[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 388.png (4.47 MB, 1916x1916)
4.47 MB
4.47 MB PNG
pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

New USDA zone map has been released: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hügelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

previous: >>2718306
Fruit thinning allows your plant to allocate its resources more efficiently. Each leaf is a source, and each fruit is a sink. If you have too many sinks, the sources will not be able to provide.
>>
File deleted.
Tomatoes, for instance.
>>
>>
Plugging along with spring projects, built a bridge across my drainage swale so I can drive my mower across, moved a couple of trees.
>>
>>2725629
im a newfag, what is the purpose of this 'drainage' ?
>>
>>2725631
To move the water away from my house and give it a place to percolate into the soil.
>>
File: IMG_6747.jpg (2.82 MB, 5472x3648)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>2725600
Put this in /hsg/ but ill drop here... 2 acres of corn
>>
File: IMG_6741.jpg (3.38 MB, 5472x3648)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>2725634
and beans, taters, melons, okra, squash, turnip, etc in side plot
>>
File: IMG_6739.jpg (2.15 MB, 5472x3648)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>2725635
plowed furrows with 1944 Farmall A tractor, then dropped seeds by hand and used under-body plow to cover seeds back up. Biggest garden ive done yet
>>
is that all to feed yourself or do you sell it?
>>
>>2725637
just me and my family
>>
File: bIMG_2639.jpg (323 KB, 1200x900)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
The new gazebo is assembled, it was a solid day and a half project with over 300 bolts. Every metal piece was individually wrapped in plastic, and the bags for identical pieces were taped together which needed to be cut. It came in a single box weighing 350 lbs. The size is 10x12 which is the same listed size as the old one, but those clever bean counters changed that from an interior measurement to exterior.

It fit together surprisingly well. A few of the bolts required me to stand on the last step of a 6 ft step ladder to reach, less fun with the wind we had today. There are 3 more bolts I need to borrow a larger ladder to reach since they are on the railing side so the ladder needs to be on the ground. It only came with bug netting, but since it had 2 curtain rails I reused the old side curtains.

I'm going to use the bug netting from the old gazebo to try and keep bugs from eating my peas and lettuce when then come up.
>>
>>2725639
cool. looks like a lot of corn, how long does it last and do you need to shop for any additional vegetable stuff ?
>>
>>2725518
Even when they are in pots?
I could always wrap the whole pot in some geotextile I guess.
That could also help surviving some freak frosts.
>>
>>2725600
How the fuck do I actually get a harvest of pumpkin and other gourds? I've gotten flowers and fruit but only a single scallop squash was big enough to eat, mostly because our growing season is just a few weeks too short.
So I tried starting them indoors but they grew all gangly and with no actual leaves aside for the cotyledons and after transplanting they look limp. I still have seed so i might just direct sow them right now.
>>
>>2725817
>So I tried starting them indoors but they grew all gangly and with no actual leaves aside for the cotyledons
How much light did you give them? If you don't have a grow light then you can take them outside after germinating so they can get direct sunlight, or even germinate them outside on a heat mat, but you'll have to make sure to take them in every night and that they don't dry out or get sunburned. Check on them often and if it looks like there's any problem at all move them inside for at least the day. Obviously this won't help you this year, but it's something to keep in mind.

Maybe try extending your season the other direction and protect the plants from frost so the fruit can mature longer. You can cover them with straw, a tarp or both at night and uncover them in the morning. A friend of mine in zone 7 starts covering her tomatoes with a tarp as soon as the night temperatures drop below 50F and she always gets a huge yield.
>>
Halp, spider mites are killing all of my plants. Neem oil and pyrethrin have not worked and have only harmed my plants more
>>
File: 1713785701196073.png (209 KB, 815x778)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>2725600
How many years had you been burying your tomato seedlings when you found out frkm Gardening in Canada it's actually worse for your plant than normal depth up-potting?
>>
>>2725840
You can try rosemary oil, or boil some rosemary and spray your plants but I didn't have great results. If you can find predatory mites in your soil then you can move that soil to the base of your plants. That's how I solved my spider mite issue. You can also buy some online. You can try ladybugs, but you should make sure you aren't getting an invasive species and you'll need to provide nesting places for them around the affected plants or they'll move on to somewhere more hospitable. Green lacewing larvae are also voracious pest killers so you could try them too or all three at once.
>>
>>2725634
>/hsg/
when did this start and why does it exist?
>>
>>2725817
>So I tried starting them indoors but they grew all gangly
Light is too far from the plants. What zone are you?
>>
>>2725842
I have never once noticed anything but increased growth from the stem-burying method, even with very very young tomatoes. What basis does "Gardening in Canada" have for making this statement?
>>
Snails are driving me nuts HOLY FUCKING SHIT MY SANITY IS SLIPPING HARD FUCK FUCK FUCK. WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO??!!!!
>>
>>2725869
this but rolypolys and earwigs
>>
>>2725833
>>2725848
I think you're right about the light, even though I had them in front of a south facing window. I just went outside and buried all my left over pumpkin seeds (at least a hundred) all over the place and we'll see what happens.

Zone 6 btw
>>
Hello, I'm fairly new here but I figured it might be the place to ask about the following: I'm scouting for some land to buy a few years from now, the context is a place I'd like to go to during the weekends and such to homestead (nothing very intensive though, basically experiment with small scale stuff like permaculture and maybe food forests, but I fully intend to allow the surrounding area to remain as wild as possible, native tree cover and all of that). I'm trying to avoid farm areas and anywhere near a major highway. Basically as desolate as possible while still within reach so I can actually go there regularly.

The area I've been looking at has a lot of places which used to have pines, eucalyptus and similar trees for lumber, so the soil is drained, and those areas are usually cheaper due to that. My question is if any of you has experience recovering areas like that and how long it might take (a rough estimate, nothing extremely accurate obviously). I know some people who went after former pine plantations precisely because it would be cheaper to buy and now they're trying to restore the soil and all of that.
>>
>>2725634
>>2725635
>>2725636
You seem experienced. How hard would it be, and how much money would I need, to grow my own cereals like corn and wheat for a family 4-12, supposing I do have the acres? The machinery, the storage, the labor, etc.
>>2725847
Homesteading is different in that it is larger in scale and often has other dimensions such as construction, machine repairs, etc., while gardening or /hmg/ is mostly or only about plants, typically fruits/vegetables/herbs/ornamentals/etc.
>>
>>2725869
Adopt a family of opossums.
>>
>>2725814
Not sure, never tried to overwinter in pots.
My figs survive -20 C frost in the ground heavily insulated, they lose everything above insulation tho.

>>2725817
Start early, use supplemental LED if you don't have enough light, even household LED is fine for this, just place it really close.

>>2725869
Look under stones and any sort of ground cover that retains moisture, knife any slug you find in half.
Do it several times and you'll decimate their population, you can also deliberately set up pots and such for them to hide under so you know where to find them.

>>2725877
I only recovered small area where a warehouse used to stand, soil was heavily degraded with construction sand and concrete mixed in but even that was a lot of work, took me a year before I started planting anything worthwhile there and about 4-5 before plants really begun to thrive.
First you'll probably want to establish swales and earthworks in general to retain and collect water, preferably also tap ground waters (I assume you won't have any access to water utilities there) and when you have earthworks done put a ton of mulch to restore life in soil, mulch can also be grown in place and cut and it's a good way to being to establish soil.
Overall you are looking at at least several years although you can start planting stuff you want as soon as earthworks are done, your plants will struggle initially but at least some should pull through and establish themselves holding soil and creating habitat for more plants and life.
Just make sure you get earthworks right, once you start planting you won't be able to modify them without putting soil back to square one by heavily disturbing it.
>>
>>2725871
>Zone 6 btw
You will do best getting a small LED grow light to start the pumpkins indoors and transplant them when spring comes. Your last frost date is... oh dear god, May 1st? Sorry anon from a zone 9er who can start planting on March 15th.
>>
>>2725897
>May 1st
Zone 6B here, no way this is correct, here last frost date is 15th May
>>
>>2725898
Christ anon that's sad, you're probably right, I've never lived that far north. Anon absolutely needs to start pumpkins indoors around mid april then, maybe earlier but I bet it's cold as hell even inside. Might need a plant heat pad too. >>2725871
>>
>>2725903
>Anon absolutely needs to start pumpkins indoors around mid april then
Yeah, sounds about right, that's when I start them.

First frost here is somewhere in first half to mid November btw.
>>
>>2725905
Fuck, October, not November.
>>
>>2725896
Does /out/ have a good intro guide on earthworks and similar strategies that's usually recommended or do I just look for anything on it? Since I haven't actually done any of these things I have no actual data to judge books/guides on.
My plan was to start by reading permaculture classics like Mollison.
>>
>>2725911
I can't really help you, my place is almost flat with minimal slope, I just did 2 rows of basic 20 cm swales to stop any run off from escaping my property and that's more than enough here.
Check pastebin >>2725600 maybe there is something.
>>
File: 1698555369919342.jpg (3.78 MB, 2250x4000)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
I was sure it was done for when it split in half but look at it now.
>>
File: 1697040223836904.jpg (4.55 MB, 2250x4000)
4.55 MB
4.55 MB JPG
>>2725922
>>
>>2725922
>>2725924
Plants are so nonsensical with their survivability.
Sometimes you coddle a plant with all your might, controlling every single variable and giving it ideal conditions, yet they die all of a sudden; then you have plants that you try to kill with all your might, killing the soil, depriving them of water and sun, chopping them off, spraying toxic chemicals on them, etc., yet the motherfuckers never die.
So ridiculous.
>>
>>2725897
>>2725898
>>2725903
I'm in zone 5 and hating it. I need to move somewhere warmer. At this point zone 6 would be a blessing.
>>
>>2725931
Don't worry. With climate change zone 5 will become 6-7 in the coming years.
>>
Rain for the next few days which is perfect timing. My carrot rows have been covered for the past 2 weeks and its time to uncover them since they should be up by the end of the week.
>>
>>2725893
Meanwhile in /hsg/
>>
>>2725935
I know, but I don't want to wait that long. Honestly I'd like to move to a nice place that I can garden year round, but usually the summer turns those places into scorching hellholes.
>>
>>2725871
>>2725903
Zone 5 here. You can direct sow pumpkins and squash and get crops. polination is important. Good soil health and consistent watering is also important.

From the sounds of it, you're planting in not great soil and not watering consistently.

Post a pic of where you just buried a hundred seeds. What kind of spacing?
>>
>>2725975
That's impressive. A pumpkin takes about 100 days from planting, that's 3 months.
>>
>>2725922
>>2725924
glad it survived and it looks cool now but that exposed deadwood will rot eventually and then the trunk will be massively compromised. It's not dead now but that cut decades off its life.
>>
>>2725958
I'm over here growing tomatoes and peppers lol, I'm at least a couple years early before cash crop status. Nigger.
>>
>>2725987
Plant early June (or Memorial day if youre american) That gives you June, july, August, and September. Thats 4 months.
Frost doesn't hit until late October here. Probably better in zone 6. Loads of time for pumpkins.
>>
I just planted a fig tree 2' from a concrete patio in my back yard. Since then I was reading about fig trees and apparently they have 'invasive roots' and shouldn't be planted near buildings.

Have I fucked up? It's just a babby so I could replant it if need be.
>>
I bought these Joan J raspberry bushes, and for some reason they kept growing twisted around into spirals. I checked the tag, and it turns out they sent me Joan J Ito raspberries by mistake.
>>
>>2726082
That sounds lit.
>>
File: IMG_1915.jpg (231 KB, 480x640)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
Was gifted a blueberry bush last weekend. How do I even give it a chance? I’m in a limestone area and those don’t grow here, at least the wild ones. Dug a large-ish hole and filled it with rhododendron soil which should help, but how do I continue? Mulch it with spruce needles and granite gravel?
And WTF is up with my fava beans. It’s been over two weeks now and I still can’t see anything sprouting.
>>
>>2726110
There are tricks for planting blueberries in soil that trends alkaline. The main one is to grow them in a big container. This can include putting them in a container and then nesting the container in the ground, if you want the flush appearance and the insulation during winter. Just putting in acidic soil as an amendment doesn't really work because eventually it equalizes and the dominant pH will muscle in.
Just my take, though. I'm in an acidic area and don't have to use the aforementioned tricks, so I have very little experience with regard to how effective they are.
>>
>>2726115
I mean, having them in a big pot in a soil mix with their ideal pH is almost guaranteed to work. Nesting the container in a hole is a bit sketch, because I'm unsure how the pH would be affected just by potential backflow through the drainage hole. Probably minimally, but I feel the need to mention it.
>>
Between Albion, Seascape, and Mara Des Bois, which is the better strawberry to grow in the home garden?
>>
>>2726082
Waka waka!
>>
>>2726110
You're on the right track with the acidic soil mix, I usually just do 50/50 good soil/peat mix. Pine needles don't really do anything, I just use regular hardwood mulch and sprinkle sulfur because the pH will rise as the mulch starts to break down. Most blueberries are partially self-fertile but you will get a much larger yield with two blueberries with roughly the same blooming time. However make sure that it is the same type (highbush, lowbush, rabbiteye etc) What variety did you get?
>>
Anyone got experience with tapping trees?

I don't have a lot of maples around me, but I have a TON of black walnuts, and I heard that walnut syrup was actually a thing.
>>
>>2726199
>>2726110
You should substitute peat moss with coconut coir. It works just about as well but it's more sustainable.

The way farmers reduce the pH of their soil is by watering it with a strong acid that breaks down into a nutrient their soil needs more of like sulfuric acid or nitric acid, but it's not a permanent fix. A better fix is to incorporate as much compost into your soil as possible. Amending the compost with biochar will improve the pH buffering capacity of the compost. Avoid putting calcium in your compost since there's already plenty of lime in your soil.
>>
everybody does herbs and low nutrional value vegetables like tomatoes and similars. is it viable to grow beans/grains at home ?
>>
>>2726255
>sustainable
In Burgerland we get Canadian peat that grows faster than it's harvested, but I hear it's an issue in other places
>>
>>2725893
Depends on a lot, how much you are willing to invest and how much experience you have. At the basics you have to be able to till the ground to plant, further disturb the ground to weed (cultivate), grind grain in a mill, and store both raw grains and flour.
Your options for tillage for this much area are a walk-behind tiller like the Maxim series (1500$) or any old tractor with a 3 point hitch and pto shaft (5,000$ if youre lucky and probably more, plus 2k$ for tiller attachment). Could go for new sub-compact tractor but that will be tens of thousands of dollars. If you space your rows properly you can do both the tilling and cultivating with the walk behind tiller, it is just going to be time and labor intensive but that is what you need to go with for a few years if you're just getting into this. If you get a tractor with a tiller, you also need a cultivator attachment for weeding which is a few hundred new.
You may need a grain mill if you'll be making breads which can be a hundred to over a thousand depending on how much you need to process. I use a grain-maker hand-cranked mill and I think it cost me about 700$. I use large glass containers to store both dried grain and flours, the cost of those depends on how much you'll be storing raw. A lot of your corn can go in the freezer to be eaten on the cob or scraped.
If you know the basics about keeping soil good, fertile, and your crop rows weeded, it isn't that hard. Depends on how much you value your time and value not being saturated with glyphosate and atrazine from commercial farmed grain. You can certainly do it all by yourself, so no need to pay for any labor. Like I said, it is just your time, but this is time well spent in my book.
>>
>>2726241
Yeah, it's pretty easy.
They've got cheap kits you can order on Amazon with taps, tubes, guidebooks, and everything.

I've got a few acres of sugar maples.

Started out trying it with ~10 trees last year and made some tasty syrup.
Next year I'm going to scale up the operation and probably end up with gallons of syrup.

Didn't know you could tap black walnut.
But I know Beech sap/syrup is also popular.
>>
File: Resized_20240430_121626.jpg (993 KB, 2016x980)
993 KB
993 KB JPG
My potato plants keep breaking off near the base. At first I thought it might be the heavy wind and rain we've been getting constantly, so I piled some more dirt around them like I'm sure I needed to do anyway. Then it happened again. Now I think it might be rabbits; are rabbits known to chew through potato plants?

Other ideas welcome too. Probably just need to pile a fuckton more dirt around them.
>>
>>2726259
I've been curious about growing wheat. I think the season might be over for it though right? Specifically red winter wheat
>>
>>2726128
I had the same dilemma as you so I ended up ordering 25 bare roots of each. I have a feeling I'll like all of them too much to choose just one
>>
>>2726277
How much sap did you get out of your trees and how much syrup did that work out to once you refined it?

Maples are chosen for syrup because they make a lot of sugary sap, while the black walnut also puts a lot of its starches into making nuts and stuff, compared to the much smaller maple seed, but it DOES make a sweet sugary syrup.

Apparently just about any true nut-bearing hardwood besides oaks (which are full of bitter tannins) makes a syrup-able sap, but maples are just the best at it.
>>
>>2726276
Wanted to add you can get used and older and take some cost off... there are maintenance risks with much older machines obviously. For example an old Furgeson TO-30 can be found for 3,000$ and you could get a turn plow, harrow, and/or non-rotary tiller for relatively cheap. You can also use a two-stroke tiller if that is all you can afford and have the time, but a new field that hasn't been worked before or in a long time needs a deep turning.
>>
>>2726259
Problem with most grains is you need to process it a lot before before you can eat something out of it.
If you go for classic wheat bread for example first you need to separate grains and get them out of husk then grind it and only then you can make dough.
Some are better in that it's easy to separate them even by hand and they don't need to be grinned.
It's just easier to grow something like potatoes that can be eaten after peeling and cooking and stores well too.
>>
>>2726259
Neither grains nor beans have the high score for nutrition tho, that honor goes to tubers such as potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams
According to https://www.fao.org/4/t0207e/T0207E04.htm
>>
>>2726395
potatoe, milk, nutritionally complete meal.
>>
>>2726395
>Peanuts are almost as good as wheat in caloric yield per hectare
Huh
>>
>>2726392
Bullshit. I mill all my own flours from grain berries. Less than five minutes after hitting the on button I can make nutritious breads and pastas. Sifting to obtain branless pasta flour is a PITA but the results are worthwhile, it's just repetitive.

Freshly milled organic flour is highly nutritious with micronutrients, vitamins and minerals. I also sprout some of the grain and eat the sprouts, which are delicious.
>>
>>2726319
Decided to go with the Mara for now. Charlotte was another variety on my radar, but it's like $30 for 10 roots.
>>
File: bIMG_2642.jpg (202 KB, 1200x900)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Addition to the greenhouse, a cross bar to hang string for tomatoes, also a spot for hanging baskets. Because of the dome there wasn't enough room to get a drill up there to make a bolt hole. So I got a drill / impact driver right angle attachment. Then of course I needed to get a set of drill bits with a 1/4" shank. Even then I needed to undo some of the plastic pieces holding down the plastic. If I didn't already have a piece of rusty 1" square steel tube up in the garage rafters, I would have made something out of wood instead. Nowadays that piece would be over $50.

It turns out I needed the right angle adapter to put the last 3 bolts in the new gazebo. Even with a taller ladder the railing kept me from getting close enough to reach them.

My garlic started coming up today. The tomatoes in starter trays came up over a week ago. Then suddenly 2 of the cells I thought were duds had plants pop up today.
>>
>>2726304
>>2726259
Best guy I know for grains is this leftist who runs "low tech institute". Grains have a lot of benefits if you're growing a survival garden and want to provide a serious part of your calories on your own. Maize is probably the most approachable if you don't have a solid setup for threshing/winnowing.
Rice is probably awesome if you have a paddy to flood and even in Japan rural people grow their own rice somewhat often.
The most underappreciated thing about grains vs tubers is that processing grains might take a long time but it can be down at a casual rate with low effort. Digging out potatoes will work you out but winnowing,threshing wheat is pretty relaxed.
>>
>>2726463
I think Mara will be the best for fresh eating but the other two will be better for jam due to higher yield. I'm a fiend for some jam
>>
>>2726466
>Rice is probably awesome if you have a paddy to flood
You don't need to flood rice. You can just grow it in the dirt like everything else.
>>
>>2726303
Buy a have a heart trap put it up near the potatoes update us when you catch something remember to put bait in it
>>
>>2726487
I mean, potato plants are toxic. If something is eating it, it probably crawled under something and died.
>>
>>2726489
Yeah, unless it's a Chuba Cabra
>>
Got atlas gold fig.
Not sure if this cultivar is so rare or it's just one of many names for something but I can't find anything about it online.
Let's see how it turns out.
>>
My cherry tomato seedling that's only around 9-10 inches tall has started producing flower buds, should I pinch them off? It's a determinate variety that's yet to be transplanted outside and I want to encourage more growth.
>>
>>2726569
>seedling
I guess it's not a seedling at this point but you know what I mean, young plant.
>>
>>2726276
>>2726388
Got it. Thanks!
>>
anyone tried pairing pepper plants immediatley next to eachother?

started about 24 plants and i've got spacing for 12 in my bed, I'm seeing some stuff about placing 2 plants in the same hole for optimal yield or pollenization

male attention grabbing image
>>
>>2726241
red, sugar and silver maple all produce very sweet sap

just FYI when you're talking about actual syrup production you're talking about boiling a big oil drum full of raw sap down into about 10% of that amount in actual thin, refined syrup. the sap is almost entirely water.

many trees can be tapped, i've not heard of walnut tapping but i'd do research on toxicity of of the sap for anything else, very unlikely that the literal blood of the tree is going to contain much other than glucose and water in general though
>>
>>2726584
You can get away with it but it wont help them really
>>
>>2726265
Sure, on paper. The reality is that harvesting usually destroys or damages the ecosystem the moss grows in which prevents it from growing back after harvesting.
>>
>>2726584
>>2726596
Peppers do better as a pair. They shade each other so you get more and bigger fruit.
>>
>>2726555
Figs have been in cultivation for so long that a single variety has dozens of names in different languages. Many common types are old enough to have unknown origins - the information having been lost to history
>>
>>2726584
Peppers are self pollinating, I usually give them a gentle shaking every day or so when the flowers are open.
>>
Most of my onions are up, and we're getting some lovely May snow. Its all melting as soon as it hits the ground.
>>
>>2726584
what kind of peppers?
>>
I can't wait for it to warm up enough that I can leave my plants in the greenhouse overnight. I've only got 5 trays, but it is annoying having to move them twice a day.
>>
>>2726713
I feel you. I have a table I leave mine on and for me last frost is at the end of the month.
>>
These are the pits of unripe peaches. My young tree's branches are broken. Some damn animal.
>>
File: 1697512376192008.png (346 KB, 469x406)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
I have petunias. They're getting brown tips. What can I do to improve this?

I also need to transplant it. I've never transplanted a plant before. I'll be using Mother Earth Groundswell (some performance blend, if it's good enough for the weed growers it's good enough for my petunias).

My current idea is to do a little bit of soil, moisten it, do more soil, moisten it, etc, etc. Make a hole for the current roots, place it in, gently pack. But I have 0 idea what I'm doing.
>>
File: KIMG0181.jpg (1.61 MB, 1944x2592)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>2725634
Corn is coming up
>>
>>2726303
Looks like the work of cut worms.I never grew potatoes,but I've lost entire rows of peppers to these bastards.
>>
I hate mowing so much. I wish boomers and their shit ass lawn ordinances would just fucking die already.
>>
>>2726750
Most likely squirrels or raccoons.
>>
>>2726841
I'm going to pour chili powder all around the base.
>>
>>2726840
Based
>>
Hi all. The HOA (or the lobotomites they hire) sprayed a bunch of my native plants with round up. The plants im most upset they sprayed were the Solidago goldenrods I grew from seed that I collected on my hikes. Anyone have a similar experience? Some have died back entirely, others the leaves have turned white and thin but still have green grow points, and others have just burns from the splatter.

I believe that theyll bounce back from the root but after a bit of reading Im a little afraid. Apparently roundup can take up to 2 weeks to kill a plant to the root, and it seems roundup is often recommended to kill goldenrod.

Im very very very upset. My garden is really the only reason I havent committed suicide.
>>
File: KIMG0183.jpg (2.6 MB, 1944x2592)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
Compost material collection...
>>
File: KIMG0191.jpg (2.02 MB, 1944x2592)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>2726943
Yes im a larper
>>
>>2726906
Bill them for it and take them to court when they refuse to pay you.
>>
>>2726943
It's about time for me to get my scythe out too.
>>
Good morning, I hate fire ants. My world for a method to exterminate them completely off the face of the planet forever.
>>
>>2726999
Predatory nematodes
>>
>>2726784
Anyone?
>>
>>2726784
>>2727086
Where do you live? In my part of the world, southern US, zone 9, petunias are a winter plant and are starting to complete their life cycle this time of year. Even here, they are considered annuals and will beocome sad in the summer heat.
>>
>>2726828
Beautiful. What variety?

>>2727069
And how does one go about encouraging these?
>>
>>2727131
Trucker's Favorite White
>>2726959
Nice, what kind do you use?
>>
>>2726958
You cant get compensation for plants you grew from seed. No invoice no luck
>>
>>2727131
You can buy them online and water them into your soil
>>
File: IMG-3038.jpg (855 KB, 828x761)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
Sup anons, i have planted 200-250 strawberry plants, everything is in nice rows but I fear the mice will destroy the harvest like last year. I have several rolls of 6x6mm steel mesh, 1m tall, I want to burrow it 40cm, will it be enough or am I wasting 200 euros of materials? How much of a harvest can I expect from 250 June bearing plants in a temperate climate and plrnyty of water anyway?
>>
>>2727186
Waste. They will find a way in. You must eliminate them if you want a successful harvest. If you don't they will just grow greater in number.
>>
>>2727186
Get snakes or other predatory animals like cats.
>>
>>2727193
Fuuck, well thanks for the tip, I had started digging but the bighest issue is that I cannot get this kind of fence anymore (supplier won't ship here anymore) and I need to make a fence for rabbits and or chicken too next year. Happy growing to you all anyway;)

>>2727194
There are stray cats but still the 20 plants I had last year produced a few berries each but all of them were damaged before I could harvest. Those suckers need to make a bite in every single one BTW.
>>
>>2727155
A European snath with a ditch blade right now. I want to get a good grass blade this year now that I have more experience.
>>
>>2727172
Could you use an invoice from a nursery to establish the value of raising those plants from seed?
>>
>>2727198
I'm gonna try putting chili powder fucking everywhere around my plants in hopes of deterring the little shits.
>>
>>2726906
You must be resilient, like the plants. Please fight, you are worth it. You will gather more seeds. You will grow more plants.
>>
File: 1713186418730847.jpg (1.21 MB, 3152x1004)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
Got my new 40x2.5ft raspberry/blackberry row shaped out. Did it all with an edging shovel and my root slayer shovel and boy am I sore as fug. I just cut the grass out in rectangles and flipped it upside down. Going to build another 4x8 raised bed and berry trellises next week, not totally set on a specific design yet
>>
File: 1689477184679365.png (1.46 MB, 768x1024)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>2727267
Also considering building some of these to protect my 100 new strawberry plants. If it works, down the line I'll add a hinged roof
>>
>>2727271
bees can't help pollinate
>>
Well my xie shan and miho wase arrived today, they look a little worse for wear from the shipping but I guess that's life.
>>
So jealous of all of you. I have one raised bed in my tiny yard to use..
>>
>>2726303
Definitely looks like some sort of pest fuckery. Some faggot let 2 domesticated rabbits loose in my area and a family behind me started feeding them. They tore up my cabbage and it looked just like this.
>>
>>2727370
we all started with one bed in a tiny space.
>>
Anyone know of a good way to remove Takahashia japonica? I got a tree absolutely infested with them.
>>
File: Anger.jpg (19 KB, 495x362)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2725600
Attention gentlemen, I have an announcement to make;

Birds are niggers.

That is all.
>>
>>2727370
I have to drive 1 hour to get to my allotment where there is about 99% chance everything I plant will get destroyed if I don't build fort nox around it.
Or heatwave will destroy it.
Or floods.
Or some other disaster.
Fun.
>>
>>2727522
Incorrect. Birds are natural pesticide. You are a retard.
>>
>>2727529
Same here. The squirrels and mice and racoons and pigs and deer destroy everything I plant.
>>
>>2727533
I've been feeding birds all winter in a hope they will return the favour this spring yet there are still caterpillars everywhere.
Explain this science hippie.
>>
Got my citrus trees put into pots this afternoon, I hope they do well.
My tulips are also doing really well now too, although something has been eating my lilies as they come out of the ground.
>>
The city's annual free compost day is tomorrow. Cleared out my large storage bins. I saved a lot more container soil from last season than I thought. Filled up most of my big planters.
>>
File: Sniffles.jpg (48 KB, 793x786)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2727533
My peas aren't pests. They're literally pulling my shoots out the ground and are not even eating them. It's just plain vandalism.
>>
File: bur oak.jpg (282 KB, 960x1280)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
So my Bur oak is growing two stems from the same acorn. Seems like some codominant thing from online looking. Should i trim one back eventually or will be it fine to let both grow?
>>
>>2727272
Not my pic but the bees had no trouble getting in and out of the netting I used last year
>>
The front yard compost patch is almost linked up to the back yard compost patch, just need 10 to 15 more yards of compost to finish up.
>>
>>2727627
Berries berries berries berries. Berries, grapes, everything, all day.
>>
>>2727535
You need wasps for caterpillars. They'll examine every one of your plants individually and pull off the caterpillars.
>>
>>2727555
Plant marigolds and other puffy flowers. They love to pull them apart so they should leave your peas alone.
>>
>>2727627
what are you going to grow there? or just clearing around the trees to make it more open? Even a nice grass there will look nice and tidy and let the trees be the focal point.
>>
>>2727630
Just going to be grass for now, need somewhere to play fetch, plus grapes would be bad for my dog.
>>
>>2727753
I'm putting down 150lbs of metro mix seed for the majority of the lawn, then about 25 lbs of Kentucky 31 tall fescue along the edge of the road to match what's there, and I've got about 10lbs of fine fescue mix for around the compost pile where it's all shade. In the fall I'm going to overseed with pure Kentucky bluegrass, because it takes too long to germinate to plant in the spring.
>>
>>2727758
>>2727755
yeah i think it will look nice there. id say dont get rid of the rest of the trees. provide a nice shade area. should look nice when all settled in by next year.
>>
File: 1700054437239836.png (868 KB, 1051x666)
868 KB
868 KB PNG
Plant shopping on Etsy when
>>
Help. Where do I find logs for my shiitake mushrooms I wanna grow. Online people charging like $80 for a small log which is outrageous.
>>
>>2727787
Look for people selling cord wood on Craigslist and ask to look over their newest logs. They'll probably want a few hundred dollars for a whole cord, so I'm sure you could fill up your trunk for $80.
>>
>24C
>24% RH
>blasting sum
how the fuck do you guys survive working your garden in this kind of heat?
i manage 20 minutes, then i need to go inside and cool off in the airconditioner for 20 minutes
>>
>>2727773
>tfw i got like 40 bristlecone pines that germinated when i only meat to do like 5
maybe I can sell them in a few months for $7.99 each or something.
>>
>>2727808
Lots of water.
>>
>>2725600
do these rodent repelling plants like peppermint, garlic etc work against rats or is it just bullshit? I need something to protect my strawberries they destroy any barrier I make.
>>
>>2727773
I'm pretty sure I've seen plant cuttings on etsy.
>>
>>2727186
mice repellants:
>any type of mint, amaryllis, sweet pea, lavender, daffodils, wood hyacinth (or squill), grape hyacinth, alliums, catnip, camphor plant, elderberry, euphorbias, and wormwood.

I'd interplant bulbs right next to strawberries, with catmint or lavender all along the row.
>>
>>2727553
The compost was really nice this year. I ended up going back a second time. 5 x 104L totes. Dumped one at my brother's house, another in a flower bed, spread a 3rd over my garlic, onions and potatoes and have 2 full ones left for when I plant my containers and remainder of the garden when it gets warmer.
>>
>>2727840
>>2727858
This
>>
>>2727880
I have rats not mice huge rats like 50cm long would mint really stop them? Also some kind of animal keeps shitting on my pathway...
>>
>>2727898
It's not like it will kill them or anything, they just won't want to be around such strong smells.

>Also some kind of animal keeps shitting on my pathway...
Can't help you there.
>>
Just finished painting wood for my composting bin.
Only waiting for chicken wire to arrive so I can put it on the bottom.

>>2727898
Vast majority of living beings with exception for humans dislikes the smell of mint.
>>
>>2727544
Your yard looks great. Maybe consider filling in those dead spots with yarrow, clover, or thyme
>>
>>2728011
My fiances dogs pee in the same spots on the grass no matter what one tries to do, but yes I will try to plant something there.
>>
>>2728088
Take them for short walks several times a day and let them pee somewhere else.
>>
>>2728088
Try adding compost and biochar to help break down the urine faster. Mycorrhizal fungi would be worth putting down too.
>>
>>2728105
You won't miss a single opportunity to talk about biochar, will you?
>>
>>2728107
Nope. It's the single most useful soil amendment with compost being a close second and mycorrhizae being a close third. It's especially important to me because I live in the western US which is experiencing a drought which is made worse by improper water and soil management.
>>
if I only feed my dogs organic human food that I eat, can I use their poo in my compost?
>>
>>2728123
You should look into composting manure before you attempt it. It's fine to add, but you need to make sure you do it right and you should treat the finished compost as a biohazard. Using different methods to repeatedly compost it would be better. Look into bokashi fermentation as a first step and consider vermicomposting as a second step before adding the finished vermicompost to your hot compost pile. That should be a safe pathway that should reduce the pathogenic load to the point that you can treat it as normal compost.
>>
>>2727762
I got got rid of most of the trees I wanted gone all at once, it was easier to use the stumps as anchor points for winches and pulleys by leaving them up 2-3ft. I won't really know how I like it until I experience all the seasons, but either way I prefer to do tree work in the winter when the ground is hard, plus my municipality only allows "open burning" from January through April, I wouldn't make any progress burning brush in my 3ft metal fire pit, compared to my 12ft bonfires.
>>
>>2728090
I do with one but one of them is pretty crippled with some degenerative neurological issue.
>>
File: IMG_6764.jpg (2.33 MB, 5472x3648)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>2726828
Corn is making a decently even stand but some leaves are getting nipped here and there, some of the little sprouts are shaved down. I expect the field to be full stand nonetheless
>>
>>2728260
Looks pretty good so far.
>>
File: IMG_6804.jpg (1.58 MB, 5472x3648)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>2728261
Thanks
>>
>>2728275
Cute cat too.
>>
I'm not sure where else to ask, I'm not having any luck with google searches. I sourced some native seeds and wanted to spread them inconspicuously around the area. There's a lot of poorly maintained areas where I think they will be mostly left alone until they grow too high. I was wondering if I would have any luck just tossing them on top of soil or if I absolutely had to till/toss the soil. I'm hoping to restore a little bit of life to this hellscape.
>>
>>2728300
Look into clay seed balls/bombs. They protect your seeds from being eaten and provide a good environment for germination. You can add in fertilizers and soil conditioners like compost, biochar, mycorrhizal fungi, ect. As long as there's enough moisture your seeds should do fine.
>>
>>2728302
Thanks! Looks like "clay seed bomb" was the keywords I needed to figure out how to do this.
>>
>>2728126
thank you
humans are so much better than google searches
>>
>>2728304
that anons advice is good. also check out amazon for local meadow mixes. they are usually tuned for each state and are pretty quick growers. you could populate a whole field pretty quickly if no ones there weekly to cut it.
>>
>>2728304
No problem. You can also use seed balls to direct seed your own garden, or establish seeds on untended parts of your property.
>>
>>2728328
You should still do a few google searches, but I hope I've helped point you in the right direction.
>>
I should be able to leave the plants in the greenhouse most of the week. Only one cold night. Still no carrots yet, the peas I planted the same weekend just started coming up so I hope to see some carrots this week. Rain a few days so I don't have to worry about them drying out now that the rows are uncovered.
>>
File: 1703656973144.jpg (3.88 MB, 4624x3468)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB JPG
bb's first germination. only plants I've grown was DUDE W33D LMAO years ago when I was a degen.
>>
File: 1707645027576.jpg (4.17 MB, 4624x3468)
4.17 MB
4.17 MB JPG
>>2728480
I put those seedlings into here while I wait for final frost. hoping it is warm enough and enough sunlight for these tomatoes to survive for now.
>>
File: 1705377366919.jpg (704 KB, 1080x1259)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
>>2728483
these are the next seeds I am sprouting indoors
>>
>>2728485
Looks good, anon. You might want to invest in a heat mat and an air layering tray.
>>
>>2728480
protip: paper towel germination is a dude weed lmao meme
>>
>>2728491
please do educate me. I don't wish to remain ignorant
>>
File: kino.jpg (76 KB, 900x841)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>2728492
It's just more unnecessary transplanting, and deprives seedlings of light for their first few days. Everyone recommends it for germinating the three seeds you found in your dimebag but if you're growing more than a few plants you'll have a better time just starting them directly in an egg carton or milk jug.
>>
>>2728493
that's good to know thanks a bunch
>>
File: Air-Prune-Tray_1200x.jpg (91 KB, 1200x1200)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>2728492
An air layering propagation tray gives your sprouts a good start and encourages root growth which lessens transplant shock. A heat mat speeds up and improves germination.
>>
File: 1689220019814483.jpg (73 KB, 710x453)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
So any guess on why my tomatoes were all sour last year? Some big nutrient I am missing? I spread cow compost at the start of the season and the thought I kept them well fertilized but I don't wanna make the same mistake again this year. Any idea what else I would need to put down? I spread a bunch of cow manure before winter so soil should be reasonably nutrient dense but wondering if there's something else I need to add.
>>
>>2728498
Test your soil acidity. Acidic soil can make tomatoes taste more sour. Make an indicator as in pic related and gather up a bunch of representative soil samples from a few different depths. Cover the samples with the indicator and let it sit for a while. The longer the better. Strain each sample or wick up the indicator with a paper towel and compare the color to the chart. You want your soil pH to be between 6 and 7.
>>
>>2728498
It's not rocket science, you plant sour cultivars, you get sour tomatoes.
>>
>>2728497
thanks, also good to know. I'm going the cheap route while I see if I enjoy gardening. but If I do, I'll grab one of these. cheers
>>
>>2728500
I'll double check it but i recall testing my ph last year and it was in that range. Strange. I'll get another tester kit and run it back again.

>>2728502
I didn't plant any cultivars I'd expect to be sour. Honestly they were just really sour and bitter. Really a huge bummer
>>
File: IMG_1757.jpg (1.08 MB, 2048x1536)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Biochar anon I have made dust/powder from a few gallons of long mostly forgotten coals I had reserved to make an improvised water filter. Speak to me your wisdom or ramblings if you please.
I wore a stand construction mask while grinding my shed was like a lite coal mine.
>>
>>2728516
I hope you were wearing some sort of dust maks when you did that
>>
>>2728123
carnivore/omnivore shit is disgusting, not nearly as easy to compost as herbivore shit
>>
>>2728480
Hey congrats. Protip, use a tupperware/chinese soup container with a little sand at the bottom instead of paper towels, it's a lot easier.
>>
>>2728522
thank you kindly, I'll do that next time
>>
>>2728500
That's a neat trick! Thanks for the info, anon.
>>
>>2728508
You don't really need a kit. Just spend like $1 on cabbage and you're good to go.
>>
making my yearly spring ending post to hgm. this is my lilac bush i planted in 2000 when i was 11. it was a tiny cut off of another bush my dad was ripping out because who knows. anyways, ive been doing nothing to it for most of these years, but I have been trimming it back the last few.

>>2725922
what happened, did it get hit by lightning?
>>
>>2728506
you dont really need one of those. you can just take a solo cup and poke holes in the bottom really and still get results. its just better to give soil coverage instead of wet towel method. just figure the less times you move them out of their current spot the better. when you move them they usually stop growing for a while to sort out roots underneath before climbing again. so giving them more room to start with for roots helps them out.
>>
>>2728563
not sure if you seen my 2nd pic here-
>>2728483 but I planted the seedlings down in this soil with poked holes on the bottom of the egg carton.
but very good to know I'll just start them in larger containers in the future. appreciate the helpful and not condescending info. I am a rookie
>>
>>2728516
I'll make it extra ramble-y, since I've been invoked by name. The mask was a good idea. They don't keep everything out, but I have breathed a lot of charcoal dust that could have been avoided with a mask. Showers help. Now that you've ground it up you need to find a way to charge your biochar. My favorite way is to feed it to livestock at 2% feed weight. It improves their digestion, reduces the odor of their manure, and provides a vehicle for probiotics like yogurt, apple cider vinegar, or yeast. If you don't have livestock then you can add it to your compost pile, but with that amount you may want to use it more directly. You can use it raw for a seed starting mix, even though it's a little late in the year. I like to use 1 part biochar, 1 part vermicompost, and 2 parts coconut coir as a seed starter. The biochar takes up nutrients and beneficial microbes from the vermicompost and increases the drainage of the mix. You can also use it to start mushrooms. Look up a mix that uses vermiculite and replace the vermiculite with your biochar. Sterilize and inoculate the mix and the pore sizes of the biochar will encourage more vigorous colonization than vermiculite. A final suggestion is to make a potting mix for herbs or your favorite potted plants. Mix equal parts compost and biochar and soak it with water for a week or so. Mix in equal parts soil from your garden or the old soil from your potted plants and replant or seed new plants in the new potting mix. If your soil is heavy or doesn't hold water well then you can add coconut coir. I would start with 10% by volume and I wouldn't recommend exceeding 25% unless your plant really likes moist soil.
>>
>>2728526
No problem, anon. May you save many dollars on soil testing.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/FunnyAnimals/comments/1ckhnve/dog_is_a_irrigation_specialist/
lol
>>
File: IMG_1706.jpg (1.35 MB, 2048x1536)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
>>2728580
Seems it would be best to amend the compost pile and/or add 1:10 with soil mixtures. I can produce more char as I have more campfires. Would you say its good or bad for tomatoes and peppers, most of what I grow?
pic is from recent years.
>>
>>2728579
>appreciate the helpful and not condescending info. I am a rookie
get a small grow light and drainage and you can pretty much grow anything. its super easy.
>>
>>2728586
Either of those would be great uses. It should be great for tomatoes and peppers because they like well draining soils. Your garden looks great. Your basils look very lush and I like that long planter of cilantro. Chives are a good perennial that have pretty flowers after the first year and I think they'd make a great addition to your garden.
>>
>>2728605
>planter of carrots
>>
>>2728611
Lol I see it now. I grow more cilantro than carrots and they have a similar leaf shape
>>
i found some allegheny blackberry growing in my yard
how realistic is it to root some cuttings off it for a garden?
and does anyone here have any experience with it?

i'm not originally from any area that had berry bushes, so it seems like it'd be really cool to have a bunch of native blackberry plants that i got for free thanks to the birds
>>
>>2728491
>>2728480
Idk about "dude weed", I learned this in third grade and it works lol. why are you gatekeeping gardening, sperg?
>>
>>2728659
>I learned this in third grade and it works lol
same
we did lima beans on a paper towel in sandwich bags, we all wrote our name on each one
like a week later the room smelled like rotting ass, and nobody knew why, and i was the only person to suggest "maybe its the beans"
the only bean outta like 30 that wasn't moldy ended up being mine, and because i sussed out the stench while having the only good one, i got a reward, don't remember what it was though
thats probably also one of the reasons i hate lima beans, i can still smell that fucking stench
>>
>>2728652
>how realistic is it to root some cuttings off it for a garden?
Seems realistic

>does anyone here have any experience with it?
I only have experience with thornless but mine likes to root from tips, it's easier than taking root cuttings, just tie down one cane so it's tip touches the ground and put a bit of soil over the tip (just a bit), it should root pretty fast, tip itself might continue growing forward and go above soil again sprouting leaves, if it does that when you cut off it from mother plant you'll have a cane with roots in the middle, cut in half and you'll have two cuttings with roots.

>it seems like it'd be really cool to have a bunch of native blackberry plants
If it's anything like wild blackberry we have here be warned it'll spread a lot, consider a root barier if this specie is the same.
>>
>temperature is finally stable enough to start planting
>spent 2 hours weeding
>filled up some planters with soil for my moms Spinach
>got to wash off my hands arms and legs with cold hose water
Probably gonna start off with the Jalapenos and Potatoes later today. Missed this shit like you wouldn't believe.
>>
File: PXL_20240506_133907455.jpg (2.91 MB, 3840x2160)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
Should I even bother trying to thin these out? They're poppies.
>>
>>2728659
I think he's just retarded, it works fine for me
>>
>>2728659
>>2728793
>literally third grade/stoner tier
are you afraid of dirt? baby duck syndrome?
>>
>>2728807
I should have read the thread further before commenting....your idea of egg cartons filled with soil is actually smart. I should do that. The reason I do (or now, did....) the paper towel thing is so that I can "prove" the seeds before I use up a pot or plot of land with a plant. What you said makes a lot of sense though with regards to light; HOWEVER, the way I do the wet towel thing is I put them on my windowsill which has some kind of light all day, as well as a grow light, so, they are getting SOME kind of light
>>
File: 1683823465790855.jpg (2.2 MB, 2582x2415)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
I just ordered a Cupid and a Valentine, now I gotta figure out a place to put them. Also got a Tundra and Blue Banana honeyberry
>>
>>2728815
We have a big cooking cherry tree in our back garden, has been there since I was a toddler. I'm 28 now and it's been left as an ornamental tree so the cherrys are now always out of our reach and the birds always get them instead, hope you enjoy those future fruits.
>>
File: IMG_20240506_101223406.jpg (2.98 MB, 3000x3196)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
My fingerling potatoes live
>>
>>2727808
The trick is to buy one of those headlamps and do all of your gardening at night
>>
Best method to heat a greenhouse to tropical temperature the whole winter?
>>
>>2728943
Depends how much effort and cash you are willing to put into it.

The simplest would be an electric heater but that comes with really high electric bill.
For high upfront cost of good insulation like double pane glass paired with cheapest form of heat generation in your area you get smaller but still substantial heating cost.
Alternatively you could forgo the greenhouse entirely and just set up a room indoors with strong grow lights, if you live somewhere really far North with less than 6 hours of sunlight you'll likely need grow lights anyways.
You could lower your cost somewhat by using heat of decomposing manure/compost to heat your greenhouse.
>>
>>2728966
This, but also use solar to heat water and run the water through pipes in the ground of the greenhouse. You want them to be deep enough that the ground retains heat all night, but that's hard to calculate. Maybe bury the pipes vertically so they heat the ground deeper.
>>
File: mallow.jpg (868 KB, 1869x1347)
868 KB
868 KB JPG
i love hairy plants
>>
File: KIMG0226.jpg (2.13 MB, 1944x2592)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
pumpkins doing great so far
>>
>>2729000
go lil guys go!
>>
>>2728814
I'm the one who posted the pics and expirementing for the first time. the seeds I germinated were not exposed to light at all. I did the paper towel method in a zip lock bag and put them in the cupboard beside my dishwasher. so they are being exposed to heat. seems to work just fine!
>>
Any banana growers here? Just got a couple varieties from a friend down in central Florida that are reported to be somewhat cold-hardy (Blue Java, Namwah, and Virupakshi/Indian Hill).

They're doing quite well right now even in the Pacific Northwest spring here. Daytime temps have been 50s/60s and two of them have nearly grown a foot in a month. Excited to see what they'll look like by October!
>>
>>2725893
Its not that hard as long as you plan ahead. If you do plan to use a tractor to do majority of cultivating. Make sure you space the crops to match your tractor's wheel spacing otherwise cultvating will be a bitch.
Money wise it all depends on how much you really plan on growing. It takes 10-20 lbs of seed to do a acre of corn while you'll need around 100-175 lbs of seed to do a acre of wheat. You can find 50 lb bags of seed corn for around $50+ and a 50 lb bags of seed wheat for $15 depending where you live. Thats not counting fertilizer and fuel.
The following years could be cheaper if you save some of the seed for planting the following year.
>>
Any recommendations for irrigation timers? I want to do 4 zones this year and if it works well expand to 8 later, or next year maybe. Has to be individually zoned though because my sprinklers use so much water I can only run one at a time off each of the two spigots.
>>
>>2729164
I'm an irrigation guy, hate to say it but out doesn't seem like timers are your solution. Sounds like you've got a pressure issue and are trying to use a timer as a very expensive splitter.

Instead of pre perforated drip line, could you use 20mm with individual dip heads? Great for trees. If it's a small awkward space could you use 5mm spray heads?
If it's a huge lawn, do you want stationary sprinkler heads at all because there are wire guided sprinklers that cover football fields that run on a single tap head.

Start with the optimum pressure system before worrying about your fittings.

OK so let's say you're overloading a tap, you actually need 4 lines off it. We've all done it.
What is the timer achieving for you?
>turning the water off
If you just use the timer to turn the water off, consider a manual in line splitter. You just water line 1 on Monday, line 2 on Tuesday. Cost you 10$, never fails.
>turning the water on
For lawns you might want to water overnight, but might still be able to reset an inline because again you can do that at any time.
>full automation
Set and forget.... problem is people who do this forget to check if it's leaking, out of battery, blocked etc.

Anyway see if you can get away with two outlets with two splitters. Why? 4 splitter heads cost a shit load and as soon as any one of the four breaks your in trouble.

Strong word on frost, frost totally wrecks these. Wrecks the lcd screen, fractures the screws, breaks the valve.
>>
This is the cheapest set up with 4 lines, downside is that you have to manually alternate lines. Wouldn't use it if flooding would be critical but for a lawn/shrubs then yea whatever.
>>
Other thing people often miss with sprinklers is that some at regulated and some are not.

A regulated sprinkler won't output more than it's meant to, which means you can put several in a line and they all should have the same output.

An unregulated sprinkler isn't necessarily worst, they often have far more range are suitable for high pressure, are cheap. Think brass. Downside is mostly that you can't rely mix them, they'll output the entire lines pressure no matter what else is on the line.

The next thing is the difference between static and rotating heads. Basically you use rotating whenever possible because they use a fraction of the pressure, often a 6th yet have the same range.

Also often overlooked is that you can put your sprinkler head on a pole to increase the range and overcome foliage issues
>>
>>2728966
>>2728992
Yeah, it seems the best will be a combination of passive heating with geothermal.
Thanks for conforming, anons.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (279 KB, 1000x817)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>2728998
Consider the sundew carnivorous plant
>>
>>2728778
no way, just let them grow
>>
>>2729089
Just remember that they take like 15 months or something insane to fruit. You don't get freezes down there, do you?
>>
File: DSC07882.jpg (369 KB, 1024x1024)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>2729194
>>
>>2729194
>>2729198
I love sundews. All of mine died when I changed zones.
>>
>>2729171
I've got quad splitters already, but I'm running these 106ft circumference sprinklers, they just use a lot of water, I've got plenty of water pressure, but these use a lot. I also have lots of trees I need to constantly relocate sprinklers to get around, I need to get my grass to germinate though and want timers because I can't be there all the time to run the water.
>>2729173
That would defeat the point of getting a quad timer though.
>>
Should I be pulling bean seedlings like this? I don't know what happened to the cotyledons, they look sick.
>>
>>2729265
Ah so you do have end line sprinklers, sorry for asking so many questions it's just a unusual use case and what you're running on it matters.

Usually someone using that much water would have a high pressure line and a pump, or more than one outlet.

Quad valve timer are awful became they cost a lot, and hard/ impossible to repair and as soon as any one of the four Val v es gives out then what? I've had a number of these over the years and none worked well. Pope ones work
You might consider getting a hammer force arrestor.
>>
File: IMG_2006.jpg (128 KB, 640x544)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
Went to my local sneeds and bought a few seeds.
Guess what I paid for the whole lot?
>>
I used to garden for fun now my brother, who is better than me at everything, has recently gotten into it as well and I simply can't let him have a better garden than me, he won't take this from me too. I'm burning through my pocketbook on fertilizers and mulch and even garden decorations just to mog him. Fuck him.
>>
>>2729297
>the manly need of growing bigger carrots than your enemy
I respect that. Get seed from one of those 1000kg pumpkins and challenge him to a friendly growing competition.
>>
>>2729297
Fuck you Frank you won't have a better garden than me
>>
>>2729279
5 złoty?
>>
>>2729297
When someone is able to grow just as good a garden with less cash investment, then I'd consider myself mogged

If I have to spend a fuckton on fertilizer, I realize that aside from the joy of gardening itself I'm kinda wasting my money and should have just went to the grocery store
>>
>>2729306
Did you just wake up from 20 years long coma?
5 złoty is like 2 seed packets at best those days, I spent 130 złoty on seeds alone this year.
>>
File: IMG_20240506_181618948.jpg (225 KB, 1185x889)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>2729272
forgot my image, dammit

what's wrong with them?
>>
File: bIMG_2649.jpg (430 KB, 1200x900)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
Tomato seedlings are starting to accelerate. After a week of mostly cloudy days we have a sunny stretch starting tomorrow. Another slow poke plant popped up the other day. Sprouted 2 weeks after everything else was up. They should have been started a few weeks earlier, but I don't have a grow light so they likely would have been spindly. I should get a light for next spring.
>>
>>2729306
You’re actually quite close. It was 1.8€, which is like 8 zloty. At this price, even if more than half are duds and they go bad next year, I just couldn’t say no. Got a new garden and want to try what grows and what doesn’t (carrots probably won’t work , very dense, clayey soil, but who cares, the pack was .19 cents).
Thanks Mr Hofer.
>>
i've planted the rest of my winged beans an hour ago, 7 got put into pots, and 8 was put along a fence, i think the pots are gonna do the best though
among the beans, there was a pair that both had 4 sprouts from 1 bean, with 2 primary stems, i found them extremely interesting, so i'm going to try to keep the seeds from them, and attempt to breed a variety that sprouts multiple stems per seeds, i imagine that would make growing them extremely quick, being essentially 2-4 plants per seed
had anyone ever heard of a bean that had multiple stems when sprouted?
with the luffa, the ground here is so clay filled that a couple are drowning (its literally just pure clay in some areas), but those in a section along the fence that doesn't really matter, so the rest, which are quite healthy, will most likely over take the area with ease, filling it out
i still got a ton of luffa in some sprouting pots, but i don't think i'm gonna plant them, the ground is quite hard to dig through, and i basically got enough luffa anyways
a weird thing i saw was this one luffa sprout that is just 2 leaves (imagerelated), it has nothing else, and hasn't been growing, i think its retarded, but i find it very cute, so i'm gonna keep it & see how long it lasts
its also been raining constantly here, so everything is growing like wildfire & i don't have to bother watering anything outside, so thats nice too
>>
File: 20240507_140215.jpg (481 KB, 2000x1125)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
Mini sweet peppers are doing well, on three plants there are seven or eight forming into peppers so far and more to come if I let them. No color changes yet, but hopefully soon. They're doing much better than last year's bell peppers, probably because I'm not drowning them.
>>
File: 20240507_172211.jpg (4.74 MB, 4160x3120)
4.74 MB
4.74 MB JPG
This is my first time growing blueberries. Can someone tell me why the flower buds are brownish? Some of them look white and healthy, and some even look like they're about the turn into blueberries. Is it diseased or something?
>>
>>2729378
it means that either they've been pollinated, are getting weathered, or have blight
>>
>>2729276
I figured the reliability would suffer, but the single timers aren't 4 times cheaper, and I like the coverage of those end line sprinklers, I need to mount some on T-stakes to get over my wood piles though
>>
>>2729297
Start making your own compost and put a bunch of biochar in it. Perennial fruits, herbs, and vegetables are an easy way to establish a nice garden without having to grow or buy plants to fill every space every year. Berry bushes, strawberries, grapes, edible ground covers, rosemary, thyme, chives, sage, asparagus, ect. are all great options that can make a garden look great. Use them to frame spots where you intend to grow annuals and consult companion planting lists and charts. The most important part is to ensure that you have a good sprinkler system
>>
>>2729279
2 monies
>>
File: Keyholegarden.gif (755 KB, 1440x875)
755 KB
755 KB GIF
>>2729297
Make a keyhole garden
>>
>>2729378
Those look like they've been pollinated to me

t. 15 blueberries
>>
>>2729297
Don't do that. You'll ruin the whole experience for yourself.
>>
File: 1704069257353101.png (217 KB, 700x889)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
The jury is in -- I don't like starting seeds outside of a soil medium. I think all my seedlings I transplanted into dirt cups died. I can come up with a few reasons but ultimately what I've discovered is taking them off the wet paper towel and putting them in something just flat out fucking sucks.

Anyways, do I just get some seeds now and sow them for my tomatoes or should I just order some transplants and if so where do I order them from? Any suggestions on good mail order transplants? I can check locally too of course but just in case I want some other varieties. It's all good I really started my seeds late anyways
>>
File: jiffy-peat-pellets.jpg (63 KB, 700x638)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2729438
if you think its too late in the season, it probably wouldn't hurt to grab some store bought plants, depending on the variety you want
when sprouting seeds, i always soak the seeds for 12-24 hours, then set them in peat pellets, once i see they've gotten a root / sprout, i'll put them in a soil cup until they're ready to be planted
making sure the seeds are warm via a sprouting heating pad helps a lot too
>>
>>2729438
You can buy seed starting soil mixes or coir plugs like anon suggested or you can make your own soil mix. I like to use 2 parts coconut coir, 1 parts vermicompost, 1 part biochar, and a little mix of mycorrhizal inoculant. You can use toilet paper tubes cut in half instead of a tray insert. Put them in a tray, lightly pack the soil into them until they're completely full, and fill the tray with water instead of watering them directly which can wash out your seeds.
>>
>>2729445
5b. So if I plant everything this week and next week I'd probably get a harvest since last frost was on Friday iirc. But I'm a little torn on just planting tomato seeds vs just buying a bunch of transplants kek.
Last year I did a seed tray with some soil mix like >>2729448 said but I started mid April like a dolt so I did the paper towel trick to speed it up and honestly I didn't find it any faster. So that's basically on me.

Idk with tomatoes is it really worth starting from seed this late?
>>
>>2729463
>Idk with tomatoes is it really worth starting from seed this late?
Depends on his zone and cultivar. I'm growing a cultivar this year that fruits in like 60 days
>>
>>2729463
>5b
>last frost was on Friday iirc
Are you use your in zone 5b? I'm in zone 5b and I'm still getting regular frosts. Some sources put last frost at the end of next month for me.
>>
>>2729465
Well maybe I will seed. But I don't have too much space so I might just take the easy way out kek.

>>2729466
Yep. Pueblo, co. Frosts are done here. I would have been ready to plant next week I'd reckon (I usually wait til mid May just in case)
>>
Is it too late to start seeds indoors in Zone 6? Never gardened before.
>>
File: TM781-32_1024x1024.jpg (137 KB, 900x950)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>2729463
>>2729468
its really hard to go wrong with cherry tomatoes
even if you started them from seed right now, you'll have a few harvests before frost
>>2729470
you still got time no problem
if you started now, it'll probably be perfect
what are you planing to grow?
>>
>>2729487
>what are you planing to grow?
Bell peppers, carrots, onions, and sweet potatoes.
>>
>>2729512
yeah you'll be fine
a warning about bell peppers though, a lot of times they like to never actually produce a pepper, i had that happen to me before
1st was a plant that ended up making only 1 pepper throughout the whole year, i think the zone i was in at the time was probably just too hot for them, but it'll happen if the zone is too cold too, they're very finicky
2nd was a pepper that i was growing with a shitty indoor hydroponic setup that grew 26ft long & never made a pepper, that was my fault though, but it was really funny
>>
>>2729470
Fellow zone 6 dweller here, depends what you want to grow, now is a good time to start cucumbers for example.

>>2729512
>Bell peppers
Realistically too late for them, they are usually started february-march, first half of april is late but still viable, planted in may at most you'll get a few peepers before frost comes and kills your plants.

>carrots
A bit late but no problem and no need to start them indoors, just sow directly in soil.

>onions
It's pretty late for onion but if you plant bulbs (not grocery bulbs for eating, seed bulbs they sell in gardening stores) should be fine.

>sweet potatoes
No, sweet potatoes have very long growing season, it's too late.
>>
Which northern/cold country would be best for a homestead / self-sufficient gardener where land isn't too expensive?
>>
>>2729573
Bulgaria
>>
Cane berries doing badly as first frost has come
>>
File: Planting-Zone-6.jpg (82 KB, 740x818)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2729470
Depends on what you want to plant. Look up a planting schedule for zone 6 like pic related
>>
>>2729575
Thanks
>>
>>2729096
Btw, 10-20lbs of corn seed per acre is the going rate for commercial farms who use glyphosate on round-up-ready corn to control weeds, allowing them to space their rows much closer. If you're going to be using a cultivator, spacing is at least 24-36 inches depending on tractor wheel base and such. I did 32 inch apart for rows, 9 inch spacing for seeds and it took me 8 lbs to plant over 2 acres. Basic varieties of corn are so cheap though it doesn't really make too much of a difference.
>>
>>2726259
Potatoes, yams, turnips are the best calorie crops.
Corn, Sorghum, and millet for grains.
>>
>>2726259
imho, besides corn, which will give a pretty large amount, grains aren't just viable small scale
beans are however viable as a greens though, have a row of bushes & you'll have more green beans than you'll know what to do with
i've grown mungbean & wheat before, winnowing them by hand is annoying & prone to loss, but very doable, just don't expect a huge return
>>
File: IMG_20240508_113136.jpg (2.06 MB, 2252x4000)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
This is a flower that grew on my sweet potato. I didn't know sweet potatoes flowered.

What does that mean?
>>
>>2729647
It means its actually deadly nightshade and u r already dead
>>
>>2729647
They're a member of the morning glory family after all
>>
>>2729652
>>2729655
But it is relevant to the development of the potatoes?
>>
>>2729688
Potatoes and yams are rhizomes that are the plant's overwintering root. They still propagate by flower and seed like other plants.
>>
Started okra a little late in the season. Should still be fine because it is a 60 day crop.
>>
>>2729334
>>2729335
>>2729345
>>2728879

>>2729370
Cute.
>>
A little bird snuck into my green house this morning before I opened the vent. There are any number of places it could have squeezed through to get in there. But apparently couldn't determine how to get back out.
>>
I planted some petunias in a pot that one of my trees was supposed to be put into this spring but it didn't do well enough over the winter for that.
>>
File: 1695664625790504.jpg (3.46 MB, 4000x2250)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
I'm halfway done building my two new composting bays.
After your advice I decided to make it about 129 cm (L) x 125 (W) x 120 cm (H) with 5 cm gap between them for aeration.

Now I have another question.
Those old flooring panels I used are pretty wide, 20 cm so I'm worried if they'll let enough air in through those gaps and I'm wondering if I should drill holes into them, this will however reduce their already limited stiffness and durability so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
>>
File: 1704393219552418.jpg (1.9 MB, 2250x4000)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>2729786
My hand for scale.
I'll be covering insides with landscaping fabric to reduce water loss and prevent pests from getting in but this will also reduce amount of air getting in.
>>
>>2729787
>>2729786
Gap's are fine, fabric is fine too. I compost in a big black plastic bin with a secure lid, it works fine.
>>
>>2725600
>horseradish I put a wire cage around and forgot about in a 2'x2' pot came back from last year even though I left it out all winter
Well isn't that something...now to figure out what to make with it this year.
>>
File: IMG_6974.jpg (1.74 MB, 5129x3319)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
Corn is exploding. It didn't rain for 11 days after sowing and I selectively watered the rows, which has allowed them to get this tall before the emergence of any weeds the past two days. Looks like I'll do my first cultivation in a week to ten days.

Also bros, I have about 120 watermelon seedlings growing in small cells. They do not have developed enough roots to cleanly pull them out of the tray to transplant, but I fear they are being stunted by leaving them in the small space. Most of them fall apart and leave bare root when I transplant, I know this is very stressful on the plant. However, I transplanted 6 of them two days ago like this and they are doing just fine where I planted them, despite it monsooning on them for two days. It will storm heavily again tonight, but I feel like I need to get them transplanted. Should I go ahead and pull the trigger on it?
>>
>>2729796
another thing to consider with the transplant is that after this storm system moves out, there will be a couple nights that it dips down to 49 and 50 degrees F, and I know these melons need at least 60 and preferably more. Would I be better to keep them in the trays until that passes or will soil hold its temperature for a few nights?
>>
>>2729798
I'd wait
>>
>>2729647
>>2729688
I only know about normal potatoes, but since they're potatoes it shouldn't matter. Science shows that removing the flowers before they fruit will make bigger batches of tubers, but it won't harm anything if you let them flower. They'll just make seeds like any other plant, which I hear growing from seed actually kind of bad for growing consistent quality potatoes, which is why everyone just uses seed potatoes.
>>
I want to try growing tobacco in a large pot. My dad only grows cucumber and tomato, we have a small backyard, Do I have to worry about the tobacco cross pollinating or anything like that? I'm new to gardening. I want to try growing potatos at some point too
>>
>>2729763
Very nice. Did you grow them from seed?
>>
>>2729823
Nah, it'll be fine. You can cut the flowers off the tobacco if you're really worried about it.
>>
>>2729823
>Avoiding cross pollinating tobacco
>Not enjoying sweet, sweet tomacco
Shiggy
>>
>>2729796
>They do not have developed enough roots to cleanly pull them out of the tray to transplant, but I fear they are being stunted by leaving them in the small space
The roots will let you know by filling the space. Just be patient for a few more days.
>>
>>2728943
Subterranean with sub-ground air vents..
>>
My park planted pumpkins are yellow'd and half dead. not sure why. Maybe too much water.
>>
>>2729835
Yeah I'll harvest the seeds asap
>>2729872
kek I thought the same
>>
>>2729647
if you collect the seeds you can try growing your own variety
>>
OP y u no link new bread

>>2729875
>>2729875
>>2729875
>>2729875
>>
>>2729823
Even if they crossed (which they cant, they're two different species), you'd only have problems if you kept seeds and tried to grow them.

Your concern is however unfounded
>>
>>2727762
>>2728205
it will look a bit like a ancient forrest pasture,

In the middle ages europe farmers would lead their livestock into the woods, the animals ate every small tree and only the already big one survived, over centuries this created habitats like pic rel which are now endangered as no one wants to keep livestock there and eventually will turn back into regular dense forrest.
>>
>>2728815
cherries can easily be grafted so you can grow multiple species on one tree.
>>
>>2728304
>>2728333
Look into seed sites. I forget the name of the one site I was looking at but they had seed mixes for various states IIRC. A lot of that ends up getting used at construction sites IIRC for filling in what would otherwise be missing at newly made retention ponds and the sides of highways to stabilize the ground and prevent it from becoming dusty and/or covered in invasive junk and at least attempt to bring it back to having mostly native plants. For what you end up getting it's pretty cheap.
>>
>>2725930
For some reason we favour the former and despise the latter.
Imagine if dandelions were a commercial crop for salad leaves and roots for coffee.
>>
>>2727522
>>2727533
Birds have spent the last few months digging up everything I plant, looking for worms and grubs. Literally any patch of open ground they will dig in.

Young shoots they will happily eat.

In summer and autumn they eat soft fruits, berries etc and pick/steal any produce. They even eat the blossoms from trees and plants before they produce fruits.

Spiders are my only friends. No spider ever ate my plants. But they catch all kinds of flies, beetles etc. I try to encourage spiders with long grass and it is effective in stopping pests. One time my other friend Mr Toad turned up and helped.
>>
File: 1684150453806.jpg (3.08 MB, 4624x3468)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
100% germination rate on my cucumbers and broccoli seeds too. every bell pepper seed was a bust. the 2 that did sprout were immediately mouldy. weird
>>
>>2727086
>>2726784
Brown tips usually mean a lack of moisture/humidity or too much heat in the absence of moist soil. But 9 times out of 10, it's humidity and I've solved this by making my own diy greenhouse with a humidifier to house my more humidity dependent plants.
You're over thinking the transplant process given the state of those plants. Up pot it to a slightly bigger container that'll retain water easier. Soil doesn't really matter for something as unpicky as a petunia. If you don't know anything, miracle grow will work just fine. I make my own aggregate for potting now from scratch though.
Also, what's all those specs on the flower? Dirt?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.