[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Discuss any activities you have done with your vehicles involving offroading, camping, or similar outdoors activities.
>>
How do I even get into this stuff? Is it even worth it?
I'm in California and I'm not sure where to go... Can it be done on public property? Is it any better than just hiking?
>>
>>27606464
go to the california state parks website. search for primitive campgrounds. there is a time limit, but it's free during that time. iirc, it's two weeks. usually there's a campground and surrounding trails to hike and explore. the primitive means there's no hookups or running water, but there's usually fire pits and a cleared spot to park off the road. i think it's worth it if you can get to a spot before it fills up. nice to get away from the city.
>>
>>27606464
it's really fun anon. are you in norcal or socal?

check out mount san jacinto, head up to idyllwild. it's a fun drive.
>>
File: IMG_5668.jpg (438 KB, 768x1024)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
>>27606428
Innawoods life!!!
>>
is the Frontier good? the dealers are giving 3k to 5k off msrp for them
>>
>>27606464
>how
Tent, sleeping bag, lantern (led backup and propane main) camp chairs, cooler, propane grill (they make big ones with folding stands for roadtrips and lighter camping), axe shovel and bucket for water if doing campfires. Some basic dishes and dishwashing supplies. A firearm and outdoor survival skills is helpful too but it's not like you're gong to need to navigate by a compass you built yourself and start fires with anything less than a blowtorch if you want to bring one to make it easy.
Even a small commuter car can fit all those things and suddenly you an drive to any of the many national and state parks or campgrounds and touch grass several days up to about a full week or more if you bring a big cooler and propane tank.
>Is it even worth it?
If you live in a state with national and state parks and beautiful geography, absolutely. California is world class along with everywhere else west of Kansas basically. Just gotta find the good spots that less people know about if you want to get away from the "tourists hanging out in a city park" vibe of popular RV spots.
>>
>>27606850
Lamayo
>>
>>27606850
>"tourists hanging out in a city park" vibe of popular RV spots
This is exactly what I've seen when I go to national and state parks. So that's my biggest worry.
But I still don't get the "off roading" part. Can you really just drive into the wilderness to set up camp wherever you want? Surely there's laws against that, and that you need to still be on some sort of dirt road that leads to some designated location?
Or is true "off roading" only for people who own large amounts of private property to do with as they please?
>>27606781
Norcal / bay area, obviously willing to go anywhere in the state.
>>27606763
>primitive campgrounds.
>the primitive means there's no hookups or running water, but there's usually fire pits and a cleared spot to park off the road.
The running water is usually just half a mile down at the main office XD.
I've done this several times in New Joisey where I grew up, it was alright, but felt too LARPy. I want to try the real deal in the actual wilderness.
>>
File: idaho.jpg (1.08 MB, 2048x1135)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>27606956
The closest thing to you where you can just "drive wherever" and not accidentally onto some uppity redneck or rich billionaire ranch type's property would be deep in the desert for you. There's roads that can get you extremely deep into wilderness in both national forest and privately owned logging/tiberland and the only thing stopping you is metal gates that may or may not exist or be open. Past that if you can get through an open field or over boulders nobody an stop you at that point. Maps and navigation is the sketchier part because obviously the only way to for sure not get lost is to have already travelled all the roads and know every marker, randomly numbered road or named creek and stream, and basically just be the mountain man.
The reason why you don't see other people doing it as much is because it's obviously a lot harder to just yolo into the woods properly without knowing how to do it already.
>>
my parents camped half the country in a VW bus with no AC
you're all fucking faggot redd*t-tier consooooooomers advertising <favorite product>
might as well make a /RV general/ you fuckin homos
>>
>Be in south florida
>Try to go /out/
>Mosquitoes and water everywhere
Fuck this place.
>>
>>27607093
Fake n gay
>>
>>27606810
Yes, last midsize with a solid n/a V6.
>>
>>27606428
Offroading was one of those things I always wanted to do in my early 20s but everyone worked low entry jobs right after high school. Everyone's daily however was either a crew cab truck, early 2000s SUV, and the occasional Jeeps mostly grand Cherokee, few TJs, and whatever subaru outback at the time. We never attempted anything all that technical nor that required low range other than to show off going up a dirt hill or through sloppy soft mud. Though we never needed 4 wheel drive all that often either. A 2wd sedan with some momentum could tackle 98% of the trails we went to regularly in the summer or late spring. Everyone had worn out tires that only had business around suburban streets. I think all of the fun got sucked out of the hobby/adventures due to it being someones daily driver with shitty tires, high mileage, and need of an oil change. Shit wages and little ability to travel all that far along with only short spontaneous back road places to enjoy a tall beer and smoke. While still being paranoid about getting home as it near towards sunset on a Friday or occasional week night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMyd4sfyNz0
>>
>>27606956
sounds like you need to explore BLM or NF land in the western mountain states. avoid the few popular hiking/side by side/shooting areas and you will be alone for the most part
>>
>>27607190
Lulz
>>
bump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.