[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000000352.jpg (134 KB, 1500x938)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
britbong here. I'll save the details as they're quite mundane, though essentially I've lost my job and my place at university. I figure there's nothing tying me to this country anymore, so I've decided to go to America and be a travelling hobo/hiker. I'm somewhat an intermediate outdoorsman but wanted to ask for any suggestions from you guys on how to make my life easier/not get murdered.

> planning to stay until deported/find meaning
> will start out with about $4000
> can't drive
> will likely stay on East Coast as I'm terrified of being eaten by a grizzly
> stealth camping the majority of the trip

I'm hoping to visit some cities/towns throughout the trip. how hard is it to find stealth spots? cities are quite small here, so I don't have a reference, but is it feasible to cover the span of most cities in a day? Where's best to stash my gear for a day or so? I plan to make my money busking as I'm a skilled musician, is this a good idea?
>>
>>2726453
>so I've decided to go to America
No thanks, we're full. Stay in your own country and be a failure there.
On the other hand, some flabby brit getting winded from attempting to hike up a hill and then eventually getting detained and deported for larping like a vagrant is kind of funny.
>>
>>2726453
how good are you at sucking cock? because that's going to matter.
>>
>>2726454
> flabby
I have a 6 pack and am going to have sex with your women.
>>
>>2726458
male prostitutes in drag aren't women son.
>>
>>2726453
Get that depression of yours sorted out and you'll realize you can remain a functioning person while still taking a sabbatical to go backpacking.
>>
>>2726522
men who dress as women become women if they dress female full time
>>
>>2726453
Why not do your maladaptive daydreaming fantasy in your own country? Genuine question, you'll still get British government gibs if you don't disappear off the map to them.
>>
I support you bongbro. I'd do the same if I was born in Grim Shitain.
>will likely stay on East Coast as I'm terrified of being eaten by a grizzly
bad idea, if you stick to this, you will want to choose a place/region very, very carefully. You would be extremely lucky to see a bear or a cougar out here, people search their entire life without finding one. I'm from Oregon and the only bear I've ever seen was in South Florida, believe it or not.
>how hard is it to find stealth spots?
Extremely easy, but everything is so far spread out. Getting from town to town without a car is hell especially if youre poor. Competition for hobos is fierce these days. I would pick a small region very carefully and get familiar with it before trying to be on the road 24/7. Personally I'm going to build a shack near Issaquah, Washington. If you are going hobomode in America, you should be doing it around people that deserve to have you pooping in their yard, that's why most come to the west coast.
>>
Hike the Appalachian Trail. It is basically a 2,000 mile long hippy orgy people take 3 months to complete. Everyone sleeps in tents, hammocks or the many trail side , shelters, hostels and motels.
The AT has a community of its own that is perfect for someone that wants to be a travelling hobo / hiker.
Seriously, research the Appalachian Trail.
>>
More info on the Appalachian Trail. You can fly into Atlanta's International airport. Take the Atlanta mass transit MARTA from the airport to the Sandy Springs Georgia REI store.
The REI store in Sandy Springs Georgia has a shuttle that will take you to Amicalola State Park. Amicalola State Park has an approach trail that is 8 miles long that goes to the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail at Springer Mountain Georgia.
Once you are at Amicalola Falls State Park you are basically fucking off along the Appalachian Trail for as long as you want.
Do your own research . There are a ton of You Tube videos of people hiking the AT.
>>
>>2726453
maybe knowing basic things like how to look up the range of an animal

also americans do not give money to buskers much, and only in very densely populated cities.
>>
>>2726453
Went on a very short hitchhiking trip during my vagabond stage. I can only recommend the western US. Eastern, southern, and mid-western seems bland as hell to me.
Protect yourself when hitchhiking, follow your guy instinct, have an escape plan.
Have a paper map.
Stash away some money to sleep in comfort once every couple weeks, ie. in a cheap motel. Sleeping outside wears on you and makes you sore and grumpy because it's hard to sleep well.
Best sleep I had outside was not in a city, but was on a beach on the Oregon coast because you can kind of fashion the sand to the contours of your body.
>>
>>2726453
I'd recommend visiting the east, central, and western US. As there is beauty everywhere and in the full breadth thereof in seeing the many diverse places. Doing a cross country is one way to do this in a single trip, even if you are only able to see a fraction of it. Feeling the gestalt of the land as a whole.
>>
>>2726454
Don’t be mean, OP plans to be disassociated from society and honestly that’s better than any southern border Venezuelan coming over here for subsidies. His 4000 britbong moneies will add more to the US economy than most legal immigrants could.
>>
>>2726599
>get that depression of yours sorted out
Well said by someone who has probably never been depressed
>>
>living like this is like a form of suicide where you don’t kill yourself. A form of suicide where you keep living

I believe in you anon! Dont listen to the detractors telling you not to do this, this is YOUR life and it is better that you LIVE it than to hang yourself. The definition of insanity is trying something over and over hoping for a different result. IF you have exhausted every outlet for your depression in the UK, then there is no reason to continue being there. The BEST therapy for depression is radical lifestyle change in which you feel in charge of your destiny and there is no better way of doing that than feeling first hand the consequences of living in the woods.
The people on here will taunt and mock you, meanwhile people with your exact woes are off the grid enjoying nature and almost any hermit you meet will recommend this lifestyle. it is not easy. It will be hard, but so much more rewarding than what these weekend warriors on here tell you.

Some things to consider. Youre a UK citizen, why not apply for an expedited application for Canadian citizenship seeing as it is British commonwealth? You could do this for really any commonwealth country, New Zealand or Australia. In fact I think if you’re dead set on east coast USA, you should consider getting a Canadian citizenship and just border hopping to Maine.

Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are the jewels of East Coast nature in the US. You could also live in Newfoundland/ Labrador and work as a fisherman or longshoreman. Maybe you will find comfort in a small beach town, where you know everyone’s name and they value your presence.

That said if youre focused on just living in the woods I recommend a few things.
>>
>>2727243
One: I recommend you increase your savings to 10k if possible. The US is extremely expensive and the food alone will bankrupt you. If you double your savings half can be used for raw food materials for cooking and the rest for essentials.

Two: The second youre off that plane you will hit the ground running. The east coast is cold so obviously come here at the end of winter.

Three: Hygiene is super important so get a gym membership so you can shower. That will cost you about 150usd for a year membership and 27usd for each month. IDK how you can get a membership if not using a checking account so definitely something to be weary if you truly want to be off the grid.

Four: Become knowledgeable on foraging. I recommend you get iNaturalist and use it as a guide on where to find blueberries, hawthorns, rosehips, pawpaw, walnut, etc. I know this will upset the people on here, but there is nothing wrong with taking a few apples from an orchard either. I recommend you read up on the most important foraging family Ericaceae and Rosaceae.

Five: Learn to be cheap about survival. Many people break the bank buying camping crap when in reality all that equipment is super cheap and easy to build or make. So many products you could just google the SDS for and figure out how to make from scratch.
>>
>>2726453
In some cities and towns you need a permit to busk. They'll scan your ID and detect britbong. If you attempt unskilled manual labor to raise cash, you'll need to speak mexican and they'll probably kill you for the money once you've accumulated cash. The invaders here today often hail from foreign prisons.

I think AT, starting in GA like the poaster above suggested, is a good idea. Fellow hikers will be kind to you and the brit accent will probably get you laid by outdoor girls/dudes. The US west is too vast and rugged, you could easily find yourself in trouble fast with no phone reception and help is 100+ miles away. I wouldn't linger in Apelanta, if they see a white dude carrying a pack and a guitar, they may rob you. But the AT is very nice and mostly forgiving and quite doable.

Even the AT is lengthy though and since you'll be carrying more weight than the average through hiker, presumably, you'll be slower. This is important because you'd be heading S up to N, and by mid-November and certainly December you can freeze to death. Maine has brutal, fatal winter weather in particular, I don't believe it gets -30F sustained in the UK.

We have cheap discount stores galore, so 4k can be stretched a fair way depending on your diet. Others on trail will generally share. There is also dumpster diving, which can be gourmet and healthy but can also lead to trouble if unwise or unlucky.

The important thing is to do this endeavor. Many thousands have enjoyed, ultimately, the exact scenario you contemplate. Let those who care know where you are and perhaps leave a bit of dosh behind so it can be wired to you via Western Union or the like.

Good luck, anon, this most likely will be awesome and provide direction in life.
>>
Good luck anon, you'll have a great time here! American culture is different, but you're not going to get shot or any shit like that. Big things if you're serious about this:

>Pay up a bit of money and get a couchsurfing account
It's a website and app that get you in touch with people who WANT to give you a free place to sleep and show you around their city. We don't have hostels, and airbnbs are as a expensive as regular ass hotels now, you're saving money by spending on this. The whole system works off of reviews, which means the first one is the hardest. If you have the time or means I strongly recommend making your account now and getting a review before you leave home - either as a guest or a host. Have your parents help, or get a friend to make a free account and give a 5 star review after he "hosted" you, just so you can have a name telling other people that you're a normal, safe person

>Spend some money on a good backpack and sleeping bag. Figure out what you're going to bring and get used to carrying the weight
Tent is optional, I didn't have one and there were times I wished I did. Get a smaller backpack you can use when you have a safe place to stash your gear, but sometimes you'll need to carry all of it, all day, every step. Pack clothes that let you do different things: have something to wear at a bar on a Friday night, but also something to hike in, or catch a ride in

>Learn to hitchhike
This could be a whole thread, the most important thing is that it's ok to turn down a ride. Expect getting a ride to take an hour, you need to stay cheerful the whole time. It's not personal. Most cars will drive right past you, all you care about is the one that stops for you.

>Learn to dumpster dive
Americans love throwing out perfectly good food. Start off with bakeries, they'll help you get used to eating trash food. Go into pizza places at closing time and politely ask for some food they're going to throw out - it's only embarrassing the first time.
>>
>>2727656
>Out of sight out of mind
This is your slogan for sleeping. There's lots of parks or even just random bits of foliage all over American towns, if it's dark and nobody sees you, you're free to sleep there. Find a place early and then come back to it at night, then wake up before dawn and get going somewhere; the time right before and after park hours are the most important. The underside of an underpass is loud, makes for bad sleeping. There is strength in numbers and local wisdom: if a bunch of homeless people are somewhere, it's an ok place to be. They also know if free food is going to be passed out somewhere.

>Misc:
Americans are used to buskers, that'll be a good way to make some money/friends. Just keep an eye out and scram if someone decides to be a cunt about you.
Go out West, I promise you're not going to get eaten by a bear. America is gorgeous and has an insane variety, you're doing yourself a disservice to not at least see the Grand Canyon. Read some Jack Kerouac and find out why he called Denver the Gateway to the West. No guarantee you'll find meaning East of the Mississippi.
If a fast food restaurant is open 24 hours, you can simply stay there all night. Workers don't get paid enough to give a shit, just buy another burger if need be. They all have free wifi and outlets to charge your phone.
You don't have a car, but: You can park in a walmart parking lot for 24 hours. BLM Land (Bureau of Land Management) is free to camp on.
You're solo traveling, that means you decide how long you stay in the same place. You're the master of your own fate. Embrace the adventure and err on the side of leaving people too quickly than outstaying your welcome - always leave on a good note if they're gonna review you.
And finally, have fun :) visit cool museums and art galleries, chat up the front desk worker and get in for free! Go to the amateur rodeo night! Chat up a cute stranger in a coffee shop! You'll never see her again, you can say whatever you want!
>>
>>2727656
>>2727671
man thank you so much for all the thoughtful advice. and yes I am deadly serious about this. I'll be flying out either this summer or next spring. I've made an account on that couch surfing app you recommended and have already bought/own the majority of the equipment I'll need. I'll screen cap all of the advice in this thread and post them when I do another update upon landing.
>>
>>2727339
I plan to pack some means of self defense also, though I am reluctant to purchase an actual firearm due to the different states having different laws regarding them. Would an imitation or airsoft replica suffice? Barring that I'll likely grab some pepper spray or a large knife.
>>
>>2727681
Sabre Red is the best pepper spray/cs gas gel you can buy. Works on people and dogs. You can't fly with it though, so you have to acquire it here and some states don't permit sales to the public (LEO only).

I'm a gun owner and believe you shouldn't even consider purchasing a firearm. If legal, how would you pass the internic test, you won't have legal residence. If illegal, it will catch up with you. If you produced a replica here in Chicago we would just shoot you dead without hesitation, collect our casings and move along. The clearance rate in many places is less than 15%. Don't even.

Just trust your gut instincts and avoid sketchy scenes. Unfort, I would not trust anybody entirely short term. Great folks here but all countries have their psychopaths and America is a huge place.

It should be exciting enough. Have the time of your life, kid. If there should be a snag and you need to return early, you were not defeated, you can come back again, legally or else across our open borders. Relax.
>>
>>2727756
Yeah do not try to get a fucking gun, anon. Hitchhiking and couchsurfing is about being fun, kind, and unthreatening so people want to help you. If someone looks at you and thinks "this is the kind of guy who would pull a gun on me" you have fucked up. Having a knife or hatchet in your gear is fine because those are tools, not weapons. A fake gun is quite possibly an even worse idea. Pepper spray is your best choice, outside of not getting into bad situations in the first place. You are so much more likely to get questioned by a cop for being in a park past 9pm than mugged by some gangster or violent homeless guy in an alley.

Hitchhikers are strange and mysterious to people, you're either the first one someone has met, or helping out hitchhikers is a hobby of theirs. While travelling you are inherently interesting to anyone you talk to, you can make friends with just about anyone by telling them a story and then listening to them talk about their lives. Collect their stories and you can tell them later to someone else. There's a tip: get a small journal and write down what happens to you, even just the broad strokes. Time passes and I don't remember all the people I met on my trip anymore.
>>
>>2726453
no, dont do it. not usa.
i dont want to encourage this lifestyle but its easy af in the forests and mountans of norway and sweden.
>>
We ship all of our criminals to Australia, and all of our failures to America.
UK is only for the best of the best and I do like that.
>>
>>2726827
yep i saw a grizzly bear in that little speck of orange in montana at glacier national park

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.