[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2019_Gallery_1.jpg (553 KB, 750x500)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
What's good hammock brand?
I'm in Eu
Need one for 2 pers.
Must have mosquito net and detachable rain cover
>>
>>2725462
any hammock with materials that deters bugs?
>>
>>2725462
Wise Owl and One Wind are Chinkshit brands that have pretty good reviews and lots of chatter on FB. DD is a British company that has good reviews as well. Not sure if you can get any American brands; Dutchware, Warbonnet, Henessey… they’re all pretty good.

Just make sure you get an 11’ hammock (however many cm that is) and attach a structural ridgeline.
>>
>>2725469
>Warbonnet
found it on amazon italy
but damn over 220$
>>
>>2725480
>Suffer now (financially)
Or
>Suffer later (being stuck outside with shit gear)
You choose.
>>
>>2725481
>if you don't meet my personal criteria for consooming you'll have a bad time
lol, no
>>
>>2725480
Sorry I meant the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip Hammock

Says it's for one person.
max capacity of 136kg
With my gf we'd exceed by a little that capacity...
>>
>>2725484
Lose weight fatties
>>
i found this site that sells warbonnet in eu looks trustworthy to me but idk https://thehammockproject.mozello.shop/
>>
>>2725484

damn, and for that price I still have to make knots.
>>
>>2725462
ticket to the moon has kingsize and honeymoon hammocks
>>
>>2725484
>$220
Yeah, it’s a little expensive for what it is. Henessey and Eno are both like that; overpriced for the sake of being over priced.
>sleeping two in one hammock
Doesn’t work. All gathered end hammocks are single occupant. You can lounge with two but you won’t sleep that way.
>>
>>2725462
Two people sleeping in one hammock is not happening, sorry. Use it as a sex swing and then retire to your two single hammocks.

Hennessy seems kinda expensive but (most?) come with a attatched bugnet (which is great) and a tarp. I have the explorer deluxe and its big, super comfortable and much much sturdier than your average eno or ticket to the moon and they look sick. They are heavy tho. Mine weighs more than a ultralight 2p tent.

Eno is decent but very basic. Some of their hammocks are very lightweight and the price aint too bad concidering the weight and quality. Eno aldo makes a decent bugnet with a zipper opening.

I have no experience with DD Hammocks, but I believe they are pretty good and the prices aint too bad.

Ticket to the Moon is cheap but I dont know anout the quality. Check reviews.

Steer away from cheap chinese crap - unless youre unsure if hammocking is for you. You could get two hammocks with bugnet and tarp fir €20 each just totry, and upgrade later.

Warbonnet and Superior are really good but expensive and you might have to import them from the states.
>>
>>2725534
2nd this, 2 people with inevitably be smashed together by gravity. You're better off getting 2 separate hammocks. That opens up better site options and the ability to tune sleeping gear. Dutchware would have to be imported by they do some dual hammock gear.
>>
>>2725465
You can buy a can of permethrin and treat any tent or clothes. Problem is when it gets wet it can transfer to your skin, which is probably not great.
The Hennessy Jungle Explorer has a double-layered bottom that skeeters can't bite through. I've used it plenty in malaria/dengue areas.

>>2725494
The quality is great though. I've used the fuck out of mine for years. Besides, that's the minimum price I'd pay for a traditional tent.
>>
>>2725534

Hennessey is worth it because of all the little touches that make their hammocks outdoor equipment, like the little interior pockets on the tarp for each tarpline and the integral tensioners. It's clearly a product that was designed by someone who is totally obsessed with and autistic about hammock camping.
>>
>>2725826
Tom Hennessy <3 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcVcKdt1P10&pp=ygUYSGVubmVzc3kgaGFtbW9jayBsYXNoaW5n
>>
>>2725462
I bought a 20€ "Naturefun" Hammock of amazon years ago and its amazing desu, just get an additional tarp and youre set
>>
>>2725573
Pretty sure smashing is the goal, anon
>>
>>2725462
DD hammocks frontline is the only hammock that should be taken seriously, everything else is garbage and made for hanging in your living room
>>
>>2725462
Some EU brands, maybe made in EU:
>Lesovik
>Bushmen
>Amazonas
>>
Maybe Haven safari (XL size). It's a US brand but some specialized stores sell them in EU, or you can just pay the import tax.
Otherwise there are tree tents.
>>
>>2726945
Lesovik is retardedly overpriced for what it is, Bushmen straight up sucks.
If you want a Polish brand Tigerwood is good, but I don't know if they sell internationally. Also you can check your local manufacturers, hammocks aren't exactly rocket surgery.
DD Hammocks Chill Out is the most comfortable hammock I have used, the extra width really makes a difference. It doesn't come with a bug net but you can add an external one.
>>
>>2727532
>x is too expensive
>y is cheap but shit
>z is good but [not available in the EU] or [not from the EU]
Pick two: Good, cheap, EU
I just got some Bushmen stuff, and I'm not in a hurry to purchase from there again. Shipping (within the EU) took a month, they didn't respond to emails and the quality and fit seems subpar. It was fairly cheap though. I'm going to supplement with hamak.de, kuhla.hu and lesovik next.
>>
>>2727539
Lesovik are hunting for suckers, mediocre quality for American prices.
I literally imported a tarp from Hammock Gear from the US because it came out cheaper than Lesovik's equivalent, with lower weight and better materials (and most likely better workmanship but I have not used Lesovik's tarps, only their other products and they weren't anything amazing).
Seriously go check your local producers, everyone's making hammocks these days since anyone with a sewing machine and a bit of experience can make one. It all comes down to the material used and the size. You can score a good one cheaply if you do some research.
>>
>>2725933
Anon, that hammock is fucking tiny; it’s under 9’ long. It cannot fit a fully grown man. Not even a grown Mexican could fit in it. I thought Europeans were tall.
>>
>>2725469
Warbonnet is a wonderful hammock. I have a blackbird that I bought at the height of COVID (when camping shit was 50% higher than normal). Use it probably three to four times a year.
Despite being a great hammock, it's not really worth the price tag, unless you hate having money and are a gear queer. I won't even deny my buyer's remorse; at times I prefer my tent, since I don't have to search for a suitable place to pitch that. Hammocks you need to scout out your campsite a bit if you want to use them.
>>
File: 20240421_174031.jpg (3.36 MB, 3524x2540)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
Bought hitch hammock and one wind. It just works.
>>
What's the deal with hammocks? I heard you were never supposed to pitch your tent under a tree because branches can fall off and crush your tent, but hammockbros don't seem worry about this? What about sticky tree sap?
>>
>>2728171
>I can’t find to trees in a forest
Ok
>>
>>2728216
You heard wrong. Trees provide an excellent wind break and a little rain cover, sort of. Just look up for dead branches. Inb4 some o about a tree killing someone.
>>
>>2728206
Using the truck's exhaust to warm the hammock at night = peak comfy
>>
>>2725462
>Leśny Ludzik
>Wydra13
Have seen good reviews for both brands, but haven't pulled a trigger yet. For now I'm still using one from Decathlon until I can decide which one to choose.
>>
>>2725462
My cousin only hammock camped and now he’s dead. A bear ate him alive. He had just eaten honey. He used to always say, “I can move camp so swiftly thanks to my hammock”. Then a bear ate him because of the hammock. He tried to escape but the hammock flipped him around like in a comedy movie. The bear kept flipping him round and round until he was completely stuck. He had a jar of honey in his hammock too

So sad, hammocks are dangerous
>>
>>2725481
I dunno, Anon. This was true years ago, when all of the Chinkshit was tiny or really heavy. 10 years ago the only budget tarp options were a Kelty Noah tarp or a blue one from the hardware store. Now you can find cheap 1.6oz silnylon hex tarps on Amazon.

Quilts are still expensive. Always have been, always will be.
>>
Pic of my tarp.

I made it from 0.9oz membrane silpoly. The long sides have a 3” cat cut, and I think the beaks are 14”. The ridgeline is 1” grosgrain folded over o to itself (the same way Warbonnet tarps are made) rather than flat felled or a French seam (partly a skill issue lol). Guy lines are Zing it, and I use loop aliens for the suspension.

In the pic it’s in full storm mode, with the sides propped with a stick and anchored. So far I’ve only used it in two storms with a lot of wind, and I think it was more sturdy this way (rather than being anchors straight to the ground), but it was probably just in my head. If it’s not windy at all the beaks can be pulled back like on the far right, so the setup only uses 4 corner the outs plus the ridge line tie outs.
>>
>>2725462

OP I just saw something about gearfortrees hammocks. They look like they are in Spain and make what looks like a nice set-up. Sorry for the necro post but cool to see some euro-hammock cottage companies
>>
>>2725462
Any recommendations for an underquilt? I live in Finland and would like to have an underquilt that would be suitable from spring to autumn. Right now I have a basic bitch ticket to the moon single that I had bought as a teenager. I may have to replace the hammock as well because it feels kind of small sometimes to me. I am 191cm tall.
>>2727573
They do offer a XL version of the DD frontline. That is 3 metres long and 1,8 metres wide. They do claim on their website that the normal frontline is supposedly comfortable for users up to 196cm though. The XL version is supposedly comfortable for users up to 213cm according to their website.
>>
>>2730100
Quality to price ratio I don't think you can do better than Cumulus. Get the large size because their large is everyone else's regular. Shame they don't let you customize underquilts as even the large is a bit on the narrow side and I'd gladly make it wider.
Or maybe you can but you'd have to ask individually, they don't offer it on their site like they do with top quilts.

Also a 3m hammock will not be comfortable for someone taller than 180 cm, look for 3.5m options.
>>
>>2730100
>not even 10’ long
11’ (335cm) is standard.
>muh width
Doesn’t matter.
>>
>>2730113
>width
>Doesn’t matter.
Wrong.
>>
>>2730115
>doesn’t understand the basics
>tells others they’re wrong
Let me guess: you’re European.
>>
>>2730146
>doesn’t understand the basics
Ironic.
Just to illustrate with an extreme example, try a 30 cm (1 foot) wide hammock, tell me how it went.
>>
I'm planning on making an underquilt with Climashield Apex insulation. Should I use the same weight for the underquilt as I would for a topquilt? Or will I need a bit more or a bit less for the underquilt?
>>
>>2728658
>hamaki od pani Basi
:3
>>
>>2730179
Anon, I’ve been sewing my own hammocks for a while now. See my latest tarp by scrolling up.

Extra wide hammocks are pointless. Your analogy is retarded. Obviously it has to be wider than12”. Roughly 60” is the sweet spot. Anything beyond that adds very little to a hammocks comfort. I once made one roughly 14’x10’ just for the fuck if it. It was dumb. Wide hammocks just end up with a lot of extra fabric hanging from the sides.
>>
>>2730505
Oh you're that retard. The sweet spot you pulled out of your ass is just the width of a standard fabric roll, manufacturers go with that because they can't be bothered sewing multiple panels together. There is a point where width stops making a difference but it's much further than that.
Your tarp looks like shit btw.
>>
>>2730508
>sewing multiple panels together
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/xl-wide-fabric

>your tarp bad!
Let me guess: you use something from Amazon?
>>
>>2730510
Hammock Gear Quest, thanks for asking.
>>
>>2730513
My DIY tarp is better than yours. Feel bad, consoomer fag.
>>
>>2730515
Somehow I don't. But feel free to repost your piece of shit unprompted in every hammock thread, maybe someone will compliment it some day.
>>
>>2730518
It’s lighter, has beaks and extra tie outs, I know exactly what kind of thread was used, and it was seam sealed on both sides of the ridgleline.
>>
File: 10201459_0.jpg (72 KB, 630x630)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>2730521
>>
>>2725462
i got a cheap ass nightcat last year that has all of that, includes poles which you can use to pitch it or just keep the top off you
>>
>>2727543
>American prices
Do you think EU prices are typically lower than American prices?
>>
>>2730785
Polish prices definitely are. Lesovik are 2-3x more expensive than other manufacturers while not being any better.
>>
>>2730789
Can you provide a competitive EU alternative? That's what the thread is about, after all.
I ordered their hammock sleeve. I did think it expensive, but I didn't find any other EU made sleeve in my search.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.