[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240425_080016.jpg (3.33 MB, 4000x1868)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
How do I find the age of my battery? I'm going on a trip and not sure if I should replace it first. Used car with 96k miles and last carfax entry mentioning a battery check was 2019
>>
well, just change it faggot
>>
>>27606040
the date is on that sticker
>>
File: file.png (348 KB, 3370x980)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
>>27606044
yeah as I googled around it seems they last 3-5 years so I should before I hit the road Saturday morning
Also, is this something me as can do as a total beginner? Or can I pay a guy at Autozone $40 to replace it and clean the connectors?

>brother convinced me to sign up for AAA when I bought my first car last year
>haven't used it once because it's a fucking ripoff
wtf are these prices. and AAA mechanics are jews too
sorry for the upside down op image
>>
>>27606048
I guess most of the price comes from the three year warranty where a guy comes to replace it for you if needs be.

It's not that hard. But firstly, you need exactly same battery or AGM version. You need same Ah reading. Then, you need those connectors to be similarly to the old battery. Yes, there is two types of batteries, those who has negative terminal on edge left, and those who have it edge right like yours.

next you need 10 mm, or so, key. Loosen the negative terminal's nut, but not completly. Pull the negative terminal out. Then put it aside. then remove that securing bar by removing the first nut and turning it. Then remove the positive terminal. replace new battery. Then first insert the positive terminal. Then the bar and after that the negative terminal.
>>
>>27606048
most parts stores will replace it for free
>>
>>27606048
>it seems they last 3-5 years
This is going to depend a lot on how the car is used, the environment and a bunch of stuff.
Some cars with shit electronics constantly drain the battery even when turned off, and half empty lead-acid batteries go bad pretty fast. They also don't work or charge very well in the cold, so if you get cold winters and do a lot of short drives that don't warm up the car enough for the battery to start charging properly, it's not going to last long. In really cold places, they might take the battery inside after a drive so it works the next time the car is needed.
Auto start-stop systems can also put a lot of extra wear on the battery since manufacturers are incentivized to minimize emissions from the engine, and ignore the waste from the car ruining batteries in a year or two.
Anyways, if you have any doubts, just get it replaced. Bad batteries are easily the most common failure mode in otherwise well-kept cars these days. You might be getting a pretty large improvement in reliability, for a fairly small amount of money.
>>
>>27606061
Honestly AAA seems kind of worth it then, most batteries seem ~200-250. Mine is $214 at autozone right now.
Any they'll install it in my office.
>>
>>27606080
there is no way your battery is $200+. The massive AGM in my merc was $170 from walmart
>>
File: file.png (1.1 MB, 3595x1247)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>27606084
I mean, Autozone are jews too but this is my battery in the op pic
>>
File: IMG_1043.jpg (11 KB, 275x167)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>27606040
Sometimes B is 2 or F is 6 and so on. If date is not on the top, there’s always one on the side. Round colour coloured stickers. Don’t know what the colour means.
>>
>>27606040
>age of my battery?
does it matter? Leave the car overnight, next morning measure the votlage - If it's under 12.3v than you have a dead cell and it's time to replace it.
>>
bought the AAA one they'll be here between 1 and 3:30. I haven't spent money on my car this month so might as well before a ~400mi trip.
>>
If it hold a charge, it's fine.
>>
>>27606084
>My walmart battery was nearly $200!
Walmart sells the absolute lowest bidder's battery, and occasionally sells used (returned) batteries as new. Of course they're going to sell it cheap so retards keep buying.
>>
>>27606040
Dont bother too much about the age of the battery. Just fully charge the battery with a trickle charger first, then disconnect the trickle charger from battery. Keep the battery connected to the car, but dont drive for 24hours if possible. Then after 24hours measure the battery voltage with multimeter, If the battery still stays 12.5voltage or higher its still perfectly good battery despite old age. Bad battery will drop its voltage to 12.43v or even lower in 24hours assuming that theres no parasitic drain form car to battery.

When you measure voltage from old age battery it should be connected to the car(engine and ignition turned off just like its normally parked car). Thats because if you measure voltage from battery that is not connected to anything else than your multimeter, then battery is more likely to give you falsely high voltage reading that makes the battery look like its in better condition than it truly is. Measuring voltage from battery that has been charged or driven less than 2 hours ago is often bad idea because the battery has not reached its "standby/resting" voltage yet.
>>
>>27606048
> me as can do
>>
>>27606048
>>27606040
Hello tourist. Just so you know, this board often has a dedicated thread for simple questions like these. It is normally titled /QTDDTOT/, which stands for "Questions that don't deserve their own threads".
At the moment, we don't have one, but this thread >>27576101 has been it's substitute for the time being.
I'd like to encourage you to look around a bit longer and get a 'lay of the land' (especially before making your own thread).
/o/ is a place to share the joy of automobiles so likewise, we're always happy to lend a helping hand!
Enjoy your time here and don't forget to make some friends!
>>
OP Here. Made a AAA mobile battery appointment, guy game to my office and swapped the battery. Funny thing was the radio code screen came up and we couldn't find it so he called some local Honda deanships who all gave him a hard time and all we had to do is press the radio power button for a few seconds lol.
The guy was chill too, goofy black gentleman. And again, $209 total, new batteries are ~200 from Autozone/AOP
>>27606721
suck my dick that thread was dead for a few days recently and it's not like I'm taking up valuable discussion space, ungrateful ape.
>>
>>27606579
you are seriously brain damaged

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.