[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: US_seat_belt_laws.svg.png (24 KB, 355x220)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
Some douche who use to bang strippers and strippers only told me ages ago two things I don't agree with, totally.

1. Seatbelts do far more harm than good. Seatbelts will make an accident a fatality.

2. ABS kills. I'll say it again ABS kills. It's true.

Do any of you not wear a seatbelt because of safety concerns? What is everyone's view on ABS. I like ABS, I had two cars that were not ABS and stuff happened. I also got in 3 accidents and the seatbelts helped me, but the airbag (twice driver, once passener. Saved my head going out the window.
>>
If you're going so fast that a seatbelt can cause a fatality then you're going fast enough to be turned into mince meat without a seatbelt. At that point it's just up to you if you want an open casket funeral or not. ABS is 50/50 if it'll work in your favor or not, like it'll save your ride/life if the stars align and the perfect conditions are met.
>>
>>27643804
Couple months ago I was in an accident, dude ran me off the road, went through a ditch, hit a culvert, went airborne- and into a tree at ~55mph.
Walked away from it completely unscathed, minus bruises on my chest from the seat belt. Would have absolutely gone through the windshield otherwise.
Your friend there is a fucking moron.
>>
>>27643825
What kind of car were you driving? That's some incredible story.
>>
>>27643804
Air bags only work for a few years, after a while, they usually stop working
>>
File: exploder-rollover.gif (1.46 MB, 320x240)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB GIF
>Seatbelts kill
Which of these crash test dummies would you like to be?
>ABS kills
Illiterate boomer lore from people who don't understand how it works. IT DOES NOT ACTIVATE EVERY TIME YOU TOUCH THE BRAKE PEDAL. YOU CAN IN FACT THRESHOLD BRAKE PERFECTLY NORMALLY IN AN ABS EQUIPPED VEHICLE. Yes, an engaged ABS system stops MARGINALLY WORSE than a good driver who avoids locking up their tires when emergency braking. Even with a ton of performance driving experience, though, it's still a really nice safety net for the "oh shit" of a deer running in front of you or other such scenario. 2010s-onwards ABS should really never be noticed aside from trying to brake suddenly on snow or ice.
>>
>>27643804
He's wrong on both counts. Here's the reality:
-Seatbelts do far more good than harm.
-ABS saves lives
Basic facts. ABS can be worse in snow, but generally is safer 99.99% of the time. I disabled mine because you have to disable ABS to get stability control off, but ABS is way way safer. I'd love ABS-only cars to return again (stability control was mandated in 2012ish).
I hate authority and law more than the next guy, but not wearing a seatbelt just to "stick it to the man" is not just silly, but dumb.
>>
>>27643804
He’s a retard, don’t listen to retards
>>
>>27643804
But Anon, i have only banged your mom. Was she a stripper this whole time?
>>
>>27643804
ABS brakes are probably the single most important car safety item invented in the past 50 years.
.t owns multiple cars without ABS one with.
>>
>>27644444
>CHECKED
>>
>>27643804
Seatbelts can seize up or get smashed shut in an accident. If the car catches fire or you run into a lake definitely.
>>
I survived a high speed rollover with 4 dudes in a Honda Accord. The driver- the only one not wearing a seatbelt- was the only fatality, he went out the sunroof on the second or third roll.
>>
>>27643804
I was an EMT and have seen some fucked accidents where people were up and walking around, they wore their seatbelts. I've seen some relatively minor accidents where people had a cracked skull, they did not wear their seatbelt. I've seen bad ones where people were dead that did not wear their seatbelt. Wear your seatbelt, in all fucking cases.

ABS is about the only safety feature I want in a car. Holy shit you're retarded.
>>
>>27644550
Imagine bot carrying a knife 24/7 as a man. We rely on tools.
>>
>>27644626
You could just unbuckle the seatbelt...
>>
>>27643882
I can honestly see traction control being less safe, unless you’re a retard. I’ve emergency braked before without ABS and pumping the brakes felt instinctual and natural, so not sure how beneficial ABS is, but the drawback is minimal so I don’t really mind it.
Problem is that all of these mandated safety features improve safety for retards while decreasing safety for anyone competent. Try sliding around a slalom in the rain with DSC on. It’ll react about half a second too slowly, and actually attempt to throw you in the wrong direction because you’re now going the other direction. So instead of missing that obstacle on the road, you now collide with it.
>>
>>27644633
>Problem is that all of these mandated safety features improve safety for retards while decreasing safety for anyone competent.
Yes, absolutely on all points. When I flick and mash the throttle I intend to oversteer, not understeer into a tree.
I've driven without ABS for longer (again, to disable stability / traction control), and only done track days without ABS, and would choose ABS by itself every time. It's not like there's one threshold point, it changes with speed and tire/brake temp. The threshold point changes by the millisecond, so threshold braking is not as easy as most on the internet claim it is.
>>
Some taxican in a jeep changed lanes and put me a little in the wall, I straightened out and the airbag deployed while I was in control, removing my hands from the wheel and crashing my shit.
>>
>>27644647
airbags are way too sensitive and should not go off at speeds below 50mph/80kmh, nor should they go off unless the collision is severe enough to begin bending the frame rails behind the body panels.
>>
>>27644647
Isn't this why most newer cars automatically floor the brakes if the car takes enough of a hit to trigger the airbags?
It's safer on average to just stop anywhere as fast as possible since the driver's going to be at least very distracted, if not physically incapacitated by the impact.
>>
>>27644654
>>27644647
There’s good reason to believe, using NHSTA’s own data, that airbags are more dangerous than nothing. I think the only case where they’re clearly better is low speed accidents without a seatbelt iirc (assuming they aren’t takata airbags that’ll murder you).
>>
File: IMG_0706.jpg (466 KB, 1600x1200)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>>27644661
Idk man. Is the vaxx to keep us safe?
>>
>>27644679
They may have been a good idea when they were popularised, before people started using seatbelts.
>>
>>27644689
also if you assume stuff like:
>no manufacturing defects (despite widespread defects in reality)
>correct logic for deployments (see anon’s example above of crashing into a wall because of one)
>no one ever dies because it traps them in a lake/car fire
>>
>>27644687
did they rebuild that?
>>
>>27644679
That's retarded, airbags become dangerous if you are not wearing a seatbelt
>>
ABS is great, problem is that the vast majority of drivers don't know how to use it properly. But that doesn't mean the feature is bad, just that drivers are poorly educated. Arguing against seatbelts is just retarded.
>>
>>27644689
>>27644702
Airbags were pretty rare in parts of Europe even in the late 90s and when they started becoming common, they had way less effect on accident deaths than mandatory seatbelts did (afaik).
I suppose the bags might prevent some injuries from heads or limbs smashing against things, especially if the person's sitting in a way that prevents the belt from working fully, but I think I'd rather sit properly in the seat than bet on the bags catching me.
>>
>>27643804
The douche you talk about should be shot to death, because everything he said is fake information. If seat belt turns accident to fatal then 99% of those cases the seat belt wasn't adjusted or used properly. Alternatively if its 2017-2019 Seat Arona, Seat Ibiza, Volkswagen Polo then a driver side rear seat belt lock faulty design that caused seat belt lock to open itself during higher speed hard cornering or emergency brake from high speed. 2001+ years cars ABS doesn't kill, it reduces crashes if the system works properly, brakes are in good condition and brake fluid isn't too old. No any safety system or best traction tires can prevent deadly accident from happening if the driver is speeding too fast for the situation. You always have to drive slower in winter time than you can do in summer time even if you had worlds best winter tires or most powerful brakes for your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnzEP9h75FE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_uXZEkhlZU
>>
>>27644742
Yeah. There were seatbelt laws in the US, in at least the early 90s but they were add-ons for other violations. When people started getting pulled over just for not having a seatbelt, airbags stopped serving the function of saving people who didn’t wear seatbelts and just became a pain in my neck.
>>27644708
I don’t think so. Hope someone is keeping their eyes peeled.
>>
>>27643804
I installed a BMW M3 ABS in my race car.
And I tell you that it's definitely a game changer when it comes to breaking performance.
sure the overall peak breaking G-Force isn't as high, But the average G forces are so much higher.
that and the ability to bias brake pressure on an individual tire basis.
I can trail brake incredibly hard and not lock up any tires.
simply not possible without that ABS unit.
>>
>>27644742
>>27644792
You anons are retarded, airbags are a SUPPLEMENTARY RESTRAINT SYSTEM. They aren't meant to replace a seatbelt but to work with it instead. They can in fact become deadly if you're not wearing your belt. That's why seatbelt detection was front occupant only at first.
>>
>>27643804
please anon, for the world's and humanity's sake do not wear seatbelts when you drive.
>>
>>27643804
>New Hampshire doesn't mandate seat belt usage for people over 18
Holy based, now that is freedom.
>>
>>27645415
Thought I was being pretty clear about airbags not being as beneficial as seatbelts.
I'll try to word things more clearly in the future, for your sake.
>>
>>27645415
You’re retarded if you think capital letters is going to brainwash me.
>>
>>27645451
Nh is crazy but its a good example of how things could be if states weren't so densely populated with angry people everywhere. There's virtually no hoops to jump through for firearms as a whole, and a concealed carry permit is issued to literally anyone except documented trigger happy maniacs. Cars are basically free to be modified in any way you want and cops never bother anyone for anything, whether thats for better or for worse. Its truly live free or die
>>
>>27643804
>strippers
Lap dancers are odd people. Having a lap dancer in a management roll is so odd.
>>
>>27643804
>I had two cars that were not ABS and stuff happened.
skill issue
>>
>>27644565
>went out the sunroof
sounds fun!
>>
>>27643804
> douche who use to bang strippers and strippers only
Your aids ridden friend with no short term thinking said something and you took him seriously? How low is your iq op?
>>
depends how long is ages ago,
On miatas and rx7s the ABS was iffy, if you hit patch of leaves or dirt on a rainy day it would bug out so people removed them
>>
>>27643825
Post a pic. This is an imageboard ffs
>>
>>27646000
I wonder why that is
>>
>>27643878
> Yes, an engaged ABS system stops MARGINALLY WORSE than a good driver who avoids locking up their tires when emergency braking.
no it don't lol, unless you know a race car driver that threshold brakes every individual tire within a frequency of 300 times per second
>>
>>27643804
I hope you drown in a lake inside of a flaming tesla
>>
File: ABS vs man.jpg (171 KB, 1044x1059)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>27646281
not the other anon, but ABS is typically worse than non ABS in a straight line and a good driver.(pic related)
ABS doesn't use 100% of the tires grip to brake.
it keeps everything at about 95% so ppl still have some grip to turn.

however, throw in a bit of steering angle or uneven pavement; and ABS wins every time.
as a driver, I cannot bias brake pressure at individual corners.
That's why my race car now has ABS.
sure I can hit my braking zone at 150mph and not activate the ABS, but hit a bump or old pavement on one side, and the ABS will activate.
it's simply faster.
>>
One thing I've heard repeatedly from the anti-seatbelt crowd is this:
>if I had been wearing my seatbelt I would have been killed.
>>
>>27643804
Quick rundown:
>Seatbelts
Save many lives. The only time they were dangerous was the early '90s, when A FEW people got ripped out of their car, during an accident, because the seatbelt was mounted to the door frame.
>ABS
Only useful for absolute retards who don't know how to drive, AT ALL. Otherwise, useless bordering on dangerous, especially in bad winter conditions.
>>
>>27645415
Airbags don't do a single fucking thing, other than break your nose, damage your eardrums and put a load of cancerous particles into your lungs. Literally worse than useless.
>>
>>27646000
Checked. So what exactly is the catch with NH then? It sounds like an absolute paradise. It doesn’t have some retardedly high state income tax or property tax does it?
>>
Why the fuck are there so many people who have experienced fatal accidents in this thread lol
>>
>>27647386
You're dead, and this is hell.
>>
>>27647272
Checking it out, NH has no income taxes on wages / salaries (they do tax dividends / interest) , no sales tax, but moderately high property taxes.
>>
>>27643804
I and my CO (the USAF has troops from other units investigate accidents) inspected a rollover vehicle where everyone wore belts but the subsequently dead driver. He was a good lad so the partial case of beer and empty cans disappeared.

Being a mechanic and salvage yard guru for several decades I use and advocate belts and bags. Baglessness results in stuff like the pickup truck windshield I saw with two rather neat face prints that still had blood and hair.

The gear works but feel free not to use/wear it. Since humans become projectiles anyone in my rides is belted or GTFO. Tech illiterates do not impress me.
>>
>>27644444
Digits confirm

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.