[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (17 KB, 301x167)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Is it just a gimmick?
why does no company try to copy them?
>>
>>27607141
Isn’t it a modified atkinson cycle? Lots of other engines do it but call it something else.:. Like VVT
>>
>>27607145
Yeah but it also combines insanely high compression ratio I think around 14 to 1
Which is way above the standard 10 to 1
>>
>>27607141
>Is it just a gimmick?
No. Its more than just engine, its the whole car design.
>why does no company try to copy them?
Most of modern engines already have miller cycle/modified atkinson cycle. So others did copy this one feature.
>>
>>27607161
I know the engine stands out because of the compression ratio but what does the gear and suspension have that others don't?
>>
>>27607141
>why does no company try to copy them?
consoomers don't care
>>
>>27607167
>>27607150
I would bet that compression ratio is when it’s doing the Atkinson thing, so the exhaust valves are open for a part of that compression stroke, meaning it’s not really 14 parts air, it’s more like 10 parts air but then the fuel explodes and pushes the piston back down to 14 parts, hence the extra efficiency of the Atkinson cycle
>>
>>27607167
from what I understand its mostly just marketing, "skyactiv" is apparently their general philosophy - efficient, powerful (relatively) engines and a chassis that are comfortable but engaging to drive.
Nominally for the engines themselves is means high compression (13:1 in US market) direct injection, factory header, VVT, which all probably sounded a lot more impressive back in 2010 or whenever they first started that branding.
As far as transmissions, their automatic is partially a normal torque converter auto but with a true multi-disc clutch as well.
>>
File: 1650524047892.jpg (3.86 MB, 4096x3239)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
>>27607145
>>27607181
More like ACKinson cycle
>>
File: Capture.png (130 KB, 911x480)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>27607181
>exhaust valves
guessing you mean intake valves?
>>
>>27607141
desu it mostly is, every manufacturer has it's own gimmicky marketing name.
and while i don't toyota, because they make boring af cars, their dynamic whatever engines were verified epa not to long ago and they really do have peak 40% thermal efficiency (without hybrid crap)

>>27607161
>its the whole car design.
>drinking corporate kool-aid
>>
>>27607277
>>its the whole car design.
>>drinking corporate kool-aid
we're literally talking about a corporate name here, you dumbfuck
"skyactiv" isn't a specific piece in the engine
>>
>>27607141
I'm pretty sure this wound up going nowhere. Every Mazda ad I hear or see mentions their turbo engines. I thought they were trying to avoid turbos?
>>
>>27607287
Must be a US thing, I don't think I've ever seen a new turbod Mazda in Poland
They are all either 2.0L or 2.5L naturally aspirated
>>
>>27607141
see >>27607304
mazda is the only one selling regular everyday commuter cars with "big" engines. Everything else is turbocucked .9l 3 cylinders.
>>
File: 1633988361595.png (292 KB, 959x1084)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
>>27607181
I don't get it. I used to know how an engine works
>>
>>27607223
This guy gets it correct. The goal is also to keep the vehicle weight, real world emissions in check while not joining into stupid trend of downsized forced induction engines. In the past times it was also with reduced amount of electrified powertrains but this part recently changed because of too strict policies from human made climate change propaganda.
>>
>>27607304
Interesting. In many European countries there is Mazda CX-60 with econobox 3.3liter 48volt mild inline6 turbodiesel option with 200hp RWD or 254hp AWD. Mazda 3, CX30 have 2.0liter mild hybrid e-skyactiv X 186hp. Weird if Poland didnt get these options.
>>
>>27607452
Oh yeah diesels all come with turbos
I was specifically talking about petrol
>>
File: 1707284052484974.jpg (198 KB, 1920x1080)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>27607141
Skyactiv-G is nothing special. Skyactiv-X is the innovative system. It uses compression ignition (like a diesel) on a gas engine. In Oz it's only available as an expensive option on the Mazda3. Reason other makers don't use it is that Mazda owns the patents.
>>
>>27607287
The turbos are a high trim option, not standard. The NA already makes at/more than everyone else's turbo I4, so the turbo pushes them into NA V6 levels of power.
>>
>>27608522
Even the Skyactiv-G generates 13-14 to 1 compression
>>
File: 1707653517963278.jpg (208 KB, 1890x910)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>27608546
Yes,but Sky-X is world first tech. First ever compression ignition gas engine to market. Ready for Euro-7 regs. On another note, look how many Mazda SUV's we get in Oz.
>>
>>27608549
SUVs sell so companies make SUVs
Cant blame them for following the market demands
>>
I have a grey import 2015 CX-5 from Japan. What I know:

>14:1 compression ratio on the diesel as well
>Exhaust valves stay a little open for part the intake stroke while cold
>Auto box locks up super early
>Auto rev match down shifts even in "D"
>I almost thought it was a dual clutch when I first drove it
>If you have a wheel in the air it hardly spins at all before sending power to the rest
>Full throttle the first 2 gears are short and make it feel like a rocket
>Barely any turbo lag
>First KEKV I drove that actually drove well
>Pull back to shift up, push forward to shift down like God intended.
>Better clearance that most other KEKV's

Problem is that it is still a KEKV. However I think it deserves more praise than it gets, though not as much as that retarded autist that posts about it every other day gives.it.

Definitely put the ND Miata on my bucket list of cars to drive but they don't sell them in my country and I haven't seen one imported yet.
>>
File: 1712927931051454.jpg (773 KB, 3199x2116)
773 KB
773 KB JPG
>>27608551
Hope they sell boatloads of the RWD architecture CX60-CX90's. May pave the way for a new model car.
>>
>>27607272
Nah, if you left the intake valves open on the compression stroke, you would be forcing some air back out the intake and create a mess of turbulence. You send that air out the exhaust because air us already flowing that way.

>>27607342
It’s an interesting concept. It’s trying to make a little more power out of all the wasted heat that regular engines always have. When you compress 1L of air down to 0.1L on the compression stroke, then add an explosion with the gasoline, it expands it back out to 1L but there’s still more power in there when the piston bottoms out. Atkinson cycle says that burning gas is still expanding and cold push it out to 1.5L+ if the piston didn’t hit its physical bottom. So you do the modified atkinson cycle. Leave the exhaust valve open a little bit on the compression stroke so some air escapes, now you only have 0.5L of air in there being compresed down to 0.1L. You add the fuel with direct injection (except it’s only half as much fuel as before because you only have 0.5L of air to burn with it) and then spark, and that 0.5L of air plus the fuel burns enough to expand the cylinder all the way back to the 1.0L. And the exhaust gasses are cooler by the time they leave the engine because more heat was turned into power on that theoretically longer power stroke

It’s making less power when it runs like that because it’s less powerful explosions, but you get more power out of s given amount of gasoline. And it’s all variable valve timing, so it will run the normal Otto cycle when you want power, and the atkinson when you want efficiency.
>>
>>27608584
I'm no engineer but what you're explaining sounds too good to be true
What's the downside?
>>
>>27608584
>Nah, if you left the intake valves open on the compression stroke, you would be forcing some air back out the intake and create a mess of turbulence. You send that air out the exhaust because air us already flowing that way
it definitely isn't the exhaust valve that's opening.
https://youtu.be/NvtcTXey0U8?feature=shared&t=932
>>
Skyactiv-X?

Its more expensive, brings only limited gains in power and mileage, long term reliability is unknown and non-hybrid economy ICE powertrain development is nearly dead.

Too little too late.
>>
>>27608599
>long term reliability is unknown and non-hybrid economy ICE powertrain development is nearly dead.
ICE engines arent going anywhere as long as hybrid batteries cost like a used car
>>
>>27608549
>Ready for Euro-7 regs
but emission limits for gas engines were virtually unchanged in euro7, excluding nox limit lowered by 20mg/km and equalized between gas and diesel
>>
>>27608586
Well it wasn’t really possible until direct injection was a thing, otherwise you would be blowing air/fuel mix out the open valves. And it wasn’t really possible until variable valve timing was a thing, or it could be done but you would be getting way less power for a given displacement but now VVT lets them switch between regular Otto Cycle for power and Atkinson for efficiency. Tons of hybrids use it because the electric motor makes up for the lack of power, it’s sort of a standard thing in the auto industry these days.

It’s like cylinder deactivation. It’s all possible and helps efficiency a bit, but it makes the engines more complicated.

https://youtu.be/WKKILW3Zj_Y?si=0cT1iVtw5G-GSCu0

>>27608593
Ahh I see, Toyota engineers did something fancy with a “tumble flow”. Maybe it was the original design that left the exhaust valve open. I’ve fallen into too many wikipedia holes.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.