[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

#503- “Not A ManAss” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2721788

janny pls…

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
>respooling a reel
>a used spool of line that you have no idea how much line you got left
>it get just enough line before running out
Is there a better feel????
>>
>>2725389
>it’s underfilled but you convince yourself it’s fine
>>
bootie > boobie
>>
I sort of asked in the last thread, but are creek chub not a good bait for freezing/cut bait? Somebody suggested rainbow trout which I would do but there's none stocked around me
>>
File: 1701569588688070.jpg (891 KB, 1125x1103)
891 KB
891 KB JPG
>>2725394
trout are essentially baitfish, since most are stocked. no different than a feeder minnow from the bait shop. do not let pretentious trout fishermen convince you otherwise. they would have you believe that a deformed and diseased trout is the ultimate game fish. compare that to the humble creek chub. it can actually survive and doesn't need to be bred like a dog by humans. it doesn't die from being handled for 11 seconds. God created Creek Chub in his image. you never wondered why they call them Creek Chads?
>>
File: 1710044205934049.png (1.54 MB, 775x1379)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
My lure clipped a tall blade of grass when I was power casting my baitcaster. It's over.
>>
>>2725381
Yeah fuck rainbows, gay fish.
>>
>>2725411
>>2725435
I agree, but my area doesn't have any rainbow for me to catch and subsequently kill by looking at funny. I do call them communist fish since they require an insane amount of upkeep to keep populated (maybe I should call them tranny fish instead, kinda works with the rainbow part too). My more available bait is creek chub and I'm thinking just a handful of frozen ones for the year (5-10) since I don't go out that much.
>>
>>2725393
This is the path to homosexuality.
>start liking butts over boobs
>start liking twink butts
>start liking grown man butts
>congrats you are now gay
The natural state of men is to prefer boobs. Butts are pushed by the media as part of the gay agenda to keep white men from making white children.
>>
>>2725464
God tier knowledge.
>>
>>2725453
Yeah calling them tranny fish really suits them. Sometimes they are even blue and pink like that ugly flag. If you can't find them to cull fair enough. I would still look for another trash fish to exterminatus.
>>
File: IMG_1615.jpg (141 KB, 1000x764)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
What fish is everyone sleeping on for good eating?
My vote go to longnose gar. It’s basically lobster but nobody wants it.
>>
>>2725501
wtf is that thing, it lives on a river? kek
>>
>>2725501
Small mouth bass from a clean cold lake. They taste delicious and are healthy to boot.

>b-but muh sport fishing
Don't care.
>>
>>2725517
Hell yeah, brother. They are living fossils and scientists found out that the fish’s genomes are so static that groups whose last common ancestor lived during the time of the dinosaurs can produce fertile hybrids today.
Probably never needed to evolve because every living thing thought it was inedible.
>>
>>2725535
Look if you want to eat smallmouth bass, that’s your decision. Not gonna argue with a man who has bad taste.
>>
>>2725546
Every living thing so far...
>>
>>2725546
My boy Tucker told me evolution is just a theory and cannot be proven with current fossil records.
>>
>>2725535
I get dirty looks whenever I keep a bass lmao
>>
My fly rod is stuck tight in the middle and nothing seems to get it loose, is my only hope maybe casting it until it loosens after a session?
>>
I catch smallmouth bass and use it for dog food
Fuck bass fisher"men"
>>
>>2725657
Do that to largemouth too.
>>
>>2725644
In the future when you're setting up the rod try pushing it with a quarter turn when they start to resist. Then do the opposite to get to get it off.
Dunno how to get them unstuck. Good luck.
>>
File: 1714364419583.jpg (74 KB, 486x274)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
Thinking of carrying a gun. Which one do you guy guys recommend or use ?
>>
>>2725665
My 629 takes out smallmouth bass no problem. Got one with a 4" barrel to keep things challenging.
>>
>>2725668
Well, animals aren't my target. More like a self defense mechanism in case I wander off into the woods and i find a zodiac killer wannabe.
>>
>>2725671
Then you're in the wrong thread
>>
>>2725644
I use this technique. it works great.
https://youtu.be/aTXQCYSScJM?si=avy6IahY5ekJ_0Eh
:D
>>
>>2725501
Gar are some strange fish. Watching them snap at topwaters is a trip. They seem kinda dumb though, they will hit a hard bait like 5x before it hooks their thin little mouth.
>>
File: 20240418_073059.jpg (2.21 MB, 4032x3024)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>2725665
I carry a glock 17
Go to /k/
>>
>>2725665
Glock 43x MOS.
>>
>>2725665
Stainless steel .38 is good enough for two legged wildlife and will be less affected by the moisture. Get whatever’s decent in the used gun section of the local fun store.
>>
I bought an Okuma Avenger recently to get into catfishing but I fucked it up and got the regular spinning reel instead of the baitfeeder. Will this still work, or will I need the baitfeeder to do it effectively? I was hoping to deadstick the catfish rod and chase dinks nearby while I waited for bites. I opened the package before I realized my mistake so I can't send it back.
>>
>>2725852
Myself and most use a reels without feeders, you’ll be fine. Leave your drag a little looser and use a sturdy rod spike
>>
>>2725665
when i did all nighters at the city pier i carried a glock 42
>>
It's raining all day today and clearing up tonight. I want to collect some worms for fishing tomorrow, but I've never gotten them anywhere besides the store. any tips on the best way to do it? I heard they surface at night, especially after rain, so I was planning on going into the backyard with a headlamp. I don't know if this is a stupid question but I'd appreciate any advice.
>>
>>2725852
Bait runners are awesome but you don't need them desperately. You can either back off your drag and just carefully tighten back up when you're hooked up or leave your bail open with a clip of some kind to give a bite indication. I always put my rod into the holder and physically walk out to grab the line and test what a running fish will do. I like a drag light enough to put a bit of bend in the rod while puting almost no stress on the rod holder. It adds a bit of complication but it's far from unmanageable.
>>
>>2725895
After rain right after the sun goes down, walk slowly and gently and don't point the light right at them. You will be surprised how fast and strong they are. Pull gently it's very easy to rip them in half while they hole themselves in their hole but they Tire out after a few seconds and let go
>>
What is y'alls go to for foraging bait when you're already out by the water? When I go out I usually carry a smallish sling bag with me. I'll usually have some lures and artificials, but I prefer live bait. What's your first pick on collecting live bait when you're already out? And if you use tools to do it, I'd preferably like something compact enough to fit in my bag.
>>
File: IMaAG_01.jpg (108 KB, 720x960)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>2725941
i chum and use a cast net for for fin bait.
or i use sabikis on a float baited w shrimp
>>
>>2725941
Maybe one of those plastic food container. That's what I usually for sandcrab and that's the only thing I really forage when I go fishing on foot
For my kayak, I have a live well for Bair fish. However, for shore fishing, a bucket for bait fish is too much for me to haul around
>>
>>2725535
>muh sport fishing
Thankfully not a worry where I'm from, smallies are fucking invasive in the lake I'm going to be fishing tomorrow.
>>
does anyone have any recommendations for cheapish flies? I'm getting back into fly fishing after like 8 years and idk what flies are good or not
>>
>>2725968
Where/What are you fishing for?
>>
Regarding gar, my therapist and his son ate one a year ago. His son likes to eat what they catch, and his son, of course wanted to eat the gar he caught. My therapist tried discouraging him, but his brief online research suggested that it tastes like lobster. They grilled it, abs it did not taste like lobster. My therapist had a small bite which he spat out and then wiped his tongue off with a napkin. His son ate a whole bite but nothing more. They both said it was the worst thing they ever tasted and that it had the consistency of rubber. My therapist wasn't too specific on the taste, preferring more fanciful descriptions such as, "It tasted like ass. It tasted like ass with a sweaty sock in it." My therapist and his son will eat everything: largemouth, catfish, wipers, bluegill, etc. They love them all, but they will never again eat gar.
>>
my favorite species of gar is the nick gar
>>
>>2725852
You can use it just fine. In the future, I recommend the KastKing Sharky, which is the same price but better. I compared them side-by-side.
>>
Is casting effectively in tiny headwater streams for brook trout possible with a 9ft fly rod?
I have an Orvis Encounter 5wt but I’m unsure if I’d need something like a tenkara rod to catch small fry’s.
>>
>>2725970
>https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq
trout mostly, other river fish as well
>>
>>2725984
idk why i pasted the guide in here
>>
>>2725970
also new england
>>
>>2725985
>>2725986
>>2725968
I'd reccomend either having me tie you some or looking at reds flies.
>>
Any skup fishers?
>>
>>2726006
you should tie a fly thats shaped like a big penis, that way i can assert dominance over the fish by tricking them into sucking a dick
>>
>>2726032
I could probably make something happen if I got good at deer hair stuff
Bass would 100% munch it
>>
File: 32964981987198.jpg (25 KB, 668x749)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2725678
Holy hell it worked, but lord were they fucking tight. Even with tape, had to put on gloves to get a grip that could actually move it. Thanks for linking that anon, saved the skin on my hands.

>>2725660
I used to do that but got lazy over time. Honestly thought I'd worn my rod enough since it hasn't happened in a while.
>>
>>2726059
kek. i don't actually fly fish and was just making a joke, but you should do it anyway and then post pictures of the faggot fish you catch with it here
>>
What is the single most important piece of kit you can bring that isn't related to not dying or the actual catching of fish? Obviously rod, reel, bait/lures, and drinking water are essential for even having a trip, but what is the most important thing to make your trip more comfy/enjoyable?
>>
>>2726099
Knife or scissors are pretty important to carry.
I also carry sunscreen and bug spray as well as a pair of hemostats but they aren't essential.
>>
>>2726099
Gloves have come in handy a few times, or any not too thin rag to cover your hands if pulling on a bad snag with thin line that just wont break or pulling out tangles from pokey brush, or even dug in tangle piles from litterers.
>>
>>2726099
>flashlight
>bogagrip
>measuring board
>water shoes (if shore fishing)
>buff UPF rated facemask
>UPF rated sun hoody shirt
>UPF rated pants
No particular order. UPF clothing really is a lifesaver as a desert fisherman. I don't have to reapply sunscreen so much and with the buff + hoody + hat + sunglasses = makes my entire head protected.

And since my sun hoody is a thin material polyester, if I'm really hurting in the heat, I can just throw the entire shirt in the water and put it on. That's saved my ass a couple times doing my idiotic 8-12 mile shore fishing journeys.

Btw I hiked 12 miles today and didn't catch shit. Terrible day.
>>
File: 9874555.jpg (73 KB, 720x960)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2725967
how you cook smallies?
>>
>>2726124
man at least put them on ice
>>
are berkley choppos any good or should i stick to the whopper plopper? or are all ploppers a meme
>>
Any AZfags ever shorefish at Bartlett? I wanna give it a try, curious what is successful there.
>>
>>2726124
Those are largemouth. Filet and fry, or batter and deep fry. You better do something with them. Killed that big pregnant female.
>>
>>2725386
I don't even fish but at least once a month I get lured into this general because of the OP pics. The coom brain just gets snagged by the bait.
Keep it up you beautiful bastards.
>>
>>2726352
>that time they tried it with a dude
>>
>>2726352
I want the next one to be a fat hairy man now.
>>
>>2726069
You can stick them in the freezer for a few minutes too, if you have a chest freezer. I have to do it sometimes in the fall if it gets hot outside.
>>
>>2726272
The Googan Revolver is no bueno. The Choppo seems to be okay by all accounts. I'd try it out.
>>
File: 20220812_000222.jpg (1.36 MB, 2958x1757)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>2725386
My drum from 2 years ago is bigger
>>
Should my line be tight when fishing or lax?
Should I try to set when I feel the line being pulled or when I THINK the fish has it in its mouth? Because I feel nibbles 95% of the time
Do lures work in murky water? Because I've had no luck
>>
>>2726558
line should be tight as slack line makes bite detection bad and allows fish to swallow something before you can even react. setting the hook depends on the presentation. if you wait too long a fish can swallow it, but too soon and you can often pull it from them. yes, most lures work in murky water.
>>
>>2726558
>Should my line be tight when fishing or lax
Situational
>Should I try to set when I feel the line being pulled or when I THINK the fish has it in its mouth? Because I feel nibbles 95% of the time
Also situational, sometimes I hook fish on instinct but usually I like to know the fish is there first. Sometimes a nibble is a take, and hook sets tend to be free.
>Do lures work in murky water
Yes
Generally lures that make noise and or move water are generally better in murky water. Spoons, spinners, poppers, crankbaits, chatterbaits, and similar are good places to start. I got 20+ crappies on curly tail jigs in water with less than 18 inches of visibility yesterday. Would post pics but my phone was dead.
>>
Is there any reason why I shouldn't use many elastech for any soft plastic lure???
That shit just last forever
>>
>>2725841
NTA and probably not the right board but I've been debating a 38 or 357 since I could always load 38 in 357, but I don't want to spend the extra $3-400 right now
>>
>>2726754
I'll make it somewhat related and ask:
What's the scariest situation you've gotten into while fishing?
>>
>>2726756
Here are the scary moments I have encountered: the many times I've almost fallen in and getting close to living animals. The creepiest situation is when I got out of the water at dark. This was in an urban creek that I might be able to wade today. There were some people herding cats, a bunch of them. The guy had a weird look to him too. None of these situations were violent. Bearing arms is a good thing. However, it may not be necessary in your situation.
>>
>>2724957
Going back to this discussion since I thought of something else, but I'm also a bigger fan of places where there aren't boats (which tends to be rivers/streams or large ponds) since the forward facing faggot club can't googan squad their $180k financed boat onto every possible spot a bass could be
>>
I was given a 7’1 medium fast Croix victory for free today, it’s like brand new…
It is the lightest, softest tip rod I’ve held let alone owned (also most expensive)
What applications would this rod be best suited for, for bass fishing?
I was thinking smaller swim baits?
Like 2.7” - 3.25”
I want it to be a technique specific rod, as much as possible.
>>
>>2726754
Get .357, its worth it. Just know that after shooting .38 you may have to clean the cylinders before .357 will fit because the throat can get fouled with powder residue from the shorter cases.
>>2726756
My buddy and I were fishing and got charged by a buck. He was on us faster than I could get my pistol. Luckily he stopped just short (less than 10 feet) and trotted off.
>>2726810
Finesse stuff; tiny swimbaits, small weightless soft plastics, dropshots, etc.
>>
I caught a bunch of panfish on the fly rod in the creek again. It was a good time. I got a little wind knot in my tippet. Do I have to replace the tippet?
>>
>>2726874
Just above where the wind knot is. If it's a lot of tippet gone, liking reaching the start of the taper, consider buying some tippet rings. Pack is like 10 bucks but it'll keep the leader intact and it's better than more premade leaders unless you really need another. Just tie new tippet to the tippet ring from then on.
>>
File: nztrout.png (357 KB, 1022x570)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
I'd like to ask the author exactly why these 'wild' trout are so big .... is it just the wonder and excitement of NZ ... do they have better food ? .... are they mystic ?.... nope. They are stocked and fed every day .... please please please come up with a natural reason for multiple large fish in a relatively small body of water with a natural food supply... go on ... whoever is in charge ... please provide some explanation for you're blatant lies about your country's small rivers.(they choose small rivers 'cause they're easier to maintain a head of fish ... and it's easier for the idiots that part with 2-3k to travel to catch a big lab pet livestock trout) Someone should investigate NZ's 'wild' claims. I'm pretty sure 'wild' is misleading at best and downright fraudulant otherwise.
>>
Carp fly presentations, give me some recommendations. I have a 5 weight and lately when swimbait fishing I've been seeing 5 to 10 pound carp busting on the surface for the past 2 weeks in this same spot that I can easily cast a fly line towards, would love to see how these things fight on the fly.

Past 10 times I've gone fishing I keep forgetting my fly rod. I need to fucking stop that. Want to swimbait + fly fish at the same time now.
>>
>>2726874
I forgot to add that when I was walking out, I scared a woman. I was coming out of a tunnel near student housing. This young woman in neon was running towards me. I was wearing a school cap and waders, and I was carrying my rod and a ski pole which serves as a wading staff. I wasn't dragging the ski pole like a horror movie villain, but once she saw me, she ran the opposite direction. Based on her direction and proximity to the student housing, I am very confident my presence is the reason she turned around. It was also getting dark, but still, it was kind of fun. This must be what it's like to be a black man.
>>
File: 20220704_173458.jpg (2.49 MB, 3264x2448)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
>>2726904
>carp busting on the surface
Those fish are probably not catchable in that state. Carp do just jump out of the water for the sake of it sometimes, but unless you can find them actively feeding you're probably not going to catch it with a fly rod.
With your expectations properly tempered, carp flies vary wildly. My personal favorite is a creation of my own I call the backwards bug, it's basically a small foxy clouser with rubber legs (ice tied up to a size 4 and down to a size 10)
Other options include soft hackles and nymphs with bead chain or dumbell eyes to ride hook point up, cottonwood seeds, I've had them rise for terrestrial patterns, people tie mulberry flies and crawdad flies. Bonefish flies can work. Worms, rabbit strip things, It's hard for me to reccomend patterns other than the ones I tie because I kinda just go off and do my own thing.
>pic semi related, a heavy daddy bugger
I tied that one for smallies but any carp that would eat a crawdad would absolutely munch this fly.
>>2726874
You definsteky need to cut and re tie something. If it's a small wind knot, cut either side of the knot off close and toe the sections back together. If it's just in the tippett it's easy enough to cut and re tie
>>2726888
Tippett rings are gay as hell
They do what they say they do, sure, but they're so gay. A loop to loop connection does nigh the same thing and once it seats it's way sleeker, I actually change musky flies that way. Theres a foot of wire tied to all of my flies and I use a loop to loop on 40lb mono to change flies.
>>
>>2725386
Basic west coast surf/rocks fishing setup? Right now I'm looking at a 9" salmon/steelhead rod (for things in the surf like perch and stripers. Also steelhead and salmon when the season opens again) and 7" medium heavy rod (would use for rockfish, lingcod, maybe halibut, it seemed to be the popular choice of rod at the local pier).
Also line and reel size combination recommendations would be appreciated
>>
My university is next to and owns a portion of forest with a nice size lake in it. I've been wanting to fish it just to see what's in it but campus is closed because of protests and university pd are anal about it. Thinking of going to fish it anyway. There should be at least trout
>>
I saw some huge carp last fall, but they always hold right under a low head dam. Any tips for targeting carp in fast current?
>>
Finally ordered my first rod. Excited.
>>
>>2727433
Congrats, Anon! What did you get?
>>
>>2727449
Thanks brother. I got this right here. >>2724561
Gonna pick up some Powerbait and some trout lures. I'm in the east coast, do I wanna get lures on the smaller side or the bigger side?
>>
>>2727468
>I'm in the east coast
you should be throwing cut bait into the surf, freshwater fishing is for girl scouts
>>
>>2727468
I'm a phone fag and had a little trouble finding the post. For everyone else, it's a Daiwa Presso 4 piece 6'6" UL. I bought the same thing but am still waiting on it. Daiwa's containers have not made it to the US anywhere close to on-time.
>>
>>2727501
Yeah I ordered mine from a popular airsoft site from all places
>>
>>2727215
9’ light or medium light rod with a lure rating somewhere around 1oz at the top, but light enough it can throw about 2/3oz for LC110s. Phenix Trifecta Lite and Okuma Rockaway are pretty popular. I got a Daiwa Saltist Westcost 902 medium light paired with a Fuego 3000 that I really enjoy for surf fishing. 20-30lb braided mainline, your leader can be anywhere from 6-12lb.
>>
>trying to figure out saltwater kit
>hmm maybe i should try that /out/ thread with the titties
>first post I read is shitting on trout faggots
I've come to the right place
>>
>>2727515
depending on specifics you'll probably want an 8 or 10 weight, and youll probably wind up with a floating or intermediate line. what salt water do you plan on fishing?
>>
>>2727468
small lures. 1/8oz is a good weight for lures when it comes to that rod.
>>
>>2727554
Thanks brother
>>
someone please explain to me how bass tournaments are fun. I fish for bass often, so I'm not a bass hater, it's just that the tournments seem really fucking dumb. 99% of the time they don't even catch a fish over 3lbs. obviously the point is to have the most combined weight on a fish limit, but I'm not seeing how catching dozens of fish and keeping 5 2pounders is considered fun when you can literally just leisure fish and do the same thing. and no... it's not about the money either, because all these local small tournaments have like a $250 prize which most of the time won't even pay for the gas you burned.
>>
>>2727558
I imagine it's for the competitive aspect of it
>>
Is Tenkera fly fishing Based or Cringe?
>>
>>2727597
Fly fishing is cringe. Yes
>>
>>2727597
yes
>>2727598
so is using 4chan
>>
>>2727599
Ok, and being a namefag is a greater evil than both.
>>
File: maxresdefault-3.jpg (168 KB, 1280x720)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>2727537
>10 weight
No clue what that means.
I just got an inshore boat for mid-Atlantic targeting anything big worth eating. Figure that means jigging and trolling as well as casting on structure and oyster beds. I've got 4000 and 8000 series spinning rods. I've been reading up on 50 series conventional reels wondering if they're more durable and something I can grow into as I gain experience and eventually buy a proper offshore cc.
>>
>>2727597
based
>>2727601
based
>>
Fish noob here.

When buying split shots and weights for fishing, are lead weights still in wide use, do I have to specifically ask for non-lead weights? Are they clearly marked as such on the package?
>>
>>2727697
Lead weights are generally considered acceptable. Where do you live?
>>
Any Florida bros with experience on the west coast can recommend some bait and tips? I've tried worms and shrimp and all I get is pinfish which I've also used as bait and all they get is other pinfish. I've also caught some puffers like twice. No luck with bigger fish even though they jump over the water while I'm actively throwing.

I've tried that Gulp spray on some lures but even less luck.
>>
>>2727697
They are labeled normally. I go with tin reusable splitshot or titanium dropshot.
>>
>>2727215
Check out the Okuma SST rods, I use it on the rocks to target rockfish, Lings, and cabs. I have the SST-C-902 Ha model, it’s 9’ , and rated for 1oz to 6oz, it feels really light and it’s strong enough to bring up keeper Cabezon up cliffs. I have set up paired with a Daiwa Lexa 300 with 40lb braid, if you don’t use a baitcaster I’m sure they have a spinning version. If you’re looking for a cheaper SST rod check out the Daiwa North Coast line. If your looking for a spinning set up for rockfishing I recommend the Offshore Angler Power Stick, you can get them at the bass pro website, the one I have is the PSTS912202 9’ Medium, I have this one paired with a Daiwa BG 4000 with 40lb braid. I like this set up more for rockfishing, the rod does not feel as sensitive as the Okuma SST but it feels more durable, and the spinning reel casts and handles the wind much better. With both setups I mostly throw soft plastics, I do a weedless Texas right with a 1oz egg sinker and 3-0 EWG hook and paddle that’s either 3.5” or 4”, or some sort of 5” curly tail grub. With the Power Stick I will also sometimes throw squid on a high-low rig with a 3oz river sinker
>>
File: ALEWIFE.jpg (43 KB, 1500x446)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>Go fishing with a friend near a dam at 5 in the morning
>catch several brown trout with a spincaster with 10 lb line while hes skunked with a baitcaster and 30 lb braded line
>friend eventually babyrages and decides to cut our fishing trip short
>He says we need to find a new spot because he couldnt catch anything
>decide to come back several hours later to catch even more fish with my "inferior rod" to prove him wrong
>burn $35+ losing the exact same spinners, jerk bait, weights and line I lost in the morning

Of course I plan to go back there eventually with waiters to get my shit back but its fucking stupid how the same shit I used to absolutely mog my friend's skunked morning is completely useless after several hours and a few inches of a tide difference.

I plan to fish near richmond next week and I need rigs and tips for fishing at a high current freshwater area in the northeast. I have a Lews 7'0, medium-heavy power, fast action rod that supports 8-17lb of line and 3/16 to 3/4 oz lure. I dont mind saving for a better rod/equipment to catch some steelhead or stocked salmon.
>>
>>2727712
I also understand that it's way to early in the season to try it but it doesn't hurt to practice and scout for places up and down vermont
>>
>>2727215
I would something like an 8 ft rod. 9 ft is too cumbersome imo for light tackle surf fishing in the west coast. The extra distance is barely noticeable for the extra top heavy weight
I use an 8 ft MH teramar inshore rated from 1/2 - 1.5 oz(southeast model specifically) for surf fishing and shore fishing. It's slightly heavy for the surf bit it still cast LC110 perfectly. However it is more flexible because it can fishing the jetty better with the extra power as I have to flip fishes up the jetty and pull fishes away from rock/structure as well as using heavier lures when the current is really moving hard. If you mostly fish surf then a M model (rate up to 1 oz) might feel better.
As the other anon said, trifecta lite is a very popular option. Daiwa saltist west coast surf seem to be very good option as well if you want something a bit cheaper.
Imo, pier fishing is pretty shit in California. You don't really expect big game fish like Hali because the pier are overfished as fuck so you mostly get mackerel and sometimes shark and rays. Therefore, for pier, you either just go with your surf tackle fishing for mackerel and maybe Bonito or go full heavy tackle for shark fishing if that is what you want to do
>>
>>2727715
Also, this is specifically for my need and the place I fish. I don't need to cast far for the beach I fish because the structure is well within a short casting distance. Also, for the jetty, the longer rod can be a benefit as well. It help you reach out further to clear the rock but it can also hinder clearance when casting and make transversing the jetty slightly more difficult. I never fish for stripers and rockfish for shore as I am in so cal so make decision based on the spot you fish in your local area
>>
>>2727712
wonder if maybe he got skunked because his line was too big and too visible. 30lb braid seems like a retarded level of overkill for trout or most freshwater fish.
>>
>>2727717
Nah bro you don't understand, to quote him the line is "engineered to function like mino because it's thinner than the typical stuff but I won't pack extra line anyways because you should lmao my baitcaster is more than enough even though I don't know how to cast with it"

Anyways I'm looking for advice on fast current semi deep freshwater. There's not a lot of options in my area outside of lake Champlain.
>>
>>2727721
unfortunately I don't know enough about gear (other than knowing you should probably try to use the thinnest, least visible line that you can get away with lol) to offer any advice, sorry anon.
I'm sure you'll get an answer soon though, people in these threads are very helpful in my experience.
>>
>>2727602
8 or 10 weight is referring to fly fishing line weights, so probably not what you're looking for since you mentioned spinning reels
>>
>>2727717
unless you're targeting large river fish (e.g. catfish) with bait, I'd agree 30# braid is overkill. I like 10# braid since it's thinner and longer lasting than any other type of line at that strength so further casts, more line on spool, less re-spooling, few line twists/problems, etc but not overkill for most situations. Also if the visibility is a concern, just tie a leader.
>>2727712
>>2727713
I'm not sure if you buy into this stuff at all (I'm not even sure I buy into it yet) but there's websites/apps that have the times when fish are most likely to bite based on lunar and solunar patterns. I know FishAngler has it (better free version of fish finder). But even ignoring that, I think there are just times when they're feeding on anything and everything and times when they want something specific, which sucks. For scouting a new spot, I'd maybe suggest live bait of some kind, like worms, since it's a universal, natural food for freshwater fish. If nothing bites a worm on a hook, in my opinion, that spot isn't worth much
>>
>>2727717
>>2727721
Baitcaster with braid simply isn't really the gear for trout. It is good for bass or bigger game fish that go after bigger/heavier lure. Trout fishing usually involves smaller/lighter lures or bait
>>
Any tips on targeting carp in the backwaters of rivers? I'm thinking some bait (bread or power bait) on a small hook sitting on the bottom with my reel bail open. I can see the carp swimming around and I think eating (doing that thing with their mouth) but I've never caught one and don't know the simplest way to target them
>>
File: 1712037489653.jpg (1.31 MB, 1236x1653)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
It's over
>>
>>2727699
California, but it's not the legality I'm worried about. It's the environmental impact it could have.

>>2727707
I'll look for those. Thank you.
>>
>>2727807
How do you even tie lead weights to your line?
>>
>>2727810
They have little eyelets you're supposed to string the line though and secure in place with a knot.
>>
>>2727812
I have split shots, I do not see any eyelets just triangular divots.
>>
File: 20240504_104122.jpg (180 KB, 672x904)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>2727741
Yeah I think he got that from some fishing yt channel and didn't consider that fish have eyes and can see shit. Mostly just clowning on him since he's kind of a smart ass in post topics despite being a complete stoner everywhere we go.

As for the apps I can't really rely on it since they only focus on popular spots and tourist traps (like the salmon hole in winooski) and I hardly get any cell service outside of my county.

This specific place I plan on going to is infamous for killing some teenagers a few years ago due to the high current and choppy waters so no one swims there. I'm thinking I could probably get away with catching something, but I've never had any experience with this kind of fishing outside of dams and weirs, and I don't want to find some video of an angler with a complete different situation tell me what to do.

Picrel is one of the two brown trout I caught that morning, are these kind of fish expected in deep, high current conditions? And could I find steelheads and salmon there or do I need to reconsider this upcoming trip?
>>
>>2727813
The weights I've see are little balls with an attached eyelet. Like one of those kettlebells weightlifters use, but much much smaller.
>>
>>2727813
Yeah, split shots just crimp over the line. I've been trying to reduce the amount of lead tackle I use too, because I don't like the idea of buying something that coats neighborhoods in lead vapors during manufacture (if you live near the Water Gremlin Foundry, you know), and they did find a loon with lead poisoning and a gizzard full of dropshot weights on a lake near me (even if the lead was probably ingested in the wintering grounds in Louisiana instead of Minnesota), but the split shot alternatives kind of suck, because most of the cheap heavy metals are not anywhere near as maleable as lead. They do sell tin split shot, but you basically need to crimp them with pliers instead of with your fingers, and they're also bigger for a given weight and very shiny. When I use the tin splitshot, I find that I get way more panfish strikes against the splitshot than I do when I've got lead on.

What I've ended up doing for my ice fishing combos is using black painted tungsten beads above the swivel, and I'm using black painted brass Carolina rigging to replace the splitshot presentation on my panfish poles, but that isn't nearly as convenient as splitshot for where you might want to change the weight for presentation reasons or switch to a jig or switch to a spoon or whatever, so I recognize that for a bank fisher or guy in a kayak who probably doesn't have 4+ rods in the boat, it's not viable yet.

What I don't get is why no one hasn't made a lead free version of the old rubber-core style sinkers. I know that the rubber rots in just a couple years rendering them useless and I hated them when I was a kid using whatever old garbage tackle I could garage sale, but it seems like these could fix the convenience issue of non-lead splitshot alternatives, because you don't need to crimp them or use bobber stops or whatever.
>>
>>2727825
forgot picture.
>>
>>2727708
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into the Daiwa North Coast and will try out those rigs the next time I'm out
>>
>>2727814
>Yeah I think he got that from some fishing yt channel
Thats where I got the 30lb braid idea for my medium heavy rod for river and stream fishing.we must have watched the same shill
>>
>>2727715
>>2727716
Thank you. So from what I'm getting, a 8" to 9" medium heavy rod is a good all around rod for surf and rocks?
I have half of a Lamiglas 9" MH salmon/steelhead float + drift rod rated up to 1oz. Once I can get the other half, would this fitting for all around or just surf?
>I am in so cal so make decision based on the spot you fish in your local area
I am in nor cal, so the pier fishing is decent in the the bay area and almost good in the north coast where I am for most of the year (seen a guy pull up a keeper ling two weeks ago)
>>
>>2727860
Just from my experience.
Fishes like rock fishes and Ling cod take a long time to grow and usually stay around the same rocky area so they have little chance to exist around fishing pier where it is easily accessible and heavily fished and harvested, especially without needing a fishing license. Maybe the pier in your area is different.
Lamiglass rod is not really my preference because it is a glass rod and not quite that versatile for lure fishing due to lack of sensitivity, especially in the surf where you have to deal with he churning surf or rock fishing where you want to quickly feel the bite and get fishes out of of structure quickly. If you already have one on hand then just use it to get started
>>
>>2725665
I've always carried a Ruger Sp101 snubby. It's small enough to carry any time, it's heavy enough to be used as a club, it's solid steel that is very corrosion resistant around saltwater, and .357 is a good enough handgun caliber to deal with the majority of aminals.
>>
>>2727712
Unrelated, but do I need to add any weights or powerbait for a better chance to catch something? I don't know if it's not sinking deep enough or if its too big for the fish in my area.
>>
>>2727860
If you’re in the Bay Area and get the chance take a day trip to the Fort Ross/Salt Point area, there is a lot of great rockfishing around there, or anywhere north of Jenner. Also I recommend checking out the fish legal app so you don’t accidentally fish a Marine Protected Area.
>>
Real seggs
>>
>>2727939
what's the point of having two reel handles?
>>
>>2727825
The problem with tungsten, hopefully the questioner sees this, is that it is even worse for the environment, supposedly. I'm not well-versed in this subject. In Spain, they use chunks of concrete or rocks instead of lead. Using lead in fishing is inescapable in certain types of fishing. If you want to avoid lead, avoid those styles. I use lead. There is this one Irish guy who travels to Norway for halibut. He has this rig that makes it really easy for the lead to fall off while fighting the fish. That's distasteful in my opinion. Although, we are talking about the ocean, so I shouldn't care.
>>
File: 20240504_193441.jpg (1.74 MB, 2944x2208)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
First bass of the season (canada)
>>
>>2727701
Bump
>>
File: 1694502746501.jpg (643 KB, 1439x2870)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>2727814
>for the apps I can't really rely on it since they only focus on popular spots and tourist traps
I was referring to the "fishing forecast" (based on solunar and lunar phases) rather than the user submitted spots. Pic related is available on fish angler. I've started paying a little more attention to it the past few times and have noticed a difference in bites during and not during the "good periods", but it could be total coincidence too
>>
>upper half of rod breaks
>there are no replacements anywhere
its over
>>
>>2728104
>>2727805
This was me and my current solution was:
>file down the ends of the pieces where it broke off
>find a nail/rod/something sturdy that fits snugly in the hole
>super glue the holes and insert nail at least an inch into each side
>attach them
>tie braided line to the rod and wrap it around where they join a bunch of times
>tie off the braid and trim excess
>cover the braid wrap in super glue
my rod broke near the tip so I probably could have just shortened it and re-attached a different tip, but I think my method could be applied to any location on the rod
>>
>>2728077
Sir that fish was caught out of season. It is a criminal offence to post fish caught out of season online. Fine and license suspension incoming.
>>
>>2728104
Just get a new rod anon. The rod will never feel the same if you somehow fix it
>>
>>2728144
I was pike fishing
Let it go as soon as I took the photo
>>
Love me white spinner
good day? toss the spinner and make it better
bad day? toss the spinner and finally land some fish
Never fails to let me explore a lake and also land some quality fish
>>
Got to test out my Daiwa double clutch today. The salmon trout and bream absolutely fucking love it, lads. I'm a believer now.
>>
>>2728085
> believing this horoscope-tier shit
>>
>>2727907
Suspending jerkbaits are tuned to be fished at a specific depth when you retrieve it, no weight necessary. It also mimics a baitfish so there’s no need to add powerbait.
>>
Do sites generally have sales before bass opening in late June (Ontario)
Or will US sites have sales before whenever the US season opens?
Want a new reel, looking at the new Tatula mq lt but don’t really want to spend 270 leaf bucks on it, I’d be willing to spend 200 if a sale arises
>>
I wanna go fishing tomorrow
gonna ride my motorbike a few km up the beach and go fishing and drink som beers
>>
>>2728321
Those big brand reels rarely go on sale. Even during sale period, stores sometimes exclude those brands as well. Usually, they only go on big sale if they release a new model of a series.
American store mostly goes on sale in holiday such as 4th of July, labor day, black friday.
>>
Anyone here crab snare? Whats your setup?
Mine is some cheap 7" heavy trolling rod and an old but reliable Ryobi Catcher 4m with 40lb mono. Looking at a Master Power 6000 12' rod on sale for $30 to upgrade for better casting distance for the beach since the piers in my area only give undersized Dungeness and maybe a keeper red rock croc
>>
>>2728327
no invite? sounds fun :D
>>
>>2728439
I used the Okuma Crab Snare Special rod and a Quantum Reliance 65 reel with 50lb braid, the set up served me well this season, it’s casts 6oz to 10oz really well and I even casted 12oz with it. I also had a Daiwa BG 5000 and a 12’ Daiwa Beef Stick rod and I ended up liking the Okuma/Quantum set up more. What snares are you using?
>>
>>2728321
Peterborough Pro Tackle usually has a spring sale that includes rods and reels, you may have missed it already. Pretty sure Cabela's has tatulas on sale regularly.
>>
>>2728646
use regular tackle shop-bought snares. I have the cube and rectangle cages. However, I like to change the loops so they stand up rather than flop to the ground
>>
do bass see braid color
>>
>>2725665
I think I want to move up to a .45, I want to put 'em down in one round
>>
>>2728920
>I want to put 'em down in one round
Read up on FBI gunfight statistics, all the way up to 12 gauge the statistics are that one round doesnt stop a fight so even if you found a way to EDC a shockwave with slugs youd still want to train double taps. I like m yh glock 17 because I can bill drill 3 guys before I have to reload, or i can Mozambique 6 guys
>>2728887
Yes but unless the fish are super high pressure in super clear water it really doesnt matter, and even then it doesnt matter as much as you think it does.
>>2728327
How'd it go?
>>2728259
Muskie catch rates go up o 5% on a full moon and fish absolutely respond to barometric pressure.
>>2728239
Hella
>>2727748
Carp are easy. Go to walmart, buy a can of great value corn, go to the fishing section, find split shot and a pack of #4 or #6 bait holder hooks, then go to the river.
Grab a fist full of corn and throw it in the water (assuming it's legal in your area, some places prohibit chumming) and while that's soaking tie on your bait holder hook and affix a split shot 18 inches up from there. Thread corn on kernel by kernel until you've covered the entire hook, I like to put so many it's starting to get on the line too. Gently lob it in to the corn field and wait.
>>
>>2728952
>Carp are easy.
this is the general method I've seen and I already have all the supplies for it. any duration of time you'd say is good to give a spot before trying somewhere else? 20 minutes?
>>
>>2728970
20 or 30 minutes yeah
>>
File: IMG_6180.jpg (2.46 MB, 2483x3173)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>2725386
Fucked up the new honey hole today gentlemen. Left the biggest, prettiest and fattest to breed, so these are the middle men. Accidentally harvested a girl, which made me very sad. But her roe fed some of my pet fish so it’s ok
>>
>>
How do you guys prefer to cook Bluegill and other Bream without Frying them? I think their delicious, but I'm getting tired of deep fried and wat to try something new. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2729030
Nice bluegills. Panfish are so much fun. Good on you for being ethical.
>>
>>2729042
Could try scoring them and grilling them or the trusty wrap in tin foil with butter and garlic salt.
>>
>>2729030
second from top the female?
>>
File: IMG_6177.jpg (2.33 MB, 4032x3024)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>2729043
It was my first time fishing that pond. Which is funny since it is not two blocks away from the house. But I wanted to insure that going into this spawn at least there was some good genes.

>>2729042
My favorite is pan frying in butter after coating in brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, and freshly diced green onion. Good stuff. Have also made stir fry, cooked over a fire, fish balls/crap cakes, in gumbo. There really isn’t a bad way to cook sunnies and other panfish.

Pic is a hybrid from the same pond today.
>>
File: IMG_6170.jpg (2.65 MB, 4032x3024)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
>>2729062
Nope, the second to the bottom. You can tell she’s Gracie just by looking at her belly. No idea how I didn’t catch it till she was on the gill spike.

Biggest gill I caught at the pond
>>
It finally happened, I hooked a snapping turtle and didn't have anything to get the hook out without risking a finger. What am I supposed to do in these circumstances? I had to leave it in and now I feel really bad about it.
>>
File: IMG_1861.jpg (2.92 MB, 5712x4284)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>2728870
Good move on changing the loops on the store bought snares anon, some of those snares have really poor quality or loops placed in weird positions, some of the store bought ones can also have cages with really thin wire that will bend over time and eventually break. I’m in Northern California and there is a bunch of people making and selling quality snares around here, I recommend looking up Vivid Snares, Ken Crab Slayer Snares, Hella Crabs snares, and Crabber Grabber snares. My favorite is Vivid snares because it glows in the dark and during winter I’ll do a lot of crabbing in the dark and the glowing snares helps see where I casted, it also has a cool weight that digs into the sand that helps keep it in place, and the squares on the cage aren’t that big so the crabs won’t steal your squid as often and they will have to stick around for longer trying to get squid and this will give more opportunities to snare one . Pic related is vivid snares
>>
>>2729083
odds are he'll be fine, those fuckers are crazy resilient
he knows you didn't mean it
>>
>>2728887
I have never really noticed a difference between braid and flouro when bass fishin except for the flouro and mono being more of a pain to use.

LMB are pretty dumb. I read into this some years ago, and some fish really go after visual stuff, some go for noises/vibration, some go for smells. And their vision isn’t the same as ours. Bass hunt with sight and vibration/sound, but as far as the sight goes, they focus on movement and contrast, neither of which is much of a factor with moss green braid. The contrast thing is interesting to think about, it explains why black and purple work well on the bottom of muddy ponds, the dark color moving around somehow shows up well against the brown background and stands out across some distance in murky water compared to lots of other colors.
>>
I could use some advice on this one bros…. Idk why I always run into the craziest shit I don’t bother no one all I do in my free time is fish. I clean up trash when I do. I’m respectful to everyone anywhere I go. I keep to myself. I help others when the opportunity arises. I don’t understand why this sort of shit always happens to me
>Go to small pier (15’x6’) with ocean access on a huge channel
>Get there at 8am
>old man shows up few hours later, he takes the opposite side, we shoot the shit a bit mostly keep to our selves
>jetskiers show up
>channel is huge, goes on for miles north and south with inlets letting out to the ocean, probably like half a mile wide
>they have to be right on top of us
>keep zooming back and forth on our lines
>main one is a fat fuck who keeps stopping right on top of my lines to do donuts and cackle out loud, his boyfriends don’t do donuts but speed back and forth right over our lines
>all of them were around mid 30s, they knew better and it was 100% intentional the way this fat retard would cackle and look back at me as he goes maybe 500 feet north before turning back to do it again
>all the space in the world for them to do this shit but they had to do it right on our lines
>boat cop shows up after the 5th time doing his donuts, bitches them out tells them to fuck off gives them a warning
>they slowly come back over
>fatty sits there trying to stare me down looking infuriated as if I called the cops and he didn’t just get caught being a bitch
>as soon as cop is out of sight he starts splashing again, but then fucks off for good
Even the old man randomly said it seemed intentional. He also said he wished he had a weighted treble hook on him lol

What do I do in this sort of situation? I don’t own a gun but if I did and had a CC would it be justifiable to simply pull it out and place it on the wall in front of me for them to see? It’s bullshit. I lost fish because of this faggot I was getting hits.
>>
>>2729210
Honestly, if I had a weighted treble hook or any lure I didn’t mind losing and I decided to cast and hook this loser what do I do after? I assume he’d be pissed. Do I just stay and laugh while he starts bitching? Do I leave immediately? I’m genuinely asking because I may actually do this if something like this happens again.
>>
>>2729205
i like to line watch when jig fishing so i use yellow/chartreuse lines but i'm shit at tying leaders together
>>
>>2729219
>>2728887
Nta but I experimented this year and I do believe a flouro leader makes a difference. I suck at fishing though and it’s hit or miss I get a bite, can only seem to catch on senkos and plastic flukes. So take my experience with a grain of salt. Like, I can’t catch shit on a crank bait or a swimbait.
If you use top waters with heavy cover (duck weed & lily pads) leader isn’t necessary IMO.

High vis yellow I stopped using entirely.
I now use either grey or camo brown.

Learn the Alberto /Albright knot. It’s strong and very easy to tie. Practice it a dozen or so times so you can do it whenever, then you get better faster the more you tie it.

I would just avoid FG knots entirely for now, master one you can rely on (for LMB Alberto or Albright will be strong enough you’re not gonna catch a 25lb bass lmao). And then if you get it I catching bigger shit maybe learn the FG.
>>
>>2729213
Nothing you can do realistically without going to jail. Jet ski's are the bane of all anglers. It's the only watercraft made specifically for drunk assholes. Maybe lobby the city or county to put in an exclusion area and mark with buoys, assess fines. They are the worst though, it's like they can't have fun unless someone else is being tormented by their jackassery.
>>
>>2729247
I don’t think I would have gone to jail if I immediately left. But yeah now I understand why people hate them so much and why boaters will fuck with them. Boaters can be assholes too but it’s never anything like this shit.
I’m going to rig up a couple weighted treble hooks with steel leaders and snap swivels so I can quickly use them should this crap happen again. I think worst case it’s just
>oops I’m sorry why’s you get so close to where I was casting what were you even thinking haha
>>
>>2729083
they can't really bite you if you have your pliers on the hook. just gotta grab the hook and you're basically controlling their head at that point. I always carry some small side cutters/bolt cutters and cut the hook right below the barb if I hook something that's tough to get unhooked. also good to have if you ever get a hook through your own finger, it's the much easier way. alligator snappers aren't as risky as common snappers, common snappers have way more range of motion with their neck, and they're faster.
>>
I was bass fishing and wasn't catching anything but dinks, so I decided to throw on the trusty mepps and catch some panfish. start reeling in a bluegill and a pretty big bass(probably close to 5lbs) starts chasing it right up to my kayak. let the bluegill stay in the water for a little longer to see what happens. the bass thinks about striking it multiple times, coming up to it really aggressively multiple times not even worried about my kayak. that would have been a good glide bait day I guess..
>>
>>2729210
now try being in a kayak, clearly heading right to a specific spot a couple dozen yards away, and a bass boat flies past you and parks it right in that spot like he had no idea that's where you were going. luckily however, those fuckers have tunnel vision on their livescopes and forgot how to fish the general area and instead just drop it in one spot below their boat so they usually don't ctch jack shit. they move further down the bank, I pull up, catch the fish they missed because I'm actually covering water, and they get to sit there and watch me reel in fish while they get skunked with $50+k worth of gear.
>>
>>2729030
Have you tried Crappie. Like bluegills on steroids and they are easy to clean and taste great. Whenever I try for bluegills I always end up catching Crappie instead.
>>
>>2729247
For me, it’s Wake Surfing boats.
>>2729213
3 oz Kastmasters are cheapish, fly like bullets, and give you plausible deniability compared to a snagging rig treble on a bite leader, lmao.
>>
File: IMG_6109.jpg (2.32 MB, 4032x3024)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>>2729285
I have tried once or twice, but no luck yet. They are the freshwater fish that eludes me.
>>
File: 1000011320.jpg (1.76 MB, 2160x3840)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
Caught my very first catfish yesterday. Nothing giant, a Channel cat that was maybe a couple of pounds tops. I love the way these things fight, I think I'm addicted now. Caught them on liver.
>>
>>2729269
It’s the same shit with bank fishing with guys who aren’t real fishers and don’t know what they’re doing. You could have a lake that’s several miles in circumference and it just be you and then one group of guys fishing like 1000 feet away, but the second they see you bring in a fish they’ll come running over to fish right where you were.

No matter the circumstance of spot stealing you always hear the same bullshit cope.
>No one owns the water
Which to me has become a covert way of saying “I suck at fishing and have little to no common sense to figure out what I’m doing or respect for anyone”

>kayaks
I wanna get one. And I know that when I do I’m gonna run into the type of asshole who causes wake just to try and knock me over. I may actually hurt someone if that happened considering the water where I’d take it is full of gators. Idk why it’s so hard for people to just enjoy themself without trying to fuck anyone else over. It takes more effort to be a dickhead (often with no benefit btw) whether you’re stealing their spot or moving to fish their hole while they’re there or doing whatever other bullshit
>>
File: file.png (58 KB, 370x814)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but could I (as in, would it be recommended to) put an o-ring at the end of this rig and attaching it with a snap clip? That way I can swap it out with other rigs or lures if I wanted to
>>
>>2729341
my clip is before the weight
>>
>>2729341
Yes, but use a barrel swivel rather than an o-ring. Has 2 connection points for main line and leader and also mitigates line twist.
>>
>>2729341
Why wouldn’t you just tie the line to the clip?

Also protip, you can turn a swivel clip into just a normal clip if you cut the swivel. You only need the clip part and it makes it a little lower profile, keeps bait from twisting around.

I don’t think I understand what you’re asking if you’d be so kind as to edit your drawing
>>
File: rig.png (52 KB, 370x814)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>2729353
>>2729356
I see, thanks for the help! I didn't think about getting a barrel swivel, that's a good idea.

>>2729359
Sure, see attached.
>>
>>2729361
Yeah people normally would use a swivel. That way you can have a handful of different rigs ready to go. Just attach the swivel to the clip and you’re good. Idk why I thought you meant you wanted to attach the clip at the bottom of the leader and somehow attach hooks and lures to the o ring.

What I’ve been doing is just attaching the clip to the end of my leader but honestly I think it’s fucking with fish biting what I throw because it makes it seem too unnatural I may switch to what you’re mentioning here.
>>
>>2729210
>>
>>2729210
>if I did and had a CC would it be justifiable to simply pull it out and place it on the wall in front of me for them to see

No, brandishing is illegal. Legally the only time your gun comes out is to shoot someone.

In practice yeah you can do it.
>>
>>2729361
You could do that if you're never gonna fish deeper than the clip. Kind of defeats the purpose of a slip bobber though. Could just use a clip on one for that.
>>
What size circle hook would you guys recommend for catching catfish? I'm not chasing trophies, just 2-5 pound channels and blues to put on the table mostly. I'm still learning the ins and outs of catfishing.
>>
>>2729341
>>2729361
Just know that sets a maximum depth for your slip float rig which kinda negates the point if using a slip bobber, and a random tag of line is a bullshit thing to try and contain and manage.
I think youd be better off either putting the snap near the split shot, then attaching or removing a short leader (look in to "snelled hooks", I tend to snell my own but store bought works)
>>
>>2729408
3/0 or 4/0 octopus circles will do you fine, and still give you a fighting chance if a double digit fish finds your bait. And even with a 3/0 hook you can still catch surprisingly small fish.
>>
I bought a 6'6" medium heavy gx2 and I have only made a few casts with it but I think I unironically like it
>>
>>2729364
>>2729395
>>2729410
I see, yeah that makes sense. Guess I should suck it up and manually change things out for now until I get a second set-up going
>>
>>2729472
Yep, my float rod just stays rigged and I bring another for casting lures. It's really nice to not have to re-tie.
>>
>>2729464
Anything specifically you like about it over a different medium heavy? or just in general?
>>
angling for perch tomorrow
havent been angling for well over a decade
earthworms still the best bait?
>>
>>2729310
did he growl at you? :3
>>
>>2729616
He did! Caught me completely off gaurd, I had no idea they did that.
>>
>>2729624
catfish are so fucking based
>>
>>2729597
I'm a massive nerd with a fiberglass kink for starters, it feels more 'alive' than the graphite broom sticks, and it's going to be durable which is important because when I'm fishing in dense brush and do a BassMaster(tm) mega hook set and whack my shit off a tree branch it probably wont end my day of fishing.
It's going to spend 90% of it's time with a frog tied on 40lb braid
Also scum dog is best frog
>>2729606
They're fine
>>
File: Resized_20230811_143234.jpg (466 KB, 780x1040)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>>2726490
Oh yeah?
>>
building a bass fishing tackle box for the first time, have some questions.
What size hooks and worm weights for texas rigs?
What weight tube jigs for tubes?
What weight ned heads?
What weight for shakey heads?
Which hooks are used for senkos?
Also dropshot weight size?
By size i mean weights. Just want the standard - go to sizes/weights that can be used almost everywhere for most applications
>>
>>2729739
I like 3/0 work hooks. For weights, generally a 1/4 or 1/8th ounce for water shallower than 20ft. If you fish deeper than that you might need 1/2 ounce or above.
>>
File: IMG_6945.jpg (1.69 MB, 4032x3024)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
My Daiwa Regal arrived and I noticed when I reel fast, the handle hits part of the bail since I’m probably accidentally pushing the handle in. Is this normal and my technique just bad?
>>
>>2729745
Never mind, I just realized all I had to do was tighten the handle.
>>
File: 20220323_075608.jpg (3.52 MB, 3024x2411)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>2729726
I love the spot patterns on these guys. Is that florida? Pic rel was my first beach drum. I was literally the only one on the beach that day.
>>
File: 1000005794.jpg (445 KB, 896x1099)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
>>2729310
I'm trying to catch one at my local river. I have a colony of dubia cockroaches (pic related)so I've been putting those live on a dropshot. I've gotten bites but haven't caught one yet. I might try cheap hotdogs too
>>
>>2729831
gulp minnows my dude. I have trouble keeping smaller channel cats away when I'm using those for other species. they seem to really love them for some reason. even the little 2.5" channel cats are very predatory and even chase moving baits.
>>
>>2729842
the 2.5" gulp minnows I mean, not 2.5" channel cats, that would be a sight.
>>
File: 20240508_163917.jpg (2.56 MB, 4032x3024)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
H*ck
>>
File: IMG_5075.jpg (1.39 MB, 4032x3024)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>2729769
Yep, Pensacola pass

Guessing Texas based off your sand?. I didn’t do much surf fishing while I lived there, mainly pier and bay (pic related) fishing for Spanish Macks and mangrove snapper and when I did i mainly targeted whiting for food. That was the one bull I caught.
>>
>2 weeks until pike season opens
I cant fucking wait bros, I should finish my homemade lure that I had on standby for almost a year
>>
>>2729857
Second one was Outer Banks NC, first one was the James River in Virginia. I love fishing the beach but it's a lot of work without a 4x4. I love whiting, great to eat and make good bait. Caught many bluefish with it. No idea where the Spanish macks are but I'd love to catch one someday.
>>
I've had some cleaned bluegill in my fridge for about three days. I thought I would cook and eat them sooner, but life got in the way. Is it too late to use them as cutbait for cats?
>>
File: 1710113847079.jpg (2.57 MB, 1222x1673)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>>2729008
Thanks for the tips, it caught me a very nice one and put up a very good fight (I also hooked into a snapping turtle's foot but luckily he unhooked himself).

I chopped the carp up into pieces to use as bait, but that proved to be a lot more difficult than I was thinking it was going to be. Initially I was trying to cut the carp into sections with the bone in the middle (rather than normal filet cuts), but after I got the head off i gave up on that idea and just cut off the side filets and tail. My hope is I won't need to catch any more fish for gar or catfish bait for a long time since I froze all the chunks of meat.
>>
File: jello.jpg (78 KB, 640x480)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2729930
marinate it in jello and cast it
>>
>>2729386
That’s not enough for me. I want to cause real damage. I know it would hurt either way but if I took it that far I’d want the peace of mind to know that the little faggot had to have the hook removed, potentially lost an eye etc
>>2729390
I understand that, the goal here isn’t to care though. What they were doing was also illegal in multiple ways. No wake, manatee area, going way over the limit, all posted btw, and harassing fishermen etc

If I did that it’s not so much me worrying about legal repercussions, I just wanna know if that would give my desired result and make them fuck off. Unless they got me on camera it’s easy enough to get away with it
>Oh it fell out of my bag while I was getting a new lure… anyways I’m glad you’re here officer these clowns have been driving pretty recklessly and harassing us and I guess it’s not surprising they felt threatened when it fell out of my bag after acting this way.
>>
>>2729538
>>2729472
The issue I have is I feel like my leader gets so short after just a few re ties. I’ll start with a 3 foot leader and do everything in my power to avoid changing lures but inevitably after the 3rd or 4th change it’s only about 1 to 1.5 feet, which I guess suffices but I feel better with 3 feet of leader. I only tie pollamar knots and I really don’t have that much excess to snip at the end so idk how this even happens lmao
>>
>>2729855
What is that lure?
>>2729831
Chicken hearts man. Go to the grocery store they should have a whole pack of like 50 of them for only like $6 (that’s what it was over 10 years ago anyways). They’re pure muscle and blood so they stay on the hook pretty well at least in my experience. Cut a few up, chum the area. Put your hook right in the middle of that area. And just wait. I don’t see many people talking about this bait but chicken hearts area great. Catch catfish, snakeheads, any scavenger like gars. Alternatively if you ever buy meat such as chicken breast and forget to cook it and it expires, save it and use it to fish, catfish love that shit. Just did that a week ago and caught a few gafftop cats.
Also years ago I was fishing a pond and trying out some store bought catfish bait. Didn’t catch shit on that bait the whole day, but then while leaving I found some dead chicks. Looked like someone’s dog killed them or they ran to an unrelated bird with its own chicks and got killed (seen it happen before). They were those black swamp chickens whatever you call them. So I put one on my hook to see what would happen, in 20 minutes I had a 5lb channel cat. Idk if you’re eating them or catching for fun but if you go to a pet store you can buy pre killed frozen mice. I would imagine one of those would catch some catfish, I just wouldn’t wanna eat it after.
>>
How long can fish like Pike last in warm weather before spoiling?
>>
>>2729739
building a bass fishing tackle box for the first time, have some questions.
>What size hooks and worm weights for texas rigs?
3/0 or 4/0 EWG and straight shank flipping hooks are what i almost always use. Depends on the size of your plastic, can be smaller or bigger. Can be anywhere from 1/8 to 1oz depending on how deep you’re fishing and if you have to punch vegetation
What weight tube jigs for tubes?
1/4 to 1/2
What weight ned heads?
1/16 to 1/4
What weight for shaky heads?
1/8 to 1/4
Which hooks are used for senkos?
4/0 ewg or 4 dropshot/whacky hook. Elastic hair ties or o ring rigging will help save your whacky rigged senkos
Also dropshot weight size?
3/8 or 1/4 cylinder
By size i mean weights. Just want the standard - go to sizes/weights that can be used almost everywhere for most applications
>>
>>2730104
A 4 ounce pyramid sinker will absolutely kill if yuh ou hit em in the head.
>>2730111
Scum dog, I hit the railing on my cast and fucked my shit.
>>2729946
Congrats anon
>>
>>2729855
>>2730149
did that the other day on my first cast. learned baitcaster not too long ago and actually found it pretty easy with very few hiccups, but casting around tall weeds resulted in disaster by just clipping a single weed.
>>
>>2730149
Thanks! I've also learned carp are a bitch to prepare for catfish bait so I'm never doing that again. Absolute bloody, boney mess
>>
>>2730149
Yeah I don’t wanna kill anyone, I’m fairly confident I can treble hook them and snag torso or arm or face without killing them. Just hurting them enough to make that sort of bullshit have been not worthwhile
>>
>>2730158
>>2730149
I prefer baitcasters, they’re just easier for me to use feel more “right” to me than a spinner, but I’ve done this a handful of times. Worst two was the one time I set my backpack down on an incline hill a bit higher than I was standing and my lure clipping the handle on it, and then the one time idk what I even did but I hit a branch probably 15 feet above me somehow. Both of those were so bad I had to ditch all the line. Normally it’s easy enough to pick out the tangles but fuck birthing worse than the entire reel being an unfixable mess from one shitty cast and that’s the only rod you got with you at the time. Especially when you were actually catching fish
>>
Is 20lb to 10lb too big a transition for a flouro streamer leader? And is it a bad idea to mix brands?
>>
>>2730164
Google snagging hooks, it's a treble hook with a weight
>>2730163
>bloody, boney mess
Very much
>>2730165
>entire reel being an unfixable mess from one shitty cast and that’s the only rod you got with you
That's the situation I was in. Once I got if out I counted the cranks to put it all back in, I had almost 150 feet of backlash, took me like 45 minutes to untangle. I thought to take the pic some time after starting to fix it.
>>2730196
Kinda but you can get away with it if you cheat a little. Double and triple surgeons knots, Albright knots, and improved blood knots are good work arounds for getting thick line to connect to overly thin line, but your leader will hinge. What weight rod is this going on, what kind of line, and how long is the leader?
Mixing brands should be fine, however.
>>2730158
Baitcasters aren't too hard if you've got a reasonably heavy lure and your spool tension and brakes set correctly. You can also kind of cheat a light backlash as soon as a lure hits the water by pulling back with the rod tip while feathering line to pull out 10ish extra feet of line. That also helps lures sink faster if you're trying to get deep
>>
File: 20240509_165413.jpg (3.51 MB, 4032x3024)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
I officially and unironically endorse the gx2 as a frog stick
>>
>>2730220
8wt, wf floating, and 6-7 feet. I am being a bit lazy and cheap, just don't wanna buy another box of flouro just for a leader so hoping I can just do a two piece. If I really need a better transition, should I do 15lb for it?
>>
>>2730253
Honestly for what you're trying to do I think youd want a thicker butt section like 25 or 30 more importantly than a smoother transition to 10lb to try to get the best energy transfer
I'd advise you to get a spool of 15 and 25, but if you could only get one I'd get 25 now and 15 later. 2' of 25, 2' of 20, and 3' of 15 is my go to 7 foot bass eader.
>>
Who has the bass gf image? I am in dire need of it
>>
>>2730264
I do have a little spool of 25 lb maxima chameleon I could use as a butt. I'll try your recipe and maybe bite the bullet and buy more flouro line sooner than later.
>>
File: 1715294723870035.webm (937 KB, 720x960)
937 KB
937 KB WEBM
what kind of fish is this?
>>
>>2730104
You could have recorded it and shown the cop.
>>
>>2730104
>What they were doing was also illegal in multiple ways

So the fuck what? Are you a cop? No. You wanna act like a street nigga go the fuck ahead but you get this idea that you're somehow "the good guy" out of your head.
>>
>>2730320
What's life like when you're this stupid. Is it pleasant bliss or are you angry and confused all the time? I'm sort of imagining you know, like when a mentally challenged adult is confounded by the childproofing on a pill bottle.
>>
>>2730323
Why don't take your little gun out and show it to me? Isn't that how you solve all your problems, bitch boy?
>>
Is a 10 inch leader too close to the swivel to scare the fishies? I've never fished before
>>
>>2730111
Thanks if I can get that cheap at my local grocery I'll try it out. I would eat catfish even if I had to use roadkill as bait, you don't eat the guts anyway
>>
>>2730373
Probably fine for a lure. If you're talking bobber you might go longer.
>>
should I kill any common carp I catch even if I don't intend to eat them? they are invasive and taste like garbage
>>
>>2730408
only some species in some places are aggressively invasive. otherwise they're 'naturalized'. it'd be like killing pigeons
>>
>>2730408
most fish are invasive. they used to be confined to certain regions of the us, now most are widespread. killing a carp here and there won't do jack shit. it's far too late. just let it be.
>>
>>2725386
even the fish can't stand the smell lmao
>>
File: 1711568232821413.jpg (151 KB, 800x800)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
decided to try out my mepps syclops spoon that I've had for a long time and never really messed with. the fish were lighting it up. bass, crappie, everything. then my trip got cut short because a fish came off in some brush along the bank and I had to get him out... tons of poison ivy. I got turbofucked from head to toe last year by something and that's gonna suck if I yeeted myself again today. you're welcome fish.
>>
>>2730483
I have a strange form of retardation. From i was 5 and until i was 14 i fishes mepps spinners 90% of the time and i very simply just caught fish. I still catch fish, but i havent used a mepps spinner in like 20 years. I have $6000 dollars worth it high quality fishing shit and it never occured to me to get a mepps spinner. I dont know why the fuck i never buy them but i think its because, in my mind its childrens gear and also kind of cheating
>>
>>2730408
How is the national stock of them? Here they are protected year round, but we dont have many. Under all circumstances, murdering it solves nothing
>>
>>2730373
Depends on the fish and the depth you fish. It doesnt really matter though, try, if it doesnt work simply try something else. Fishing ineffectively catches 100% more fish than not fishing, play the game and theory craft as you go
>>
>>2730117
There is no reason other than famine to eat pike. Also a few hours tops.
>>
>>2729745
>Not having a daiwa exist
Stay pleb
>>
i went home and fished with my shitty zebco spincaster for panfish and chain pickerel with worms. it was the most fun i've had fishing in a while.
there's something comfy about spincasters.
>>
File: 356464681681.jpg (118 KB, 711x900)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Went evening fishing at a pond the bluegill only come out near dark. Caught a few of em but they felt tricky to hook for some reason, missed a few I felt I really shoudve had.
>>
File: 20240510_202843.jpg (3.47 MB, 4032x3024)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
Hey guys look what I found
>>
>>2730413
Well, if the pigeons were competing with delicious birds that I would be able to otherwise eat, I probably would kill them. I'd rather catch a walleye, a pike, or a catfish any day than a dirty, disgusting carp.
>>2730441
That's unfortunate.
>>2730614
I don't know how they are Canada-wide, but in my province they are considered a pest species. No limits on how many you can keep, you can spear and bowfish for them, etc.
>>
On the couch right now in a 100+ year old dump of a house in the Driftless. It's been a good day. I lost two football indicators. Those things never seem to stay on. I kind of caught a trout. I had it on the bank, and I didn't want to drag it. The fish popped off before I could get to him. He really liked my indicators. I think I'm going to switch to Airlocks. I'm going to sleep now so I can go fishing early tomorrow.
>>
>>2730607
they've kind of been put on the back burner by most people simply because there is so many different kinds of lures these days, but they still work good as ever. it's a must for multi-species fishermen. I use them regularly as a search bait.
>>
>>2730763
you also have to do research yourself to see how much of a "pest" certain creatures really are. often it's overblown or complicated. here in the US we tend to label anything that interferes with our developement of the human community a "pest." this includes beavers, muskrats, bobcats, ants, basically anything. that's why we have people with room temp iq who think it's justified to shoot anything on 4 legs that isn't a cat or dog. it's pretty shit how out of tune with nature the modern world is. if it eats our invasive livestock, or invaive crops, it's a "pest" with open season even if it is a native species. look at western europe and all the animals they used to have before eradicating them. same thing will happen here. large predators are already wiped out from 75% of their native range because they were a threat to livestock which is non-native. lol
>>
Anyone want to go spearfishing with me around Crescent Head? I have a house up there. I want to bite the bullet on like $400-500 of equipment to go fishing but havent decided yet, still trying to imagine whether I'd really like it or not. My mum can drive me to spear fish at the delicate islands/delicate nobby.
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (1021 KB, 666x725)
1021 KB
1021 KB PNG
>>2730827
I've been thinking about this for like 3 months now. The issue is I don't want to buy the equipment, not enjoy myself and have awful buyers regret. Really I want to be able to keep spearfishing in the same spot, which I guess I can because I have the ability to get there...

Oh yeah I know I could also spearfish off the Crescent Head Big Nobby in this approximate place, but I have no idea if it'd be too dangerous, it really could be (could get swept out to the ocean, idk).

I guess a reasonable first step or baby step would be to buy spearfishing flippers and try diving with them to get a feel for how I'd do it with a gun. I think I'll do that.
>>
>>2730830
Can you rent the gear? Then you could see if you actually like it before spending a bunch of money
>>
Lost the same jerkbait for the 6th time this week within the first 3 casts. God dammit Neptune let me catch my fucking bass and trout in peace!

Also what's a good lure/setup for medium heavy rods and 10lb mono spincasters? I want to at least make this trip to dicks sporting goods worth more than tributes to any freshwater body within a 10-15 mile radius.
>>
File: IMG_3133.jpg (2.43 MB, 4032x3024)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
>>2730755
Found one too!
>>
File: 20240511_091934.jpg (916 KB, 1612x1209)
916 KB
916 KB JPG
A legal from the surf
Has been pounding that same hole on the beach for like 2 weeks and finally got one after dozen of shorts
>>
>>2730849
>bass
My personal favorites
>~2/0 EWG hook and soft plastic worm Texas rig (weedless so can't lose) when I know roughly where they are
>Spoon, in-line spinner, or offset spinner to search
There's others people like, but these seem to work pretty well for me and you have a lot of control over how they're presented (more than crank or jerk baits)
>trout
A single weighted treble hook is great, I'm a big fan of that technique.
>>
File: IMG20240511175444.jpg (4.39 MB, 3072x4096)
4.39 MB
4.39 MB JPG
I basically encountered every kind of animal these last days expect fish
I already switched to a smaller hook but i guess I should change to the bell sinker rig
>>
>>2730896
wow! nice one
>>
>>2730884
Nice find
>>
What's the best catfish bait I can get at the grocery store? I'm not usually a catfish guy but I am going out with a carolina rig tomorrow for a few hours.
>>
>>2731051
Hotdogs
>>
>>2731058
How do I keep them on the hook when casting? Does having more weight keep them from accelerating too much and flying off?
>>
>>2731059
Just lob it. Don't fling it.
>>
test
>>
File: 1705377785005.jpg (4.14 MB, 4000x3000)
4.14 MB
4.14 MB JPG
>>2730766
I fished at French Creek and an undisclosed creek near the house. Both creeks were a bust. Although I didn't get any trout (just a tiny chub), I got a sunburn. I did get to see some French Creek browns.
I fished after pic rel, which involved a massive cattle relocation, including across the creek, I fished downstream without water clarity problems, but when I walked back up, the water was very cloudy. When I was at French Creek, I would create these terrible clouds of sediment that would follow me downstream, which seemed to move faster than the cow muckery. Other than walking on the bank to minimize stirring up sediment, is there anything else I should know? For instance, is this more of a springtime issue, or am I just clumsy fatass?
>>
>>2729210
You don't need to bring a gun out just because some fat retard on a jet ski is being a douchebag. I get why you feel that way but never give in to that temptation. If I did that every time someone annoyed me, there would be no homeless drug addicts left in my county. Next time just record him and report him to fish and game for harassing/interfering with fishing. Its a crime in most states. He might call you a bitch for it, but you would still win, and anything he does to retaliate would just be more reason to cite or arrest him. Get him thrown in jail, not yourself. Thats funnier than what he was doing anyways. Fuck fat people.
>>
>>2731062
what is the difference between lobbing and flinging in terms of how you actually do the cast?
>>
Some guy today was in awe that I wasnt getting snagged on the trees. Well yeah. I'm not flicking my fucking line into the trees. Why do people have this weird respect for fly fishing? or mysticism or whatever. Another dude was bitching about not getting bites and I asked him if he would try a fly rod. "Oh thats way too hard. Its like an art form bro." Its not, its so fucking easy. You tie a fake bug to a line and swing your arm back and forth. Every time I use it I get fish. And thats on some 1980 reel that doesn't even have drag. You know what i think is magical? Catching fish with a spinning rod. I dont catch shit. Texas rig, bait, carolina rig, spinners, worms, fuckin kastmasters... i just went 4 days without a bite. Meanwhile i can tie my bellybutton lint on the end of a leader and catch steelhead. Maybe i' just a retard but it seems way more efficient than all the fucking around people do with regular poles.
Also fuck people who litter. There is trash all over the place lately. What the fuck?
>>
File: catfeesh.jpg (717 KB, 1638x1044)
717 KB
717 KB JPG
My first big catfish I ever caught. LA river
>>
>>2731100
The only people who even register what I'm doing usually are other fly fishers. It's insane the amount of people who get really close behind me or to my casting side for some reason to ask their mandatory "catch anything?!" One of these days some dipshit is gonna take a wooly bugger to the face or worse a heavy weighted streamer walking into a cast to bug me.
>Catching fish with a spinning rod. I don't catch shit.
Sometimes I swear the conventional tackle advice feels like bs. I've only ever had success on paddle tails with blades and spoons, and of course worms. Crankbaits don't work for me, neither do typical bass plastics, though I may have just given up on too early on the latter.
>>
>>2731051
I use bait elastic or sewing thread for softer chunk baits
>>
>>2731098
Just going slow, not loading up the rod on the backswing. It's the abrupt changes in direction and velocity that tear the bait off.
>>
I'm getting tired of channel cats. Catfish is ok if you're intentionally going for them with the proper rig, but constantly getting your treble hook lures smashed by catfish is annoying. fuckers damn-near swallow it half the time and I hate having to do surgery to get it out. pretty big one hit a 1/8oz spoon today and I didn't think I was gonna be able to get him loose, luckily I finally did. they basically sew their mouth shut with a treble hook, I'm contemplating going to single hooks entirely on all my lures because channel cats are constantly harassing me. pretty sure I've caught one on half of the lures I own. at this point I'd rather get skunked than catch a channel cat.
>>
>>2731051
chicken livers have the best drawing power but they are very messy and don't stay on the hook good. shrimp is what I usually prefer to use because it's not messy and it seems to have better drawing power than a lot of the other cmmon stuff.tjsw
>>
>>2731100
there is always trash everywhere these days. people are retarded lazy fucks. what's so hard about having a big ziplock bag with you to shove trash in? I'm starting to think most people legitimately have sub 70IQ. even children know to pick up trash.
>>
>>2731233
I was at a fly fishing conference, and the DNR gave me this recycled metal mesh bag with a drawstring top. I haven't used it yet, but I really like it. I'm going to use it for mushrooms this week, if I can find them.
>>
i hate germany
>8 hours nonstop trolling at the lake
>not a single bite
>not a single fish
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
File: IMG_0327.jpg (6 KB, 240x232)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I want to ask a question but this thread will hit its limit soon. Can someone make another one so I can ask my question?
>>
>>2731276
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQXKO194XM&ab_channel=Eagles
>>
>>2731276
ask it, anons respond to previous threads all the time
>>
>>2731276
Ask the doggone question you hooligan.
>>
bass fishermen be like
> yeah, that's about a 4 pounder
when they catch a 1 pound fish
>>
File: 20240220_173740.jpg (336 KB, 604x806)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>2731302
I do the opposite. Check out this single pounders I caught.
>>
I tried live worms, a bunch of youtube clickbait plastics, salmon eggs, bread, and cheese for 4 hours today and not a single bite. Not even a bluegill, even though i could see 20 of them and literally put the fucking bait in their.mouth. pulled out my fly rod and caught 4 fish in a half hour. I'm just not going to cast anymore. There has to be something simple i'm doing wrong. I tried a texas rig, wacky worm, all types of presentations, a hook with weights, and even different pound test line. Maybe this is just what shoreline fishing is. Time to either buy a boat or try the ocean i guess.
>>
>>2731332
That's why it's alled fishing rather than catching, Anon.
>>
>HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!!

>NEW!!!!
>>2731353
>>2731353
>>2731353
>>2731353
>>
>>2731101
Love the way those channel cats fight. Nice catch, Anon.
>>
>>2730833
Don't think so. I'll buy fins and go snorkelling/try diving at Clovelly or somewhere. Though I tried that about 2 months ago and the water was turbid/full of matter and so I couldn't dive, could barely see my feet in the water.
>>
>>2725971
Learned from an old coonass you gotta cook them like you would a low country boil. I use zatarans shrimp and crab, cut up some lemons and onions and toss them in there maybe some potatoes. The texture is more rubbery than crab or lobster but its not bad if you bleed and clean them correctly.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.