[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lada-niva.jpg (42 KB, 768x457)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Name a Westren vehicle you can buy brand new that has more soul than this.
I'm waiting...
>>
>>27603769
idk man that thing has some serious issues with drivetrain vibrations even when new.
>>
File: 2021_Citroen_Ami.jpg (297 KB, 1200x825)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>27603769
gonna /thread this thread nice and early
>>
>>27603769
>>
>>27603791
Perfect vehicle to drive into an oncoming semi truck whenever you feel like joining the 41%
>>
>>27603769
Just looks like the gay new bronco ford came out with
>>
>>27603801
A lot of American crossovers have a degree of Lada influence. Modern Blazer and Trax are a development of the Niva Travel, just using what is readily available in Mexico for said models and having FWD as a base model. Bronco is both inspired by the older Bronco and some versions of the Niva Bronto (Bronto being a performance division). Niva inspiration is more apparent on the Mexican made Bronco Sport, since the Niva is a textbook low-cost offroad vehicle.

Excuse me for my poor English and explanation.
>>
>>27603809
The Lada and its redesign into the Travel (2018 version) was a test for the Chevrolet crossovers to see if a "revitalization" would work.
>>
>>27603809
>Excuse me for my poor English and explanation.
That was actually better English than 98% of the native speakers here are able to type.
>>
>>27603815
Why thank you. I am an Amerilard, but today, I was speaking to my contacts in Russia, Hungary, Poland and Romania (discussion was in Russian).

Oftentimes, when I speak a Slavic language, I begin to drop articles after speaking English again.
>>
>>27603788
>car gives you reasons to wrench it
pvre sovl
>>
>>27603801
It costs 10k USD fresh off the lot taxes included in Russia.
>>
>>27603819
Fuck off ritter
>>
>>27603801
It took Ford 47 years to copy this classic then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYys5OoBfs
>>
>>27603791
The build quality on these is absolutely atrotious, not really surprising since they're like 10k euros now and literally made out of plastic and scrap metal
>>
>>27604101
Customers for those are either teens with a choice of moped or older people that do not have a licence to drive.
£7,695 or so here or you can rent one for the price of a tank of gas.
>>
>>27603791
>>27603792
He said western, you guys are fucking retarded
>>
>>27604101
It's like something I'd expect to come across while backpacking around India, but no it's just europoors living up to the name.
I'm glad you people have finally embraced it.
>>
>>27603791
I would rice the shit out of this, including but not limited to a giant Porsche whale tail.
>>
>>27604092
>>27603809
>>27603801
You're all a bunch of retards with no knowledge of automotive history.
>>
>>27604054
Coincidentally, I also know Latin and German. Ritter is German for knight, so, if anything, it could be seen as a compliment.

That aside, I might try to import a car from either East Europe or Asia (not Japan) in the future. I honestly was thinking of a Mahindra Bolero or late model Armada, since by then it should be legal to import, as well as maybe a Niva.
>>
>>27604372
I know of the Harvester, but it is more comparable with the American made Bronco than the Mexican one.
>>
>>27603791
>when some europoor is criticizing Americans with teslas, big crossovers, and obnoxious lifted trucks, THIS is what they’re driving
>>
>>27603769
>those wheels
>soul
The OEM steelies are way better.
>>
>>27603809
gr8 b8
>>
Niva threads are way better than "gobbunism is butiful" threads by that busrider commiefaggot. Here OP have your bump from me.
>>
>>27603840
>Thing being dog shit is good, actually!
If you want to wrench your own car a lot, build your own
>>
America has no car freedom.
>>
>>27603769
That thing is an ugly turd
>>
File: Grupa.jpg (1.06 MB, 1920x1080)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>27604632
Aside for the OP, who is usually quickly forgotten bout in his own threads, they're fairly comfy threads.
The Niva is okay, it is very crude and has a lot of shit I'm not completely on board with.
The torque arms for example are mounted into a "torque box" of sorts that is made out of shitty tinfoil metal, those can take barely any abuse which the car most probably will see during offroading and are very prone to rusting, which further compromises their durability.
The drivetrain is ehh at best, the tiny 1.6 litre engine pushing out a whopping 70 horsepower is underpowered for the AWD system, it can barely chug along and it lacks torque. Also drinks a lot of fuel, like 10 litres per 100km under normal driving conditions. Normal driving conditions for this thing is like doing 60kmh down the road, that's about 35 mph for yanks.
At 55mph/80kmh it's a toss between 10 to 15 litres per 100km. That's about 20mpg ballpark guesstimate. Drivetrain vibrations are a thing because the whole thing is pretty much bolted straight to the body, there's barely any dampers or anything for the drivetrain, they didn't bother with any of that shit. Obviously you won't notice any of that on shitty roads, but honestly they aren't THAT bad, in mine you can notice the shifter and levers shaking when accelerating and driving, but nothing too major.
All the gauges are ball park indicative at best, the interior is fairly solid, but also a bit cramped and has a slightly weird layout. Honestly can't ask for more in a car that small.
Now all that aside and in its defense, it is pretty much the cheapest "off road" vehicle you can get in Europe.
>>
>>27603791
europes hellcat
>>
>>27604755
>they're fairly comfy threads.
Yeah, maybe, if you forget about the person who starts them or proceeds to post his retarded /pol/ shit but is unable to post his own car.
>Now all that aside and in its defense, it is pretty much the cheapest "off road" vehicle you can get in Europe.
Regarding the technical details of the Niva I'm always astonished how they were able to spend four or five decades without making any improvements or redesigns apart from some crudely retrofitted 3rd party modules like the airbag system, the aircon or the ABS. Then consider the Jimny, it's how much, 15 or 20k Euro new? Not the cheapest, but probably the closest to being one, and still a relatively modern car, not only a "vehicle", and a decent offroader too, maybe even better than the Niva.
>>
>soul == unchanged from the 80s
sure
if you're going to masturbate over ancient metal deathbox designs, at least choose some genuine western one
calling any commie nonsense soul is silly because they didn't and still don't have much choice
>>
>>27604783
Yeah I'd say the Jimny is bettwr because it's proper body on frame, Niva is unibody and has solid axles front and back, Niva has independent front suspension.
The Jimny is still more expensive than the Niva and I think they outright stopped selling them in Europe in like 2017 or some shit due to not passing emissions, but I could be talking pure shit here.
The Russians never bothered upgrading the Niva because it was perfect from the start, it was supposed to be a simple shitbox for bumfuck nowhere poorfag masses and in my opinion it does exactly that perfectly.
If you wanted a better car, you bought the jimny or went straight for a Jeep Wrangler or some shit like that.
>>
>>27603769
>more soul
>>
>>27604375
Saird sik
>>
>>27604850
From the 70s akshully
>>
File: 1690011896959282.jpg (20 KB, 300x363)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>27603769
Caterham 7
>>
>>27604856
>The Russians never bothered upgrading the Niva because it was perfect from the star
No, it wasn't perfect, it was a (licensed) Fiat parts bin CUV. The infamous intermediate shaft for example is the legacy of having a passenger car gearbox not suited for the transfer cases, iirc. AvtoVAZ (what a retarded name) is de-facto state-funded, there's no reason at all for them to improve anything while the money still flows.
They made another 5-door car also named Niva during joint venture with GM, though, and it was fun while it lasted. Formerly Chevy Niva, recently renamed to Niva Travel. Kind of modern, at least for the late 1990s. All nivafags say the car is decent and is at least on par with the original in regards to off roading. I know a guy who modded his to run on 35"s, fun shit.
>in my opinion it does exactly that perfectly
Not in the year 1980+44 and with access to semi-global market, I fear.
>I think they outright stopped selling them in Europe in like 2017 or some shit due to not passing emissions, but I could be talking pure shit here.
They released a new generation of Jimnys a few years ago and it looks like it made its way to Europe. I believe they were able to comply or to circumvent the regs somehow, I remember seeing them as two-seaters with a grating behind the front seats, maybe to call them something like a van or some other type of utility vehicle.
>>
>>27604998
Why are American pickups not more common in Russia? It seems like the perfect place. Terrible roads, cheap fuel and long distances to travel between cities, similar to America.

Is it purely due to cost? If so, why not build the pickups in Russia?
>>
>>27604933
Not only is this the most Soul you can buy new in 2024, it's also probably one of the cheapest things you can buy new in 2024.
>>
>>27603769
a wrangler

unironically
>>
>>27605149
>Why are American pickups not more common in Russia?
Too expensive to import for the average Ivan, too "low-status" for richfags.
>If so, why not build the pickups in Russia?
Might've been a worthwhile venture to explore prior to 2014, but now Vlad's too busy chimping out at his neighbors and getting sanctions out the ass, it's probably not happening for another 10-20 years.
>>
>>27605149
>Why are American pickups not more common in Russia?
They were rather popular before new import/registration restrictions that came into force mid 2010s or so, and the common people became poorer again in 2014 (RUB became almost twice as cheap compared to USD and never recovered) thanks to Vlad. Speaking of common people (not richfags) who count money, the annual vehicle tax in Russia is based on the horsepower mostly, and the rate is way more expensive above 250 hp, but vehicles registered as light trucks get a different, linear lower rate. Among other things that changed for imports, it became harder to register crew cabs (most popular type) as light trucks, making the tax rate essentially the same as their SUV counterparts have, so a lot of people switched to the SUVs. Another thing that changed during the 2010s is that a lot of streets in Moscow essentially became toll roads for light trucks thanks to the Moscow administration.
>If so, why not build the pickups in Russia?
The UAZ Patriot has a pickup version, lol.
>>27605175
>too "low-status" for richfags.
How rich are we talking about? Because RAM trucks in top trims were and still are rather popular as a status symbol.
>>
>>27603791
Brazen, anon…
>>
File: LadaNivaTravelLegend.jpg (279 KB, 1600x900)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>27604998
The Chevy Niva has the same axels and driveline as the original, but with a longer wheelbase.
>designed as a Niva replacement, but AvtoVAZ can't afford to build more than a handful for 4 years
>joint venture time, result is the Chevy Niva
>turns out it was never designed to pass NCAP and can't be sold outside russia and a few neighbouring countries (oops)
>GM still puts it in production, immediately forgets about it and so some russian dudes just kinda build these things for 18 years I guess
>GM also holds the "Niva" naming rights for that period, hence the Taiga and 4x4 badging at AvtoVAZ
>someone at GM realises what's going on, immediately sells the rights and tools back to AvtoVAZ in 2020
>Nivas are sold as Nivas again and pretty soon after this facelift is released
>>
File: 1690914103438282.png (2.87 MB, 1280x934)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
>>27604998
>it was a (licensed) Fiat parts bin CUV
this is absolutely not a CUV
>>
>>27605303
>too "low-status" for richfags.
>How rich are we talking about? Because RAM trucks in top trims were and still are rather popular as a status symbol.
I think their rich people mostly prefer to pretend that they're wealthy Europeans. So they buy expensive Audi and Mercedes cars.
Someone's probably making a fortune smuggling them through Kazakhstan.
>>
>>27605834
Yeah, thanks, my knowledge of them is limited. I recall from talking to the same guys that the axle was slightly different in the Chevy Niva, but I might be mistaken. The engine(s) were definitely different, this is the thing I'm sure of. Not sure about the gearbox/tcase.
>>27605889
I mean the idea of a light offroader with BoF and utilizing car components, today we call them Crossover Utility Vehicles. The engine, most of the drivetrain, steering/suspension and other components came from the RWD VAZ passenger cars of the time like 2103 which was a license-built Fiat 124 iirc.
>>27605910
Some like to larp as Americans too or just like the traits their SUVs/trucks have. Tahoes/Escalades were pretty popular, there even were assembly plants in Kaliningrad and Belarus for those and for the Hummers. After the GMT900 generation Russian dealerships moved them entirely into the "toy for the richfags" segment, the only engine available for K2XX for example was the higher output/higher compression 6.2. I guess the idea behind that was if you want to pay higher hp taxes, you can just go all the way and if you are willing to spend that much, you can definitely afford premium fuel. I mean it's not the EU, 92 RON gas is still being sold everywhere.
>>
>with BoF
Meant unibody of course
>>
>>27606030
>The engine(s) were definitely different, this is the thing I'm sure of. Not sure about the gearbox/tcase.
They're all the same. I mean, sure, perhaps the classic Niva got the 1,7i+5speed a little later, I'm not that deep into it. But generally they just bolted the same driveline+axles under a different body. Which is nice because all the aftermarket stuff fits, and a curse because the new body is WAY heavier
>>
>>27604856
>The Russians never bothered upgrading the Niva because it was perfect from the start

No that's simply not true. Niva went through many upgrades, changed the interior 3 times, changed engine from 1.6 to 1.7, changed carburetor to EFI, got air conditioning, power steering and power windows. Next year she will receive a Samara based belt-driven SOHC 1.6 engine and finally 16 valve DOHC 1.6 engine from modern fwd ladas instead of classic 1.7 lada SOHC
>>
>>27606672
>still doesn't have a 16v
>two more weeks
lmao
>>
>>27606759
well honda didn't have a dohc v6 since the nsx up until recently with the new accord
>>
>>27606895
I mean having 16v in a Lada was something to be proud of in the nineties or so
>>
>>27606953
well this engine is only new for the niva since it's from another lada
the only advantage it should bring is maybe a bit more hp, torque and efficiency
they are probably only going to put it in so they can sell it in germany and other countries again
>>
>>27606973
>took more than two decades to adapt existing engine to existing model
>still not done
If they fail at this, how can anyone say they are able to "upgrade" anything? I'm not even speaking of, god forbid, designing a new engine without external help.
>>
>>27607588
I'm sure Stellantis has something they can use.
>>
>>27607609
Haven't you heard? 2022 happened, Renault pulled out of AvtoVAZ.
>>
>>27606953
Dude, you're talking about a Lada that costs a little over 10k USD. You will be surprised when you realize that the majority of europoor econoboxes just recently changed theirs 8v engines to 3 cyl turbocharged 16v due to emissions regulation.
>>
>>27607588
>god forbid, designing a new engine without external help

Just tell me, why would you create a new engine for ordinary econobox if you already have a good enough engine, and you're not limited by strict emissions regulation? I haven't seen yet the Japanese trying to throw away their 25 year old 1NZ.
>>
>>27608422
The price is so low because the maker regularly receives gibs and other forms of aid from the government including prohibitive import regulations (another reason for them to not improve anything), and the labor is also cheap as dirt. In other words if you're in Russia, it doesn't actually cost that low for you.
Also,
>3 cyl turbocharged 16v

>>27608431
>not wanting your engine to be more powerful
>less thirsty
>more robust
A lot of Niva owners does, and they try to fix or improve things the manufacturer won't.
>>
>>27608675
I didn’t say that the Niva is cheap for russians, but for Europe it's still very cheap

>>not wanting your engine to be more powerful
>>less thirsty
>>more robust

modern 3 cylinder turbo won't give you any of the above

also gearbox and transfer case will not withstand even 130-140 horsepower
>>
>>27608706
>but for Europe it's still very cheap
I thought the sales in Europe were almost non-existent?

>modern 3 cylinder turbo won't give you any of the above
How's that even relevant? Another anon, not me, wrote about the damned 3cyls, and I was responding to the post with the words
>you're not limited by strict emissions regulation
Please pay more attention.

>also gearbox and transfer case will not withstand even 130-140 horsepower
Speaking of those much needed improvements...
>>
>>27603769
Fleet spec Superduty.
>>
>>27604998
you are correct, jimny's could only be bought as utility vehicles (2 seaters) because of the emissions. also why they are so expensive. that being said, i believe they are ceasing sales in eu this year
>>
>>27603791
I yield

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.