[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 64365346435.jpg (29 KB, 500x273)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
How well are you prepared for zombie apocalypse and what are you going to do about them pesky perky drones?
>>
>>2725771
*ducks under a tree*
psh, nothing personnel droneman
>>
File: Barter.jpg (15 KB, 190x190)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>2725771
I've recently bought some large airtight storage cases. I've filled them with bags of sugar, flour and salt. I reckon that after a few years into the post-apocalypse people will sell their daughter for a bag of precious refined sugar.

A bag of pure salt and some fine wheat flour will probably buy me 10 slaves.

Other things Im considering storing is coffee and tea, that'll probably be worth its weight in gold. Other items Im considering is tobacco, booze and candy. Luxury items that will be gone after a year tops as supermarkets and malls get looted out.

I live in a small apartment building that was built during the height of the Cold War so my cellar is also a fallout shelter with nuclear and biological air filters. The current stash should stay good for at least 3 years but due to it being in a cold dry and dark basement its probably gonna last a long longer than that.

Basically im setting myself up as a wasteland jew.
>>
>>2725771
>How well are you prepared for zombie apocalypse
I can make a pointy stick. Zombies don't stand a chance.
>>
>>2727154
what do you do with the things that are about to expire? surely you must use them much ahead of time if they’re in bulk
>>
>>2725771
I am very well prepared, however, it's a never ending process.
>>
>>2727154
Coffee is not good for long term storage, unless instant (dehydrated) coffee crystals
>>
>>2729425
Stock items without expy date as bulk of your prep, rotate other items.
>>
File: 3235360696.jpg (166 KB, 710x473)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
if you don't have a collection of seeds you're ngmi
at the bare fucking minimum, even those bags of mixed beans meant for soup are better than nothing, and with the variety of beans, you get a variety of nutrients; just keep the beans in a cool dark place & you'll be fine
and if you're worried about bugs, put them in an airtight jar / vacuum packed bag with a few bay leaves mixed inside (bay leaves will kill the bugs, its an actual legit thing, seriously, look it up)
most seeds, if kept in favorable conditions, can easily last 10 to 30 years
>>
>>2729425
>>2729508
The pro move is to sand off the expiration date so that it never expires.
>>
>>2725771
I’m prepared for more likely disasters.

>almost no debt
My house will be paid off in three years (I’ve been in it for 7, so pretty good). Both cars were paid off. No big medical expenses or credit card debt or student loans.

>solid career
My job can easily pivot into different industries, or focus on specific ones. It’s considered critical infrastructure, and I was off of work for two (2) days during the Covid nonsense.

>food
I keep a pantry stocked for hurricane season. It’s a 2 month supply, which is really overkill for the more likely stuff. I’m rotating it out now.

>actually been through SHTF scenarios
Lives in NOLA during Katrina (was 23, in Mid City). Live well outside the city now and was here during Ida (not hyped, but one of the most powerful storms to ever hit the US).
>>
>>2729691
This inspired me. Once I have a place of my own I think I'm going to keep a month's supply of stock.
>>
>>2729696
It’s fun to talk about when the shit hits the fan, the zombie apocalypse, the WWIII draft, and other crazy fantasies. It interesting to think about and ties in to general preparedness stuff.

But a financial dip (not 99% unemployment) is much more likely. Gas prices spiking can absolutely happen. There can be disruptions to food supplies. It might not be down to zero for months in end, but some things might be in short supply. Natural disasters can hit another where as well.

I think it’s a good idea to just be prepared for more likely scenarios. It’s easy too. You don’t need to stick up in ways to make cellphone jammers or homemade weapons. Just some basic stuff.

And entertainment as well. That’s something everyone glosses over. “Hurr duet I’ll be too busy surviving to need entertainment.” Nope. The electricity will be off for two weeks, you won’t be able to work, and you’ll just be stuck at home (or in your bunker lol) with nothing to do but eat and count your bullets. Most people don’t have hobbies that do t require electricity.
>>
>>2725771
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD3DgarmwV0

Worry more about helping others than those who are watching you on a drone.
>>
>>2727154
Will sugar and salt survive long term? How do you store them for long term? It's a great idea, but personally, I'd just stick to the booze
>>
>>2729928
as long as its kept in a cool dry place or sealed container, its basically never going bad, especially salt
>>
>>2725771
I'm digging a hole in the ground to build an underground storage. I'm almost done with it. Just 0.5m more and I'll start with the building
>>
File: Lotswife..jpg (220 KB, 1200x800)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>2730018
>never going bad, especially salt
saltblocks,,cheapandurable.,justack with tile on top.
>>
>>2725771
Is being fat part of the prep? Like storing calories or something?
>>
>>2729805
>And entertainment as well
This. Last year we had a big ass storm roll through that knocked out a local substation and my area was out of power for like 8 days. I have a hand crank phonograph with a couple milk crates full of 78s and that was pretty indispensable. Reading books and listening to old tunes by lantern light for a week was pretty comfy.
>>
File: 1000005518.jpg (47 KB, 600x900)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2725771
I recently bought a can sealer, but only now realize empty cans are stupid expensive to the consumer slaves.
A #2.5 can (think large soup can) is $3, empty.
I'd be throwing money away to seal perishables at that cost. I was going to buy some bulk, freeze dried food and seal it.
Does anyone know where I could obtain cans cheaper?
>>
>>2731129
They sell all sorts of slop in large cans for low cost. Surely there's a wholesaler who you can get 300 from at a fraction, just look into it further.
>>
File: 1000005519.jpg (411 KB, 1080x2400)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
>>2731130
That's what I'm trying to do. Alibaba prices the cans around $0.60 - so it must be less than that if they can make a few dozen and ship them around the world for a profit.
I reached out to local packaging companies without luck. I looked for canneries within driving distance. Next I was planning on calling the local extension office, but it's not a common thing on my area (seems more common in Alaska to can fish).
The Mormon's are into can sealing, but they use #10. I could try them too. Homebrewers are starting to can beer at a reasonable price, but those are different and don't fit my sealer
>>
>>2729425
First thing to expire is late 2026, the flour, I figure it'll last longer than that in the good storage conditions but once it nears expiration I'll take it out and start using it and replace with a new batch.

>>2729507
I found some instant coffee in cans that lasts for 3 years in normal storage conditions. If coffee gets rationed/stops coming I don't think people will give a shit if its shitty instant coffee

>>2729928
The sugar and salt is my least concern, they're in a dark cool place in airtight containers with de-moisturizing silica gel in them. It'll basically last forever
>>
>>2729805
>But a financial dip (not 99% unemployment) is much more likely.
On one hand, yeah, financial crises are absolutely more likely than many other emergencies and probably the first thing most people should be prepping for. On the other hand, surely everyone already has financial security as a goal? Like, if you tell someone they should pay down their debt and have enough savings to ride out an illness or period of unemployment, aren't most people just going to say "yeah, I'm fucking trying". Maybe some people need the reminder.
And it's not like a sensible amount of preps will have any real impact on someone's finances ... you're more paying down a mortgage for the cost of water filter, a first aid kit and a few dozen pounds of rice.
>>
>>2729691
this, my retirement is on track, house will be paid off in around 7 years. job security is better than average. I have a 12 month emergency fund. I have a couple guns and know how to use them. I could go 3 months without leaving for food, water, or fuel. If you camp and have a couple key items like a battery bank and solar you're pretty much set.

people think they're going to die from roaming zombie hoards. they're really going to die from bad water, mal nutrition and infected scrapes because they don't have first aid supplies.
>>
>>2731288
>surely everyone already has financial security as a goal?
nope. you'd be really surprised who shitty the average Americans personal finances are. like unbelievably bad. I work in finance. Half of people can't come up with 1000 dollars without putting it on credit. Half. Only about 20% are save more than 5% of their income a year. Financial shit hit the fan is coming for everyone. It might be an economic downturn or it might be nothing happening and getting to retirement age to find out social security means you're going to be eating nothing but rice and beans ever. a medical hiccup puts you into bankruptcy.

No bad debt (anything but a house) and an emergency fund should be priority number 2. The only thing more important than that is your health.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.