TUV is fucking gay and a perfect example of German bureaucratic autism
>>
>>27583919
Still not the entire road network. The Autobahn is not even the entire highway network in Germany, and that point is something you've decided to completely ignore, focusing on some number instead, again ignoring the word "roughly". I suggest that you pay a visit to your doctor to get better medication, that might really help you with your issues.
>>
>>27583946
factually incorrect, i regularly go 125mph in my prius on toll roads and have waved at multiple policemen who just nodded back
>>
>>27583946
Hell yeah. I'd love to drive on the Autobahn one day.
>>
>>27583956
Tell me where so I can join in on the fun
>>
>>27583969
just don't be a dumb squid
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/07/14/drag-racing-bikers-busted-for-using-lbj-freeway-as-a-speedway-dallas-police-say/
>>
>>27583954
Quit arguing retarded semantics. The thread is called "Autobahn" which has no general enforced speed limit. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's not possible to drive those speeds 24/7 due to traffic, temporary construction and unsafe areas.
>>
>>27583949
Valid points and all of them hurt high end enthusiasts making modifications impossible or much more expensive, but for each one of those 50 retards in shitboxes are kept off the street so its a worthwhile trade in my book.
>>
>>27583998
not to say that TUV should be changed with easier certification on parts and rebuilds and modern emission standards are total cancer that kill our hobby on all ends wheter its fleet emission standards making most new cars shit or emission testing on builds
>>
>>27583983
Stop being hypocritical then.
>The thread is called "Autobahn"
yet you speak of highways in general in the very first line.
>which has no general enforced speed limit
Lies again. It does have permanent speed limits and temporary ones in fucking roughly 50% of its length. Every other highway and smaller road in Germany does have them also, so the
>non-germans
you're talking to are not very different from the G*rms in this regard. However, most countries do not enforce their traffic law as strict as G*rms, and you received several replies from different anons hinting at that.
>>
File: 1698159001983840.jpg (153 KB, 1024x691)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>27583765
We have draconian speeding laws in Oz. I have cars that are fun at or below the speed limit. Also there aren't any autobahn style roads here. Recently went for a ride in this supercharged Benz. Just short blasts and never got anywhere near the cars top speed potential, but the noise and the feels made it special. Just happy that we have choices.
>>
>>27583805
Cool story grandpa
>>
>>27584008
You seem to be to only one that doesn't get the point of the thread and has been butthurt since their first reply so I'll quit arguing with you.
All of your criticism is based on autistic semantics on one hand and lackluster reading comprehension on the other.
>>
>>27584037
>and has been butthurt since their first reply
Which one would be that, I wonder.
>>
>>27584010
no possibility to go outback buttfuck nowhere and push it? Sounds like a blast anyway
>>
>>27583765
the Autobahn is a fucking Joke and realistically 30% Baustelle at any point in time.

if you want to drive fast go over to Poland.

t. german
>>
>>27583765
>how do you cope with the fact that you can't legally drive your car at its top speed on highways?

I set Cruise control to 120kmh
>>
>>27583765
by not driving a 3cyl 1.0 cuckbox
>>
>>27583949
>it could be Penske coilovers or parts from a American company
yeah, sure, COULD be
but more people would buy THE cheapest potmetal parts straight from China to install on their rusted through dumpster if they could get away with it
I have zero confidence in people doing the right thing unless McGestapo forces them to
>>
>>27584990
It's easy for cheap shit to get TUV certification because it's mass produced than good stuff because it has lower margins and usually smaller companies building it that don't care about the German market. A company in US/UK/Japan/Australia has zero interest in certifying their parts for TUV half the time because its extra time and effort for a relatively small market (same reason why a lot of them skip CARB in California for intake and exhaust parts...and even then I bet the market is compare to Germany's)

And Poland is across the border anyways, it's not like you don't share your roads with Eastern Europeans.
>>
>>27584983
did american without freedom to drive fast get sad by german freedom :(, sorry sweety
>>
File: 1114544281145633.jpg (50 KB, 873x447)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>27583765
The majority of the autobahn is restricted, rarely to 130 km/h but often to ridiculously low speed limits of 100 km/h, 80 km/h, even 60 km/h, enforced by shitloads of speed cameras. Using Waze is illegal on the threat of harsh fines btw. 30 km long construction zones that take 15 years to complete because Germany is a failed state.
Of course, 50% of the road network does not equal to 50% of road journeys, since most of the unrestricted bits are of course in rural areas that few cars travel through. So right off the bat, the vast majority of the time a German finds himself on the Autobahn he will have to follow a speed limit. Because of this, average journey times across several hundreds of km usually aren't any higher than in countries where you can just set the cruise control to 130 km/h and forget about it.

So what does that leave you with? Well, you could travel an hour or more to get to a bit that is actually unrestricted and low traffic for long enough so you can actually reach the top speed of your car. Of course you don't need to be German to do that, you could live in any of the multitude of countries bordering Germany with a much higher quality of life and do the same thing.
Btw., did you know in Germany people can and will take photos of your car being parked incorrectly for a minute or some other irrelevant minor shit and then denounce you to the authorities with 2 clicks on some specialized Stasi app? I am not making this up.
>>
Accelerating>speeding
>>
>>27584059
Plenty desu if you live in a rural area but the road quality is often horrendous
>>
File: 2019 Statista.png (60 KB, 809x617)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>27585060
>The majority of the autobahn is restricted
factually wrong!
>>
>>27585126
>no source
>no labels
>some shady website
>>
>>27585189
the source is literally in the image, but here, maybe the official website of the german Federal Foreign Office is more convincing.
https://www.deutschland.de/en/topic/life/germany-and-the-autobahn-speed-limits-and-reality
>>
>>27585214
>still no source provided
>>
>>27585214
>the source is literally in the image
Where?
>the official website of the german Federal Foreign Office
How about something like the Ministry of Transportation if you have one? Foreign offices usually deal with other countries, not with own road networks.
>>
>>27585231
you could just look for yourself, but the numbers used come from an Evaluation by the Federal Highway Research Institute of Germany
>>
>>27585242
>asked for the source of his claims
>"you could just look for yourself"
>>
>>27585244
Yes, because I provided the sources in the images already and you just want to keep shitposting instead of fact checking yourself if my claims are right.
>>
>>27585249
>I provided the sources in the images already
factually wrong!
>>
>>27583884
>UK 100-120mph
Lmao anon cmon. I race people all the time doing that in 50s and 40s. You can do 130ish on any motorway easily every day
>>
>>27585214
So right off the bat it says 40% instead of your claimed 30%.
>>
>>27585643
>30% with speedlimit plus 12% speedlimit because of construction zones
it's 42% with speedlimits, or in other words about 40%
>>
>>27585687
Doesn't say that anywhere because it's a meme source from some meme website. Neither does it gave a date for when this was true.
>>
>>27585696

>>27585214
this says speedlimits apply to about 40% (German officials)
>>27585126
this website (Statista) says 12% construction zones and 30% with speedlimits
>>
>>27585709
>still unable to understand what a reliable source is
>>
>>27585787
if you don't trust my claims you can feel free to do your own research or explain what a reliable source is for you
>>
>>27585802
People here gave you plenty of explanations, you've just decided to ignore them.
>>
>>27585811
>Dallas news and YouTube videos
ok based
>>
>>27585815
>decides to play dumb
>>
File: IMG_6023.jpg (1.01 MB, 1125x1143)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>27583998
>>27584004
Tuning is expensive in germany but you can work with the TÜV and make lots of stuff possible.
>picrel is a single turbo mk4 supra with carbon fiber parts etc.
Inspectors also accept FIA rules and you can get actual race cars street legal.

Sure parts need to be tested but that also filters all the chinese stuff out that can sometimed be dangerous like chinesium wheels. Rules for a certain model dont change. A car from 1980 can be changed to the rules from 1980 and it cant be changed. This goes as far as getting hot rods with open wheels, straight headers without mufflers and a supercharger street legal.
>meanwhile some states revoking japanese minivan registration
>land of the free
>>
>>27585926
This is how it should be done in civilized countries, let people to get anything registered if its done in proper way. Thats why germans can have unlimit autobahns without worrying that some qveen in nissan with donut that never been inspected changes the lanes without checking the mirrors.
>>
>>27583765
With a 125 motorcycle you reach its top speed every time you drive it.
>>
>>27583794
go watch a "just rolled into the shop" compilation and you are going to see why I love the tüv
untermenschen
>>
>>27586185
>As long as you lock the boot hard enough we may let you do as we allow
>>
>>27583765
I only care about neck snapping 0-60 acceleration. Makes my women wet.
>>
>>27583765
My cunt highway police doesn't enforce speed limit because they prefer ticketing/getting bribes from overloaded trucks doing 40 km/h. Speed cameras are sparse to nonexistent.
>>
>>27583765
while an autobahn would be nice, if the concept existed in the US it would be ruined within a day by NPCs who can't into lane etiquitte, and niggers who would send their dodge charger flying off a bridge since they were trying to facebook live while smoking a blunt and driving
If burgerland had one they would need to make it a highly expensive toll, preferably one that requires a high upfront fee for the whole year, and it should help keep out poor people
>>
>>27583805
>>27584023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qINXELZS-ME&ab_channel=Villaiho
>>
>>27583765
i drive a rattly old opal/vauxhall shitbox packed with eml codes that barely gets maintenance refuses to die, getting that shed up to 80mph is a white knuckle ride and im not getting my licence taken off me for being caught at that speed
>>
>>27587314
the issue at that point is catering to the weak willed who insist on bubble wrapping everything. you need to let the problem sort itself out before it gets better. you may also reach a point where it's a reverse peter principle, where no matter what you do, you will never go below X amount of single vehicle crashes/incidents that were caused by retardation
>>
>>27587554
Just look at the Nürburgring. They have crashes every single day when the track is open for the public.
A crash costs you 3-5k€, car not included. Just towing is close to 1000€, depending on the time they need and it gets more expensive when they have to close the track.

But no one screams for closing the track because its dangerous. They redesign the track often and add more cameras to make it safer and to avoid that people get actually hurt or die. Most of the times people can walk away from their cars. Its usually bikers who die and from time to time someone dies in a car, but that has gotten super rare.
>>
>>27583765
By realizing that vehicles are designed for low RPM at cruising speeds, not longevity or stability at redline in top gear. COUGHCOUGH oil starvation COUGH
>>
>>27587694
Mercedes used to stress test their engines by going WOT for 24h straight and they had to last and show barely any wear on the internals.
>>
>>27583765
>What is the fun in owning a high hp car and only being able to enjoy its acceleration
That's really the reason. Fast is fun, but quick is where it's at. I don't need to go 200+ mph, but getting up to the speed limit before the other sloths see the light has turned green? That's my zone.
>>
File: 4.jpg (18 KB, 738x415)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>27583775
>>
File: absolute hooning.jpg (32 KB, 841x143)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>27583775
All day every day
>>
>>27587760
wow such freedumb
>>
>>27587701
Yeah, but they should've also tested them like that for the RPM just above idle, that's probably what he meant
>>
>>27584059
You would think so but driving a sporty car in one of these rural places can make you more of a target. Really its been years, they aren't going to bring back the unlimited roads of the NT. Our prime minister just recently sucked cock of Asian leaders to reduced car emissions for whatever reason as if they would care what we do so forgot about bringing that back.
>>
>>27588457
Car enthusiasm has been killed by the government and remained dead in Australia for 20 years, 4wds are the next target
>>
>>27585926
>Inspectors also accept FIA rules and you can get actual race cars street legal.
Hardly. There are two way to get race parts street legal, either you let the TÜV run a bunch of destructive tests on the parts or even the whole car, or you register the car as an actual race car which includes having to participate in official race events, all of which have a rule set that will make your car expensive as fuck.
I don't care about some retard "knowing a guy" who can get it registered, that shit is a waste of money since every police officer can drag your car to an *actual* TÜV where you'll get fucked sideways with that. Might as well not get it registered at all and bet on never getting caught.
>>
File: 1682707766246909.jpg (199 KB, 1545x881)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>27583775
fippybippy
>>
>>27583765
I just ignore the speed limit.
>>
>>27585189
Where's your source pal?
Let's see it.
>>
File: UK-Motorway-M62.svg.png (39 KB, 1920x705)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>27583765
>He doesn't know the M62 exists

Do 100+ mph on it and you'll still have people tailgating and overtaking you
>>
>>27585060
>Anzeigenhauptmeister
Nigga receives death threats and his mom sleeps with a baseball bat next to her. That guy is just notorious, because the he disrupts the unspoken harmony of everdone disregarding parking rules here. Germans tend to be rulefags, but not on the road
>>
>>27593189
don't you all have speed cameras everywhere on it ? when I drove in N Ireland for a week I was so paranoid about those fuckers, I couldn't tell when I saw an ANPR camera vs a speed one

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.