[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713428769597764.jpg (32 KB, 841x143)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>It's illegal in 41 states to use a basic functionality of your gearbox
>>
Who will stop you for that, most policemen probably dont even know what a clutch is
>>
>>27587827

Police won't stop you. Neither will your brakes after you cook them. The trees, cliff base, runaway strip, some truck or a wall will.
>>
It's just for stacking charges when a runaway semi kills someone
>>
File: 1689009348477668.jpg (59 KB, 744x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>27587822
That's just dumb behaviour though. If you leave the engine idling it'll use more gas, instead of cycling EGR gas through. If you turn it off, you'll lose brake servo and hydraulic steering power.
>>
>>27587822
I am a seething europoor by the way
>>
>>27587822
now you know why they shill autos so hard. They want you to relinquish control over everything, even your gearset.
>>
>>27587822
What does B mean, if you are engaging the clutch you are disengaging the gears and therefore it's like neutral, what am i reading wrong?
>>
>>27587906
>mean, if you are engaging the clutch you are disengaging the gears
Wrong
>>
>>27587908
What's wrong?
>>
>>27587906
engaged as in the clutch is currently connecting the engine to the gearbox and wheels
>>
>>27587909
Clutch is like brakes (clamping force applied via friction material to a rotating surface to reduce/equalize the difference of speed between the mechanisms) but inverted; brakes engage when you engage the pedal, clutch DISENGAGES when you press the pedal.
>>
Yeah but what's the purpose of that rule, so you can slow down the car through disengaging the clutch?
In that case it's says it's illegal to disengage the clutch.
>>
>>27587822
Lmao @ rube goldberg machines. EVs motors can coast without having to disengage the clutch.
>>
>>27587822
I'm guessing this is so they can punish you for being a fucking idiot if you go downhill in neutral or with the clutch disengaged, cook your brakes and cause an accident. Well fucking deserved if that happens.
>>
>>27587951
You can get hurt even without cooking your breaks, if you need to break suddenly to avoid something there's a chance the car will slide as you will most likely going over the speed limit already.
>>
>>27587966
meant the brakes, not briaks
>>
>>27587846
I drive a vehicle from the 60s it has manual brakes and doesn't have power steering to begin with. Stop being a pussy.
>>
Engines are meant to brake. Model T for had an asbestor rag spun around flywheel as the brake brake.
>>
File: 1698217803116964.jpg (71 KB, 800x574)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>27587822
>the people in 41 states are so retarded they need government regulations to handhold them while they're driving
>>
>>27587846
>Thinks any of my vehicles have functioning EGR systems.
You're a funny guy.
>>
>>27587832
fpbp
>>
>>27587832
On a motorcycle, that shouldn't be any of the state's business. I have insurance to pay for the property damage and I won't hurt anyone on this little shit just coasting downhill.
>>
>>27587983
based
>>
>>27587822
Coasting in neutral is chud behavior
>>
>>27587822
is this designed for truckers?
i coast in neutral down slopes all the time, sometimes i turn off the engine, and enjoy the quiet ride down hill
>>
>>27587944
Electric Motors have clutches dumbass
>>
>>27588113
My brother in Christ my wife’s Mitsubishi mirage was totaled by an sv650
>>
>>27588191
Exactly...they don't need to disengage the clutch.
>>
>>27588113
Are you retarded? motorcycles have enough engine braking to just coast downhill at a constant rate in higher gears
>>
>>27587822
>shall not coast with clutch disengaged
That one's based, you'll just wear your clutch spring more.
>>
File: 61ca53f8e691b.image.jpg (136 KB, 1200x1027)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
Oh hey, what's going on in this thread?
>>
>>27587822
It’s never enforced but people who do this are dumbasses anyway
>>
>>27588449
BBBRRRAAAAAAAAPPPPPPBRRRTBRRTBRRRTPPPHHHHHFFFFF
>>
File: Wershington .jpg (733 KB, 1162x850)
733 KB
733 KB JPG
>>27588456

Sounds like freedom.
>>
>>27587920
It's one of those terms where the common parlance is the opposite of the actual meaning.

Mainly because most people think the clutch pedal itself is the clutch, so when they refer to "clutch" they're actually referring to the pedal, rather than the clutch.

So they intend to convey "engage the clutch pedal," but omit the word "pedal," so they say "engage the clutch" to mean "disengage the clutch."

Therefore, to ensure understanding, it's best for knowledgeable people to speak only about the pedal and avoid the word "engage" entirely when speaking with new drivers or most other people who may not be familiar with the actual function of the clutch, using terms such as "press the clutch pedal" and "release the clutch pedal."
>>
>>27587931
Read through the other posts in this thread that explain why you're mistaken.
Pressing the clutch pedal disengages the clutch.
>>
>>27587822
Coasting in neutral is completely retarded. Coasting in gear means you aren't using any fuel to keep the engine idling and can accelerate at any moment.
>>
>>27587822
But why would you? The engine won't stop using fuel, because it has to keep spinning even while disconnected from the wheels
Pop it in top gear, then just downshift when you need to use the throttle
>>
>>27587822
my car just goes off of TPS values and i can make it further without touching the gas if i coast, so i coast.
>>
>>27587822
>>27587833
Why do we keep allowing new laws to be implemented? We don't have enough laws already?
>>
>>27587846
It takes work to turn the engine. If you have a long straight to coast down, you'll have to get back on the throttle sooner if you keep the engine engaged. If you will have to brake anyway then sure you're right.
>>
>>27587822
Oh, no - absolute retards will be Big Mad, over this.
>>
>>27588456
more like

BRABRABURRRBRAAAAPHGBURRBURBURRBURRUBRRRRRRR
>>
>>27588449
So it's illegal to lift your foot off the gas?
>>
>>27587832
>>27587846
>>27587951
>>27588158
>>27588454
>>27588505
>>27588552
>>27588962
What's with all the retard NPCs in this thread?
Nobody said anything about riding the brakes you morons. Of course if you're driving down a steep slope that is so steep you have to constantly brake then you should put it in gear instead, thereby saving on gas and brake pads.
However, what if the slope is just about steep enough to keep your desired speed while in neutral? What then you fucking troglodytes? Then if you put it in gear it will eventually slow down more and more, and you'd have to press the gas again to speed up. Which is why you put it in neutral instead.
Seriously, have you never driven a car before or is there something wrong with your brain?
>>
>>27587983
your 60s cars steering rack ratio and steering wheel diameter was designed without power steering in mind you fucking moron
>>
>>27587966
you live in fear
>>
>>27588994
Those signs are referring to diesel exhaust brakes/compression release brakes or "Jake brakes" which are quite loud. Usage is typically only disallowed inside city limits in low speed areas, other highways are fair game.
https://youtu.be/NXhZ6jlqFTI
>>27589028
It probably also has twin leading front drums which have excellent self-energization and don't especially need power brake assist to begin with, like disc brakes do.
>>
>>27587822
>Coasting downhill with transmission in neutral.
I support this staying illegal.
>>
File: 1712368773758752.gif (1.07 MB, 320x218)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB GIF
>>27589009
I know. Reading the comments gave me AIDS.

. if you're cooking your brakes by coasting downhill in neutral ... it's a skill issue.
>>27587846

You use more gas coasting in neutral?!
you have to be 80 to post here.. that is ..in
IQ.
>>
>>27587822
It's a stupid rule, but why would you ever coast in neutral?
>>
>>27587846
>instead of cycling EGR gas through
im pretty sure in that condition it just stops sparking.
>>
File: 1707542561982661.jpg (47 KB, 1024x605)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>27589414
why would you have something in gear pushing you forward... making you go faster than you want. You are going Downhill.. you're going to brake anyway.. less stress less fuel.
>>
File: D0NG.png (10 KB, 306x308)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>27587822
>Coasting prohibited
High-Speed chases are ok though...
>The years 2020 and 2021 were the two deadliest on record, according to NHTSA (commonly pronounced NITS-uh). At least 1,377 people died in police chases over that period

Talk about focusing on the wrong issues.

I dare anyone to present a "coasting" fatality that wasn't a Tractor Trailer.

captcha: D0NG
>>
>>27589448
Are you serious? It's not going to push you forward when your throttle's closed unless you're going 3 mph
>>
>>27589009
>what then
Then you shift up. Have you never driven a car before?
>>
>>27587822
why would anyone coast in neutral down a hill??
modern EFI systems will actually shut down the injectors if you leave a car in gear down a hill and let off the gas.
you get infinite MPG when that happens.
>>
File: 1710698371941790.gif (761 KB, 220x391)
761 KB
761 KB GIF
>>27589539
inertia.
>>
>>27589673
That's not the engine, or the gearbox pushing you, and it's a bigger problem when you're in neutral
>>
>>27587846
You've obviously never driven a manual with low gearing, or high compression. On a 55mph mountain highway my samurai will slow down below the speed limit even on 14% grade in 5th gear. It's more efficient to keep my speed up for the next climb, so you bet your ass I'm gonna put that bitch in neutral.
>>
>>27587846
>he doesn't turn off the engine coasting in neutral
enjoy crashing and burning while I safely glide along the road to a rest stop in the event of power loss
>>
>>27588552
>>27588505
The only use scenario I can think of is getting a disabled car out of the way or if your beater can no longer engage 3rd/4th and you...still want to go that fast down hill? Saving wear on the transmission lol?

>>27589448
>why would you have something in gear pushing you forward... making you go faster than you want.

Because you always want to control where you want to go and...not doing that is not a good idea
>>
>coasting illegal
>land of the free
ahahahahahahahhahah
>>
>>27587822
Ah, good old ARS. I don't think engine braking is prohibited unless posted, I've definitely done it down the switchbacks to Sedona pissing off everyone behind me.

>>27587827
Highway patrol does, they know all the traffic bullshit.
>>
>>27587894
Dumbfuck, pretty much all new autos are made with a manual mode. If I want to engine brake or coast in neutral I can. You can also put an auto into neutral whenever you want. You know what autos don't do (unless you're really retarded, I have done it in a Ford) they don't stall. You have less control because if you mess up slightly you'll stall. You can't even drive with just one hand. What a cuck!
>>
>>27589647
BECAUSE NOT ALL HILLS ARE STEEP ENOUGH FOR THAT YOU NPC

>>27589550
Assuming you're already in the highest gear, also this whole engine braking infinite mpg thing doesn't work at 30 mph in 6th gear, you need a certain minimum RPM for that.
>>
>>27590448
This is a state law from Arizona and they pretty much 1 for 1 copied California's vehicle code. Their criminal code book is based off the Revised Statutes system which is based. It's a framework that several states adopted and further revised for their specific regional needs, but the base laws are very simple and well thought out. Not overbearing like CA, their "Penal Code" is a joke. If you're a law autist and want a laugh read through it, I'm not kidding that state is run by literal retards and their government is a circus clown show.
>>
>>27587822
kek that's insane.

I always coast the last couple of yards in a manual.
t. Euro
>>
>>27589448
You should read up on engine braking. If you don't apply throttle and your engine RPM exceeds a minimum RPM (i.e. when coasting in gear), no combustion takes place and the pumping losses result in engine braking.
>>
>>27590457
My brother in Christ, NPCs don't drive manual transmissions.
>>
>>27591142
Manual transmissions were made for NPCs.
>look! I learned useless complex talent
>"nice, what advantage does it give you?"
>uhhhhhh....stfu loser!
>>
>>27590460
US law leaves a weird impression. Sometimes it's all about MUH FREEDOM, sometimes it's 1984 police state levels worse than the Austrialia memes. Somehow there are places where you can openly carry ten rifles on you, but a bottle of beer in public is illegal, somehow there are places where cars need nothing more than a hood and a wildshield wiper to be legal, but then coasting downhills is illegal. really confusing, no wonder you apparently have so many lawyers for everything.
>>
>>27587822
If you run a semi trans out of gear for very long it will burn the trans up. Besides that, you don't have control of the vehicle when it's not in gear
>>
>>27587822
I only drive in 1st or 2nd gear. Neutral is for faggots.
>>
>>27591239
Don't forget MANDATORY JAIL TIME for going 20 over in Virginia
The prison industrial complex is huge in America
>>
>>27587822
What made your numb digger self imagine that's some kind of insight when you don't know how transmissions work and why they're required to be kept in gear.

Typical fatherless behavior.
>>
>>27587822
I shut my engine off and coast in neutral down long hills
When I slow down to well below the speed limit I put it in top gear and turn the ignition back to on then let the clutch out to start it without the starter
>>
>>27589028
I'm not a moron because you own a shitbox you fucking faggot.
>>
>>27591370
>transmissions are required to be kept in gear
Congrats, you win the dumbest post of this thread
>>
>>27591239
We are 50 different countries, we just have two governments. The state government is our actual government then there's a second federal government which is the corporation/alliance that manages all the smaller governments.

It's not that strange to have differing levels of muh freedom in laws like that. Arizona or example has a major issue with Natives drinking in public and fighting, stabbing each other, and drunk driving. So they've put strict DUI and public drinking laws in place. They don't have an issue with people carrying their guns, there's not multiple people dying every week as a result of it like there is with drunk driving and drunk pedestrians stumbling into the street. Coasting is just road safety, there's likely been crashes that resulted from it, people complained to the legislature or the legislature saw reason to make a law against it and did so as a preventive measure. Public safety and justice are the basis of law and these are in the interest of public safety.
>>
>>27588204
Lol impressive, post pics
>>
>>27587983
on a highway?
>>
>>27587822
>>27590453
>Highway patrol does, they know all the traffic bullshit.
How the fuck do they even know if your coasting?
>>
>>27591735
they have a range finder that makes an audible tone so they can actually hear if you are accelerating or decelerating by the changes in pitch.
>>
>>27591735
>can't hear any engine noise
>vehicle increasing in speed based on the decline of the hill
>driver admitted to vehicle being in neutral

If be surprised if even one of these tickets is written per year in the entire state. It's more something they put on the books so class A drivers don't do it because they actually learn the road laws. I guess they want the truck to be in gear so the engine is readily responsive in case there's an emergency. Coasting may contribute to a runaway truck situation or driver fucking around with gears when there's a sudden change in traffic leading to a collision.
>>
>>27591794
I've never heard of a range finder for traffic enforcement. There's radar and lidar which is like a light radar. Radar makes a pitch based on speed if the sound setting is on. The audible pitch just helps you hear whether the speed is increasing or decreasing, but your eyes will see it too based on the changing speed numbers so the tone is just annoying and usually turned off. You can't use radar to tell if someone is coasting, their speed will be increasing by the decline of the hill or by their engine, you won't be able to tell which if you're just pointing a radar at them from distance and can't hear the engine. Don't be too paranoid about this like I said it's difficult to articulate and not even much of a safety concern, only stick-asses would look for it.
>>
>>27591354
which is ridiculous lol
though it's also actually somewhat nice to just do some jail days for something like this and avoid other stuff. and it seems like you can actually take basic traffic stuff to court in most US states and have a lawyer be able to challenge charges or talk to a judge. here in Germany it's just based on a predefined punishment catalog and if you try and challenge tickets with a complaint they just go "lol no" and charge you an additional processing fee for annoying them kek. getting somebody outside of police or fines office like a judge to reconsider charges is really difficult.

>>27591711
but the federal government also puts laws on you average citizen, doesn't it?
>>
>>27591881
Taxation is about the biggest thing the average citizen experiences from the feds. Things like federal minimum wage and other things like what laws are allowed and not are the only things you'll ever notice. For example California's legislature wants to ban all guns but can't because of the federal Constitution framework not allowing for it, at least outright. We had Supreme Court case law prohibiting states from making laws against abortion, but that has been overturned and now it's the state government's decision on how to handle abortion. So there are some social issues that are affected but overall more is decided by your state government than you realize. Our states are still called states because we were originally a confederation of sovereign states before the federalists basically turned it into an empire. Before the federal organization was only meant to handle international stuff like trade, war, interstate quarrels, etc.
>>
>>27591187
NPC's don't even know what manual transmission is or how it works my nig
>>
>>27592137
Then why do only NPCs use manual?
>>
I feel like this question is semi related, but what's a normal AFR while engine braking? I know it'll be lean but my car is throwing a too lean code but my tuner says the AFR is stoic at all times EXCEPT while engine braking, when it shoots up to like 40
>>
>>27587983
The wheel, pinion, and rack are MUCH bigger. You can drive them a ton easier with that. Keep in mind a lot of modern "sporty" car with oversized wheels are just as hard to drive as your C2.
>>
>>27592137
Stalling in the middle of the road is an NPC thing to do and I've seen manualtards do it so many times.
>>
>>27592285
On modern cars, the fuel should be cut to the engine when engine braking. It's why you'll see your current MPG spike to like 999 when you're engine braking.
>>
I always coast in neutral in my manual shitbox, and no laws, or any whining faggot can make me stop.
>>
>>27592242
lolwut. autos make up the majority of car sales now and have been for at least 20 or so odd years.
the only way to get manuals now has been, increasingly, to get aftermarket manual gearboxes and then get them to work with the car you want to manual swap
>>
>>27593371
Yeah, NPCs are a minority of people so that makes sense.
>>
>>27593390
"I can drive manual and still wilfully choose to" is the biggest cope for not being good at anything else in life.
>>
>>27587846
Even with fuel cut off, if your engine is revving at least 3 times higher than the idle speed it´s more efficient to coast in neutral that waste all that energy to keep it running.
>>
>>27593471
Can't you just change to higher gear?
>>
File: nocruising.jpg (28 KB, 400x269)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
At least the the coasting in neutral law makes sense from a safety standpoint.
There are a bunch of roads in my city with No Cruising laws that literally ban cruising around in your vehicle and defines it as driving through the same area more than two times within a timeframe of a few hours.
Ostensibly it was to stack charges against people who engage in street racing or soliciting prostitution etc but its become a blanket charge for cops to arrest whoever they want within an area and weirdly enough all the areas are economically poor and populated by racial minorities.
>>
I lived in the mountains for a while and never had any brake overheating issues ever... I didn't really consciously think about it ever either, just followed my heart and braked when necessary. Although I also tend to just ignore speed limits when going downhill, then use my coasting momentum to get partially up the next incline, improving fuel economy dramatically. I also don't have a vehicle with drum brakes
>>
>>27593390
good bait
>>
>>27587822
How could anyone know?
>>
>>27593806
>blanket charge for cops to arrest whoever they want within an area and weirdly enough all the areas are economically poor and populated by racial minorities
BASED

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.