[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

My mom never let me go to Scout/summer camp because she was afraid that I might get raped.

What did I miss out on?
>>
>>2713072
getting raped
>>
>>2713072
The experience with Boy Scouts really depends upon the adult involvement. Some troops are really active, doing lots of cool /out/ stuff, while others don’t. Most types will focus on adolescent character development no matter what the setting.

Education is part of it as well. Thats what the merit badges show; that a scout has learned a thing and proven himself proficient in it. I posted the requirements for the backpacking merit badge here a while back and half the board didn’t qualify.

Larger troops are divided into patrols. The patrols are run by the kids, which gives them an opportunity for planning. On campouts we figured out some of our own meals, sleeping arrangements, and various camp duties without adult involvement. The patrols become your core friend group within the troop, since it’s usually kids you went through cub scouts and Webelows with.
>>
King Peewee, Tenderfoot Dirty Man Competition, joining Micosay Tribe dressing as an injun and giving nerds wedges as you haul their ass around a big ass bonfire to the applause of hundreds of white people, and some basic bitch wood carving and outdoor themed classes.
>>
>>2713072
Getting to rape
>>
>>2713072
She got it all wrong. It’s the church children’s camps where the raping occurs.
>>
>>2713073
fpbp
>>
>>2713072
Grapes
>>
File: 74819104.jpg (35 KB, 428x287)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2713073
>>
>>2713072
Snipe hunting
>>
>>2713077
I just googled the requirements out of curiosity. It sounds like they're missing the point. Backpacking isn't something you make rules and standards for, it's an activity for you to go out and connect with nature. If you need to make rules for going outside and unwinding, then you're hopeless.
>>
>>2713072
Mormon fun
>>
>>2713110
Get the fuck out of the archery range we're trying to drink here
>>
>>2713113
But what if you go out, and get raped?
>>
>>2713113
>rules and standards
If that’s your take the you have a reading comprehension that’s worse than a teenaged boy. The guidelines are about safety, planning, LNT, and basic stuff.

https://www.scouting.org/merit-badges/backpacking/

Or maybe it’s the “breakfast question” of out.
Can you describe 10 ways you can limit the weight and bulk to be carried in your pack without jeopardizing your health or safety.
>I don’t understand; I don’t mind if my pack is heavy.
>>
>>2713171
Nah he's right and you're wrong. Fuck that list of bullshit. All of it can be summed up as "dont be a retard" and "pick up your trash".
>>
>>2713072
My parents were not interested in outdoorsy things but put me in a scouting program. I got to do things I would otherwise not have been exposed to like camping and cross country skiing. For me it was a good experience, now I have an /out/ job and hobbies, obviously I enjoyed it. No rapings occurred

I tried putting my son in 'trail life' scouts, it seemed like a bunch of paperwork and planning and not much activity, wasn't a fan..
>>
>>2713072
losing your virginity.
>>
>>2713176
if you can't describe the things you think you know, you don't really know them, you just have habits that approximate knowledge
>>
>>2713072
>My mom never let me go to Scout/summer camp because she was afraid that I might get raped.
>What did I miss out on?
>Rape

Good call mom.
>>
>>2713072
unironically pne of my scoutmasters turned out to be a paedo. But he never did anything, just leered at the boys

Apart from that I spent a lot of time camping and hiking and making things with sticks and rope got little badges for it. Was a blast
>>
>>2713072
Induction into the cult of Molok.
>>
>>2713072
There were a lot of things I liked about scouts but I was a weird little kid adhd kid so I didn't do particularly well at it and didn't make any friends really.
I really liked learning camping and survival skills, I liked the camping and canoeing and hiking trips.
My dad was around but I was his 3rd kid and he had me pretty old so he was kind of already over scouts by the time I was doing it because he had already done it a decade prior.
I didn't get along with the other kids and I got in a lot of fights. Not in like a badass way (if there even is a badass way to fight children) but just in a maladjusted kind of way.
>>
>>2713169
Ah good ol Scout Master Ron. They called him Long Ron, and I learned that the hard way.
>>
File: patrol box 35464535.jpg (1.04 MB, 3072x2304)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>2713072
>What did I miss out on?

Patrol boxes.
>>
>>2713310
Waste of table space tblebedesu
>>
>>2713072
I was bullied during it but I still remember it fondly.
Even had a dance with a girl and I stepped on her feet lol.
>>
>>2713314
The table space is exactly the same. The area with storage below it still functions as a table, it’s just higher.
>>
>>2713316
One of the camp counselors took me out to the wood shed after the Green Valley dance. I couldn't walk right for about a week.
>>
I went to a couple summer camps and we learned some cool stuff for a 12 year old. Like how to swim if you fall out of a canoe, first aid, useful knots, orienteering, firecrafting, etc. Me and a buddy took a wilderness survival course and slept in a shelter we made through a rain storm.

Other than the actual occasional camping trip that happened maybe 3 times a year it was basically just daycare for autistic kids. Oh god the amount of autistic kids in boy scouts is so bad. There is no filter so you get the absolute bottom of the barrel whiny ass kids that can't swim, chafe while walking between stations in summer camp, can't carry their own lunch box, and they're followed by their helicopter parents that chaperone and ruin shit for everyone else. The amount of rules was also annoying as hell. You get your pocket knife taken from you if you don't say please and thank you while firmly grasping it between each other, shit like that.

Then there's the fundraising and public service part of it. Remember, you're not in the scouts to go actually go camping and do fun shit, you're in the scouts to volunteer to clean up the local river, or go winterize some old lady's house, or do some "community service project" (my buddy and I's was a little garden plot at our local church). You have to attend the meetings every sunday, they take attendance. You also have to sell popcorn, so yeah you have to go door to door and ask annoyed parents to buy popcorn to raise funds to do things like go on trips, unless you have rich grandparents that will chip out $500 for 10 bags of popcorn.

You won't go up in rank unless you do these things, I got filtered before it started to get cool (real backpacking trips, learning how to sail, shotguns). There was definitely a large schism between the normal kids and the weirdo daycare kids that ruined everything. That and everything played went by the wayside when I started playing football.
>>
>>2713072
Camp was great, it was in the middle of nowhere, no wifi, pumps for water, big outdoor mess hall. they renovated a bit when I got older but then the camp got shut down because inner city niggers didn't like it and boy scouts was bankrupt and needed to consolidate. So the only camp left is in a suburb.
Rip Paul Bunyan
https://www.nailhed.com/2014/11/will-real-paul-bunyan-please-stand-up.html?m=1
>>
>>2713384
>winterize some old lady's house, or do some "community service project" (my buddy and I's was a little garden plot at our local church)
Kek. We built a garden for a little old lady and then we organized her cellar. We didn't actually do any camping or backpacking. I always laugh at people when they say the scouts prepared them for anything. Goofs like >>2713077 ate too much of the popcorn.
>>
>>2713403
>We didn't actually do any camping or backpacking.
In other words you had a shitty adults and a shitty troop.
>I always laugh at people when they say the scouts prepared them for anything.
Maybe if you didn’t have shitty adult involvement and a shitty troop your opinion would be different.
>>
>>2713072
>What did I miss out on?
Boredom, low level gang warfare and bad food.
>>
>>2713403
I'm sorry you guys had bad troops, we did stuff like organizing food pantries too but also a bunch of backpacking and winter camping trips, I was in a small town and most of my friends were in the troop too, it was awesome. Other than outdoors skills, if you have the patience to get 14 year old boys to pay attention during a meeting, you're ready for a lot of other leadership positions. Helped me a lot at college and to get my current job. Of course, there were also a lot of weird kids (even more so now I think) and a couple troops in my state had pedo incidents. Gotta watch out

As for camps, it totally depends on your troop too. My group always went to an awesome one in Maine, which was a lot of eating shitty food, whittling sticks, hanging out with your friends in the woods, swimming and sailing, shooting .22s and shotguns, sleeping in vietnam surplus tents, and using the bug spray as a flamethrower when the adults weren't looking. It was a great time
>>
>>2713578
It's a bit of a roulette whether you get a shit troop or not but mine was sick as hell.
>full of vets that hated being inside plus one rich guys with a garage full of snowmobiles
>Idaho
>backpacking trips year round, even in winter
Best years of my life desu.
>>
>>2713072
Eagle scout:

Scouting was a good way to force me to interact with other kids my age and be able to develop social skills along side my scouting skills.

I was always introverted but scouting eased that away and taught me that while I do require to be alone to do my own things, everyone should have a group of people they are close enough with to cook/camp/hike together.

The merit badges did their job as well in terms of letting me be interested in many hobbies/interests. Ham radio, metalworking, wood working, shooting, camping, hiking, etc.

I assume I would still be interested in shooting and radios regardless but ultimately it made me a more well rounded person.
>>
>>2713072
>was afraid that I might get raped
I'm so happy that I was scout in first world country and not in third world countries like America and Africa.
>>
File: 1409373005.jpg (22 KB, 430x378)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2713676
>first world
>actively importing hordes of Africans and letting them rape your children with no consequence.
>>
>>2713390
Great to read all the comments left by the old boys (and girls) in this article. I'm in Australia but I get the sentiment of seeing a place that was such a big part of your youth, fall into disrepair. Scouting isn't what it used to be but in can still be what it was when we work to make Scouts great again. I still enjoy going back to the campsite (still operating) that I went to as a Scout. I like finding the few details that remain unchanged.
There's a life lesson in all of this. Things won't always stay as they were and it's up to all of us to honour and preserve the spirit of things like Scouting. Don't be sad that things have moved on. Work to make sure the old exists within the new, no matter how woke they make our Youth organisations. I know my Scout's favourite things to do are pioneering construction projects, hiking in nature and sitting staring into a campfire. There's a Paul Bunyan in everyone...
>>
>>2713737
I went to a Dawn Service a few years back and there was a troop that must have been 95% niggers running amok while their white handlers impotently tried to get them to behave.
>>
>>2713743
Our nation is a total loss at this stage. Rural Australia isn't yet overrun, living an isular life from the rest of the nation (Sydney). They are starting to trickle in though...
>>
>>2713743
Very unfortunate.
>>
>>2713676
They didn't have Scouts in your country.
>>
File: 81Ov7RIxTdL.jpg (461 KB, 1949x2560)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
>>2713072
I enjoyed it thoroughly. Got to do lots of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise gotten a chance to do. I did backpacking, sailing, wilderness survival, fucking welding, all sorts of stuff. My Troop went camping once a month and did summer camp every year.

What the other anon said about it being a daycare for retarded kids is kind of true. My troop was half kids who wanted to be there and were normal. One quarter was the terminally online anime/vidya kids whose parents forced them to do it. The other quarter was autistic kids and other flavors of retards. My troop leader realized what a drag a lot of the kids were and that a lot of parents were using it as cheap babysitting and created camp outs where you had to be minimum a first class scout rank and that effectively filtered people and those were the best camp outs.

My favorite memory is when I was 16 my buddies and I snuck out of the summer camp. Evading the adults and camp staff and walked 5 miles into town to get a homeless guy to buy us alcohol from the grocery store. Then we walked back and got drunk in our tent while playing cards against humanity.

My troops philosophy was being "boy led" meaning the adult leaders gave us max responsibility for planning events and doing everything we were supposed to on out campouts. They were mostly there for guidance and to make sure we didn't hurt ourselves. The hands off approach wasn't the best for my rank advancement but holy fuck the camp outs were so much fun. Scouting peaked when I was a senior scout (age 15-17ish) doing /out/ shit during the day, playing manhunt and capture the flag in the evening, and sneaking out to get alc and cigs with the boys in the night. So much fun.
>>
>>2713072
The rape was the worst part. But learning to leatherwork was fun
>>
>>2713124
Being molested by your dad?
>>
>>2713676
The BSA was bankrupted by all the rape lawsuits
>>
>>2713072
>People who were in the scouts or guides in childhood have better mental health in later life
>Analysis of a study of 10,000 people found ex-members were 15% less likely than other adults to suffer anxiety or mood disorders at the age of 50.
>>
>>2713113
>>2713171
Obviously these are the most important parts, that alone would fail most people here:
>10. (...) participate in at least three backpacking treks of at least three days each and at least 15 miles each, and using at least two different campsites on each trek. Carry everything you will need throughout the trek.
>(b) (...) take [a] trek (...) that is at least five full days, covering at least 30 miles and utilizing at least three different campsites. (...)
The rest is rambling school stuffs like 'describe why you shouldn't shidd and piss in der river'
>>
>>2713100
>King Peewee
Damn, brought back memories from when I was King Peewee at summer camp.
So every troop picks the smallest scout and sends them up in front of everyone to be weighed and the lightest kid is dubbed "King Peewee", who then makes a "Royal decree" to everyone at camp.
The older scouts sent me and told me that if I won, my royal decree should be "Free slushy day", but when I did win the douche camp counselors told me that my decree had to be "Camp [Name of Camp] T-Shirt Day".
I told them no, it's motherfucking free slushy day.
They kept pressing me for what felt like 20 minutes to say "Tshirt day" but I held my ground and told them that I wasn't saying anything besides free slushy day.
Finally one of the higher up camp counselors told me that if I announced to everyone "Tomorrow is Camp [x] Tshirt day, half off on camp shirts", they would partially relent and give everyone in my troop a coupon for a free slushy.
He promised on his scounts honor, and so I made the bs decree and everyone in my troop was like "Wtf happened? Why were you talking to them for so long? Why no slushy day???" So I told them what happened and sure enough the guy came and gave us all a free slushy coupon.
I was a shy and timid kid so I surprised myself by standing my ground.
I felt pretty based that day.
>>
>>2713072
Rercome to summel camp! ^_^
>>
>>2713310
Tfw like 10 years old and were lugging these massive things out of the trailer to set on whatever tables are present, plus 3 super long aluminum boxes that held all the shit for the kitchen fly if the campsite didn't have a shelter (it usually didn't)

non perishables and mess equipment went in the patrol boxes, we had a cooler or two as well
>>
>>2713384
Sounds like a lame troop in a lot of ways

our troop was pretty laid back though and didn't like, force people to go through the ranks. it was primarily about the camping and actually having cool trips, merit badges and ranks came second.
The typical year was:

Winter - do meetings at school, work on merit badges or education you can do inside. Sometimes the meetings were literally just check ins. Scoutmasters attempted to always have some sort of game or physical activity after the important part of the meeting was done. If a kid couldn't make one here or there it was nothing. Dead of winter we would do a veg out camping trip where we got cabins and were allowed to have electronics

Spring - Various tent camping outings, meetings shifted to the local park as weather got more reliable. We would always hike some of the trails at that park every meeting. Sometimes planning for longer trips in the summer. Merit Badge challenges. Maybe one kids eagle project.

Summer - Meetings always outdoors now. Educational or merit badge content during meetings. Maybe one kid has an eagle project he's working on. Volunteer opportunities came and went and you were heavily encouraged to volunteer but never truly required unless you wanted to work on your rank. Summer camp of course.

Fall - Migrate back to meetings indoors as it got colder. Court of honors, etc.

Looking back out scoutmasters did so much for us as kids and we never really gave it much thought. My experience was great and I made some lifelong friends in my troop. I wouldn't want to have done it any other way. I definitely wouldn't have fitted in with the more rigid troops but we were much more self driven. We dissolved when our feeder school merged with another in the area and we no longer had new kids coming in. As the years went on and kids aged out, it became more of just a small group of guys hanging out going camping with a couple remaining kids, then just the former.
>>
>>2713113
Shut up hippy.
>>
>>2713113
Merit badges were basically how-to courses on outdoor activities for urbanites and the sons of single mothers, they weren't "rules and regulations".
>>
I don't have a particularly good autobiographic memory, but one of my core, vivid, un-erasable memories is of playing truth or dare with an adirondack full of boy scouts. A delightfully tasteful level of youthful homoeroticism without crossing the line into depraved degeneracy. Just your everyday healthy boyhood development, nothing more. Nothing more! Ah, memories.
>>
>>2719434
>I ate the cracker and liked it, but that doesn't make me GAY!!!11111
yes it does.
faggot.
>>
>>2719437
Unfortunately, not once was a productive orgasm involved. No cum at all, I'm afraid. Just frustrated boners. So no such situations involving soggy biscuits. But so many little boners.
>>
File: 1709807344109470.jpg (114 KB, 906x1360)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>2719438
Fuck off nonce.
>>
File: 613.png (220 KB, 680x728)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>2719438
>But so many little boners.
>>
>>2713073
FPBP
>>
>>2713072
i joined and it was basically just a holding pen for delinquent kids in my catholic community

a strange mix of psychopaths and utter retards, half of my troop are in prison now

they never let us do anything, not even light a fire, they just kept us in the church's basement

It really was a microcosm of everything wrong with how cucknada treats young men
>>
>>2719571
>catholic community
East coastoid pls you have to be in salt lake city or gilbert arizona for the true mormon boy scout experience
>>
>>2713113
>Backpacking isn't something you make rules and standards for, it's an activity for you to go out and connect with nature
Actually, backpacking and scouting are activities for you and a squad of men/boys to practice military maneuvers in a low-risk setting, so the rules and standards are quite appropriate
>>
>>2713113
The whole point of a merit badge is to teach you the basics of a certain skill. That's it, that's is all it does. It's not trying to force some rules and standards onto backpacking. It's just trying to give you some information and experiences that would be useful for someone who wanted to get started backpacking.
>>
File: gaydeathnavy.jpg (275 KB, 1200x675)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>2719577
You mean getting rapes in the desert?
>>
>>2713578
Camp Hinds?
>>
>>2717956
>>2719152
You have no idea how much I wish I could’ve had this growing up. I hate that I was sheltered so much
>>
>>2719693
The best campouts were in the fall we would do a forest festival booth and we'd be camping right next to the girl scouts. My first date and first gf (2 separate girls) were both from that girl scout troop. Man I would pay anything to smell my first gf's perfume one more time. Still one of the most pleasant smells I've ever experienced to this day. No idea what the hell she wore but it put me in a trance.

I'm sorry you missed out those were seriously some of the best days of my childhood.

We also never had any drama or allegations of sexual misconduct from leaders. The only drama was at summer camp, supposedly my buddy told me he was going to some part of the camp, I went back to our site to prepare to meet up for dinner. He never showed up for dinner and people freaked out. I don't remember him ever telling me his whereabouts nor why he didn't just come back and get in uniform for dinner (breakfast and dinner at summer camp we were required to meet in the field in front of the mess hall in uniform for announcements and the flag raising/lowering ceremony.) This was before it was widely accepted for kids to have cell phones plus camp banned them out of principle, so nobody could contact him.

The adults got blamed. He eventually got found fine but that was the beginning of the end of our troop. Over the years less and less kids joined because again our feeder school got merged. One of the scoutmasters retired, the others wife kept scheduling events on camp out weekends to try and force him out of it, and nobody stepped up to really take his place. We were down to 5 people at the end.

You probably would have fit right in and we would have loved to have you.
>>
>>2717956
This is pretty similar to my experience in scouting. Im not from america, so ranks and ages are different.
My scouting experience peaked during my Rover phase (16 to 20 years old). It was basically all boy led, with our 2 scoutmasters who were a 30's really chill guy in we all trusted, and a young late 20's firefighter guy who teached us everything from welding and using all short of electrical tools, to driving or building 8 meter watchtowers out of logs.

We had 1 weekend campout and 1 full day of volunteer per month. The volunteer day mostly consisted on going to a field wich an old ex-scout lend us, so we can build shit on it, like a construction barbecue, or a place to hang out, as well as othe construction proyects, turning the field into a great campsite. We even built an automatic irrigation system so tjhe trees we plant can grow up (all thanks to the firefighter guy).

We also had a 5 days route on easter holydays and the 18 days summer camp wich included another 5 days route, in wich we did some of the highest peaks in the pyrenees.

It was great. We planned all of our activities, and we created a great friend group of 13-15 senior scouts. We also sneaked out of the camp to go drinking at night. We had the joke that it was indispensable for us to carry two water bottles to our campouts, one full of water and the othe one full of vermout. Our scoutmaster always told us to do whatever we want at night, with the condition of us dont waking them up, and we waking up the next mornign at 8 a.m, perfectly fine and out of trouble.

Life long friends, useful skills (both "physical" and social), lots of fun, and experiences I couldn't live outside of scouting. Thats why me and few buddies from that time are still scoutmasters in the same group, trying to get new young people similar experiences to the ones we had
>>
Scouts are less rapey in Mormon hands. Maybe having a harem of obedient blonde wives drains them of energy.
>>
>>2713113
>all the reeing at this
K E K
>>
>>2713113
You would be the first retard to be eaten by a chipmunk or some other harmless creature if you ever actually did venture outdoors.
>>
File: 2b8.jpg (35 KB, 640x463)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
It was a church camp for me.
>Crashed a go kart
>played paintball
>almost fell off a cliff
>had surprisingly deep conversations about theology, for a middle schooler that is
>Learned I really like kayaking
>missed the chance to get freaky with my distractingly hot twink cabinmate because I was too dense
>ate some damn good hashbrow casserole
8/10, missed out on that gay blowjob
>>
>>2722652
I got distracted by the hot cabinmate who wasn't into me, I mean we were friends but I had no chance at more, though I wasn't direct or overt, and ignored the big dicked guy bunking on the other side who WAS into me
I too missed out on that gay blowjob
>>
>>2718689
Probably because they come from richer families that can afford it
>>
I just learned scouts do "pioneering" where they build swings and bridges and catapults and shit out of natural materials as a team. Sad I will never experience this.
>>
File: scout-swing-3598114939.jpg (368 KB, 948x617)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>2722682
I want to build a swing with my friends.
>>
>>2722682
I did that sort of thing in school. We went away camping for a couple of weeks for 'bush school' when we were 15 or 16. Had to do all sorts of teamwork modules involving building tents and bridges and shit.
>>
>>2722682
Pioneering was my favorite. Building towers was so much fun. I have a bunch of stories from my time in scouts including one death at summercamp, but I'll post them when I'm not phoneposting.
>>
>>2722672
Only kid i recall knowing that was in scouts was poor, but his moms was a scout leader so i'm assuming that got them some kind of discount or free?
>>
>>2722618
>>2722613
>>
>>2722696
>summer camp 2003
>camp Meriwether
>week has been great so far
>I'm fat as shit at the time, so the hike into camp kicked my ass
>third or fourth day in
>I'm working in the mess hall for dinner
>Troops are all assembled for the nightly flag-lowering ceremony
>which includes lighting off a cannon
>Setting plates in the mess hall, suddenly hear a much bigger boom than normal
>Apparently the cannon had a hang fire, and a scout went to check on it when it went off
>Poor dude's skull split open in front of his family
>Camp resumed as normal, and the rest of the week was pretty fun desu
>Had no idea this dude fucking died. The counselors just kind of acted like everything was fine around the kids.

Apparently my scoutmaster's retard son also nearly fell off a cliff, and was saved by one of the counselors. My leaders thought very poorly of the camp, but I thing it was great (minus that dude dying). We certainly went to much more poorly handled camps.

https://medium.com/@witt.case/trauma-and-irony-5edeaa29b5d7 Here's an article about the event.
>>
>>2713072
I was also a never scout. Did plenty of camping but never did scouts. Always regretted it for a while but got over when I saw actual troops in action.
>be camping with dad
>moderate trail, just a few miles to an ice creek with some semi cleared areas for camping
>check the log book at trailhead
>15+ Boy Scouts with an hour head start
>fuck me
>we get to hiking
>about halfway there we stumble across them.
>wtf how did we catch up to them
>they’re maybe 13-14. I was maybe 16 at the time
>pass them and haul ass to get decent tent spot
>we get there, set up camp, eat lunch, and take a nap by the time they roll in
>we took the best spot with a nice big fire pit and log to sit on
>scout masters gives us a look, but fuck em
>they basically form a ring around us, lol whatever
>we let them hang around our fire pit that night
>scout master send kids out to get fire wood
>forest was a no cut kinda thing so just what was on the ground
>kids come back with twigs and green leaves
>I had to hike about 2-300 yards upstream to find a cache of good wood and logs
>hack it up with a hatchet while all the kids watched as if I was a caveman
>scoutmaster try’s to teach them how to use a flint and magnesium striker to start fire
>they all are trying to hunch over their mini fires and scrape at arms length
>lol I go to my fire and scrape my magnesium into a ball of dead grass, light, and pick it up and set it in the fire pit gently
>scoutmaster hurries kids over to watch me
Basically the whole trip the kids learned nothing and were being helicoptered the whole time. I’m sure they had fun and all but you can do that without scouts. If I had a children involved in scouts I’d want them to actually learned something, not just be bussed around a trail then taken home.
>>
>>2713594
I grew up in a church that hosted multiple troops, and every Eagle scout I know no longer keeps any of the hobbies or skills that they worked on for their badges. I don't mean to disparage your experience, but it just made me think about the scouts that I know.

My parents never introduced me to the scout programs, not really sure why. I think my dad had a bad experience with the "Sea Cadets" that he was in as a kid, and maybe had a tainted view.

However; I love camping, outdoorsmanship, hiking, etc. I got into it as an adult, and it has been very fulfilling. A significant part of that is having a wife that enjoys it as much or more as I do, I'd guess. I even was super into reloading ammo and building my own bows and arrows for a time, until I realized that I enjoyed the math more than the mayhem that they produced.

All of this is to say that we can find a passion for the outdoors at any stage of life. I'm glad that you found it in the scouts, but I think a lot of people can also find it in a less organized form.
>>
>>2713171
go look at the 1911 scout handbook vs one of today.

1911:
>to get badge in thing: do the thing.

2024:
>to get badge in thing: do a 1000 word essay and research assignment on the health and safety concerns about doing thing. if you get time and your scout leader isn't on her rags and feels like it then you may watch her do the thing.
>>
>>2713310
Holy PTSD

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.